The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II, Part 15

Author: Wickham, Gertrude Van Rensselaer, b. 1844; Cleveland Centennial Commission. Woman's Dept. Executive Committee
Publication date: 1914
Publisher: [Cleveland] Evangelical publishing house
Number of Pages: 344


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > The pioneer families of Cleveland 1796-1840 Vol. II > Part 15


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34


Mr. Joseph Ranney's grocery.


James A. Briggs-Law office.


Varnum J. Card's-justice office.


Moses White's building, occupied by William Alden's shoe-store.


Edmund Clark's building, occupied by two families.


Benjamin Hutchins' merchant tailor shop.


Joseph Sargent-looking-glass man- ufactury.


William Wells-bakery.


Daniel A. Shepard-chair-maker- heavy loss.


Robert Bailey's tin-shop.


A. Chadwick's dressing-room.


Mr. Irwin's tin-shop.


John Brown-hair-dressing.


Mr. Whittimore's-recess.


"The further progress of the flames was stopped by the solid wall of the Mansion House and by the indefatigable exertions of the firemen and citizens. It is feared that it will be necessary to tear down the latter building.


One life was lost, that of a girl 13 years old, named Maria Wright, who lived in the family of Mr. Benjamin as a domestic.


The origin of the fire is unknown to us. It is said, however, to have been first discovered on the outside of the rear building occupied by Mr. Benjamin."


"The damage to the Mansion House has not as yet been estimated. The loss to Mr. Segur the proprietor was very great owing to the careless manner in which the furniture was removed."


Cards of thanks to the business men of the town for kindness shown to the sufferers in their efforts to re-establish their stores and shops ap- peared in the Advertiser from time to time in the following months.


It is probable that when James Kellogg built this business block he moved the frame-residence that had occupied the lot for many years to the rear of it, and that it was in this dwelling where the fire started.


The site of the Kellogg buildings is now occupied by the American House.


507


1835


AIKEN


No clergyman of a strong personality could live an active clerical life of 44 years in a community without becoming an individual to be consulted or taken into consideration in any moral or religious movement in contemplation. It was natural then that the Rev. Samuel C. Aiken who came to Cleveland in 1835, to take charge of the First Presbyterian society, now the Old Stone Church, and who was its active pastor or pastor emeritus for that length of time, should become the central figure in the religious element of the city.


He baptized a small army of children, in some cases three genera- tions of a family, performed innumerable wedding ceremonies, and with words of hope and tenderness officiated at the last rites of many scores of Cleveland's citizens. Small wonder, then, that his name and mem- ory is still cherished by surviving members of his flock who recall his eloquence and his ministrations.


Though simple-mannered in his social life, his bearing in the pulpit was that of great dignity, his speech deliberate and impressive. He was fearless in criticism of what his judgment condemned and was the first Cleveland pastor to openly denounce slavery.


His salary must have been a secondary consideration with him, for, when the distressing panic of 1837 ruined financially many of the mem- bers of his church, he voluntarily relinquished $300 of his salary, which, at the highest figures of that day, could furnish but a modest support.


Dr. Aiken was born in Londonderry, N. H., and was 44 years old, not yet in the prime of life, when he came to Cleveland. He was a descend- ant of one of the Scotch-Irish founders of that town. His first important ministry was in Utica, N. Y., where he remained 18 years.


Many strong ties of friendship in Utica must have been severed, and doubtless many blessings followed Dr. and Mrs. Aiken to this far west- ern home. He found conditions here quite different from those he left in the older town, but he brought to bear upon them his keen judgment and religious experience of many years. He was often shocked by the lack of orthodox belief in the community, "yet never," it is said, "in favor of winning to the church by other than staid old-fashioned meth- ods."


Dr. Aiken was married when he came to Cleveland, and had children. His wife Delia Aiken, maiden name not learned, died in 1837, at the age of 37 years, and was buried in Erie st. cemetery. That same year, 1837, is recorded the deaths of two young children of the family.


Dr. Aiken married 2nd, Miss Henrietta Day, a member of a fine, New England family. She was related to Judge Sherlock Andrews, and the John Allens. Her health was impaired so that for many years she was an invalid, and therefore led a quiet life. She died in 1867, aged 67. She was a sister of Mrs. Maria Younglove and of Miss Emily Day. Her husband survived her twelve years.


The Aiken family lived at 120 Prospect street soon after their arrival in the city, and later on Erie street, and while residing at the latter place they also had a summer home in Summit county, where Dr. Aiken spent much time in his old age.


In the library of the late Reuben Smith of this city, there hangs a


508


1835


ADAMS


fine picture of Dr. Aiken, a valuable possession, and one of great interest to every one connected by tradition or affiliation to the Old Stone Church.


The family of Dr. and Mrs. Aiken consisted of two sons and an only daughter. The latter, Helen Aiken, in personality, both physical and mental, much resembled her father. She was dignified and reticent, except with relatives and intimate friends. She married Edward Day of Albany, N. Y., a distant cousin of her mother. Charles Aiken mar- ried Antoinette Cleveland, a beautiful and gifted woman, the daughter of Daniel Cleveland of this city. They both died in San Francisco, Cal. She was a prominent worker in the U. S. Sanitary commission during the civil war.


The youngest son of Dr. Aiken was lost sight of before his father's death, and it was rumored that he died and was buried at sea.


Dr. Aiken died in 1879, aged 83 years, and is buried in Erie st. ceme- tery.


1835 ADAMS


Cleveland was honored in 1835 by the arrival of a Revolutionary sol- dier, who for several years drew his pension in this city. He bore the historic and family name of Samuel Adams, and of course was of Mas- sachusetts stock. But after the close of the War of Independence, he removed to Vermont. He had a large family of children, several of whom were sons. These settled in and about East Aurora, N. Y., and after a sojourn there of a few years, one by one removed to Cleveland.


Mrs. Samuel Adams, Sr., wife of the veteran, was a Miss Anna Stone before her marriage. She died in 1842, and was buried in Erie street cemetery. Her husband the following year went to live with his son Lucas, who had preceded him to Michigan, and there he died shortly afterward.


The second son, Joseph Adams, who was a lawyer, at once opened an office at the corner of Ontario and Prospect streets. He was one of the ablest criminal lawyer in the state, and maintained a large and lucrative practice. His marriage was a romantic one. Upon his arrival in New Haven, Conn., on a business trip, he saw standing on the platform of the depot, either about to take a train or awaiting the arrival of some friend, a very attractive young girl. He was instantly interested in her, and she afterwards confessed that the tall, slender, and distinguished look- ing young lawyer caught her fancy on the spot. He made inquiry, learned that she was Miss Louise Clark, and before many days had passed re- ceived an introduction. They were married and he brought his bride to Cleveland. Afterward, her sister came to visit her, met Truman B. Peck, and became his wife.


When Joseph Adams was 70 years of age, he retired from the practice of law, bought a farm in Minnesota, and went to that state to manage it. He said to his nephew upon leaving, "You wait twenty years, and then come out, and I will show you the finest farm in the state." But he fell far short of reaching his ninetieth birthday.


509


1835


ADAMS


His brother, Samuel Adams, Jr., married Lucy Enos of Connecticut. She was a cousin of Nathan Perry, Jr., and therefore had kinsfolk to wel- come her when she came to the city. She was then about 40 years old, and her oldest child, Samuel E. Adams, had preceded her here two years, and was studying law with his uncle Joseph.


The family lived, for a time, near Clinton Park, in one of the "Twin Cottages." Their relatives, Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Paine, occupied the other. Previously, or afterward, the Adams family resided on the east side of Wood street, East 3rd, the second house south of St. Clair street. It is yet in as good condition as it was 70 years ago.


Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Adams, Jr., had five children.


Samuel E. Adams, m. Ruth Bugbee, daughter of Ebenezer Bugbee of Geneseo, N. Y.


Charlotte Adams, m. Capt. Rowland Johnstone.


Harriet Sophrona Adams, unmar- ried.


Amos Adams, m. -, and


removed to Michigan.


For over 60 years Samuel E. Adams practiced law in Cleveland, and was as noted a lawyer as his uncle Joseph. For a time, he was in partner- ship with Judge James M. Coffinberry, a distinguished member of the bar. Like most lawyers of the day, Samuel E. Adams was eloquent of speech, quick at repartee, and ready to meet in verbal warfare any of his peers.


It is to him we owe the statue of Moses Cleveland, standing in the Public Square, for, in an historical address before the Old Settlers' Asso- ciation in 1880, he suggested and urged that the debt the city owed its founder should be recognized in that manner. And at the dedication of the monument, eight years later, Mr. Adams made the address of the day at Music Hall, on Vincent street.


Mr. Adams was also a high degree Mason. He died in 1893.


Children of Samuel and Ruth Adams:


Georgiana Adams, m. Samuel Leon- John F. Adams, m. Celia L. Oviatt. ard. Albertine Adams, unmarried.


After the death of Mr. Adams, his widow and daughters moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa.


Joseph Adams, son of Samuel and Lucy Enos Adams, followed the lakes as a seaman, for a time, and afterwards, for many years, he was in the Standard Oil Co. He had three children.


Ruth Adams. Frank Adams, associated with his


Lucy Adams, a beautiful girl who father in business. Died in early died young. manhood of consumption.


Mr. Adams and daughter Ruth reside on East 84th street.


510


1835


ATWELL


Samuel Sterling Atwell was another Cleveland blacksmith who dig- nified that useful occupation by his honesty, industry, and other sterling qualities. His parents were Joseph and Ruth Sterling Atwell. He came here from Watertown, N. Y., in the early '30s.


His blacksmith shop stood on Erie street opposite the cemetery, and his residence was No. 77 Ontario street. Mrs. Esther Atwell, also from Watertown, and but the bride of a year, died in 1837, aged 25 years. She left no children.


Mr. Atwell chose another helpmate from Watertown. Miss Eliza Cheeseboro of that place became his wife. She was 23 years of age when she came to Cleveland, and her married life extended over 36 years. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Atwell was an unusually happy one, and its quiet hospitality was shared among many appreciative friends and neighbors.


Their son William was a handsome, manly fellow, and their daugh- ter Mary, three years younger, a pretty, slender girl, was very attractive. Both were children in whom their parents had every reason to take pride.


The Atwells removed to the West Side, and lived for a time on Wash- ington street, and later bought a residence on East Franklin street.


William lost his life when only 21 years of age, in the civil war. As sergeant of company B, 27th O. V. I., he was killed in action July 4th, 1862.


The bond of affection between brother and sister had been unusually strong, and William's death was a crushing blow from which Mary At- well never recovered. The parents, likewise, were prostrated with grief, and the whole community sympathized with the family in their bereave- ment.


Afterward Mary Atwell contracted an unfortunate marriage which led to much pecuniary loss, and both mother and daughter soon suc- cumbed to grief and misfortune, leaving Mr. Atwell bereft of fortune and every earthly tie.


After a year or two of loneliness, Mrs. Laura White, a very estimable woman who had been for many years an intimate friend of the family, married him, and for the rest of her life devoted herself to his comfort. He died in 1890, aged 82, nearly 60 years of which had been spent in Cleveland.


The family burial-lot was in Erie street cemetery until recently, when the occupants of it were reinterred in the new cemetery in Warrensville.


Ensign Benjamin Atwell of New London, Conn., a soldier of the Rev- olution, was the grandfather of the Cleveland pioneer.


1835 INGLEHART


Among the prominent physicians of the city previous to 1840, was Dr. Smith Inglehart. His wife was a Buffalo lady, a Miss Maria Johnson. Her sister married the famous Buffalo clergyman Dr. Lord, who had charge of a Presbyterian church in that city through a lifetime of two or three generations.


511


1835


INGLEHART


Mrs. Inglehart is remembered as a pleasant little lady with very nice manners. She died early, and her husband married 2nd, Miss Sarah Johnson, a cousin of his first wife. The wedding was in Old Trinity Church, corner of Seneca and St. Clair streets. The Ingleharts boarded, for a time, after coming to the city, with the W. V. Craws, and then com- menced housekeeping on Broadway between Cross and Ohio streets. Their nearest neighbors were the Stricklands and the Handersons. The house previously had been occupied by the Chamberlains.


Mrs. Maria Inglehart left three children.


George Inglehart, m. Miss Culberson of Solon, Ohio. They moved to Chicago.


Fred J. Inglehart, m. a Buffalo lady.


Maria Inglehart, m. James Gill. He died, and his widow resides in Glenville. The family burial-lot is in Erie street cemetery.


1835


The wave of immigration that struck Cleveland in 1835 taxed the re- sources of the village to the uttermost to find adequate accommodations for the countless families that poured into the city by steamboat, canal, and stage-routes. Several new streets were laid out, and large lots near the center of town were divided into many smaller ones, and built upon. The view of the river and the flats was beautiful, and any location that commanded it was eagerly seized upon for dwellings. Little did anyone dream that the edge of the big ravine, then so charming, would one day be the site of poverty and vice.


Ashbel W. Walworth was then living on a farm at the junction of Broadway and Ontario streets, and he allotted the south-west part of it, and sold lots to the new residents. And because of its location, the street they faced was given the name of Hill street. It was a beautiful spot. And very restful was it for the busy housewives who lived there to pause in their work and look from door or window across the river-valley to the high hills of Newburgh. Several New England families built homes here before and after the '40s, the Cottrells, the Bakers, Gunnings, Jud- kins, and others. The writer has been unable to learn much of their pos- terity. Two of the families intermarried with those who came earlier, the Judkins and Bakers.


1835


CHANDLER


Alstead, New Hampshire, lost and Cleveland, Ohio, gained several well-known families of the former place in 1835.


The Brainards, the Benjamin Rouses, the Binghams, and the Chandlers were some of them.


512


1835


CHANDLER


In September, 1835, Joel Chandler, his wife Sophia Smith Chandler, and their three children, Joel, Sophia, and Mary, seated themselves in a big farm-wagon. The father whipped up the black horse, and its mate the bay one, and the start for the three weeks' trip to Ohio was made. But first there were many farewells and lingering handclasps from neigh- bors and friends; for the undertaking was far from being an easy one or a light one. Would it prove successful? Those left behind hoped for the best. Had not word come from the Nathan Brainards, the Elijah Bing- hams and other former townsfolk that all was well with them in that western land?


And if nothing serious happened on the way there, Joel Chandler and family might eventually share in the good fortune that seemed awaiting every one who chose Cleveland for a future home. The travelers spent that first night with the Stowells, relatives living in Rockingham, Vt., and all the following day the faithful black and bay team trotted through the beautiful Green Mountain scenery. As the son of the family wrote fifty years later :


"Across the Empire State we passed, The Keystone State came next and last."


Upon reaching Cleveland, they were sheltered by Mr. and Mrs. Ben- jamin Rouse, living on Superior street.


"Dear old neighbors we had known . In brave New Hampshire's land of stone."


Mr. Joel Chandler settled on a farm outside of town. Think of the corner of Prospect and Bolivar Road as a suburb of Cleveland! Yet that it was in 1835.


Two years later the financial panic struck the city, and struck it hard. Whether of this, or because the sandy soil of the locality proved unproduc- tive, has not been stated, but in 1838, Mr. Chandler invested in a farm in Richland, Summit county, O., and removed to it.


Hiram Smith, a brother of Mrs. Chandler, also came west and set- tled on Vermont street, west side.


The children of Joel and Sophia Smith Chandler :


Joel A. Chandler, m. Martha M. Sophia M. Chandler, m. Judson Cul- Buck.


ver. Mary Jane Chandler.


Children of Joel A. and Martha Buck Chandler :


Francis M. Chandler, m. 1st, Effie Barney; m. 2nd, Mary G. Mahon. Jennie A. Chandler, m. Clarence Ellsworth.


George L. Chandler, also Irving, Laura, Orson, Park, deceased.


Mr. Francis M. Chandler, whose office is in the Williamson Building, represents the Joel Chandler family in this city. He is the popular treas- urer of the Old Settlers' Association. One of his sons, Capt. C. DeForest Chandler, U. S. A., is being mentioned often in scientific circles.


513


1835


JUDKINS


George B. Judkins and wife came from New York state near Albany. Mrs. Judkins was Mary Sproat, daughter of Robert Sproat. She was born on Broadway, New York City, in 1816. Her father was a building con- tractor, and business called him to Albany while Mary was yet a little girl, and Albany still a quiet, old-fashioned city.


As a child she went with other children to call upon the last patroon Van Rensselaer and bid him a "Happy New Year." For which greeting she received from him a gift. He sat in a huge kitchen surrounded with baskets filled with children's hats, tippets, mittens, etc., and by a table heaped with books. Every child who called upon him was invited to help itself to some article at hand, anything it preferred. The event was anti- cipated with much interest by Albany children, rich and poor. And so his little New Year callers were of all sorts and conditions of children. The better bred selected books or candy, while those who stood in need of clothing were made happy by a garment of their own selection.


Mrs. Judkins lived until recently. At the time of her death, she re- sided with her daughter in a pretty home on E. 111th street. She was an exceedingly interesting old lady with a phenomenal memory concerning early Cleveland days. In her declining years, she was tenderly cared for by her daughter Martha, a former successful public school teacher.


The father of the family died many years ago.


The children were:


William, George, Martha, and Emily Judkins. The latter married Walton Pelty.


1835


BROOKS


Among the hundreds of families that poured into town, during the boom of 1835, was that of a widow 48 years of age, her two sons 21 and 24 years old, and a little daughter.


The arrival of this family was an asset to the village of that day as it is to the city of the present time. Mrs. Joshua Brooks and her sons William and Oliver became personally known to all business men in town, especially the homesick, unmarried, and lonely ones boarding at hotels and thinking longingly of parental homesteads in the far distant east; for she established a first-class, private boarding-house for men only, which for many years was a home indeed to several well-known citizens.


She kept plenty of help, among which was a porter to handle trunks and furniture, and a hostler to look after the horses of her guests. She made a fine living for herself and daughter, and doubtless assisted her sons to establish themselves in business. In the financial depression that followed within two years of her arrival here, when strong men were


514


1835


BROOKS


struggling with disaster, or surrendering to a hopeless situation of their affairs, Mrs. Brooks kept on the even tenor of her way undisturbed and unaffected by the financial storm.


She was born Melinda Keith, daughter of Ruel and Abigail Allen Keith of Hardwick, Mass. Her American ancestor was Rev. James Keith, first minister of Bridgewater, Mass. He was born in Scotland, 1644.


Miss Keith married Joshua Brooks, Jr., of Lincoln, Mass., a town in which six generations of the Brooks family have lived. He removed to Burlington, Vt., and died there in 1829, six years before his widow and children came to Cleveland.


He was the son of Joshua Brooks, Sr., who was one of the farmers at Concord Bridge the sound of whose muskets were "Heard round the world." Joshua, Sr., and his father also served in the Revolutionary army at later dates.


The first American ancestors of the family were Capt. Thomas Brooks and his wife Grace Brooks, 1634, who settled in Watertown, Mass.


Children of Joshua and Melinda Keith Brooks :


Martha Barrett Brooks, b. Pittsford, Vt., 1809; m. William Cleveland ;


d. Orange, N. J., 1875. Cleveland, 1854.


Oliver Allen Brooks, b. Middlebury, Vt., 1814; m. 1840, Elenor Brad- bury Kingsley ; d. Cleveland, 1892.


William Joshua Brooks, b. Salis- bury, Vt., 1811; d. unmarried in


Melinda Keith Brooks, b. Burling- ton, Vt., 1828; d. unmarried in Cleveland.


1835


BAKER


John Baker and his wife Christina McArthur Baker settled on the new Hill street in 1836. They came from Charlottsburg, Ontario, and their home was filled with happy, hearty sons and daughters. The older boys attended a little country school on Pittsburg street.


The children of John and Christina Baker:


Henry Baker, m. Mary Knowlton. Peter Baker, m. Miss Shannon. William A. Baker, m. Mary Lamp- son.


Elisabeth Baker, m. Frederick Kit- tridge of Norwalk, Ohio.


Charles Brayton Baker, m. Bertha Roberts.


John Baker, Jr., unmarried. Edward Baker, unmarried.


Christina Baker, m. Hamilton Stick- ney, and raised a family of very bright children. They lived on the west side.


515


1835


BROOKS


Oliver Allen Brooks was 21 years of age when he accompanied his wid- owed mother from Burlington, Vt., to this town in 1835, and for 57 years was a familiar figure on Superior street, one of that thoroughfare's best known merchants.


He began his business career with very limited capital and at a time when the whole country was in financial distress, and that he succeeded in gaining even a footing in the commercial circles of the city shows that he must have possessed unusual business acumen and tenacity.


He became associated with Henry D. Huntington in the sale of crock- ery and glass ware at No. 5 Superior street, sign of the big pitcher, which eventually developed into a large wholesale and importing business both in Cincinnati and this city.


He was one of Cleveland's epoch-makers through the building of the first modern business block on Water street corner of Frankfort.


It was a stone structure of fine proportions.


Mr. O. A. Brooks maintained several active commercial relations, among which was his connection with the Society for Savings as a trustee, and as a director of the Ohio National Bank.


For 28 years he was a vestryman of Trinity Church and for 14 years held the same office in St. Paul's. He was loyally devoted to the Protes- tant Episcopal faith, and ever prompt, faithful, and wise in the dis- charge of his duties as an officer in the churches with which he was affil- iated. The Trinity Church Home for the invalid and the aged claimed his special interest and service; for 22 years he was its treasurer.


In his family relations he was a devoted husband and brother, unself- ish, indulgent, always thinking of others rather than himself. He died in May, 1892.


Elinora Bradbury Kingsley, whom Mr. Brooks married Sept., 1840, was the daughter of Rev. Phineas and Parnel Keith Kingsley of Rutland, Vt. Her father died in Brooklyn, Ohio, her mother in Buffalo, N. Y.


Mrs. Brooks' American ancestor was John Kingsley who settled in Dorchester, Mass., about the year 1638. She was of the eighth generation in line from this progenitor. Her feminine forbears were Abigail Woods, Abigail Palmer, Ruth Adams, Sarah Sabin, and Mehitable Morey.


Mrs. O. A. Brooks was a charming woman greatly beloved by her fam- ily and friends, and during all the years of her residence in Cleveland a valuable worker in Old Trinity and its "Home."


A bronze tablet memorial to Oliver Allen Brooks is erected in Trinity Chapel, and his name is inscribed on one of the pillars of Trinity Cathe- dral.


The children of Oliver and Elenora Kingsley Brooks:




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.