USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 35
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72
There were two prominent reasons why this was so. First, he was the soul of honor, always do- ing exactly as he had promised to do; secondly all with whom he had business relations had unlimited faith in his knowledge of his busi- ness and in his judgment as to the best methods for obtaining the desired end. Ile was generous to a fault, and no worthy and needy person who made his necessities known ever left him empty-handed.
Mr. Carey left Canada in 1860, going to Ni- agara county, New York, where he songht and obtained employment as a laborer in building railroads, bridges and tunnels, and rising step by step to be " boss of a gang," superintendent of construction, sub-contractor, and finally the leading spirit and active manager of a firm of contractors, widely known both in the United States and Canada. The work of this noted firm is to be found in almost every part of this great country, from the new Croton aqueduct in New York city on the East to the Union Pa- cific Railroad on the West, a large portion of both having been built by Mr. Carey, besides many railroads, bridges, and tunnels between.
On the 28th of February, 1881, Mr. Carey was happily married to Miss Clara Gleeson, who was the daughter of Edmond and Charlotte (Comstock) Gleeson. They had three children, all boys: Le Grand G, born May 25, 1882; James Howard, born June 2, 1886; and Ed- mond M., born September 7, 1888. They are bright boys and are fine representatives of both father and mother. It is said of the father of these boys, D. M. Carey, that for years he had from 700 to 1,200 men in his employ at the same time, and that having once seen a man and heard his name spoken he never forgot either! Le Grand G. scems to possess a similar faculty.
Mrs. Carey was born June 25, 1851, and is a refined and cultured lady, well educated and has a talent that fits her for business. Edmond Gleeson, the father of Mrs. D. M. Carey, was born in 1810, married to Miss Charlotte Com- stock, April 4, 1848, and died October 26,
43
676
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
1854. llis widow subsequently (1859) mar- ried James C. Cleveland, Esq., who was born October 16, 1825, and seemed to be just in his prime. Mrs. Carey and her sons live with Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland on Castle IIill, Independence, Ohio. Mr. Carey was 'drowned at Wheeling, West Virginia, January 14, 1892.
The Wheeling Daily Register of January 15, in a long article discriptive of the sad event, says: " The Register this morning is pained to chronicle the death of an active business man, one of a class whose energy, ability and general attributes made him a valued and valuable inein- ber of the community, and whose loss will be universally deplored. It was characteristic of Dominick M. Carey that death found him in the midst of danger, at a point where he had forbidden his men to go, and that he was en- gaged in the supervision of details for the pro- teetion of the greatest work he had yet under- taken,-the Main street stone bridge-when he was swallowed up in the icy and turbid wa- ters of the stream he had spanned with the greatest stone arch in America. The bridge will stand a fitting monument to the memory of its great bnilder."
The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, of the same date, in an extended article from which we quote, says: "It was reported about the city in the forenoon yesterday that Mr. Domi- nick Carey, of the well known firm of con- tractors building Main street bridge, had been drowned, and inquiry confirmed the awful story! The death of a man of his prominence and use- fulness would have been enough of itself to send a thrill of sorrow through the community, but the special features which attended the sad occurrence made the horror of it almost as great as the sorrow, which was general. The regret for the death of Mr. Carey is as nearly univer- sal as a feeling of sorrow ever was in any com- munity."
A diligent and extended search for the body of Mr. Carey was immediately begun, and after weeks of labor and anxiety it was found, ten-
derly conveyed to Dundas, the place of his birth, and buried by the side of his relatives.
Mr. Carey's mother died April 24, 1894, and sleeps by the side of her son.
(AMES W. DAWSON is one of the repre- sentative citizens of Bedford, and has been for many years identified with her interests. lle was born in the Deminion of Canada, near the city of Toronto, April 30, 1829.
Robert Dawson, his father, was one of the prominent pioneers of this township. He was a native of Stokesley, Yorkshire, England, and there grew to manhood. Ile was united in marriage to Miss Jane Ward, also a native of England, and in 1822 they crossed the sea, taking up their abode in Her Majesty's terri- tory on this side the water. At the end of five years they disposed of their interests and came to the United States, settling in Cleveland, Ohio. Shortly afterward they removed to Twinsburg, Summit county, Ohio, and thence came to Bed- ford township. Here Mr. Dawson purchased 400 acres of timber land, and built a sawmill, one of the first erected in the county. Possess- ing ample means, he was able to fit up the mill with the best improvements afforded at that time, and he employed a large force of men. In addition to his milling interests he developed a fine farm, bringing the land to a high state of cultivation. Here he made his home during his latter years, passing to the "unknown country" at the age of four-score years. Ilis widow died April 27, 1887. There were born to this worthy couple a family of ten children, eight of whom grew to maturity: James W .; John, who died at the age of thirty-two years; Amelia M .; Robert F .; Mary Jane, deceased; Martin B .; George Frederick, who died at the age of twenty-two years; and Dr. T. K., who was formerly Dean of the Cincinnati Medical College. Both the father and mother were reared in the faith of the Episcopalian Church,
677
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
but in later life the mother united with the Disciple Church. Mr. Dawson was a man of untiring energy and commanded success in all business transactions.
James W. Dawson grew from childhood to maturity in the community in which he still resides. In his youth he assisted his father in the labor of the mill and farm, bocoming thor- oughly familiar with both industries. Arriving at mature years he embarked in the nursery business, carrying one of the finest collections of trees and shrubs in this part of the State; he made a specialty of pines and evergreens, buy- ing his supplies from the leading dealers of Canada and Europe. Of late years he has given his attention to agriculture, and owns a well improved farm of 120 acres.
Mr. Dawson was married, at the age of thirty- five years, to Helen S. Bosworth, who was born at Solon, Ohio, a daughter of one of the early settlers of that place. Six children have been born of this union: Dr. W. B .; Carrie B., a music-teacher at Bedford; Emma, wife of E. E. Arnold; Jolm R., J. A. and Ariel. Politically our subject affiliates with the Democratic party. Ile has served as Trustee of the township ten years, discharging his duties with rare fidelity and winning the confidence of all classes of citizens.
S AMUEL GROVES .- The subject whose life history is now under review ocenpies a prominent position in the business and social circles of the Forest City, and it is evi- dent that special attention should be accorded him in this connection. Ilis genealogy traces back to a prominent line of Puritans, who occu- pied distinguished positions in the mother coun- try. Ile himself was born at Dudley, England, December 5, 1855, and the major portion of his life has been passed in the land of his nativity. Ile received a thorough education at a private academy, and after completing his studies served a seven years' apprenticeship as mechanical dranghtsman with Cochrane, Grove
& Company, engineers and iron founders, of Middleborough-on-Tees, devoting special atten- tion to blast-furnace and pipe-founding prac- tice. With this representative concorn he re- mained for a period of twenty-one years, the last fourteen years boing in charge of the pipe- founding department of the drawing office. In 1889 he accepted a position as engineer to the Stanton Iron Works Company, of Derbyshire, his principal work in the connection being the designing of new foundries and the providing of an eighteen-inch pumping set for supplying water to the town of Ilkeston. This inemmn- bency he retained for one year and then deter- mined to make the New World the scene of his further operations. Hle landed in New York, March 14, 1891, and soon engaged with MeIn- tosh, Hemphill & Company, engineers at Pitts- burg, Pennsylvania, remaining in their employ for three months. Ile then removed to Cleve- land, where he accepted the preferment as assistant to Mr. John Walker, mechanical en- gineer of the Walker Manufacturing Company.
Endowed with much natural ability in the line to which he has devoted his attention, and having received the most thorough practical training, he has attained a conspicuous position and a recognition of his abilities in distinguished scientific circles. IIe holds a certificate as a science teacher to the English goverment and is a Fellow of the Society of Science, Letters and Arts, London, England. Since coming to Cleveland Mr. Groves has been elected to full membership in the Civil Engineers' Club, of this city, this being a richly merited recognition of his professional ability.
March 14, 1878, Mr. Groves was united in marriage to Miss Anna Beekwith, a daughter of Emerson B. and Centy D. Beckwith, of London, England, the father holding a position of prominence as an agent for representative estates and landed interests. Our subject and his wife are the parents of five children, whose names and datos of birth are here noted: New- man, born in 1879; Frederick, 1851; Herbert 1885; Samuel, 1888; and Edmond, 1890,
1
678
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
Since uniting. his fortunes with the United States Mr. Groves has identified himself thor- oughly with the interests of the Union and is unswervingly loyal in the support of its laws and institutions. Ilaving become convinced that the policies and principles advanced by the Republican party are for the best interest of the country at large, he has united with that organization and with it casts his suffrage. In his fraternal relations he is most prominently identified with the Knights of St. George, hold- ing the honorable preferment as Adjutant-Gen- eral in that order.
Mr. Groves and his family are members and zealous supporters of the Congregational Church. Mr. Groves is the fortunate possessor of a tenor voice of excellent timbre and fine cultivation, and he holds the position as tenor of the quartet choir of the church of which he is a member, being also an active and effective worker in the Sunday-school. Men of such high attainments and thorough integrity are an acquisition to any community, and our subject and his inter- esting family have already gained a position in the high esteem of Cleveland citizens.
丁 IIOMAS SHEIIAN, superintendent of motive power and electrician of the Cleveland City Railroad Company, was born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, February 1, 1847. Ile attended the schools of Collamer village, and upon leaving them entered the Union Iron Works of this eity to learn his trade. That completed, Mr. Shehan became foreman of the shop, and in 1883 superintend. ent of Bowler's sewer and gas-pipe factory, and improved their molds by designing new ones and getting out patents covering them. In 1887 Mr. Shehan became chief engineer of the Montreal line of steamers plying the lower and upper Lakes. He afterward accepted the posi- tion of superintendent of the Cleveland Elce- tric Motor Company, and in 1891 eamo to the Cleveland City Railroad Company, as superin-
tendent of motive power and electrician, in which capacity he has demonstrated much fitness and adaptability.
Mr. Shehan's father, Daniel Shehan, came to Cleveland in 1846, from county Limerick, Ire- land, his native place. Ile was a blacksmith by trade, and settled in Collamer village. Ile married in Ireland, Margaret McEllegot. Thomas Shehan is the fourth of a family of eight children, five now living. Ile married in Cleveland, February 20, 1893, Mrs. Kate Me- Nally, of Ireland. Their children are Mary, Thomas and Florence. Politically, Mr. Shehan is Democratic on national issues, but liberal in local matters.
II. ATKINSON, a prominent insurance man of the city of Cleveland, has been located in this city since 1863. Ile was born in Toronto, Canada, in 1845, on the 22d of March. Mainly he was brought up in Buffalo, New York, where he received his edu- cation, having been taken to that city by his parents when he was a small child. Ilis youth was spent there and very early in life he was invited into the business world. His father was a business man of considerable reputation, being a contractor. His parents were William and Mary (Bell) Atkinson, and were of English and Scotch nativity, respectively. Our subjeet was one of six children, of whom he is the youngest but one.
When twenty-three years of age, T. II. At- kinson was superintendent of the Ohio Bridge Works, which position he held for five years, then in 1873 he was appointed as the deputy in the Revenue Department of the United States, which he really holds at present. In 1885 he engaged in the insurance business and since that time he has been very active in that busi- ness. Ilo is general manager for the British American Insurance Company, the St. Paul Fire, the Mechanics' of Philadelphia, and other insurance companies. Ile is a stockholder in
T
679
QUY AHOGA COUNTY.
the Merchants' Bank of Cleveland and also holds stock in various other business concerns of the city.
lle is an active Republican in politics, has served as a member of the county executive committee at different times, has been a dele- gate to many of the conventions of his party, has been a member of the city council, of the board of public improvements and has held other positions of honor and trust. Ile is a stock- holder in the Cleveland Athletic Club, having been one of the organizers of that elub, and he also belongs to several other social societies in the city. He was married in this eity on the 17th of September, 1871, to Miss M. B. Harmon.
M YRON C. LONG is the general agent of the United States Mutual Accident Association of New York, which has been represented in this city during the past fourteen years. Mr. Long had been con- nected with this corporation a number of years, and in August, 1893, he was placed in charge of the Cleveland office, through which the entire business of the State passes; there is in this city alone a membership of more than 1,300, and the company is well represented throughout the State.
Mr. Long is a native of the State of Ohio, born in Cleveland, in 1867, a son of A. M. and Etta (Wilbur) Long. The father is now de- ceased; he was an expert accountant and a man of superior qualifications. Myron C. attended the public schools of his native city, where he received a good education. Ilis first contact with the business world in a practical way was as an employee of Chandler & Price, with whom he remained five years; during this time he had charge of a number of men in the milling and tool department of their establishment, where he gave excellent satisfaction as superintendent. Severing his connection with this firm he ac- cepted a position with the Manufacturers' Ac-
cident Insurance Company, assuming the management of this corporation's business in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. At the end of twelve months he became associated with the United States Mutual Accident Association, which he now ably represents. He is a young man of much more than ordinary qualifications and his services have met with duo apprecia- tion.
Ile was united in marriage, April 18, 1888, to Miss Lillie Broadbent. Two children have been born to them, Herbert J. and Helen. Mr. Long is a member of Plymouth Congregational Church, and takes a deep interest in the work of the society. Ile assisted in the organization of the Society of Christian Endeavor in this city, and has acted as both secretary and treasurer of that body.
In private business enterprises Mr. Long has been very successful; he holds stock in some of the manufacturing corporations of this city, and also owns some valuable mining stock. Through perseverance and an energy that knew no fa- tigue he has arisen to a position of financial independence.
W ILLIAM CUBBON, one of the leading and early pioneers of Cleveland, was born in the Isle of Man, in 1816, a son Henry and Ann (Quirk) Cubbon, who spent their entire lives on that island. They were the parents of nine children, of whom our subject is the seventh in order of birth, and the only one now living. Margaret, who was the wife of John Corlett, of Prospeet street, Cleveland, was nine years younger than William. She died April 7, 1894.
After completing a common-school education William Cubhon learned the carpenter's trade in England, where he had moved in 1834. In 1840 he came to Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked for several noted parties in the carpen- tering and contracting business, notably for Daniel Sanford, in the Cleveland boat yard.
680
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
Afterward for a number of years he was a mem- ber of the well known firm of Corlett (Will- iam) & Cubbon, contractors and builders.
Mr. Cubbon made his own start in life, has sneceeded in securing a competence for his de- clining years, and carries the confidence and respect of a large circle of acquaintances. He retired from business a number of years ago. lle is a man of broad and progressive views, and well posted on current events. Ilis politi- cal views are in harmony with Republican prin- eiples, and, although not a politician, has held office. IIe served as a director of the Home for the Poor two terms.
In 1860 Mr. Cubbon was united in marriage with Miss Isabella Quirk, a daughter of Phillip and Elizabeth (Gill) Quirk, natives of the Isle of Man. To this union has been born one daughter, Anna Elizabeth, a graduate of the Cleveland Academy. Mrs. Cubbon is a mem- ber of the First Baptist Church, and her daugh- ter is a member of the Woodland Avenue Presbyterian Church. In his social relations, our subject was a charter member of the Cuya- hoga Lodge, 1. O. O. F., in which he has filled all the chairs but one. lle has contributed in many ways toward making Cleveland a beautiful city, having been a skilled workman in his line. lle occupies a pleasant home on Case avenue, which is one of the most beautiful thorongli- fares of the city.
W ILLIAM JOHNSTON SCOTT, M. D., LL. D., who has been a resident of Cleveland for the past three decades, and who occupies a position of unusual promi- nence by reason of his intellectual attainments and his discriminating ability as a physician and surgeon, stands as one of the representa- tive and most honored professional men of the Forest City, facts that lend particular congru- ity to the consideration of his life history in this connection.
A native of the Old Dominion, that cradle of our national history, he was born in Culpeper county, Virginia, January 25, 1822, the son of John and Mary (Mckinney) Scott, who were of Scottish lineage and both of whom were na- tives of Virginia. The father was a farmer by occupation, though in his earlier life he had followed the cooper's trade. Ile was a participant in the war of 1812, having been stationed at Craney Island, below Richmond. He died in 1836, his widow surviving until 1879, when she passed away at the age of sixty- three years. Both were devoted members of the Baptist Church. They were the parents of five children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the oldest. Of these five children our subject and Thomas Edward Scott, of Knox county, Ohio, are the only survivors.
William J. assisted his father in conducting the work of the farm until he had attained his majority, his educational advantages up to this time having been confined to attending the dis- triet schools. Determined to secure a liberal education, he went to Gambier, Ohio, entering the preparatory department of the Kenyon Col- lege. lle remained at this institution for five years, graduating in 1848, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Immediately thereafter he was appointed a tutor in the college and filled that position most ably and acceptably for a period of two years. During this time he gave especial attention to the study of chemistry, and he passed the winter of 1849-'50 in Cleve- land, where he took a course of lectures at the Cleveland Medical College, subsequently re- turning to Gambier, where for a time he was engaged in the practice of medicine. He was then appointed a professor of chemistry at Jef- ferson College, near Washington, Mississippi, where he remained about two years. In 1853 Dr. Seott returned to Ohio and entered the Starling Medical College, at Columbus, and graduated at that institution with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, having previously received the degree of Master of Arts from Kenyon Col- lege.
681
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
Locating in Franklin county, Ohio, he en- tered upon the active practice of his profession, and in 1861, upon the precipitation of the late Civil war, he became recruting officer and med- ical examiner. He also lent effective assistance in recruiting the Third Battalion of the Eight- centh regular Infantry. Within the winter of 1863-'64 the Doctor returned to Cleveland, having been appointed professor of materia medica and therapeutics at the Charity Hospi- tal College, which subsequently became the medical department of Wooster University. This professorship he retained until the winter of 1865-'66, when, upon the reorganization of the medieal department of the Western Reserve University, he took the chair of principles and practice of medicine. From that date until the present time he has been continuously con- nected in some important capacity with this well-known medical institution.
In the summer of 1864 Dr. Scott was ap- pointed by the Governor of Ohio a visitor to the military hospitals at Lonisville and Nash- ville. In the spring of 1865 he removed his family to Cleveland, where he has since resided, being engaged in the practice of his profession and standing forth as one of the most able and popular practitioners in the city. His patron- age is one of distinctly representative order and he has ever kept pace with the magnificent de- velopment and scientific advances made in the line of his profession, being a close student and a discriminating judge in regard to the value of theories presented and methods advocated.
He retains a membership in the American Medical Association (of which he has been presi- dent), the American Pharmaceutical Association, the Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, and the Cuyahoga County Medical Association.
October 25, 1885, Dr. Scott was united in marriage to Miss Mary Stone, a daughter of the late Nathan Stone, of St. Johnsville, Vermont, and of their four children only one survives, namely, Dr. Nathan Stone Scott, of whom per- sonal mention is made in the paragraphs imme- diately following.
In his profession Dr. Scott has attained a high reputation, the direct result of his unmistak- able ability and rare discernment, and eminently befitting a man of his known erndition. The respect in which he is held by the citizens of Cleveland stands in lasting honor of his profes- sional precedence and his honest worth of char- acter.
N ATIIAN STONE SCOTT, M. D., son of Dr. William J. Scott, concerning whom individual mention has been made in the paragraphs immediately preceding this, has followed in the footsteps of his distin- guished father in adopting medicine and surgery as his life profession; and it is but natural that with the careful and painstaking direction under which his studies and researches have been pur- sued, and the nnexcelled advantages which have been offered hin, he should have risen as he has to a position of prominence in his profession, and to a point of recognition as one of the most capable and thoroughly informed physicians in the Forest City,-a young man of pronounced and admirably applied ability.
He was born in Shadesville, Franklin county, Ohio, June 16, 1863, and received his literary education at Oberlin College, and then com- meneed the study of medicine under the direc- tion of his father. He afterward completed the course of study in the Medical Department of the Western Reserve University, and after his gradnation spent one year as honse physician of the Cleveland Maternity Hospital. He then passed one year abroad, for the purpose of per- fecting himself in surgery. During this year he spent much time in Paris, Berlin, Vienna and London, gaining most valuable knowledge and practice in the hospitals of these cities.
Returning to Cleveland in the spring of 1891, he entered upon the active practice of his pro- fession in partnership with his father, and in the following fall was appointed lecturer on osteology in the Medical Department of the
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.