USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > Memorial record of the county of Cuyahoga and city of Cleveland, Ohio, pt 2 > Part 26
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72
Rev. John J. Walker is the second in a fam- ily of four children, namely: Katie, the wife of Andrew Schantz, of Michigan; John J .; Han- nah, wife of Henry Ruchs, of Michigan; and Julia, wife of Michael Heier, a resident of the same State. Our subject attended the public schools in the vicinity of his parental home in Michigan, and was thus enabled to secure a
fair common-school edneation. The reading and writing of German were taught him at home by his parents, who were quite thorough German scholars. In his youth and early man- hood Rev. Walker's summers were passed in farm work, while in the winters he was enabled to attend school. Subsequently he was a teacher in a parochial school at Lisbon, Michigan. In 1×70 he entered Concordia College, a theological seminary of the Lutheran Church, at St. Louis, Missouri, and there graduated in December, 1872. He then became pastor of a German congregation in the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Jefferson City, Missouri, where he also tanght a parochial school in connection with his church work. There he remained until the summer of 1875, when he accepted a charge at New London, Wisconsin. Here he cared for six different congregations, seattered in two different counties, and during his stay here he organized three new congregations. And in addition to this he also assumed the burden of teaching the parochial school, giving this work his personal attendance for a period of ten years, and teaching both German and English. During his stay in Wisconsin he made several missionary tours into the copper and iron regions of the Lake Superior distriet, which resulted in the establishment of a new pastorate for this district at Marquette,
Michigan.
In 1885 he accepted a call from the congre- gation of St. Matthew's Church, of Cleveland, and in this field he has ever since labored zeal- ously and effectively. When he accepted the pastorate of this church the representation of families in the congregation was 140; the num- ber has been increased until at the present time the membership comprises 275 families. The parochial school maintained by this congrega- tion originally employed one teacher, the pastor assisting in teaching until the second teacher was called. At present three teachers are re- tained, teaching both German and English, and the school has increased in membership as rapidly as has the congregation. The pastor
618
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
now confines his duties in connection with the school to a general supervision of the work. He is a member of the German Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States.
The Rev. Mr. Walker was married May 19, 1873, to Miss Kate Freyermath, daughter of lohn and Carolino Freyermuth. She is a native of Iluron county, Ohio, but her marriage to Mr. Walker was consummated at Grand Rapids, Michigan, near which city her parents are still residing. She is the second in a family of five children. Mrs. Walker's parents, John and Caroline Freyermuth, were born in Ger- many, and came with their parents from the fatherland to America, when he was nine and she five years of age. In 1865 they settled in Lowell, Kent county, Michigan. Our subject and his estimable wife are the parents of five children: John C., who holds a position as clerk in a large wholesale establishment of Cleveland, and who is a young man of good habits and mneh promise, respected and es- teemed wherever he is known; Ilenry W. is at present a student in Concordia College, at Fort Wayne, Indiana; Lonis F. died in the fourth year of his life; Katie is in school; and Lucy, the youngest, is but a few months old.
Rev. Mr. Walker is a man of more than ordinary ability as a clergyman, having been a close student and a practical worker. He has collected a very valuable library and has a very broad general information. He has long since reached a position of distinction in his profes- sion and is a conspicnous figure in the work of his church. He is beloved as a pastor and es- teemed as a devout Christian, and his life work has resulted in much good to his fellow-men.
R EV. JOSEPH LE HALLE, Rector of St. Ignatius' College, Cleveland, Ohio, Superior of the Residence and Prefect of Studies, was born in Germany, in the Rheinish Provinces, January 31, 1815. Ile Was educated in Prussia, Belgium and Austria.
He then went to England and there became a priest. IIe labored for a short time in different missions, then went to India and worked there for eight years, as professor in St. Xavier's Col- lege in Bombay. For several years in sneces- sion he was appointed Examiner for the Uni- versity degroes in classical languages. Next he served as sceretary to the Archbishop, who is at present Archbishop of the island of Mauritius, at Port Lewis. Father Le Halle's health fail- ing, he was compelled to leave India. He then went to Holland, and after a short stay came to Buffalo, New York, arriving in 1886, and for seven years was Professor and Prefect of Studies there in the Canisius College. Hle came to Cleveland in June, 1893, and was at once elected to his present position.
The school numbers about 200 students. It was founded about seven years ago, and is in a flourishing condition. It is incorporated and has the full rights and privileges of a university. The last graduating class numbered about ten. The curriculum of the college is extending and growing more varied, and will continne so to do.
President Le Halle is a man of broad enl- ture and ripe scholarship, and of an experience gained by travel and an extensive acquaintance with the ways and doings of many different parts of the world, and varied phases of human life. He is most eminently qualified for his high position, and will doubtless prove himself the right person in the right place. He is genial, pleasant and companionable.
VICTORIAN SHEPPARD was born in Bavaria, February 14, 1848. He began his studies in Augsburg, Germany, where he continued for eight years. He then entered the order of the Jesuits in Gorheim, Hohenzollern. After two years he left the college for Munster, West- phalia, to study humanities and rhetoric. lle then spent three years in the study of philoso- phy, when he went to college in Feldirk, Aus- tria, remaining one year. He was ordained priest in 1881, in Ditton Hall, Lancashire, Eng- land, by Bishop O'Reilly, of Liverpool. He
Henry W. Coit.
E
619
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
then became missionary to Jamaica, going in 1882. There he spent four years of missionary life, but was obliged to quit the country on aceount of ill health. Ile came to New York in 1886 and spent several months in the hos- pital, recruiting his health, and then went to Buffalo, New York, where he served as pro- fessor of commercial law. He remained there four years, when in 1890 he was transferred to Cleveland, where he teaches the same study, in St. Ignatius' College.
H ENRY II. COIT, deceased .- The State of Connecticut has furnished excellent men as pioneers on the Western Reserve, but perhaps none are more worthy of an honorable mention in connection with the early settlers of Cuyahoga county than the subject of this memoir. Ile was born in Norwich, that State, in 1791. 1Tis father, Daniel Lathrop Coit, was a member of the Western Reserve Land Company. At the delivering up of the Connecticut Land Company's lands, the whole of the township of Liverpool, Medina county, 1,000 acres in Enelid (now East Cleveland) and about as much in Lorain county, belonged to D. L. Coit, a member of the company; and as an agent for him Colonel II. II. Coit, almost a boy, from a connting-room in New York, came to Liverpool about 1814, when there were only seven families in the township, and established salt works and a country store and cleared a large farm, all of which he sold about 1830. Ile then came to Enelid (now East Cleveland), bought a place at Collamer village on Euclid road, and soon after began to improve his 1,000- acre tract on the lake shore, where Mr. Coit's present residence is, five miles east of Cleveland and surrounding "Coit Station " of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad.
Mr. D. L. Coit made salt at Salt Springs be- Tore the Erie canal was built, and at that time salt was very expensive, selling frequently for over $20 per barrel. He did an extensive and
paying business for many years, encountering all the hardships and deprivations incident to Ohio pioneer life. In order to convey his salt kettles, for which he paid $60 apiece, he was obliged almost to build the road from his resi- deuce to Pittsburg. He subsequently sold his entire salt works. Colonel Coit and a Mr. Stanislaus were instrumental in importing a German colony to Liverpool, Medina county, many of whom are still honored and respected citizens of that locality. At a later date Mr. Coit gave the agency of the Connectient Land Company into the hands of Mr. Stanislans, who was an enterprising, worthy and respected resi- dent of Medina county.
About 1828 Colonel Coit located'in Euclid township, now East Cleveland, Cnyahoga county, and purchased the beautiful farm where he lived many years. Having a natural taste for horti- culture and floriculture, his farm and grounds were soon the admiration of the people of the surrounding country. lle not only set forth a good and worthy example in making the desert blossom as the rose, but, by industry, intelli- gence and thrift, raised the standard, inducing others to do the same, which noted change added greatly to the appearance of the neighborhood. Ile introduced and cultivated the very best fruits and vegetables of all kinds. Later, Mr. Coit purchased the splendid property on the lake shore, which is still in the possession of the family. This property has become the most desirable summer resort on the lake, and has been the leading attraction of the city for many years. Mr. Coit took special pride and pleasure in extending the courtesies of his mansion and beautiful grounds to his friends. Hle was a man of chaste life and habits, efficient in ser- viee, of irreproachable character, and of a gen- tle and loving disposition. Ile departed this life at Newark, New Jersey, while on a visit to his daughter, October 15, 1870, at the age of eighty years. IIis wife, Mary (Breed) Coit, died March 18, 1856, aged sixty years. She was a warmhearted Christian, a woman of rare intelligence and of great devotion to the wants
620
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
of her family and friends. All who knew her cherish her memory with grateful affection. Mr. and Mrs. Coit had five children, namely: Charles B., the eldest in order of birth; Will- iam II., a resident of Euclid township, now East Cleveland, was married in 1856 to Miss Harriet B. Fairfield; Elizabeth, also of that township, is the widow of Samtnel HI. Kirby, formerly a merchant in New York city, and later in Cleveland; Maria, deceased in 1876, at the age of forty years, was the wife of a Mr. Kirby; and Mary, wife of Rufus C. Holmes, of Connectient. Mr. Coit was generous in thought, liberal in word, prompt in action, which, com- bined with an casy adaptability to circumstances and a kind, good nature, ingratiated him into the good will of those who had the good fortune to know him.
C HIARLES B. COIT .- Among the beauti- ful and elegant places of resort along the banks of the lake, surrounded by the many luxuries of life which suggest not only the wealth but the rare taste and culture of the owner, is the home of our subject. Ile was born in Medina county, Ohio, in October, 1820, a son of Henry II. and Mary (Breed) Coit, na- tives of Norwich, Connecticut. After arriving at a suitable age Charles and his brother, Will- iam Henry, were sent to Connecticut, where they attended the comnon schools for a time at Norwich. After returning to Ohio, they en- tered the Western Reserve University, also Shaw's Academy. After completing his educa- tion, Mr. Coit spent several years in traveling, having made a trip to lowa on horseback. Hle finally returned to this State, located on a farm five miles cast of Cleveland, cleared a tract of eighty acres where he now resides, beautified his grounds, and his place soon became thronged with visitors in summer seeking a cool and shady resort. In 1876 he erected a hotel to ac- commodate those who might come, but the build- ing was afterward burned. In 1886 he built
his present hotel, which is beautifully located, being less than a quarter of a mile from the lake, and less than one-half a mile from the terminus of the St. Clair street car line. There are few places on Lake Erie so well located or with more lovely scenery and surroundings, or with better accommodations than is afforded in this summer resort. Mr. Coit has made a prac- tical application of the most intelligent methods in the raising of ornamental shade trees.
In political matters, our subject casts his vote in accordance with the principles of the Repub- lican party. Religionsly, he is a member of the Presbyterian Church. As a worthy and en- terprising citizen, aiding in every way the im- provement and development of his chosen coun- ty, Mr. Coit occupies a prominet place.
R EV. NICHOLAS A. MOES, Rector of St. Mary's Theological Seminary of Cleveland, was born in the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg in 1844, a son of Peter and Elizabeth (Sand) Moes, natives of Germany, where the father was a teacher for many years. The father died in 1879, at the age of seventy- four years, his wife having preceded him in death a few years, in 1873.
The subject of this sketch received his early education in Germany, at the College of Lux- emburg, and in 1860 he came to America, set- tling in Cleveland, where he continued his class- ical education in St. Mary's College. Later he finished his theological education in St. Mary's Seminary at Cleveland, completing the course in 1866. lle was ordained priest in Cleveland in 1867. Ile had charge of a parishi on Kel- ley's Island for one year; he was then located at Napoleon, Henry county, Ohio, where he re- mained until September, 1870, when he accepted his present position, as described in the outset of this brief sketch, and which position he has since held with marked acceptability.
St. Mary's Theological Seminary, of Cleve- land, was established by Bishop Rappe in 1849,
621
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
and from that day to this the school has always been attended with success. The object of this school is the preparation of priests for the dif- ferent parishes, and workers for the different departments in this, the Cleveland Diocese of the Catholic Church. The number of students varies, but the school has been of much value, and much good has been accomplished in the preparation of those intended to do church work, and its objeet has been fully met.
Rev. Moes has proved himself a man well fitted for the position of rector of this school, and much valnable work has been done by him in this position. He is recognized as a seliolarly gentleman, as a successful educator and in every way an accomplished man. lle is assisted by three professors, namely: Rev. J. A. Te l'as, Rev. J. T. O'Conner and Rev. M. Murphey.
In 1878 the Rev. Moes returned to Germany, where he visited for two months. In his native land he had two brothers, who were priests in Luxemburg, they being Rev. Michael and Rev. John Moes. They were able and zealous priests, and though long since deceased are yet held in affectionate remembrance.
J T. SMITHI, physician and surgeon, Col- linwood, Ohio, was born in Ilartford county, Maryland, November 30, 1830, the son of Rev. John T. and Esther S. (Cheney) Smith, natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania respectively. The father was a minister in the Christian Church from early life, and was asso- eiated with Alexander Campbell, and other no- table lights of that faith. lle emigrated to Ohio with his family in 1842, and became widely known as a faithful and efficient mis- sionary. Ile died at the age of fifty-seven years, his funeral sermon being preached by the lon. James A. Garfield, who was then State Senator. Esther S. Smith died at Iliram, Ohio, in 1874, aged sixty-five years. She was a woman of rare traits of character, and to her zeal is due much of the success that crowned
her husband's efforts. They reared a family of seven children: Edith, widow of David Rol- ins; Dr. J. T., the subject of this notice; Will- iam II., who served in the late civil war, was taken ill at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, and finally died in August, 1863, aged thirty years; Frances Choney was for a number of years matron and nurse in the Children's Hospital, Staten Island, New York; she accompanied Mrs. Dr. Lukens to Europe as private seere- tary, filling the position with great taet and judgment; Hettie J. is the wife of Dr. Clark of Youngstown; John II. served three years in the late war, enlisting in 1861; he returned home Angust 4, 1863, and September 4, 1864, passed to the unknown country; Rev. Clayton C. is an able clergyman, now secretary of the board which has for its object the education and evangelization of the colored people of the South.
Dr. Smith received his elementary education in the common schools, and began the study of his profession under the guidance of Dr. Justin Hlayes at Shalersville, Ohio. He afterward en tered the medical department of the Western Reserve University, at which he was graduated in 1855, and immediately thereafter engaged in practice in Kent, Ohio; thence he removed to Warren, where he was residing when the dark war cloud spread like a pall over this land. Ile enlisted in 1861 as assistant surgeon of the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and in May, 1863, was promoted to the position of surgeon of that regiment. In July, 1864, he was de- tailed surgeon-in-chief of the Second Brigade of the Third Division Cavalry Corps of the Army of the Potomac, and in the spring of 1865 he was promoted to the position of Sur- geon-in-chief of the Third Division of Cavalry of the Middle Military Division, which he filled until the elose of the war. He was thus a mem- ber of General Custer's staff, as the latter was in command of the division.
He returned to his home and was engaged in practice, but afterward returned to the South for the purpose of raising cotton. In 1869 he
622
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
was appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the Second District of Mississippi, an office he held four years. During this time he was appointed and commissioned Brigadier General of the Militia of Mississippi. He was connected with the Mississippi Valley & Ship Island Railway Company as president for two years. In 1875 he returned North and located in Col- linwood, where he has resided with the excep- tion of fourteen months in Arizona, and seven- teen months in California.
He was married December 13, 1855, to Miss Maria A. Ramsay, a daughter of John S. Ram- say. Mrs. Smith died March 26, 1894, leaving three children: C. W., John Claton and Mat- tie. She was a member of the Christian Church from girlhood, while Dr. Smith belongs to the Church of God; he was a member of the Chris- tian Church until 1877. He belongs to the A. O. U. W., the G. A. R., Brongh Post, and in politics is a Republican with strong prohibi- tion tendencies.
Dr. Smith was in the prime of life when onr nation was making history. Ile was a con- spienons figure in the Reconstruction period in the South, and was prominently identified with that phase of history.
The following from Lucius P. Woods, Act- ing Staff Surgeon of the U. S. Army, Surgeon in Chief of the Third Cavalry Division, is a glorious tribute to his worth. It says:
" Headquarters Third Division Cavalry Corps, January 7, 1865. I have known Joseph T. Smith, Surgeon of the Second Ohio Cavalry and Surgeon in Chief, First Brigade of this Di- vision, intimately since his regiment joined this command last May. Ile is a gentleman and a superior medical officer. IIe has per- formed more duty for the benefit of the sick and wounded of his command, during the time he has been connected with the division, than any other medical officer; while as an operating surgeon, I know of no one more skillful in the use of the knife than he.
" I can heartily recommend him as being in my opinion capable of satisfactorily perform-
ing the duties of any position in the medical department of the army, in the field or in the U. S. hospitals.
"The subject of personal bravery is one rarely mentioned in papers of this character by me, but I do not praise when I say that this officer has always done his duty, and he has so done the same under fire, and during the many engagements of the past campaign, as to deserve and receive commendations from the command- ing generals and other officers of the Third Cavalry Division."
Under the same date Major-General J. D. Cox gives testimony of equal force and merit to the above, showing the high esteem in which Dr. Smith is held by those who know him best.
EONARD FISII, a gardener and an honored resident of Brooklyn township, was born in this township, on the farm where he now lives, September 5, 1834, the seventh of the eight children of Daniel and Matilda (Chester) Fish. He graduated at Bry- ant & Stratton's Business College, making his home with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, when he went to Minnesota and entered 160 aeres of land from the Government in one county and eighty acres in Brown eounty of the same State. After remaining there about five months he sold his land, to good ad- vantage, and went to Wisconsin and attended college there three months. Returning to his native place, he engaged in gardening, on the old homestead, where he now lives and owns a fine residence, which he built in 1873, at a cost of about $3,000. Hle also owns property in Brook- lyn village.
December 24, 1863, he married Miss Clarissa Brainerd, a native of Brooklyn township, born March 26, 1842. Iler father, Willard Brainerd, a native of Connectient, was an early set- tler in this county. Her mother, whose name before marriage was Harriet Young, was also a native of Connecticut and was only one year
623
CUYAHOGA COUNTY.
old when her parents moved to this county; and she is still living. Mrs. Fish is the sixth of their seven children, and a twin of Carlos, who died when an infant. Mr. and Mrs. Fish are the parents of three children, namely: Edith May, who died at the age of six years; Ilattie, who is now attending Ballwin Uni- versity; and William E., the eldest child, now resides in Brooklyn township.
Mr. Fish has a nice little farm of thirty-six acres near the city corporation line; is a Re- publican, and has been a member of the I.O.O.F. ever since he was twenty-one years old; being a zealons temperance man, he is also a member of the 1. O. G. T., and having had an army ex- perience, he is a member of Brooklyn Post, G. A. R. Ile was in the Eighth Independent Battery, Ohio National Guards, serving six months as a private, being a No. 1 man on the gun.
R EV. PETER F. SCHNEIDER, Treas- nrer and Financial Agent of the Ger- man Wallace College at Berea, Ohio, was born in Hohensolins, Prussia, Oeto- ber 12, 1825. He came to America with his parents in 1834, landing at Baltimore, Mary- land, and came in a wagon to Wheeling, West Virginia, from Wheeling to Mansfield, Ohio, and thence to Crawford county, this State, where his father, John Schneider, bought 160 aeres of timber land, which he cleared.
lle was reared to manhood in Crawford county, near Galion, attending the common schools, until he was sixteen years of age. llis father was an educated man and he taught his children in the evening. From his father young Schneider received his German educa- tion, as there was no German school in that section at the time.
In 1848 he commenced preaching as an as- sistant to Rev. C. II. Iloevner, a very able Methodist minister connected with the Delaware and Galion mission of the Ohio Conference.
After one year thus engaged he labored for a year in the Lower Sandusky mission, and the year following was put on the Woodville cir- cuit, embracing the city of Toledo, where he served one year. Hle bought the first German Methodist church building in Toledo and or- ganized the church, with sixteen members. From Toledo he was sent to Sandusky City, Ohio, for one year; and thenee to Cleveland, where he remained two years; from Cleveland to Detroit, Michigan, where he remained six years, four years of that time serving as Pre- siding Elder, on the Michigan district; thence to Delaware, Ohio, for two years, when he was returned to Toledo, where he built a new church and parsonage and remained three years; then was stationed at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, three years. Ile was next stationed at Evans- ville, Indiana, for three years, and was Presid- ing Elder of the Louisville District for two years. In 1873 he came to Berea and most of the time since has been pastor of the German Methodist Church. From 1873 to 1883 he was vice president and treasurer of the German Wallace College, and since 1883 has been finan- cial agent and treasurer.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.