Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2, Part 7

Author: Lewis Publishing Company. 1n
Publication date: 1894
Publisher: Chicago : The Lewis publishing company
Number of Pages: 1020


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 7


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72


Until this time the necessities of life had pressed too hardly upon this young man to admit many aspirations beyond the honest win- ning of his daily bread. In the spring of 1813, however, he determined to enter school: this


494


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


plan was carried out, and the next fall was also devoted to his studies. In 1843 he attended two terms, in 1814 two terms, in 1815 one term, and then read medieine. Ile was then employed as a teacher at Little Mountain, receiving a salary of $10 a month. When the term was ended be started with a friend through the oil region of Pennsylvania grafting fruit trees, and continued this business until the opening of school in the spring, when he returned to his books. During the winter months following he had charge of a school of ninety pupils, and then came another period when he again was pupil instead of master.


Desirous of entering Willoughby Medical College, he went to work at his trade to obtain the necessary funds. November 1, 1845, he en- tered this institution, and by working for his board was enabled to finish the literary course, taking the highest honors of his class. ITe then became a student in the old Erie Medical Col- lege of Cleveland, during an extra session, in the fall term of 1817, walking eight miles a day to attend the lectures and earning one dollar a day at his trade! The odds against which he worked make the path of the medical student of the present day appear to be a smooth one. In 1851 he practiced in Cleveland, and graduated in 1852; he practiced, studied and graduated. Ile at once began the practice of his profession, but while the study of the science of medicine had its charms, the practical side was yet another story.


At the end of one year Dr. Coleman retired to his farm at Munson, where he gave his attention to tilling the soil, responding to the few pro- fessional ealls in the neighborhood where he lived. While a resident there he served also as Justice of the Peace under the administra- tion of Governor Chase. In 1863 he removed to his farm near Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and there -he has since resided. Hle purchased in 1872 a quarry near Cleveland, which proved a profit- able investment, and he also owns some valu- able real estate in Cleveland, and fourteen houses in Cleveland and Collinwood, gained by indus


try and ceonomy in youth, upon which he de- pends for his support, in part at least, in the infirmities of age.


lle is one of the ten men through whose efforts the Chagrin Falls Narrow Gauge Rail- road was finally completed. Remembering the difficulties which beset his way, the Doctor has ever been a warm friend to those educators whose effort has been to increase and improve the facilities for the on-coming generations. He was one of the founders and supporters of ITiram Seminary and College, as delegate from the church at Munson, about thirty-two churches uniting by delegates; and he was an ardent friend of James A. Garfield. In 1870-'71 he was for two years' Trustee of Chagrin Falls township. At one time he was interested in the paper mills at Chagrin Falls; he sold his interest to Pratt & Pope. HIe afterward ran a large carriage shop at Chagrin Falls.


Dr. Coleman was married at the age of twen- ty-eight years, to Rhoda Hayden, a daughter of Elder William Hayden. She was born June 26, 1825, at Streetsboro, Ohio, and died leav- ing one daughter, Mary, who married and is also deceased. Mary left a family of three chil- dren: Mrs. Nellie Farley, Burr, and May Bush- cy, who is a successful student and nurse in the lluron Street Ilospital Training School. After the death of his first wife Dr. Coleman was married, in 1869, to Amelia V. Kent, a daugh- ter of the Hon. Gamaliel HI. Kent, one of the prominent early settlers of Chagrin Falls. Two children have been born of this union, Jean and Gussie. Dr. Coleman has always had a home. Even when yet a boy he provided to have a home before his marriage. llis present home he purchased in June, 1862.


In his religious laith the Doctor adheres to the teachings of the Disciple Church, and has been a zealous laborer in the cause of his Master, in Cleveland, Collamer, Willoughby, Mentor, Munson, Chester, Russell, Chagrin Falls, etc. In testimony of his labors as a church official, from 1863 to 1591, the Disciple Church at Chagrin Falls, of which he is a member, in


495


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


December, 1893, presented Dr. Coleman with an elegant gold-headed cane as a token of their appreciation of the zeal he had shown in the cause of the church. For all his services in the cause of religion he has never received any pecuniary compensation. Believing earnestly in temperance reform he has supported that movement through all its varying fortunes with the warmest ardor. In all the walks of life he has borne himself with strict integrity and a dignity that have commanded the respect and confidence of every class of citizens.


F A. MINER, one of the leading farmers of this locality, was born in Royalton town- ship, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, May 11, 1840, a son of D. A. Miner. The latter's father, John Miner, came to Cuyahoga county from Genesee county, New York, about 1832, where he purchased eighty aeres of wooded land, pay- ing $10 per aere, and immediately began clear- ing his place. His death occurred at this place in 1840. Ilis wife afterward died at the home of her children in Michigan. Daniel A. Miner was married in New York to Phebe Williams, and they had one child when they located in Ohio. She married Washington Taylor, and died in Royalton township. After coming to this State one son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Miner, Iliram, now a farmer in South Dakota. The wife and mother died in Ohio, and the father afterward married Sarah Francis, a native of Roy- alton, and a daughter of Thomas Francis, one of the early pioneers of this locality. To this union were born nine children, as follows: Phebe, wife of Charles Canfield, of Brecksville township, this county; F. A., our subject; W. B., of Jackson county, Michigan; Betsey Jane, deceased in Jackson county, was the wife of John Hunt; Loraine, who married Edward Blackmore, and also died in that State; Seldon Benjamin, ros- idents of Jackson county, Michigan; Lottie, wife of Edward Blackmore; and Charles, of Jackson, Michigan. After coming to Ohio, Daniel Miner


lived with his father until the latter's death, after which he took charge of the farm. In 1864 he re- moved to Jackson county, Michigan, where he died in 1873. His widow still resides at the old homestead in that county, aged seventy-six years. Mr. Miner was identified with the Republican party, and was a member of the Free-will Baptist Church.


F. A. Miner, the subject of this sketch, re- mained on the home farm nutil nineteen years of age, and then learned the trade of plasterer. After his marriage he located near where he now lives in Royalton township, Cuyahoga county, and, with the exception of three years spent in Brecksville township, has resided in this locality ever since. Mr. Miner came to his present farm in 1881, where he is engaged in general farm- ing and dairying, having abandoned his trade for the past five years. In political matters he has been a life-long Republican, and has held the important position of Justice of the Peace for nine years.


January 3, 1859, Mr. Miner was united in marriage with Eleanor Wilcox, who was born in Royalton township, Cuyahoga county, July 9, 1837. a daughter of Edwin and Jane (Coates) Wilcox, the former a native of Massachusetts and the latter of Genesee county, New York.


The Wilcox family were from Holly, Massa- chusetts, came here with oxen and wagon, and were six weeks on the road, camping out at night. After marriage Edwin Wilcox located in Brecks- ville township, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, and his father-in-law, John Coates, was one of the early pioneers of Royalton township. Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Wilcox had the following children: Ilenry, who died at Grafton, West Virginia; Charles, deceased in Royalton township; and Eleanor, wife of our subject. Mr. Wilcox fol- lowed the carpenter's trade during his active life, and many of the large warehouses of Cleveland were erceted by him. His death occurred July 11, 1879, and his wife survived until November 11, 1886, both having been active members of the Free will Baptist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Miner have four children: James IL., an engin-


496


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


eer on the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad: Edwin D., a fireman on the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad; Lottie M., en- graged in teaching school; and Lillie J., at home. Mr. and Mrs. Miner are members of the Free, will Baptist Church, in which the former holds the position of Deacon, and has been Superin- tendent of the Sunday school for twenty years. He is one of the leading citizens of the town- ship, has taken an active interest in the improve- ment of the schools of his section, and is re- spected by all who know him.


H ORACE FORD, of Cleveland, was born in Cummington, Hampshire county, Massachusetts, October 22, 1823, a son of Cyrus and Clarissa (Whitmarsh) Ford, natives also of that place. Cyrus and his son lloratio came in a sleigh from Massachusetts to Ohio in 1837. Cyrus Ford and his wife visited relatives in Michigan during the winter, and then located in Massillon, this State, where he engaged in raising mulberries and silk-worms. On account of sickness, the family came to Cleveland in 1841, where Mr. Ford hatched 1,500,000 silk-worms, but never succeeded in getting a cocoon, the reason being attributed to the climate. In the fall of 1844 he purchased 100 acres of land on the north side of Euclid avenue, where our subject now resides, and for which he paid $18 per acre. He also bought 100 acres at the same time on Mayfield street, south of Garfiel monument, paying $16 per aere. At one time he devoted eighteen acres to watermelons. In 1852 Mr. Ford gave the farm to his son Horace, but remained there until his death, in 1864, at the age of seventy-four years. His wife survived until 1874, dying at the age of eighty-two years. They had six sons, Horace, Horatio C. (deceased in 1876), Henry, Francis, Lewis W. and George (who died in infaney). Mr. and Mrs. Ford and their two sons, Horace and Horatio, were charter mem- bers of the Euclid Avenne Congregational


Church, which celebrated its semi-centennial December 3 to 10 and following days, 1893. While in Massachusetts, Mr. Ford's family was raised in the same school district with William Cullen Bryant and Senator HI. L. Dawes.


Horace Ford, the subject of this sketch, worked on the farm during the summer months, and taught school in the winters. In October, 1816, his distriet introduced the graded-school system, and he then taught in a school in the eastern part of the city until 1851, when his health failed. In November, of that year, he taught in Ohio City. In 1852 Mr. Ford took charge of his father's farm, on which he paid a debt. of $1,600, also tanght in District No. 2 until 1865, and then engaged in market garden- ing. He sold forty acres of the Hill property for $1,000 an aere in April, 1891, the same land having been purchased in 1844 for $16 per acre. Mr. Ford still owns a lot, 300 x 600 feet, where he has a comfortable residence, and other desirable property. Ford Place, on Euclid avenne, was named in honor of his lather. Before the war Mr. Ford served as conductor on the nuderground railroad.


Ile was married in 1852, and had six chil- dren, two of whom, Ida and James, died of malignant dysentery in September, 1864, the the former aged eight years, and the latter eight months. They died within three hours of each other, and were buried in the same casket. The remaining children are: Mary, wife of Jesse B. Fay, an attorney of this city, and they have two sous, Horace and Thomas; Nellie L .. wife of J. M. Alton, also of Cleveland, and they have one son, George; Arthur II., engaged in gardening; and the youngest child died in infaney. The wife and mother departed this life in March, 1877, at the age of forty-eight. years. In February, 1880, Mr. Ford married Miss Mary C., a daughter of P'. Ilovey, of Cleveland. She died of apoplexy in December, 1883, and he afterward married Miss Eliza Talbot, a daughter of J. T. Talbot, also of this city. Mr. Ford, Mrs. J. D. Bennett, Mrs. Horatio Ford and Mrs. Elizabeth Ingersol (of


497


CUYAHOGA\ COUNTY.


Detroit) are the only surviving charter members of the Euclid Avenue Congregational Church. Since 1841 Mr. Ford has taught a class in the Sunday-school, which now numbers thirty mem- bers; in 1853 he was appointed a Deacon in the church, and has served as secretary of the Bo- hemian Mission Board since its organization. In political matters, his first vote was cast for James G. Birney in 1844, voted with the Liberty party until 1848, and since that time has been a Republican. Mr. Ford is one of the oldest representatives of one of the oldest, most favorably known and highly respected families in the city.


0 HI. CLAFLIN, a farmer of Royalton township, was born at this place, May 16, 1825, a son of William Claflin, a native of Hancock county, Vermont. He was a farmer by occupation, and was a soldier in the war of 1512, participating in the battle of Plattsburg. Mr. Claflin was married in his native State to Anna Abbot, a native of Vermont, and in 1819 they located in Royalton township, Cuyahoga county, Ohio. Their family at that time con- sisted of the following children: Daniel B., do- ceased in this township, at the age of eighty-six years; Amanda, married William Ferris and died in Royalton in 1884; Submit, deceased at the age of twenty-four years; William A., a carpenter by occupation, died in Michigan; and Timothy P., who died in Vermontville, Michi- gan, and was buried in Camden township, Lo- rain county, Ohio. Mr. Claflin purchased a small farm of wooded land. His death ocenrred September 6, 1827, by fever contracted while working on the Ohio canal, then in the course of construction from Cleveland to Akron. Ho was buried in Pritchard cemetery, Royalton township. After locating at this place four children were born in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Claflin, viz .: Julia A. J., married Merrick Por- ter, and died in Russia township, Lorain county, Ohio; Anna A., deceased in Michigan, was the


wife of Almon Graves; Orson Il., our subject; and Loyal Il., a farmer and grain speculator, died in Minnesota. At his death, the father left a widow and nine children, and the mother succeeded in keeping the smaller ones at home, supporting them by weaving and spinning. The mother died October 14, 1854, and was buried by the side of her husband.


O. II. Claflin, the subject of this sketch, re- mained at home until about eight years of age, after which he worked for his board for William Ferris ten years. lle never wore shoes until after his eighth year, his feet having been pro- tected by saeks during the winter! After leav- ing the home of Mr. Ferris, he sceured a contract to clear ten acres of timber land for $100. Mr. Claflin then attended the Richfield select school, where he fitted himself for teach- ing, and followed that occupation a number of years in Cuyahoga county. In 1850 he began work at the carpenter's trade in Wisconsin, and after returning to this county located on his farm. In the spring of 1855 Mr. Claflin came to his present farm of 155 acres in Royalton township, which he has cleared, and put under a fine state of cultivation. In addition to gen eral farming, he has also done inch work at the carpenter's trade in his neighborhood. In po- litical matters, he is a stanchi Republican, has served as Trustee and Assessor, and is well posted on the general issues of the day.


Mr. Claflin was married in Wisconsin, June 26, 1850, to Permelia Smith, and they had one child, Thomas M., a member of the Nordberg Manufacturing Company, of Milwankec. No- vember 8, 1854, in Strongsville, Ohio, our subject was united in marriage with Mariah S. Erswell, who was born in London, England, July 17, 1833, a daughter of Charles and Mary Ann (Snow) Erswell, who came to America in 1833. While crossing the ocean Mrs. Claflin became sick, and, thinking her dead, the Captain or- dered her thrown overboard, but the mother bogged to keep her a few minutes longer, and she revived! After spending a short time in New York, the family came to Ohio, Mr. and


198


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


Mrs. Claflin have had the following children: Dora, at home; Carrie, wife of John Bailey, of Brooklyn village, Cuyahoga county; Arthur II., a farmer of Royalton township; Otto II., at home; and Loyal, deceased in infancy.


A L. KNAUFE, a prominent fire-brick and clay dealer of Newburg, Ohio, dates his birth in New York city, September 10, 1542. In 1549 his father, P. J. Knanff, came west and settled on a farm in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, and on this farm the subject of our sketch grew to manhood.


July JO, 1861, young Knauff entered the service of the United States Government as a teamster in an ammunition train. He remained in this service until some time in October fol- lowing, when he enlisted in Company K, Third New York Cavalry, and was mustered in at Darnestown, Maryland, on the 17th of the same month. His command formed a part of the Army of the Potomae and first met the enemy at Ball's Bluff. Following is a list of engage- ments in which Mr. Kuauff participated during the war:


1861 .- Ball's Bluff, October 21; near Edwards' Ferry, October 22,-both in Virginia.


1862 .- Near Winchester, March 7; Win- chester, March 10; Shenandoah valley, April 8,-all three in Virginia. The following in North Carolina: Houghton Mills, April 27; near Bryant Church, May 7; near Trenton Bridge, May 15; Trenton Creek, May 30; Greenville road, May 31 and June 2; Trenton creek, Jne 5, 24, and July 10; Pollocksville, July 25; Mill creek, July 26; Young's Cross Roads, July 27; Kingston road, August 6; Neuse river road, August 20; Washington, Sep- tember 6 and 7; Trenton creek, September 9; Washington, October 7; Pungo creek, October 29; Rowles' mills, November 2; near Washing- ton, November 3; Tarboro, November 5; Bachelder's creek, November 11; Core creek, November 18; Kingston road, December 11;


Wise's Cross Roads, December 12; South West creek, December 13; Kingston, December 14; Goldsboro, December 15; Olive Station, De- cember 16; Dudley, December 17.


1863 .- Core creek, January 8; Pollocksville, January 17; near Trenton, January 18 and 19; near Jacksonville, January 20; Sandy Ridge, February 13; near New Berne, February 27; Skeet Mills, March 3; Swan's quarters, March 4; near Dover, March 6; Young's Cross Roads, March 7; near New Berne, March 13 and 14; Washington, March 30; White Fork, April 3; Gum Swamp. April 4; Swift creek, April 8; Blount creek, April 9; Blount's mills, April 14; l'eleter's mills, April 16; railroad crossing of Coal creek, April 17 and 18; Big Swift creek, April 19; Sandy Ridge, April 20; Wise's Cross Roads, April 28; near Core ereek, April 29; Coro creek, April 30; Evans' mills, May 5; Stony creek, May 7; Gum Swamp, May 22; Bachelder's creek, May 23; Washington, May 24; Jacksonville, May 30; Plymouth, June 16; Core creek, June 17 and 18: Trenton, July 3; Hallsville, July 4; Kenyonsville, July 5; War- saw, July 9; Swift Creek, July 15; Greenville, July 19; Rocky Mount station, July 20; Tar- boro, July 21; Street's Ferry, July 22; Pollocks- ville, July 26; near New Berne, October 7; Camden Court House, October 15; Dismal Swamp, November 3.


1864 .- In Virginia: Walbridge, May 5; Stony Creek station, May 7; Nottaway bridge, May S; Whitebridge, May 9; Chula depot, May 14; Beleher's Mills, May 16; near Hatcher's Run, Inne 2; near Petersburg, June 10; assault on Petersburg, June 15; Danville Railroad, June 22; Stanton Railroad bridge, June 25; Roanoke river, June 26; Reams' Station, June 29; Deep Bottom, July 26 and 29; Malvern ITill, August 1; Yellow Tavern on the Weldon Railroad, Angst 19; Reams' station, August 21 and 25: Lee's mills, Angust 31; and Jeru- salem plank road, September 2, when Mr. Knanff was taken prisoner of war, by Hamp- ton's Legion, and was thrown into historie Libby prison. Twenty days later he effected an escape


Houben Gates.


499


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


by tunneling. He decided to follow the James river and make an effort to reach the Federal lines below Richmond. During the day he lay hidden and at night floated on a log down the river. Thus he spent eighteen days and was finally picked up by a Union boat. Ilis term of enlistment being expired, he came back to Cleveland and took up civil pursuits, From the rank of private he was promoted to Corporal, Sergeant and finally Captain, but he never had a command.


The first three years after his return from the army Mr. Knauff was engaged in the butcher business. He next became connected with the well known lumber firm of Bell, Cartwright & Company, with which he remained seven years. After that he turned his attention to the fire- brick and clay business. The firm of which he is now a member, Wright & Knanff, was formed in 1878, when Mr. Knauf succeeded Mr. Alex- ander, who had helped to establish the yard in 1874. The name given the plant is The Cleve- land Diamond Fire-Brick Works. They occupy a tract of several acres in the southern part of the city, on the line of the Cleveland & Pitts- burg Railroad, which is improved with sub- stantial buildings and supplied with modern machinery and appliances. The main building is 65 x 90 feet, with an annex of 45 x 40 feet. Three kilns are in operation, each with a capa- city of 50,000 brick. The product consists of fire brick for all purposes, including enpolas, furnaces, arch work, etc., and the firm is able to accommodate patrons with any special form or style of work. Both Mr. Knanff and Mr. Wright are practical and experienced men in the business.


Mr. Knauf's father is a native of Germany, but has been a resident of America since 1830. For twelve years he made his home in New York city and vicinity. He is a man of family, his children being as follows: Augusta, wife of Henry Prehn, of Independence, Ohio; A. L .; Anna, deceased wife of John D. Evans; Theo- dore K., of Atlanta, Georgia; and Amelia, wife of E. D. Lerche.


Mr. A. L. Knaulf has been married threo times -- first, September 1, 1868, to a Mrs. Swartz, who died December 29, 1869, leaving one child, Marie; secondly, November 23, 1872, to Emma Krehbiel, who died June 12, 1885, without issue; and thirdly, March 13, 1889, to Mrs. Lois Esterbrook.


Hle is a member of Memorial Post, No. 141, G. A. R .; of the U. V. U., U. V. L., Prisoners of War, Loyal Legion and the Cavalry Associa- tion.


R EUBEN GATES was born in Brooklyn, Cuyahoga county, August 29, 1821. His father was the late JJeremiah Gates, who was one of the very earliest settlers of Cuyahoga county, born in Connecticut about 1791, and came from Delhi, New York, in the year 1815, to Brooklyn, traveling on foot for the purpose of examining the country. He was satisfied with the country and returned to Delhi, where he married Phebe Deming. The young couple journeyed to Cuyahoga county, making the trip with a horse and wagon to Buffalo and thence to Cleveland by way of Lake Erie. For two years after this Mr. Gates was employed in a sawmill, and in 1819 assisted his brother Na- thaniel in the erection of a sawmill at what is now known as Five Mile Lock. In 1820 he purchased a farm in Brooklyn township, where he continued to live until his death, which occurred in 1870. His wife passed away twelve years later. They had four children,-John, Matilda, Reuben and Charles. John died when seven years old. Matilda, wife of Isaiah Fish, was the first white child born in Brooklyn. She died in Brooklyn when about thirty-three years of age. Charles resides in Brooklyn.


Renben Gates was reared in Brooklyn, where ho lived till 1853, with the exception of two years, which he spent in Wellington, Ohio, where his father built a saw and grist mill. Ile was married in Wellington, Lorain county, Ohio, June, 1811, to Miss Harriet 1. Avery, a daugh-


38


500


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


ter of Waitstill and Lydia (Hendrick) Avery. Mrs. Avery died in West Stockbridge, Massa- chusetts. Her husband died in Wellington, Ohio, in October, 1815. They had three chil- dren, of whom Mrs. Gates was the second. She was born in West Stockbridge, August 14, 1821. Mr. and Mrs. Gates have one daughter, Lydia A., born in Brooklyn, November 22, 1845.


In 1853 Mr. Gates settled in Parma town- ship, where he erceted a steam sawmill and con- tinued to reside until November, 1870, when he sold his farm and mill and removed to Cleve- land, Ohio, remaining in the city eight years. During that time he, in connection with his brother, built the Star Elevator in Cleveland. In 1878 he was obliged to take back his Farm, and so returned to it, where he has since re- sided. He owns 138 acres, and has erected a fine system of buildings. Mr. Gates was the pioneer in using natural gas in the house, drill- ing a 1,000-foot well as early as 1862, which has furnished gas for heating, cooking, lighting and power to blow a steam whistle for calling hired help on the farm to their meals.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.