USA > Illinois > McLean County > The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men > Part 107
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108 | Part 109 | Part 110 | Part 111 | Part 112 | Part 113 | Part 114 | Part 115 | Part 116 | Part 117 | Part 118 | Part 119 | Part 120 | Part 121 | Part 122 | Part 123 | Part 124 | Part 125 | Part 126 | Part 127 | Part 128 | Part 129 | Part 130 | Part 131 | Part 132 | Part 133 | Part 134 | Part 135 | Part 136 | Part 137 | Part 138 | Part 139 | Part 140 | Part 141 | Part 142 | Part 143 | Part 144 | Part 145 | Part 146 | Part 147 | Part 148 | Part 149 | Part 150 | Part 151 | Part 152 | Part 153
O. C. RUTLEDGE, of the firm of I. Vanordstrand & Co., grain, lumber etc., Heyworth ; was born in McLean Co., Ill., on his father's farm, located in the present township of Randolph, Oct. 19, 1831, where he lived until the age of 27; in the summer of 1855, he bought grain in heyworth for Mr. E. Birney, of Le Roy, this county, and thus did the first business transacted at Hleyworth ; at first the business was very small-all the grain was handled by hand, and weighed on small platform scales. In the fall a small warehouse was built, in which to handle and store the grain. In the spring of 1856, Mr. Birney quit the business at this point, and the firm of Elder & Rutledge was formed, doing business until April 1, 1858, when they consolidated with Mr. I. Vanordstrand, and did business as I. Vanordstrand & Co .; during the following summer, Mr. Rutledge withdrew from the firm; and on being married, he moved to Downs Township, engaging in farming ; he remained there two years, when he returned to Heyworth and engaged in the general merchandise business with Mr. J. C. McFarland-the firm being McFarland & Rutledge ; they continued in the business until 1865; during three years of this time Mr. McFarland was in the army, and Mr. Rutledge had the entire management ; he then sold out his interest, and bought an interest in the business of I. Vanordstrand & Co., and has continued a member of that firm since ; in 1872, Mr. Elder withdrew from the firm. Mr. Rutledge is the oldest living native resident of this township. In 1862 he was Assessor, and received the appointment of Township Treasurer the same year; he has also held the offices of Township ('lerk, Village Trustee, Corporation and School Treasurer. He married Miss Sarah 1. Elder June 8, 1858, who died in 1865; they had one child-Mary F. Ile married Miss Letitia A. Battershell, Dec. 24, 1866; they have two children living, viz., Lettie and Lyndon.
T. O. RUTLEDGE, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Heyworth ; is a native of Augusta, Ga .; he was born Sept. 17, 1806, and lived there six years; he then, with' his parents, moved to Henderson Co., Ky., where he lived thirteen years. when he came to Illinois and settled in San- gamon Co., where he lived one year ; in 1826, he settled on his present place and has lived here since. Jan. 1, 1829, he married Miss Cynthia Rutledge, of Kentucky ; they were married in this township, and had twelve children-seven living: five in this county, one in Missouri and one in Kansas; he owns 343 acres in this county, having given all his children farms, all of which he has earned by his own labor and management. He came here in au old wagon, which, with a team of oxen, constituted his possessions at that time. He was in the service sixty days with Gen. Stillman, in the Black Hawk war, and was present at the General's defeat ; after the expiration of the sixty days, he enlisted for thirty days to assist in building block houses in Chicago. His father died in Kentucky ; his mother and eight children came here in the wagon. Being the oldest, the care of the farm and family principally fell to him. His mother died in 1836, near Le Roy, this county.
R. II. RUTLEDGE, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Heyworth : is a native of Henderson Co., Ky .; he was born on his father's farm March 21, 1810, and lived there five years, when, with his parents, he came to Illinois and settled in White Co., where they engaged in farming ; in 1824, they moved to Sangamon Co., thence to Logan Co., and in 1826, they came to Randolph Grove and settled near the present place. Aug. 20, 1830, Mr. Thomas Rutledge died ; he was born in South Carolina, and married Miss Sallie Smith, of Georgia ; they had twelve children- four now living. Mr. R. II. Rutledge being the eldest son at home, he took the management of the farm. In 1831, he improved a farm near Le Roy for his mother, his father having sold the
847
RANDOLPH TOWNSHIP.
old homestead just previous to his death. She moved to the Le Roy farm, taking the family, except Wr. R. Il., who, June 9, 1831, married Miss Charity Weedman, a native of Perry Co .. Ohio; this was the first marriage in McLean Co .; after his marriage, he entered a part of his present place. In the fall of 1831, he made his first trip to Chicago, going by ox team, and has since made upwards of twenty trips by team to that point. He marketed at Fort Clark (now Peoria ) as early as 1827; he owns 253 acres in this township, which is well improved and stocked ; Oct. 16, 1872, he lost his dwelling-house by fire. In building his present residence, he used eight-inch sills of oak and walnut, made from trees that have grown up since his settle- ment here ; he had twelve children-six living, viz., Mary Jane, Sarah L., George T. Nancy E., Leander and Marquis De L.
J F. RUST, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Randolph ; was born in Maury Co., Tenn., Aug. 11, 1816, where he lived about six years, when, with his parents he moved to Monroe Co., Miss., where they lived two years; they then moved to West Tennessee and lived there four years, when they came to Illinois, and settled in Hamilton Co .; in the spring of 1834, he came to McLean Co. with a drove of cattle, belonging to Isaac and Jesse Funk, bringing some to Funk's Grove; he then worked by the month for Mr. Jesse Funk. having hired to him in the southern part of the State, and lived with him in all about six years; in 1839, he bought 120 acres in De Witt Co. Oct. 22, 1840, he married Miss Elizabeth Lindley, a native of Christian Co., Ky., and, in November following, moved to his farm and lived there six years ; he then sold out and moved to Randolph Grove, on a farm near his present place; in the winter of 1857, he came to his present place and has lived here since; he has marketed produce in Chicago, also at Ft. Clark and Pekin ; he has given farms to all of his children, and has 400 acres for himself and wife, all of which he has earned by his own labor and management.
II. J. RUST, SR., farmer and stock-raiser ; P. O. Randolph ; was born in Maury Co., Tenn., Jan. 6, 1823 ; in 1829, he came to Illinois with his parents, who settled in Hamilton Co .; Nov. 28, 1834, they bought 100 acres in Randolph Township of Gov. Moore, for $6 per acre ; in 1847, they moved to Lyttleville, where his father and others built a saw and grist mill ; in 1852, he bought a land-warrant and entered his present place and has lived here since. Feb. 24, 1848, he married Ruth E. Boroughs, who was a native of Dearborn Co., Ind., and died Nov. 27, 1862; Sept. 31, 1863, he married Miss Elizabeth Hoover, who is a native of Clermont Co., Ohio. In 1846, he volunteered for Col. Baker's regiment, but was put in reserve and never called for. He owns 1833 acres in this township, which he has earned by his own labor and management, his start in lite being a horse and saddle ; his parents, William and Nancy ( McGee) Rust, were natives of Granville Co., N. C .; they were born Feb. 23, 1793, and Nov. 11, 1789 ; they had nine chil- dren ; both died in this township Aug. 5. 1868, and Ang. 25, 1873, respectively.
J. SLAGEL (of the firm of Slagel & Peters), blacksmith, Heyworth ; was born on his father's farm in Randolph Co., Va., March 8, 1830, where he lived eighteen years ; he then went to Harper's Mill, in Pendleton Co., Va., where he was apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith with Jacob W. Harper, and remained six years, during which time, on April 17, 1851, he mar- ried Miss Huldah Raines, of Pendleton Co., Va., and by whom he has had ten children, six of whom are now living, viz., Martha E., Mary Susan, Noah W., Charlie, Minnie and George J. In 1854, he moved to Coles Co., Ill., where he lived until 1857, when he came to Heyworth and engaged in his present business ; beginning in a small way, he gradually kept increasing the business, and, in 1871, he took Mr. J. Peters as a partner ; the business flourished under the management of the firm, and besides a horse-power engine, they added several improved machines to facilitate the work in their carriage and wagon manufactory, and later, they added a feed and meal mill ; in 1872, when the depression that followed was beginning to be felt, the firm began to curtail the business, believing such course better than to have a stock of goods on hand made under the disadvantage of former high prices; the working force was reduced and the stock on hand disposed of, and no new stock was made except on orders; the capital arising from the sale of the stock was placed in good and marketable real estate, so that when the depression became general and severe, though the firm experienced a great falling off in trade and shrinkage of values, they were in no wise embarrassed by the change.
SAMUEL R. STILLMAN, farmer ; P. O. leyworth : was born in Sussex Co , N. J., on his father's farm, Jan. 1, 1823 ; he lived there a few years, and then moved to Morris Co., N. J., and lived there until 1838, when, with his parents, he came to Illinois and settled on his present place ; his father entered the place, buying it from the government at $1.25 per acre ; he lived with his parents until 1849. Dec. 20, of that year, he married Miss Polly E. Peasley, a native of Virginia ; she died Nov. 17, 1870. In November, 1854, he moved to Lyttleville, in this town- ship, and bought an interest in a saw and grist mill which had been erected for sawing ties for the Illinois Central Railroad ; he carried on the mill until March, 1860, when he returned to the present place ; in 1861, he sold his interest in the mill, and, in Angust, 1862, he enlisted in the 94th I. V. I., Co. B, and remained in service until the close of the war ; he was in the siege of Vicksburg, battles of Ft. Gaines, Ft. Morgan, Spanish Fort and the other battles of the regi- ment. He owns 400 acres in this county, located on Mud creek, two and a half miles west of Heyworth, on the main road to McLean, which enjoys the reputation of running through the best ten miles of land in the county. Nov. 28, 1871, he married Miss Prudence E. Moore; she
848
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
was born in Morgan Co., Ohio, Feb. 28, 1839; the members of the family are, Margaret ( . Martin V., Malinda J., Albert R., Sylvester P., Herschel E., Maria L., Mary L , Samuel E., Ray E. and Judson M.
A. R. STILLMAN, farmer and stock-raiser : P. O. Heyworth ; is the son of Samuel R. and Polly E. (Peasley ) Stillman, and was born in Lyttleville, Randolph Township, McLean Co., III , March 10, 1855, and came with his parents to a farm adjoining his present place. Sept. 3, 1874, he married Miss Sarah Nickerson, who was born in this township, and died June 3, 1875; March 16, 1876, he married Miss Henrietta Greeney, who was born in this township ; they have one child-Oakley E. After his marriage, he came to his present place and has lived here since : it is located on the main road from Heyworth to MeLcan, about three miles west of the former pla e.
J. S. STOCKDALE. farmer and stock-raiser ; P. O. Heyworth ; was born in Allegheny Co., Penn., Jan. 26, 1814, where he lived about sixteen years, when, with his parents, he moved to Washington Co., same State, and engaged in farming, remaining there until 1854: they then moved to Monongahela City, where he worked at wood-turning in a chair and cabinet-ware factory, and remained one year; he then came West to Illinois, and bought a farm in Sangamon Co., which he sold the following fall and returned to Monongahela City, remaining there until spring ; he again came to Illinois. stopping with his brother-in-law, Mr. Porter, near Blooming- ton, and lived with him until the following September, when he bought and settled on his pres- ent place, which now contains 150 acres, located one mile from Heyworth, on the main road to McLean ; it is well supplied with living water, there being three or four mineral springs, which though not improved give ample evidence of their worth ; one is in daily use, and is looked upon as the family drug store. Feb. 26 1847, he married Miss Margaret Curry, a native of Pitts- burgh, Penn. ; they have three children, viz. : William B., James C and Alice V.
A. M. STRINGFIELD farmer and stock-raiser : P. O. Randolph ; was born near Murfrees- boro, Tenn., Oct. 14, 1809, and lived in Tennessee about one year; when, with his parents, he went to Huntsville, Ala., where he lived until the fall of 1819; when, with his parents, he came to Illinois, and lived one season in White Co. : then moved to Sangamon Co., where he lived about one year; while there his father died ; in the spring of 1823, he, his brother and brother- in-law, came to Randolph Grove, and he and his brother improved a farm for their mother, which she settled on in the fall of 1823 : and, in March, 1824, Miss Temperance Stringfield and John W. Taylor were married ; this was the first marriage in what is now McLean Co. ; they lived there until 1826, when Mrs. Stringfield and her children-Severe, A. M. and Virginia, went to Galena. Ill., where they carried on a wagon-shop, and ran teams, which they continued for two years, during which, Mrs. Stringfield died. In the fall, A. M. returned to Randolph Grove, and engaged in farming on the place he helped to improve for his mother ; in November, 1831, he took cattle to Galena, and in February, 1832, he settled on his present place. March 25. of the same year, he married Miss Amelia Hand, a native of Ohio; her parents settled near the east side of the Grove io 1824: they had eight children, seven living-Thomas C., Jesse F., George H., John H., Barbria H., Elizabeth V. and Mary E. In 1831, he was elected an officer in the 39th Regiment Illinois Militia, being Captain of Co. B. He has been Justice of the Peace for eight years, Supervisor of this township (two first terms after county organization), and has served about four years since, Though he has given land to his children, he retains 300 acres for himself and wife. Mr. Stringfield was one of the early settiers of this county, and his early days are full of amusing and thrilling scenes and incidents among the Indians and wild animals; he carries the scars of several wolf-bites-a full account of which, together with his adventures with the Indians, would fill an ordinary book.
S. T. THERY, engineer and Police Magistrate. Heyworth ; is a native of Jefferson Co., Ohio, and was born in Tiltonsville, where he lived about eighteen years. He was then appren- ticed to the cabinet trade in Warren Co., where he remained two years ; he then came to Illinois, and settled near Le Roy, where he engaged in farming, and lived there most of the time until 1854, when he came to Heyworth and engaged at wagon manufacturing, continuing until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. B, 94th I. V. I., being Corporal : was in the service nearly three years. In February, 1865, he was transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps, and was made Com- pany Clerk, which he held about one month, when he was promoted to Sergeant. He was in the battles of Prairie Grove, Siege of Vicksburg, where he was taken sick and confined to hospital one year; after his discharge. he came to Ifeyworth, and worked at wagon-making, following the same until 1868. August I, of that year, he took his present position, and has held the same since. lle has held the office of Town and Village Clerk about five years. In 1877, he was elected Police Magistrate of Heyworth. Oct. 21, 1865, he married Miss Eliza J. Mills, who was born in Ohio Co , Va. They have five children, viz. : Sarah A., Alma, Ida, Mamie and Melorie.
T. M. THORNBURY, farmer; P. O. Randolph ; is a native of Chester Co., Penn., where he was born Aug. 17, 1829. where he lived until he was 23 years of age, during which time he learned the carpenter's trade, and followed it for seven years: he then engaged in butchering and marketing, at West Chester and Philadelphia, continuing in the business ten years. In 1862, he came West to Illinois, and settled on a farm three miles east of Bloomington, and lived
849
RANDOLPH TOWNSHIP.
there until 1867, when he moved to Bloomington, and entered into partnership with E. Barber, and built the Union Flouring Mills of that place ; he finally sold his interest, and bought the flouring-mill and warehouse at Shirley, and conducted the business there for a year and a-half, when he sold ont the business ; during this time he resided in Bloomington ; he then moved to a farm about three miles northwest of Bloomington, and remained there until 1865, when he came to his present place. Oet. 10, 1861, he married Mrs. Mary A. Preston, formerly Miss Mary A. Price ; she is a native of Philadelphia.
GEORGE UHRICH, blacksmith, Heyworth ; is a native of Uhrichsville, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio ; he was born Oct. 4, 1829, and lived there until he was 15 years of age, when he went to Cadiz, Ohio, and was apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith, and remained there until he was 18 years of age ; he then worked transient until he was 21, when he engaged in the business for himself, at Uhrichsville, where he remained until the spring of 1857, when he came to Illinois, and stopped in Bloomington, remaining transient until 1859, when he came to Heyworth, and engaged with Mr. Forsby, who carried on a shop at this place; after working a few months, he engaged in the business on his own account (buying out a Mr. Graham, who also had a shop here, ) and is carrying on the business since. Adjoining his is a wagon shop, and in new work, the two shops work as one, thus giving each the advantage of the other, and enabling them to do all kind of building and repairing in their respective lines. On Sept. 12, 1852, he married Miss Adaline Brown, of Putnam Co., N. Y. They have five children.
ISAAC VANORDSTRAND, of the firm of I. Vanordstrand & Co., grain, Inmber, etc., Hey- worth ; is a native of Washington Co., Penn., and was born Feb. 11, 1824, on his father's farm, where he lived until the age of 20; he then attended the Cross Creek Academy, where he remained about eighteen months. In September, 1845, he came West to Illinois, settling in McLean Co., and taught the Kimbler School at Diamond Grove; he then took charge of a general mer- chandise business for Mr. Wm. Mahon, assignee for his son John D. ; his wages in this capacity were $8.33 per month, his time lacking six days of being three months, and, to complete that period, he spent the six days in the harvest field. After visiting Pennsylvania, he formed a part- nership with H. J. Short and J. N. Low, under the firm name of Short, Vanordstrand & Low, general merchants, located at Short Point. In the following April, Mr Short withdrew, and the firm became Vanordstrand & Low, who moved the business to Independence (the present site of Mr. Vanordstrand's residence), and conducted the business until February, 1848, when he bought ont Mr. Low, and conducted the busines+ until 1850, at which time his brother John took an interest with him, the firm name being 1. and J. Vanordstrand. In 1852, Mr. Johu Vanord- strand sold his interest to his brother Parker, who was a silent partner. In 1856, the firm sold out to J. C. Frisby, who moved the business to a town then located one and one-half miles north of the present village of Heyworth. The following winter, the store burnt down, which proved the collapse of both business and town. From 1856 to 1857, Mr. Vanordstrand was engaged in setting up his former business and the management of his farm. In 1857, he bought out J. S. and G. P. Barber, who were carrying on the grain and lumber business in Heyworth. April 8, 1858, he consolidated with Elder and Rutledge, the firm being 1. Vanordstrand & Co. In 1872, Mr. Elder withdrew. In Sept. 14, 1848, he married Miss Eliza Ann Low, a native of Blooming Grove, this connty, she was born April 30 1832. They had three children; two living, viz., Willie and Craig.
W. VANORDSTRAND, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Heyworth ; is a native of Randolph Township, MeLean Co., Ill., and was born on his father's farm, near the village of Heyworth, Nov. 20, 1855, where he lived about twenty-one years. except two years he spent at school, in Lincoln, this State. Nov. 22, 1876, he married Miss N. M. Noble, who was born in Randolph Township, this county, Dee. 26, 1858. They have two children, viz. : Charley V. and Carl. In the spring of 1877, he came to his present place, which contains 160 acres, located two and one- half miles from Heyworth, on the main road to McLean.
L. D. WELCH, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. box 965, Bloomington ; is a native of Ran- dolph Township, MeLean Co., Ill , and was born Dec. 2, 1847, and has always lived in this county. He lived with his parents until he was 23 years of age, when they moved to Blooming- ton, and he and his father worked the farm in partnership ; his father furnishing the help. In 1876, he traded a farm he owned east of this for the present place, paying the difference in values. Sept. 22, 1869, he married Arabella J. Lemen, who was born in Ohio ; they have four children, viz .: Minnie L., John E., William B. and Gertrude May. At the age of 11 he joined the M. E. Church, and has taken an active interest in its affairs ; he is Church Steward and Trustee, and has been Superintendent of the Sabbath school. He has not sought for office in county affairs, and has held none except in connection with the schools.
J. A. WELCH, farmer and stock-raiser ; P. O. Downs ; The subject of this sketch was born in Downs Township in this county, on his father's farm, Jan. 6, 1849, where he lived until he was 23 years of age. He married Miss Myrtilla J. Bishop, Nov. 23, 1871 ; she was born in Randolph Township in this county ; they have three children, viz .: Henry A. Jr., Florence and Mary M. After this marriage, he came to his present place and has lived here since. He owns 227 acres in this township, which is located 10 miles southeast of Bloomington and four miles s uthwest of Downs Station.
850
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
LEXINGTON TOWNSHIP.
JOSEPH B. AMBROSE, clerk, Lexington ; born in Morgan Co., Va., Nov. 8, 1821, which was his home until his removal to Troy, Miami Co., Ohio, in 1843, where he resided some three years ; in 1848, he returned to the county of his nativity, locating at Berkeley Springs, and sub- sequently to West Virginia. Ile was married in 1853, to Miss Mary E. Hyre, who was born in Upshur Co., West Va .; in the spring of 1854, he removed to Illinois, locating at Lexington, which has since been his home Mr. A. has served as member of the Town Council two terms. VALENTINE J. BECKER (V. J. Becker & Co.), drugs and groceries, Selma ; born in Buf- falo, N. Y., Oct. 3, 1853, but removed to lllinois in early childhood, with his father's family, locating at Lexington, this county ; in July, 1874, he was employed as clerk in the drug store of McNaught & Butler, where he remained until Feb. 12, 1878; for a few months of the same year he was with a drug firm at Kenosha, Wis., but engaged with Matt. W. Borland, pharmacist at No. 378 West Van Buren street, Chicago, Ill., in July of that year ; he engaged in the drug business, under the firm name of V. J. Becker & Co., at his present location, Jan 20, 1879.
GEORGE BRADFORD, farmer, Sec. 21 ; P. O. Selma; born in Cumberland Co., Me., June 29, 1823, and is a son of David Bradford, who was born in the same State; Mr. B. is a descend- ant of Gov. Bradford, of colonial times, and therefore of the old Pilgrim stock; at the age of 13, he moved to North Bridgewater, Mass., where he resided until his removal to the West; in the fall of 1854, he removed to Illinois, locating at Pleasant Hill, his present home, where he fol- lowed shoemaking for some years. and afterwards engaged in the drug business ; in the spring of 1877, he sold his drug stock and became a tiller of the soil. He has filled the office of School Treasurer seventeen years; was elected Justice of the Peace in 1872, and still holds that office ; owns 130 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre. In 1850, he was married to Miss Martha Paul, who was born in Dedham, Mass. ; they have three children-George C., Charles W. and Mary E.
JONATHAN CREERY, farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Selma; born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Aug. 1, 1835, where he resided until 1853, removing to St. Joseph Co., Ind., in the spring of that year ; in 1855, he crossed the plains, arriving at Placerville, Aug. 10 of that year, where he engaged in mining ; some two years later he went to Southern Oregon, thence to Frasier River in 1858; when they entered the British possessions, they had to pay a fee of $15 ; this entitled the miner to a license good for three months, and at the end of that time the license was renewed for an other quarter for the fee of $5 : after a short stay, he returned to Oregon ; in 1861, he went to Idaho, thence to Montana, some three or four years later, where he, with others, discovered the Elk Creek mines, which proved to be very rich ; in 1867, he returned to the States, and the fol- lowing year, purchased the farm known as the Esq. Thompson place, where he has since resided ; owns 220 acres of land in Lexington Township. Married, in 1858, to Miss Rebecca J. Hatfield, who was born near Elkhart, Ind .; four children -Viola, Hayden, William H. and Nina.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.