USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 4
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40
In the following sketch is contained some of the outstand- ing facts concerning the early settlers. It is curious to note that one was a carpenter; another, "no subsedy man"; an- other, a minister; a fourth, an escaped rebel; a fifth, a French refugee; a sixth, a "viewer of chimneys," and still another a "juryman." Constables, soldiers, innkeepers, wid- ows, young boys traveling alone, and even magistrates were among our first residents of Norwalk. All seem to have settled right down and gone to work, regardless of previous training, and all seem to have lived to a ripe old age. Some even amassed quite a fortune, for those days, before passing on to their reward.
"High spots" in the careers of these early Norwalkers are given as follows: George Abbott or Abbitt is thought to have been a French refugee to England who emigrated from Dorchester, England, with his master. His name first appeared on the Colonial records of Connecticut in 1640, as a servant. He was fined in Windsor for selling a "pystol and powder to the Indians, and bound to his good behavior."
39
FIRST SETTLERS
He never held office. In 1690 he had an estate of 120 pounds. He died at the age of about 74.
Robert Beacham or Beauchamp is thought to have left England under an assumed name to escape penalty for re- bellion against the king. He lived here from 1651 to 1661, when he moved to Fairfield. March 29, 1655, he was ap- pointed to the high office of field gate keeper in Norwalk for a year. According to the first property list, he had an estate of 173 pounds.
Stephen Beckwith or Beckett was brought to the colony of Massachusetts in the ship "Francis" in 1634 at the age of eleven. In 1649 he was a resident of Hartford from where he emigrated to Norwalk.
John Bouton or Bowton was a French refugee from Eng- land. His ancestors are authentically traced back to the latter part of the twelfth century. He is a lineal descendant of the Boutons of Chantilly, France. He had three wives, the first dying soon after her arrival in Norwalk. The third was the Widow Stevens, whose first husband was killed in the "dire swamp fight." Bouton was made freeman in 1664 and was selectman and surveyor at various times. He also represented the town at the General Assembly for several years. He died when about 90 years old.
Thomas Betts is thought to have come from Buckingham, England. He was in Guilford in 1650 and probably came to Norwalk in 1650 or 1651. He was a representative from Norwalk to the General Assembly for several years. In 1687 his estate was valued at 196 pounds.
Thomas Benedict, Sr., was a lineal descendant of William Benedict who resided in Nottingham, England, in the year 1500. Thomas Benedict of Norwalk, of the fourth genera- tion, from William, was also born in Nottingham, England, in 1617. He arrived in Norwalk in 1665; was town clerk here three times, several years a selectman and several years a representative in the Colonial legislature. He was also elected dean of "Ye Prime Society" of Norwalk. Thomas Benedict, Sr., of Norwalk is progenitor of the numerous
40
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
families of that name in this country. He was 73 when he died while his widow lived to the age of 106.
Francis Bushnell was a carpenter. At the age of 26 he left England in the ship "Planter" for New England with his wife, aged 26, and one child aged one, in 1635. He carried with him to the port from whence he sailed, a cer- tificate that he was "no subsedy man." He arrived in Nor- walk in 1653.
Matthew Canfield or Campfield was a magistrate and judge in Hartford and a prominent man in all official busi- ness. He was one of the signers of a petition to King Charles Second of England for the colony. He was made a citizen of Norwalk in 1654, and was at various times a deputy, assistant deputy and deputy commissioner here.
Christopher Comstock came to Norwalk from Fairfield in 1661. In 1690 he had an estate rated at 200 pounds. He was approved of "to kepe an ordinary for the entertain- ment of strangers," and was a sergeant in the town militia. He came from England.
John Compton or Crampton came to Norwalk about 1656. In 1679 he was voted three acres of land because "he was a soldier in the late Indian war."
Joseph Fenn came to Norwalk about 1655. March 27, 1665, in "town meeting it was voted unto Mstr. Ffenn that home lot lyine by Will Rascoe's home lot, which Thomas Betts hath resigned up."
Nathaniel Ely, of England, came to Norwalk from Hart- ford where he was a constable in 1639. He came here in 1650 and was one of fourteen persons who agreed with Roger Ludlow for the "settlement and plantinge" of the town, the agreement being dated June 19, 1650. He had an estate here when he left for Springfield, Mass., in 1660 of 293 pounds, no mean sum in those days.
Thomas Fitch came from Bocking or Buching, Essex county, England, where there was a large family of Fitches or Fittz. He was from time to time a freeman, selectman,
41
FIRST SETTLERS
and town clerk or recorder of lands and assemblyman in Norwalk. His estate was assessed at 314 pounds.
John Gregory or Griggorie of London was one of the original inhabitants. He represented Norwalk nine times in the legislature at its May sessions and eight times at its October sessions.
Nathaniel Haise was a man of good estate and in 1687 paid tax on 215 pounds.
Walter Hoyt or Hait was descended from a family of that name in "Illminster or Curry-Rivel, county of Somerset, England." He came here from Fairfield in 1652 or 1653 and was deputy from Norwalk to the General Assembly twelve times, and held various offices in this town. In 1690 he possessed an estate of 240 pounds. He died here at the age of 77.
Samuel Hales of England came here from Hartford and represented the town in the General Assembly three times.
Richard Holmes or Homes came to America from Lon- don in the ship "Hopewell" and settled in Norwalk in 1657. In 1678 the town granted him liberty to erect a saw mill upon Five Mile river.
Among historians there seems to be some doubt as to Rev. Thomas Hanford's ancestors and the particulars of his life. The late Asa B. Woodward of Norwalk, however, whose wife, Sarah Hanford, was sixth in line from the Rev. Thomas Hanford, seems to have traced his genealogy with accuracy. Mr. Woodward was of the opinion that the Rev. Hanford was Sir Thomas Hanford when he came to this country, the son of Elgin Hanford of Woollas Hall, Bradon Hill, Eversham, near Chester, England. On graduating from Oxford he came first to Scituate, Mass., where owing to religious controversies, he was not satisfied and came into Connecticut. On October 22, 1661, he married Mary Miles Ince, widow of Jonathan Ince, and daughter of Richard Miles of New Haven. Some histories maintain that the Rev. Hanford was married twice but the information cannot be verified.
42
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Daniel Kellogg was one of the first inhabitants of this town. He was chosen townsman several times and repre- sented Norwalk eight years in the General Assembly. In 1673 he had an estate of 125 pounds.
Thomas Lupton of England was assigned a home lot with the first emigrants of Norwalk but did not arrive until a year later. In 1668 he was selected to "look after the young people in the meeting house." In 1687 his estate was listed at 150 pounds.
FRENCH REFUGEES HERE
The majority of the first settlers here, embarked from England, but not all of them were of Anglo Saxon blood. It will be noted that some of them are termed "French refugees." These refugees fled to England from France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. This edict, originally issued by Henry Fourth of France, gave tolerance to the Protestants, the Hugenots. Its revocation by Louis Fourteenth resulted in the persecution of thousands of Prot- estants. The refugees included the best people of France and they were heartily welcomed by England who straight- way encouraged them to emigrate to her colonies in America. Thus it happened that Norwalk was blessed with a combin- ation of French and English ancestry.
The following are the rest of our "first settlers :"
Ephraim Lockwood, had five sons. His estate in 1687 was listed at 120 pounds. He came from England.
Ralph Keeler or Keeiler and his brother Walter came from the port of London, England, to the colonies in 1635 or 1636. Ralph was in Hartford in 1639 and a viewer of chimneys in 1645 there. In September, 1665, in Norwalk, Thomas Hand sold him his dwelling house. He was one of the contractors to build Rev. Hanford's house. He was to "fell all the timber and hewe what is to be hewe." His estate in 1673 was listed at 53 pounds. No mention is made of Walter although his name occurs in the list of the first emigrants to Norwalk.
43
FIRST SETTLERS
Mathew Marvin, Marvyn, or Marvynn, came to this country from Gravesend, England. He was in Hartford in 1639 and while there, was plaintiff in a case against Ma- thew Beckwith for defamation of character, recovering dam- ages of 50 pounds. He came to Norwalk with his family in 165I and his homelot adjoined the meeting house yard. He was a deputy and also an assistant magistrate at various times.
Isaac More also came from Gravesend aboard the good ship "Increase," the same upon which Mathew Marvin and family embarked. In fact, Isaac, who was only 13 years old, was under the care of Mathew Marvin and went with him to Hartford, and later to Norwalk. In 1657, More with three others, provided a "wolfe pit." In 1665, the court "frees More from training, he having been formerly chief officer of the Train Band" of that place, meaning Farming- ton, where More once lived. Here in Norwalk, he owned and resided on property on what is now known as Marshall street.
Widow Morgan's name is in the list of the first immi- grants, but nothing beyond that is known of her. Widow Morgan probably married after her settlement here, al- though whom, it is not known.
Jonathan Marsh. In 1657 he owned real estate here, situated and bounded by the river; and engaged to build a corn mill; and he was to have upland adjoining the mill. In 1658, Goodman Marsh "agreed to attend the town three days in the week. These days he is to attend that he may fetch and carry corn to the mill."
Richard and John Olmstedd. Richard was one of the petitioners for the planting of Norwalk. He was prominent in all the public affairs and was the first representative of the town in the General Assembly, having been fourteen times elected to that position. He was in Hartford in 1640 and removed to this plantation in 1650. In 1673 he had an estate of 119 pounds.
Joseph Platt was a French refugee, and did not settle in
44
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Norwalk until about 1699. Platt represented Norwalk in the General Assembly a period of 65 years, according to one historian. He has no list of property either in 1673 or in 1687. As he was called "The Worshipful" it may be that his property was not listed because he was exempt from taxation in view of his services to the town.
Nathaniel Richards was one of Mr. Hooker's company at Newtown, Cambridge, 1632 and was one of the proprie- tors of the Hartford company. He came to Norwalk from Hartford in 1651. In 1664 he bought Jonathan Marsh's mill and all the land adjoining it. He was a selectman of the town and in 1673 had an estate of 268 pounds.
John Rusco was one of the first immigrants here although only 13 or 14 years of age at the time. As his home lot was transferred to him, being one formerly set off for another, it was not recorded until 1683. His father, William Rusco, had an estate which increased during the years 1673 to 1687, from 150 to 250 pounds.
Richard Raymond was probably a French refugee. His name first appears in the records of Norwalk in 1654. He came here from Salem and later went to Saybrook. He seems to have been back in Norwalk again in 1677.
Matthias and Matthew Sension, or Senchion and Mark St. John or Sention, probably emigrated from Huntington, England. It seems that Matthias came to Norwalk a short time before Matthew. The name St. John was originally pronounced as "Sention" in England and is still so called by many people. The early records here use sometimes the name Sention and sometimes the name St. John for Mat- thew, Matthias and Mark.
Richard Web embarked from Gravesend, England, and came to Hartford, where he was a juryman and was fined at one time for not appearing at the proper hour for the sitting of the court. He was deputy from Norwalk fourteen times, 1653 to 1679.
Thomas Seamer or Seymour. Little is known of him ex- cept it is thought he was a French refugee. In 1690 he
45
FIRST SETTLERS
possessed an estate of 184 pounds. Richard Seamer or Seymour was one of the first settlers here. His name ap- pears under the list of accounts in 1654. The name Richard Seymour is still being carried on down through the genera- tions of the Seymour family. Mrs. Arthur Russell, 83 East ave., has a cousin whose son, born and brought up here, but now residing in Cleveland, is named Richard Seymour.
THREE CLASSES
Of varied character, ability and station in life, were the first residents in our fair city. They were made up of three classes, as were most of the English who emigrated to this country. In the first class were the non-conformists, those who would not bend to the will of the church of England. In the second were the "subsidy" men, those who collected the extraordinary or special tax levied by Parliament for the benefit of the Crown for some special dispensation, a war, new jail, hospitals or the like. Members of this group, usually known in the mother country as "the King's subsidy men" were extremely unpopular in England. The people were very heavily taxed as it was and these special taxes which occurred at more or less regular intervals provoked in them a smouldering wrath. It was no compliment in those days to be termed a "subsidy man" and it will be noted by looking back over the first Norwalkers, just named, that several of them announced upon their arrival in this country that they were "no subsidy" men. The third class included those who were distasteful to the ruling powers and who were sent out of England for rebellion or who came here under assumed names. Half of the Norwalkers were in the first class and the rest were in the second, with the ex- ception of Richard Webb who was carried on shipboard, "fetched off by Secretary Windbank's warrants."
There were not many eminent men among the first plant- ers here, and yet Hollister, the Connecticut historian, says that "more than four-fifths of the early landed proprietors
46
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
of Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor" (which towns har- bored most of the Norwalkers before they came here ) "be- longed to families which had arms granted to them in Great Britain." But, arms or no arms, they were filled with the right spirit : courage, fortitude, instinct of colonization. Our forefathers had brawn as well as brains and they needed both. Norwalk was a wilderness when they appeared on the scene, beautiful no doubt, but terrifying just the same. The trees were huge and closely grown; and dense under- brush, rotting logs, swamps and bogs, presented difficulties that only the most courageous could face and overcome. The first settlers were fortunate in one respect: there was a shelter here upon their arrival. Some historians maintain that it was a "long black house" built by the planters who had already spent several months here. Others say there were several rude log cabins here. At any rate there was an overhead covering of some sort which provided sufficient shelter until the colonists could provide better.
HOME LOTS GRANTED
Just when the original grants of home lots to the first settlers were made is not known. At first, lands were owned in common by the settlers, but later, divisions and allotments were made. The early land records are generally undated and are sandwiched in between other records of the years from 1670 to 1690. Over some of the land records, a hand other than the one which originally wrote the record, has inserted the date of 1652. Whether or not that was the correct date of the recording of the land we cannot prove.
The original idea of the home lot was to foster coopera- tion and coordination in the little colony. It was decided to allow each settler four acres and these plots were assigned, according to age, character, rank and property. Note the following rule :
"That in dividing of lands to the several persons in each town, regard is to be had partly to the number of persons
Jonathan Marsh Sold to Ephraim Lockwood 1664
*
Thos. WARD
SOLD to
Ralph Keeler
1665
Matthias Sention Sen. . Bought of MR Steele of Farmington 1661
will
Nath. Campfield
John
Thos Hales
SOLD TO
Platt
Richard Olmstead
Richard Olmstead
Nath Eli Then Thos Betts Who SOLD 1/2 To Christopher Comstock
PATH
-
-
Thos
Barnum
VIP FIELD
Rich'D SeameR Thos Seamer J. H. Fitch
Rich'D Webb
Walter
Thos.
- A
Y
Haite
John Bouton
Bene- DICT sen.
John Ruscoe
1
V 12
115
1=
11.2
Thos. Lupton
Rich D Homes
=
112
=
Mark Sention
Matthew Sention
Geo
Nath. Hayes
ACH
IF
Abbott
FORT
Ancient Common
Step'n Beckwith Solo to John GREGORY John
GREGORY and sons
Beacham'S LANE & HOU
Ancient Gate
Gate Lot
and the Neck
Planting
ALSO TO
Point and
Lane
Pine Hill
Mile Island
mford to Norwalk Path, which passed up what are now Fort Point and Fitch streets. above map shows how Norwalk's original home lots were laid out. Note the ancient NORWALK'S ORIGINAL HOMELOTS
: Towne Street, now East Avenue, ran through the center of the little village, commencing
at the old burial grounds where the East Norwalk Cemetery now stands.
بالنت
RIVER
1
MILFORD
of Benj. Fenn
Thos Betts JR. Bot
Joseph Fenn then
Dan'L Kellogg
Matthew Marvin SR
Matthew
Meeting House 1659 1
MARVIN .FR.
Ancient PaRaDe
-
Road FROM StamFORD To F
4
( NOW FORT POINT SIN
NORWALK
+
Rev. Thos HanFORD
Rev. Stephen Buckingham
Ralph Keeler John Raymond
MARK St John
Joseph Fitch
Mill Pond
BURY- ing GROUND
Bea- chams BRIDG
FORT Point Ancient InDiay
WAS
15
Here
LL
C
1
Gravel Beach
Y
IF
IF
IF
The Coast Point 01
TO CALF PASTURE i
CalE- PastuRe
TO GREGORYS
To the fields, Canfield and Half Mile I'slands
To the Ballast
~ ~ TIDe Mill (The Cove
FIELDS
~
Meet. ING House
Sam'l Hales Robert Stewart 1660
Meadow
I sacke Moore
SOLD
To MARK Sention 1660
*
Salt
Nath RicharDS
ED Church 1652 SOLD To Thos Fitch 1665
Thos.
BeneDICT
Ancient Country
Towne Street Now
ED Nash
cient
moi aino
Salt Meadow,
To Stony Hill and Saugatuck Playne
( Now Fitch Street )
East Avenue
STRAWBERRY
To Half
47
FIRST SETTLERS
in a family, to the more, assigning the greater allotment, to the fewer, the less, and partly by the number of beasts by which a man is fit to occupy the land assigned to him and subdue it; eminent respect, in this case, may be given to men of eminent quality and descent, in assigning unto them more large and honorable accommodations, in regard to their greater disbursements to public charges."
The four leading men in the community, Matthew Mar- vin Sen., Nathaniel Eli, or Ely, Thomas Fitch and Richard Olmstead, were accordingly placed nearest the meeting house. Richard Olmstead, whose name from time to time has been found spelled Omstead, Omsted, Olmsted and Olm- stedd, was one of the most influential men in the community. It was he who was named surveyor and who laid out the original home lots in East Norwalk. One of his descend- ants, Mrs. Arthur Russell, of 83 East Ave., still makes her home here in Norwalk. There are many other descendants scattered throughout the United States. An Olmstead As- sociation, which meets annually at an appointed place, has been formed and once a year members of the family gather from all four corners of the United States to renew acquain- tanceships. Mrs. Louise Coolidge, 15 Arch st., and Mrs. Walter Pierson, 85 East ave., are both members of the association. Mrs. Coolidge, Mrs. Pierson and Mrs. Le- Grand Betts, 83 East ave., are all descendants of the original Olmstead family which came to America and which con- sisted of several brothers.
In laying out the home lots, the Rev. Thomas Hanford was placed near the center of the tiny village out of respect for his office and for the sake of convenience, so he would be near the meeting house in the middle of the community. He was allowed a right of $300 in the "commonage." It should here be explained that the commonage, commanage, ancient common, common or common land, was really town property. The early maps of Norwalk show an "ancient common" at Fort Point. The common planting field was
48
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
near Gregory Point. For a time both Indians and whites shared its use.
Very early, the wise city fathers took steps to prevent any of ye good townspeople from giving a "long journey" as an excuse for not attending church. They so arranged the first Norwalk home lots, that everyone lived within reasonable distance of the meeting house. One other reason, in addi- tion to those of age, character, rank, property and church attendance, figured in the arrangement of Norwalk's first home lots, i. e., the convenience of "watch and ward." In order to guard against sudden attack by the Indians, houses must be placed near together so that the men might assemble speedily in case of emergency.
Concerning the placing of the homes near the church, there is an old New England law to the effect that : "Where- soever the lands of any man's inheritance shall fall, yet no man shall set his dwelling house above the distance of half a mile, or a mile at furthest, from the meeting of congrega- tion, where the church doth usually assemble for the worship of God."
So it was quite necessary that the home lots be of a cer- tain size, large enough, but not so large that by reason of their very length and breadth the villagers would be pushed outside that one mile radius and incidentally outside the law. Richard Olmstead was the surveyor.
TOWN ARRANGEMENT
The main road through the settlement was plotted out and named "Towne Street" and it included that part of East ave., which extends from the ancient burial ground, now known as the East Norwalk cemetery, up to the top of "Earl Hill," halfway up East ave. The road was about four rods wide, just a pack horse way. The south end of it was comparatively straight and level, although the upper part was exceedingly rough, rather as though the settlers, becom-
49
FIRST SETTLERS
ing weary with their task, did not take the same pains at the end, as they did at the beginning.
The plots were numbered up from the old cemetery or burial place, according to Selleck. "From this point (the cemetery) the 'land allotments' were numbered and from the same point, two 'ways' parted, the one to the Pasture and the Neck, and the other to the Ballast at the harbor end of the cove, west of the water-side home of John Gregory, Sr. The pasture and the planting soil were reached from the southeastern end of the burial slope," (see map) "through a gate which was erected not far below the small bridge, now standing just under the burial ground hill. This was the settlement's private gate. The 'gate lot' was the same as stands today on the road to Gregory's Point (n. e. corner ) directly opposite Josiah Raymond's Place."
Beyond the "gate lot" a path led "To Fields, Canfield and Half Mile Islands;" a second, to Half Mile Island; and a third "To Spruce Swamp and Calf Pasture." The settlers kept all their young stock, the calves especially, out at Calf Pasture or else "scowed" them across to Calf Pasture Is- land. . Thus originated the name of our well known bathing beach and island. Through ye "ancient gate" the pastures and the planting fields were reached. Just above the gate was Beacham's bridge and close by, the lane and house of Beacham, who was one of the first gate keepers.
The road at the lower end of the town was labelled "To the Ballast." The ballast, it is thought, took its name from that spot on the coast where many stones were found sunken. Here the vessels in early times stopped to take on ballast. The Towne st., now East ave., was not the oldest highway in Norwalk. The first was the route from Stamford to Fair- field, which cut right across the little settlement. This was alternately called the "Stamford Path," "Fairfield Path," or "Stamford and Fairfield Path." It came over Flaxhill road, up Fort Point st., crossed Towne street, turned up what is now Fitch st., thence to Strawberry hill, from which place it took an easterly direction. This ancient trail, in
50
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
existence when the settlers arrived here, both Stamford and Fairfield having been founded before Norwalk, was marked by heaps of stones and barked trees. One other path was already well worn when the Norwalkers arrived. That was "Ponasses path" leading to what is now New Canaan and called by us, Ponus avenue.
The little settlement's first meeting house was placed on a choice corner lot, Towne St. and Stamford Path, or speaking in modern language, East Ave. and Fort Point St. Nearby, ground for drilling was marked off. Across the street, on the opposite corner of East ave. and Fort Point street, the Rev. Hanford was placed. His position demanded, of course, that he be put as close as possible to the church. All the rich and prominent men in the community were placed close to the meeting house as a notation of honor. They were not called upon to walk so far to church as were those people less fortunately stationed in life. All church services were held in the meeting house, or rather, all meet- ings were held in the church. The same condition prevailed for the first half century in Norwalk. There was no town clerk's office. A room in the home of Thomas Fitch served that purpose.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.