USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 2
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72
understands his business, as he has from the start evinced a disposition and ability to be thorough, reliable and efficient in the mak- ing of sales. The same qualities keep him aloof from "polities," by which term is gener- ally meant politieal trickery to some extent. He has been active in the business world and one of the most progressive men of the city. Hle is laboring diligently for the centralization of business at Cleveland, and has already ae- complished much in this direction. Is sincere in his efforts, frank and honest, and proposes nothing but what is honorable. He has great hopes for the future greatness of the already great city of Cleveland, believing that in time it will become one of the few first cities in size and business character in the United States. He handles probably as much property as any other man in the city. His office is in the Beckman Block.
In 1867 he married Celia De Long, a native of Summit county, Ohio.
H M. DOTY, M. D., who has been for many years identified with the interests of Chagrin Falls, is a native of the State of Ohio, born at Bainbridge, Geauga county, September 21, 1818. His parents, Frederick and Harriet Ann (St. John) Doty, were natives of Connecticut and New York re- speetively; they emigrated to Ohio in 1835, and there passed the remainder of their lives. They reared a family of seven children, three of whom are deceased. When there was a call from the Nation in her hour of need, two of the sons took up arms in her defence, and went bravely to the front; A. M. was a member of the Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and E. F. served in the navy; the former resides in Portage county, Ohio, but the latter is de- ceased. The paternal grandfather of our sub. jeet was David Doty, a native of Connecticut, and a member of an old family of New Eng. land.
469
. QUYANOUA COUNTY.
Dr. Doty received his literary education in the common schools of Chagrin Falls and at Oberlin, Ohio, and when he had finished his course engaged in teaching. While this pro- fession offered a wide field of usefulness he pre- ferred the more serions calling of medicine. He began the study of the science under Drs. Curtis and Walters, was successively under the tuition of Drs. J. M. Lewis and B. F. Holliday; Prof. John Bennett was also one of his instruct- ors. Entering Western Reserve Medical Col- lege, he was graduated with the class of 1873, and immediately thereafter located at Chagrin Falls. Here he has established a large practice and has taken his place among the leading prae- titioners of the county.
In polities he supports the issues of the Re- publican party, and has twice been the choice of that body for the office of Mayor of the town. Ilis career in this capacity has been character- ized by the faithful and able discharge of his duty. He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Golden Gate Lodge, No. 245, F. and A. M., Chagrin Falls Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M., and Oriental Commandery No. 12, K. T., of Cleveland. As a member of the School Board Dr. Doty was untiring in his efforts to raise the standard of education, and has labored zealously to increase the facilities for seenring to every youth that training that will make him a safeguard to the Republic which has fostered him.
Dr. Doty was united in marriage in 1574, at Chagrin Falls, to Arvilla P. Goodell. Mrs. Doty was born, reared and educated in this county, and was previous to her marriage promi- nently identified with the work of the leading edueators of the State.
W ILLIAM GIFFIN, one of the old retired citizens of Cleveland, was born in Tompkins county, New York, Febru. ary 13, 1815, a son of John and Lois (Thorp) Gillin, both of whom are now deceased. They reared a family of three children; Louisa J. and
Hannah are both deceased, William being the only surviving one. Ile first emigrated to Ohio in 1835, and after spending two years upon the frontier, returned to New York State. Ju 1871 he came back to Ohio, and settled in Cleveland where he has since resided. He is a mason and builder by trade, and devoted the best. years of life to this work. As his declining years ap- proached he gave up more active pursuits, and is now living in quiet retirement.
Ile was married in Huron county, Ohio, April 2, 1837, to Miss Jane K. Warner, a daughter of Justice and Mary (Sperry) Warner, and to them were born four children: Louisa J., wife of Charles M. Lusk, is the mother of two sons, Rollin W. and Milton W .; Rollin S. mar- ried Elizabeth Pinkney, and they have one danghter, Jessie W .; E. Adaline is the widow of A. K. Hobart, who died in 1882 at the age of thirty-eight years; John W. married Carrie M. Gascoigne, and to them was born one child, Herbert E .; the mother died in 1888, at the age of twenty-eight years. Mr. Giflin's second marriage was to Annis Kidder-Coleman, and thay have one child, Adaline. The mother of this family died April 15, 1893, at the age of seventy-seven years. She had been a member of church over fifty years. From Our Church Greeting, published for the Enelid Avenue Con- gregational Church, April 23, 1893, the follow- ing is quoted:
"Our sister, Mrs. Jane K. (Warner) Giffin, wife of William Giffin, was born in Burlington, Vermont, and came to Cleveland when seven- teen years of age. She was married to William Giffin in 1837, and in 1887 they celebrated their golden wedding. They removed to An- burn New York, but returned to Cleveland in 1871, and have ever since made their home on Genesee avenue. On returning to this eity she united with the Congregational Church by let- ter from the Baptist Church of Auburn, New York.
" Mrs. Gillin was a woman of deep spiritual nature and profound religions experience. She was never weary in well doing, and found her
463
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
daily joy in unselfish ministries of counsel and help. The word of God was her constant com- panion and the songs of Zion were often on her lips. The poor and needy always found her a wise adviser and a generous helper, and all whose lives in any way touched bers took know- ledge of her, that she lived in daily fellowship with Christ."
Mr. Giflin and the children are Church mem- bers. In polities he adheres to the Republican party.
S TRATON S. OGILVY, a well known and much respected citizen of Strongs- ville township, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, was born in Montrose, Forfarshire, Scotland, June 29, 1820. In his native land he spent the first fourteen years of his life. Then he entered upon a seafaring life, and for eighteen years ran on the Baltic sea, stopping at the va- rious ports of Russia, Sweden and Denmark. After that he spent twelve months in Scotland, studying navigation, and at the end of that time again launched out on the deep. He sailed all over the world, visiting all the different countries on the globe, and crossing the Equator twenty-one different times. For five years he was an apprentice in the employ of W. S. Glad. stone. Then he served in the capacity of second mate, later as first mate, and finally as captain. While on a voyage to New York, in 1842, he met with an accident in which both his legs were broken, the result being that he abandoned the sea.
Upon his arrival in America in 1812, Mr. Ogilvy came to Cuyahoga county, Ohio, to visit his brother John, and while here he purchased 152 acres of land in Strongsville township, the farm upon which he now lives. Soon after this he returned to Scotland and married Miss Eliza Lourie, and brought his bride with him to Ohio. They made their home on the farm he had pur- chased for about a year and a half, and then, on account of his wife's declining health, they re- turned to Scotland. She never fully recovered
her health, although she lived for a number of years, and finally died in her native land. They had six children, livo of whom reached adult years, mumnely: David J .; Weller E., who died of lockjaw; Harry; William; and Charles S., who died from the effects of a wound reveived from an engine while he was working in the machine shops at. Cleveland. Mr. Ogilvy con- tinned to reside in Scotland for twenty years, and in the meantime was married there again, the maiden name of his second wife being Mary King. She bore him two children, only one of whom, Charles S., lived. She accompa- nied him on his return to America, and her death occurred in Strongsville township. Ilis third wife, nec Sarah Morris, also died in this township. March 10, 1886, he was married in Cleveland, Ohio, to Mrs. Eliza II. Ody, nee Harry, a native of Wiltshire, England, born October 19, 1835. Her first husband, Thomas Ody, died March 9, 1883, leaving her with five children, besides whom four had died, as fol- lows: Thomas, George, Antoinette, John, Ade- line, Sarah, Theresa, Francis J. and Amelia. Two of these had married before Mrs. Ody's union with Mr. Ogilvy.
Mr. Ogilvy has resided in Strongsville town- ship since 1863 and farming has been his sole business since that time. He owns 132 acres of fine land, well improved and under a high state of cultivation.
Mrs. Ogilvy has been a member of the Meth- odist Church since 1866, and for over five years has been Superintendent of the Sunday school.
A NDREW J. AIKEN, chief engineer of the Fairmount water works, Cleveland, Ohio, was born in Brooklyn, Cuyahoga county, this State, January 29, 1834, son of William and Betsey (Clark) Aiken, both natives of Conneetient.
Mr. Aiken was educated in his native town, and early in life chose for his occupation the business of engineer. Ile ran the engines in
461
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
the gristmills of Poe, Kelley and Selden & Sargeant previous to 1862, and that year went on the steam tug, S. C. Ives. Hle was em- ployed on the lakes from 1862 until 1872. In 1872 he resigned his position on the Magnet and located in Cleveland. For ten years he was first assistant at division pumping station, and for eight years he has occupied his present position. During all this time he has never had a serious accident. On one occasion he risked his own life to save that of another man, and from the effects of injury received thereby was laid up for sixteen days. From the time he started ont to make his own way in the world he has never been out of employment, and during his life in Cleveland and elsewhere he has ingratiated himself with his co-workers, his employers, and, indeed, all with whom he has come in contact.
Mr. Aiken was married September 25, 1864, to Miss Catharino Welsh, adopted daughter of Benjamin S. Welsh, of Cleveland. They have a family of seven children, namely: William was engineer on the John Harper, a lake steamer; Louis, machinist; Bettie Lonisa, wife of a Mr. Small, has one child, Catherine; Ruth; Harry Lorenzo; Andrew J., Jr .; and Esther.
Of the adopted parents of Mrs. Aiken we make record as follows: Benjamin S. Welsh was one of the early pioneers of northern Ohio. Ile served in the war of 1812, and afterward for some time in the regular army, being stationed at Mackinaw Island, then a trading post. After his discharge, 1817, he settled in Cleveland, where he was well known as a pio- neer tavern keeper for many years. He re- mained in this city up to the time of his death, which ocenrred in 1876, at the age of eighty- seven years. His wife, Sophronia Welsh, died in 1872, at the age of seventy-six. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were people of sterling qualities. Mrs. Welsh was noted lar and near as an excellent nurse and good cook. Indeed, few of the pio- neers of this city had a warmer place in the
hearts of the people here than did this worthy couple. They had a family of four children be- sides the adopted daughter alluded to, namely: Osear, who died in 1892, aged seventy years; James, who died in 1883; Lorelle, widow of James B. Wilber, is a resident of Chicago; and Roselia, wife of Henry Hows, of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Politically, Mr. Aiken is a Republican, as are his sons and as also was his father. He is a member of the Marine Engineers. Mrs. Aiken is a member of Beckwith Church.
OIIN BIRD, foreman of the " Big Four" round-house at Cleveland, was born in Toronto, Canada, May 13, 1850. Joseph Bird, his father, was a painter. Hle married Mary Turreff, a sister of ex-Superintendent Turreff, of the "Big Four," now deceased. Their children are: William, a locomotive en- gineer on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad; John and Elizabeth, un- married.
John Bird learned blacksmithing near To- ronto, Canada, but when he came to Cleveland in 1872 he went at once to railroading, becom- ing a fireman for the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railroad Company, running between Wellsville and Cleveland. In 1875 he left the Cleveland & Pittsburg and assumed charge of the Cleve- land, Lorain & Wheeling round-house at Lorain, Ohio. He was made an engineer in eighteen monthis and remained so five years, when he took charge of the Mattoon round-honse in Illi- nois, and a year later returned to Cleveland and went into the Nickel Plate service as an engi- neer, running over the first three divisions of the road and remaining till July 8, 1890, when he quit to accept his present position.
June 12, 1881, Mr. Bird married, in Cleve- land, Miss Hannah JJ., a daughter of Jesse Enoo. Mr. Enoo is one of the oldest residents of Clove- land, and a gentleman who has cast fifty four annual ballots in this city. Ile is now eighty-
465
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
four years of age and in full possession of all his mental and physical powers. Hle came to Cleveland from New York, married here Mary Stanfield and reared four children, -G. W. II., Hannah J., Mary and Sarah, the two latter being unmarried. Hattie Elizabeth is the only child of our subject, a girl of twelve years.
Mr. Bird is a member of the Royal Arcanmn, of the A. O. U. W. and of the " Big Four " in- snrance association. He holds the ollice of Chaplain in the S. F. I.
M ARTIN BOWEN SCOTT was born March 8, 1801, at Deerfield, Oneida county, New York. Ilis birthplace was apon a farm owned by his father, Nathaniel Scott, whose farm lay about one-half mile west of the line between Herkimer and Oneida counties. Ile was a descendant of Richard Scott, who landed in Boston in 1633, off the ship Griffin and became the parent tree of the family in America. Ile moved to Rhode Island, where he was a contemporary of Roger Williams.
HIe embarked in business very early in life, first in connection with navigation upon the Mohawk river and the Erie canal, from 1822 to 1827, during a part of which period his home was at Utica, New York, and at Little Falls. Ile was for a time in the employ of Degroff, Watson & Company, which was in that day a leading forwarding house of Schenectady. In 1828 he resided at Whitehall, situated at the head of Lake Champlain, upon which lake he was interested in navigation, as well as upon the Champlain canal. In 1829 he removed to the city of Albany, New York, where he be- came the manager for Derevaugh, Butler & Company, and later the Thorn & Curtis Com- pany, of Utica, which was of the Utica line of canal boats, the first line of canal boats that ever navigated the Erie Canal and Hudson river. In 1831 he and others formed a stock company called the Albany Canal Tow Boat
Company, a steam transportation company be- tween the cities of New York and Albany, and of this he became manager at Albany. In 1835 he removed to the city of New York, a place affording better opportunity for the successful management of the business of this transporta- tion company.
A year later he found his health failing, by reason of his close application to business dur- ing a period of fourteen active years, and seek- ing medical aid it became his plan under the advice of his physician to retire, at least for a time, from a business career. lle did so, and then traveled on horseback through the then new States of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. It was simply a tour that he made for the benefit of his health, but during his visit to this Western country he not only re- gained his health but formed a liking for the climate and local advantages afforded by this region, and, especially liking Cleveland, he de- eided upon coming to this city and making his future home here. Ilis business in Cleveland consisted largely in storing and forwarding grain, and to a considerable extent (for those days) he also became interested in lake ship- ping, being the owner of several vessels which he operated in connection with his grain busi- ness. Ile built a steam elevator, which was the first brick building erected on the river front. Ile retired from active business in 1865, but was interested in Cleveland enteprises up to the time of his death, being president of the Mer- cantile Insurance Company, a director in the old Merchants' Bank, and a trustee of the So- ciety for Savings. He died in 1872.
In 1838 he came to Cleveland, and on the 25th day of March of the following year he married Mary, the daughter of Samuel William- son, a distinguished and well known citizen of this city, now deceased. Mrs. Scott was born in Cleveland February 11, 1813, and died Octo- ber 1, 1859. At the time of her death she was the oldest native of Cleveland that had con- stantly resided in the place from the time of birth. Mr. and Mrs. Scott had seven children,
466
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
all of whom save Charles O. are deceased: two grew to maturity. Martin B. died in 1870, from fever contracted in the army service. Ile was a soldier in the One Hundred and Fiftieth Ohio Volunteer infantry, while John W. died in 1873.
Charles O. Scott, one of the leading citizens of Cleveland, was born in this city and edu- cated in the public schools here. Alter prepar- ing for college in New Hampshire he entered Harvard College, but was not permitted to com- plete his course at college by reason of failing health. He visited Europe, returned to Cleve- land and afterward became interested in the A. S. HIerenden Furniture Company as a share- holder. In the interest of this business he was active until 1887, when the business was closed.
Mr. Scott has been a stockholder in a number of manufacturing enterprises, and has been very largely interested in Cleveland real estate, to the development of which he has materially contributed. Ile has been interested in some two or three allotments, and for the past seven years he has given his time and attention to his own private interests.
lle is a young, active and successful business man. Socially, he sustains enviable relations. Ile is a patron of the Historical Society, being a life member, and is also a member of the Country Club and of the Chamber of Com- merce, while politically he is a Republican.
S W. MATHIER, an undertaker and maun- facturer of caskets at 1330 Pearl street and 909 Woodland avenue, Cleveland, was born in Herkimer county, New York, July 27, 1849, a son of Asaph and Betsey (Davis) Mather, natives also of that State. The father was born on the same farm, July 14, 1821, and his death occurred in December, 1892. The mother, born in 1822, departed this life in 1875. They were the parents of eleven chil- dren, six now living, namely: S. W., our sub- ject; Emour, a farmer by occupation, married
Miss Mary Ann Sawyer; Asaph T., a railroad conductor, married Miss Katie Reynolds; llat- tie Jane, wife of Engene II. Edick, of Cleve- land; Mary, now Mrs. Cooley; and William, a farmer by occupation, married a Miss Notting- ham. All the children reside in Cattarangus county, New York, excepting the subject of this sketch. The deceased children are: Hul- dah, who died at the age of twenty years, was the wife of Benjamin Thomas; Jeremiah, de- ceased at the age of two years; George, at the age of seventeen years; Ilenry married Alphre- da Potter, and died when twenty-five years of age; and John, deceased in 1873, at the age of twenty-six years.
S. W. Mather, the subject of this sketch, worked at farin labor until twenty-two years of age, was then engaged in the grocery business at Cleveland one and a half years, next worked at the carpenter's trade, and his next venture . was to invent a patent firo-lighter. In 1887 he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where for a year and a half he engaged in the manufac- ture of patent fire-lighters. Selling out, he went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he con- tinned in the same business nearly a year. Selling out his interest in the tire-lighter busi- ness again, he returned to Cleveland in 1879 and put up an establishment for the manufac- ture of the step-ladder, and while there he in- vented a step-ladder and patented it. Here he engaged in making all kinds of ladders, under the name of the Union Ladder Works, which was afterward known as the Union Ladder & Washboard Works. In 1885 he embarked in his present occupation, in the manufacture of caskets. In 1887 the Funeral Reform Associa- tion of the United States was formed by Mr. Mather, Dr. Gallentine and Dr. C. B. Ilumis- ton. The association now has the following oflieers: Dr. C. B. Humiston, president; E. J. Ilolmden, vice-president; E. Il. Edick, seere- tary; Jolin Meyer, treasurer; and S. W. Mather, general manager. The terms of membership are $3 for a family, or $1 for a single person, with no further dues or assessments. The asso.
Corpus Millard
467
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
ciation is not a monopoly. It claims no special right, or does it seek to dominate prices or compel patronage. It sells to any person with- out regard to locality, and it has among its members many of the publie-spirited and well known citizens of Cleveland and other cities, leading ministers and other professional men.
Mr. Mather was married September 6, 1887, to Miss Addie Cooley, a daughter of Henry and Candace ( MeClure) Cooley. Her father is still living in New York, aged sixty-six years, and her mother died in 1885, at the age of fifty- seven years. Both were members of the Pres- byterian Church, in which the former has served as Deacon for many years. They had three children: Julia, wife of Walter Searl, of Frank- linville, New York; William II., who married Mary Mather; and Addie, wife of our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Mather have had three children, only one of whom is now living, Addie Mae. Our subject and wife are members of the Meth- odist Episcopal Church. In political matters Mr. Mather affiliates with the Republican party. Through his varied and eventful life he has maintained his honor and integrity, and is emi- nently deserving of the respect and patronage of the community, of which he is an honorable and useful member.
C YRUS MILLARD, proprietor of machine shops at Chagrin Falls, was born in the Kirtland Flats, near where the Mormon temple still stands, in Geanga county, Ohio, February 15, 1816.
His Father, Brazilla Millard, a native of New York, was reared in that State and married there, and emigrated to Geauga county in 1811, settling upon a farm. In 1832 he moved to Fullertown, in the same county, and in 1836 to Indiana, and finally to Oakland county, Michi- gan, where he died, in his seventy-sixth year. Ile was supposed to be of Scotch descent. For his wife he married, in New York State, Miss Naney Moore, a native of that State and reared
there, and she died in Oakland county Michigan, in her fiftieth year. Her father, John Moore, also a native of Now York, was a Revolutionary soldier and received a pension of $96 perannum. She was a sister of Isaac Moore, who was a prom- inent citizen of Mentor, this State, being a mem- ber of the Ohio House of Representatives one term. His son, C. Il., is a prominent citizen of De Witt county, Illinois.
Mr. Cyrus Millard, the fourth in a family of fourteen children,-nine sons and five dangh- ters, -- attended school in the log schoolhouses of the day, in his native place, and at the early age of ten years began to take care of himself, first working upon a farm or at anything else he could find to do, for his clothes and board; for a time he was employed by Elijah Smith, who had aided him in his younger days. He also lived with his unele, Isaac Moore, who was a good man. In 1832 he began work in a mill and learned the milling business. Being natur- ally a mechanic, he could make anything that any other man could.
At the age of nineteen years he located in the northern part of Russell township, where he married Miss Sallie Surdam, a native of New York and the second child of Peter Surdam. He again commenced working in a mill, a sawmill - and box factory, which he soon purchased, and he owned and ran it for twenty years. Before this, however, he had bought forty aeres of land, to which he added by latter purchases until he had 210 acres. In 1866 he sold the farm and mill, and moved to Chester Cross Roads, where he remained twenty years and where his wife died, to whom he had been married just thirty-eight years to a day. March 7, 1843, while Mr. Mil- lard was living at North Russell, his house burned down, and in the disaster also all of his four children and a brother fourteen years old were burned to death, -- an event too sad and pain- ful to dwell upon. All truly sympathetic peo- ple will feel as deeply upon this subject without words as with them.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.