Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2, Part 49

Author: Lewis Publishing Company. 1n
Publication date: 1894
Publisher: Chicago : The Lewis publishing company
Number of Pages: 1020


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 49


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72


P ARKE W. STUART, M. D., practicing in Berea, Ohio, was born January 28, [859, in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, where he was reared. He attended the common school and high school of Mt. Clemens and then took a business course in Bryant & Stratton's College at Detroit, afterward tenehing penmanship in that college about two years. Ile then com- meneed the study of medicine in Toronto, Can- ada, completing his course in Detroit, Michigan, where he graduated, at the Detroit College of Medicine, in March, 1886. Dr. Stuart began the practice of his profession in Detroit, after-


767


CUYAHOGA COUNTY


ward removing to Cleveland, Ohio, where he continued for three years. He then came to Berea, where he has since remained and enjoys a fine and growing practice.


Dr. Stuart was married first to Miss Estella May Fuller, at Chesterfield, Michigan. She died while on a visit to her father's home, June 9, 1886, leaving one daughter, Ethel, who died the following September. The Doctor was again married September 29, 1890, in Berea, to Miss Maud E. Hutchings, who was born and reared in Cleveland.


Dr. Stuart is Health Offieer for the township of Middleburg. He has taken an active part in religious work, having united with the Meth- odist Episcopal Church in 1882, and he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Royal Areanum.


C HARLES FREDERIC MABERY, S. D., Professor of Chemistry in the Case School of Applied Science, was born Jan- uary 13, 1850, in New Gloncester, Maine. Ilis ancestors were among the first settlers in the towns of Windham and New Gloucester, and were in active service during the Revolution- ary and subsequent wars. Ile carly engaged in teaching, when nearly prepared to onter college. and during five years he taught in the various grades of the common schools and academies in Maine. When called upon to teach chemistry, natural philosophy and mathematics in Gorham Seminary, he became deeply interested in physical seience, and in 1873 he entered courses of instruction in science in Harvard University.


After teaching one year in Warren Academy, Woburn, Massachusetts, preparing candidates for admission to The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in chemistry and mathematics, ho was appointed assistant tencher in the Harvard chemical laboratory. During the following eight years he developed summer courses of in- struction in chemistry, which were attended by teachers from all parts of the country, and


demonstrated the utility of this system of in- struction, which has since been recognized as a feature of the university training. During this period he received from the university the de- gree of Bachelor of Science and the degree of Doctor of Science, publishing many papers on results of his investigations in chemistry.


In 1883 he accepted a position in the Case School of Applied Science, and he has since de- voted his entire energy to the development of the chemical department in this institution. With the aid and cordial co- operation of the President and Board of Trustees, notwithstand- ing serions interruptions incident to the con- struction of several laboratories, and losses by fire, under his direction this laboratory now of- fers as good advantages for the study of chemistry as those of the older and larger institutions. Since coming to Cleveland Professor Mabery has published numerous papers in pure and ap- plied chemistry, and he is now engaged on an extended investigation of the American sulphur petroleums. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and other seien- titie societies of this country and Europe.


In 1872 he was united in marriage with Miss Frank A. Lewis, whose ancestors were early settlers and influential citizens in Gorham, Maine, several of them serving in the Rovolu- tionary war.


D AVID M. STRONG, well known as Merrick Strong, is one of the well-to-do farmers and highly respected citizens of Strongsville township, Cuyahoga county, Ohio. Hle belongs to a distinguished family of pioneers, of whom we make record as follows:


Joli S. Strong, in honor of whom the town- ship of Strongsville was named, came from Marlborough, Vermont, to Cuyahoga county, Ohio, in 1816. After a short sojourn here he went back to Vermont, and with his family re- turned to the township which has since borne his name. Here he took claim to a large tract


768


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


of land, on which he established his home, and here he lived to the ripe old age of ninety-three years. This John S. Strong was an unele of our subject's father, Retire Grove Strong. The latter was born in Stafford, Connectient, June 25, 1797, and when eighteen years of age came ont to Cuyahoga county, Ohio, and entered the employ of John S. Strong. For two years of service he was to have his choice of a farm in Strongsville township, and accordingly seleeted one in the northern part of the township. lle settled on this farm-the same upon which the subject of our sketch now lives --- in 1819, and here he spent the rest of his life and died, his death occurring May 14, 1859.


Retire Grove Strong was married in this township, June 24, 1819, to Miss Vina W. Whitney, daughter of Deacon Whitney and sis. ter of Flavel Whitney. She was born in Marl- borough, Vermont, June 14, 1802, and died at her home in this township, June 2, 1842. May 5, 1844, Mr. Strong married for his second wife Orra M. Merrill, who survived him a number of years, her death occurring June 9, 1877. In connection with the history of the Whitneys, it should be further stated that Vernica Whitney, a sister of Mrs. Strong, was the only woman in Strongsville in 1816, and her son, Franklin Ilillard, was the first child born in Strongsville township. Retire Grove Strong and his first wife were the parents of thirteen children, seven of whom reached adult age, namely: Marcia A., wife of Robert M. Ashley, died March 30, 1853; Mary D., wife of William II. Ashley, died Sep- tember 5, 1854; Sanford S., who is engaged in farming in Wisconsin; David M., whose name graces this article; Harriet E., wife of Chipman Strong, and, after his death, of E. II. Reed, died November 27, 1880; Vina W., wife of John S. Spencer, died in Edgerton, Wisconsin, March 16, 1888; and Newton G., who is engaged in farming in Michigan.


David M. Strong was born, reared, married, and has spent his life in Strongsville township, Cuyahoga county, Ohio. His birth ocenrred August 22, 1829. Ile was married October 25,


1853, to Miss Almira S. Bryant, who was born in Nelson, New Hampshire, August 20, 1833, daughter of Franeis S. and Betsey E. (Sprague) Bryant, natives of Massachusetts and New Hampshire respectively. They emigrated from the latter State to Ohio in 1833, settled first in Coshocton connty, and eleven years later re- moved to Cuyahoga county and took up their abode in Strongsville township. Ilere both her parents passed away, her father dying Jnly 6, 1856; her mother October 1, 1865. David M. and Almira S. Strong have had five children, namely: Francis G., who died at the age of three years; Charles M., who lived only eleven months; 1Iattie E. is the widow of Dr. F. M. Clark, who died in Salem, Ohio, October 8, 1892; Mary A., who died May 9, 1875; and Arthur B., a gradu- ate of Baldwin University. There are also two grandsons, Ilarlan M. and Russell A., children of IIattie E. and the late Dr. F. M. Clark.


Mr. Strong has all his life been engaged in agrienltural pursuits. He owns a fine farm of of 154 acres, upon which he has made many valnable improvements. In local affairs he has all along taken an active part. For eight years he has served as Township Trustee, and has also filled various other minor offices. Both he and his wife are members of the First Congregational Church at Strongsville. HIe has served as a Deacon in the church for more than a quarter of a century, and for twenty years was the ef- ficient superintendent of the Sunday-school.


Such is a brief sketch of one of the leading citizens of Strongsville township.


H ENRY A. MASTICK .- The subject of this sketch, a leading citizen and a pros- perons farmer of Rocky River Hamlet, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, is a man of wide and diversified business experience, and is most highly esteemed in the community where he has resided for many years and with whose interests he is closely identified.


769


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


Ile was born in Clarendon, Geauga county, Ohio, November 19, 1828, the third in order of birth of the eight children (four sons and four daughters) of the late Colonel Benjamin and Eliza (Tomlinson) Mastick. Benjamin Mastick was born in Ballou's Falls, Windham county, Connecticut, in 1796, and his wife was a native of Derby, the same State, where she was born in the year 1802. After their marriage they emigrated to the western frontier and settled in Geauga county, Ohio, where they remained until 1831, when they removed to Cuyahoga county and settled in that part of Rockport township which is designated as Rocky River Hamlet. There they passed the remainder of their lives; the Colonel died May 14, 1872. Benjamin Mastiek was a man of much ability and prominence, his military title having been conferred upon him in Geauga county, by Governor St. Clair, who commissioned him Colonel of militia. He was a fariner by occu- tion and brought to bear the most progressive methods in the prosecution of operations in this line.


Henry A. Mastick was about three years of age when his parents removed to Cuyahoga county, and here he was reared to manhood, re- ceiving such educational advantages as the lo- cality afforded. On attaining his twenty first year he went to Cleveland and for about twelve years was employed in the post office in that city, proving a most capable and trustworthy official,-a recognition of which faet was his subsequent appointment to the position in Gov- erument employ as railway postal clerk on the route between Buffalo and Toledo, in which ser. vice he was retained during the years 1874 and 1875. Since that time he has given his at- tention entirely to farming, owning about ninety acres of fine land on the Rocky river.


May 10, 1854, in Newark, Licking county, Ohio, he was united in marriage to Miss Ange- lina C. Moull, who was a native of Newark, where she was born Angust 11, 1839, being a daughter of the late George Moull, who was a pioneer resident of Licking county. Mr. and


Mrs. Mastick are the parents of two children: George C., and Fannie E., who is the wife of Harry N. Ravenscroft.


Mr. Mastiek has taken an active interest in local and political affairs and has held many of the more important township offices. Ile sup- ports the principles and cause of the Republican party. In his fraternal affiliations he is promi- nently identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being a member of Rocky River Lodge, No. 236.


F RED C. SMITII .- Among those men, who born and reared to man's estate in Rockport Hamlet have continued their residence in the locality where first they ope'd their wondering eyes, and who have attained to success and honor in the place of their nativity, the subject of this review merits particular recognition. He was born in that portion of Rockport township which is now known as Rockport Hamlet, on the 6th of March, 1858, being the son of Jacob F. and Frances (Wag- ner) Smith (or Schmidt, as the name was orig- inally spelled). The father was born in Wur- temberg, Germany, in 1828, and the mother is also a native of Germany. They were married in Cuyahoga county, and for three years resided in Brooklyn township, removing thence to Rockport township, where the family home has ever since been maintained. Here the father died, April 5, 1891; the mother still survives. They were the parents of six children, namely : Fred C., Frances M., Lonis R., Anna L., Emma E. and William.


The subject of this sketch, the oldest of the children, was reared in Rockport township, re- ceiving his education in the common schools. In 1881 he was apprenticed to learn the car- penter's trade, serving three years and becoming a master of the business. As testifying his par- ticular ability it may be noted that during the laet eighteen months of his apprenticeship he arted as forem in for his employer. He has con-


.


770


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


tinned to follow this important line of ocenpa- tion until the present time and his services have been in ready demand in Roekport Hamlet and vicinity, where many fine struetures stand in evidence of his skill as a carpenter and builder. Since 1884 he has conducted business for him- self and has met with abundant success.


Mr. Smith was married, in Rockport Hamlet, in June, 1886, to Miss Lena Klane, who was born in Cleveland. The father died in Clevo- land, and the mother is still surviving. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of two children: Walter II. and Herman H.


Our subject has maintained an active interest in the general political questions and policies of the day, advocates the principles of the Repub- lican party, and has been prominent in local af- fairs of a public nature.


Mr. and Mrs. Smith are zealous and devoted members of the First Congregational Church of Rockport Hamlet, and in the line of fraternal associations the former is identified with the In- dependent Order of Odd Fellows, being a mem- ber of Amazon Lodge, No. 567.


P ROFESSOR JOHN BOLTON, professor of economics, rhetorie, chemistry, physics, botany and civies in the Cleveland publie schools, was born near Hagerstown, Mary- land, November 4, 1820. Ilis parents were John and Eve (Isiminger) Bolton, natives also of that State. His mother was of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, while his father was of Irish ex- traction. The grandfather of our subject came from Ireland and served in the American navy during the war of the Revolution. By trade John Bolton, Sr., was a millwright, which oecn- pation he followed for some years in Maryland and Pennsylvania. He was Justiee of the Peace in New Haven, Pennsylvania, to which State he moved in 1828. In New Haven he also carried on cabinet making, later was a merchant and linally was engaged in milling. He was one of a company who built a large flouring mill. For


his second wife he married Fanny Gilchrist. lle was a worthy and respected citizen, of deep religious convictions and a member of the Bap- tist Church; his religions principles he strictly carried out in his daily life. Ilis wife, the mother of Professor Bolton, died in 1822, leaving two children: William, who was born in 1818 and died in 1844; and John, the subject of this sketch, who was then but two years of age.


The latter received his early education in the private schools of western Pennsylvania, but is mostly self-educated, and has made his own way in the world. In early life he learned the sad- dler's trade, which he followed until 1850, when he began teaching public and private schools in the Keystone State. In 1843, however, he had taught a private school in western Virginia, near the Pennsylvania State line. In 1851 he taught in Morgantown Academy, then returned to his home in Connellsville, Pennsylvania, and taught in district schools until 1855; in De- eember of that year he removed to Portsmouth, Ohio, where he was employed as instructor in the high school; next was principal of that school until 1865, when he was elected one of the two Superintendents of public schools of that eity; in 1866 he became sole Superinten- dent, which position he held till 1872, when he accepted a call to Cleveland as teacher of ehem- istry and physics in the old Central building. In 1876 he was transferred to the West high school, with which he has ever since been con- nected.


Professor Bolton's teaching has always been of a high order and in accordance with the latest and best approved methods, as he has always kept himself abreast of the times. He has ever been a close student, a keen observer and a great lover of nature and of children. His record has not only been a very creditable but even an enviable one. Ile has now taught con- tinuously for forty-four years, his services have ever been in demand, and his experience as a teacher has been a very remarkable one in this especially, he has never had to hunt for n school. In obtaining situations he has always


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


had a call in advance and the school was ready for him. Ile stands high as an educator, in Cleveland and in both the States of Ohio and Pennsylvania. Ile has been a member of the Ohio State Teachers' Association, and also of the Northeastern Ohio Teachers' Association.


Professor Bolton was married March 16, 1852, to Miss Martha R. MeCune, daughter of Sam- uel MeCano, a highly respected farmer of Fa- yette county, Pennsylvania, of which State Mrs. Bolton also is a native. She taught school in that State, and also in the primary department of the Portsmonth school. The MeCune family on the paternal side, and the Cummings family on the mother's, were of Scotch descent, and early settlers in Fayette county.


Professor and Mrs. Bolton have had three children, two of whom died in early life. The surviving child is W. B. Bolton, one of the leading attorneys of Cleveland. Mrs. Bolton is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of this eity.


C OIIN ROCK, a resident of Cleveland, Ohio, was born in Germany, December 5, 1838. llis parents were Conrad and Barbara (Damer) Rock. The latter, born in 1805, still has her powers of mind and body well pre- served, and is an honored resident of Cleveland. The father, Conrad Rock, a miller by trade, died in Germany, at the age of thirty-eight years. Their children were: Elizabeth, widow of Jacob Herman, on Pearl street; George, a merchant of Paducah, Kentucky, where he has resided for about thirty-five years; John, the subject of this sketch.


. "The latter educated himself as well as he could with the limited opportunities afforded him. At the age of thirteen he left home and first apprenticed himself to become a wood- turner, which trade, however, he found very difficult to learn, as his employer kept him driving the horses, that being the power for the machinery. So, after three months he gave up the attempt and became a boy of all work in a


boarding-house, at $5 per month, and then a waiter in a restaurant. In the spring of 1862 he, in company with I. S. Forbush, kept the Commercial House on Seneca street, and in the fall he bought ont James Wright, of the Wright Ilonse, which he kept until he bought the land at the northeast corner of Woodland and Will- son, and erected the building which still stands upon it.


In the fall of 1867 he opened up a general supply store, which proved a great benefit to the surroundings, as previously they were never within a mile of those corners, and to-day it is like a small town of itself: business places of almost all descriptions located there. In 1869 he bought the Baldwin property at the south- east corner of Woodland, Willson and Kinsman streets, upon which he erected the large brick building in which is located the Woodland Avenue Savings and Loan Association, which proved to be a wonder, having over one and one-half million dollars in six years' business.


The point is called " Roek's Corners," christ- ened so by the neighbors in honor of the found- er of business there, and one can get nearly everything he wants there. This busy place affords an opportunity for the publie to go five different directions by street ears, and the sixth is coming, namely, the Cross-Town Road.


A few years ago Mr. Rock retired from the store he had kept so long, and now it is occu- pied by his nephew, George P. Herman. Mr. Roek is the owner of a large amount of real estate, to which he is giving his attention.


Ile was married in 1865, to Elisa Wabel, danghter of Carl Wabel, of Cleveland. IIer mother, whose name before marriage was Roos, is living with him since the death of her hus- band, who died in 1891; also his own mother, who is nearly eighty-nine years old. The chil- dren of Mr. and Mrs. Rock are nine in number, namely: William G .; John, Jr .; George W .; Eliza, wife of O. T. Loehr; Herman A., Carl, Amelia, Clarence, and Florence Victoria, who was born on Queen Victoria's fiftieth jubilee day.


TT.


CITY AHOGA COUNTY.


Mr. Rock has been a hard worker and has been interested in every improvement or enter- prise in the vicinity. He was the owner of the Woodland Hill Street Railroad, which he after- ward sold to the Woodland Avenue Street Rail- road Company.


In politics he is a Republican. Ile and his wife are prominent members of the First Ger- man Protestant Church.


E C. ANGELL, Councilinan from the Sixth District of Cleveland, is a gentleman of wide acquaintance commercially, socially and politically. This family dates back to old colonial days for its pioneer American ancestor, and discovers him in the person of Nelson Au- gell, who settled in Oswego, New York, and was a machinist by trade. One of his sons, E. C. Angell, enlisted in the colonial army at nine- teen years of age and served till the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown closed that historic epoch, being mustered out with a Colonel's commission. This gentleman in civil life was a blacksmith and passed his life at Oswego. ITis wife was Anna Brown, who bore him eight children, of whom Nelson, our subjeet's grand- father, was the third.


Nelson Angell became a machinist, and was for eighteen years general master mechanic of the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad. Upon retiring he moved to St. Louis, Missouri, and died in 1884, at seventy-five years of age. He married Jane Lasker, of Schoharie county, New York, an aunt of Lientenant-Commander Wright, of the battle-ship Michigan, who died in Key West, Florida. His children were: Henry B., born March 4, 1833, and five others now deceased.


II. B. became a machinist and engineer and came to Cleveland in 1853, February 6. He was a stationary engineer for the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railroad in this city more than forty years.


Mr. Angell married, October 17, 1851, Agnes, a danghter of David Fitzpatrick, who came from


Burlington, Vermont, fifty-eight years ago. By occupation he was a merchant tailor. He mar- ried Matilda Smith and reared seven children.


The children of II. B. Angell are: Mary Jane, wife of C. II. Warburton, ex-general mas- ter mechanic of the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheel- ing Railroad; Nelson, superintendent of C. L. Leach's Works, of New York city; E. C., George W., Henry and John,-all practical machinists of Cleveland; Luella, wife of Peter Lanker, an engineer on the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railroad.


E. C. Angell secured a liberal education from the public schools of Cleveland. At seventeen he entered the shops of the Union Steel Serew Works, and during his apprenticeship studied drafting at night and became quite skillful in that line of work. He was employed as a jour- neyman in the shops of Warner & Swasey three years and resigned to accept the position of tool worker with the White Sewing Machine Com- pany. This position he resigned three years later to take the position of assistant super- intendent of the Standard Lighting Company. In 158- he went to the Standard Sewing Machine Company, and after serving four years as gauge- worker accepted the position of assistant super- intendent with the same company, resigning it in May, 1893, to assist in the founding of a viaduct.


Mr. Angell was born August 7, 1859. Quite early in life he became an ardent Republican, and on attaining his majority became a party leader. Ile was nominated in January, 1892, over two other candidates to the City Conneil by a majority of 705 votes, and was elected by a plurality of 1,360, being 312 larger majority than any other Republican candidate from the Fourth ward, since the organization of the eity. In the council of '92 Mr. Angell was chairman of the committee on lighting, a member of the committee on charities and corrections and ordinances. In 1893 he was chairman of the committee on charities and corrections, a mem- ber of the committee on labor and laborers, and of the committee on harbors. Ile was interested


573


CUYAHOGA COUNTY.


in the passage of the transfer ordinance of 1892, compelling street railways to give transfers, and is interested in the passage of the Russell- Scofield ordinance for street railway purposes. Mr. Angell is most frequently called on to.re- present his constituents as delegate to county and State conventions.


August 19, 1878, Mr. Angell married Miss Neff, a daughter of Phillip Neff, born in this city. Mr. Neff was born here, and was a con- tractor. He died in 1872 at forty-four years of age. He reared six children, five now living Only one child was born to Mr. and Mrs. An- gell: Mildred, deceased October 19, 1891, at nine years.


Mr. Angell is a charter member of the P. S. Lodge, No. 526, Knights of Pythias. Ile is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Post N. C., of Cleveland City Castle; of the No. 23 K. of G. E., and of the Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is a Chapter Mason and one of Oriental Commandery, No. 12, K. T. He is also Past Chief Ranger of S. & L., Lodge 14, and Ohio Division, I. O. F., and member of the Grand Lodge. He is also an active member of the Woodland Club.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.