USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 54
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72
Mr. William H. Van Tine was brought up to the trade of miller, being educated mainly at the academie schools. At the age of nineteen he came west to Ohio, locating at Cleveland. After spending the fall and winter here, he went in the next spring to Summit county. In May,
799
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
1840, he accepted a position in the County Auditor's office and made the first tax duplicate of Summit county. Then he followed milling for two years in that county, and then, in 1842, returned to Cleveland, where he was engaged as a dealer in produce and wool until 1857, when he took charge of the office business of the first rolling mill in this city, retaining such position for nine years. Later he became an insurance agent, and has since continned his connection with this form of enterprise, representing most reliable companies and retaining a representa- tive clientage.
He became a member of the Congregational Church in Ohio City, in December, 1839. On returning to Cleveland, in 1842, he joined the Presbyterian Church, of which he continued a member for more than half a century, then re- turning onee more to the Congregational Church, of which he is a consistent and accept- able member at the present time. He has always been a total abstainer from alcoholie liquors and tobacco, eard-playing, theatre-going and profanity; always a conscientious citizen and a staneh Republican.
He was married in February 15, 1842, to Miss Julia M. Herrick, who died January 1, 1893, at the age of sixty-eight years. They had six children, namely: Cornelia M., wife of E. II. Perdue, of this eity; Robert, who died at the age of twenty-one years; Willie, deceased in infancy; William II., Jr., who is one of the most active real-estate dealers in the city; Rens- selaer R., secretary and treasurer of the Max- well Blue Stone Company; and Julia H., who married J. P. Moody, of Syracuse, New York.
The life of Mrs. Van Tine was spared suffi- ciently long to permit of the celebrating of the fiftieth anniversary of her marriage of our sub- ject. This memorable event occurred in 1892, and the occasion was held in fitting honor by the children and other relatives and friends. At the golden wedding there were present, except for the bride and groom, only two adults who had been present at the original ceremony fifty years before. No couple perhaps ever lived in
more thorough harmony and their lives were spared to the blessing of one another and of all who came within the circle of their influence.
Mrs. Van Tine's mother, Maria M. Herrick, reliet of Sylvester P'. Herrick, celebrated her ninety-sixth birthday anniversary May 1, 1894, at the residence of her son, ex-Mayor R. R. Ilerrick, with whom she makes her home. She reads without glasses, her mind is elcar and she keeps thoroughly in touch with the social, moral and political movements of the day.
Our subjeet and his wife spent their blended lives going hand in hand in all church work, and especially in the Sunday-school work, to which they devoted more than half a century each as teachers.
W A. DIAMOND, round-house foreman and engine dispatcher of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Company, began his service with the company in 1872, at Buffalo, as apprentice in the shops, and upon completing his trade was employed in the locomotive department of the same shops, being assigned a regular run as fireman. Three years later he was promoted to be engineer, re- maining on the road until he was given the foremanship of the Jackson shops, a few months later coming to Cleveland in the same capacity, June 1, 1887.
Mr. Diamond was born in Toronto, Canada, in June, 1857. At the age of seven he was brought to Buffalo, New York, where he re- ceived a fair education from the city high school, which he left at fifteen to begin his trade with the Erie Railroad at Buffalo. A few months with this company, and a like period in the ma- chine shops at the same place suflieed and he went to the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Company, as before stated.
Mr. Diamond's father was for many years an engineer on the Erie and Lake Shore roads, but is now a machinist in the Buffalo shops of the latter company. Ile is fifty-nine years old, was
800
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
born in Ireland and came to America in 1839. Ile removed to Toronto, Canada, after a brief residence in Buffalo, where he resided till his return to Buffalo in 1864. Ilis wife was Mary J. Crisp, daughter of an Englishman and an inn keeper. Four children resulted from this union: J. R., chief elerk of master mechanic, of Toledo division, at Norwalk; Martha and Cora E., unmarried, and residing in Buffalo.
November 24, 1887, our subject married, in Buffalo, Miss Munhall. They are the parents of three children: Ollie M., Clarence W. and Clyde J.
Fraternally Mr. Diamond is a member of Washington Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Buffalo, No. 240, and will participate in the benefits of the A. O. U. W., Harmony Lodge, No. 13, of Buffalo.
J T. McKEE, general baggage agent of the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Company, is a native of the Keystone State, being born in Beaver county, that State, August 4, 1860. He attended the village schools till eighteen years of age, when he em- barked on his railroad career, the exact date being December 27, 1880. IIis first position was baggage-master's clerk in the Union depot at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. From this position he went to the general baggage office in a simi- lar capacity, and in 1882 eame to the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Company as a clerk. In October of the same year hie was made chief clerk of the general passenger agent, in which capacity he served until April, 1893, when he was made general baggage agent.
Mr. McKee's father, II. P. McKee, was a Pennsylvania merchant, born in that State in 1833. Ile died in 1892. The family is ante- Revolutionary with respect to settlement or founding in America, and was from the Scotell IHighlands. Our subject's mother was Martha Tate. Two children were born to her; a daugh- ter, who now lives in Beaver county, Pennsyl- vania, and J. T., our subject.
May 6, 1885, Mr. McKee was married, in Cleveland, to Miss May Quigley, whose father was one of the pioneer men of Summit county, Ohio. Ile is now largely engaged in mining siliea sand in Millington, Illinois.
Mr. and Mrs. MeKee have no children.
7
R R. VAN TINE, one of the proprietors, secretary and treasurer of the Maxwell Blue Stone Company, Cleveland, Ohio, was born in Cleveland, January 29, 1861.
Ilis parents were William HI. and Julia M. (Herriek) Van Tine, of whom specifie mention is made elsewhere in this volume.
Mr. Van Tine was educated in the public schools of Cleveland. On leaving school he came into his father's insurance office, and there remained until 1881. In this year he went in as book-keeper for the Maxwell & MeFarland Company and retained that position six years, when in 1887, he and his brother-in-law, E. II. Purdue, purchased a half interest in the Max- well and MeFarland quarry of Enelid, and formed a stock company with R. II. Maxwell as president and manager, and R. R. Van Tine as secretary and treasurer.
In 1888 Messrs. Purdne and Van Tine bought the interest of R. II. Maxwell, and thereupon Mr. E. H. Purdue was elected president, and R. R. Van Tine secretary and treasurer, the latter having sole management of the business. This company, still known as the Maxwell Blne Stone Company, employ from fifty to seventy- five men throughout the year and do a business spreading well throughout the United States. They make a pecialty of sawed flagging and building trimmings.
Mr. Van Tine has become one of the fore- most young business men of the city, and his business is conducted in as systematic and con- cise a manner as any railway system in the State. Ilis system of keeping accounts of the different departments of his work is the most
501
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
perfect in detail, having a place for everything and everything in its place. He is a member of the Case Avenne Presbyterian Church. ITis residenee is 250 Franklin avenue.
In April, 1882, he married Miss Lonisa Clin- ton, dangliter of E. T. and Kate Clinton, of Philadelphia. Mr. Clinton's father established and built up the renowned Brush manufactur- ing concern, which is now carried on by his two sons, E. T. Clinton, and brother.
The home of Mr. Van Tine and wife has been blessed in the birth of one child, Russell II.
A SAHEL W. STRONG, a popular broker of Cleveland, was born in Cuyahoga connty, Ohio, May 23, 1856. He secured a liberal edneation from the public schools of this eity, but at the age of fourteen engaged in business, becoming an employee of Raymond, Lowe & Company, wholesale dry-goods dealers, conelnding a seven years' service with them in 1877, at which time he took a position with that most worthy and esteemed citizen, J. M. Hoyt, having charge of the real-estate department. In this service Mr. Strong became familiar with every feature of the loan and brokerage busi- ness, and in March, 1893, opened an office in the Cuyahoga building and is building up a gilt-edged profitable business. Ile deals in seleet securities exclusively, making a specialty of municipal, county and State bonds. He makes investments of Eastern capital, and is agent for and carries on business with foreign capitalists.
Mr. Strong is a son of Asahel Strong, born in Homer county, New York, in the year 1800, and seven years later brought into Erie county, Ohio, by his father, Amos Strong, a farmer. Settlement was made in Huron county, where he died.
The Strongs were originally from Massachu- setts. The family was led into " York" State by the great-grandfather of our subject.
Asahel Strong married Polly Ann Poole. Mrs. Strong was born in Massachusetts, 1832,
and died in 1874, two years later than her hus- band. Mr. Strong was twice married before this, his first wife being a Miss Bellnis, and his second wife a sister of his first. His first child, Mary Selina, wife of Charles E. Cole, was by his second wife. The children by the last mar- riage are: F. A., at Duluth, Minnesota, married Clara Parker, and they have three children; A. W., married May 28, 1879, in Cleveland, Minnie A., a danghter of Marvin T. Andrus (see sketch of George W. Andrus herein); A. C., of Duluth, Minnesota, married Carrie Ellen Bassett, of Cleveland.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Strong are: Helen Mabel, born May 22, 1880; Ethel Minne, born November 10, 1883; Arthur Poole, born October 29, 1886, and Paul Asahel, born Jannary 1, 1890.
Mr. Strong and family are members of the Plymouth Congregational Church, of which Sabbath school he is Superintendent.
W D. BARIYDT was born in Sche- nectady, New York, March 31, 1849. He grew up in that beatiful city on the Hudson and spent some little time in school, but only just about enough to aggravate teacher, parents and pupil. He did not like a six-hour daily confinement, and rather than submit to it he decided to look out for his own welfare. Ac- eordingly he ran away from home at the age of fifteen and hired ont to a farmer to care for his garden and horse. Still not contented, he songht employment of the New York Central Railroad and received the position of breakman, running between Albany and Syracuse. He remained with the Central until coming to Cleveland in 1875. Ile was assigned to duty as brakeman on the Toledo division, being made yard-con- ductor, and filling that place until promoted to be yardmaster in 1886, where he has since served.
Mr. Barhydt is a son of John S. M. Barhydt, born in New York State, in 1800, and dying in
802
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
1864. Ile was a prominent contractor of that state, being one of the builders of the Eric Canal. The family is of German origin, the first representative of it in this country being probably Abraham Barhydt, our subject's pa- ternal grandfather.
John S. M. Barhydt married Catherin Light- hall, and their children were: Harriet, wife of Jolin C. Underhill, of Seheneetaday; Nancy, deceased, of Albany; W. D. and Henrietta.
In September, 1884, Mr. Barhydt married, in this city, Minnie Harris. Their children are three: Ada, Grace and Willic.
J AMES P. MCKINSTRY, general manager of the Cleveland Telephone Company, was born, reared and educated in Cleveland. His birth occurred Jannary 15, 1842, and his education was obtained from the public schools. At sixteen years of age he became a messenger boy in the office of the superintendent of the Lake Shore Railroad and performed other work about the building for the company for a period of six months, and during this time Jearned operating. He was stationed at Geneva, Ohio, and from there worked np by degrees to the position of chief operator of the line, and was stationed in this eity.
In 1861 Mr. Mckinstry became an employee of the Western Union Telegraph Company, and four years later was made manager of the same company, with headquarters at Erie, Pennsyl- vania. This relationship existed till his transi- tion from telegraph to telephone service, in 1877, when, at the instance of the Western Union Telegraph Company, he put in the first exchange at Erie. Cleveland put in an ex- change in 1879, and this Mr. MeKinstry practi- cally planned and controlled, although he did not return to the city till the following year. In 1884 Mr. Mckinstry was made general manager of the Northwestern Telephone Ex- change Company, operating exchanges in Min- nesota and the Dakotas. lle was next made
general manager of the Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Company, operating exchanges in Arkansas and Texas. Mr. Mckinstry has been a member of the Society of Electrical Engineers of the State of New York since its organization. Ile is an active member of the Cleveland Electric Club, preparing treatises on branches of this interesting subject and ongag- ing in their discussion, thereby giving the asso- ciation the benefit of his long experience in electricity and electrical appliances.
Mr. MeKinstry is a son of Thomas McKins- try, once chief of police of Cleveland. He was born near Belfast, Ireland, and in 1837 came to the United States and settled in Cleveland. HIe was once special agent of the post-office depart- ment here. He married Eraxena Dodge, born at Plattsburg, New York, a daughter of Simon Newcomb, and our subjeet is their second and only surviving child.
Mr. Mckinstry married in this city, Septent- ber 18, 1862, Emma, a daughter of A. K. Miller, of Erie, Pennsylvania. Their children are: Harry M., with the Cleveland Milling Company; Charles T., manager of the Cleveland Telephone Company; Nellie W., wife of Robert G. Pate, with the same company; Edward, Laura and Scott.
As to fraternities Mr. Mckinstry is a Royal Arch and Chapter Mason, Webb Chapter. He is a Knight of Ilonor and a member of the Episcopal Church.
C APTAIN W. A. COLLIER, secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Vessel Owners' Towing Company, was born in Summit county, Ohio, December 21, 1855.
lle accepted employment in his father's store at eighteen years of age, as salesman, and upon retiring was placed in charge of one of his father's canal boats on the Ohio Canal. Three. years later he took up the tug business in Cleve- land, having come here in 1866. lle first
803
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
managed individual tugs, next one of his own, and finally, in 1892, a consolidation of the basi- ness brought into existence the Vessel Owners' Towing Company, of which he was made gen- eral manager.
Captain Collier is a son of M. J. Collier, de- ceased, who for many years owned and operated a line of boats on the Ohio Canal. He was commissioned a Lientenant at the outbreak of the Civil war, and assigned to the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. Later on he was instru- meutal in organizing the Twelfth Ohio Cavalry, was made its Major, and was so mustered out. He died in Cleveland in 1888. He married in Summit county, Ohio, Miss Bell. The children of this union are: Captain Collier; Hattie L., wife of L. W. Weber; and Emma E., wife of W. C. Lawrence.
December 12, 1878, Captain Collier married, in Cleveland, Lillie G., daughter of George W. Beers, a farmer of Summit county. Their children are: Jessie, Fred, Louis, Lloyd and an infant son.
Captain Collier is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the Royal Arcanum and of the Mystie Circle K. O. T. M., of which order he is trustee local tent. Ile is also grand financial secretary of the Shipmasters' Association, and a member of Cleveland Lodge.
M YRA KING MERRICK, the pioneer woman physician of Ohio, was born in 1825, in Leicestershire, England, in the vicinity of Warwick Castle, a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth King.
ller parents emigrated to America, in 1826, locating near Boston, Massachusetts, and in 1840 settling in Lorain county, Ohio. About 1841 Myra went to Elyria, Ohio, and remained for several years, attending school, and assisting in the support of the family by needle work.
In 1818, Myra King was married to Charles 11. Merrick, and went to New Haven, where for
a year she had a hard struggle consequent upon her husband's illness, and she determined to qualify herself for fighting the battle of life alone. She consequently took a course of lec- tures at Hyatt's Academy rooms in New York, there being no medieal colleges at the time open to women. She then took a course of study at Nicholas Hydropathie Institute, New York, subsequently returning to New Haven, and pursuing a course of study under the well known Professor Levi Ives, of Yale.
The Central Medical College of Rochester, New York, having opened its doors to women, she, in 1851, matriculated at that institution, graduated the following year, incidentally re- ceiving the medal offered by the State Eclectic Medieal Society to the student making the most progress during the course.
In August, 1852, Dr. Merrick came to Cleve- land, Ohio, locating on Miami street, near the market, and commencing the practice of medi- eine, which gradually and steadily increased un- til it became necessary, on account of her hus. band's absence in the army, for her to go to Lo- rain county, to save her husband's lumber from the sheriff's hands.
For two years a hard struggle followed and with the assistance only of her S-year-old son, Dr. Merrick sawed, counted and sold a quantity of lumber, also selling the sawmill. In the intervals of this work she collected supplies for the soldiers and rode miles on professional duty, there being no other physician in that vicinity. She then returned to Cleveland, Ohio, and re- sumed her practice, which continued to increase until it reached large and lucrative proportions, and until she received recognition on every side, and entirely silenced the prejudices and opposi- tion which women physicians encountered.
In 1876, she became president of the Wo- men's Medical College, holding that office until it was merged into the Cleveland Homeopathie College. She was also for a number of years a member of the medical staff of Huron Street Hospital; but what she considered her chief work, and that which will be her enduring mon-
51
804
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
ument, was the establishment in 1879 of the Women's and Children's Free Dispensary, of which she has since been president.
To the institution of this valuable charity the late Mrs. Henry M. Flagler was one of the largest and most interested contributors, and Doctors Kate Parsons and Martha M. Stone have been most untiring and efficient aids to her in the work there successfully prosecuted.
Dr. Merriek has one son, Richard L. Merrick, of this eity. Dr. Merrick enjoys vigorous health, and the years of untiring energy and al- most ceaseless duty she has endured has left but little trace on features, and her successful career may be worthily eited as and notable example of the fitness of women for professional life.
R EV. HARRY P. ECKHARDT is pastor of the Evangelieal Lutheran Church, known as " Christus Kirche," of Cleve- land. Ile was born in Maryland, De- e mber 31, 1866, as a son of John and Margaret (Kilian) Eckhardt, both parents being natives of Germany. The father with his family came to America in 1840 and settled in Baltimore, Maryland. In Germany he had learned the trade of a tanner, which trade he followed in Baltimore. Ile died in IS93, at the age of seventy-two years. Ho died at Baltimore, where his widow still lives, with an unmarried daughter.
The subject of this sketch is the youngest of four children, namely: Louis C., successor to his father's business at Baltimore; Caroline, wife of Frank Siegel, Esq., of Baltimore; Lena, the unmarried daughter with whom the mother now resides; and the subject of this sketch, who was educated at Reisterstown, Maryland. Later he attended Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana, where he completed a classical course in 1886. He then attended Concordia Seminary, at St. Louis, Missouri, and there took n theological course of three years, completing the same in 1889. His first ministerial work
was in his present position. When he became pastor of this church ninety families constituted his congregation and fifty pupils attended the parochial school. Now his congregation con- sists of 190 families, and 225 pupils attend the school and are tanght by one female and two male teachers. Rev. Eckhardt is a member of the Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States.
Hle was married in 1891 to Miss Martha HIanser, daughter of Rev. Hugo Hanser, a prominent clergyman of Baltimore, Maryland, in the Evangelical Lutheran Church. For forty years Rev. IIngo Hauser was a member of the Missouri Synod. He died in 1886, aged abont eighty years. In his synod he was a noted clergyman. He was the father of seven chil- dren, namely: Lena, who is a lecturer on art and is an accomplished and scholarly lady; Rev. Otto Hauser, the second child, is a clergy- man in Connecticut; Ilugo Hanser is a book- keeper in New York city; Rev. Oscar IIanser resides in Wisconsin; the fifth child is the wife of the subject of this sketch; Syna A. Hauser is the female teacher in the parochial schools in the church of which our subject is pastor; the last child of Rev. Hugo Hanser is Freda, who is still of the home circle in Baltimore.
Rev. Eckhardt is a careful and thorough man in all his multifarions relations. Ile is thoroughly devoted to his work and has ever proved himself worthy of the confidenee and responsibility reposed in him by a large, influ- ential and growing church, of which he is the esteemed pastor.
F RED BEILSTEIN, an undertaker at 369 and 371 Central avenue, Cleveland, was born in this city, June 23, 1862, a son of Henry and Eliza Beilstein, natives of Ger- many. Fred received his education and learned the undertaking business in this city. The business was first established by his father in 1844, and in the pioneer undertaking establish- ment in this city. In his social relations, Mr.
800
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
Beilstein is Warden of the I. O. O. F., Presi- dent of the Cleveland Council, and is a member of Woolington Lodge, K. of P., of the I. O. F., the Royal Foresters and the German Order of Hlarugari. Politically, he affiliates with the Republican party.
Mr. Beilstein was married in 1888 to Miss Lydia Louisa Ingraham, a native of New York; her father died when she was quite young. Our subject and wife are members of the Third Presbyterian Church of Cleveland. He is a genial, pleasant and enterprising citizen, and is deserving of the large patronage he now enjoys.
D R. SIGMUND DRECHSLER, Rabbi of the Hungarian Congregation, Bene- Jeshurun, was born in Brezowa, Hun- gary, March 15, 1815, a son of Isaac and Helen Drechsler, natives also of that country. The father was engaged as a woolen merchant in Hungary during his entire life. llis death oc- eurred from an accident, in 1858, at the age of forty-seven years. His wife died in 1873, aged fifty-six years. Both were members of the lle- brew Congregation, of which the father was an officer for many years. They had three sons, our subject having been the only one to come to America. One brother, Colinan, resides in Ilungary, and another, William, died in that country. The father was well and favorably known, and was highly respected as a good citizen. Ile tried to give his children the best possible advantages of the day in education and otherwise.
Sigmund Drechsler, our subjeet, received instructions under the best scholars of his day until his thirteenth year. Only the Talmud and Hebrew branches were taught in the city of his birth. He then spent three years under the great Rabbi, HI. Hanheimer, and was after- ward with the rabbi in Ungwar, where the lat- ter died a few years since. While there he studied only the Hebrew branches and the Tal- mud. llis father died when he was fifteen
years of age, and his first effort in oratory was in giving the funeral oration, which was greatly admired by the large concourse of people pres- ent. All felt his oratorieal future would be very great. Dr. Drechsler then went to Eisenstadt, Hungary, and studied under the great rabbi, Dr. Hilderheimer, who conducted the only rabbi Seminary at that time. He taught Hebrew, German, Latin, Greek and mathematics. Among his assistants were Dr. Wolf and Dr. Coher. Dr. Drechsler remained there seven years, or until he graduated in all the studies, receiving his diploma as an efficient rabbi. Dr. Hilder- heimer is now president of a rabbi seminary in Berlin.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.