USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Norwalk > The romance of Norwalk > Part 34
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40
433
MODERN NORWALK
Mr. Bedford's interest in, and generosity in behalf of, the Norwalk hospital.
In the fall of 1921, Mr. Bedford was named president of the Association. A nurses' home was now erected at a cost of $200,000, half of the sum being provided by Mr. Bedford and half by public subscription. As the years went by, the hospital, now trying to take care of 90 beds, became very much overcrowded. More room was needed. Mr. Bed- ford offered half a million dollars for a new addition and this addition was built, and completed in the spring of 1929, after nearly two years of construction, and at a cost nearer a million. At the present time, the Norwalk Hospital is capable of taking care of 200 patients at once. The years have greatly changed conditions at the institution. Gone are the days which many of our older physicians can recall, when doctors often had to provide their own instruments in the hospital, because there were not enough to go around. Today, the laboratories and equipment are of the finest.
The new Mary A. Bedford Home for Nurses, of brick, named after Mr. Bedford's wife, was completed in Febru- ary, 1926. The nurses' home and the hospital, share equally in an endowment of one third of a million dollars which the bottomless generosity of Mr. Bedford has provided through the Bedford Fund Inc. This nets an income of $10,000 yearly for the home and hospital respectively, the fund for the latter being given on condition that Norwalk contribute a like amount. Mr. Bedford has also endowed the mater- nity ward. Down through the years, the Woman's Board of the Norwalk Hospital and the Hospital Sewing Society have done much to push forward the progress of the insti- tution.
Edward T. Bedford is now (1929) president of the Nor- walk Hospital Association; John Cavanagh, vice president; Frank James, secretary; Harry M. Lane, treasurer; John H. Light, counsel; executive committee-Samuel Roodner, John Cavanagh and George L. Woodward; directors- Edward T. Bedford, James A. Farrell, Thomas H. Canty,
434
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Russell Frost, R. G. Hanford, Dr. J. G. Gregory, John Cavanagh, E. E. Gorham, Samuel Roodner, Mrs. Louis Lehmaier, George L. Woodward and John Milne. Rev. Charlton Bates Strayer is superintendent.
The Norwalk Y. M. C. A. at 370 West ave., was opened to the public September 9, 1928. A $400,000 drive which totaled $427,000 when all was said and done, made the building possible. Edward B. Gallaher donated a portion of the site. The "Y" now has a membership of 2, 130. The building, a handsome structure, provides reading and game rooms, bowling alleys, swimming pool and dormitories for the men while the women have quarters of their own, have the use of the swimming pool and also of the large auditor- ium and dining room and the kitchen. Ernest L. Saxton was named the first executive secretary. The Norwalk Dispen- sary, Pine st., was originated November 4, 1909 as an anti- tuberculosis association, with Mrs. John S. Seymour as first president. The association became a general dispensary, October 15, 1910, and was incorporated January 22, 1914 as the Norwalk Dispensary association, Inc. During the year 1929, 3,633 general cases were treated by the Dis- pensary, 174 baby cases through the Well Baby Clinic, 688 dental cases and 1,042 outside visits were made. Norwalk doctors and dentists volunteer their services.
A worthwhile philanthropy in the city of Norwalk is the Ledgewood Farms Vacation Lodge for Girls on Ponus ave., a private rest and welfare institution owned by Charles H. Harris and used for the recuperation, during the summer months of sick and undernourished girls. Most of them are sent up to Norwalk from the hospitals and welfare or- ganizations of New York city and they are of all races and religions. The lodge, commenced 12 years ago, has taken care of 2,200 girls during that time, giving each two weeks or more of rest and recreation in surroundings which could not help but invite better health and spirit. The lodge, set in a wooded section of the estate, can house 15 girls at a time. Nearby is a private swimming pool and an outdoor
435
MODERN NORWALK
dance platform. Fresh farm produce and a healthy rec- reation program go far towards building up sickly bodies and unhappy minds.
The Norwalk Day Nursery Association was incorporated March 4, 1909. The sunny nursery at 14 Webster st. was acquired to provide a suitable place where mothers work- ing outside the home, might leave their children in safety, during the day. Only a nominal charge is made. The Day Nursery was organized following the burning to death of the small child of Mrs. Kate Bartek of Springwood, who was forced to leave the baby home alone when she went out to work. At the present time between 15 and 20 children are cared for there every day. The Fairfield County Children's Home, Westport ave., is a brick building which includes hos- pital and school in addition to living quarters. The county now cares for nearly 400 children, about one quarter of whom are in the home, the rest being boarded out in private homes. The Naramake Home, city poor farm, Strawberry Hill ave., has already been discussed. The King's Daughters Home for the Aged, Westport ave., a fine, large home on a beautiful hilly estate, was built in the spring of 1914 for aged poor of good birth who were no longer able to keep their own homes. The home was erected under the direc- tion of a large building committee headed by Mrs. Leo Davis.
SILVERMINE ART COLONY
Much has been said of Norwalk's industries, institutions, clubs, schools, churches, and the like, but little of Norwalk's art. This community has the right to claim some of the finest artists, writers, actors and musicians in the country. Silvermine, the most famous artists' rural colony in America, is part of Norwalk. It surpasses Old Lyme and even Woodstock in its collection of painters, sculptors and illus- trators, the story of the colony being given by some of the "old timers." Silvermine was "discovered" back in 1895 by the great sculptor, Solon Borglum, brother of Gutzon
436
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Borglum, Stamford carver of the Confederate monument on Stone Mountain. He found here a little white church, a little red schoolhouse, and lots of Butterys. The next year Mr. Borglum acquired a small home on a hill over- looking the Silvermine river from the east. He brought his bride here and made his home in Silvermine until he died. The great works of sculpture of Solon Borglum, who might well be termed the patriarch of the Silvermine art colony, may now be found in all corners of the earth.
Mr. Borglum took word of his new home site down to New York where he interested Addison Miller, noted painter. Mr. Miller shortly went to Silvermine and he remained in this community until his tragic death in 1913. He died in a train wreck. But Mr. Miller, taking up the sceptre of Silvermine had previously passed the good word along to Howard Hildebrant, a promising art student of the '90's. Mr. Hildebrant arrived here in 1900 and has lived here ever since turning out paintings which have brought fame both to himself and to Silvermine. D. Put- nam Brinley was another of the early settlers who was at- tracted to Silvermine by the descriptions given by his col- leagues and who has lived in Norwalk ever since.
One of the most interesting of all Silvermine families was the Gruelle family. R. B. Gruelle, who was a noted land- scape artist, was in the early group which established Silver- mine. His two sons are carrying on the artistic reputation of the family. Justin, artist, now lives on Yew st. Johnny Gruelle, the other son, now living in Shorefront Park, is one of the best known American cartoonists and his famous "Yapps Crossing" and "Yahoo Center" have delighted thousands, while his creation of the "Raggedy Ann" story revolutionized nursery books.
Merry years had the early artists. Every Sunday morn- ing, there gathered in Solon Borglum's barn, the Knockers' Club, which included in its membership, besides Mr. Bor- glum and his Silvermine cronies, Edmund Ashe for many years of Westport and Frank Thompson still of Wilton.
437
MODERN NORWALK
As the years went by, Carl Schmitt and Frank T. Hutchens and others were welcomed to the circle. More and more came and shortly the circle was found to be too large. The "old order changeth" and the Silvermine Guild of Artists was organized in 1921. Yet the best known names in Silver- mine still remain Brinley, Hildebrandt, Schmitt and Hut- chens. In the old days when everyone in the colony knew everyone else, there were many parties, and to them the household of every artist was invited. There were for instance, the famous suppers cooked over a grill in Johnny Gruelle's yard: and the famous "One-Till-One" parties held on the estate of Harry B. Thayer, which began early in the afternoon with a program of sports. And who in the old line will forget Mrs. George Picknell's priceless barn dances ?
Hamilton Hamilton, National Academician, and an inter- nationally known English artist, came here in 1912. His works are known the world over. When he died two years ago, he was revered as the dean of the colony. About this time arrived such excellent artists as George Picknell, Frank Townsend Hutchens, Mrs. Ada Guthrie, Henry Salem Hub- bell, and the late E. Murray Mckay. The first three are still outstanding members of the group. Then there was Leo Dorn, Carl Reiffele, John Cassell, and Clifton Meek, attracted there by Johnny Gruelle and Bernhardt Gutmann. Before the "modern school of artists" became known in Silvermine there arrived several painters whose brushes have brought forth canvases of sufficient note to center the eyes of America's art lovers on little Silvermine. Headed by the valuable David Robinson, the list includes Fred D. Yohn, Worth Brehm, George Avison, Adele Klaer, Harry Townsend and Dorothy Odell. The "modern school" so termed, has a firm foundation in our Norwalk art colony. Some of its most distinguished members are William Rein- ecke, Samuel Otis, Helen Hamilton, Doris Rosenthal, Doro- thy Byard, Mr. and Mrs. Jay H. Barnum, and Lowell Bal- com.
438
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
The cultural field of Silvermine is not limited to the paint- brush. Music, the stage and the pen are properly repre- sented. Burk Symon, general manager for David Belasco and a noted figure in the theatre has lately come to Silver- mine to make his home. Mrs. Symon is a gifted pianist. Adele Klaer is a famous actress as well as a painter. Mer- cita Esmond, one of the best loved women in Silvermine, until the day of her death in November, 1929, was known as a brilliant performer on the stage. George Alison, dean of the theatrical profession in Silvermine, has appeared on the stage for more than 25 years and has played with Ethel Barrymore in "The Kingdom of God." His wife, Ger- trude Alison, who was a trouper for many years, is of great assistance in the staging of the Silvermine Guild plays. Robert J. Flaherty, film producer of Arctic and South Sea Island life, makes his home in Silvermine when he is in the east. Marion Benda, famous Follies beauty, was brought up on Belden hill overlooking Silvermine. John Erskine, prolific writer with a subtle humor, the gift of but few, is an active member of the Silvermine Guild. Frederick Shafer, publicity director of the United Artists Pictures, lives at 59 Silvermine ave. Murial Tyndall, former member of the Metropolitan Opera company lives in Silvermine, as does Maybelle Day Holcolm, pianist; Marcia Abbe, Broadway actress; Robert Schmitt, flutist, and Henry Allan Price, singer and entertainer.
Richardson Wright, editor of "House and Garden" is one of the foremost residents of the colony; Crawford Young, cartoonist, has his home here; Alice Kauser, best known woman play broker has long lived here. Others who have brought honor to themselves and to the Silver- mine colony are: Frank Harper Bissell, and Alfred Mau- solff, architects, and John Fearhake and John Byard, lawyers. Then there is Frank Reuss Kelley, potter, who came here about five years ago; Edward Cushing, musical critic for the Brooklyn Eagle, and his wife, Mary Watkins, assistant musical critic, New York Herald Tribune; Ruth Hawthorne, playwright and short story writer; Gorden Brin-
439
MODERN NORWALK
ley, wife of D. Putnam Brinley, interpreter of Chaucer; and Pauline Elliott Thorne, former stage actress. Other local artists are Hy Mayer, George Muendel, Frank Schwartz, the Daggys, George Berg, landscape painter.
THEATER, MUSIC
One of the pioneer Broadway stars to come to Norwalk for a home site and the one generally known as the founder of the theatrical colony here was George Clark, cousin of the late James Cole who was the father of the present James Cole, former manager of the Rialto theatre. Clark, leading man of Augustin Daly's company of the "elegant eighties" played with the famous Ada Rehan. He came to Norwalk in 1890 and established his home on Prospect ave. Sometime afterwards, Mr. Clark bought the amphi- theater property, so called because of its natural shape, in the vicinity of what are now the Forest street and Louns- bury ave. sections of the city. He developed the property to some extent and called it Norwalk Park.
If Clark was the pioneer actor here, Lizzie Griffiths was the pioneer actress. Few Norwalk people know that Mrs. E. A. Bennett, 80 years old, 205 Main st., who came to this city about 1900, is Lizzie Griffiths, famous actress of 1870 and two ensuing decades. Mrs. Bennett's career com- menced when she was three years of age and played the part of Harry in "Uncle Tom's Cabin" with members of the original company of the play. Following this dramatic entrance to stage life, the girl went to school, remaining there until the age of 17. She then returned to the stage with her parents in the Selwyn Theatre company, which opened the new Selwyn theatre in Boston, October 28, 1867. The actress was the ingenue of the company which included the great Stuart Robson, Frederick Robinson and Caroline Carson. Three years later she joined Augustin Daly's com- pany and played with the Drews and with Maurice Barry- more, father of Ethel Barrymore. Years later, she re- tired from the stage, married Ezra Bennett of Georgetown and came to Norwalk to live.
440
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Since the days when George Clark and Lizzie Griffiths arrived in Norwalk, other stage stars have some to town. Then, there have been many native Norwalkers who have become stage stars. There was Thomas Cole, brother of James Cole, of 28 Haviland st. Thomas gained success as the juvenile in his cousin George Clark's "When We Were 21" Company. Later the Norwalker became well known as Barry Scanlon, the minstrel. In the years that followed he was appointed circuit manager for Sullivan and Considine. He later returned to his first profession, law. Then there was Millie James who went on the stage and became James Corbett's leading woman in "Gentleman Jim." Later, she played the role in Norwalk in Hoyt's theatre, Washing- ton st., of which the manager was I. Mortimer Hoyt, one of the best known theatre managers in the east, a generation ago. Her brother, Leavitt James, was a well known opera singer.
Bob Adams, brother of Lorenzo Adams, retired police- man of 2 Connecticut ave., was the first manager of John L. Sullivan, prizefighter and actor. Adams entered the show business by exhibiting Sullivan's "diamond belt of victory" a jewel studded belt worn by the fighter, in "Brook- lyn Jim" Carroll's place, 42nd st., New York, for ten cents a look. When in Norwalk, Adams ran the old Norwalk hotel. Fred Lauder, now living on Scribner ave., played with much success in "Miles Auroon," with the Chauncey Olcott company. Lauder was once proprietor of a cigar store on the corner of Washington and South Main sts. George A. Wright, retired actor who now resides on Craw ave., in Rowayton, came to this city 27 years ago. His children, who have grown up true to the theatre are : George A. Wright, Jr., stage manager and director for John Golden; Edith Wright, remembered for her art in "May- time," and Olive Wright, now wed to Arthur DiSalvo, Keith vaudeville headliner.
It was George Wright Sr., who brought Charles Klein, playwright, to Norwalk. Mr. Klein established a home on
441
MODERN NORWALK
North st., Rowayton in 1905. He was later commodore of the Rowayton yacht club now non existent, which once stood at the foot of his street. Wright and Klein had been friends for many years, in fact the former appeared at one time in "The Step Sister" one of Klein's early plays. In 1913 Arch Selwyn, producer, leased the Klein home. Selwyn has been a summer resident of Norwalk ever since, living at Bell Island. Klein lost his life when the torpedoed "Lusitania" sank shortly after the outbreak of the World War. One of Klein's greatest successes was "The Lion and the Mouse" in which Edmund Breese was starred. Breese came to Norwalk to visit the playwright while the play was running on Broadway and liked the community so much that he bought a home, in the Chestnut Hill section. In 1927 he moved to Los Angeles to devote his time and talent to the motion pictures.
Fiske O'Hara, one of America's favorite Irish singers and actors, came to West Norwalk in 1912. Through him, Anne Sutherland and Anne Nichols, author of "Abie's Irish Rose" bought property in West Norwalk. On West Rocks Road, for many years, lived Porter Emerson Browne, au- thor of "A Fool There Was," and "The Bad Man," and others. The late Harrison Hunter, famous for his work in "The Bat," came to Norwalk many years ago and was one of the first actors to commute between this city and New York. Of late years, many other stars have come to this community, including the Nugents of Harbor View: J. C. Nugent, Elliott, and Norma Lee Nugent and Ruth and Alan Bunce, successful on the stage and in the movies.
Greek Evans, baritone star of musical comedy and oper- etta and the original Franz Schubert of "Blossom Time" has an estate in the' Winnipauk section of Norwalk. His neighbors include: Helen Lowell, stage star famous from the time of "Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch" until the time of "The Show Off" in which she made the mother role famous; Charles Goodrich, who played the father in "The Show Off" and his gifted actress wife, Camilla Crume; Roy Gordon, accomplished in drama and in musical comedy.
442
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Ira Hards, stage director; Zelda Sears Wiswell, play- wright and actress; Harry Archer, musical comedy com- poser; Sanford E. Stanton, producer and writer; Jack Charash, theatrical writer; Felix Krembs, actor; Henry West, actor, and his wife, Amelia Gardner, actress; Fred- erick Burton, actor; Ruth Putnam Mason, actress and play- wright; J. R. Bray, film producer and Agnes Elliot Scott, are other members of the theatrical colony of Norwalk.
Eminent figures in the world of music have come to Nor- walk to make their homes. In past years there was Anna Carey Raymond, opera soprano. One of the most dis- tinguished singers today is Henriette Wakefield, American contralto, a leading member of the Metropolitan Opera Company who has lived in Norwalk for years. She is the wife of Greek Evans. There are many others: Rudolph Thomas of Silvermine, now conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony orchestra ; Edward Kreiner, noted violinist; Alma Simpson, concert singer known for her folk songs of many countries ; Robert Hood Bowers, composer; Victor Biart, pianist; Edward J. Sims, organist, and Orville Harrold, tenor for many years a resident of West Norwalk.
1
LITERARY COLONY
Not alone in the fields of art, music and the theatre, do Norwalk men and women figure with honor. In the field of literature, local people have made their mark. Mention has already been made of Johnny Gruelle, John Erskine, Richardson Wright and Ruth Hawthorne. One of the best known writers of children's books is Emma Patten Beard, . 26 Arch st., author of "Jolly Book of Boxcraft," "Jolly Book of Playcraft," "Jolly Book of Funcraft," "Childlife" and many other books. The late Blanche Elizabeth Wade, 93 East ave., well known children's writer and author of "The Garden in Pink," "The Stained Glass Lady" and many others, was one of the first women to broadcast tales for boys and girls over the radio. Miss Wade died in 1928.
443
MODERN NORWALK
George Philip Krapp, now of New York but who lived on East ave., has written a number of books including several on the English language and on English grammar. He is at present professor of English in Columbia Uni- versity. Another Columbia professor of English who has gained fame in the literary world is William P. Trent, County st. Mr. Trent, who has since retired from active work in the university, is the author of some 15 books, one of the last being "Great American Writers," (with John Erskine). For the past 20 years, Trent has been engaged on an exhaustive biography and bibliography of Defoe, in ten volumes. Fred Leroy Piper, pastor of the Advent Christian church, this city, and president of the New Eng- land School of Theology, Boston, is the author of several books, two of which are "Second Advent in Poetry and Song," and "Return of Christ." Augustus Field Beard, clergyman, retired, 79 East ave., corresponding secretary of the American Missionary Association since 1886, has been editor of the American Missionary Magazine since 1905. He has also written several books among them: "Story of John Frederick Oberlin," and "Crusade of Broth- erhood." He is the father of Patten Beard.
Then there is Alyse Gregory, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. G. Gregory, 725 West ave., author of "She Shall Have Music" who has just brought out another book; George Scotson-Clark of Silvermine, who died last year and who was known for his books on cooking: "Eating Without Fears," "Half Hours in the Kitchenette"; William Almon Wolff, Perry ave., author of "Behind the Screen," "Path of Gold" and "The Show Off" (with George Kelly) ; Frederick Buckley Newtown ave., writer of western stories: "Sage Hen," "Gold Mounted Guns" and "Way of Sinners"; Har- riet Tyng, poetess; Robert Alexander Wason, until recently of Norwalk, author of many stories and sketches including : "The Steering Wheel" and "Knight Errant"; and Harvey S. Root, 19 Morgan ave., author of "Boy's Life of P. T. Barnum," "The Unknown Barnum," and "Way of the
444
ROMANCE OF NORWALK
Circus." Albert Lee, Winfield st., newspaper man, editor and publisher, and manager of the foreign editions of Vogue since 1919, has written numerous works, among them: "He, She and They," "Pie And The Pirate," (books) : "A Dutch Daisy." " (play). Elwin R. Sanborn, 32 Van Buren ave., who is the official photographer for the New York Zoologi- cal Park is editor of the "Bulletin" and other publications of the New York Zoological Society.
Mary Emma Wooley, born in South Norwalk and now president of Mt. Holyoke College, has written numerous works including: "Early History of the Colonial Post Office," and "Development of the Love of Romantic Scen- ery in America." Then there is Elsie Williams Chandler, poetess.
EMINENT MEN
In many other walks of life have Norwalkers done justice to themselves and to the community. In years gone by, great men have stepped forth from the highways and by- ways of Norwalk. Of Thomas Fitch, patriot, and Thomas Fitch, Governor, of Dr. Jonathan Knight, Yale professor, of Governor Bissell, of Congressman Ebenezer Hill and others, mention has already been made. Included in the list should be Rev. Abraham Jarvis, second bishop of the Episcopal church in Connecticut; Prof. Moses Stuart, leader in Oriental literature study in this country; Rear Admiral Francis Gregory of the United States Navy; Nathaniel Bouton, father of the National American Home Missionary Society; Hon. Charles H. Sherman, judge of the Supreme Court of Ohio; the Norwalk born parents of the Hon. John Sherman and the General William Tecumseh Sherman.
Eminent men of high standing in the business, diplomatic and professional worlds make their homes in Norwalk : John Cavanagh, Old Saugatuck road, president of Cavanagh- Dobbs, Inc., which organization is owner of The Crofut and Knapp Co., Hodshon-Berg Inc., the Streb Co., John Cav- anagh Ltd., the Crown Quality Co. of Milford and Dobbs
4
5
F
8
C
1
12
=
TON
TOWN
C
1
D
0
I
₫
E
FIFTH
$
F
3
IF
M
-
IG
G
1
7
WOL
1
F
T
₦
M
H
0
1
T
K
T
... . ..
-
H
R
M
N
O
F
O
D
PAR.
O
C
R
FIFTH
R
S
S
T
Bir Prir and Ler do's. NEW MAP OF
D
NORWALK
U
CONN.
3 0
CORRECTLO BY THE SAMUEL W. HOYT, JR., Co., Inc.
.LONG
Copyright 1926 by The Price and Lee Co, New Haven, Conn
2
4
5
6
9
10
MODERN NORWALK
Map of the city in 1929. From the tiny settlement in 1651 in the heart of East Norwalk, the "plantation" has spread until it now covers more than 24 square miles.
0
B
--
D
NVVNVO
E
M 3 M
$ 0
O
-
N MO
TOWN
ARIE
N
FOURTH DISTRICT COMPRISES 1ST, 2ND. 3RD.
IBLAND
445
MODERN NORWALK
and Co .; Judge John H. Light, noted attorney and scholar, whose story in brief has already been told; Warren Wil- liam Foster, 13 Arch st., judge of the Court of General Sessions in New York for 15 years; Judge Edwin S. Thomas of Highwood ave., U. S. District Judge, District of Con- necticut; L. Walter Lissberger, Newtown Ave., capitalist and owner of the Liberty Laboratory of Chemical Research ; General Russell Frost, 41 High st., lawyer, former mem- ber of the General Assembly and general in the Connecticut National Guard; Hon. Homer Byington, 725 West ave., son-in-law of Dr. and Mrs. J. G. Gregory, American Consul General in Italy from 1923 to 1929 and recently promoted to a position in the State Department at Washington with Secretary of State Henry L. Stimson; and James Augustine Farrell, Highland ave., director of the American Bridge Co., the Federal Steel Co., the Tenn. Coal, Iron and R. R. Co., and the Minnesota Steel Co., chairman of the National Foreign Trade Council, and president of the United States Steel Corporation. With this imposing list of nationally known local people, comes to a close the "Romance of Norwalk."
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.