The romance of Norwalk, Part 26

Author: Danenberg, Elsie N. (Elsie Nicholas), 1900-
Publication date: 1929
Publisher: New York City, States History Co
Number of Pages: 568


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 26


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40


The building was formally opened September 30, 1885. In 1890, the library and reading room were made free and the property transferred to the city, the gift from the library directors being accepted by the city December 9, 1890. A tax of 1-4 mill annually amounting to about $1,300 to $1,800 was laid for its support. In 1900 a bequest was made to the library of the interest of $1,000 'by Robert H. Rowan, a life member of the old corporation. This appears to be the only large money gift in the history of the library.


The first board of directors of the reorganized library in- cluded: Col. Leslie Smith, A. Blanchard, W. B Reed, T. I.


328


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Raymond, C. F. Hallock, R. H. Golden, Charles Adams, G. S. North and J. J. Cavanagh. C. F. 'Hallock was elected first president and Angeline Scott, librarian, dating from January 3, 1891. A. Blanchard became president in 1895. Miss Scott served 15 years as librarian until 1905 when she resigned in order to be married. The next three librarians were : Miss Frances Pelton, Middletown, 1905 ; Miss Flor- ence L. Stoddard, Salem, Mass., 1906; Miss Abigail Farren, New Haven, 1907.


Early in 1908 Miss Farren urged the library board to apply to the Carnegie Foundation for a new library building. George North, chairman'of the library committee gave Miss Farren permission to write to the Carnegie Committee. Miss Eva C. Goeppinger, formerly of Ravenna, Ohio, a pupil of Miss Farren's and assistant librarian in the South Norwalk Library from 1909 to 1924, was given permission to write to her Cousin Adolph Groetzinger of Pittsburgh, a mem- ber of the Carnegie Committee. Through the efforts of both librarians, according to the friends of each, the South Norwalk Library received a grant of $20,000 for a building. In return, the city was to agree to provide a suita- ble 'site for the building and to maintain the library at a cost of not less than $2,000 a year. An option was secured on a piece of property, corner of North Main and Pine sts. in 1908 but the proposition died. It was revived in 191 I and a site secured on the corner of Washington and Frank- lin sts. The property was purchased and in March, 1913, the new building, the present library, was completed. Many gifts were received then and in future years, a partial list being given in the appendix.


Mrs. Agnes Blanchard became librarian in December 1908, serving until October, 1926, when she resigned be- cause of illness. Miss Ella C. Lindeberg was appointed in December, 1926, and she is still serving. Well liked, she has rendered the library invaluable service by starting a col- lection of children's books, duplicates of the best books writ- ten for children, keeping the books apart from the regular


=


HORSE CAR ON WEST AVENUE


In such a conveyance, one of several operated by the Norwalk Horse Railway or "Red Line", did the residents ride 60 years ago.


MARY


TALE


AADING ROOM


EARLY SOUTH NORWALK LIBRARY


This library in the year 1885 was housed in a business block, 108 Wash- ington street. The store, 1929, housed the Fox Cycle and Hardware Co.


329


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


library shelves, as a reference collection for the use of par- ents and teachers. The present board of directors includes Hon. John H. Light, president; William P. Ward, vice- president; J. Frederick McMahon, secretary; Burgis D. Jennings, treasurer; Charles B. Miller, Joseph Davis, Fran- cis H. Northrop and Charles J. Taylor.


NORWALK LIBRARY


The spirit of Dotha Stone Pinneo, strong but gentle, sym- pathetic but not sentimental, gracious, generous; a spirit as steady and deep 'seated as her own principles, created and sustained the Norwalk public library which we know today. A circulating library with a membership fee of $2 was in- corporated May 7, 1879, to satisfy the desires of the read- ing public of Norwalk. For many years the people were served by the little circulating library which gradually grew larger and larger until it could not longer be confined in such a limited institution. The library was taken over by the city of Norwalk and on July 18, 1896, was formally opened as the City of Norwalk Public Library. Miss Pinneo at that time took up the duties of librarian, being the first to head the new city institution. The librarian, not a Nor- walker, came here 'in 1890 full of enthusiasm and the zest of life and determined to do her part in the community. It was not long before she became well known all through the east. She was the originator of the Story Teller's hour in libraries, was an excellent'lecturer, in fact, had been lecturer on history for the New York board of education for ten years; and was for 12 years secretary of the Connecticut state Federation of Women's Clubs.


The Norwalk public library was first located next to the old Boston store, which stood on the northwest corner of Wall and Main sts., where a new business block 'was re- cently completed. Later it moved to the Norwalk club build- ing, 67 Wall st. When the 20th century opened, a concerted effort began to gain for the Norwalk library a


330


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


home of its own. Miss Pinneo was a leading figure in this movement, and one of those who sought out Andrew Car- negie to enlist his interest in the cause. Through the efforts of Miss Pinneo, the Hon. E. J. Hill and Dr. James G. Gregory, the first president of the board of directors, the main floor of the present structure on the corner of Mott and Belden Aves., was erected in 1903. Mr. Carnegie gave $20,000 for the building. Hubert Bishop of this city donated the grounds on which it stands.


The lower floor was finished in 1912 through the efforts of Miss Pinneo, the Civic League and a bequest from Mrs. Marie P. James of $1,000. Citizens contributed about $5,000 for furniture and fittings, and at that time the whole plant was 'valued at about $39,000. The present value would be more than $75,000. Under Miss Pinneo's direc- tion, the Norwalk public library prospered. The circle of readers grew broader and broader; likewise the usefulness of the institution constantly widened.


But fate did not intend that the energetic librarian should enjoy for 'long the fruit of her labors. One pouring wet Saturday night, November 1, 1919, Miss Pinneo and her co-worker, Miss Margaret Wilson, were knocked down by a speeding automobile, just outside the library. Miss Pinneo was the more seriously injured, her injuries later causing her death, February 7, 1924. All Norwalk mourned this friend'of all friends and a memorial fund was immediately commenced. Among those who sent donations was little Jean Chandler of Park st. who had earned $.25 expressly for the fund. After the fund was raised, the committee in charge discovered that it had sufficient money on hand, not only to place on the walls of the library a fitting mural tablet honoring the woman who for 28 years had served the city as librarian, but also to refit the library auditorium, a long unfulfilled dream of Dotha Stone Pinneo's.


The Norwalk library today is ably carrying on its work under the direction of Miss Margaret Wilson, fit follower in the footsteps of Miss Pinneo. Miss Wilson has gone far to-


331


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


ward bringing the library up to the high standard it enjoys today. She has given much time along lines outside her regular library work; talked before schools and clubs ; given explanatory talks to groups of boys and girls at the library and made the children's book week started by Miss Pinneo in 1918, one of the most successful of the library under- takings. Working with Miss Wilson are nine directors ap- pointed for three years each. Dr. James G. Gregory is president of the board and Thomas C. Balcom, secretary and treasurer. The first taxing district supports the insti- tution with an appropriation of $9,000, and the present cir- culation of books is eight to every man, woman and child within its confines. During the years since the Norwalk Library came into existence, a large number of gifts have been received, a partial list being given in the appendix.


ROWAYTON LIBRARY


"The evolution of the Rowayton Free Library from an idea, to an accomplished fact, was simple, and on the surface, almost meteoric, in the rapidity with which it de- veloped," says Mary Frances Hackley in a report sent to the Connecticut Library Committee on the Rowayton library organized in 1903. Monday evening, December 28, 1903, the Rowayton Free Library and Reading room opened with a reception in a room rented for $4 a month in Craw's Hall, Mrs. W. J. Craw, owner, on Rowayton ave., near Mckinley st., a little below Guider's corner. The quarters had previously been'a store so there were plenty of shelves for the books already gathered, some 300 in all. These consisted of the first gift, 29 volumes from Mrs. John Sherman Hoyt of'Contentment Island, Tokeneke, and loans from Mrs. Craw, Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Hackley and Miss Mary Hackley, besides collections loaned by the state board of public libraries and the Bodley club library.


The first furnishings were donated by Mrs. Craw, Mrs. Charles Guider, Mrs. Hackley and others. Miss Jennie Scott


332


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


was the first librarian. The first officers were: Mrs. Craw, president; Mrs. Guider, first vice president; Mrs. J. H. Slater, now Mrs. John Flint, second vice president; Miss Hackley, secretary and treasurer; Mrs. Edgar Lane, chair- man of the book committee; Mrs. Hackley, chairman of the entertainment and room committee; Dr. Hackley, chairman of the advisory committee. The association was duly in- corporated in Hartford, July, 1905.


In the beginning the library depended for support on subscriptions and benefit affairs, one of these being a moon- light carnival, in which the late John Huffington, noted Rowayton artist, appeared as an Indian chieftain, garbed in white, in a white canoe: "The Spirit of Tokeneke." In 1922 the sixth taxing district taxed itself $100 for the library. This amount was raised to $500 in 1927. From time to time artist exhibitions have been held at the library under the direction of Miss Mabel Thomas. In 1926 the library purchased the building formerly occupied by the Reliance Hook and Ladder Co. in Rowayton ave. The auditorium in the present building is rented as occasion offers, for community affairs.


According to the last annual'report of the librarian, the Rowayton library boasted no less than 7,5 14 visitors during 1928-1929. There are 4,407 books on the shelves today. Librarians have included : Miss Jennie Scott, Miss Elizabeth Pennell, Miss Patton of New Haven, Miss Clara Raymond of Darien, Mrs. Leach, Miss Beatrice De Waters, Miss Clara Raymond of East Norwalk, Miss'Maria Millspaugh, Miss Dorothy Wells, Miss Willa Smith, Miss Mayla Sco- field, Miss Shirley Bowman, and Mrs. Henry Wing, present able custodian. ' The present board includes: Mrs. Percy Barrett, president; Mrs. Edgar Lynch, first vice president; Mrs. Harold Douglas, second vice president; Mrs. George Wright, recording secretary; Mrs. Harry Taylor, corres- ponding secretary; Mrs. Ira Kiggins, treasurer; Mrs. C. B. Albrecht, book committee; Mrs. Edgar Raymond, mem- bership committee; Mrs. Edgar Lynch, entertainment and


333


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


house committee; Mrs. Douglas, advisory board; Mrs. Earle Stevens, publicity.


Mention should here be made of the very first Rowayton library, commenced in the early 1860's, according to Mrs. H. Crosswell Tuttle, formerly 'of Rowayton and now of New York, and mother of U. S. Attorney Charles H. Tuttle of New York. George Palmer Putnam, New York pub- lisher, got together the first volumes, she says. A room was secured over one of the village shops, and a one legged veteran put in charge. Among those who assisted in the raising of funds, according to Mrs. Tuttle, was Horace Greeley, editor of the New York Herald Tribune, who gave benefit lectures in Rowayton. The library progressed for a time, then the one' legged veteran suddenly dis- appeared, taking with him all the library money and as many books as he could carry. The library closed shortly afterwards.


EAST NORWALK LIBRARY


The appeal of an invalid girl, who wanted the East Nor- walk Improvement association to find means whereby free books might be distributed in the community, brought about the organization of the East Norwalk library in 1915. Three years previous to this time the association, alive to the growing need for a public hall in East Norwalk, planned in the winter of 1912, the Community hall which now stands at 51 Van Zant st. A canvass 'was made for contributions toward payment for grounds, small envelopes being dis- tributed among the homes. When collected, one envelope from an invalid 'girl contained $.37 and her request that the association give out free books when Community hall was built.


This request for reading matter so 'appealed to the asso- ciation that it voted to work toward establishing a public library which would eventually be located in the hall, and its school committee was instructed to organize a library


334


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


committee to work toward this end. This committee, con- sisting of Mrs. Ellis H. Taylor, chairman, Mrs. George E. Thompson, Mrs. Frank Bissell, Mrs. Wallace Marvin and Mrs. Edward Robertson, formulated plans and on January 9, 1915, opened a library in Rundle's Bakery on Van Zant st. The equipment at the time consisted of 100 books, a gift from the Norwalk Library, through Miss Dotha Stone Pinneo, librarian, and a Connecticut state loan of 60 books. These were promptly added to by other friends.


The library continued at its original location until Octo- ber 29, 1917, when it moved into new quarters in the realized Community hall, having grown tremendously in the meantime. A rummage sale netting $116, a generous gift of $150 from Mrs. John McMullen and $20 from a friend allowed the purchase of shelving and furniture.


The library has grown to exceed 5000 volumes, num- bered among which is a special group designed for the use of junior and senior high school students in their school work, Miss Mariposa Taylor, 135 Flaxhill road, being re- sponsible for this installation. Early in the history of the institution, cataloging was inaugurated under the capable direction of Miss Eva Goeppinger, formerly of Ravenna, Ohio, and this work helped in promptly securing a grant from the state when application was made for same, to- gether with a similar grant from Norwalk. There has been a paid librarian since 1921. Mrs. Edward Davis is the present librarian. The library has an average circulation of about 100 books per day and about 800 borrowers. The present library committee consists of : Mrs. L. M. Waite, chairman; Mrs. Charles Seymour, Miss Amy Young, Miss Marcia Hendrick, Mrs. Edward Davis, Mrs. Lester Platt, Mrs. Robert B. B. Foote and Stewart Marshall.


"ADELPHI" EXPLOSION


Shrieks of the dying and wails of the maimed, rent the misty air in Norwalk harbor on the morning of September


335


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


28, 1878, when the steamer "Adelphi" filled with vacation- ists and travelers, blew up as it was passing Dorlon's point, killing 12 and injuring more than 20. The steamer had left its dock in South Norwalk but five minutes before and everyone was in good humor over the prospect of an enjoy- able trip, when, without the slightest warning, an over- heated boiler burst. The boat was almost torn apart, some of the passengers were blown to bits, others knocked down, still others were cast into the swirling waters. Many were painfully scalded by escaping steam.


Norwalk people were among the twelve killed, accord- ing to newspaper records at the time, the most prominent being Mrs. Eunice C. Boole, wife of the Rev. W. H. Boole, pastor of the South Norwalk M. E. Church. Others who lost their lives were: Henry Allen, a carpenter of this city, Elijah Betts of North Wilton; Frederick Metz Swartz, brother of Christian Swartz, treasurer of the Old Well Cigar Company, this city; Charles B. Ford of Illinois who was visiting Captain Hiram Bell in South Norwalk; Mabel Wood, six, whose father, a New York lawyer, lived in West- port; Benjamin Ackert, brother of the steward, August Ackert; Gabriel Hoyt, Hartford; Sarah Leonard, Bridge- port; Charles Lord, Mass., who with his bride was on his way to New York for a holiday; Theodore Raymond, Brooklyn. Local people who were injured included: Libbie Selleck, Mrs. R. M. Wilcox, Samuel Banks, Horace Dann and J. F. Gewner.


No sooner had the explosion taken place, than the 152 passengers were thrown into a panic, many attempting to jump overboard. The officers and crew of 12 managed to restrain them from doing so which undoubtedly lessened the loss of life. The engineer, James W. Howland and his assistant Edward Howland, never left their posts in the engine room although they were scalded by steam. A great hole ten feet by three feet was blown in the main deck over the boiler. A passenger passing at the time was shot out into the water and instantly killed. A moment before


336


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


he had left his wife on one of the lower decks. A horse was also thrown into the harbor but managed to swim ashore. Not so lucky were a bootblack and his customer, both of whom were blown overboard when the explosion took place, losing their lives. Fate saved the Selleck school boys of Norwalk who were going on an excursion. Like- wise the Georgetown school boys with their master, were rescued.


Relief expeditions rushed to Dorlon's Point as soon as the nature of the catastrophe became known. The tug, "Hiram Bender" towed the "Adelphi" to the dock and the dead and the dying were stretched out on the pier, with every nurse and doctor in the city in attendance. Charles H. Oakes of Rowayton, an eye witness of the catastrophe was one of the first men to give aid to the injured. He tells of pouring sweet oil on a man's burned hands, the skin of which was hanging in shreds, and of bandaging them with strips torn from the bed sheets of the Dorlon House hotel. Frantic friends and relatives, dashed up and down the dock, peering into the face of this inert body, or that mangled, still breathing form. The sobs and wails of the bereaved, mingled with the groans of the dying. Not since the railroad wreck on the East Norwalk bridge in 1853 had horror so gripped the city.


Official investigations which followed later, revealed the fact that James Howland, engineer, had been negligent in allowing the boiler to remain in poor condition. It also re- vealed the fact that J. W. Blake, the inspector, had not made a proper inspection of the boiler during the spring, so he was partly at fault for the disaster. The "Adelphi" was built in 1851, rebuilt in 1863 and called the "City of Albany." It was sold in 1867 and came to Norwalk ten years later, Commodore White using it for service between South Norwalk and New York city. The boat had been making the run between the two cities just a year when the explosion took place. George E. Holton was captain of


337


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


the vessel at the time; Erastus Geer was pilot and William Wilkins, first officer.


FIRST TELEPHONES


"That man must be crazy, plumb crazy. No one but a nut talks to himself !" a one time conductor on the Seaview ave. carline, ruminated in alarm as he sat in the dentist chair in the office of Dr. George S. Kendall, 9 Washington st., and listened to a monologue in an adjoining room. The patient had just about decided to run from the office be- fore anything happened when the dentist returned and to the man's excited questioning calmly replied that he was "talking on the telephone." Skeptical, the patient had to be convinced, for in those days, the telephone was not only a novelty but a complete mystery and there were many who did not believe the thing really worked at all, but vaguely hinted at "fakes."


Norwalk's first telephone exchange was organized and operated by the Stamford and Norwalk Telephone Co., under the joint stock corporation laws of the state of Con- necticut, January 23, 1880. Headquarters were at Stam- ford and a "trunk line" as it was then known, consisting of one grounded iron wire, connected the two exchanges of Stamford and Norwalk. J. K. Butler, of Darien, one of the pioneers in the telephone business, built and operated the exchanges. Capital stock of the company amounted to $20,000, the par value of shares being $25 each. It is believed that Dr. Charles Maney, dentist, who died during the past year and who had offices at 22 Wall st., this city, for 50 years, was the first man in town to have a telephone.


The territory which the company expected to develop included the towns of Stamford, Norwalk, Darien and Greenwich. Directors at the time were: H. R. Towne, George E. Scofield, H. C. Hawes, C. G. Child, James W. Hyat, R. H. Rowan, D. H. Clark, C. O. Miller, James D. Smith, W. C. Barclay, E. O. Keeler, E. Beard and A.


338


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


S. Hurlburt. Officers were : Henry R. Towne of Stamford, president; George E. Schofield, secretary; D. H. Clark, treasurer; James K. Butler, general superintendent. The company sold its two exchanges to the Connecticut Tele- phone Company, now the Southern New England Tele- phone Co., November 21, 1881. At the time of the sale, the number of stations in Stamford was less than 200 and in Norwalk, less than 100. An ancient telephone book dated January 15, 1891, still preserved in the local branch office of the Southern New England Telephone Co., Washington st., shows Norwalk listed with 138 telephones including both private and business lines. How slowly the people took to the "new fangled notion !" In ten years only 40 or 50 new telephones had been installed.


These 138 telephones served the towns of Norwalk, New Canaan, Westport, Wilton and Weston. There were only six public telephones in the entire district : one in the R. H. Plaisted drug store, Washington st .; one in the New Canaan Messenger office in New Canaan; one each in the Housatonic Railroad Co. offices in Winnipauk, Wilton, Wil- son Point, South Norwalk; one owned by W. E. Osborn in Westport.


The telephone models used in the early 1890's differed a great deal from those popular today. First there was the granular button wall set with a crank, used in private homes. It was necessary to turn the crank several times before the operator's attention could be attracted. Then there was the queer looking long neck long distance extension and desk set, an elaborate affair; the coin box model, and last but not least, the long distance cabinet set, which looked for all the world like an expensive radio model. This was a costly piece of furniture, built like a cabinet, of excellent wood, carved perhaps, with a long box underneath for the reception of the money. The Plaisted drug store on West Washington st., was one of the last establishments to have one of these much envied models.


It was very difficult in the early days to sell telephones


339


LIBRARIES-TELEPHONES


in Norwalk especially in the outlying districts, partly be- cause the people thought they were fakes and partly be- cause the men took the attitude that their women had something else to do besides gossip over one of the "new fangled" things. Edward Smith, commercial agent, still with the South Norwalk branch, recalls the time when discour- aged salesmen used to troop into the office with only four or five sales each to their credit, for the week's work. Today finds the city with no less than 8067 installations, more phones being sold over the counter in a day than were formerly sold on the road in a month. In 1881, the central telephone office was in the Fairfield County Bank Building on Wall st. In 1896 it was removed to South Norwalk into the Sentinel Building, 97 Washington st., because Norwalk imposed so many restrictions on the company that it couldn't grow. The branch moved into the H. Krieger and Co. . building on West Washington st., in August, 1903, remain- ing there, housed on the second floor until March, 1912. At that time, the present building, 17 Washington st., was acquired. In 1925, enlargements were made, the company moving its equipment to the site of the present Charnok meat market, 65 North Main st., and remaining there from March to November, 1925. At the end of that time the branch returned to 17 Washington st.


USE OF TELEGRAMS


Just when the Western Union Telegraph Co. came to town, isn't known for not even the main office has any records to that effect. It is known, however, that there was a Western Union here before 1895, the office being housed with the railroad station, at the time that the station and the tracks were still on the ground at Washington st., and South Main st. The tracks were raised over Washington st. in 1895. From this site, the company moved to 2 South Main st., then to quarters in the Telephone Co. building, then to North Main st., where the Angevine Furniture


340


ROMANCE OF NORWALK


Co. now stands, 18 North Main st. and lastly to its pres- ent home, 29 South Main st. Telegrams were not used to any great extent in South Norwalk in the early days, most of the calls being for business, sickness or death. Few social telegrams were transmitted for they were looked upon as a great extravagance. Of late years, the cable has come into everyday use where once it was taken off the shelf only for very special occasions.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.