The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men, Part 40

Author: Le Baron, Wm., Jr. & Co., Chicago, Pub
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: Chicago : W. Le Baron, Jr.
Number of Pages: 1092


USA > Illinois > McLean County > The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men > Part 40


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108 | Part 109 | Part 110 | Part 111 | Part 112 | Part 113 | Part 114 | Part 115 | Part 116 | Part 117 | Part 118 | Part 119 | Part 120 | Part 121 | Part 122 | Part 123 | Part 124 | Part 125 | Part 126 | Part 127 | Part 128 | Part 129 | Part 130 | Part 131 | Part 132 | Part 133 | Part 134 | Part 135 | Part 136 | Part 137 | Part 138 | Part 139 | Part 140 | Part 141 | Part 142 | Part 143 | Part 144 | Part 145 | Part 146 | Part 147 | Part 148 | Part 149 | Part 150 | Part 151 | Part 152 | Part 153


The " Alton & Sangamon," or ". Chicago & Mississippi " Railroad, alluded to by Gen. Gridley above, succeeded in getting its charter extended to Bloomington, and very soon our citizens began to hear of the location of the Springfield & Bloomington Railroad. Surveys were made, the line put under contract, and in due course of time


365


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


-October 16, 1853-the cars were running from Springfield to Bloomington. For several months, trains connected with the Illinois Central at the Junction which is now Normal, and passengers from Springfield could reach Chicago via Bloomington and La Salle. At that time, the line which is now the Chicago & Alton, advertised in a Bloomington paper to take passengers to New York in "only sixty hours."


This new road came quietly, compared with the Illinois Central ; the latter had been talked of ever since 1836, and the former was comparatively unknown to the gen- cral public until its contractors were at work all along the line. When it arrived, it almost took the town by surprise. As the road reached Bloomington late in the fall, it was not able to finish its northern end until the following summer ; and the Joliet & Bloom- ington Extension-as it was called-was ready for use during the summer of 1854. The portion nearest Bloomington was built first, and was so far along that an excursion- train ran to Lexington on the 4th of July, 1854. The Joliet & Chicago Railroad had been built previously, and we believe the Chicago & Alton Railroad, from Chicago to East St. Louis, has been built under at least five different charters, each authorizing only a portion of the present line.


When the Illinois Central depot was located at the eastern side of town, the idea of locating the other at or outside of the western edge was advocated by Jesse Fell and others, and though not popular at first, it was soon thought that if the two depots were thus situated, the town would be spread out wide and in the end might be benefited.


By donations of land and assistance in other ways, these gentlemen also secured the building of the railroad machine-shops in 1852 and 1853, which, in the end, have become so highly important to the prosperity of Bloomington, which owes a debt of gratitude to these far-seeing gentlemen. The location of the shops made Bloomington a convenient point for the starting of the Jacksonville branch in 1867, and then the building of this branch made it comparatively easy for Bloomington to obtain the rebuilding of the machine-shops after the fire in 1867, when, but for the fact of the junction here, we should have been compelled to pay much more than $55,000 in com- petition with Chicago, Lincoln, Springfield and Joliet. When the Jacksonville branch was built in 1867, Bloomington was obliged to vote $75,000 in aid, which was given, half by the city and the balance by the township of Bloomington. Nearly three hun- dred votes were cast against this proposition, but the majority in its favor was several hundred, our voters seeing so plainly the advantages of the road that they did not dare risk its loss by an adverse vote. It is almost certain that the line would have run directly north from Delavan to Washington, had Bloomington and the towns interven- ing voted the project down.


It had now become the ambition of Bloomington to be a great railroad center, and it needed no argument to convince the public in 1867, that our interests would be sub- served by building any road that might be projected. The plan for a railroad from Pekin through Bloomington, Le Roy, Urbana and Danville, had been proposed as early as 1836, and at about that time twelve miles were graded east from Pekin. This was a failure, owing to the crash that involved all these enterprises before 1840, and the pro- ject was nearly dormant until 1866, though it was revived in 1854, and again in 1856, a meeting having been held January 24, 1856, at Mackinaw, to aid the matter, and another a little later, on the east end of the line, which was then called the Danville &


366


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


Bloomington Railroad. A charter in aid of the east and west line was obtained Feb- ruary 11, 1857, and during the year, meetings were held at various places between Pekin and Danville. A proposition to grant $100,000 from the proceeds of alternate sections of MeLean County's swamp-land, was voted down in this county November 5, 1857, the vote standing 1,570 opposed and 1,166 in favor. The crisis of 1857, no doubt affected the whole projeet unfavorably, as we find nothing definite was accomplished until after the beginning of 1866. During that year, a meet- ing was held at Urbana, another, a little later, in Bloomington, and others at Le Roy, where, August 27, 1866, an organization was effected, and the work was pushed ahead, though Bloomington did not vote in aid of the plan until the spring of 1867, when, at a special election, a vote was taken on the question of giving $100,000 in township bonds to this line and as much to the La Fayette, Bloomington & Missis- sippi Railroad. Both propositions were carried with less than a dozen votes opposed. There never was any opposition to this road, or to the other. Every one saw plainly the value of both lines; but while it was doubtful which line might be first voted upon, there was a little danger that the jealousy existing between the special friends of each might endanger both. Dr. E. Conkling is entitled to a good deal of credit for assisting this enterprise, aided by such men as Judge McClun, J. W. Fell, A. Gridley and others, who have always favored every railroad. The vote to issue bonds to the amount of $100,000 in aid of the La Fayette, Bloomington & Mississippi Railroad, and an equal amount to the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western, then called the Danville, Urbana, Pekin & Bloomington Railroad, was taken at a special town meeting, June 3, 1867, and resulted in a vote of 904 for and 6 against the former road, and 913 for and 6 against the last-named ronte.


The unanimity of this vote is sufficient proof of the state of public sentiment at that time ; though now we are paying the cost of these improvements, some feel as if they are too expensive. Still, were the vote taken over again to-day, there is no doubt a good majority would favor the same projects that were voted on June 3, 1867.


The La Fayette, Bloomington & Mississippi Railroad, running directly east is a favorite line. It was built between 1869 and 1872, and is the result of the energy and " push " of A. Gridley, A. B. Ives, J. H. Cheney, J. E. McClun, O. T. Reeves, Charles M. Holder, and a few others. These gentlemen labored incessantly to secure the road, and at one time its success was so doubtful that probably had either one of them ceased his efforts, the road would not have been finished. It runs from Bloomington to La Fayette, Ind., where it connects with the La Fayette, Muncie & Bloomington Railroad, and affords the shortest line from Bloomington to Buffalo and Eastern points. Its grades are easy, and it is rarely obstructed by snow. The original company is now dissolved, and the line is operated by a Receiver. Its Treasurer is Mr. J. H. Cheney, of this city, who represents Bloomington's interests in this line, or, rather, is the only official of the road who is a Bloomingtonian.


The Indianapolis & Bloomington road was finished May 1, 1870, and the La Fayette road in 1872; giving our city railroad routes diverging in eight different directions, like the spokes of a wheel from the hub, and enabling our merchants to ship goods at as favorable rates as competing cities. A retrospective story of what has been accomplished since just after the "deep snow " in 1831-the Commissioners located a county seat at " the north end of the Blooming Grove " -- would read like a fable, did we


James MM HBayes BLOOMINGTON


369


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


not have the evidence of men still living who have seen all these wonderful changes as they have occurred from year to year. Blooming Grove-from having been a desolate wilderness in 1821, unknown save to bands of predatory Indians, whose trails crossed each other at this point, has become an educational, a moral and religious, a commercial and a great railroad center. In the natural course of events, more schools and colleges will center here ; more commercial and manufacturing enterprises will have their head- quarters at this city, and other railroads will center here or connect with our present roads in such a manner as to become practically Bloomington roads. During the year 1878, the Chicago & Alton Railroad has built an extension from Mexico, Mo., 162 miles, to Kansas City, which will add immensely to the business of the line, of which Bloomington will reap many solid advantages through its machine-shops, whose capacity will thereby be still further developed.


In the near future, Bloomington may see a railroad running northeast, to intercept the Illinois Central's new line at Chatsworth, a northwestern line to connect Washington and Peoria with Bloomington, and a line to the southeast to connect with the Rantoul narrow-gauge road. Other roads now unprojected will yet center here. May our citizens, in the future as in the past, lend a helping hand to whatever, when well con- sidered by our ablest citizens, promises to advance our best interests.


OUR TELEGRAPHS.


In Angust, 1853, Hon. John D. Caton, the pioneer of the Western Union Tele- graph Lines, came to this city. He told Gen. Gridley that if Bloomington would take $1,000 of stock his company would give our city a telegraph office on the line then building from Chicago to Springfield. It does not appear to have occurred to our citi- zens that the telegraph business of the place would of itself justify the company in keeping an office open, and so they took hold with their usual energy and subscribed the amount. As a part of the history of the telegraph, we give the list of subscribers :


C. P. Merriman, $100; W. H. Allin, $50; A. Gridley, $50; E. M. Wells, $50; H. H. Painter, $50; George Parke, $50; W. F. Flagg, $50; J. W. Ewing, $50; J. W. Underwood & Co., $50; Wakefield & Thompson, $50 ; Baker & Noble, $50 ; Paist & Elder, $50; K. H. Fell, $50; John T. O'Brien, $50 : Graves, Storey & Co., $50; G. B. Harrison and A. C. Washburne, $50; Magoun, Miller & Co., $50; Ives & Curtis, 850; Wickizer, Swett and Mason, $50.


The poles were soon here, the wire was in place, and on the 24th of January, 1854, an office was opened in Bloomington. The files of the Pantagraph show that paper's first message, which was from the Illinois Journal office at Springfield, as follows :


SPRINGFIELD, January 28, 1854.


C. P. MERRIMAN : May the new communication by telegraph, so auspiciously opened, con- tinue for ages. S. FRANCIS.


Matthew L. Steele was the first telegraph operator at the Bloomington office, which was opened, in 1854, in what was known as Major's Block, on Front Street. He was followed in 1866, by Arthur T. MeElhiney, who is the present manager of the Bloom- ington office, thus making a quarter of a century with only two different officials in charge of what is a very important office. The Puntugraph and Coal Company possess a local-line from Bloomington to Normal, to the coal-shaft, and to various points, making nine miles of wire, upon which there are, at least, thirty private instruments and a number of telephones.


370


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


There are important offices at the headquarters of the C. & A. R. R. Company, at its shops in Bloomington, where a large force of operators constantly direct the running of trains, while the other railroads have one or more telegraphers constantly on duty ; so that, in all, twenty operators are employed in this city, on regular salaries, not to men- tion those who use the wire as an incident of their daily business, as is the case with the patrons of the Puntagraph and Coal Company's line, as well as several of the other patrons of the different lines, who have instruments of their own.


NEWSPAPERS.


The Bloomington Observer (weekly) was the first newspaper published in Bloom- ington or in the county, and was established January 14, 1837, by Messrs. James Allin, Jesse W. Fell and A. Gridley, and was edited by William Hill, afterward, for a short time, by Mr. Fell. In 1838, the Observer espoused the side of the Whig party in politics. The name was changed, not long afterward, to the Western Whig, and it was conducted by Charles P. Merriman. In 1852, the name was again changed to the Bloomington Intelligencer, the paper again passing under the management of Mr. Jesse Fell, who sold out in a year or two after, to Mr. Charles P. Merriman, and the sheet was baptized anew as the Pantagraph. The Daily Pantagruph was started June 19, 1854. It was sold, in 1856, by him to William E. Foote, who published it until 1861, E. J. Lewis being the editor. It is now owned and published by William O. Davis.


This paper has become well established, being one of the best known in the West. The peculiarity of its name has attracted much attention, many critics and scholars appearing to confound it with the word " pentagraph," which is thus defined by Web- ster : " Pentagraph, see pantagraph." Under head of " pantagraph," he says, " a math- ematical instrument for copying ; written, also, pantograph, and, less correctly, penta- graph." Mr. Charles P. Merriman, a fine Greek scholar, gives the following as the meaning of the word ; and as his explanation is satisfactory to the best classical stu- dents, we insert it here, in hope it will thus go into permanent history, and set the ques- tion at rest. Mr. Merriman was the originator of the word, as well as the founder of the Pantagraph :


"' Panta' is the neuter accusative plural of the Greek adjunct pas, and 'graph " is from the Greek verb grapho, here used in the imperative mode; the name 'Panta- graph '-write all things- is a perpetual injunction upon its editors to dip their pens fearlessly into all matters of human interest."


Other journals have been established at various times and flourished for a brief period, to give place, in turn, to others ; but none of them have survived any length of time. Among them may be mentioned the Evening Argus, National Flag, afterward the Illinois Statesman, Illinois Central Democrat, Bloomington Times, Anti- Monopolist, Mc Lean County Democrat, Bloomington Republican, Illinois Schoolmaster, the Advance, and others of less repute.


The fire of editorial controversy, it may be assumed, waxed high at times, as we find in an old number of the Intelligencer a brief item, to the effect that an article had appeared in the Flag containing a long array of abusive epithets against the editor of the former sheet, of which " dastardly whelp," " scoundrel," etc., were a great deal the mildest. "This, of course, brought on a personal encounter," continues the " responsible "


371


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


editor. but adds the gratifying fact that "we were separated before either of us received an injury."


The history of the ups and downs of newspaper life received an addition in the sudden demise of the Bloomington Times, which came to an untimely end at the hands of the Ninety-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, a McLean County regiment. The paper had become obnoxious to so many of the citizens, by reason of its Southern proclivitics and expressions of sympathy for the States in rebellion, and the excitement became so great as to lead the soldiers, abetted by prominent citizens, to destroy the office and press, since when the paper has not been revived.


There are now two daily papers, the Morning Pantagraph and the Evening Leader. The Weekly Leader was started by Scibird & Waters, November 15, 1868, and the Daily, February 22, 1870, and is now owned by M. S. Leland, publisher. Beside these, the city can boast several weekly papers-the Democratic News, Sunday Eye and the Banner of Holiness. The Bloomington Journal (German) was founded by F. A. Schmidt ; present proprietor, H. Meyer. It is a paper of much influence, as is also the McLean County Deutsche Presse, of which John Koester is editor and pro- prietor.


THE BLOOMINGTON LIBRARY.


The institution uow known as the Bloomington Library Association is one of the most deserving in the city. It has become endeared to the public by the great work it has accomplished, by its valuable collection of books, and by its promise of future bene- fit to posterity. Its early history is of much interest. The first trace discovered is a well-written communication in the Pantagraph of May 21, 1854, signed G. L. K., urging the formation of a library and reading-room. Bloomington's halcyon days were in 1854. At that time, it boasted 4,000 inhabitants, 12 churches, and seats in them for nearly the total population. Possibly, this was more of a boast than a reality, but as our city has grown, our church accommodations have not kept pace, though in the mat- ter of seat-room in the public schools, we have reversed the situation compared with twenty-five years ago. But we merely wished to remark that those who were at the helm in 1854 to 1858 planned largely for the public good. They built churches, they reformed our public schools, they endowed or founded colleges, and they did not forget the need of a public library. We are reaping the harvest from the good seed then sown, and in no one department were the early laborers more faithful than in that now under consideration. The need of a library, and the condition of public opinion in relation thereto, stimulated the ladies of our city to make an effort, which has resulted in the foundation of our Bloomington Library. Among those particularly worthy of mention are Miss Rebecca A. Rogers, now Mrs. G. W. Parke, and Miss Hannah M. Snow. The ladies obtained quite a number of subscriptions from persons who were willing to assist, and, on the 2d of October, 1856, a public meeting was called at Major's Hall, for the purpose of organizing the " Ladies Library." At this meeting, which was well attended, the ladies reported subscriptions to the amount of $417. A committee was appointed to draft a constitution and by-laws, to report at a future meeting. This com- mittee was Rev. F. N. Ewing, Dr. W. C. Hobbs, David Davis, W. H. Allin and John E. McClun. After one or two preliminary meetings, the permanent organization of the " Ladies' Library Association, of the City of Bloomington," was effected at the First Pres- byterian Church November 13, 1856.


372


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


The ladies alone were eligible to office during the first six or eight years. The first officers were : President, Mrs. S. B. Brown ; Vice President, Miss A. Warriner ; Secretary, Miss Caldwell ; Corresponding Secretary, Miss H. Parsons ; Treasurer, Miss Rebecca A. Rogers ; Librarian, Miss Hannah M. Snow. The first Board of Managers was composed of the following ladies : Mrs. D. Davis, Mrs. F. N. Ewing, Mrs. T. Pardee, Mrs. H. Spencer and Mrs. W. H. Allin.


On the 28th of February, 1857, the Library was opened in a room on Center street. At the next meeting, Judge Davis offered a room on Main street free of rent, which offer was very thankfully accepted. The Library remained in this room for six or seven years, rent free, and, during all this time, it was taken care of and fostered by the ladies with a zeal and enthusiasm that gained it a high position among the worthy institutions of Bloomington. Its growth was gradual but sure. The catalogue from the beginning has always exhibited a large selection of valuable books, and it has been one of the educational institutions of our city.


In the year 1867, it was thought best to organize under an act of the Legislature, which was obtained February 23, 1867. The Library changed its name to the " Bloom- ington Library Association," and gentlemen were made eligible to office, but its main features were unchanged. By the act of incorporation, the Association is able to own real estate, manage an endowment fund, to go onward and forward in the good cause, and take such rank and position as the public or its wealthy members may in the future see fit to award. Probably the time will come when this Association will possess a per- manent building of its own, and an endowment fund which will render it self-sustaining. The first officers under the new organization were elected March 2, 1867. David Davis was President ; E. M. Prince, Vice President ; Sarah D. Robinson, Recording Secretary; W. H. Stennett, Corresponding Secretary, and W. M. Hatch, Treasurer. The Board of Managers were composed of ladies and gentlemen as follows: Mrs. Maria Everly, B. F. Hoopes, I. J. Bloomfield and Mrs. J. A. Jackman. The Trustees were John Magoun, George W. Parke and John M. Scott.


The Library has always been one of Bloomington's favorite institutions, and it has now become very valuable.


The last report of the Librarian, presented at the annual meeting on the 1st day of March, 1879, shows that there are in the Library 7,464 volumes. During the year, books were used equal to taking out 26,000 different volumes. The Reading-room has been well patronized, giving the public access to about 150 periodicals. This evidences the great value of the Library and Reading-room, and its managers should go forward in the good work, trusting to the future for further additions and the permanent endow- ment so earnestly desired. The present officers are: Dr. C. R. Parke, President ; Dr. H. Conkling, Vice President ; B. F. Hoopes, Treasurer; Charles L. Capen, Corre- sponding Secretary ; Lewis E. Ijams, Recording Secretary ; Mrs. H. R. Galliner, Librarian. The Board of Managers consists of MIrs. Charles Shackleford, Miss Sarah E. Raymond, Messrs. Peter Folsom, S. R. Brodix and J. H. Burnham.


WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY.


In the year 1850, a number of the leading citizens of Bloomington began to agitate the question of founding a university complete in all its departments. Illinois was plainly growing in importance and no portion advancing more rapidly in all the


373


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


elements of strength, nor developing more steadily its material resources, than the central part of the State ; hence the citizens of this city were anxious and determined that here, educational advantages should be of the first order. To accomplish this end, the first Board of Trustees effected an organization under the general laws of the State on the 2d of December, A. D. 1850.


It was decided that the University should be placed under the management of the Methodist Church. This was not done for the purpose of making it a sectarian institu- tion, since science can never be rendered sectarian, but it was felt that the University should be placed in careful hands and under good management, and since the Methodist Church was then, as now, noted for its earnestness in the advancement of all the interests of education as well as for careful management and influence, to its care the


.


BAKER. Co CHICAGA


WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY.


new University was confided. It was intended that its influence should be of a Christian character, but that students of all denominations should find a home within its halls. This idea has been faithfully carried out. In the winter of 1850 and 1851, the school was organized under the superintendeney of Rev. R. Andrus, A. M., in the basement of the Methodist Church.


Immediate measures were taken for the erection of a suitable building, which, after many discouragements, was completed and school opened in it in 1857. In July, 1851, at the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees, Rev. John Dempster, D.D., of Concord, N. H., was elected President. The first Annual Commencement was held on the 7th of July, 1853, and the first class graduated.


374


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


Rev. John Dempster having removed to Evanston, Rev. C. W. Sears, a former professor in the institution, was chosen President and a part of the new building occu- pied; but, shortly afterward, owing to the uncertain condition of State finances and the stringency of the times, the institution was for a time closed. Its friends, however, did not despair, and, after securing the services of Rev. Charles W. C. Munsell as financial agent, at once set about raising the necessary funds to complete the building, liquidate the debt and re-open the school.


The institution was re-opened by the Trustees, who elected Rev. O. S. Munsell, A. M., as President. In the year 1866, the Methodist Church in America celebrated its first centennial anniversary, and including the amount of $10,000 given by the family of Isaac Funk as the first installment for the endowment of the Isaac Funk Professorship of Agriculture, the friends of the University subscribed over $70,000 for endowment. The steady increase of students now made a second building necessary, and the Trustees proceeded at once to obtain subscriptions and erect an appropriate building, and, as a result of these laborĀ», a fine building was erected, which is capable of accommodating 500 students.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.