The romance of Norwalk, Part 3

Author: Danenberg, Elsie N. (Elsie Nicholas), 1900-
Publication date: 1929
Publisher: New York City, States History Co
Number of Pages: 568


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 3


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40


Tobi ffeap


John How Marke, Mamechom Marke, Naromake Pomenate, his marke.


25


PURCHASE OF NORWALK


The second document, "A Confirmation of Captain Pat- rick's Purchase," acquitted the settlers of any further obli- gation, in the matter of the Patrick purchase, upon pay- ment of the coats and the wampum. It was dated July I, 1650.


It will be noted by the foregoing deeds that Norwalk in those days was spelled either Norwalke or Norwake. In various other old records additional spellings may be found as : Northwalk or Norrwake. A common tradition is to the effect that the name Norwalk was derived from the word "north-walk" meaning a day's walk from the sea into the country to the northern extent of the land purchased from the Norwalk Indians. This is untrue. The name, which in all probability was pronounced "Norruck" like Warwick with the second "w" silent, was in all likelihood, a perver- sion of the Indian name, Naromake or Naramake. Nara- make, whose name stands fourth, of the names on the deed, conveying land to Daniel Patrick, was a descendant of a chief of the same name, whose possessions were reduced by conquest to a very small territory. It was not long after Naramake had disposed of his lands to Captain Patrick that he went to Ridgefield and joined the Rampoo Indians. In 1708 he removed to the west and track of him was lost.


It was a common habit among the Indians to name their villages after their chiefs and sachems, which habit was evidently observed in the case of Norwalk. Mamachimons, now known as Chimmons Island, and Chashenoes, now known as Cockenoe Island, still retain the names of those Indians, who sold them to the Norwalk settlers, but little changed.


TRACES OF INDIANS HERE


As far as can be learned from the meager records, the Indian city of Naramake was situated on Belden's or Wil- son's point, one mile south of the city of South Norwalk. East of the residence and property of the late Mrs. Wilson, who was once a Belden, which property is now occupied by


26


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Frank Clark at Wilson Point, is a plot of land several acres in size, usually known as Platt's Meadow. Here the Norwalk Indian tribe built its wigwams, reared its children, held its councils. Fragments of stone hatchets, arrow heads and bits of earthenware, evidently laid there by human hands have been found from time to time.


East of this is another plot of ground which must have been used by the Indians as the scene of their feasts, for beneath the surface, two to six feet under ground have been found the bones of animals and birds and oyster shells. Mrs. Helena Hill Weed of Wilson Point said that she discovered an oval mound of oyster and clam shells in her back garden, which looked like a grave. She dug a hole six feet deep through the shells but did not reach the bottom. This spot may have been used by the Indians as a feasting ground or it may have been a grave.


On both sides of Valley Road, many pits filled with shells have been found and there has been evidence in recent years to support the theory that the road slopes were used as burying grounds. Eight or nine years ago, two Indian graves containing Indian skeletons, were discovered when laborers were digging gravel banks on the property of Zelda Sears, author, Woodland and Valley roads, Wilson Point. It was necessary to call the local medical examiner, the late Dr. Samuel H. Huntington, before the bones could be removed.


Three years ago, in 1926, when a tank was being sunk for an oil burning furnace on the property of Mrs. Carrie Wrenn, mother of Charles Wrenn, artist, on Old Orchard ave., Wilson Point, three Indian skeletons were discovered. The workmen didn't know into what they had put their shovels, and before they could be stopped, they had badly mutilated the skeletons and piled the bones of the two late chiefs on the ridge beside the trench where they were dig- ging. The third skeleton was not disturbed. This, an almost perfect specimen, was found carefully placed in a pit, almost circular in shape. Clam and oyster shells in several thicknesses lined the floor of the grave, banked the skeleton


27


PURCHASE OF NORWALK


on all sides and covered it completely so that the corpse must have been practically encased in shells. Mrs. Wrenn had the two disturbed skeletons carefully reburied on the side of the terrace. She said that had they not been so damaged, she would have sent them up to Yale University for study. Sometime later, when Mrs. Wrenn was digging in her garden, preparatory to planting flowers and bushes, she struck another grave full of shells but did not disturb it. The Wilson Point resident has named her home Indian Orchard in honor of the memory of the red-skins who once enjoyed a happy home on the Point.


To the south of the camping place of the Indians, at Wil- son Point, was a plot of land, on the sunny slope, evidently used by them as tilling ground for beans, corn, potatoes and the like. Midway between the Indian city of Naramake, Wil- son Point, and Five Mile Landing, Rowayton, was an inlet or arm of the sound, now known as the Cove, Wilson Point Cove. The shore road touches the head of it just south of the Thomas school. This inlet and the stream which empties into it was known by the Indians as the Pampaskeshank. Later the inhabitants called it the Hoof and Horn Creek. The first white settlers called this stream Rooten Brook, Rooten (or Roaten), being the name given to the territory bordering upon it on the west. It is now generally called Roton brook. The course is due north from Ely's Neck or avenue to Bouton Lane or street.


Two smaller villages of Naramakes at one time stood on the west banks of the Pampaskeshank, in the vicinity of the Hungarian settlement near the Polish church, between the railroad and Highland ave., west of the Standard Oil tanks. Ruins have been found there. It is thought that perhaps these villages were used only as defense posts of the main Indian city, for neither feasting nor burial places have been discovered there. The Naramakes were probably members of the great Mohegan nation, who fled here from the Hud- son river and Long Island to escape the Dutch in the early 1640's. The Mackems, the Mahackems, Matowacks, Swa-


28


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


noys or Makentons, other clans found in the country lying between Norwalk and New York city, were also inde- pendent units of the same nation. Numerous skeletons of Naramake Indians were discovered by the early settlers and they were all found placed in the same position, with the heads elevated and faces turned to the east. In such man- ner the Mohegans and Pequots were said to have buried their dead.


Other facts point to the probability that the Norwalk Indians situated on Wilson Point and on the Pampaskeshank banks at least, were Mohegans :


Because many of the skeletons found were over seven feet long, big and broad shouldered, as were the Mohegans.


Because superior wrought tools and implements, similar to those used by the Five Nations, have been found in the graves at Wilson Point.


To no great extent were any Indian remains found in what is now the center of Norwalk. The burying grounds seem to have been Belden's or Wilson Point, Barren Marsh bank, Indian Field and Saugatuck. The Indian Field to which reference is made, is said by some to have been out Fort Point way, behind the present factory of the Crofut and Knapp Co. Others maintain that it was situated in the north- ern part of Norwalk, beyond the end of Newtown ave., out Chestnut hill way. There may have been two so-called "In- dian Fields."


According to Hurd, the principal Indian village in the center of Norwalk, lay west of Meadow St. Indian skeletons found in and near the center of Norwalk were quite differ- ent from those unearthed on Belden's or Wilson Point, giv- ing rise to the belief that perhaps the center of Norwalk Indians were of Narragansett origin.


Just how many Indians there were here at the time the first white settlers arrived is a matter for conjecture. How- ever, it is doubtful, if there were more than 200 at any one time, the greater number of these being Mohegans.


For several years after the purchase of Norwalk in 1640,


29


PURCHASE OF NORWALK


there was no white settlement in this vicinity. Some of the histories maintain that a few families came here before the regular settlement during the year 1651, but there seem to be no definite facts to uphold this assertion. It is quite possi- ble though that some of the planters who signed the Indian deed in Norwalk on February 15, 1651, spent one or per- haps even two or three seasons here before the settlers' log cabins were built.


It would be interesting had the impressions of these first Norwalk settlers been recorded. What did they think of their new home? Of the beautiful country which held their future? Of the aboriginals who greeted them upon their arrival ?


Picture the Indian Village of Naramake on Wilson Point in the summer along in the early 1640's. Huge oaks, great elms and glorious pine trees swayed majestically in the breezes while flowers of every description, including a legion of wild tulips, brightened the landscape. In a little clearing on the south side of the main hill were set the wigwams thatched with brushes and bark and placed in straight and parallel rows, an even number to a line, with the exception of one line which boasted the sachem's chambers. Before the wigwams, brown-skinned children played, the little boys naked, the girls garbed only in aprons. Mothers squatted on the ground, some slowly grinding the corn in the stone hollowed mortars, some weaving gay blankets on looms of their own making, some intent on the tanning of hides brought home from the hunt by lord and master. A short distance from the wigwams was another clearing. Here grew corn and beans and the hemp tilled by the Indian women. Methodically they labored, their long black braids hanging loose, dark faces glistening with the sweat of hot work, their brown leather clothing blending harmoniously with the green of growing things.


Below to seaward, in the acres of tall rushes, the canoes were tied by thongs to trees in the cove. Perhaps on the sandy shore close by, Indian braves, garbed only in mocca-


30


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


sins and breech cloths, busied themselves with fish net and hook, while others, far out on the lazy blue of the Sound, fished, at peace with the world. The heavy scents of summer mingling with the odor of cooking meats, the lazily curling smoke from branch fires, scattered earthen pots in prepara- tion for dinner, bronze figures, moving slowly here and there, the twittering of many birds, the shrill call of the sea gull, the intermittent staccato barking of the many dogs which always surrounded an Indian camp. These perhaps can be set down as impressions of primitive Norwalk.


PLANTERS' AGREEMENT


We have now passed over the purchase of that part of Norwalk, lying between the Saugatuck and Norwalk rivers, by Roger Ludlow in February of 1640, and of the purchase of the central part of Norwalk in April of the same year, by Captain Daniel Patrick. The western portion was not pur- chased until 1651. Before that time a petition for the planting of Norwalk was presented at a session of the General Court of the Colony of Connecticut, June 26, 1650, by Nathaniel Ely and Richard Olmsted, both of Hartford, on behalf of themselves and other inhabitants of that city. They stated that they "desired the leave and approbation of the Court for the planting of Norwalk." The Court, after solemn consideration of the matter, failed to find any good reason why this city should not be planted.


In June, 1650, Roger Ludlow made an agreement with Nathaniel Ely and Richard Olmsted, both of Hartford and a group of planters, for the first settling of this city as fol- lows : "A copyie of the agreement and articles made between Roger Ludlow, of Fairfield, and Nathaniel Eli and Rithard Olmsted, with the rest, for the settlinge and plantinge of Norwalke. Articles of agreement made between Roger Ludlowe of Fairfield, esquire, of the one parte, and Nathan- iel Eli of Hartford, in the River of Connecticut, Rithard Olmsted of the same in the behalfe of themselves and Rit-


31


PURCHASE OF NORWALK


hard Webb, Nathaniel Rithards, Mathew Marvin, Rithard Seamer, Thomas Spencer, Thomas Hales, Nathaniel Rus- koe, Isacke Graves, Ralph Keeler, John Holloway, Edward Church, John Ruskoe, and some others about plantinge Norwalke, over the 19th day of June, 1650. Imprimis, the sayed Nathaniel Eli and Rithard Olmsted, doe covenant, and promise, and agree," etc .-


Wise in the ways of men was Roger Ludlow who inserted in the planting agreement a clause to the effect that the men should "set upon the planting with all convenient speed" so that the settlers might not tarry too long and lose their zest for the job; another clause to the effect that "an approved minister" should be secured as soon as possible, to guide and cheer them in times of stress; a third clause to the effect that the settlement must be commenced with at least "thirtie approved families" and not a scattering of adventurers and ne'er do wells; and lastly a clause to the effect that no one should be taken in who might be "obnoxious to the publique good of the Commonwealth of Connecticut," in order that the little settlement might grow up in peace and harmony, unhampered by dissenters and malcontents.


Of course, the planters pledged the purchase price of the property, fifteen pounds, to Mr. Ludlow, but it is doubtful if Ludlow, who was very well off for those times, needed the tiny sum, or if he ever asked for it. Rather we may assume that the settlers themselves maintained it was only right Mr. Ludlow should be paid; or perhaps they thought they would "feel better about it," if the land was properly bought and paid for.


It is noticed that sometimes Ludlow's name is spelled with a final "e" and sometimes without. In those days spelling was considered little consequence and often in the same ar- ticle, one name would be spelled in as many as three ways. In the Ludlow family histories the final "e" was found to be missing and so it is not being used in this history, except where it appears in records. It is interesting to note that our own Roger Ludlow Junior High school does not use


32


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


the final "e" while the Roger Ludlowe high school in Fair- field, does use the final "e". Thus is there a difference of opinion today in towns next door to one another.


ROWAYTON PURCHASE


In February, 1651, the western part of Norwalk including Rowayton was purchased. Kettles, coats, knives, stockings, hooks and pipes formed part of the price required by the redskins. Life and land were cheap in those days and large tracts of woods, meadows and shore property could be bought for a song. It is curious to discover that no glass beads entered into the deals between the Norwalkers and local children of the forest, although it has been generally accepted that the Indians insisted on beads as part payment in all transactions. That this was true of the southern braves is proven by the fact that as early as 1622, there was in Virginia a small factory the sole output of which was glass beads, to dazzle the eyes of the Indians.


The deed for the purchase of the western part of Nor- walk was as follows :


"This Indenture made the 15th of February, 1651, be- tween Runckinheage, Piamikin, and Magise, and Towntom, and Winnapucke, and Magushetowes, and Concuskenow, and Wampasum, and Sasseakun, and Runckenunnett, and Pokessake, and Shoakecum, and Soanamatum, and Prodax, and Matumpun, and Cockenoe-de-Long-Island, Indians, of the one Partie, and Richard Web, Nathaniel Eli, Matthewe Marven senr., Nathaniel Richards, Isacke More, Thomas Fitch, Thomas Hales, Richard Holmsted, Richard Seamer, Ralph Keeler, Mathew Marven, junior, Nathaniel Haies, Edward Church, Joseph Fitch, Planters of Norwake, for the use and behalfe of said Town, Witnesseth, that the said Runckinheage, and Piamikin, and so forth, Have, and in and for the consideration of Thirtie Fathum of Wampum, Tenn Kettles, Fifteen Coates, Tenn payr of Stockings, Tenn Knifes, Tenn Hookes, Twenty Pipes, Tenn Muckes, Tenn


33


PURCHASE OF NORWALK


Needles, to them in hand paid, Have, and Every of them, for themselves and their heyers, Granted, Bargained, Sold, assigned, Enfeoffed, and confirmed; and by these Presents doth Bargain, grant, sell, enfeoffe, assigne, sett over, and confirme, unto the said Richard Web and so forth, all their lands called and known by the name of Runckinheage, Rooa- ton, or by whatsoever name or names the same is called or known, Lying and bounded on the East upon ye land pur- chased of Captain Patriarke, so called, on the West bounded with the Brook called Pampaskeshanke, which said Brook and passage, the Bounds west, extendeth up into the Country by marked Trees; and so far as the said Runckinheage, and the rest above mentioned, hath any Right and propertie ; and the aforesaid Land bounded with the Brook called as afore- said Pampaskeshanke, from the aforesaid passage and path down along to the Sea. And the aforesaid Land bounded on the South with the Sea; and on the North the Moehakes Country; with the Islands, Trees, pastures, meadinge, water, water courses, Rights, members and Appurtenances what- soever, To Have and To Hold, and quietly and peacebly in- joy, all the aforesaid lands, and so forth unto the aforesaid Richard Web and so forth, and to their heyers forever. And the aforesaid Runckinheage and Piamikin, and Magise, and Townetom, Winnipucke, Magushetowes, Conkuskenow, Wampasum, Sasseakun, Runckenunnutt, Pokessake, Shoake- cum, Soanamatum, Prodax, Matumpun, Cockenoe-de-Long- Island, Do by these presents, acknowledge to have received the aforesaid Thirtie fathum of Wampum and so forth, in full satisfaction. In witness whereof, the above said parties have for themselves, and every of them, sett to their hands, the day and year above written to this present Indenture.


"Signed and delivered in the presence of Stephen Beck- with, Samuel Lumes, Samuel Ely.


Runckinheage, his mark. Piamikin, his mark. Conkuskenoe, his mark. Sasseakum, his mark.


34


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Wampassum, his mark.


Sassakun, his mark. Magise, his mark.


Winnapucke, his mark.


Townetom, his mark.


Prodax, his mark. Pokassake.


Runckemunutt."


The above deed enlarged the land of the Norwalkers, giv- ing to them the lands of Runckinheage or Rooaton, now known as Rowayton, and also the Norwalk islands.


FIRST SETTLERS


CHAPTER IV


Norwalkers Come From Hartford-Settle in East Norwalk "on plain neare the sea"-Newcomers of English and French Descent-Of Three Classes-Home Lots Planned Town Mapped Out.


1359868


Although, as mentioned a little earlier in this story, some histories give the impression that a few families planted themselves in Norwalk shortly after the purchase in 1640, such does not seem actually to have been the case. A few of the planters may have come here a season, perhaps two, before 1651, but the main body of settlers arrived during the early spring of that year. Literally hacking their way through the great forests and heavy undergrowth lying be- tween Hartford and Norwalk, the little band of men, women and children plodded along, day after day, on their long journey, sometimes cheered by bright sunshine, sometimes soaked by sudden storms. By night they camped under the stars, huddling together under blankets for protection against the chill damp of early Spring. The adults were not young people, rather were they of middle age and practically the whole group was made up of little families.


Since there were few wheeled conveyances in Connecticut until about the middle of the eighteenth century, even such simple ones as ox carts, it is reasonable to suppose that the settlers carried most of their slim household effects on the backs of oxen. It is possible that there were a few horses in the line of travel, although these beasts of burden were very scarce at the time. Picture the little band, if you can, the women and children in sombre hoods and cloaks, jogging along on the backs of heavily laden oxen; the men, stern of


35


36


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


face, and firm of step, trudging ahead and driving their stock before them, while a few in the advance guard chopped a path for those who were to follow. The path taken was through the interior of the country, in order to avoid the crossing of deep rivers emptying into the sound. That same path crossed the very ground over which now spreads a net- work of macadam highways crowded with high powered automobiles. At last, after a very laborious and trying journey, the Saugatuck river was reached and with some little difficulty crossed, and then the would-be settlers turned their steps in a direction, due west.


Just about sunset of a fine spring day, tradition has it, the Norwalk settlers reached the "Point of Rocks," above France St. Part of the very rocks on which the little band of men and women stood, to look over their new home, is now included in the foundation of the Norwalk bridge. From time to time in later years residents quarried a good deal of stone at the "Point of Rocks." What the early Nor- walkers thought when they caught their first glimpse of their future home, or what their emotions were, history does not tell us. Nor do we even know what they first saw, though, from that point, it could have been little more than tree tops and water. The travelers camped on the spot for the night and then early the next morning, commenced the last lap of their journey. It may be that they followed an old Indian path down into East Norwalk, or it may be that one of the planters already here, piloted them.


They made their way in a southerly direction to the plain "neare the sea" in East Norwalk, where they halted for good. The last stop of the travelers is now marked by the Founders' Stone, placed at the corner of East ave., and Fitch st., in 1896, by the Norwalk Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.


The stone tablet reads : "Norwalk founded A. D. 1649. Its earliest homes were planted in the vicinity of this stone. First meeting house directly opposite, west. Erected by the


37


FIRST SETTLERS


Norwalk chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolu- tion, 1896."


The meeting house referred to, on the stone, stood at the corner of East ave., and Fort Point st. A vacant lot with a yawning hole now marks the spot.


Any one of several reasons may explain why the new- comers settled in East Norwalk, instead of in what is now Norwalk or South Norwalk. Perhaps it was because the Indians before them had thought well enough of the East Norwalk plain to construct a fortress there against the Dutch. The redskins evidently considered Fort Point, where they built their rude protection, a good site for a lookout post, and the English may have felt the same way about it. Perhaps the whites felt they would be safer if they were at least partially hemmed in by water. They may have thought


the spot would be easier to defend in times of danger than any other. Again, the new settlers may have decided that they could get a broader view of the harbor and more sea- coast in East Norwalk than they could anywhere else. Or lastly, perhaps their decision was influenced merely by the fact that the plains of East Norwalk presented fewer diffi- culties than the hills of Norwalk or South Norwalk.


A MIXED COMPANY


Good men, tried and true, with wives to match their dar- ing and their perseverance were the first white Norwalkers. There seems to be no complete list of them, but a table of "Estates of lands and accommodations" in 1655, according to Hall's Norwalk, contains the following names: George Abbitt, Robert Beacham, Stephen Beckwith, John Bowton, Matthew Campfield, Nathaniel Eli, Thomas Fitch, John Griggorie, Samuel Hales, Thomas Hales, Walter Haite, Nathaniel Haies, Rev. Thomas Hanford, Richard Homes, Ralph Keeiler, Walter Keeiler, Daniel Kellogge, Thomas Lupton, Matthew Marvin, Senr., Matthew Marvin, Jr., Isacke More, Jonathan Marsh, Widow Morgan, Richard


38


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Olmsted, Nathaniel Richards, John Ruskoe, Matthias Sen- tion, Senr., Matthias Sention, Jr., Matthew Sention, Thomas Seamer, Richard Web.


In 1654 there appears a list of accounts which bears the additional following names : Bryant, Edward Church, Joseph Fitch, Edward Nash, Richard Raiment, Richard Seamer and Giles Whitinge, and in 1656, Owen Morgan and William Reid.


The following, who evidently came a few years later, ap- peared in the Table of Home Lots : Thomas Benedict, Sen., Thomas Benedict, Jr., John Benedict, Thomas Betts, Rich- ard Bushnell, Samuel Campfield, Christopher Comstock, John Crampton, Thomas Fitch, Jr., Joseph Fenn, John Greg- ory, Jr., Jakin Greggorie, Samuel Haies, Ephraim Lock- wood, Joseph Ketchum, John Keeler, James Pickett, Joseph Platt, Mark Sention, Robert Stewart, Samuel Smith, Thomas Taylor and Thomas Ward.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.