The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II, Part 14

Author: Wickham, Gertrude Van Rensselaer, b. 1844; Cleveland Centennial Commission. Woman's Dept. Executive Committee
Publication date: 1914
Publisher: [Cleveland] Evangelical publishing house
Number of Pages: 344


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II > Part 14


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34


He died leaving three very young children.


Maria Hussey, m. Mr. Mount and lived in Cincinnati.


Alexander Hussey, m. Miss Silver- thorne.


1834


BEEBE


Huron Beebe of the pioneer firm of Allen, Beebe & Co., was born in 1808, and died in Vermont at an advanced age.


He came to Cleveland in the '30s, and was sheriff for a term or two, and lived in the jail residence.


He married Nancy Henderson, and they had a family of children born in Cleveland, all of whom left the city, in time, and settled in Racine, Wis., where they became prominent citizens of that western town. They were :


Charles Seth Beebe, born 1848, in Caldwell C. Beebe.


Cleveland; married Selina East- Eleanor Beebe.


man of Holly, N. Y. Lucy Beebe.


Henry Beebe.


1834


DEFOREST


A perusal of New York City annals from the year 1634 to the end of the next century would convince one that whatever the name of DeForest stands for today locally, it was one to conjure by in the early settlement of New York. A few years after his arrival in this country Isaac DeForest married Sarah, daughter of Philip DeTrieux. Both were de- scended from Huguenots who had fled from France in times of religious persecution and sought refuge in Holland. Sarah's sister Susannah


496


1834


ANDREWS


DeTrieux married Evart Wendall, the American ancestor of that well- known New York family, and in time the DeForests were closely related to nearly all the prominent Dutch families of New York.


Two hundred years after Isaac DeForest landed in New York City, his descendant, Cyrus R. DeForest, became a pioneer of Cleveland, O. There was not much difference in the relative size of the two towns, nor in the size of their pocketbooks, spite of the great prosperity and social circumstance that had intervened.


Cyrus was neither a lawyer, doctor, or merchant, just plain mechanic. But he was more valuable, because more useful, to the community in which he had come to live. The professional and mercantile men were so numerous in that day that in order to make half a living they were treading upon each other's heels. On the other hand, a man with a useful trade could command good wages.


Cyrus R. DeForest was born in Edmeston, N. Y., and at the age of 21, married Julia Ann Sutherland in Black Rock, now an outlying ward of Buffalo, N. Y., and the following year the young couple boarded a lake-steamer for this town. They lived for many years on York street, now an extension of Hamilton. The house stood close to Wood street. It was then in a pretty, quiet neighborhood, an ideal spot in which to raise the family of seven children that, in course of time, filled the home with young, exuberant life. Their eldest son, and namesake of the father, was born in this city, and died here in 1906. He was long connected with the Society for Savings. The family have neglected to furnish data; so that details concerning the other children have not been secured.


Children of Cyrus R. and Julia Sutherland DeForest :


Cyrus DeForest, b. 1835; d. 1906.


Louis Germain DeForest, a soldier of the Civil War.


Julia Ann DeForest, m. Rev. Dr. Ed- ward Ingersoll; d. 1865.


Charles Lee, Maria Louise, Albert Wright, and Mary Frances De- Forest were other children of Cy- rus DeForest, Sr.


1834 ANDREWS


Benjamin Andrews was one of the few Cleveland pioneers who came from southern states. He was a Kentucky man, the son of a Presbyterian minister and the editor of a thriving church paper. His mother was a Calhoun, member of the noted Southern family of that name.


Benjamin was one of a large family of sons who were raised in a refined, literary and religious atmosphere. His brother, L. F. W. An- drews, was editor of the Muscagee Democrat, Macon, Georgia, and previ- ous to the civil war, owned a large plantation in that locality and lived upon it in luxury. The relatives of the second generation lost all track of his family years ago.


497


1834


ATWATER


Benjamin Andrews came to Cleveland some time in the early '30s, and was associate editor of a local newspaper. During President Tyler's administration he was appointed postmaster of this city.


He married at the residence of Hon. John W. Willey, Lydia Willey Adams, niece of the mayor, who had accompanied her uncle to Cleveland on his return journey from a visit to his native home, Goshen, N. H. She was the daughter of his sister, Mrs. James Adams.


There are no relatives nor descendants of hers remaining in Cleve- land to sing her praises. But an old church friend and neighbor, Judge James Cleveland, whose estimate of character was a valuable asset, re- marked to the writer:


"No record of early Cleveland women would be complete without men- tion of Mrs. Benjamin Andrews. She was a beautiful woman, one fitted to adorn any society, and her soul was as lovely as her face."


Mr. Andrews, though intellectually the peer of any of his associates, was far from being a successful man. He possessed the easy Southern temperament that lacked the courage and energy to overcome and gov- ern circumstance. Therefore, Fate denied to Mrs. Andrews the freedom from care and anxiety that was hers by right.


The family lived on Middle street, then a residence district, and after- ward in a pretty cottage on Erie, East 9th, street, facing Superior street. Their home was next to that of T. P. May.


Like her uncle, Rev. Elijah Willey, Mrs. Andrews was passionately fond of flowers and cultivated them assiduously. A well-known citizen of Canadaigua, N. Y., while on a visit to this locality, declared that he had not seen such a wealth of floral display since leaving his own city.


After the death of John W. Willey, his widow persuaded Mrs. An- drews to take up her residence in the Willey cottage, where she lived until Mrs. Willey's second marriage.


The long and distressing illness of her mother called Mrs. Andrews to Leamster, N. H., where she remained until her own death. It is said that she took charge of her mother's farm there with much more success than usually attends the efforts of her sex in that direction.


Benjamin and Lydia Andrews had two little daughters. One of them died in infancy. The other, named in honor of her aunt Laura Willey, married and returned west. She was born in 1836, and as Mrs. Laura Goodwin now resides in Berea, Ohio, a charming representative of the Willey family.


1834


ATWATER


George M. Atwater who in 1841 married Minerva Merwin, daughter of Noble H. and Minerva Buckingham Merwin, was the son of Charles and Mary Merwin Atwater of New York. Mrs. Minerva Atwater lived but two years following her marriage. She left a little son, Merwin Atwater, b. 1842, who died at 8 years of age.


498


1834


CAMP


The Atwater building at the foot of Superior street, a part of the Merwin family real-estate, received its name through the Atwater con- nection .*


The Atwater building was recently destroyed by fire.


George M. Atwater married 2nd, Harriet Brodhead, dau. of Jacob and Eliza Bleeker Brodhead of Brooklyn, N. Y. By this marriage he had two daughters, Harriet and Mabel, who became Mrs. George W. Green and Mrs. Albert Weaver of New York City.


Dr. David Atwater, brother of George M. Atwater, also lived in Cleve- land in the '40s. He was a fine man and a most desirable citizen in the few years of his residence here.


He was an elder of the Old Stone Church, and during the cholera sea- son of 1849 was a health physician of the city.


1834


CAMP


Seth and Sophia Brainard Camp, of Durham, lived for many years in Whitestown, N. Y. Three of their family of children came to Cleve- land some time in the '30s, but the exact year is unknown.


They were Willard, Hezekiah, and David Camp.


Willard Camp, b. 1797, m. in 1822, Eliza Higgins, twenty-one years of age. They had nine children, six of whom were twins. Several of their children died young. No record of the family in Cleveland can be found save that they lived here in early years.


The children of Willard and Eliza Camp:


Martha and Mary Camp, twins, b. Franklin and Frances Camp, twins, 1822. b. 1828.


Elisabeth Camp, b. 1824. Theodore Camp, b. 1830.


William and Willard Camp, twins, Eliza Camp, b. 1833. b. 1826.


Hezekiah Camp, brother of Willard Camp, married Abigail Fosdick. They had a child born in Cleveland in 1838. No other record.


David Camp, b. 1802, brother of Willard and Hezekiah Camp, mar- ried Rhoda Allen in 1825. She was born in 1807, and died in 1839, the mother of seven children.


David Camp married 2nd, Emily Knapp and had three more children, who died in infancy. He is said to have been a builder and contractor and among other structures erected by him was a row of white cottages, three in number, on Superior street west and adjoining Trinity Church. They had high basements and wide front porches. Though only one story


499


1834


HEARD


high they contained six large rooms besides the basement, dining-room and kitchen, and were considered so attractive that they were duplicated on St. Clair street near Bank street, and a similar row was erected on Water street near the foot of St. Clair. All were familiar landmarks of the city.


David Camp resided in one of his Superior street houses. He died in 1854, and with other members of his family is buried in Erie st. cemetery. His eldest son was an officer in the civil war, and evidently lost his life in it.


The children of David and Rhoda Allen Camp:


Sarah Henderson Camp, b. 1826; d. d. 1862 in Cleveland.


1849 in Cleveland. Jane E. Camp, b. 1832.


Lieut, Henry Seth Camp, b. 1828; Rhoda Ann Camp, b. 1836. 1


Children of David and Emily Knapp Camp:


David Wilkenson and William Dennison Camp, died young.


Mrs. Emily Knapp Camp died in 1861.


1834


HEARD


A carpenter, Charles W. Heard, lived in 1836 on Euclid ave. the sec- ond door from Sheriff street, and adjoining the Rummage lot. He had a large family of children, and at the death of his wife, he took them to live on a farm in Painesville, where, it is told, he had resided previous to his life in Cleveland.


While several old residents readily recalled this family, and could name the children belonging to it, no one seemed able to furnish the ad- dress of any member of it from whom additional data could be secured.


Mr. Heard was an architect as well as a builder. He designed many public buildings erected in the '60s. One of these was the large block corner of Superior and E. 3rd, occupied for many years by the city as its city hall.


Walter Blythe, an architect, and Mr. Heard's son-in-law, was his part- ner in business for a time.


The children of Charles W. Heard:


Regina Heard. Imogene Heard. Wallace Heard. Allen Heard.


Lenora Heard.


Virginia Heard.


Dallace Heard.


500


1834


FARLEY


A family that gave to the city of Cleveland one of its safest and sanest mayors, a mayor whose nickname was "Honest John," should fill gener- ous space in this historical work. "Honest John" himself could explain why it does not, why only a few lines must suffice. A negative silence to all importunities for data, leaves the writer with but scanty material for a sketch of Patrick Farley, the pioneer, who came here in 1834 from the north of Ireland. Five years later, he married Miss Anna Schwartz, who arrived in the city from Bavaria in 1833 .*


* The wedding ceremony was performed by the Rev. Stephen Bodden, a French priest, who was an Indian missionary.


The young couple began housekeeping at 24 Bank street, and in 1856 were living on a court dignified by the family name. In this year, also, Mr. Farley was in charge of the U. S. mail, seeing that it was safely deliv- ered from depots and stage-coaches to the post-office, then on the south-west corner of Water and St. Clair streets. Joseph W. Gray was the post- master.


Patrick Farley was an industrious, frugal man, living within his in- come, a combination which secured for his old age a comfortable com- petence. In this he was seconded by his good wife. Both lived long in years, and passed away from life respected and beloved.


Mr. Farley was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a knight templar. With no one either to affirm or to gainsay it, the writer con- jectures that he was also a staunch Democrat who wielded the balance of power in his home ward. He may have had brothers also living in the city, as the directory of 1845 contains two John Farleys, one a grocer, the other a painter, also N. Farley; and his own family may have con- tained several children. The only one on record is John H. Farley, mayor of the city in 1883 and 1884, again in 1899 and 1900. Meantime, he served as director of public works with Robert Blee. John H. Farley is living retired from business and politics. He maintains an ideal sum- mer home in Georgian Bay, where he can indulge fully in his love of nature, and of animals.


Mrs. Farley was Miss Margaret Kenney, dau. of William Kenney of this city.


1834


HUTCHINGS


Benjamin R. Hutchings was a leading tailor and draper of Cleveland, doing business at No. 35 Superior street. He came to the city before 1835, but the exact date is unknown. His wife's maiden name was Susan Swift, who was born in Vermont, but accompanied her parents to Pots- dam, N. Y., while yet in her teens. She came to visit relatives in Cleve- land and concluded to remain here.


She was an exceptionally fine seamstress, and through this accom- plishment became acquainted with Mr. Hutchings, whom she assisted


501


1834


CRAWFORD


occasionally in his work. They were married about 1835, and began their life together, each aged 24 years, in a story-and-a-half cottage on St. Clair street near Bank, West 6th, street. For many years, this cottage was the first residence east of the Kennard House.


Afterward, Mr. Hutchings built a large brick house on the south side of Prospect street below Erie, and some years later the well-remem- bered public school building was erected on the lot west of it. Friends expostulated with Mr. Hutchings for building so fine a dwelling so far from the Public Square. It was considered as out of town.


Later, he exchanged it for a farm, and built a home on Rockwell street, corner of Bond, where now stands the Rockwell public school. Mrs. Hutchings was a very intelligent, wide-awake woman, and a mem- ber of the First Methodist church, to which society and its membership she was greatly attached. She died in 1895, outliving her husband 40 years. They were buried in Erie street cemetery, and the family lot is marked by a monument.


The Hutchings children :


Susan Hutchings, who died at 30 years of age.


Frances Hutchings, m. David Haw- ley, son of a pioneer.


Berthena Hutchings, m. Daniel Gardner; 2nd, L. J. Howland. Samuel Hutchings, m. Mary Rich- ardson. Kate Hutchings, m. Aaron Orwig.


1834


CRAWFORD


Willard Crawford was a millwright, and lived, in 1837, on Orange Alley-Johnson street. His wife was a Miss Sarah Hosmer of New- burgh. Her parents lived on a farm, now the site of the Ohio State Hospital.


She was extremely neat and frugal, devoting all her time and atten- tion to household affairs, traits which she transmitted to her daughter Helen in a marked degree.


Children of Willard and Sarah H. Crawford:


Randall Crawford, m. Mary Welch, commander of the famous Shields


daughter of John Welch of East Battery through the civil war. A fine man.


Cleveland.


Helen Crawford, m. Joseph Shields, Mary Crawford, m. John Surbury.


Mrs. Randall Crawford, the only surviving member of the above gen- eration, for many years was a prominent worker in the First Methodist church, but later became an ardent disciple of the Christian Science move- ment. Her son W. J. Crawford is a well-known citizen .*


* Mrs. Crawford and her son have both died since above was written.


502


1834


MOTT


Edmond and Lucinda Caswell Mott came from Vermont, in this year, and settled in East Cleveland.


Their children were:


Rhoda Mott, m. Daniel Dewitt. Sarah Mott, m. Alva Jones.


Lucy Mott, m. Truman Buck; re- moved to Minnesota.


Mary J. Mott, m. Roderick White. Caroline Mott, m. Stebbins Ely; re- moved to Iowa.


1834


PEASE


In 1835 there was living on Lake street between Seneca and Ontario a young couple not long married. The youthful head of the house, Charles Pease, late of Warren, O., was a book-keeper for Robert McNeil, dry-goods merchant on Superior street, who, evidently, went out of busi- ness in the panic of 1837.


Directly across from the Pease home lived Mrs. John Erwin, a sister of Charles Pease. They were the children of Judge Calvin and Laura Risley Pease of Warren, O.


The name of Charles Pease does not appear in Cleveland's second directory, that of 1845. He had returned to Warren to aid in the pro- motion of a local railroad that failed of success, but through this experi- ence he gained an insight into the railroad business that made his services valuable in that line, and he became secretary of the Mahoning Valley R. R., which brought him and his family back to the city where he con- tinued to live until his death in 1895, aged 84 years.


As a son-in-law of Prof. Kirtland, the noted naturalist, he could not but become interested in natural history, even if he had not from youth been an ardent and intelligent lover of the fields and the woods. He pur- chased a homestead in Lakewood where, surrounded by forest-trees and birds, shrubs and flowers, his family lived an ideal life. The home bore the suggestive name of "Whip-poor-will."


Mr. and Mrs. Pease were very tender-hearted toward anything capa- ble of suffering, and had little sympathy with the hunting mania pos- sessed by so many men.


Especially were they incensed at the useless slaughter practiced by the type of sportsman who kills harmless animals and water-fowl merely to brag of prowess, and without making any use of his victims.


It goes without saying that none of the feminine members of the Pease or Kirtland families wore aigrettes on their hats or in their hair.


Charles Pease never added to his own income through the misfortunes of others. His integrity was proverbial, and his generosity most un- selfish.


Mary Elisabeth Kirtland, wife of Charles Pease and daughter of Prof. Jared P. and Caroline Atwater Kirtland, was born in Waterford, Conn.,


503


1835


PENNIMAN


in 1816. She died in Washington, D. C., at the home of ex-Senator Con- ger, in 1891. She was a faithful, congenial companion of her husband for nearly 60 years.


The children of Charles and Mary Pease:


Jared K. Pease, died in Cleveland in 1836. iam L. Cutter of Cleveland.


Charles Pease, b. 1835; m. Hester M. Hotchkiss, dau. of Orvis Hotch- kiss of Rockport, O.


Caroline A. Pease, b. 1838; m. Will-


Frederick K. Pease, b. 1843; died 11 years of age.


PENNIMAN


Elijah St. John Bemis, owning a printing and book-publishing plant on the south side of Superior street, had a partner in the business as early as 1835, by the name of Francis B. Penniman. He may have come to Cleveland from Utica, N. Y., before 1835.


In May of that year appeared the following marriage notice :


"In Utica, N. Y., Francis B. Penniman, one of the publishers of the Cleveland Whig, to Mrs. Jane W. Broadwell of Utica."


The Pennimans resided at 160 St. Clair street. They are not in the directory of 1845, and meantime may have returned to Utica.


1835 POPULATION, 5080


VILLAGE OFFICERS


President, John W. Allen. Treasurer, Nicholas Dockstader. Postmaster, Daniel Worley. Marshal, Elijah Peet.


Recorder, Edward Baldwin.


In this year began a western land boom. There was a great rush from the New England and Middle states of agents and land promoters. North- ern Ohio and eastern Michigan were the storm centers of this great move- ment. Thousands of families came west by way of the lower lakes and the Erie canal, or by the south-western route through Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh and from thence to Cleveland.


A line of steamers was established between Buffalo and Detroit. These boats were crowded with passengers at a fare of eight dollars each. Even small steamers were made to carry from 500 to 600 people.


Long lines of big wagons and ox-teams came in from the south and were encamped on Superior, Water, and Bank streets, so that it became almost impossible for residents on those thoroughfares to cross from one side to the other.


504


1835


LOCAL ITEMS


Hotel and tavern accommodations were inadequate for this constantly increasing emigration, and private families were forced to open their doors to the homeless women and children who otherwise would have lacked shelter.


Mrs. Weddell, Mrs. Moses White, and other women living on Superior street, complained of being annoyed by day and robbed of needed rest at night by the continuous stamping of horses in front of their dwellings, and what was more distressing the cries of young children camping out in the wagons that filled the street from the Public Square to the river.


We may rest assured, however, that these good women whom this his- tory, we trust, will make household names, did everything within their power to ameliorate the condition of the luckless people stranded at their doors.


Married. "Smith B. Clampitt to Miss Joanna Darrow, all of this village." (Herald.) Smith B. Clampitt, at this time was a carpenter. He became a contractor, and very well known as a citizen. The family lived on Bolivar street, and later on Columbus road. The first wife of Samuel Clampitt died in 1834.


"Married. In this village, Oct. 24, by the Rev. S. C. Aiken, Mr. Kel- logg G. Sloane to Miss Mary Ann Tomlinson, both of Cleveland." (Her- ald.) Mr. Sloane was a coach-trimmer and harness-maker, No. 64 Supe- rior street. The family lived on St. Clair street.


Died. "Wm. F. Ludlow, son of Robert and Lydia Ludlow of St. John, N. B., aged 34 years." (Erie st. cemetery.)


Frances C. Fuller opens a young ladies' school on the Public Square (between Marshall's drug store and the court house).


"Married. In Buffalo, Darius King of Cleveland, to Miss Julia Burr of Buffalo, N. Y." (Herald.)


Joel Scranton appointed administrator on estate of Stephen S. Lyon, part of lot, 207 Michigan street, belonging to same.


Porter Bliss of Sodus Point, N. Y., was drowned in 1835 while living in Cleveland. He was 34 years old. His wife and child returned to Sodus.


Married. Hamilton Hough and Mary Peet. (Herald.)


Marshall Carson, well-known painter of the town, was married, this year, by Rev. Elijah Willey, to Miss Jane Eliza Cook. They took up their residence at 37 Bank street near Lake street. Mr. Carson added to his paint business that of wall-paper, and was a successful merchant for many years. His son succeeded him. Mrs. Carson may have been a sister of Samuel Cook, an early merchant whose marriage this year is noted as follows : "In Buffalo on the 16th ult. Mr. Samuel Cook, merchant of Cleve- land, to Miss Angeline Carson, of Buffalo."


505


1835


LOCAL ITEMS


"Married. Charles G. Collins, merchant, to Miss Rosina P. Jennings, all of Cleveland, Nov., 1835." (Herald.)


Married. "In this village on Tuesday evening last, Mr. Hiram V. Wilson, counsellor at law, of the firm of Payne and Wilson, to Martha Ten Eick, daughter of Col. Richard Smith of Grosse Isle, Mich., Dec. 24, 1835." (Herald.)


Married. "In this village, by Rev. Willey, Robert McBay, to Miss Sarah, eldest daughter of Luther Hunt, Esq." (He was a carpenter liv- ing at 158 St. Clair street, and on Bank street in 1845.)


Died. Catherine, wife of Joseph Rees, 27 years old. (Erie st. ceme- tery.)


The streets of the town in the early part of this year were generally torn up. They were being graded. Houses and stores on the lower part of Superior street were standing on stilts high in the air.


"July 4th, 1835, was celebrated in great style. People came from all the surrounding country. Mr. Hurd delivered an oration in the Public Square, and at 3 o'clock in the afternoon the steamboat Commodore Perry took a party of gentlemen and ladies for a ride on the lake. (Aaron Clark's private journal.)


"The Baptist Congregation, having hitherto held services in the Acad- emy, will do so in Court House, until its church is finished." (Herald.)


J. M. Martin has a large advertisement in local newspapers. His dry- goods and millinery store is opposite the "Bank."


Harvey Rice, administrator of the estate of John Hayward, Andrew Hull and Ebulous B. Johnson. (Herald.)


1835


From the Cleveland Advertiser


THURSDAY, JULY 30


FIRE! FIRE!


"A little before 12 o'clock last night, our citizens were aroused by the cry of 'Fire!' which proved in ravages, the most destructive that ever occurred in this or any other town in the western country of any im- portance.


506


1835 1


FIRE! FIRE!


The whole range of buildings from the book-store of James Kellogg, to the Mansion House, is laid in ruins.


The fire was first discovered in the rear of the extensive block of brick buildings on Superior street owned by James Kellogg, and occupied by himself as a book-store and dwelling, also by


Stickland & Gaylord, druggist and wholesale grocers. George W. Benjamin, - boarding- house.


The Bank of Cleveland.


C. L. Camp, hardware and dry-goods store. Loss, $7000.


After destroying this valuable block the flames proceeded westward, leveling in their course:


Mr. Newel Bond's stock manufac- tury.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.