USA > Illinois > McLean County > The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men > Part 72
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108 | Part 109 | Part 110 | Part 111 | Part 112 | Part 113 | Part 114 | Part 115 | Part 116 | Part 117 | Part 118 | Part 119 | Part 120 | Part 121 | Part 122 | Part 123 | Part 124 | Part 125 | Part 126 | Part 127 | Part 128 | Part 129 | Part 130 | Part 131 | Part 132 | Part 133 | Part 134 | Part 135 | Part 136 | Part 137 | Part 138 | Part 139 | Part 140 | Part 141 | Part 142 | Part 143 | Part 144 | Part 145 | Part 146 | Part 147 | Part 148 | Part 149 | Part 150 | Part 151 | Part 152 | Part 153
MR. SPEAKER: There may be other members upon this floor, whose more intimate and peculiar relations to the deceased better fit them to pay a just tribute to his memory than myself. But his immediate neighborhood to my district, and the endearing ties which I have reason to know existed for many years between him and a large portion of the good people I have the honor to represent, make it at least proper that I should pay an humble but affection- ate tribute to the memory of the departed.
Long before it had ever occurred to me to meet Senator Funk personally, I had, by hear- ing those who knew him in early times relate so many little incidents and reminiscences of him, which go to make up the sum of a great life, become almost familiar with his character. He
624
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
was one of the pioneers of Illinois ; and it is not singular that a character so marked and pos- itive as his should leave its lasting impress upon those around him and upon the destinies of his State. He knew Illinois in its infancy. He was familiar with it when the old stage-coach was the most rapid means of communication with its distant borders. But he lived to see the infant. State of his adoption grow to be a giant, embracing within his parental arms two millions of children, from all countries and climes. He lived to see the old stage-coach give place to the iron horse, majestically coursing through his own broad acres, carrying the blessings of com- merce wherever civilization is known. All this he was blest to behold ; and in all this develop- ment he had borne a part. Ages may roll away, and the name of him who was but yesterday habited for the grave, and confined to its narrow portals, may be forgotten, as all names must be : yet the influence of his character and life upon the destinies of Illinois will be felt to the remotest day. Whoever does not know that Senator Funk deserves to be classed among the great men of his time, does, in my judgment, but poorly comprehend the true elements of character. Probably the most wealthy man in the United States, save one, who was exclusively devoted to agriculture, he was a representative man of his class. Nor was he distinguished for wealth alone. Ifis patriotic utterances in the hour of his country's darkest gloom, will long be remem- bered and cherished by a grateful people. His fame was not bounded by State lines, nor indeed by county. Many across the broad Atlantic will read and lament that the Christian, patriot and agricultural king is dead. True, he had none of the embellishments of learning or art, which so well adorn true greatness, and which, too, are so often mistaken for it. But in coni- mon sense-which really is most uncommon-in penetrating sagacity, in fidelity to right, and, above all, in genuine kindness of heart, few were his equals. It is only a few days since a pub- lic measure came up in this House about the propriety of which there was some doubt, and he opposed it. Few, perhaps, have sought the reason why he did so. " Because," he said, "it would be doing for himself what he did not do for his hired man." Ah! here is the rule of justice and judgment which obtains at the tribunal where he has gone, and where we must go- " Do unto others as ye would that they should do to you," for with what measure ye mete. it shall be measured to you again. The last time I ever saw Senator Funk, he came into this House to consult with his esteemed colleague at my side, and to ask me to join a portion of my district with his county, in restraining some evil practice of gaming. Little did we then think that these halls would no more echo the sound of his voice. So inscrutable are the ways of God to man. It was then very perceptible that his health was much disturbed. In reply to a ques- tion, he said he was far from well. Even then, the grim monster was struggling for his prey. But the proper limits for these few remarks will not allow of any special detail. I would gladly linger over his memory and his virtues.
Illinois will wait long for the coming of another such as he. But I am glad to believe that the enemy did not find him as one wholly disarmed. He marched out of his strong fortress unseen by mortal eye, with the calm dignity so peculiar to his nature, and surrendered up to the King of Terrors. He had, I doubt not, long since learned that
" Who builds on less than immortal base, Destines all his joys to death."
But how instructive this lesson to us. Neither wealth, nor place, nor power could save him from the grave ; for if wealth could beguile death, then he had no need to die.
How unspeakably sad, and yet more beautiful than any creation of romance, was that other death so closely connected with his. The golden cord that binds one heart to another in the world is seldom so strong that it will not bear to be broken. But in this instance, that cord had grown to be life itself. Scarcely had he entered the valley of the shadow of death before she who had been the loved companion of more than forty years of joy and sorrow, without any apparent disease, left all, and followed in swift pursuit. Nearly half a century ago, they started out on life's journey, hand in hand, and now, at the end, they peacefully lie down together and draw the drapery of death around them. Erelong they will rise triumphantly, to hail Him Who has conquered death, and the brightness of Whose coming will dispel the gloom of the grave.
625
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
Mr. Funk left no will, but a well-understood wish was carried out in all its details by the heirs. No administration was entered into, but all of the children, nine in number, met and divided the vast estate in a perfectly amicable manner, without even the advice of any outside party. Just before his death, Mr. Funk had erected a very fine family mansion on the site of his old house. This, in the apportionment, was set apart to the youngest son, who bears the father's name. A biography of other mem- bers of the family will be found in another part of the work.
Of the five brothers who came out in 1823, 1824 and 1825, only Robert survives. There were originally nine children, six boys and three girls. None of the other members of the family prospered as did Isaac. Absalom, who died in 1840, had prospects almost equally bright ; but his comparatively early death came before the most prosperous times of this section were fully realized.
It is said of John Funk, who came out in 1825, that he was utterly oblivious to lands, cattle or money, except just enough of the last-named to have a good time. He was always sure of a living from his two brothers, " Ab. and Ike." At the stores, it was knowu that John never had anything to pay with, though he would buy with the same confidence as would his two well-to-do brothers. At the end of stated periods, Isaae and Absalom would call for their bills, and as regularly would the merchants pre- sent John's accounts, which Isaac and Absalom good-naturedly liquidated. John never made any inquiry about his bills with a view to settlement, but it is supposed he fully expected to pay them himself. The Funks, Stubblefields and Broek, as before inti- mated, claimed the most of the land adjacent to the timber, and when it came into market, entered the same. The township, therefore, did not settle as rapidly as some others, because there was no more timber-land, and the value of the prairie was not appreciated until a later day. However, when the Illinois Central Railroad was char- tered, one-half of the vacant land was given to that company as a consideration for the building of the road. The balance of the unoccupied land was at once raised to $2.50 per aere, at which price it was soon bought. The Chicago & Alton Railroad, completed through this section in 1852, further increased the value of lands, and thus hastened their sale, so that, by about 1856, all of the township of Funk's Grove had been entered. The building of these roads was the real basis for the prosperity of this sec- tion. Prior to this, the markets for the products of the farm were Chicago and Peoria, and supplies had to be hauled long distances by wagon. The roads have brought mar- kets almost to the very doors of the producers, and goods are as cheap as in the large cities.
MILLS.
The timber of this township is very fine. Unlike most timber along the little creeks, which is usually of a small, stunted growth of oak and basswood, the timber along Sugar Creek at this point, is of a heavy growth of walnut, maple and oak. A saw-mill was built here at an early date, for the manufacture of the trees into lumber. The large farming and stock-raising operations carried on by Isaac Funk, required a large amount of lumber for fences, sheds, ete.
The mill was put up by Isaac Funk mainly for his own use. Later, Col. J. Straight, of Indianapolis, bought of the Funk family 1,200 walnut trees, and brought to the station a mill for the manufacturing of them into lumber. An amount exceeding 2,000 cars has been sawed and sent to New York, where there is a large demand for the product for
626
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
making furniture. The beautiful forest is rapidly passing away, and, in a short time, the best part will thus have been consumed.
Before the building of the railroads through this country, there were two special inducements for building distilleries. There was a large surplus of corn which it was difficult to market, and the consumers of the product of the still were plentier than at present. It was not counted a disgrace to patronize the tavern, which was then the dram-shop; and a small distillery in the midst of a farming community was accounted a good thing for those who brought there their grain for sale, and took back a jug or a barrel of the product. To accommodate those who might wish to patronize such an institution in either way, Robert Funk built a small distillery on Section 17, in about 1840. We are bound to say, however, that the distillery was not a great success. In a few years it was allowed to run down, and the copper stills were sold as old copper. To the credit of the old-time distillers, it is said they made a better article than is man- ufactured by the more pretentious establishments of the present day.
EDUCATIONAL.
The first schoolhouse built in this township was a small log affair, erected on the site of the Methodist Church, west of Funk Grove Station. It was built upon the mutnal assistance plan, the neighbors meeting at an appointed time, bringing their axes, saws and such other implements as they happened to possess. This was about 1827, and the Funks and Stubblefields, of this township, and several persons at the west end of the grove, in Mount Hope Township, were concerned in its erection. It is described as being about twenty feet square, covered with clapboards held in place by weight-poles ; as having a clapboard door hung on wooden hinges; puncheon floor and puncheon seats. and with desks made by boring auger-holes into the wall, inserting wooden pins therein, and laying on the pins boards hewed from walnut logs. The warming apparatus was a huge fireplace extending one-half of the whole length of one side of the house, into which could be rolled logs requiring the strength of two of the largest boys to carry. The arrangements, however, were the crowning invention of that time. On two sides of the house, the halves of two contiguous logs of the wall were cut out the whole length of the building. Across these openiugs, at short intervals, were placed small sticks, upon which paper greased with hog's lard was pasted. This made a translucent window, admitting the rays of light, and, at the same time preventing the children from looking out, and obviating the necessity of blinds. Nothing in modern use, except real stained glass, compares in utility with the windows of this schoolhouse. The fastening to the door, too, was ingenious, and deserves description. The latch was a wooden bar, similar to those now in use on gates or barn-doors, and was placed on the inside of the door. To enable one on the outside of the door to raise the latch, an auger-hole was bored through a few inches above the latch, and through this a leather thong was drawn, and tied to the latch inside. Doubtless this invention gave rise to the saying, " the latch- string is out," as it was used on the doors of most of the cabins at that date.
In this temple of learning, Andrew Biggs and Andrew McMillan taught some of the first schools. One of these taught the first, but we are unable to settle the honor more definitely on either. A little reading, writing and ciphering constituted the full course of study at the Funk's Grove Academy. Jonathan Dow was one of the pioneer teachers at this school, and, from some of his peculiarities, must have been related to
627
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
Lorenzo, of evangelist fame. It was the custom in those times for the teacher to " board round," but Dow preferred to board himself at the schoolhouse. He lived entirely on vegetable diet, nearly all of which consisted of apples, potatoes and corn- cakes, which he had stored in large quantities beneath the floor of the school-room. It was the custom then at Christmas to demand of the teacher a treat, and in the event of any hesitation on the part of the master, he was barred out of the house. The boys, however, never found Dow outside, as he boarded there, and, when Christmas eame that winter, the master assumed to have the advantage of the boys, and declined to stand the apples and cider demanded. But the boys were not to be baffled so easily, and with a preconcerted action seized upon the teacher and dragged him, squirming and kicking, from the house. Rushing inside, they closed the door, and another parley ensued, without the effect, however, of bringing the obstinate Dow to terms. At last, after a short council of war had been held by the boys, they opened the door and allowed the master to enter. He thought then he had won the day, but the movement of the boys was only a little strategy to again get him in their hands. He was accord- ingly again grabbed and carried to the creek which ran elose by. The ice was cut, and they were about to immerse him in the chilly flood, when he gave up and promised to treat. Then were disclosed the stores of apples, cider, potatoes and hominy beneath the puncheon floor. All helped themselves to the viands ; a good time was had ; the parents praised their boys' pluck in whipping out the master; and then the school pro- ceeded as before.
A few years later, a schoolhouse was erected in the southeastern part of the town- ship, in the Kiekapoo Creek settlement, and owing to the large traets of land held by the families heretofore named, and the sparsely-settled condition of the township, no other schools were organized for more than twenty years, though the old buildings, with the puncheon floors, seats and desks, long before that time, gave way to better houses. As indicating the progress made in this township, in 1858, there were reported two schools, with fifty-two pupils ; in 1868, five schools, with two hundred and eighty pupils ; and at this time again ten years later, six schools, with about three hundred scholars. In 1858, the total expenditure for sustaining schools was a little less than three hundred dollars, while in 1878, it was nearly as many thousands.
RELIGION.
Were we to judge this township by the number of church spires, we should say that there is but little of the article here, as the large township contains but one church. However, the people here are not without all of the church privileges requisite to a high standard of Christianity. The church mentioned is near the center of the town- ship, and this furnishes accommodations for all in its vicinity; while churches at MeLean, Waynesville, Shirley and Heyworth count among their strongest supporters citizens of this township. The Methodist Church of Funk's Grove was organized at a very early day. The little log schoolhouse mentioned above was built for religious as well as edu- cational purposes, and here, at about the same time, the church was established by Adam Funk, Robert Funk, Robert Stubblefield, John Stubblefield, Mrs. Brock and a few other women. It may be said that the church at the time was a family affair, as the parties were nearly all related, the two Stubblefields named having married sisters of Robert Funk. The society worshipped in the little log schoolhouse and its successors
628
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
until 1866, when the present comfortable house of worship was erected. It is a good frame building, 36x50 feet in size,'and cost $3,500. The country in the vicinity of the church is sparsely settled, there being so many large farms; and the number of mem- bers does not, at present, exceed thirty. Sunday school is sustained during the summer, but during winter it is suspended. Rev. Mr. Shinn is the present Pastor.
DESCRIPTION.
Funk's Grove Township is bounded on the west, north and east, respectively, by Mount Hope, Dale and Randolph Townships ; and on the south by DeWitt County. This township consists of all of Congressional Town 22, Range 1 east, and the north third of Town 21, in same range. It is one of the best watered townships in the county, seeming to be the natural home for stock of various kinds common to this eli- mate. Indeed, this has long been a notorious stock region. The Kickapoo and branches of Sugar Creek flow from the northeast to the southwest. The land is of a first-class quality, well adapted to the raising of corn, rye, oats, wheat and vegetables of various kinds. The Chicago & Alton Railroad, built in 1852, passes through the north- western corner, affording at the station and at MeLean an outlet for the vast products of this section. A switch is the only improvement at the station, and was located at the request of Isaac Funk, and for the accommodation of his estate.
OLD TOWN TOWNSHIP.
There is not a railroad coming into Bloomington, which carries its passengers through a prettier country-a country more attractive to the eye, and one which would attract the attention of strangers more quickly-than does the La Fayette, Bloomington & Mississippi Railroad as it passes through Old Town Township. As one travels over this road, he gets a very fair view of almost the entire township. This road extends east and west through the center of the third tier of sections from the north. The rolling prairies stretch far away to the north, while on the south may be seen, extending the entire length of the township, the irregular edge of the Old Town Timber.
This township derived its name from the belt of timber which erosses its southern border. This grove is some eighteen miles long, and two to three miles wide. It fol- lows no water-course, but passes directly east and west, without regard to the "lay of the land." It derived its name from the old Indian town on its northern border. Old Town is an exact Congressional township, and lies just south of the center of McLean County. It is designated Town 23 north, Range 3 east of the Third Principal Merid- ian. It is bounded on the north by Towanda Township, on the east by Padua, on the south by Downs, and on the west by Bloomington Township. It is crossed by the head- waters of Kickapoo Creek. The little stream enters from Padua, at the southeast cor- ner of Section 13. It flows west to the northeast corner of Section 22, and thence south to near the southwest corner of Section 33. All the northern part of the town- ship is prairie, with the exception of Island Grove, a little patch of timber near the cen- ter. The prairies are rolling, and are covered by fine farms and elegant residences. The soil is good, and yields largely of either corn or oats. Corn is the principal product. Oats come next. Potatoes and grass do well. A large portion of the corn is shipped,
629
HISTORY OF McLEAN COUNTY.
but not all. A considerable amount of hogs and cattle are shipped. Very little wheat is produced. Beside the La Fayette, Bloomington & Mississippi Railroad already men- tioned, Old Town is crossed by another. The Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western Railway. This road crosses the southwest corner of the township, entering from the southeast, near the southeast corner of Section 32, and leaving near the southwest corner of Section 30. There are two flag-stations in the township-Holder, on the east side, . on the L., B. & M. R. R., and Gillum, in the southwest, on the I., B. & W.
EARLY SETTLEMENT.
When emigrants began to come into McLean County, it was not long before every grove had its cluster of pale-faces. Not only do we find that every cluster of trees brought early settlers, but larger belts were soon surrounded. The first settlement of Old Town Timber was begun farther east than the present limits of the township of the same name. But it was not long until a settlement was made on Kickapoo Creek. In the spring of 1826, William Evans built the first cabin ever erected in Old Town. He came from the settlement at Blooming Grove. He went to work, and, by the spring of 1827, he had enough prairie broken to permit of quite a crop. But all his hopes were destined to be overthrown. In September, 1827, there came a hurricane which demol- ished his crops, swept away his fences and destroyed his dwelling. After so severe a disaster, he was too much disheartened to rebuild his scattered improvements, so he moved to Blooming Grove. It will thus be seen that the first attempt to establish a dwelling in this populous and beautiful township, was a failure. The elements were against it, and who could prevail ? The same hurricane that dealt such a heavy blow to Mr. Evans, destroyed much of the Old Town timber. Where it passed through, the forest was leveled to the ground. There still may be seen a few trunks of the large trees that were uprooted by the gale. The present growth of timber has sprung up since the storm.
The next man to arrive at Kickapoo Creek, in this township, was, probably, Will- iam Maxwell. He came from North Carolina about 1829, or, possibly, as late as 1831. He lived on Kickapoo Creek until his death, which occurred in 1837. He had three sons. They all moved away to Iowa. One daughter now lives in Le Roy. Her hus- band's name is Henry Dickerson. John Bishop came in 1830. He is now living in Bloomington. In 1833, William Bishop arrived. His wife, the mother of Dr. Bishop, in Bloomington, is still living. At about this time, John Hendryx came. He is not the man who first settled in Blooming Grove, but quite another person, and is no relation. He had several children, the most prominent of whom is Mrs. Lewis Case. On the 26th of July, 1833, Lewis Case and family moved into the little settlement begun on the Kickapoo. Mr. and Mrs. Case are now the oldest settlers living in the township, though there are others living in different parts of the county who lived in Old Town before they did. The Cases came from Seneca, N. Y. Mr. Case was born in 1809, and Mrs. Case in 1810. They have four daughters now living, but none reside in the township. When Lewis Case came, he found Isaac Haner here. Teams were searce in those days, and even a good pair of oxen were not always to be had, so Mr. Haner had yoked his cows, and with those prepared the soil for the seed. In the fall of 1833, Archibald Martin arrived. He afterward moved over into Padua Town- ship, and died there. In the fall of the same year, Abner Case and family came. Abner
630
HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.
Case was the father of Lewis, and moved into his house when he first arrived. Mrs. Case loves to tell the story of their winter's residence in the cabin. Lewis Case and family, the family of Abner Case, of Charles Lewis and of Thaddeus Case all lived within the narrow limits of one small cabin. This cabin had but one room, and that was not more than fourteen feet square. A log house was the best kind for this sort of crowding. The logs were bored into and pins driven in, which supported one side of the bedstead. One leg was all that this primitive style of bedstead required, the places of the others being taken by two sides of the wall. The trundle-bed then did its best service, for it was not possible to find sleeping-room for thirteen persons within a space fourteen feet square, and this partly occupied by household goods, without the double- layer system so easily introduced by a trundle-bed. Trunks and boxes of all kinds had to be perched on wooden pins in the wall. And yet those were days in which the fabric of life was fraught with as much joy as are the more recent times, with all the luxuries of a more advanced civilization. How many of the poorest in our midst would dare to brave the hardships of pioneer life ? But the necessity of such trying circum- stances is now past. Even the frontier settlements in the Far West are not compelled to endure the trials and privations that were once common in this country.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.