USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II > Part 11
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34
The children were all adults. Her son, Henry Mould, Sr., had mar- ried Miss Anne Scribener, and had a family of children, and Catherine's two grown daughters were of the party. Their home had been in Chet- sey, Surrey Co., England, and when they reached America they contin- ued their journey by tedious stages to Zanesville, O.
Here they all remained for four years when Catherine's grandson, Henry Mould, Jr., who was quite musical, came to Cleveland, and in company with Nathan Brainard opened a music-store, the first one in which music and all kinds of musical instruments were sold exclusively.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Mould, Sr., had a fine family of boys and girls whose intermarriages with well-known Cleveland families began, soon after their arival, which was two or three years after the eldest son located here, and which their posterity has continued to do.
466
1834
EDWARD LYON
Children of Henry and Anne Mould :
Henry Mould, m. Louisa Hicks. He died in Boston, Mass.
Brooks Mould, m. Jane Everett of Boston.
Edmund Mould, m. Jane Parsons. He died in Cleveland.
Wilberforce Mould, m. Elisabeth
Parsons, sister of above. He lives in California.
Anne Mould, m. Horatio N. Bost- wick. (His second wife.)
Caroline Mould, m. Peter Numsen. Emily Mould, m. Silas Brainard.
Laura Mould, m. Henry Brainard.
Fanny Mould, m., died in Zanesville.
Wilberforce and Emily Munson Brainard are the only surviving mem- bers of the family in 1910.
Henry Mould, Sr., associated himself with his son-in-law, Peter Num- sun, in the confectionery business, which also included fancy bakery and catering, and this firm was a household word with two or three genera- tions of our citizens. Part of the time "Mould & Numsen" was located on Superior street, and for some years it occupied a store in a small brick block which was built on the northern end of the Williamson's resident property. There was a fine hall connected with it, and for years it was the scene of fashionable parties and balls.
E. R. Numsen, a son of Peter and Caroline Mould Numsen, married a daughter of Judge Tilden, and continues a resident of the city.
Henry Mould, Sr., and his family resided in the eastern half of Leon- ard Case's double brick house on Rockwell street, standing back of the new post-office, and in after years they removed to Prospect street, just east of the Osborn Building.
Catherine Mould, the beloved grandmother, died in 1842, aged 80. Henry Mould, Sr., died in 1861, aged 69, and the following year his wife, Anne Scribener Mould, joined him on the other side. There are none of the name now living in the city, though many of the descendants in the female lines.
Mrs. Emily Mould Brainard is the last of her generation still with us. She is spending this winter, 1909, with her son in his beautiful home, "Clovercrest," on Euclid Ridge, and spends her summers with her two unmarried daughters in a summer cottage four miles farther east.
Mrs. Brainard is a fine type of the lady of a long past generation, stately, refined, courteous, hospitable, and altogether womanly. She is tenderly loved by her children and grandchildren, and ten times has proudly borne the title of great-grandmother. (Since deceased.)
The Mould family rest in Erie street cemetery.
1834 EDWARD LYON
One of the saddest events of the cholera season of 1834 was the death of a bride.
A September issue of the Cleveland Herald contained this announce- ment :
467
1834
JOHN E. LYON
"Married-By Rev. John Keep, Edward Lyon of the Franklin House to Mrs. Myrette Price of Hudson, O."
In December following :
"Died-Mrs. Myrette Lyon, at Franklin House, consort of Edward Lyon, and daughter of Dr. Hitchcock of Sandy Hill, N. Y., aged 34 years."
"Her funeral took place on Sunday, attended by a larger concourse of people than is often witnessed in this place. The marriage of the above couple was announced in our paper as having taken place just three months previous to the day of her burial."
Mrs. Lyon was the daughter of Dr. Zina and Mabel Lockwood Hitch- cock. She was an aunt of the Cleveland pioneer, James Kent Hitchcock. Her first husband, to whom she was married when 20 years of age, was Capt. William Price. They had three children: Barton Price, William Price, and Charles Price, and her death in 1834 left the three little boys orphans.
The writer infers that Edward Lyon was landlord of the Franklin Home, previously built and kept by Philo Scoville. His antecedents have not been ascertained, nor his subsequent history. His name does not ap- pear in the city directory, two years later, at which time Benjamin Harrington had charge of the hotel.
Evidently, Mrs. Myrette Price was a second wife, for, on the head- stone in Erie st. cemetery, is the following :
"Amoret, daughter of Ebenezer (?) and Clarissa Lyman, and wife of Edward Lyon, died 1831, aged 21 years."
E. O. Lyman is in the directory of 1836. Occupation, book-keeper.
In the late summer of 1835, Edward Lyon married 3rd, at Ken- tucky Springs, Mrs. M. M. Langton of Cincinnati.
1834
JOHN E. LYON
John E. Lyon & Co., forwarding and commission merchants, were located at 30 Merwin street, in 1836, and James Lyon was book-keeper for the firm.
John Edward Lyon and his brother James were the sons of James and Ann Forman Lyon of Oswego, N. Y. The brothers were both young, John E. being but 23 years, and James Lyon 19 years of age.
But the former seemed to have much business ability and continued to be a successful Cleveland merchant for many years.
He married Catherine M. Tracey, sister of James Jared Tracey the banker, who died recently at an advanced age.
468
1834
SMYTH
Mrs. Lyon was a lovely woman physically and mentally. Her neigh- bors on St. Clair street, where the Lyon family lived for some years, speak of her as whole-souled, kind and considerate, a finely bred woman, accustomed to a gentle environment and the best things of life, yet able to adapt herself gracefully to conditions less favorable. Her sister, Susan Tracey, wife of Ashabel Barney, was also a sweet-mannered, gracious lady, whom every one, who knew her, recalled with pleasure.
John E. Lyon removed to New York City.
James Lyon also left the city, married, and made his home in Chi- cago.
1834
SMYTH
William Smyth, of the firm of Smyth & Clary, dealers in produce, ship chandlery, etc., No. 10 Merwin st., lived first at 30 Seneca st., but later on Ontario street, south of the Square, when that locality was a fashion- able resident district. His wife, Mrs. Harriet Granger Smyth, was re- nowned as a beauty in Buffalo, her childhood home, and in Cleveland, where she spent her short married life. For she died young, leaving no children, and all that was mortal of her sister, Sarah Granger, and her- self rest in old Erie street cemetery.
William Smyth married 2nd, Betsey E. - , who was born in 1811, and survived Mr. Smyth 32 years.
In the last years of her life, Mrs. Betsey Smyth resided in a pleasant home on Hamilton street, corner of Wood, East 3rd. "She had held a conspicuous place in social life, and had been a member of Old Trinity church many years. Her only son, Charles G. Smith, lost his health and subsequently his life through his services to his country during the civil war.
William Smyth died in 1861, aged 51 years. The whole family lie in Erie st. cemetery.
William Smyth had three sisters living in Cleveland at an early day. Eliza, Martha, and Jane. They were the children of Richard and Pru- dence Smyth of Detroit, Mich.
Eliza married Charles M. Giddings. They lived for a time in a large stone house which he erected for that purpose on the north-east corner of the Public Square and Ontario street. N. E. Crittenden lived there afterward, and the Society for Savings building now stands upon the spot.
Mr. and Mrs. Giddings removed to the corner of Euclid Ave. and the street which bears, or did bear, their name, where they died many years ago. They had no children.
Mrs. Prudence Smyth, widow of Richard and mother of Mrs. Gid- dings, Mrs. Hiram Wilson, and William Smyth, rests in Erie street ceme- tery.
469
1834
MURFEY
Capt. John Murfey of Colchester, Conn., was the father of four Cleve- land pioneers.
The mother of these children, Ardelissa Southworth, and her sister, Parnissa, were the twin daughters of William A. Southworth.
The Colchester Murfeys were of Scotch-Irish descent, their ances- tor being one of a company of North Ireland Presbyterians who settled in Colchester in the 17th century. Among them were the Murfeys, Lang- fords, Clarks, and McCarteys, all educated, refined people, whose de- scendants have been noted for their high Christian character and good breeding.
The Murfey family that came to Cleveland in 1834 were:
William Aspinwall Murfey, b. 1812. Gardner Bowen Murfey, b. 1820. Eliza Murfey Clark, b. 1814. Fanny C. Murfey, b. 1822.
W. A. and G. B. Murfey were hardware merchants, doing business at 33 Superior street. They had a partner, S. H. Potter, who lived on Erie street, between Euclid and Superior. The firm sold out to William Bingham & Co.
W. A. Murfey removed to Chicago, where he married and had one son, James Clark Murfey. Gardner B. Murfey, his younger brother, re- mained in the city and in business the remainder of his life.
Fanny Murfey never married, but lived here with her brothers and sisters, and when she died was buried in one of the family lots.
Gardner B. Murfey married Julia Ann Latham, who was born in Thetford, Vt., in 1821. She came to Cleveland on a visit to her sister, Lucy Latham Kelly, wife of T. M. Kelly, a pioneer merchant of this city.
Another sister of Mrs. G. B. Murfey, Azuba Latham, married D. N. Barney, also a Cleveland merchant of an early day.
These sisters, Mrs. Kelley, Mrs. Murfey, and Mrs. Barney, were the daughters of William H. Latham of Lyme, N. H., who removed to Thet- ford, Vt., and died there. His American ancestor, Robert Latham, came as a lad of 15 years with John Carver in the Mayflower and married Susannah Winslow, daughter of Governor Winslow.
The mother of the three sisters was Azuba Jenks, daughter of Zacha- riah and Sarah Tyler Jenks, and their father, William H. Latham, was a captain of infantry in the war of 1812.
The children of Gardner B. and Julia Latham Murfey :
William Latham Murfey, m. Flor- ence Gale.
Charles Latham Murfey, m. Flor- ence Spenser, daughter of A. K. Spenser.
Gardner Bowen Murfey, unmarried. Lauer Aspinwall Murfey, m. Nina Armstrong.
Julia Murfey, m. Charles Harper of Pittsburg.
James Clark Murfey, unmarried.
Edward Lyon Murfey, m. Rose Rich- ardson.
Lucy E. Murfey, m. Edward Morri- son of N. Y.
470
1834
WOODWARD
Mrs. Julia Latham Murfey is the only surviving member of the Mur- fey and Latham families. She is a beautiful old lady, possessing all the charm that clings to the well-born woman of years long gone. She cele- brated her 90th birthday recently in the home of her son, Charles L. Murfey on Cleveland Heights.
1834
W. WOODWARD
The editor of the Cleveland Advertiser in 1834 was W. Woodward, who had taken charge of that newspaper but a few months when he lost his wife suddenly in the cholera epidemic that proved fatal to many others in town.
"Dec. 19-Died Mrs. Eliza Ann Woodward, wife of the editor of this paper. During her brief residence here she had secured many friends, by whom her last moments of suffering were soothed and who, although they could not avert the pangs of death, by their sympathy and kind at- tention in some measure alleviated its distress." Cleveland Advertiser.
1834
SLOANE
Olive Douglas of Canaan, Conn., born 1748, daughter of Asa Douglas, a revolutionary soldier, and sister of Major Asa Douglas, also a patriot of 1776, married Gen. Samuel Sloane of Williamstown, Mass.
General and Mrs. Samuel Sloane had a small family of children, one daughter of whom married Dr. Caswell; another daughter married, and her daughter in turn became the wife of Governor John T. Hoffman of New York.
The son of Samuel and Olive Sloane, Major Douglas Wheeler Sloane, was born in 1785. He was a graduate of Williams College in the class of 1803. He served in the war of 1812, on the staff of Gen. Whiting.
He seems to have been quite a man of affairs in Williamstown, and interested in many things. It is claimed, for instance, that he imported the first merino sheep into this country.
Business reverses evidently overtook him, for, in 1834, when about 50 years of age, he left the east and with his family took up a residence in Cleveland. He was very dignified and courteouse in his manners, the model of a gentleman of the old school. He held office under the U. S. government, as Receiver of Moneys, and died in 1839, while absent from home in New Albany, Ind. He was buried in old Erie street cemetery.
The Williamstown residence of the family was a very fine Colonial mansion, now occupied by President Garfield of Williams College.
471
1834
SLOANE
Major Douglas W. Sloane married in 1810 Maria Cogswell, daugh- ter of Lieut, Samuel and Mary Backus Cogswell, of Lansingburg, N. Y. In her infancy her father lost his life through an accident, and her mother married 2nd, Rev. Ebenezer Fitch, first president of Williams College.
Mrs. Maria Sloane was considered a most beautiful and attractive woman.
From the first year of her residence here she took a high position in the social and religious life of the village, soon to be incorporated as a city, and entered with zeal and enthusiasm into every good work and benevolent enterprise. She is said to have originated the Maternal Asso- ciation, and was active in the Magdalen Association in its effort to rescue or raise the fallen. Her sympathy and her time were ever cheerfully given to every organized effort to instruct the ignorant, help the poor and depressed, and to elevate the standard of social and religious life.
Soon after the arrival of the family in Cleveland, the older daughters opened a select school for young ladies, and their advertisement in the Cleveland Herald of that year states that they were recently pupils of a celebrated eastern school.
The family resided at 52 Bank street for some years; afterward re- moved to Euclid Ave., west of Erie, East 9th.
The children of Major Douglas W. and Maria Cogswell Sloane:
Elisabeth Sloane, b. 1811.
Maria Sloane, b. 1813; married 1835 Parker Handy. Children : Mrs. Robert Bliss, Mrs. Wm. H. Van Dorn.
Douglas Cogswell Sloane, b. 1815. Died in Cleveland.
Harriet Douglas Sloane, b. 1817.
Susan Sloane, b. 1819; m. 1st, Jona- than Gillette, a Cleveland mer- chant; 2nd, Hon. William T. Ba- con of Utica, N. Y. She died 1899.
Catherine Sloane, b. 1821; m. Jo- seph F. Kirlkland, a Cleveland merchant.
Cornelia Kirkland Sloane, b. 1827; m. Parker Handy, widower of her sister Maria. Children: Parker Douglas Handy, Cornelia Sloane Handy. Parker Handy, Sr., died 1890. Cornelia K. Handy died 1904.
The loss of property, which had been such a blow to the family, en- tailing, as it did, corresponding loss of ease and many comforts, was slight compared to the sorrow that clouded every year of its sojourn in Cleveland. Mrs. Sloane was destined to part, one after another, with four of her lovely, accomplished daughters, her only son, and her hus- band.
Maria, aged 22, and Harriet, aged 18 years, died in 1835.
Douglas was 21 years old at his death in 1836.
Elisabeth, the first born, died in 1838, aged 27.
Major Douglas Sloane died suddenly in 1839, and Catharine, 22 years of age, and but two years a bride, followed him in 1843. All in the space of eight years.
472
1834
CLARK
Through all this bereavement, enough to appall the strongest heart, Mrs. Sloane bore herself with a fortitude that only a high-bred woman -sustained by the traditions of family and her own noble characteristics of mind and heart-could attain. She passed from earth in 1870 at the New York City residence of Mrs. Parker Handy.
Her grandson, Parker Handy, Jr., possesses several fine portraits of the Sloane family, among which are those of his great-grandparents, Sam- uel and Olive Douglas Sloane; also in the library of his beautiful home in West 87th street, New York, hang the portraits of his parents, Parker and Cornelia Sloane Handy, Sr.
1834
CLARK
Aaron Clark, son of Peck and Polly Kellogg Clark, came to Cleveland from Conneaut, Ohio, in 1834. He was then 23 years old, of the highest moral character, and full of life and energy. He made his home for the first five months with his mother's brother, James Kellogg. At that time, A. S. Chapman was filling the unexpired term of the late county auditor, Orville B. Skinner, who had recently died. Mr. Skinner had been out of health for months, and the work of the office had fallen behind. Mr. Chapman engaged young Clark as his assistant. The former was not familiar with the routine of the office, and, having much private busi- ness of his own, he entrusted Clark with his public duties, coming in occasionally to see how affairs were progressing.
The auditor's office was on the first floor of the courthouse, and west of the hall that ran through the building. Every Saturday the village was thronged with people from the country, and the auditor's office was a meeting-place for many, and soon Mr. Clark became well acquainted throughout the county.
His daily routine was to arise at five o'clock, and after a bath and physical exercise, he would go to the office, read a chapter in his Bible, and then study until breakfast-time. His office-work covered nine hours a day, but he found time for much reading and for study. His small library was remarkable for his youth and the times. It included Greek books, philosophy, works on chemistry and botany, the law, and religion. A beautifully kept journal, covering all those early years, is preserved by his daughter Mrs. James King. It is of inestimable value to any writer of local history, as it contains facts and data not otherwise to be secured. Extracts from this journal will be found in this work, under the years to which they refer. Mr. Clark was naturally spiritual, and
473
1834
BRAINARD
in the long years in which he was a member of Trinity Episcopal church, seldom missed a service.
In June, 1835, he boarded with Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Rice, whose home was then on Euclid ave. A mutual friendship was then established that lasted through life. In 1836, Samuel Williamson, the newly appointed auditor, re-engaged him for his deputy.
The romance of Mr. Clark's life began when he met Mary Hamlin Beardsley, daughter of David H. Beardsley. She was 18 years old, very pretty, and quite artistic. The Beardsleys lived in a story-and-a-half frame-house on the south-west corner of St. Clair and Ontario streets. The following year Mary went to Cambridge, Ohio, on a visit to her uncle David Hersch. Aaron Clark followed her there, and they were mar- ried in October, 1837, at the residence of Mr. Hersch. Their life together was comparatively brief. Mrs. Clark was never physically strong, and she died in 1843, of the scourge of those days-tuberculosis.
Aaron Clark married 2nd, Caroline E. Bingham, the beloved and only sister of William and Edward Bingham. She was born in Andover, Conn., in 1818, and was a gentle, winsome lady, with delicate features and charming manners. She made her home an ideal one for her husband and children, and her hospitality was proverbial. She died in 1891. The fam- ily lived for years on Eagle street, near Erie.
The children of Aaron and Caroline Clark :
Mary Ella Clark, b. 1846; m. Edgar E. Strong of Cleveland.
Nellie Clark, m. James A. King, son of Zenas King of Cleveland.
William B. Clark, m. Kate E. Rock- Abby Clark. Kenneth Clark.
well.
1834
BRAINARD
For four generations the name of Brainard to Cleveland residents has been associated with music-sheet music, instrumental music, and, to those of a past generation, Melodian Hall. One of the finest organists of the city was a Brainard, and one of the best known music teachers.
And, for that reason, the little street connecting Euclid Ave. with Prospect street, now known as East 4th, might appropriately have been called "Music street," so given over was it to the different households of the Brainard family who dominated the eastern side of it.
The first man, and for some years the only one to live in the street, was a sheriff, and, probably through seeking him in his home or in direct- ing others to it, people gave it the name of Sheriff street.
In the days of the Brainards, covering nearly half a century, it bore a quiet, aristocratic air, and though the houses on its western side were simple, frame-dwellings, many well-known families from time to time lived in them. It was a very pretty, attractive street: forest-trees lined it on either side, and their branches formed an arch of green overhead.
474
1834
BRAINARD
A brick cottage with a close-cut lawn stood on the corner now occupied by the Opera House, and the other corner, in earlier years, was a vacant lot upon which eventually was erected St. Paul's P. E. Church.
Back of the brick cottage a peach-orchard flourished for many years, and then came the Brainard homes, Nathan, and his sons, Silas, Henry, George, and Joseph, though not in the order named.
In time the families built a fine brick block of four residences in which two or more of them lived. It was considered a fine structure in that day. The two upper stories of this building are yet visible above the shops now covering the lower part of it.
Nathan Brainard, the founder of the Cleveland branch of the family, was nearly 50 years old when he came west with his wife and seven chil- dren, the eldest a daughter 22 years of age, and the youngest yet an infant.
He was the son of Jabez and Lucy Bingham Brainard and was born in Lemster, N. H., where he resided until 1823, when he removed to Washington, a town in the same state, of which he was a pioneer and subsequently its postmaster. Eleven years later he once more sold out his business interests and homestead in order to begin life again in this western town. But the Brainard family suffered none of the priva- tions here that earlier settlers experienced. Already Cleveland was ambi- tious to assume the role of a city and only two years later the wish was gratified.
Nathan Brainard engaged in mercantile pursuits, and, in addition started with Henry Mould, the sale of music and musical instruments. It was begun in a very modest way, and probably he never dreamed that it would prove to be the small nucleus of a business that would become celebrated all over the country.
Mrs. Nathan Brainard, the mother of 10 children, and who twice had sacrificed cherished household and personal effects through the family flittings, was 44 years old when she left her native state.
She was Fanny Bingham, her husband's cousin and the daughter of James and Mary Willey Bingham. Her life must have been rich in ex- perience, but unfortunately, little has been preserved for her grandchildren.
The name Bingham is significant of gentle birth and tradition, and, undoubtedly, she was kind and wise in her family, and a valuable neigh- bor. She experienced sorrow, as six of her ten children preceded her to the Other Shore.
She died in 1855 aged 65 years, and was laid away in Erie street cem- etery near the main drive.
Mr. Brainard's small music store was No. 34 Superior street, and the firm name was Brainard & Mould.
His first Cleveland home was 21 Prospect street, south-east corner of Sheriff.
He survived his wife 14 years, and at his death was laid beside her in Erie street cemetery.
475
1834
BRAINARD
The children of Nathan and Fanny Bingham Brainard :
Fanny Brainard, b. 1812; died 1835. Silas Brainard, b. 1814; m. Emily C. Mould.
George W. Brainard, b. 1827; m. Maria Louise Hills.
Joseph Mather Brainard, b. 1830; m. Helen Cushman Hills.
Harriet Brainard, b. 1818; died 1838. Mary Brainard, b. 1833; died 1837.
Henry Mather Brainard, b. 1823; m. Laura V. Mould.
Silas Brainard, the oldest son of the family, began his business career in Cleveland with his father, and was chiefly responsible for the great success that crowned their efforts.
A fine store-building was erected on Superior street between West 3rd and 6th streets, the upper part of which was furnished and fitted up as an auditorium. It was called the " Melodian," afterward " Brainard's Music Hall," and was used many years for concerts, popular lectures courses, and sometimes utilized for large social events.
The building of this hall met a long-felt want. The old Academy of Music on Bank street, West 6th, was the only theatre in the city, and there was no public hall adequate to the needs of the community until the Melodian was built. The firm published and sold music extensively, and were agents for several piano manufacturers.
It seems very strange and equally pathetic that the name of so widely known a firm should disappear entirely from Cleveland's business circles.
Mrs. Silas Brainard was one of the finest women of her day and gen- eration. No one having once met her would ever forget it. She had a gracious personality which was both dignified and winning. For long years she was identified with Old Trinity church and she ever maintained a high position in the social circles of the city.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.