The romance of Norwalk, Part 37

Author: Danenberg, Elsie N. (Elsie Nicholas), 1900-
Publication date: 1929
Publisher: New York City, States History Co
Number of Pages: 568


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 37


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40


Olchin, L. and Co., Inc., ladies' dresses, coats and suits ; Old Well Cigar Co., cigars; Olden Time Bottling Works, soda water; Palinkos, S. J., Hat Co., hats; Pearl Silk Co., broad silk; Peerless Fur Cutting Co .; Peerless Mfg. Co., water pumps; Peters' Sweet Shop, ice cream and candy; Pe- quot Wire Cloth Co .; Philips, James, auto and wagon re- pairs ; Post Road Forge, ornamental iron work; Powell Silk Co., broad silk. R. and G. Corset Co., corsets ; Rabhor Co., Inc., bath robes; Radel, Andrew Oyster Co .; Reynolds, B.


476


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


J. cigars; Richards, Dr., Dyspepsia Tablet Association; Roberts and Pressmar Inc., plumbing and heating; Rosen- blatt & Hollub Inc., women's dresses; Roth, G. S. and Son, Inc., women's muslin underwear; Rough Hat Co .; Rubin Mfg. Co., women's coats; R. U. V. Co., Inc., water sterili- zers; Ryder, H. B. signs. Sabel Hat Co., women's straw and velvet hats; Salisbury, E. J., house finish; Sanitice Corp., ice machines; Schuman Art Print Co., printing; Segal Lock Co., formerly Norwalk Lock Co., builders' and marine hardware; Sentinel Publishing Co., newspaper.


Seymoure, H. A. Novelty Co .; Sheehan, J. T., cigars ; Singer Sewing Machine Co., stitching and repairs; South Norwalk Electric Light Works, light and power; South Norwalk Hat Co .; South Norwalk Oyster Farms Co., oys- ter opening; Standard Laundry, wet wash; Standard Oil Co., tank and auto repairs; Standard Safety Razor Corp .; Star Laundry, laundry; Star Union Overall Co., overalls and children's play suits; Stetson Textile Corp .; Strand restaurant, candy and ice cream; Streb Fur Cutting Co .; Success Welding Co., welding and cutting; Superior Casting Co., iron and brass castings. Tallmadge Bros. Inc., oyster opening; Thomas Chocolate Shop, candy; Tilly Auto and Carriage Works, carriage and auto repairs; Trowbridge, C. S. Co., paper boxes and wood cases; Vanderbilt, R. T. Co., Inc., laboratory; Veco Co., electrical fittings; Waldron, A. and Son, house finish; Wallace, John J., stairs; Walsh, John, blacksmithing; Wear Ever Slipper Co .; Wheeler Brothers, machine work, hatters' tools; White, Nelson M., plumbing and metal work.


Other local firms which submitted information regarding their businesses in response to inquiries were the following : Foster and Stewart Co., manufacturers of awnings and couch hammock fabrics, founded in 1911. C. W. Foster is the present head of the firm and 30 are employed in the Norwalk business. McMahon and Cremins, Inc., 14 to 20 Orchard st., manufacturers of curtains and converters of drapery fabrics, was founded in 1907. Thomas'. J. McMahon of New York is the present head of the firm.


477


APPENDICES


The Norwalk Pattern and Model Co. was founded May 1, 1923. J. Herbert Mottram is the present head and the company employs seven. The Superior Castings Corp. was founded in January, 1926. Charles Aussenhofer is head of the company in which 26 are employed. The Isaac Church Expansion Bolt Co. was founded in 1887. Leroy Montgomery is the present head. The Pequot Wire Cloth Co. was founded in June, 1928. C. J. Royle is the present head and 22 are employed there. The Fitzgerald Co. was founded in 1920. Walter J. Fitzgerald is head of the firm in which ten are employed. The C. S. Trowbridge Co. was founded about 1850 and incorporated in 1907. F. C. Quintard is the present head of the firm in which 30 are employed. The Norwalk Duntile Mfg. Co., Inc., was founded in September, 1925. The present head of the firm in which four are employed is W. P. Petrie. The Crystal Ice Co. was founded in 1924. Edgar Murphy is president


and ten are employed there.


The Barker Factory, Inc., Pine Island, marine conver- sion equipment for Ford engines, has an interesting history. The business was established in 1899 in its present location by Charles L. Barker now of Hollywood, Calif., and George F. Betts of Norwalk who did business as the Nor- walk Launch Works. The manufacturer of Barker two cycle marine engines designed by Mr. Barker, who bought out his partner, was commenced in 1901, and the boat build- ing business was given up. In 1923 the company became the Barker Factory Inc., manufacture of the two cycle engines was continued, and a repair yard for boats operated. In 1924 the company introduced a standardized set of marine conversion equipment for Ford Model T engines, which was successful from the beginning. Sales distribution of this equipment has carried the name of the manufacturer and of Norwalk, to every state as well as to Alaska and the Island possessions of the United States, and in addition to more than 80 foreign ports in all parts of the world. The officers of the corporation are: F. L. Tuttle, Esq., of


478


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Yonkers, N. Y., president; Georgia T. Tuttle, of Norwalk, vice president, and Thomas T. Tuttle of Norwalk, secretary and treasurer.


OTHER NORWALK ISLANDS


Pine Island, a prominent west coast elevation in the Nor- walk river, now part of the mainland, was once considered an excellent bathing site. Campfield or Canfield Island, now part of the Shorehaven filled-in property, was once owned by Mathew Canfield, early Norwalk settler. In 1672, it was in part the property of Ephraim Lockwood. Lockwood, just before he died, deeded it to his son James, the great grandfather of the Chancellor James Kent. The year 1896 found the island part of Langdon Marina and connected by a bridge to Half Mile Island, once the scene of a thriving pottery trade, of which mention was made earlier in the history. Today finds Campfield, Half Mile and also Stephen's Island, all swallowed up in the Shore- haven coastal development. On Stephen's Island, for some time lived the parent, a silver craftsman, of the late Alfred Jackson of Norwalk and his brother, LeGrand, Wall st. jeweler.


Other islands are: Crow Island, said to have taken its name from the large number of birds on the crow order which frequented the place, the island, which has practically disappeared, now being owned by Arthur E. Wickes; Dog Hammock owned by Edmond C. Browne, Richmond Hill, Long Island; Race Rocks; Grassy Hammock, where the Tolchester was stranded in 1896; Long Beach, favorite spot of Norwalk Indians and where Arthur Tolles, captain of the "Charis Second," Charles H. Harris' yacht, once found numerous arrow heads; The Plains, off Temperance Island, good only at low tide and owned by Agnes F. Smith of New York; Sheep Rock; Daskam Island now part of Harbor View; Tempest Island; Hoyt's Island, about 3 acres in size and owned by Albert Rathbone of 80 Broad


479


APPENDICES


way; Sandy Hammock, 3 acres, owned by Mary J. Com- stock and H. L. Comstock; Cedar Hammock, scene of death of two young duck hunters, Alan Moran and Melville Scudder, who were frozen to death, the island now being owned by Mrs. Joseph Officer of Wethersfield; Bell Island, now part of the mainland, the island having taken its name from Captain John Bell, rich man, and owner of most of the island at one time. Stuart Island, once farmed by Robert Stuart; West White Rock or White Rock, and East White Rock; Little Tavern, and Sention or St. John's Beach, old clamming ground, are other small islands.


There are several islands in the vicinity of Norwalk harbor, often thought to belong to Norwalk but which actually belong to Darien or to Westport: Seymour Rock and Kitts Island are in Saugatuck harbor; Duck Island, in Westport waters, is owned by F. H. Minard; Sprite Island, Westport, was owned in 1771 by Rev. William Tennent of Norwalk whose father was universally known for his wonderful "trances." Rev. Tennent sold the island in 1772 when he was dismissed from his Congregational parish and it is now owned by Helen DeKay of Westport. Cockenoe Island, Westport, at one time said to have been the scene of a bootleg distillery, and at another time, to have been the hiding place of a bold pirate's treasure, is now owned by D. B. Sanford and William B. W. Smith of Westport. Butler Island, Darien, old Indian rendezvous where the Indians used to grind their corn in a hole ten inches across, and 18 inches deep gouged in a rock, is now part of the mainland. Contentment Island, once a thriving farm property, is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. John Sher- man Hoyt of "Keewaydin" Contentment Island, Darien. Fish Island, also in Darien, belongs to John Sherman Hoyt. Goose Island, scene 20 years ago of the burial of a badly decomposed body which had been washed up on shore, by David W. Raymond, local undertaker, is on the Nor- walk-Westport boundary line. Humor in tragedy is re- vealed in the remark of old timers who maintain that 100


480


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


years from now some one will dig up the bones of the corpse and proclaim a new Indian find. The island belongs to the Smithsonian Institute and has been used for experimental purposes.


MARCH OF NORWALKERS IN CIVIL WAR


In the "Fighting Seventeenth" which saw hard service in the Civil War, nearly 200 Norwalkers fought. The line of march is pictured above: Norwalk to Bridgeport, then to Baltimore, Mary- land by train; over to Fort Marshall-Brooklyn and New York troops here, lax discipline, 17th refused proper shelter, soldiers dis- satisfied ; then to Washington, D. C., then to Tenallytown en- camping at Fort Kearney where trenches were dug; to Georgetown and then to Gainesville, Virginia with Gen. Franz Sigel ; here under Gen. McLean were many Ohio men whom the Norwalkers liked ; Prince Salm-Salm's beautiful wife reviewed the troops here; then to Thoroughfare Gap in the Bull Run mountains; then to Hope- well Gap, just gap in the hills, and Antioch church; then to Chan- tilly and bitter cold; then to Falmouth and over to Stafford Court House where the Norwalkers gave dinner for Ohio boys; then to Belle Plain and over to Brooks' Station; westward to Hartwood Church; to Barrett's Ford on the Rappahannock, to Germania Ford on the Rapidan, where pontoons were laid; back to battleground of Chancellorsville; across Rappahannock, north to battlefield of Gettysburg, Pa .; down to Hagerstown, Maryland; down to Antie- tam, many of soldiers without shoes; down to Alexandria; troops now embarked for Fortress Monroe, Virg .; took boat for Folly Island, South Carolina; soldiers spent most of time dodging shells here; heard first guns fired on Fort Sumter; then to Jacksonville, Florida; then to St. Augustine; then to Volusia, where Captain Kellogg of Norwalk frightened away enemy by ruse of wagon tracks mistaken for artillery; to Welaka and Sanders where company of 17 was wiped out in action; up to Jacksonville; down to St. Au- gustine, men running short of water on way down and Col. Noble offering $100 for pint ; over to Picolata where scorching sands burned the men's feet; up to Baldwin, back to St. Augustine; up St. John's River to Dunn's Lake where raid was made on enemy cotton store ; back to St. Augustine where at Fort Marion, 17th took charge of prisoners; up to Jacksonville to provost duty; over to Hilton Head, South Carolina, where 17th was mustered out, July 16, 1865.


481


APPENDICES


NORWALK OYSTER GROUNDS


Upper map shows Norwalk oyster grounds under state juris- diction, the following having grounds: J. W. Bayles, Lowndes Oyster Co., C. W. Bell estate, A. and G. Stevens, Andrew Radel Oyster Co., Nellie Stevens, Modern Oyster Co., Stevens and De- Waters, J. and J. W. Elsworth Co., D. P. Weeks., C. B. Seeley, Conn. Oyster Farms Co., now Bluepoints Co., M. Parker, Charles W. Ludlam Oyster Co., F. F. Lovejoy, H. C. Rowe, and H. P. Morgan.


The lower map shows Norwalk oyster grounds under the juris- diction of the city of Norwalk, the following having grounds : D. B. Decker, estate, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 23, 24, 29, 32, 41, 50, 54, 56, 79, 82, 89, 94, 99, 108, 109, 136, 173; A. A. Geib, 2, 10, 14, 18, 22, 37, 74, 191, 192; Radel Oyster Co., 9, 28, 30, 33, 35, 40, 42, 48, 148, 171, 185, 190, 201, 207, 208, 209, 211; F. F. Lovejoy, 3, 27, 31, 36, 61, 65, 85, 92, 100, 102, 121, 122, 123, 126, 150, 166, 167, 180, 182, 188; Lowndes Oyster Co. 11, 26, 34, 93, 95, 116, 228, 234; Tallmadge Brothers, 12, 13, 15, 16, 58, 68, 81, 86, 87, 88, 101, 105, 134, 168, 189, 223, 225, 226, 227, 261, 266; William Byxbee, 19, 45, 62, 124, 137, 177, 194, 195, 270; Owen Byxbee, 20; Thomas Byxbee, 21; Bluepoints Co., 38, 39, 43, 44, 52, 53, 55, 76, 78, 80, 91, 97, 98, 156, 162, 164; George Kenzie, 51, 59, 170, 255; W. Redfern, 66, 75; Charles Purcells, 72; Theo- dore Mayhew, 118; W. I. Stevens, 125, 253; Andrew Mills, 145; Charles Raymond, 210, 264; Harry Williams, 215, 246; Mills Brothers, 224, 260, 268; George Ackerly, 233; John Plander, 240, 242; William Wright, 231; Smith estate, 70, 106, 107, 117, 169, 218, 250, 251, 256; Ed Schroder, 257; F. Stabell, 128, 259; A. D. Corson, 267; I. Podzelni, 49, 73, 129, 154, 214, 221; C. W. Bell, estate, 165, 183, 184, 204; Wickenhauser, 176, 213, 216, 249. There are others but the grounds change hands frequently and there is no complete up to date list.


BIBLIOGRAPHY


History of Connecticut, G. H. Hollister.


History of Fairfield County, D. Hamilton Hurd.


History of Fairfield, Fairfield County, Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbell Schenck.


"Pageant of America," Ralph Henry Gabriel.


"Hidden Children," Robert W. Chambers.


"Hawkers and Walkers in Early America," Richardson Wright.


History of Connecticut Indians, John W. DeForest.


Connecticut, As a Colony and As a State, Morgan.


"Norwalk After 250 Years," Samuel R. Weed, Compiler.


"Indian Wars of New England," Sylvester.


"A Century of Dishonor," by Helen Jackson.


"A Sketch of the U. S. Government's Dealings with some of the Indian Tribes."


"Norwalk," by Rev. Charles Selleck, with Supplement.


"Indians of the Housatonic and Naugatuck Valleys," Samuel Orcutt.


Colonial Records of Connecticut.


"Costumes of Colonial Times," by Alice Morse Earle.


"Popular History of the U. S.," by William Cullen Bryant and Sydney Howard Gay.


"The Pequot War," by Mason, Underhill, Vincent and Gardener.


"Boundary Disputes of Connecticut," Clarence Winthrop Bowen.


"Narrative and Critical History of America," Justine Winsor.


"The Furniture of Our Forefathers," Esther Singleton.


"Norwalk, 1650 to 1800," Edwin Hall.


"Complete History of Connecticut," Trumbull.


"Chapter Sketches, Connecticut Daughters of the American Revo- lution," Editor, Mary Philotheta Root.


"Study of Commonwealth Democracy," Alexander Johnson.


"History of Ridgefield," George L. Rockwell.


"Revolutionary Days in Westport, Conn.," edited by Edith Very Sherwood, librarian.


"Four Cities and Towns of Connecticut," by Acme Pub. and Eng. Co.


"History of Connecticut, Its People and Institutions," George L. Clark.


482


483


BIBLIOGRAPHY


Connecticut Historical Society Collections, Volumes 9 and 10. "The American Revolution," by John Fiske.


"My Story," Memoirs of Benedict Arnold, late Major General in the Constitutional Army and Brigadier General in that of His Britannic Majesty, by F. J. Stinson.


Records of the State of Connecticut, Volumes 1, 2 and 3.


"History of Danbury," James Montgomery Bailey.


"Loyalists in the American Revolution," Claude Halstead Van Tyne.


"Connecticut Men in the War of the Revolution."


"The Struggle for Independence," Becker and Wrong.


"Connecticut," by Alexander Johnston.


1


"Manufacturing Interests of Norwalk," in "New England States," Vol. I.


"Old Boston Post Road," Stephen Jenkins.


"Early Domestic Architecture of Connecticut," J. Frederick Kelly.


"Thru Colonial Doorways," Anne Hollingsworth Wharton.


"Historic Costume," Katherine Morris Lester.


"Stage Coach and Tavern Days," by Alice Morse Earle.


"Colonial Women of Affairs," Elizabeth Anthony Dexter, Ph. D.


"Life in America 100 Years Ago," Gaillard Hunt.


"The Salt Box House," Jane de Forest Shelton.


"Connecticut Historical Collections," Barber.


Connecticut Journal copies.


Norwalk Town Records, "Town Proceedings," Volume 1, 1653- 1706; Volume 2, 1711-1803; Volume 3, 1804-1857; Volume 4, 1857-1872 ; Volume 5, 1872-1907; Volume 6, 1907 to January 1928. Records of cities of Norwalk and South Norwalk.


"Pilgrim Fathers of New England," by W. Carlos Martyn.


"In the Days of the Pilgrim Fathers," Mary Caroline Crawford. "Address at the Centenary of St. Paul's Church," Norwalk, by Rev. Charles M. Selleck, July 15, 1886.


"An Historical Discourse in Commemoration of the Two Hun- dredth Anniversary of the Settlement of Norwalk, Ct., in 1651," Delivered in the First Congregational, Church in Norwalk, July 9, 1851 by the Rev. N. Bouton of Concord, New Hampshire.


"A Gazetteer of the States of Connecticut and Rhode Island," by John C. Pease and John M. Niles, 1819.


"History of the Diocese of Hartford," Rev. James O'Donnell. Norwalk Red Cross Honor Roll.


South Norwalk Public Utilities.


Connecticut Public Utilities.


"Notes on the Oyster Fisheries of Connecticut," by J. W. Col-


484


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


lins, in the Bulletin of the U. S. Fish Comm., Wash., Government Printing Office, 1891.


"Oyster Cultural Problems of Connecticut," by J. S. Gutsell, Scientific Assistant U. S. Bureau of Fisheries, U. S. Fish Comm. Report, 1923.


"Investigation of Oyster Properties," State Board of Equalization and Oyster Investigation Commission, Conn. Public Documents, 1910, Vol. 4.


Biennial Report of the Shell Fish Commissioners, Connecticut, 1925-1926.


Biennial Report of the Shell Fish Commissioners, Connecticut, 1927-1928.


Norwalk Gazette, early copies, 1818.


History of Connecticut, Osborn, "Industrial History," Chandler. Crofut and Knapp publication, 1924.


Annual Reports, Second Taxing District, City of Norwalk, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918.


"Connecticut Men in Army, Navy and Marine Corps of the U. S., in the Spanish American War, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition."


State Factory Inspection Bureau, 1928 Report of Conn. Manu- factures.


Tax Commissioner's records.


"History of Hatting," Bailey.


Newspaper files.


INDEX


Aashowshack, 65 A. A. U. W., see University Abbe, Marcia, 438 Abbott, Fred, 402


Abbott, or Abbitt, George, 37, 38, 84


Abbott, Jonathan, 82


Abbott, Seth, 162


Acadians, come here, 111, 112


Accident, librarians in, 330


Ackart, Harvey, 375


Ackert, August, 335 Ackert, Benj., 335


Acton, William, 381


Actors, Actresses, 439 Adam, 21, 22


Adams, Aaron, 170 Adams, Bob, 440 and Lorenzo, 440


Adams Brothers, 283


Adams, Charles, 328


Adams, Edwin, 279, 280, 373, 376


Adams, Elbert, 381


Adams, E. S., 371


"Adelphi Explosion," 334 Advantages of Norwalk, 424 to 426


Advent Christian Church 240


Advertising, early, 194


Aged Home, 422, 435 Aiken, Henry, 298


Ainsworth, Francis, 240 Airport, 425 Akin, Andrew, 205 Akin, John, 205


Akin, Samuel, 205


Albrecht, C. B., Mrs, 332


Alison, George, 438 Alison, Gertrude, 438 Allen, Enid, 403


Allen, George, 385 Allen, Henry, 206, 299, 300, 302, 335 Allen, James, 293, 382 Alpha Bicycle Club, 385 Ambler, William, 293 American Hat Co., 290


American Legion, post and aux- iliary, 404


Ammerman, J. U., 323


Amundsen, Fred, 402


Amunition, 158, 165


Amusement Park, 426


Anderson, Alfred, 243


Anderson Family, 267


Anderson, Oscar, 382


Anderson, Ruth, 405


Andrews, B. M., Mrs, 288


Andrews, Francis, 99


Angevine Furn. Co., 339


Annanupp, 65


Anthitunn, 65 Apitz, Otto, 241


Appendix, selectmen from 1654 to 1900, 447 to 462; South Nor- walk mayors, 462; gifts to Nor., S. N. libraries, 463; old time oystermen, 464; attorneys, 464; physicians, 465; dentists, 466; opticians and veterinarians, 466; old time physicians, 467; Yacht Club Commodores, 467; Span. War Vets, 468; clubs, 470; man- ufactures, 473; islands, 478; Civil War, 480; oyster grounds, 481; bibliography, 482


Archer, Harry, 442


Architecture, early homes, 52; homes, 1750, 104; homes after Rev., 177, 178


Areas, oyster grounds, 366, 367, 368, 481 Arion Hall, 253


Armstrong, Joseph, 298


Arnold, Benedict, 141, 144, 145


Arnold, C. V., 321


Arnold, Lewis, 298


Arnold's Inn, 180


Artists, 332, 435 to 442 Ashe, Edmund, 436


Atlantic, ships across, 218


Attorneys, 61, 405; today, 464


Austin, A. E., 282, 406


Austin, Alfred, 381


485


486


INDEX


Authors, 442 to 444 Auto, first, 384 Auxiliary Police, 400 Avison, George, 437


Babcock, Stanton, 294 Baby Carriage Invention, 386 Baby Clinic, 434 Bailey, Belden, 400


Bailey, George R., 296


Bailey, H. O., 238, 296, 371, 378


Baird, A. E., 378


Baird's School, 260, 412


Baker, Tallmadge, 407


Balcom, Lowell, 437


Balcom, Thomas, 331


Ball, Hazel, 403


Ballast, 49 "Baltimore," 217


Ban on oysters, 361, 362


Bank Blown Up, 229


Bank of Norwalk, 227


Banking, early, 226


Banks, in Norwalk, 226 to 229


Banks, Samuel, 335,


Baptism, immersion, 235 Baptist Churches,


Norwalk, 232, 233; South Nor- walk, 233; Rowayton, 233; Grace or Calvary, 233; Mount Zion, 234; Hungarian, 234


Bar Association, 405


Barbour, H. H., 406


Barbour, James, 294


Barclay, W. C., 337


Barnes, George H., 428


Barnes, Hiram, 215


Barnum, Father of all Barnums here, 2


Barnum, Jay H., Mr. and Mrs., 437 Barnum, P. T., 69, 70, 323


Barnum, Samuel, 292


Barnum, Thomas, 68, 69, 70 ; Thomas 2nd, Francis, Richard, John, Ebenezer, Hannah, 69; Thomas, 2nd and Sarah, Ephraim and Mehitable, Ephraim and Keziah, Joseph, Philo, 70, 100 Barren Marsh, 28 Barrett, Percy, Mrs., 332 Barrymores, 439 Bartek, Kate, 435


Barthis, Ethus, 206


Barton, Calvin, 389 Bartram, Daniel, 205


Bartram, D. S., 195


Bartram, Job, 150, 170


Bartram, W. S., 391


Bassen, William, 382


Basso, Bela, 238


Bates, Charles, 402


Bates, William, 297


Batterson, John, 291, 298, 299, 301, 303


Battle in Rowayton, 373


Battle of Bridge, 398


Battle of Rocks, see "The Rocks"


Baumbach, J. G., 427


Baxter Field, 401


Bayley, Neville, 310, 426


Beach, Howard, 360, 363


Beach, Nelson, 298


Beacham, 49


Beacham or Beauchamp, Robert, 37, 39 Beard, A. E., 198


Beard, Algernon, 419


Beard, Augustus, 116, 443


Beard, Captain, 72


Beard, E., 227, 337


Beard, E. Patten, 442, 443


Beard, Gerald, 238


Bearsley, Plum, 205


Beardsley, Sarah, 70


Beardsley, Sidney, 406


Beatty, John, 289


Beaver, Charles, 428


Beaver hats, 271


Beck Hazzard Co., 430


Becker, Frank, 320


Becker, Max, 428


Becker, Michael, 321


Beckwith or Beckett, Stephen, 37, 39, 264


Bedford, E. T., 432, 433


Bedford, Mary A., 433; nurses' home, 433


Bedient, Jesse, 168


Beebe, James, 100


Beebe, John, 100


Beers, George, 295


Beers, Moses, 206


Belden, Azar, 103, 104


Belden, Daniel, 114


Belden, Esther, 131


Belden, Henry, 227 ; house, 237


Belden, Hezekiah, 136


Belden, Isaac, home, 165


Belden or Beldin, John, 100, 136; họmẹ saved, 165


INDEX


487


Belden, Thomas, 164, 196 Belden's Point, 25, 65, 146 Belding, John, 82 Belknap, Abel, 187


Bell, Andrew, homestead, 255 Bell, George, 266, 392, 393


Bell, Hiram, 335 Bell, Holly, 205 Bell Island, 414, 479


Bell, James, 171


Bell, Thaddeus, 171, 196, 266


Benda, Marion, 438


Benedick, James, 100


Benedict, Ammon, 205


Benedict, Anna Louise, 314, 316


Bicycling Days, 385


Biddle, J. A., 241


Bigsbee, John, 205


Bigsby, Andrew, 205


Birchard, Joseph, 100


Birdsall, Cortland, 402


Bishop, Edward, 296


Bishop, George, 378


Bishop, Hubert, 330


Bishop, Isaac, 205


Bissa, Samuel, 205


Bissell, Clark, 227, 268, 405, 407


Bissell, Dr., 409


Bissell, Frank Harper, 438


Bissell, Frank, Mrs., 334


Bissell, Governor, 444


Bissell House, 164, 176


Bixbe, Moses, 141


"Black Friday," 313, 314


"Blackstone of America," 176 Blake, J. W., 336 Blake, Mortimer, 402


Blanchard, Abiathar, 249, 327, 328


Blanchard, Agnes, 328


Blizzard of 1888, 369


Blockades in War of 1812, 204, 205 Block, Adrien, 7 Bloodletting, 91 Bloom, Charles, 402


Berg, F., 289 Berg, George, 439


Beth Israel Synagogue, 242


Bluepoints Co., 366


Board of Trade, 430


Boats, see ships. Bodwell, Wilfred, 389


Bodwell, William, 295


Bogardus, George, 306 Bogart, Gilbert, 292, 379, 431


Betts, Isaac, 168


Betts, Island, 414, 415


Betts, John, 168; hotel, 180 Betts, Juliette, 175


Betts, Le Grand, Mrs., 47, 370


Betts, Mary, 403 Betts, Philo, 205 Betts, Samuel, 103


Betts, Silas, 168


Betts, Squire, house, 176


Betts, Stephen, 131, 150, 153, 158, 161, 168, 170 Betts, Thaddeus, 135, 136, 158, 161, 187, 268, 405, 406, 407


Betts, Thomas, 38, 39, 79, 84 Betts, William, 196, 197, 370; store. 371 Biart, Victor, 442


Benedict, Asa, 205


Benedict, Cyrus, 228


Benedict, Daniel, 82


Benedict, George, 373


Benedict, J., 316 Benedict, James, 100, 265


Benedict, John, 38, 96, 265


Benedict, Nathaniel, 135, 138, 169


Benedict, Nehemiah, 138


Benedict, Raymond, 392


Benedict, Robert, 430


Benedict, Samuel, 100


Benedict, Seth, 323


Benedict, Theodore, 292, 293


Benedict, Thomas, 67; deacon, 155, 166


Benedict, Thomas, Jr., 38, 79, 84 (Bennidick and Bennydick) on bridge committee, 392


Benedict, Thomas, Sr., 38, 39, 84, 85 (Bennydick) Benedict's Point, 265


Bennett, E. A., Mrs., 439


Bennett, Edward, 402


Bennett, Ezra, 439


Bennett, Lewis, 205


Benton, Stacey, 396


Blue Laws, 93, 94


Betts, A. A., 381 Betts, C. Fred, 299 Betts, Daniel, 135


Betts, David, 205 Betts, Elijah, 335 Betts, Hezekiah, 168, 175


Bogart, James, 350


Bohannan, C. G., 377


Bolt, David, 136 Bolt, William, 136


488


INDEX


Bond, Anna, 375


Books, for children, 88; burned, 164


Boole, Eunice C., 335


Boole, W. H., 335


Borglum, Gutzon, 435


Borglum, Solon, 435


Borough of Norwalk, 244, 381


Boston Carriage Factory, 375




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.