The romance of Norwalk, Part 18

Author: Danenberg, Elsie N. (Elsie Nicholas), 1900-
Publication date: 1929
Publisher: New York City, States History Co
Number of Pages: 568


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 18


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40


DRAWBRIDGE CATASTROPHE


Hurled to their death in the swirling waters of the Nor- walk river when the train on which they were traveling across the South Norwalk bridge, rushed into an open draw, 44 persons were killed and 25 were injured, in the most disastrous railroad accident which had up to that time oc- curred in this country, on the morning of Friday, May 6, 1853. The facts in the case gathered from the Bridgeport


NOT WALK


MAY 61853


RAILROAD DISASTER, 1853


Unmindful of warning signals, a passenger train on May 6, 1853 dashed across the open draw of the South Norwalk bridge, hurling many to their deaths.


223


TRANSPORTATION


Farmer of May 16 and 17, 1853 and printed in Hurd's "History of Fairfield County" are as follows :


"The train was the Boston express which left New York at 8 a. m. The New York and New Haven railroad crosses the harbor of Norwalk at South Norwalk, 1086 feet east of the depot. On the bridge over the channel of the harbor, and 153 feet from the next abutment there is a draw, which revolves horizontally upon a central abutment, and leaves, when open, two passages of 60 feet each. The bridge was under the care of William Harford, who was in the employ of the company as a bridge tender.


"At the time of this occurrence the draw was open, and the draw tender was just about to close it. It had been opened about fifteen minutes before for the passage of the steamer 'Pacific.' The fact of the draw being opened was communicated to the train by a signal, which consisted of a red ball elevated upon a pole. Unless this ball was in sight, the trains were forbidden to go upon the bridge. The train did not stop at Norwalk, and being about eight minutes late, was hurrying on its way to make up lost time. The engineer was at his post, the conductor in the second passenger car, and unoccupied. The absence of the ball or signal was unnoticed, or if noticed, was unheeded.


"The train passed the depot and around the curve at a speed not less than 20 miles an hour. When it reached within 300 feet of the draw, two sudden sharp alarms of the whistle were blown; the engineer Edward W. Tucker, the fireman and the brakeman leaped from the train, which rushed on into the open draw. The engine, tender, baggage car, smoking car and two passenger cars, together with about half of the next car, plunged some 20 feet into the watery pit below in one mass of wreck and ruin. Persons who were near and saw the catastrophe say that the noise of the crash and the wail of the struggling and dying pas- sengers were heartrending to a degree which language is utterly inadequate to describe.


"The water being at full tide, nearly all in the forward


224


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


car were drowned. The number of lives lost was 44, and 25 were rescued from the wreck alive but badly injured. The calamity caused great excitement and indignation meet- ings were held, one at Norwalk and another at New Haven. The legislature took the matter into consideration and adopted a resolution requiring all trains to stop at least one minute before passing any draw."


The drawbridge catastrophe was not the only train dis- aster to claim numerous lives in Norwalk. For years the trains ran through the streets of the city, flat on the ground, there being many grade crossings, sometimes protected by bells or gongs, more often not protected at all. One of the worst of these grade crossings passed through the center of South Norwalk, straight across Washington street, but on the ground. Accidents were frequent, loss of life great. Appeal for relief was made many times to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Co., the residents desiring that the tracks be raised off the street. For some time the ap- peals met with no response. The company had already been put to a great deal of extra expense while laying the rail- road through the city and was not on the lookout for any more. It should be recalled that in the beginning, when the company drew the plans for the road through this sec- tion of the country, the tracks were to run across East Nor- walk and down through Norwalk. But the "uptown" resi- dents protested violently, for they didn't want the dust and noise. So the company was forced to bring the rail- road lower down, through East Norwalk and across into South Norwalk, a plan not at all to its liking for it neces- sitated the building of a great bridge across the Norwalk river from East to South Norwalk, which would not have been necessary through the Norwalk route.


It was not until 1895 that the railroad tracks in South Norwalk were raised. The date could plainly be seen, cut in the bed of the east bound platform until two years ago, when the platform received another coat of gravel and tar. Today, express trains carry Norwalkers into New


225


TRANSPORTATION


York in just one hour. Throughout the year there are a great many commuters whose number is augmented by several hundred during the summer months.


ยท BANKS-CHURCHES


CHAPTER XXII


i


Early Banking Transacted In General Store-Present Banks In Norwalk-First Catholics-Congregational and Baptist Churches - Mormonism - Episcopal Churches-Hungarian Institutions-Other Churches


WHILE stage coaches were replacing wagons; trains, stage coaches; and steamboats, sailboats, Norwalk was growing rapidly. In 1824, town leaders decided that the commun- ity had grown sufficiently large to support a bank, and in that year, the Fairfield County Bank, organized under state law, came into being.


"Prior to 1824," wrote Eben Hill in "Norwalk 250 Years Ago" in an article on banking, "changes of money were ef- fected at the stores of dealers and loans were obtained from the more provident or more fortunate individuals in the community. Thus we find about 1800, that the firm of Eliph- alet Lockwood and Son was to a great extent the bank for Norwalk and vicinity. This firm had its store near the east end of the bridge in old Norwalk. It was largely engaged in the West India business, sending out in its own vessels, live stock, horses, manufactured lumber and so forth, and importing sugar, molasses and all West Indian products. Agents were located throughout the county and nearby towns in New York state and a large business transacted. The farmers and business men were quite generally accommo- dated with loans of money, notes being taken usually with- out security, the amounts being ordinarily from $50 to $200."


226


227


BANKS-CHURCHES


NORWALK BANKS


When the Fairfield County Bank was organized in 1824, Henry Belden was first president. In 1865, the institution became the Fairfield County National Bank. Later, with the Central Trust Co., it merged into the present Central Fairfield Trust Co., now at 59 Wall st. The second in- stitution to be organized was the Norwalk Savings Society in 1849 with Clark Bissell as president. The first deposit was made October 9, 1849 to the amount of $30. The bank is now at 48 Wall st. Albert R. Malkin is president.


Other banking institutions in Norwalk in their order are : Bank of Norwalk, organized in 1857 with Ebenezer Hill as first president. The bank reorganized as a national bank in 1865 and is located at 51 Wall st. George L. Woodward is president. The South Norwalk Savings Bank was first known as the Mechanics Savings Society, when incorporated June 23, 1860. It changed to its present name in 1869. D. K. Nash was first president. From 1868 to 1875, busi- ness was carried on in a drug store on North Main st. The bank is now housed at 135 Washington st. Alden Solmans is president. The First National Bank of South Norwalk, organized in 1864, was the first in town to organize under the Civil War measure establishing national banks. E. A. Beard acted as president during the organization, then L. H. Moore was named president. Russell Frost was the last president serving until the windup of the bank in 1901. In that year the South Norwalk Trust Co. commenced business in the same quarters.


The Fairfield County Savings Bank was chartered in 1874 with William K. James as president. It is now at 67 Wall st. Dr. James G. Gregory is president. The Central Na- tional Bank was organized in 1876 with A. S. Hurlbutt as first president. It later became the Central Trust Co. Still later, with the Fairfield County National bank, both national banks, it was merged into the Central Fairfield Trust Co. The City National bank of South Norwalk was organized in 1882 with Robert H. Rowan as president. It


228


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


is located at 99 Washington st. Frederick Rowan is presi- dent. The South Norwalk Trust Company was organized April 4 and began business April 15, 1901. Richard H. Golden was the first president. The bank is now at 93 Washington st. Richard H. Golden is still president. The People's Trust Co. opened for business June 20, 1914. A. G. Hein was president during the organization, and Charles F. Mills was president as soon as the company opened its doors. The bank which was at 79 Washington st., is now in its new spacious quarters on North Main st. Charles F. Mills is president.


Announcement of the organization of the Central Fair- field Trust Co., was made September 19, 1923. It was stated that the Fairfield County National Bank and Trust Co. and the Central Trust Co., had consolidated and would henceforth be known as the Central Fairfield Trust Co. Officers of the new bank were given as: E. O. Keeler, former lieutenant governor of Connecticut, chairman of the board of directors; John T. Prowitt, president; Charles F. Tristram, vice-president; Emile Hemming, vice-president ; William H. Southworth, treasurer; Cyrus M. Benedict, as- sistant treasurer.


The Fairfield County bank, the oldest in the city, was organized in Norwalk in 1824, as aforestated. First banking quarters were in rooms owned by Charles Thomas and rented for one year at $65. In 1865 the banking system was changed to that of national banks and the Fairfield County Bank became the Fairfield County National bank. As the Fairfield County National Bank was the first to be incor- porated in the old town of Norwalk, the Central National Bank was the last to organize in the old town of Norwalk. It was chartered in June, 1876, and was located where the Thomas restaurant, 26 Wall st. now stands. The Central National Bank was later converted into the Central Trust Co. It was as the Central Trust Co., that the bank, with the Fairfield County National Bank, consolidated into the Central Fairfield Trust Co. Emile Hemming is now


229


BANKS-CHURCHES


president of the last named new bank, located at 59 Wall st.


The National Bank of Norwalk, now situated at 51 Wall st., once occupied a little wooden store on Wall st. Un- painted pine desks and counters were the furnishings while the money was kept in a small safe. Two grain sacks pro- tected the books which were left in a convenient place for quick removal in case of fire. Frank A. Ferris was an early clerk of this bank and he received the munificent salary of


$50 a year. The cashier was a rich man, living in luxury


on $1, 500 a year. The president was serving on a nominal salary. At that time, the president of the Fairfield County Bank received "one cent for each signature on the bank's bills." No sooner had the National Bank of Norwalk opened than the panic of 1857 broke out. This was the second financial panic to affect Norwalk, the first in 1837, having come some 13 years after the organization of the Fairfield County Bank. Horror swept over the United States in 1857 when the financial catastrophe crushed the country. The panic, which was due in large measure to land speculations, caused the suspension of many banks and caused 5, 123 commercial liabilities exceeding $300,000,000. It is interesting to note here that during the entire panic, the Bank of Norwalk bills passed as par everywhere and that they were redeemed in both Boston and New York. The Bank of Norwalk was robbed September 30, 1869, when $170,000 in money and securities was taken. The vault of the bank had been blown open with nitro glycerine. An associate of one of the robbers was captured several years later and a little of the money recovered, but the master thieves were never apprehended.


FIRST CATHOLICS


The first Catholics came to Norwalk in 1828. Twenty- three years later, St. Mary's Roman Catholic church or rather chapel, was erected in this community. Between


230


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


the years 1828 and 1840, Catholicism gained a firm foot- hold in Norwalk. During that time also, the South Nor- walkers built themselves a Congregational church; the Bap- tists came to town; and the Mormons arrived. Michael Cooney and family of New York were the first Catholics to come to Norwalk during May, 1828. Mr. Cooney was a hat dyer and he lived near the dock on the east side of Water st. A year later, William Donahoe and family set- tled here. Clement Burns followed and then came the Gil- hooly and Brennan families.


By 1832, Norwalk was being visited semi-annually by . Father McDermott, who continued to come here until he was transferred to Lowell, Mass., in 1837. Mass was said in the front room of Mr. Cooney's house. Rev. James Smyth of New Haven was the next priest to visit this com- munity and he said mass in various places, including a house in Rowayton. By the time the year 1848 arrived, the Catho- lic population was beginning to consider a resident priest. Accordingly, a committee made up of John Hanlon, John Foley, Paul Bresnen, Terence Reynolds and Farrell Gil- hooly, petitioned Bishop Tyler for a resident priest. Rev. John Brady was appointed to Norwalk and no sooner had he arrived than he commenced negotiations to secure a church building for his congregation. Both Catholics and Protestants contributed generously to the proposed church. Rev. Mead of St. Paul's Episcopal Church headed the list with a large subscription.


The church was completed in 1851 and on January 28 of that year was dedicated by Bishop O'Reilly. The present grey stone St. Mary's church on upper West ave. was dedi- cated in 1870. Rev. John Russell came to Norwalk in 1878. He built St. Mary's parochial school, purchased the con- vent and introduced the Sisters of Mercy from Meriden into this parish. Rev. John Furlong came in 1896. It was he who felt that the people of his parish needed a place for social entertainments and so he purchased the property op- posite the Catholic church on West ave. where the Catholic


231


BANKS-CHURCHES


club was established in 1897. The present priests of St. Mary's are Rev. Thomas J. Finn, assisted by Rev. John Shea. In 1927, women of the church, assisted by the men, raised sufficient money to erect the Catholic Community house, Leonard st., which is used by Catholic and non-Cath- olic organizations alike and has proved a boon to the neigh- borhood.


St. Joseph's parish was founded in September, 1895 and the division of the Catholics, uptown and downtown, was effected. The corner stone of the present handsome brick church on South Main st. was laid April 4, 1897, by Rt. Rev. Bishop Tierney. Dedication of the completed church took place Decoration Day, 1900, and there were present at the time from the Diocese and neighboring states, no less than 125 clergymen. The present priests at St. Joseph's are Rev. Denis P. Hurley, assisted by Rev. Vincent Finn. St. Ladislaus Hungarian Catholic church of which further mention is made a little later, was organized 20 years ago. At the present writing, a Catholic church is being contem- plated in East Norwalk.


:


CONGREGATIONAL CHURCHES


Of the three deacons chosen for the South Norwalk Congregational church shortly after its opening meeting, January 4, 1836, two came to violent ends. The first, John Bouten, who served 20 years, was instantly killed by a fall from the scaffold during the enlarging of the church in 1856. Daniel K. Nash who served 28 years, met death by a fall from a tree. The third deacon, Stephen G. Ferris, was permitted to serve for 57 years when he "fell asleep." It was in 1834 that the necessity of building a Congregational church in South Norwalk first made itself felt among the people here. On August II, the first meeting to consider the project took place, and January 4, 1836 the first meeting of the newly constituted church was held. The church build- ing was completed in 1836. In 1888, ground was broken


232


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


for a new church, the building being finished in December, 1889. This is the sturdy edifice on the corner of Flaxhill road, where North Main st. and West ave. join, opposite the soldiers' monument. Rev. Ambrose DeLapp is the present pastor.


The Norwalk Congregational church, of course, antedates all other churches in Norwalk, for although it was not known as such at the time, it was the first house of worship in this city. Its little building stood on East ave., opposite Fitch st. The church was organized as a separate institu- tion in 1726 under the name of the First Congregational Society of Norwalk. In 1790 the fourth building was erected on the Green. It was white with green blinds and boasted a spire. Both the second and third churches stood on East ave.


The church which preceded the present one, was con- structed in the late '40's. The old well remained in the cellar of the building for many years but was finally filled in. Dr. Edwin Hall was perhaps the ablest theologian connected with the church. He will go down in Norwalk history as a benefactor, for it was he who penned "Hall's History of Norwalk," one of the few authentic accounts left to us of the ancient historical records of this town. Dr. Hall, it should be added, brought up a family of six chil- dren, gave them all a decent education and sent his son to college, all on a salary of not more than $800 a year ! The present Norwalk Congregational church, located on the corner of Park and Lewis sts. was dedicated March 15, 1925. Dr. Ernest McGregor is pastor.


BAPTIST CHURCHES


Because of the pronounced prejudice against Baptists in Norwalk, a prejudice general throughout the country in 1837, great difficulty was experienced by a little group of local people in securing a location here for a Baptist church. Delegates, representing the Danbury, Stamford, Weston,


233


BANKS-CHURCHES


Stratfield and Redding Baptist churches, gathered in the Norwalk Congregational church and organized the First Baptist Church of Norwalk, August 31, 1837. Many of the charter members belonged to the Wilton Baptist church, which had just disbanded. For a while the members held meetings in the old Academy building on the Green, after- wards moving their services to the town house on Mill Hill. Rev. William Bowen first supplied the pulpit. Difficulty in securing a piece of ground on which to build a church became apparent shortly after the organizers commenced making inquiries. The townspeople did not want a Baptist association in town and they figured that the easiest way to keep it out was to refuse it a home.


But the Baptists outguessed the town fathers, and through a third person, who afterwards transferred the plot to the church, a piece of ground, where the present Baptist church now stands on the Green, was purchased. The building, which was the first and last erected by the Baptists in Norwalk was built in 1839 and dedicated in 1840. Immediately afterwards a revival took place, re- sulting in a large increase in membership. The building was renovated in 1870. The present Norwalk church, now known as the First Baptist Church of Divine Healing, is under the charge of the Rev. De Witt Van Doren.


In the home of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Burbank on South Main st., the South Norwalk Baptist church association was organized May 5, 1859. Forty years later, Mr. and Mrs. Burbank, who had been much interested in the church bequeathed their home to it as a parsonage. Rev. L. D. Gowen was named pastor of the new church and first ser- vices were held in Smith's Hall, which later became Tilly's carriage factory and is now Tilly's Auto and Carriage Works, 83 North Main st. In 1884, the present church was built on West ave. Rev. Lester Mallery is pastor. The Rowayton Baptist church was organized in 1861. Rev. Vic- tor Scalise is pastor.


The Calvary Baptist church, colored, now known as the


234


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Grace Baptist church, Butler st., was organized on Novem- ber 30, 1891. It was first located where the A. M. E. church now stands on Knight st. There are two other colored churches in the community: the Knight Street Afri- can Methodist Episcopal church, organized in April 1886; and the Mount Zion Baptist church on Franklin street, or- ganized in 1925. Part of the Knight street building was constructed from a little old chapel which once formed a section of the Norwalk Congregational church. The Hun- garian Baptist church organized in 1913, was originally formed under the direction of the South Norwalk Baptist church. Rev. Alexander Kinda is the present pastor.


MORMONISM


Mormonism attempted to gain a foothold in Norwalk during the early 1840's, when Brigham Young, Mormon leader, Elder Snow and their associates came to town. The Mormons remained in this community for several weeks visiting parts of New Canaan and Norwalk and holding baptismal immersions at Fitch's Point. In 1842, they held a gathering on Ram's Island, otherwise known as Nauvoo. Mormonism failed to take any real hold in Norwalk and shortly the apostles left in search of more fertile ground.


Today, there is no branch of the Mormon sect in town, but there is a branch of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints in Broad River. Although the latter is an outgrowth of the former, the two now have no connection whatsoever. Members of the reorganized body are in violent opposition to the Mormons in two main beliefs. First, they do not recognize polygamy; second, they do not place Adam as the Supreme Being, but rather Jesus Christ or God. On Mills st., in Broad River, there is a branch of this Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints.


The little chapel was founded in 1896 with Elder A. E. Stone as the first president. Charles W. Frank, barber


235


BANKS-CHURCHES


of 132 Main st., is now elder and he preaches every Sun- day to his flock of 60 members. Tuesday nights, Bible study meetings are held and Thursday nights, prayer gatherings. Mrs. Homer Buttery of Ponus ave., one of the hardest working members, in discussing the local institution, ex- plained that the followers do not call their smaller institu- tions churches, but rather branches. Thus we have, "The Broad River Branch of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints." Baptism by immersion for the washing away of all sin, is a belief of this faith, even as it is of the Mormon religion. In Norwalk, the immer- sions usually take place in the Silvermine river.


Broad River has within its boundaries a second little re- ligious group which supports the Protestant Union Broad River Chapel on Bartlett ave., organized in 1885. It is non-denominational and was founded to take care of those religiously inclined who could not make the journey down into Norwalk every Sunday. At its dedication, Protestant ministers from all different churches in Norwalk took part in the program.


EPISCOPAL CHURCHES


After building Trinity Episcopal church, assisting in the erection of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic church and help- ing to build at least one other religious institution in the community, Rev. William Cooper Mead of St. Paul's Episcopal church built his own tomb. An account of the founding of Trinity church does not rightly belong in this chapter, which covers the period from 1828 to 1840, since it was not considered until 1858, but since it will be less confusing to keep the accounts of Norwalk churches all together, it will here be given.


Trinity church was the result of expansion, an outgrowth of St. Paul's Episcopal church, of which mention has pre- viously been made. St. Paul's, it will be remembered, was the second oldest ecclesiastical organization in this com-


236


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


munity. As early as 1729 it is believed Episcopal services were held here, with the Rev. Henry Caner of Fairfield as the first clergyman in 1737. At that time services were held in a small frame building in the vicinity of the present St. Paul's church, on the green between Park st. and East ave. In 1742 the first real church building was erected only to be destroyed by fire during the Revolutionary War when Tryon burned the town. In a few years another building was erected to be supplanted by the wooden Gothic church of 1840. This gave way during the year 1929 to the stone Gothic church on the same ground, the Green, between Park st. and East ave. Rev. William Cooper Mead, D.D. assumed charge of St. Paul's church in 1836, continuing in that position for 44 years. Rev. Charles Selleck who had been assistant to Rev. Mead for 14 years became pastor in 1879. Rev. Selleck, in 1886, delivered an historical ad- dress at the centenary of St. Paul's, which later inspired him to write the volumn known as "Selleck's History of Nor- walk." Rev. Louis Howell is the present rector, of St. Paul's.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.