The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men, Part 42

Author: Le Baron, Wm., Jr. & Co., Chicago, Pub
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: Chicago : W. Le Baron, Jr.
Number of Pages: 1092


USA > Illinois > McLean County > The History of McLean County, Illinois; portraits of early settlers and prominent men > Part 42


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108 | Part 109 | Part 110 | Part 111 | Part 112 | Part 113 | Part 114 | Part 115 | Part 116 | Part 117 | Part 118 | Part 119 | Part 120 | Part 121 | Part 122 | Part 123 | Part 124 | Part 125 | Part 126 | Part 127 | Part 128 | Part 129 | Part 130 | Part 131 | Part 132 | Part 133 | Part 134 | Part 135 | Part 136 | Part 137 | Part 138 | Part 139 | Part 140 | Part 141 | Part 142 | Part 143 | Part 144 | Part 145 | Part 146 | Part 147 | Part 148 | Part 149 | Part 150 | Part 151 | Part 152 | Part 153


Our Club has increased so that it is one of the largest in the world. Its member- ship is now 5,460. The President is Joseph O. Pullen ; First Vice President, M. MeIntire ; Second Vice President, J. H. Sprague ; Treasurer, G. H. Read ; Secretary, B. W. Mason. Its Trustees are William W. Ives, Henry M. Waite, Arthur J. Means and N. N. Winslow. Its Chaplain is R. A. Curtis. Its first President was Dr. George S. Smith ; Vice President, Mrs. C. H. Waite; William Munger, Secretary ; Mrs. Hattie Allin, Assistant Secretary ; John Magoun, Treasurer. Mr. Magoun gave the organization of this Club his hearty co-operation and assistance; and, but for his aid, it might not have become established. The Woman's Christian Temperance Union are entitled to much of the credit for the inauguration of this movement, over which they have kept a watchful care ever since its organization.


In all the years that have passed since the organization of the McLean County Temperance Society at the little log schoolhouse in 1832, the cause of temperance has passed through most wonderful changes. Whenever a particular form of organization has lost its charm; when the novelty has left it, we find the movement has taken another shape, and the great cause has on the whole gone forward and upward better than ever before. This historical record should be an incentive to all who are now engaged in the work. From it they can see their way clear to labor unceasingly in the good cause-confident of final success.


NURSERIES.


As early as 1848, fruit trees were sold in Bloomington by Robert Fell, and about the same time by Nelson Buck. There may have been something done before this on a small scale, but it was not until after this that Bloomington became widely advertised as a tree-growing point. Dr. Schroder was perhaps the first to make his busines known to the outside world, more particularly in the line of grapes, which were not cultivated in this neighborhood with much success, until he made the public aware that the climate would admit of the production of the grape. Dr. Schroder was one of the


383


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


earliest to advertise Bloomington as a nursery town, and his circulars, advertisements articles in newspapers, and his enthusiasm at horticultural and pomological conventions contributed largely to make known the fact that Bloomington was the center of the business. He deserves to be classed among the foremost in this branch of Blooming- ton's development.


In the year 1854, Mr. F. K. Phoenix, then from Delavan, Wis., made a beginning of the famous nurseries that have so long been a credit to his energy and an advertise- ment to Bloomington. He saw that the completion of the two new railroads then building would give Bloomington shipping facilities that rendered it an important point for the business. He embarked his means and carried on his transactions on a gigantic scale. At times he employed over two hundred men ; and during the height of his- business, from 1866 to 1870, his sales were immense. He had as many as six hundred acres under cultivation, and engaged in the sale of nursery stock, both at wholesale and retail, including seeds, plants, trees, and everything that could be desired in this line of business. Other nurseries were owned here by different parties, amounting, in the aggregate, to almost as much more, and Bloomington became known all over the United States as the "Rochester of the West." Probably no one single business has carried the name of Bloomington to as many homes, as did that of Mr. Phoenix, advertised in nearly all the publications of the land.


Orders were received here from all the countries where the English language is- spoken, and often from other parts of the world. It was a heavy loss to Bloomington and Normal, and a source of publie regret, when this business began to fall off in 1873 to 1879, and it is feared we shall never see it as flourishing again. The rapid increase- of nurseries in Iowa, Kansas and Missouri, explains the changed state of affairs. The Phoenix nurseries, Dr. H. Schroder's, F. A. Baller's, J. D. Robinson's, and several others are still engaged in the business, which is even yet one of considerable importance. What has been stated in relation to the Phoenix nurseries, applies to Normal Township, as they are in that town; but from having been called the Bloomington nurseries so long, it seemed best to speak of them in the history of the latter corporation.


COAL.


The first blacksmith's coal used in Bloomington was teamed from Danville, Peoria, or some distant point. No one dreamed of finding coal under our soil until scientific geologists conceived the idea from their knowledge of the formation of the crust of the earth, taken in connection with what science taught from the appearance of the coal- bearing strata, at places where coal was mined on the surface, as at Danville and places along the Illinois River. For a long time, science made but little headway in convin- cing our citizens where to look for coal, and train-loads of the article arrived from Duquoin from Peoria and La Salle. Lecturers on geology, among whom was Prof. C. Wilber, for many years in charge of the museum at the Normal University, continued to teach the public, and the newspapers aiding them, it was finally decided to bore for coal. The first attempt was made in 1863, in a field west of the Chicago & Alton Railroad shops, where dwelling-houses have since been constructed. The City Council spent $2,000, and quite a sum was raised by private subscription, all under the superin- tendence of Eliel Barber. The men who did the boring could run a machine of that sort, but could not tell what their auger passed through. After going down over five-


384


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


hundred feet, the most they could report was having passed through a black shale slate, and in which it could not be possible coal existed. The trouble seemed to be that their auger mixed the coal, sand, clay and other material most inextricably, and there was no such thing as ascertaining what was discovered. Of course our citizens were dis- couraged by the result, and coal was still imported at enormous figures. There were many of our people who were firmly of the opinion that coal would be found by boring with suitable tools, and another effort was made in 1866, this time entirely by private subscription. The following is a copy of the subscription paper :


BLOOMINGTON, Ill., May 28, 1866.


We, the undersigned, agree to pay on demand, to John Magonn and C. W. Holder, or order, the sums set opposite our respective names, for the purpose of prospecting and boring for coal in or near the city of Bloomington, said work to be commenced within ninety days from this date. The amount so collected and paid to John Magoun and C. W. Holder to be by them dis- bnrsed for the securing of the above object. If eoal is found in paying quantities, the company formed for mining purposes shall re-imburse the subscribers by giving them stock, money, or coal as they elect. If coal is not found in paying quantities, the money shall be lost by the respective subscribers.


There were many other subscribers who gave money, amounting to $1,700, of which about $1,200 was paid. Boring was commenced at once, near the present city well.


November 15, 1866, when at the depth of 160 feet, the drill was lost, all attempts to recover it having proved fruitless ; and it is an historical fact that the auger still remains in that " bore." The money was expended ; the tools lost; the publie gener- ally took a very desponding view of the situation ; coal continued to be shipped into Bloomington at the rate of 20,000 tons per year, and the coal-mine owners at points then supplying Bloomington were in great spirits.


But a few energetic young men, whose names deserve to be written among the benefactors of our city, who had been watching the operations with careful attention, conceived the idea that, with proper eare on the part of those who managed the auger, after the experience gained in the two former attempts, success would be almost certain, and they boldly undertook the third trial, in the face of an almost despairing publie senti- ment, asking no aid from any and using their own money. Their operations were con- dueted with great care, at an expense of $1,300, and the result was that eoal of a good quality was discovered, at a depth of 302 feet, on the 27th day of February, 1867. These gentlemen were Thomas J. Bunn, Judson L. Spaulding, Dr. H. C. Luce and James L. Ridelhuber.


History compels us to add that they never made any money out of the North Shaft Coal Company, which they organized in June, 1867-another reason why their names should be held in grateful remembrance.


Before this coal company had been long in existence, a second was formed, in 1867, and a shaft put down near the crossing of the Chicago & Alton and the I., B. & W. R. R., where the MeLean County Coal Company is in successful operation. Their shaft is now 540 feet in depth, and they employ 200 men. During the past winter, this company has furnished coal of a good quality, at the shaft, at the wonderfully low price of $1.50 per ton. This company is an immense advantage to Bloomington and to all the surrounding country, and should be encouraged in every possible manner. It is one of our most worthy enterprises, being, in fact, the employer of a larger number of men


Thomas F Dikten BLOOMINGTON


387


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


than any company in the place, except one, to say nothing of the great advantages it gives in keeping the price of coal down to such remarkably low figures.


Could our first settlers have imagined the day would ever come when coal would be mined under their feet, and sold at such prices, they would have had vastly more faith in the future of this rich country, of which the worst that could. then be said was that it contained little fuel, and that on that account it would sustain but a small popu- lation. This company raises as much as five hundred tons in twenty-four hours, on extra occasions, though its average daily out-put is about two hundred tons. During the year, its sales amount to over sixty thousand tons, and its pay-rolls in the winter sea- son often exceed $10,000 per month.


WATER.


For many years after the settlement of Bloomington, no one supposed the town could ever obtain a supply of water for public purposes. Rival cities with a visible supply of muddy river-water, have delighted in taunting Bloomington with its con- dition in this respect. Various were the expedients devised and talked of for obtaining a supply of water sufficient to meet the public demand. One engineer, eminent in his profession, with a national reputation, proposed the most feasible scheme that was devised, which was nothing less than a pipe all the way from the Mackinaw River to the high ground north of Normal, where a reservoir could be made that would force the water all over the city of Bloomington. Another project was to "impound" the water of the low ground northeast of the city, by building a dam and thus retaining the sur- face water in a pond that might answer all purposes, similar to the Jacksonville plan. This would, of course, render the neighborhood of the pond unhealthy ; would be very expensive and would not insure good drinking-water. The dry year of 1854 caused great distress for water in this part of the State, and Bloomington people were very much exercised with fears that the location and building of their rapidly-grow- ing city might after all, have been a serious mistake. We find that a publie meeting was called July 23, 1854, when Mr. J. W. Fell offered the following resolutions, which were unanimously adopted after a discussion, in which the mover, Judge Davis, Dr. Freese and others, participated.


Resolved, That a committee of five be appointed, whose duty it shall be-having previously associated with them one or more persons of practical skill in hydraulics and civil engineering -to institute an examination on the following propositions, to wit: Ist. The practicability of obtaining at Sugar Creek, or at any other point or points, in or near the city, an adequate sup- ply of pure water at all seasons of the year, and for all wants of the community. 2d. The best method of elevating the same (should a supply be deemed advisable) to a reservoir of sufficient capacity to be located on the public square, or at some other suitable point in the central part of the city, whence it may be drawn off to meet the wants of the community. 3d. The proba- ble expense attending the execution of such a system of hydraulics ; and lastly, the best mothod of defraying the expenses incident to such an undertaking; and the probable length of time for its accomplishment.


Resolved, That in the execution of the duties intrusted to said committee, they be author- ized to make whatever surveys and examinations may be necessary ; and that the Mayor and City Council be respectfully requested to co-operate with them and provide the necessary means to defray the expense attending the same.


Resolved, That said committee be requested to proceed with all practicable dispatch in the execution of the aforesaid duties ; and that they report the result of their examinations to the


L


388


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


City Council or to a public meeting hereafter to be called by them, or both, as they in their dis- cretion may deem most expedient.


Resolved, That we recommend our City Council to build six or more cisterns at suitable points in Bloomington, to hold 200 or 250 barrels each : provided, the city does not adopt the hydraulic system of obtaining water.


The Chair appointed the following persons as committee : Jesse W. Fell, J. W. Ewing, F. K. Phoenix, James Allin, Sr., and William Wallace.


It will thus be seen that the question of proper water supply has long been before the public. In the twenty years intervening between this public meeting and the final solution of the problem, a great variety of projects have been discussed.


It appears that in digging the coal-shaft which was first sunk, the one northwest of the city, a vein of water was encountered of great volume-so powerful that the first attempt was abandoned-and a success only made after moving a few rods and procuring very heavy pumping machinery. This discovery led the Chicago & Alton Railroad Com- pany, in 1869, to dig in the vicinity a well which struck the same vein, and proved suf- ficient to supply the immense amount of water needed for that large corporation. From this time the attention of our citizens generally was turned to that point, and public opinion finally settled on the advisability of attempting to obtain the city supply by digging a well, and experimenting still further with that wonderful underground reservoir.


In the summer and fall of 1874, at the end of a series of four very dry seasons, the City Council made the attempt. It proved remarkably successful. The water, found at a depth of only forty feet, was sufficient to keep three powerful engines busy, whose united efforts threw a solid six-inch stream, which removed the water as fast as it flowed into the well. On Christmas Day, 1874, the whole population that wished, examined the fountain-the well having been finished the day before. As a sample of what had been discovered, the engines were kept at work, throwing the water in a stream which, as it flowed off, was equal to a good-sized brook. There was but one opinion, and that was that the fountain was large enough to justify the erection of a system of water works; and in the summer of 1875, the stand-pipe was erected, 200 feet high, an engine and pump placed in position at the well, two miles and a half of pipe laid in the streets, and a full sytem of water works inaugurated, which has since been enlarged by additional pipes and more machinery. The total cost of the whole, up to April 30, 1878, has been $86,944.83. This includes about eight miles of water-mains, the engines and machinery, the stand-pipe, four drinking-fountains, seventy hydrants and everything connected with the Water Department.


The water is of a medicinal nature, rather heavily charged with mineral deposits, but is very healthy and much liked by those who have been using it for any length of time. Its value to the city can only be reckoned by millions.


The Water Board consists of Peter Rockwell, J. W. Trotter and John W. Evans. M. X. Chuse is Superintendent.


The present city well is on the same tract where the first coal-shaft was attempted, which enterprise in reality demonstrated the existence of our valuable supply of water.


MANUFACTURES.


In tracing the early history of manufacturing, we shall be quite brief. We will mention that the first machinery of which we read, appears to have been a " dog


389


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


power," used by Henry Miller, the first wheelwright, in the manufacture of spinning wheels. He was here in 1831, and probably used this machinery near that date. He owned the first turning-lathe in Bloomington, about the year 1835. Seth Baker owned the first saw-mill. His machinery was propelled by oxen in a tread-mill. This must have been about 1832 or 1833. Solomon Dodge ran the first corn-mill about this time, also impelled by the patient ox. Perhaps we should except the " corn-cracker," erected by Dr. Baker in the winter of 1830 and 1831, at the time of the Deep Snow. This mill was on his farm in Blooming Grove, and was in running order at a very late date. There were also other " hand" corn-mills, as well as horse-mills in Blooming Grove at a very early date, earlier than either of the above-mentioned. Rev. E. Rhodes is said to have had a " hand corn-mill " as early as 1824, and, by the winter of 1831 and 1832-the year after the Deep Snow-there were several " horse-mills " at the Grove.


It would be pleasant if we were able to follow the improvements that have taken place in the last fifty years, to return to the spinning-wheels of Blooming Grove and exhibit them with the finest machinery in our modern looms ; to compare the home- made hoe and wooden plow of the pioneer with the polished implements turned out to-day by Brokaw and Walton, or to bring the old ox-cart and rude wagon into com- parison with Ferre's phaetons and Matern's buggies. But we must pass to a hasty examination of what we find, leaving comparisons to the reader.


The Chicago & Alton Railroad Company's shops are our most worthy manufactories, and shall be first examined. But for these, one-fifth of Bloomington's population would be out of business to-day. The company generally pays out each month the sum of $30,000 to about 700 men. No wonder that Springfield offered to exchange the State Capitol for this single manufactory ! The establishment is full and complete -will turn out everything needed, from a locomotive of the heaviest class to a finely- finished and elegantly-upholstered sleeping-car, while anything in use by the company, be it a pump, an engine, a car or a wind-mill, can be repaired by the ingenious workmen with the fine machinery of the different departments. When, in the autumn of 1853, the first train of cars on this road entered Bloomington from the South, the enterprise was in its infancy. There had been no less than four separate companies owning the line from Chicago to St. Louis, and there was little to indicate the future enormous proportions of the Chicago & St. Louis Railroad. The Illinois Central, which had been the topic of conversation in Illinois for more than fifteen years, was looked upon as the only railroad of importance. Bloomington had made an effort to secure what were regarded as the remarkably valuable machine and repair shops of that company, and had seen itself, in 1852, beaten by the insignificant town of Wapella. The atten- tention of men like James Allin, Jesse W. Fell, A. Gridley, W. H. Allin and David Davis-men of eagle eye and sound judgment -- was at once turned to the little " Alton & Sangamon Company," as the new line was at first called, then the " Chicago & Mis- sissippi Railroad," and they determined to secure here the railroad-shops, hoping that in the future it might grow into a large establishment. They took steps to this end early in 1853, each of them making a donation to the company for this purpose, and they stimulated others to do the same. These efforts were successful and a tract of land of over six acres was donated to the railroad company for railroad purposes. This land was bounded on the east by the track, on the north by the township line, on the west by the section line, being triangular in shape. It is on this spot that the original shops


390


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


were built, but it has been greatly enlarged. On the east side of the track, the piece of land bounded on the west by the track, on the east by Catharine street, and south by Chestnut street, the site of the old passenger depot, was also donated, the whole having been paid for by the gentlemen named above, with others, and deeded to the company by W. H. Allin with full warrantee deeds, for the sum of $3. In all there were over seven acres.


During the years 1853 and 1854, the shops needed for the little railroad company were built, and a beginning made in the great enterprise of which we are now so proud. These were added to from time to time, so that, in the year 1858, nearly two hundred men were employed in the different departments. As the business of the road increased-the different pieces of the road being consolidated into one corporation-the shops were enlarged four times, until at the time of the fire, November 2, 1867, nearly as many men were employed as there are now. These buildings were not well arranged, however, and that event compelled the company to face the problem of permanent con- struction. Plans were prepared carefully during the winter following the fire, for the best system that could be devised, taking into account what was then needed, and con- sidering the probable increase of business of the present road and the possible growth from future consolidations with other railroads, and the result is seen in the splendid shops now finished.


At the time of their construction, there were no railroad shops west of Altoona, Penn., that surpassed these in Bloomington; but in the last few years it is possible they may have been equaled. The ground upon which the old shops stood at the time of the fire was not large enough for the needs of the present establishment, and before the new works were commenced the company obtained quite an addition, and secured from the city the closing of streets and alleys that were in the way. The conditions of rebuilding here in Bloomington, in preference to removing the shops to Springfield, Joliet or Chicago, were, that the additional ground should be furnished and those streets and alleys vacated by the city. This was agreed to by the City Council; but before the matter could be consummated legally, considerable time must elapse, and hence there was doubt whether the city might be able to accomplish all that was desired. In order to insure this, a guarantee was signed by nearly all the leading citizens of Blooming- ton, agreeing that all should be done as desired.


The space occupied by the company for shops and tracks is equal to forty acres. Here we find more than a dozen very large buildings, in which are carried on the immense operations of the company. Among the principal shops we will mention :


The Car-Shop.


.263 by 80 feet.


Planing 66


200 by 75


Paint


170 by 75


63 by 19 66


Dry-House


180 by 60 06


Foundry. L 50 by 40


Blacksmith-Shop. 200 by 75


Boiler-Shop. 160 by 60 260 by 100 66


Machine-Shop


Machine-Shop Addition. 66


50 by 45 66


Old Machine-Shop ..


270 by 40


Rolling-Mili (wood).


132 by 57 66


Old Roundhouse


240 feet in diameter.


New Roundhouse


240 66


Storehouse.


120 by 60 feet.


80 by 45


391


HISTORY OF MCLEAN COUNTY.


All these buildings, except the rolling-mill and the old machine-shops, are built of Joliet stone, have iron-trussed roofs covered with slate, and several of the largest are two-stories high. Beside the above, there are several smaller buildings, the pattern-shop, brass-foundry and several others. Taken all in all, it is seldom we find such a magnifi- cent collection of manufacturing establishments as are here grouped together upon the forty acres and more of land belonging to the company. These shops are filled with the finest and most substantial machinery that can be found. One can form some idea of this from the simple statement that in the blacksmith-shop there are fifty forges, and eight steam trip-hammers, the latter weighing eight to fifteen hundred pounds. Several of the largest and most powerful steam-engines in the West are in constant use to pro- pel the ponderous machinery of the different departments. Even the pumping-engine, which forces water from the company's magnificent well, is a large engine. These dif- ferent structures were over two years in building, having been finished nearly as they now stand, about the beginning of the year 1870. When the machine-shop is rebuilt to correspond with those now in use, the appearance of the whole will be superior to anything of the kind in the State.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.