The romance of Norwalk, Part 7

Author: Danenberg, Elsie N. (Elsie Nicholas), 1900-
Publication date: 1929
Publisher: New York City, States History Co
Number of Pages: 568


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 7


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40


From 1731 to 1750, all was quiet respecting the western boundary of Connecticut, but an argument then arose be- tween this state and New York, about the ownership of islands in Long Island Sound. New York claimed that the southern boundary of Connecticut extended along the shore and no farther. Connecticut argued that it owned part of the waters in the Sound and some of the Islands. An agree- ment was finally reached whereby Fishers' Island off New London was given to New York and Calf Islands, at the mouth of the Byram river, to Connecticut. In 1871, a quarrel took place over Goose Island, near Norwalk Harbor. It was given to Connecticut.


By 1855, most of the old landmarks, mapping out the boundary line between the states of New York and Connec- ticut had been destroyed and, as many people were evading the payment of taxes to both states, it was thought best to order a resurvey. The original 1731 Ridgefield angle was retained, but a difference arose about the line from the angle north to the Massachusetts boundary line. Connecticut wanted the line straightened so that the crooked bulges, as seen on the heavy black line on the map, would not dip into her territory so much. But New York would not agree to this.


In December 5, 1879, an agreement was finally reached whereby Connecticut gave up her claim to the straight line (right hand dotted line, I to K, on map) and accepted the crooked one, as of 1731 (heavy black line). In exchange, her southern boundary line was extended into the Sound, as


78


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


marked on map. The above agreement was ratified by the legislatures of both states and was confirmed by Congress in the 1880-1881 session. Thus ended a wrangle of 200 years standing, and Norwalk was saved to Connecticut.


In considering the intense interest with which Norwalk viewed the 200 year struggle between Connecticut and New York states, over the western boundary line of this state, it should be remembered that Norwalk was once a deal larger than it is now, and a good portion of her territory was in jeopardy. At the time that this unending squabble was going on, 1650 to 1879, Norwalk included within its boun- dary lines, New Canaan and part of Wilton. The south- western corner of Wilton, then the northern part of Nor- walk, was lost to this town and to the state of Connecticut under agreement between Connecticut and New York in 1731. This was included in the "Oblong," the lower corner of which was north of the present townships of New Canaan and Stamford and west of the Ridgefield line. In return, Connecticut gained the major part of Norwalk, when the 1731 agreement was confirmed in 1879.


Several years previous to 1731, Norwalkers who lived close by the lower corner of the "Oblong," commenced mov- ing southward, farther into the town limits of Norwalk. Michael Lockwood and John Rusco of Norwalk were among the travelers. We also find that Alexander Ressigue of this town transferred his property rights from a corner of the "Oblong" to the center of Norwalk. This move fol- lowed a local town meeting in 1726 when Norwalk fathers granted liberty to such of its oblong citizens "that had lands taken away from them" . "to take up ye same in any of the unsequestered common lands in the township of Nor- walk."


A few years later, John Stewart of this town relinquished 3 and I-2 acres of Norwalk property, "cut off nigh until York line on ye Pound Ridge." Pound Ridge of course, now belongs to New York.


Besides arguing with Fairfield on the one side and Stam-


79


BOUNDARY DISPUTES


ford on the other, about boundary lines, and worrying as to whether it would come under New York jurisdiction after all, Norwalk was very busy right within its own town limits. Wolves were becoming increasingly bothersome and 20 shil- lings were allowed for each dead animal, provided the killer the "head and eares shewed."


The year 1670 saw the institution of a guard in the meet- ing house, five men being appointed "to procure a handsome and convenient seate made and sett up in the meting house, for a garde to sitt in, in the most suitable place, with all such conveniances for their Arms as they shall jug necessary, and the charg to be borne by the towne."


FIRST BRIDGE


Until this time there had been no bridge across the Nor- walk river but in 1671, the townspeople voted to build some sort of passage from bank to bank, the charge to be borne according to the list of estates then on record. In other words, a special tax was to be levied for building the struc- ture. In addition, the selectmen were urged to find out what the surrounding towns might feel out of generosity, that they could subscribe to such a proposition. Last but not least, it was voted to send for "Serjent Andrues of New- haven, to git him to come over to give us advise about the bridg and the town will bear the charge of his coming and going.' Nine years later, the town had got as far as ap- pointing John Whittney, James Pickett, Thomas Bennidick, Jr., to determine the place of erecting a bridge over the Norwalk river, they to decide "whither at the great rock be- low the lower cart path; or below the falls."


Just when the structure was finally completed or how solid an affair it was, is not known, but it evidently gave the authorities some little trouble and in 1694 a town meeting. was called to consider the repairing of the said bridge or the building of a new one. Matthew Marvin, John Whitney and Thomas Betts were named a committee to decide the matter.


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


CHAPTER VIII


Law Compels Sale of Liquor In Taverns-Madam Knight Arrives At Norwalk Inn-Local Men In King Philip's War-Saw Mill Erected-Schoolmaster Hired-Rev. Hanford Dies-First School Built.


PERMISSION for the erection of the first inn in Norwalk, a combined saloon and hotel, was given this town by the General Court at Hartford, in 1671. Christopher Com- stock was chosen and approved of "to kepe an ordinary for the entertaynment of strangers." In those days there was no prohibition law nor ban on liquors of any kind. In fact the courts insisted that wine and liquors be kept on hand at all time for the refreshment of travelers. Otherwise the inn keeper would be subject to punishment by the General Courts.


The Norwalker placed his tavern on the corner of East ave., on the crossing of the old Stamford to Fairfield road, very near the Founder's stone, at Fitch st., and East ave., and right across from the meeting house. Curiously enough, the second tavern, kept by Matthew Sention, was also placed right near the meeting house, which happened to be the second meeting house.


Now there was a cause for this: the law. When a man applied for permission to operate a tavern or "ordinary" he was allowed such only on condition that he place it near the meeting house. There were two reasons: first, so that the church officials might keep a weather eye open for any misdemeanors or loose drinking; and second, so that more of the early settlers might be induced to attend church meetings regularly. Of course, tavern keepers were warned


80


81


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


against allowing any loiterers to remain within the doors after services had started, or to admit customers before they finished, and there are cases on record where landlords were fined for so doing.


To Matthew Sention's Inn in Norwalk in 1704 there came one Madame Sarah Knight, Boston school teacher. Madame Knight made the trip by horse from Boston to New York. When Sarah Knight arrived in Norwalk, she found this place little to her liking and wrote an exceedingly uncompli- mentary piece about Matthew Sention's Inn as follows :


"About 9 at night we came to Norwalk, having crept over a timber of a broken bridge about 30 feet long and perhaps 50 to ye water. I was exceedingly tired out and cold when we came to our Inn and could get nothing there but poor entertainment and the impertinent babble of one of the worst of men, among many others, of which our Host made one, who, had he been one degree impudenter, would have out- done his Grandfather, and this I think is the most perplexed night I have yet had. From hence, Saturday, December 23, a very cold and windy day, after an intolerable night's lodg- ings, we hasted forward, only observing in our way the town to be situated on a navigable river, with indifferent buildings and people more refined than in some of the country towns wee had passed tho' vicious enough, the Church and tavern being next neighbors."


Having complained about the bridge, the tavern, the inn- keeper, the building and the people, the lady traveled on to the next town. It is evident she did not enjoy her stay here very much, nor did she think much of us.


KING PHILIP'S WAR


After a few years of comparative peace and mental rest, Norwalk was again thrown into consternation by the advent of the Indian War with King Philip in 1675, and Massa- chusetts, Plymouth and Connecticut combined their military forces. Norwalk contributed its proportion. At that time


82


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


there were about 50 men in the town and eleven of them took part in the Indian War.


Of the terror which spread through Connecticut like a sheet of flame and put each and every village on its guard, one historian says :


"By 1675 the danger from the Indians had become uni- versal and the fear of the scalp knife and the fire brand kept the villagers on the constant outlook. Indians hid in the woods, lurked in the barns and in the tall fields and con- cealed themselves even behind the meeting houses, bent on the destruction of each and every paleface.


"Women and children kept to the log cabins as much as possible and feared to stir without the men. Many a cruel blow with bloody tomahawk struck down a mother or child in the garden. Nor were the homes safe. More than one good wife looked up from her stewing deer meat on the cheerful hearth, to see an evil face, hideous in war paint, staring in the window.


"In many towns, the meeting houses were turned into forts and those who attended there on a Sabbath went there armed to the teeth. Grim pictures they made in that dread- ful winter following, tramping across the frozen, snow-cov- ered ground, single file, the women and the children in the center of the line, the men at either end, musket in right hand, Bible in left."


During the war, there took place deep in a tangled and boggy wood at North Kingston, southern Rhode Island, a so called "direful swamp fight." In deep snow the battle was fought and although the English were successful, they lost many men. Captain Seeley of Stratford lost his life in this engagement. Norwalkers who fought under him during the battle were: John Roach, Daniel Benedict, Sam- uel Keeler and Jonathan Stevenson. Others who fought in the Indian war against Philip were: Thomas Gregory, Thomas Hyatt, Joseph Platt, Jonathan Abbott, John Cramp- ton, James Jupp and John Belding.


In grateful appreciation of their services, Norwalkers at


83


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


a town meeting held January 12, 1676, ordered: "that the Towne in consideration of the good service that the souldiers sent out of the towne ingaged and performed by them in the Indian warr, out of respect and thankfulnesse to the sayed souldiers, doe with one consent and freely, give and grant unto so many souldiers as were in the service at the direful swamp fight, twelve acors of land; and eight acors of land to so many souldiers as were in the next considerable service; and fowre acors to those souldiers as were in the next considerable service."


At a town meeting November 9, 1677, it was agreed that "'ye watch should be laied down, until such time as there is more danger apering; and that we will stand by ye con- stable if any trubble should arise upon that account." Evi- dentally the Norwalkers decided it would no longer be necessary to keep constant vigil; but that they would be prepared, in an emergency, immediately to come to the aid of the constable. As far as is known, there is no record of any Indian in Norwalk taking part in the war against the English.


BUSY TIMES HERE


The years from the end of the war with King Philip in 1676 to the close of the 17th century, were very busy times in Norwalk. Outstanding events included :


1677, First saw mill, grant given to Richard Holmes on Five Mile River.


1678, Voted to hire the first schoolmaster.


1678, Town agreed to build new meeting house.


1679, Voted to mark all colts.


1683, Old meeting house sold.


1686, Voted to hire school master for quarter of year.


1686, Deputy sent to General Court.


1689, John Gregory gave deed to Fort Point to son, Thomas.


1693, Rev. Hanford died.


1694, Voted to procure another minister.


84


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


1695, Lot and house provided for minister.


1699, Voted to build a schoolhouse.


In the year 1678 it was voted to hire a schoolmaster for the children in the town, he to be Mr. Cornish. The idea of spending as little money as possible for education evi- dently prevailed in those days, even as in these, when con- tinual complaint about the cost of education is heard and school teachers are paid as little as possible. Then it was decided to "hier him (the teacher) upon as reasonable terms as they can." It is a significant fact that 27 years passed from the time the town was first settled, before the matter of hiring a schoolmaster even came before the town meet- ing. Perhaps the elders had no time for such things before.


At the time of the passing of the first act calling for the hiring of a schoolmaster the following number of children were listed : John Gregory, jr., had three "childring"; John Gregory Sr., one; Nathaniel Hays, 7; Thomas Lupton, 2; Richard Holms, 2; John Ruscoe, 5; Mr. Hanford, 6; Thomas Bennydick, Sr., 6; John Bouton, 5 ; John Hayte, I ; Thomas Betts, 8; Ephraim Lockwood, 3; John Platt, 3; Samuell Sension, 2; Robbart Steward, 5; Thomas Benny- dick, Jr., 2; Daniel Kellogg, 6; Mathew Marvin, jr., 6; George Abbot, 7; Mathew Sension, 7; Keilers, 3; Samuel Hayes, I; Jachin Gregory, 2; Thomas Taylor, 2; Judah Gregory, 3; Samuel Camfield, I; Thomas Fitch, jr., 4; Thomas Seamer, 7; John Raymond, I ; Edward Nash, 2.


The first white child born in Norwalk was said to have been John Nash, son of Edward Nash who settled in Nor- walk two years after its purchase.


The building of the second meeting house seemed to have caused no end of trouble. In fact no less than eleven town meetings were held before the problem was anywhere near settlement. December 17, 1678 at the first meeting on the matter, a heated squabble arose as to the site of the build- ing and it was decided to leave the problem in the hands of "three honest, indifferent, judisious Men," "the honered dep- uty Governor, the honered Major Goold, with the Reverend


85


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


Elder Buckingham." The building was not to be very large, just forty feet square, but it was to have a roof like that which adorned the Fairfield meeting house. Even in the mat- ter of a roof, Norwalk was not to be outdone.


January 31, 1679 a committee consisting of Mr. Fitch senr., Thos. Bennydick senr., Nathaniel Hays, John Bouton, John Platt, Thos. Fitch junr., was appointed to oversee the work of construction of the meeting house. Later, Daniel Kellogg, Mr. Haite and Robert Stewart were added to the committee. June 2, 1680 it was announced that the General Court approved of the site of the new meeting house. The house was to be erected on East ave., about one block away from the old building.


During the various other meetings held to decide certain matters pertaining to the town house, it was voted to put cedar shingles on the building provided they didn't cost too. much; to put more comfortable seats in the new house of worship; to settle the matter of correct seating once and for all; to fortify the place against war; and to erect a gallery in the back part of the meeting house. Work on this was to be rushed in order that it might be completed before the ordination of Norwalk's second minister, Rev. Stephen Buckingham.


The matter of correct seating in the meeting house took some time to iron out. At length it was decided that those who had paid the most in the building of the place of wor- ship should have the choice seats. The seat or pew under the pulpit however, was to be kept for the deacons. Other seats in the congregation were assigned according to rank, age or wealth. The "honorable women" followed in this respect the rank of their husbands. Great care was neces- sary in the seating, so that "no person shall be degraded or brought lower than they are now seated."


In 1702 John Gregory and Matthew Marvin were given liberty to sit in the Deacon's seat, a great honor. As late as 1754, when the governor came to town and was permitted to choose his own seat, the matter was still one of paramount


86


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


importance. In one of the later notes on town records, is a short piece which might give the reader the impression that in the early days a man's character was judged according to the price he paid for his pew. There was for instance David Boult. "David Boult of pew 27 was a man, who, it is inferred, could be counted upon. There were 18 who paid more, and 49 who paid less for their pews than he; which seems to indicate his parish status straight through."


The gathering held to decide about the gallery in the building was the eleventh called for the purpose of deciding some question about the second meeting house, before 1700. After that date several more were called for one thing or another concerning the same building. Only four meetings were necessary for the erection and completion of the first house of worship, but as the town grew in importance, so did its inhabitants grow in importance and they became more and more particular about details as time went on.


REV. HANFORD DIES


The beloved Rev. Thomas Hanford, first minister in Nor- walk, died December 26, 1693, at the ripe old age of 73, after a pastorate of more than 40 years. When he died, he left to his wife the largest estate in the town of Norwalk. The pastor had a large following. One of the pioneers in the settlement, he had been faithful, hard working, loyal and honest and at his death he was sincerely mourned by the congregation.


The next business on hand was the securing of a new min- ister. Rev. Mr. Stone arrived in town in 1694 but remained here only six months. The following year, the Rev. Stephen Buckingham, of whose diversions from the straight and nar- row path of sobriety we shall hear more later, came to Nor- walk.


He was a well educated, well bred man, broadminded, in- telligent, industrious. He brought with him to this city his treasured London library of books. The town, in a burst of


87


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


generosity, in quick succession, voted a lot for the minister, ten acres of plowing land and a very modern house: "two story high, or two lofts and double chimneys; and a comely porch to syd house; and a seller under one end of the syd house; and stone the syd seller; the sayed house is allso to have a comly gett at each end of the same; and all to be decently finished upon the towne's cost." Note the magnifi- cence of the home with its two stories, double chimneys, pretty porch, gate at each end of the property and stone cellar. In addition, the town decided to give free fire wood to the minister and eighty pounds a year in salary. It was the new "seller", one of the first in Norwalk, provided by the town in order that the Rev. Buckingham might have the best house in town, that later proved the good minister's undoing. But more of the Rev. Buckingham later.


FIRST SCHOOLHOUSE


The last act of the Town of Norwalk in 1699, on Novem- ber 27, before the century closed, was to vote for the erec- tion of the first schoolhouse in the settlement.


Picture the first schoolhouse, on East ave., 18 by 20 feet, a door at one end, a fire place at the other; hard wooden benches without backs; a wide-boarded floor.


There were a few books in the colony by this time al- though the Bible was still the main text book, Sundays and week-days alike. The children wrote on slate slabs for the most part, even as did their English cousins. When rough paper was available, an ink of soot and vinegar was used which was carefully doled out from a leather bottle. But paper was scarce, for up to the year 1690, when the first paper mill was opened in Philadelphia, all writing and wrap- ping material had to be imported from England. The boys and girls had to go to school five full days in the week and a half a day Saturday. During the latter session, the Bible was religiously studied, there being no Sunday schools at the time.


The three main school books were the above mentioned


88


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Good Book, the dictionary and the Latin grammar. Writ- ing was the most important subject of all; a scholar who could not write a fair hand by the time he left school was a recognized failure. Certain it is that little attention was given to spelling, judging by some of the early records, wherein even the proper names of the residents themselves were put together with different combinations of letters on every other page.


Girls were taught to cook, to sew, to embroider, to knit, to make initials, to quilt, to brew, to weave, and sometimes even to make paper flowers and paint on velvet squares. A good heavy walnut stick, a birch rod or a leather strap usually kept the students in order.


Norwalk boys and girls who consider their lot in life to be hard, should look for a moment at the lives of the early sons and daughters here. They commenced by being bap- tized in church on the first Sunday after birth, regardless of weather, and even if the ice had to be broken in the baptismal bowl in order to complete the ceremony !


Worms, rickets and fits were the chief curses of early childhood and for these the colonists used remedies of "Snail water or Snail Pottage" and frightful doses of senna and rhubarb. Mothers strove of course to keep their children as healthy as possible. There is no record of what hap- pened if the parents followed the advice given in one old 1 8th century almanac where it was said that children should be toughened by allowing them only thin soled shoes, "that the wet may freely come in." It was also advised that young children should always have their beer a little heated, that they should drink said beer only after having eaten a piece of brown bread, and that the remainder of the meal should consist of "milk, pottage, flummery and cheese."


Of toys there were few and of books less. Can you imagine the Norwalk boys and girls of today enjoying such volumes as : "Some Examples of Children in Whom the fear of God was remarkably budding before they died, in several parts of New England," by Cotton Mather, Puritan pastor and


89


FIRST INN-FIRST SCHOOL


author, and ancestor of the Norwalk Mathers; or "A Token for Children. Being the exact account of the Conversion and Holy and Exemplary Lives of several Young Children."


Of course all was not dark and dreary in the life of the child in the early history of this town; all was not school, church, "chores" and disagreeable medicines. There was fishing and rabbit hunting, quoit pitching and playing ball for the boys. The little girls, after they had completed their duties around the house, were free to turn their attention to "samplar marking," of which they seemed abnormally fond, to embroidery work, or even to making doll clothes. In the summer there were husking parties, haying parties, apple paring and quilting parties for old and young. There were social evenings too, although when the nine o'clock curfew rang, the young people had to scurry to their homes. Picture one of these winter social evenings. Outside deep snow and bitter cold. In the little clapboard house, the neighborhood group clustered around the roaring hearth where logs, as much as five feet in length, blazed.


To the young people were allotted the stiff backed wains- cot settles on each side of the hearth. There they sat, blis- tering their faces and freezing their backs, as they bent over copybooks or embroidery threads. Those whose hands were idle, occupied themselves with roasting nuts gathered the autumn before. The older folks sat facing the hearth, the man of the house with finger on place in the Bible, the good- wife winding her yarn or rocking the baby's cradle. The cheery crackling of the fire; the low friendly hum of voices ; the subdued giggles of the boys and girls glancing warily ever and anon at the sleeping baby; the soft light of candles shedding a warm glow over all, somehow gave one a feeling of peace and contentment; an impression of family and group solidity.


TOWN PROSPERS


The close of the 17th century, which marked the end of the first fifty years of Norwalk's existence, found the little settlement in quite a prosperous condition. The Indians were


90


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


peaceful; the danger and annoyance from the wolves had practically abated; the wilderness had proved fruitful. The little group of log cabins down around old Fort Point had spread out and widened until now there were new homes all along East avenue up into what is now Norwalk. Over the river in Old Well, now South Norwalk, there were also a number of houses, not log cabins, but up to date frame clap- board structures. Like a growing group the original little settlement stretched its legs until it covered, in scattered man- ner, parts of East Norwalk, South Norwalk, Norwalk, Saugatuck, Wilton and New Canaan.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.