The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II, Part 2

Author: Wickham, Gertrude Van Rensselaer, b. 1844; Cleveland Centennial Commission. Woman's Dept. Executive Committee
Publication date: 1914
Publisher: [Cleveland] Evangelical publishing house
Number of Pages: 344


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II > Part 2


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34


When the Miller Block was erected on Superior between Seneca and Bank streets, now West 3rd and 6th, Mr. Carlton moved his store into it and had an office above where he conducted an immense insurance business. He had begun this in a small way soon after coming to Cleve- land, and it grew so rapidly that in the early '50s it demanded all his attention and the store was sold. His last partner in the latter was Charles Moulton, brother-in-law of General and Senator Sherman. Mr. Carlton's son-in-law, James Lee, became connected with him in the in- surance business, and thenceforth it was "Carlton & Lee."


In 1834 Mr. Carlton married Jane Louise Stow, daughter of Samuel Stow and his second wife, Lucinda Hart Stow. Samuel Stow was a revo- lutionary soldier, who, at the close of the war, removed to Eaton, Madi- son Co., N. Y. Miss Stow was left an orphan at an early age and made


378


1831


CARLTON


her home with her eldest sister, Mrs. John Daly, who removed to Cleve- land. She was tall and slender, and, at the time of her marriage was twenty-two years old and her husband of the same age. Their home in nearly all the years that followed was at 39 Eagle street.


Previous to 1835, Erie st. cemetery was part of a forest spreading westward to the bank overlooking the river valley. Standing on the site of the old market-house one could see nothing but trees in any direc- tion and the only building in sight was the Walworth farm-house, about where the Friendly Inn now stands. About 1836 a street was cut through these woods from Erie street, now East 9th, nearly opposite the ceme- tery to Ontario, and named Eagle street. Evidently Mr. Carlton had a hand in this allotment, for he was the first person to build upon the street and his home the only one on it for several years. It was all a part of the Walworth farm. At first Mrs. Carlton had no near neighbors, but within the following year or two Benjamin Strickland, who was married to one of the daughters of John Walworth the pioneer, built a home over- looking the gorge at the junction of Ontario and Broadway. And, in time, there grew to be quite a settlement, beginning at the present Old Market House and continuing out Woodland Ave. and Broadway, then called "Kinsman" and "Pittsburgh" streets, because the mail and the stage-coaches bound for those towns turned into one or the other of them.


The neighborhood that grew up in Woodland avenue near Eagle street was composed of the best social element of the town. Each year more and more residences were built until at last the beautiful tree-bordered thor- oughfare was lined with attractive homes surrounded with lawns and flowering shrubs. It was an event when they reached as far as the spa- cious home of Dr. Long, once considered "'way out in the country." But building activities continued eastward until at length Willson Ave. -55th st .- was reached.


Said an elderly lady recently, "I drove out Woodland Ave. the other day and it gave me a heartache. Whoever would have believed, even after I was a woman grown, that that beautiful avenue could be what it is today? And my childhood home! well, it actually made me feel ill to see the wretchedly forlorn place now tenanted by three families and a Chinese laundry !"


For a block or two east of Ontario street, Broadway was also settled by representative Cleveland families, but it never became a popular res- ident street. Mrs. Carlton had but two children, and, when one was eighteen years old and the other sixteen years, she lost them out of her daily life for several years, her daughter having married and gone di- rectly to Omaha, Nebraska, and her son as a cadet to West Point. The former returned to Cleveland to live, but the latter thenceforth belonged to his country.


The mother was an invalid for some years previous to her death.


The children of Christopher C. and Jane Stow Carlton :


Rhoda Carlton, b. 1834; m. James Wright Lee, son of Hart Gray and Margaret Evertson Lee, of Itha- ca, N. Y.


Brig. General Caleb H. Carlton, b. 1836; m. Sadie Pollock, of Har- risburg, Pa.


379


1831


HARBAUGH


Mrs. Lee has resided in this city all her life save the four years she spent in Omaha. It has been a life of varied experience and of sudden bereavements. Her first three children, two, five, and seven years of age, died of scarlet fever within a few hours of each other; Carlton Lee, a son twenty-four years old, fresh from his college and foreign travel, met with instant death, and later Mr. Lee lost his life through an auto- mobile accident. Two sons of this family are yet living, James and Henry Lee. The only daughter, Georgana Lee, married Otis Southworth, son of William P. Southworth.


Brigadier-General Caleb H. Carlton, at the request of the writer, fur- nished the family data and newspaper clippings from which this sketch was made possible; but they contained not a word nor even a hint con- cerning himself. Through inquiry, however, it has been learned that this only son of C. C. Carlton was but sixteen years of age when he entered West Point and one of the youngest in his class. Some of the most famous generals of the civil war were then identified with the school, either as instructors or pupils. Gen. Joe Wheeler was a class- mate, Sheridan a senior, while U. S. Grant and Robert E. Lee were famil- iar figures on the parade-ground.


When the war broke out young Carlton was a member of the 4th U. S. Infantry, then stationed in California, but ordered back east in the first months of the conflict. He was later transferred to the Cavalry di- vision of the regular army and served throughout the civil war. He is said to be a fine-looking man, every inch a soldier, and extremely mod- est regarding his long and valuable service to his country.


In his retirement he spends his days either at Washington, D. C., Old Point Comfort, or at Rye, N. Y.


1831


HARBAUGH


The Harbaughs originally came from Philadelphia, where Isaac Har- baugh married his step-sister Elisabeth Woodring. A few years later they removed to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, where their first children were born. Then, in the early '30s, they removed to Cleveland, and resided on Ontario street near the lake.


They had a large family, all of whom married here. Most of them lived and died in or near the city.


Children of Isaac and Elisabeth Harbaugh :


Lydia Harbaugh, m. William Lewis. Mahala Harbaugh, m. Benton Ba- ker.


They removed to Michigan.


Mary Harbaugh, m. Nehemiah Dennis Harbaugh, m. Mary Ann Knapp, a Cleveland pioneer.


380


1832


THE FIRST YEAR OF THE CHOLERA


Catherine Harbaugh, m. John Troop. Amos Harbaugh, m. Lucy Hurlbut of the West side.


Frank Harbaugh, m. Kate Gillette.


Harriet Harbaugh, m. Harvey Rum- mage, an early settler.


Amzi Harbaugh, went to Rockford,


Ill., to live with his sister Lydia.


Mr. Harbaugh, Senior, was a builder and constructor.


The family lot is in Erie street cemetery.


1832


THE FIRST YEAR OF THE CHOLERA


June 10, the steamer Henry Clay bound for Buffalo having many U. S. soldiers on board who were ill with cholera, landed on the west bank of the river.


The Cleveland Board of Health provided comfortable barracks not far from the steamer, and medical aid was furnished to the sufferers. Several of them died, and were buried on the west side of the river.


The bodies of the soldiers who died on board the steamer before reach- ing Cleveland were thrown overboard, and probably were washed on shore, and thus helped to spread the disease. Sandusky, Ohio, suffered greatly from the plague.


John W. Allen was president of the village council that year. He was energetic and fearless in his efforts to protect the town from the peril that menaced it, and in caring for the helpless victims of the disease. The citizens who composed the board of health were:


Dr. Edwin Cowles. Dr. Orson St. John. Dr. John Long. Dr. Joshua Mills.


Charles Dennison. Silas Belden. Daniel Worley. Dr. S. J. Weldon.


These men proved most heroic in their ministrations to the sick and dying when the terrible disease broke out in town. Every one who could, fled to adjoining villages, and to lonely farm-houses. In many cases car- rying the germs of the plague with them. It raged for about a month. Perhaps 25% of those attacked recovered. About 50 people died. Months afterward, in October of the same year, the cholera broke out again, and within three days, 14 more were added to its victims.


Died. "Of cholera, John Tomlinson Ells, aged 24." (Erie st. ceme- tery) ; stone very black.


"Died, Mary wife of Andrew Cooper, aged 22 years." Andrew was a gardener living at 61 Rockwell st. in 1845. In 1834 he erected a store on Superior street. The first tenant was James Sloan.


Another Andrew Cooper lived in East Cleveland.


381


1832


BAUDER


The Bauder family of Cleveland is distinguished for its military and patriotic record extending over 125 years. From the days when Melgert Bauder and his brother Peter served in the Tyron Co. regiment, Col. Jacob Klock's battalion, and fought in the battle of Oriskany under Gen. Herkimer in the Revolutionary war, to the day when the late Capt. Walter S. Bauder died from disease contracted in the Spanish-American war, the Bauders have responded to the call of their country. Two brothers of Melgert and Peter were captured by Indians and carried to Canada. They lived to escape, but their sister sharing a like captivity was never restored to her family.


Lodwick Bauder, son of Melgert and father of the three brothers, who became Cleveland pioneers, was a soldier of the war of 1812.


Charles L. and Levi Bauder were the first to come to Cleveland and were followed a few years later by their brother Michael. Subsequently they were joined by their widowed mother Catherine Klock Bauder. The home of the family had been in St. Johnsville, N. Y. Charles and Levi were cabinet-makers and started a factory together at first, but after- ward separated their business. Levi's establishment was on the south side of the Public Square, adjacent to the old "Blue Jug" crockery store and opposite the Court House, then on the south-west corner of the Square. He prospered, and probably would have become one of Cleve- land's most substantial business men had not fire twice destroyed his plant, and in the panic of 1857 wiped out the savings of a lifetime.


About 1837, he married Miss Eliza Philips, daughter of the Rev. Will- iam and Elizabeth Prior Philips. For many years they were members of the Old Stone Church.


The children of Levi and Eliza Philips Bauder :


Levi F. Bauder, b. 1840. A veteran of the civil war. Was 1st Sergt. of Co. B in the famous Seventh Reg. O. V. I. He was county auditor from 1877 to 1883, and a justice of the peace 15 years. A valuable man to his country and to his community.


Andrew J. Bauder, b. 1842. Also a


civil war veteran, in 103rd O. V. I. He died unmarried in 1880.


Silas E. Bauder, b. 1850. A patent attorney, and an inventor. Was county clerk of Erie county six years. Martha Bauder, m. W. H. Kennedy. Lived in Euclid village.


Michael Bauder, brother of Charles and Levi, was also a wood-cutter and like Charles was an inventor.


After the advent of railroads, Michael was employed in the Lake Shore R. R. shops in finishing the interior of passenger-cars. He died in 1882. His wife was Mary Ann Bell.


Children of Michael and Mary Bauder:


Henry Bauder. He went on a whal- Eliza Bauder, m. Silas Langdon. ing voyage and was never heard from afterward. Her widowed daughter Mrs. Brower lives in Lakewood.


382


1832


BRAYTON


Seymour Bauder. A Lieut. in 54th


O. V. I. in the civil war, he was wounded five times in the battle of Shiloh.


Mary Bauder, m. - Gould. Her


Joseph Bauder. He was an engi-


neer of the 20th Century limited. Died in 1909, and all business was suspended in Collinwood during the funeral.


Hattie Bauder, m. - Gill. Mrs. husband was R. R. engineer.


Gill is the only living member of this family.


Catherine Klock Bauder, mother of the three Bauder brothers who were Cleveland pioneers, was born 1773, and died 1853.


Her husband Lodwick, and brother-in-law Rev. Peter Bauder, were soldiers of the war of 1812. Peter was grandfather of Edson B. Bau- der, attorney now resident of Cleveland. Mrs. Bauder was born in Tyron Co., now Montgomery Co., N. Y. Her father Joseph Klock was a farmer and a soldier of the revolutionary war. When absent from home with his regiment, an Indian came to the farm-house very ill with a fever. Mrs. Klock took care of him and nursed him back to health. Whereupon he left, stalking out of the house without a word of thanks; but some time afterward, with his face and hands daubed with war- paint and tomahawk in his hands, he burst in upon the terrified woman and seizing her by the arm said, "Come quick !"


The frightened family followed him a long distance and to the top of a hill, where he paused and bade them look back. Their farm-buildings were all on fire, and the Indians and Tories killing the livestock. He then pointed in an opposite direction, saying, "There's the fort"-Fort Plain-"Go!"


While Fort Plain was a refuge for the settlers it was infested by the Indians and Tories, and Catherine often told her Cleveland grandchildren the sights she then witnessed as a little girl; the burning of the church and other buildings, and of hearing the warwhoops of the savages, and the shouts of the soldiers.


She was a real "Daughter of the Revolution" who was actually under fire, and is buried in the old Erie st. cemetery, in section 23.


1832


BRAYTON


Over eighty years ago, two sons and a daughter of Thomas and Ruby Johnson Brayton came to Cleveland accompanied by their mother from Welna, Jefferson Co., N. Y. They were the descendants of Francis Bray- ton, who was made a freeman of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, in 1643.


The eldest son, Charles David Brayton, was a young physician who studied with the celebrated Dr. Valentine Mott of New York City, and hearing in 1832 of the ravages of the Asiatic cholera in the west, he came on to proffer medical services to the sufferers of the dread malady in this


383


1832


BRAYTON


locality, and afterward became very prominent in his profession and in society.


Meantime, he had married Miss Antoinette Gilbert, daughter of Mrs. Jane Gilbert of New York. Their first home was at 121 Seneca street, and later the fashionable part of Lake street.


Dr. Brayton's office was 27 Superior street.


Mrs. Antoinette Gilbert Brayton died, and Dr. Brayton married sec- ondly, Mrs. Sabrina (Loomis) Clark, widow of Asahel Clark, formerly of Cooperstown, N. Y., and a brother of James F. Clark, well-known mer- chant of Cleveland. Asahel and Sabrina Clark had a little daughter Mary who, in later years, married Dr. Maynard, an Englishman, and died not long afterward. Mary Clark Maynard was greatly beloved by all who knew her. She was very kind and charitable, having inherited a fortune from her father. During the Civil War she was closely identi- fied with the Women's Sanitary Commission of the city, and surrounding towns. She was a noble woman whose death caused universal sorrow. Her short married life was most unhappy, and her many friends could never be reconciled at her untimely fate.


The children of Dr. and Mrs. Sabrina Brayton :


Charles Asahel Brayton, m. Caro- Ness Yates of the well-known Al-


line Bingham, daughter of Will- bany family of that name. He was a grandson of John Van Ness


iam Bingham, a very prominent business man of the city. of Albany, and Washington, D. C.


Antoinette Brayton, m. John Van


Mrs. Yates, a society woman of the city, has spent all her life in Cleve- land. She is musical and artistic, and always has been much admired and loved by her family and friends.


Henry F. Brayton, brother of Dr. C. D. Brayton, at the age of twenty- five, was book-keeper for the Bank of Cleveland, and later was a pioneer of the insurance business of the city, in which he was engaged for the rest of his life. He married Charlotte Gilbert who was a sister of Mrs. C. D. Brayton. He boarded for a time with Mrs. Douglas Sloane, and after- ward lived on Superior street in the residence formerly occupied by Willard Burnham, now the site of the gas-office. He died in 1888, aged 76.


The children of Henry and Charlotte Brayton :


Henry Gilbert Brayton, m. Alice Justine Brayton, m. William Bryon Clark. of Minneapolis, Minn.


Isabelle Brayton, died unmarried at Jean Brayton, m. Harry Smith of the age of 45 years. Milwaukee, Wis.


Mrs. Charlotte Brayton died in 1858, aged 45 years.


Mrs. Thomas Brayton-Ruby Johnson-was born in 1774, two years before the American Revolution. She lived in Cleveland nearly twenty years, dying at the home of her son Henry Brayton in 1853. An unmar- ried daughter, Mary, also lived and died with her brother H. F. Brayton.


384


1


-


1832


HANDY


No history of Cleveland would be complete without mention of that pioneer banker, railroad director, and church deacon Trueman Parma- lee Handy. He was the son of William and Eunice Parmalee Handy of Paris Hill, near Utica, N. Y., and he came to town in the spring of 1832 at the age of 25 years.


Seated beside him in the long journey was his bride Harriet New- combe Hall, born in Albany, 1809, the daughter of Abram B. and Sally Hight Hall, then residing in Geneva, N. Y. The young couple were six days on this, their wedding-trip. The weather was cold and stormy, the roads in a terrible condition. Often the jolting, lumbering stage-coach would become stalled in a mud-hole, and all male passengers forced to alight and assist the driver in prying and lifting the wheels out on terra firma.


Mr. Handy was sent here by George Bancroft the historian, to serve as cashier of the old Commercial Bank of Lake Erie, the first bank in the city, which had been reorganized recently by Bancroft. When the young cashier entered or left the building that it occupied on the north-east corner of Superior and Bank street, he stepped upon the only paved walk in the city, a little strip the width of the bank; and when the sun beat down in sultry weather upon that corner, just as it does today, the bank officials would quench their frequent thirst at the only public well of the city that stood but a few feet away. To be sure, this exclusive style and convenient water privilege lost some of its dignity and value through the matronly swine that roamed the street with their squealing progeny closely following, and the flocks of geese encroaching upon the sacred mart of money-exchange. It certainly was humiliating to stumble over a big porker taking his noontide siesta at the very door of the bank, and to be hissed at for disturbing the feathered fowl of Roman lineage who loved to squat on the warm stones of the sidewalk, or bathe in the water that collected around the well.


For many years before his death, Mr. Handy was the dean of local banking interests, outranking even James J. Tracey who began four years later than Mr. Handy, as assistant teller in the old bank of Cleve- land. In 1834 we find T. P. Handy joining in the first railroad venture made by Cleveland men. They were Aaron Barker afterward postmas- ter of the city, David H. Beardsley, collector of the Ohio canal, John W. Allen the well-known lawyer, Horace Perry, who died the following year, Lyman Kendall the dry-goods merchant, and lastly James S. Clarke the pioneer real-estate boomer, who came to grief in the panic of 1837.


The Cleveland and Newburgh R. R. began on the Public Square back of the present Forest City House and stretched its wooden rails out Euclid ave. to a stone quarry near the site of Western Reserve Univer- sity. The cars, for freight only, were drawn by two horses driven tan- dem. For some reason the enterprise proved a failure, and its $50,000 stock became worthless. This however, did not deter Mr. Handy in 1845 from becoming a promoter and treasurer of the Cleveland, Colum- bus, and Cincinnati R. R., started under many difficulties, but eventually a success.


He was financially interested in the Cleveland Iron and Mining Co., a valuable enterprise that fairly coined money for all concerned in it.


385


1832


INGRAHAM


T. P. Handy was a deacon in the Old Stone Church as early as 1836 and he was one of the founders of the Second Presbyterian church in the '40s. He gave to it largely of his means and at his death the whole con- gregation felt personally bereaved.


Mr. and Mrs. Handy were very musical. They both sang in the choir of the Old Stone Church in their younger days, and Mr. Handy was chairman for many years of the musical committee of the Sec- ond Presbyterian Church. As early as 1836 he was president of the" Cleveland Mozart society, a flourishing musical organization of that day. Mrs. Handy had a beautiful soprano voice and she often sang in ora- torial concerts. Her only brother was Rev. Samuel H. Hall, who lived the latter part of his life in Newark, N. J. His daughter Miss Anna G. Hall, is still a resident of that place. Mrs. Handy was an invalid for several years previous to her death which occurred in 1880. Mr. Handy outlived her several years.


The family residence was on Euclid ave. near Dodge street, and the family burial-lot is in Lakeview cemetery. Trueman P. and Harriet Hall Handy had but two children-a little son who died young, and


Helen Handy, who married John S. summer home Lake Terrace, Newbury. Their residence in win- Gross Point Farms.


ter is Detroit, Mich., and their


The memory of Mr. and Mrs. T. P. Handy is preserved in the library furnishings of the Young Women's Christian Association, also by a tablet. They were presented by Mrs. Helen Handy Newbury. Mrs. Newbury died within the past year.


1832


INGRAHAM


Timothy Ingraham was the dashing young militia officer from Taun- ton, Mass., who, finding no local military organization in Cleveland such as he had affiliated with and commanded in his former eastern home, was shocked as well as grieved that this city should have so long over- looked the necessity for brave defenders in times of future need. With the late Alfred S. Sanford, he canvassed the list of Cleveland's young men possessed of military ambition and who had the physical appearance and social qualifications needful for a crack company of city guards.


This was accomplished in 1838, and after deciding the color of the uniforms, gray, the newly organized company was accordingly named the Cleveland Grays.


That was nearly 75 years ago, and six generations at least of Cleve- land's boys and girls have gazed with wonder and awe at the huge bear- skin hats and the tall drum-major, while loyal adults have smiled with civic pride as our Cleveland Grays march on Superior street or Euclid ave. upon national holidays. Not merely


386


1832


CRITTENDEN


"SOLDIERS ON PARADE"


has been this first, much-beloved military organization. Little did Timo- thy Ingraham, as first captain of the Cleveland Grays, dream that a lit- tle over twenty years later a large per cent of this new local company would be found enrolled in a terrible civil war, and that he himself would lead a Massachusetts regiment on the battle-field.


For Mr. Ingraham returned in 1845 to his native state. He was born in Taunton, Mass., but lived in New Bedford until 22 years of age, when, in 1832, he came to Cleveland. He soon became well known in other ways than as captain of the Grays. For several years he was secretary of the Ohio Canal Packet Co. and later was of the firm of Standart, Ingra- ham and Co., commission and forwarding merchants. The firm was com- posed of Needham Standart, Timothy Ingraham, and Stephen Clary. In- graham was city treasurer in 1840.


After his return to New Bedford, he was captain of the New Bedford City Guards, taking that company out in 1861 for the three months' serv- ice. He became Colonel of the 38th Massachusetts, and served through- out the civil war, during the latter part of which he was detailed as Provost Marshal General at Washington, D. C. He died in 1876.


Timothy Ingraham married first a Miss Mith, whether in the east or after his arrival here cannot be ascertained. She died in 1834 of cholera. He married secondly in 1835, Jane S. Wolverton, one of the accom- plished daughters of Stephen Wolverton of this city, and of whom more will be found in the sketch of that family.


The children of Timothy and Jane Wolverton Ingraham:


Charles W. Ingraham, b. 1836; d. Timothy Ingraham, Jr., b. 1844; m. 1867, unmarried. Emily Witter, dau. of the late Dr. William Witter of Windham, Conn.


Robert Ingraham, b. 1838; d. 1858, unmarried.


Alma Ingraham, b. 1839; d. 1863, unmarried.


Frank Ingraham, b. 1848.


Henry Ingraham, b. 1850; m. Anna


William Milford Ingraham, b. 1841; McNiel, daughter of Judge Mc- Niel.


m. a southern lady, and lived in New Orleans.


Charles, William, and Timothy Ingraham were officers o fthe army in active service throughout the civil war. Timothy and Henry Ingra- ham are living in this city, and engaged in business pursuits.


1832


CRITTENDEN


Joseph Hungerford Crittenden was born in Conway, Mass., in 1804. He was the son of Chester and Azuba Abbott Crittenden of Conway. His wife was Eliza Ariadne Kelley, daughter of James M. and Laura Howe




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.