USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II > Part 20
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34
556
1836
FOOTE
Grant Fitch lived but three years afterward, dying in 1840. Some years after his death, his widow married George Williams, late partner of her husband.
.
The only child of Grant and Mary Baldwin Fitch was
Mary Grant Fitch, married 1st, Carl G. Bratenahl, of Cleveland; 2nd, Edward G. Day of New York City.
Grant Fitch was a banker and broker, doing business with a relative, under the firm name of Williams & Fitch. His early death was deeply deplored by his family and friends. He was buried in Erie street ceme- tery.
1836
FOOTE
Jonathan Foote with his five sons, Jonathan, Fenner, David, Asabel, and Solomon, and his daughter Lovice removed from Colchester, Conn., to help found the town of Lee, Mass.
The first religious services in that town were held in a barn, and the hay mow served as a singers' gallery. The five sons of Jonathan Foote with their sister constituted the choir, and a poet and wit of the time wrote of it:
"David and Ase sang base, Jonathan and Fenner sang tenor, Vice and Sol beat them all."
Solomon became a physician, and in 1798 married Miss Betsey Cros- set of Pelham, Mass. He died in Rutland, Vt., ten years afterward, leav- ing two young sons and a daughter. But they were left to an intelligent, Christian mother, who brought them safely through the ills incident to childhood, and the temptations that beset youth. The sons worked their way through college, the eldest, Solomon, helping his younger brother Jonathan. The former became a lawyer, a U. S. Senator, and a very wealthy man.
Jonathan Foote chose to follow the family profession, and studied medicine. 1836 found him established in a Cleveland practice. His office was at the corner of Public Square where Marshall's drug store is now situated. He was then about 32 years old, and had been living in Whitby, Ontario, for a few years. He married in 1835 Robina Dow, who was born in Scotland. She died in 1884.
The children of Jonathan and Robina Dow Foote:
William Dow Foote, b. 1836; m. Helen, and Mary Foote, unmarried.
Mary Francis Leggett. Henry S. Foote, m. Harriet E. Clark. Margaret E. Foote, m. Dr. Henry Mary E. Foote, m. B. McQuay. Warren.
557
1836
ERWIN
In the month and the year that Cleveland was incorporated as a city, March, 1836, John Erwin, 28 years of age arrived in town and opened a law office with George A. Benedict at 31 Superior street.
He was the son of Capt. Samuel Erwin, U. S. A., and Rachel Heck- man Erwin, and was born at Painted Post, N. Y. His grandfather was Col. Arthur Erwin of the Revolutionary army.
John Erwin graduated at Union College, Schenectady, then, having chosen the law for an occupation, looked about for the best or most con- venient place in which to secure a legal education.
His choice of Canadagua, N. Y., probably colored his whole life, for it was there he met his future wife, Nancy Pease, who was temporarily re- siding with her uncle Hon. Gideon Granger of Canadagua and attending school.
She was the daughter of Judge Calvin Pease, a prominent citizen of Warren, Ohio, and well-known all over Northern Ohio. Her mother was Laura Grant Risley Pease.
Three months after settling in Cleveland, Mr. Erwin set out for War- ren. There was a typical June wedding, and he returned with his lovely bride and set up housekeeping on Lake street between Ontario and East 3rd. Directly opposite lived Charles Pease, Mrs. Erwin's brother.
In the course of time John Erwin bought a lot on the north side of the Public Square between the residences of Charles M. Giddings and Hon. John W. Allen. The Society for Savings stands on the Giddings site, and the Chamber of Commerce on that of the Allen's.
On the east half of this lot he built himself a home. James F. Clark had previously erected a fine residence on the western half.
Like many other professional men of that day, Mr. Erwin, realizing the future greatness of the city and the consequent increase in value of its real estate, added to his practice of law that of land agency. He assisted in the promotion of the residential district of Kinsman Road, now Woodland Ave., having bought a tract of land of seventy acres front- ing on this street and extending back to Broadway.
To this locality he moved with his large family of children in the year 1850. That part of the property touching Broadway is now occupied by the Standard Oil Company.
Mr. Erwin died in 1888, having outlived his wife Nancy Pease Erwin nearly 20 years.
The children were:
Calvin Pease Erwin, died at 17 years of age.
Cornelia Erwin, m. Dr. William H. Beaumont.
Laura Grant Erwin, m. Charles Pease.
Lillian Heckman Erwin, died un- married, 40 years of age.
Arthur John Erwin.
Florence Heckman Erwin, m. Henry L. Page.
Mary Pease Erwin, m. Cyrus E. Johnston.
Kate Granger Erwin, m. James Mc- Crea.
Leonora de Orco Erwin, m. Capt. Henry H. Wright, U. S. A.
558
1836
GALE
Rodney Gale, born 1811 in Petersham, Mass., narrowly escaped a title of nobility preceding his name. One of his parents, which one is not stated, had been reading the life of Sir John Rodney, and so impressed by that character of history and romance as to wish the little son who came into the household about that time named for that hero. But the choice was not unanimous, and finally the father declared, "We'll split the difference and call him plain 'Rodney.'"
The parents were Daniel and Elisabeth Holland Gale. They had other children who remained east. Their daughters attended a young ladies' seminary and there met Miss Marion Williams, daughter of Thomas and Nancy Hanks Williams, who was also a pupil of the school. A warm friendship between the young girls resulted, and when the brother met Miss Williams he soon felt for her a much stronger feeling than contented his sister.
He came on to Cleveland in search of fortune, but before finding it to any great extent, he returned east and claimed his bride.
Their first home was on Frankfort street. Afterward, Mr. Gale bought on Lake street corner of Bond, East 6th. The lot extended north to the lake. The family occupied this home for 60 years.
Rodney Gale was a man of strong literary tastes, and associated with men who also loved books and the retired corner of a library. He be- longed to the Young Men's Literary Association, and was later a mem- ber of the "Ark," consequently, after the death of Leonard Case its founder, he was a trustee to whom was entrusted its property and tradi- tion.
Rodney and Marion Williams Gale had two children :
Mary Hoyt Gale.
George Rodney Gale, m. Helen Richardson of Boston.
They were educated in the Cleveland Public schools. Mary was a popular teacher for many years, appreciated and valued by friends and pupils.
Mrs. Gale died at the age of 39, and Rodney Gale married secondly, Charlotte Williams, his wife's sister.
The children by this marriage were:
Charles Gale, m. Bertha Deckert of Philadelphia, Pa.
Carrie Gale, m. Oscar Chapin.
1836
CROSS
David W. Cross, a lawyer, but best known as a business man, lived in this city for fifty-five years.
He was identified with the Western Reserve Historical Society, the Kirtland Society of Natural History, and was one of the founders of the Shooting Club that purchased one thousand acres of land near Sandusky
559
HARRINGTON
1836
Bay, and also an original member of the "Ark." He was a silent factor in several charities.
He was connected with the developing of coal land, and was a part- ner with Oliver H. Perry and H. B. Payne in opening up one hundred and fifty acres of coal in Mahoning county.
Mr. Cross is said to have been a man of strong character, pleasing personality, and sterling worth.
Mrs. Cross-Lorain Pool Lee, of East Bloomfield, N. Y .- was a daugh- ter of Major Seth and Sally Lee. She came to Cleveland in 1836 on a visit to Mrs. Thomas Bolton, who was then living on the north side of Euclid Ave. near Muirson, afterward the residence of George Gardner.
While in the city Miss Lee met David W. Cross, who was a student at law with Mr. Bolton. They were married and began housekeeping in a cottage nearly opposite the Boltons, and afterward built and occupied an elegant home on the same site.
Mrs. Cross was a bright, capable woman, and possessed a vigorous mind. In later life her physique changed, and from a slender woman she became stout.
She lived on Euclid Ave. until her death in 1875, some years previous to that of her husband who died in 1891.
The only child of this family was
Henry Cross, who married Stella W. Wood of Peninsula, O.
1836
HARRINGTON
Benjamin and Mrs. Harrington for many years host and hostess of the Franklin House, 25 Superior street, succeeded the Scovils when the latter gave up the house and removed to Kinsman street and private life. The Harringtons were immensely popular with guests and friends. Sto- ries of Mrs. Harrington's kindness to strangers who were ill or out of funds have been handed down as instances of her warm heart and sym- pathetic nature.
They were both Vermonters. Mr. Harrington was born in Shelburn of that state in 1806. He was the son of Capt. Benjamin Harrington who followed the seas for many years and afterward settled down as a mer- chant in Shelburn. Mrs. Harrington was Miss Chloe Prentiss, daughter of Samuel Prentiss of Rutland, Vt.
Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Harrington, Jr., were married in 1832. They went to live in Canada, at first, but within three years had found their way to Cleveland, and here spent the rest of their lives, about 40 years. Mr. Harrington was postmaster of Cleveland from 1858 to 1860. He
560
1836
HITCHCOCK
was a man of kindly impulses, and generous-hearted. For many years he was a vestryman of Old Trinity, and his wife was an active and loyal member of that church society. After leaving the Franklin House, the family lived on the north-west corner of St. Clair and Seneca streets.
Mrs. Harrington's sister, Joanna B. Prentiss, who was many years younger than herself, lived with the Harringtons. They were childless and the sweet-faced, stately maiden was the idol of their hearts. -
Mr. Harrington was one of those early residents who foresaw the won- derful growth of the city and wisely invested in real estate. He built business blocks and realized a moderate fortune. His wife died in 1873, and his own death occurred five years later. He left all he possessed to Joanna Prentiss, his adopted daughter, and she, in turn, passed it on, in 1883, to Mr. Harrington's nephew who for many years kept a livery stable. May Harrington, daughter of this nephew, was the first wife of Dan R. Hanna. She had three sons.
The Harrington family rest in Erie street cemetery.
1836
HITCHCOCK
James Kent Hitchcock, 23 years of age, was one of the young lawyers who started to practice their profession immediately after acquiring it. He was a member of the firm of Randall and Hitchcock, which seemed to do a successful business.
Mr. Hitchcock was a son of Samuel and Mary Adams Hitchcock of Sandy Hill, N. Y., and a direct descendant of Luke Hitchcock, an Ameri- can ancestor of 1644.
His father and mother were living in Warren, O., as early as 1824, and he may have come to Cleveland from that town. In 1841 he married Mary A. Kellogg of Utica, N. Y., and twelve years later their residence was 39 Euclid Ave. Some time previous to 1860, they returned to Utica, N. Y.
The children of James K. and Mary Kellogg Hitchcock :
Mary Hitchcock, m. Edward H. Samuel Miller Hitchcock, m. Caro-
Wardwell of Utica, N. Y. line W. Hawkes in Cambridge,
Margaret Hitchcock, m. Henry Young of Newark, N. J. Mass.
Harriet Hitchcock, m. Edward H. Wardwell.
Mary Adams Hitchcock, a sister of James K., married in 1836 Julius Kelley of Kelley's Island.
561
1836
CARRAN
When young Robert Carran came to Cleveland in 1836 from the Isle of Man, he was accompanied by his two brothers, who went on to Michi- gan, settled near Detroit, and died there years ago.
The father of these pioneer Manxmen was John Carran, and their mother was a member of the Skelton family. After her death John Car- ran came to this country and joined his sons in Michigan, where he spent the remaining years of his life.
Probably, there is no one living today who became residents of Cleve- land in 1836, save Robert Carran himself, now aged 102 years.
The Early Settlers' Association delight in doing him honor, not mere- ly for his great age, but because of the value his life has been to the city through all his long years of goodness, of usefulness and of patriotism.
Furthermore, his presence at the annual meetings of the association is undoubtedly an encouragement to many there who are bending under the burden of fourscore years or more. They look at the familiar form and face of Robert Carran, and say to themselves :
"If I live as long as he, I have 15 or 20 years yet coming to me."
Robert Carran married Elisabeth Kneal, and, as will be seen below, four of the five sons she gave him served their country as soldiers of the civil war. All that kept Louis, the fifth boy, at home during that period of civic storm and stress was his age, too young to be an acceptable re- cruit.
Robert Carran, Jr., was attending Berea College when he received a letter and some pocket money from his oldest brother then at the front. Seized with patriotic fervor very prevalent and exceedingly contagious at the time, he ran away from school and joined the army. Another stu- dent and his particular chum accompanied him.
William Carran, the youngest of the four soldier boys, fell a victim to typhoid while his regiment was stationed in Tennessee.
John, the oldest brother, came back at the close of the conflict, wear- ing a captain's bars, and Thomas those of a first lieutenant.
The mother of these sons died, and Robert Carran, Sr., married 2nd, Miss Ann Quayle of a well known Newburgh family. She also passed away, and today Mr. Carran makes a home with one of his children in Lakewood.
Children of Robert and Elisabeth Kneal Carran:
Capt. John Carran, m. Emma Wil- William Carran, died in Tennessee COX. during civil war.
Lieut. Thomas J. Carran, m. Louise Proudfoot.
Lewis Carran, m. 1st, Mary Ryan; 2nd, Grace Cassidy.
Robert Carran, Jr., m. Eva A. Lee of Virginia.
Children of Robert and Ann Quayle Carran:
Charles Carran, m. Hattie Ritter. Nelson Carran, died unmarried.
Fanny Carran, m. Plina Robinson. Martha Carran, m. Robert Carr.
562
1836
BENNET
John Bennet and his wife Charlotte Powell Bennet of England settled in Cleveland before 1837. The exact date has not been preserved. He was a ship chandler and his business place was on River street. The family lived at first on Water street, corner of Frankfort, and afterward on Summit street.
John Bennet bought the piano that Francis Harding brought to Cleve- land from New York, and known as the first one owned in town. He purchased it for his wife, who was quite musical and for his two young lady daughters. Mrs. Bennet was noted in town for her unusual beauty. The daughters inherited their mother's good looks. Both had beautiful dark eyes, and dark auburn hair.
Mr. and Mrs. Bennet were buried in Erie street cemetery. The former died in 1870. His wife outlived him many years.
The children of John and Charlotte Powell Bennet :
Sarah Bennet, m. William Fletcher.
field.
John Bennet, Jr., m. Amanda Can- Charlotte Bennet, m. Charles Marsh.
The son of John Bennet, Jr., is senior member of the firm of Bennet & Fish. His only sister is Mrs. F. A. Tamblyn of the city. Mrs. Henry Kendrick, daughter of Sarah Bennet Fletcher, resides in Chicago. Flora Marsh, daughter of Mrs. Charlotte Bennet Marsh, married Hilliard Pow- ers. His only daughter is Mrs. Norman King of this city.
1836
BARTLETT
For half a century or more no men were better known in Cleveland and Cuyahoga Co. than the Bartletts, father and son. Both were county auditors or city clerks for long terms of years, and wardens of old Trin- ity Church.
Joseph Bartlett, born in 1795, was the son of Nicholas and Hannah Barker Bartlett. His wife was Lydia Boden Meek, the daughter of Cap- tain Thomas Meek, who was a prisoner of war with Nicholas Bartlett during the Revolutionary war.
In 1837, Joseph Bartlett, then acting as Recorder, was living on Pros- pect street between Erie and Sheriff. He died in 1864.
Mrs. Bartlett outlived him 22 years, dying in 1886, aged 89 years. She lived with her son Nicholas, meanwhile, and was adored by her grandchildren. She took active part in all activities of Trinity church, and was one of its oldest members.
Nicholas Bartlett, son of Joseph B. and Lydia Bartlett, was born in 1822. He married Lucretia A. Brown, daughter of Benjamin Brown of New London, Conn. Her father died aged 28, when she was young, and her mother, Sarah Brown, died in Sandusky, O., in 1852.
Mrs. Nicholas Bartlett was very dignified, tall and slender, well read, and spiritually minded. She left Trinity church when Grace church was organized, and remained an active worker in the later until her death.
563
1836
BACKUS
The family lived on Superior corner of Muirson street, and afterward on Prospect street.
The children of Joseph Bartlett :
Nicholas Bartlett, married Lucretia A. Brown.
Benjamin Bartlett, married Mrs. Louise Mould, widow of Henry Mould.
Lydia Bartlett, married Robert Weaver.
Capt. Joseph Bartlett, married Per-
sia V. Gray. He was an officer in the civil war.
Thomas Bartlett, married Georgia
King. He was president of a crude oid company that piped the first oil.
Mary Bartlett, married Henry Roe- der.
1836
BACKUS
The educational advantages of the town were enhanced valuably this year, by the establishment of a classical school for lads preparing for col- lege. The enthusiastic young master of it was fresh from Yale where he had just graduated at the age of 23 years. He was well fitted for the task, as his own education had been acquired through his own efforts, financially, and he had learned much of practical value outside his col- lege life.
Franklin T. Backus was born in Lee, Massachusetts. His parents were Thomas and Rebecca Couch Backus. The father died leaving his widow and a large family of children with limited means of support. The family had previously moved to Lansing, N. Y. Young Backus worked on a farm, clerked in a store, and did anything else that oppor- tunity offered. Meanwhile he was studying, and fitting himself for col- lege. After entering Yale he spent his vacations in hard work, earning the tuition and other expenses that would enable him to return to New Haven and resume college life.
Upon coming to Cleveland, he entered the office of Bolton and Kelley, and all the time not required by his boys' school was devoted to the study of law. He was a successful teacher who was able to enthuse his pupils with a love of books, and an ambition to become good and useful men. The writer has heard old citizens of years past who attended the prepar- atory school speak of Mr. Backus in eulogistic terms.
He became a prominent lawyer of the city, and during the latter part of his life engaged in various business activities. He was one of the pioneer promoters of the oil trade, and died leaving considerable prop- erty. In 1842, he married Lucy Mygatt, daughter of George Mygatt, who became a resident of Cleveland after 1840. Mr. and Mrs. Backus left no family. A niece resided with them many years. She died recent- ly. In 1892, Mrs. Backus gave $50,000 to the Law School of Western Reserve University, as a memorial to her husband.
The first home of Mr. and Mrs. Franklin T. Backus was for many years at 134 Lake street.
564
1836
HARDING
In September, 1835, Francis Harding of New York City issued a small neat circular calling attention to his upholstery and window cur- tain establishment newly opened at No. 9 Leonard street close to Broad- way. In this advertisement he states that he has had nine years' experi- ence in his line of work in Europe, and for the past three years has been employed by the best known cabinet maker of the city. This business venture must have proved unsuccessful, for the following year he came with his wife and child to Cleveland, and opened a shop and store on Water street. This time he had a partner, William Milford, a prom- inent citizen of the town who had active business interests other than the Water street establishment. This partnership evidently did not con- tinue many years, as the city directory of 1845 does not contain the firm of Milford and Harding.
Francis Harding was born in Brighton, England, and according to his New York circular, he immigrated to this country in 1832. In 1835 he married Sarah Philadelphia Barrett, and their first child was born in New York City. Mr. Harding was an inventor as well as an up- holsterer. In February, 1837, he applied for two patents; one for a machine for curling hair for mattresses; the other for cleaning and re- storing feathers for beds and pillows. His applications contained the names of several leading citizens of the town, George Hoadley, Hiram V. Wilson, and Harvey Rice being among them. It was accompanied by a drawing of the model machine, finely executed by Jarvis Hanks, afterward a succesful portrait painter.
The Harding family lived several years on Water street, West 9th, south-east corner of Frankfort. Mrs. Harding was born in London, England. She was very musical, and brought with her to Cleveland the first piano possessed in the town. Afterward it was sold to John Bennet who had a household of grown daughters. Both Mrs. Harding and Mrs. Bennet were sweet singers, and as they were near neighbors, they often sang together, accompanied by the piano. This beautiful mu- sic attracted much attention, and old citizens recall their wonder and admiration when as boys they hung over the Bennet gate or sat on the fence listening to the tinkle of the only piano in town, or to the vocal mu- sic that it ofen accompanied.
Mr. Harding moved with his family on to a farm at the corner of St. Clair and East Madison, East 79th street. The Rev. Mr. Varian, the once well known Episcopal rector of the Church of the Good Shep- herd, afterward bought this property, which remained in the possession of his daughters many years. The firm of Milford and Harding dis- solved and the latter took another partner, who proved a rascal, and man- aged to ruin Mr. Harding within the course of a few years.
Mr. and Mrs. Harding soon after died, leaving a family of children, the youngest of whom was but six years of age when the father passed away in 1851, and two years later the mother followed him to the Better Land. The only surviving member of the family is Mrs. Mary Harding DeWitt, of East 79th street.
565
1836
HERRICK
The children of Francis and Sarah Harding:
Francis B. Harding, b. 1836; m. Sarah Coy. He died 1895.
Mary F. Harding, b. 1839 ; m. Peter J. DeWitt.
Thomas E. Harding, b. 1841; m.
Mary Scott. He died 1905.
William R. Harding, b. 1843; m. Je- mima More. He died 1908.
George C. Harding, b. 1846; m. Jen- ny Hunnewell; died 1905.
1836
HERRICK
In 1815, Sylvester Pierce Herrick of Vernon, N. Y., married Maria Marcia Smith, daughter of Levi and Mary Olmstead Smith. Mr. Her- rick was a country merchant doing a good business in a store on the public square of Vernon. He died in 1828, leaving two young sons and two daughters. Timothy H. Smead, a printer, married one of the lat- ter and removed in 1836 to the West Side, Ohio City, where he edited and published the Ohio City Argus. The Smeads were joined here by Mrs. Herrick, her daughter Julia, and the two sons.
Mrs. Herrick contributed articles to the Argus, at the same time edit- ing a small monthly, called the Mother's Magazine, a very creditable publication which lasted several years. Mrs. Herrick was an unusual woman for her day. Left a widow, she had raised her little family of children to honorable and useful maturity. She was born in 1798 on the Van Rensselaer Manor in New York, and having an admiration for that historical Knickerbocker family, she named her youngest son for it.
She lived in Cleveland for nearly 60 years, and died at the residence of R. R. Herrick in her 98th year. To the last she kept abreast of the times, reading the daily newspaper without glasses.
The children of Sylvester and Maria Herrick :
John Sylvester Herrick, m. Mary Comstock. He died 1887.
Mary Elisabeth Herrick, m. Timo- thy H. Smead; d. 1829.
Julia Maria Herrick, m. William H. Van Tine; d. 1898.
Rensselaer Russell Herrick, m. Ade- laide Cushman; 2nd, Mrs. Laura White Hunt, of Norwalk, Ohio.
In 1845 the Smeads and Herricks were all living together at 19 On- tario street, John Herrick was then a printer, and Rensselaer R. a car- penter. The Smeads removed to 10 Cedar Ave., where they spent the remainder of their days, and where their daughter Mary still resides.
Mr. Smead is said to have been "a splendid craftsman, a man of much
566
1836
BRADBURN
ability, and one of the best printers in the city." He was associated with the late Edwin Cowles as "Smead and Cowles."
Rensselaer Russell Herrick became a very successful business man and accumulated much property. He entered politics, and was mayor of the city from 1879 to 1883. After his marriage he settled on Prospect street, owning the entire block on the south side of it between Huntington and Cheshire. Upon this stood his residence, a handsome brick block of homes, and a frame terrace of four cottages. An illustration of the above can be found on page 67 of Orth's History of Cleveland.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.