The statistics and gazetteer of New-Hampshire. Containing descriptions of all the counties, towns and villages statistical tables with a list of state officers, etc., Part 11

Author: Fogg, Alonzo J., comp
Publication date: 1874
Publisher: Concord, N.H., D. L. Guernsey
Number of Pages: 728


USA > New Hampshire > The statistics and gazetteer of New-Hampshire. Containing descriptions of all the counties, towns and villages statistical tables with a list of state officers, etc. > Part 11


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76


¢


88


NEW HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.


First Minister. Rev. David Smith, Congregationalist, settled here as pastor, in 1819.


Boundaries. North-east by Moultonborough, south east by Meredith, south-west by New Hampton, and north-west by Hol- derness and Squam lake. Area, 7,550 acres; improved land, 4,422 acres.


Distances. One hundred and twelve miles north-west from Bos- ton, forty miles north from Con- cord and thirteen from Gilford,


Railroads. Two miles from center, and four from Meredith village on Boston, Concord and Montreal railroad.


CHARLESTOWN.


SULLIVAN COUNTY. Charles- town has a river line on the Con- necticut of thirteen miles, and is considered one of the best farming towns in the state, there being but two towns which grow as many bushels of corn, oats and barley. The soil of the upland is good, and many of the farms are under a high state of cultivation. West of the road leading to Walpole, there are not less than fifteen hun- dred acres of fine interval land, of a deep, rich and loamy soil, suitably adapted to the growth of nearly all kinds of grass and grain.


Islands. In Connecticut river are three islands which are within the limits of this town. Sartwell's island (the largest,) containing ten acres, is under a high cultivation. The others contain about six acres each.


Rivers. The town is watered by Connecticut and Little Sugar riv- ers. The latter waters the north part of Charlestown, and unites


with the Connecticut about two miles from the north line, between this town and Claremont.


Villages. There are two villages in this town. The north village is called North Charlestown, and contains a church, school-house, store, post-office, steam-mill, sev- eral small mechanical shops and many fine residences.


Charlestown village is pleasant- ly situated on a plain, about half a mile from Connecticut river, and is one of the most delightful vil- lages in the State. The main street is quite broad, and beautifully shaded with rows of stately elms on each side, for nearly a mile. Many of the dwellings are elegant and of modern architecture, while others have more of an antique appearance; but all have an exte- rior impress which shows that wealth, luxury and prosperity dwell within. There are several stores in the village, three hotels, three church edifices, two large shoe manufactories with various other shops, offices, &c. A fine Town House was built in the sea- son of 1872, at an expense of nearly $ 20,000. The Connecticut River National, and Connecticut River Savings Banks are located in this village.


Employments. The employments of the inhabitants, at present, are nearly equally divided between agriculture, manufacturing and trade; 4000 pounds of tobacco are annually produced, also 2,566 lbs. hops. One large shoe manufactory annually manufactures 32,844 pairs of heavy boots and shoes, 6,450 pairs of brogans, 42,422 pairs of la- dies' fine, sewed shoes, and 6,000 pairs ladies' slippers; the whole valued at $229,878. One other shoe


89


CHARLESTOWN.


firm annually manufacture boots and shoes to the value of $66,600. There is annually sawed, 1,280,000 feet lumber. One cab manufac- tory (recently burned,) annually manufactured children's cabs to the value of $18,000; 9,500 bushels of grain is ground, and, besides, there are various other small manufactories. The total value of goods annually manufactured, of all kinds, is estimated at $ 357, 375. (See tables.)


Resources. Productions of the soil, $152,188; mechanical labor, $143,600; stocks and money at in- terest, $195,157; deposits in sav- ings banks, $121,604 ; stock in trade, $86,675; from summer tourists, $10,000. Many tourists spend their summer vacation in this pleasant town, and it is quite a source of revenue to the inhabitants. Pro- fessional business, $20,000.


Churches and Schools. Episcopal, Rev. Francis Chase, Rector; num- ber of communicants, 45; church valuation, $6,000. Unitarian, Rev. Eugene DeNormandie, pastor; number of members, 65; church value, $6,500. Congregationalist, Rev. H. H. Saunderson, pastor; number of members, 24; church value, $4,500. Methodist, Rev. A. L. Kendall, pastor; number of members, 70; church value, $2,500.


There are fifteen schools in town, four of which are graded. Aver- age length of schools for the year, seventeen weeks. Total amount of money annually appropriated for school purposes, $2,436.


Banks. Connecticut River Na- tional Bank, and Connecticut Riv- er Savings Bank.


Libraries. Charlestown Social Library, 1500 volumes. George Olcott, Esq., private library, 1200.


Hotels. Eagle Hotel, Cheshire Bridge House, and Connecticut River House.


First Settlers. Charlestown was granted by Massachusetts to six- ty-three persons under the name of " Number Four," December 31, 1735. Several families by the names of Parker, Farnsworth and Sartwell, from Groton, Hastings from Luningburg, Massachusetts, and Stevens from Rutland were the first settlers. The first child born in Charlestown was Eliza- beth, the daughter of Isaac Par- ker. She was born in1744, and died in 1806. For many years af- ter the first settlement the inhabi- tants suffered severely by Indian incursions. In the spring of 1746, John Spafford, Isaac Parker and Stephen Farnsworth were taken prisoners and carried to Canada. In May following Seth Putnam was surprised and killed; a few days after, Captain Paine, with a party of men, was attacked, when Captain Phineas Stevens came to his assistance and a sharp skir- mish ensued. Five men were kill- ed on each side and one white man taken prisoner. A short time af- ter the Indians made another as- sault on Captains Stevens and Brown, when they were defeated, losing several men, and leaving their hatchets, spears, guns and blankets on the ground. Captain Stevens lost but one man. In Au- gust a man by the name of Phillips was killed and several houses and barns were burned. In Novem- ber, 1746, owing to the continuous attacks of the Indians, the town was deserted, excepting six men who were left in charge of the fort. We append a few lines of the most important events with the In-


90


NEW-HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.


dians, and sketches of some of the men who participated in them.


Captain Phineas Stevens was one of the first settlers. The town, in its infancy, was protected by his in- trepidity. He was a native of Sud- bury, Mass., from whence his fa- ther removed to Rutland. At the age of sixteen, while his father was making hay, he, with three little brothers,followed him to the mead- ows. They were ambushed by the Indians, who killed two of his brothers, took him prisoner, and were preparing to kill his youngest brother, a child four years old. He, by signs to the Indians, made them understand if they would spare him he would carry him on his back-and he carried him to Canada. They were redeemed and both returned. He received several commissions from Gov- ernor Shirley, and rendered im- portant services in protecting the frontiers. In 1747, when Charles- town was abandoned by the inhab- itants he was ordered to occupy the fort with thirty men. On the 4th of April, he was attacked by 400 French and Indians, under Mons. Debeline. The assault last- ed three days. Indian stratagem and French skill, with fire applied to everything combustible about the fort, had not the desired effect. The heroic band were not appalled. They refused to capitulate. At length, an interview between the commanders took place. The Frenchman showed his forces, and described the horrible massacre that must ensue unless the fort sur- rendered. "My men are not afraid to die," was the answer made by Capt. Stevens. The attack con- tined with increased fury until the end of the third day, when the en-


cmy returned to Canada and left Capt. Stevens in possession of the fort. Capt. Stevens, for his gal- lantry on this occasion, was pre- sented by Sir Charles Knowles with an elegant sword; and from this circumstance, the township, when it was incorporated in 1753, took the name of Charlestown.


In 1754 the French war began, and the inhabitants were once more obliged to resort to the fort for safety. From infancy the settlers had been trained to scenes of hard- ship and danger unknown to their descendants. When they attended public worship, or cultivated their lands, they proceeded forth from the fort armed for battle, and wor- shipped or toiled under the protec- tion of a sentinel. In their de- predatory excursions, the Indians preferred prisoners to scalps, and generally killed but few excepting those who were likely to escape, or appeared too formidable to be en- countered with success. On the 29th of August, 1754, the Indians, early in the morning, attacked the house of James Johnson, who, with his wife, her sister, three children and two men, Peter Lar- abce and Ebenezer Farnsworth, were taken prisoners. On the sec- ond day of the journey, about fif- teen miles from Charlestown, in the wilderness, Mrs. Johnson was delivered of a child, who, from the peculiar circumstances attending its birth, was named Captive. The Indians halted one day on account of the woman, and on the next day took up their march, carrying her on a litter made for that purpose. During the march, be- ing distressed for the want of pro- visions, they killed the only horse they had, and the infant was nour-


91


CHATHAM.


ished by sucking pieces of its flesh. When they arrived at Montreal, Johnson obtained a parole to re- turn and solicit funds for the re- demption of his family and him- self. He applied to the assembly of New-Hampshire, and at length secured £150 sterling ; but the sea- son was so far advanced that he did not return to Canada until spring opened. He was then charged with having broken his parole, a great part of his money taken from him by violence; and he was shut up with his family in a prison, where they took the small- pox; but fortunately they all sur- vived. After eighteen months, Mrs. Johnson, with her sister and two daughters, were sent in a cartel ship to England, and thence re- turned to Boston.


Johnson was still retained in prison for three years, and then, with his son, returned and found his wife in Boston. His eldest daughter was retained in a nunne- ry in Canada. The daughter born on the journey, as related, after- wards married Colonel George Kimball. In 1756, Lieutenant Mo- ses Willard, the father of Mrs. Johnson, was killed. He was at work in sight of the fort with his son Moses. The Indians, having dispatched his father, pursued the son, and wounded him with a spear. He however made his escape, drag- ging the spear with him to the fort. In 1757 the Indians again burned the mills which had been rebuilt, and took Sampson Colfax, David Farnsworth and Thomas Adams prisoners. In 1758 Ashael Steb- bins was killed; and his wife, Is- aac Parker and a soldier were cap- tured. In September, 1760, Jo- seph Willard, his wife and child-


ren were taken prisoners. After they had proceeded on their journey a few miles, the Indians, finding that the infant child gave signs of uneasiness, and fearing that it might impede their progress, took it aside and beat out its brains. This, it is believed, was among the last depredations committed by the Indians in New England. The prisoners taken from Charlestown were all conveyed to Canada, by way of Lake Champlain, and sold to the French. Nearly all were sooner or later redeemed by gov- ernment or by their friends. Charlestown originally included part of Langdon, and was incor- porated July 2, 1753.


First Ministers. Rev. John Dennis, who, on account of the In- dian war, was ordained in North- field, December 4, 1754; dismissed in 1756. Rev. Burkley Olcott, or- dained May 28, 1761; died June 26, 1792. Rev. Daniel Foster acted as pastor from 1796 to 1809. Rev. Jaaraniah Crosby ordained Octo- ber 17, 1810.


Boundaries. £ North by Clare- mont, east by Unity, Acworth and Langdon, south by Langdon and Walpole, and west by Springfield and Rockingham, Vermont. Area, 21,400 acres; area of improved land, 15,654 acres.


Distances. Fifty - one miles west from Concord, and twenty miles south-west by railroad from Newport.


Railroads. Sullivan Railroad passes through the western border of this town.


CHATHAM.


CARROLL COUNTY. The surface of this town is broken and moun- tainous and three-fourths of the


-


92


NEW-HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.


area is covered by a heavy growth of timber, consisting of the various kinds of hard wood, hemlock, spruce, and some pine. Much of the soft wood is being cut and floated down the Saco River, while the heavy growth of hard wood, at some day not far distant, will yield a rich reward to some of the enterprising men of the State, who always look at the main chance. The soil on the streams and upland is strong and productive. Apples are successfully grown in this town, and several other kinds of fruit. There are some very fine farms under a high state of culti- vátion.


Mountains. Carter's Mountain rises so high between this town and Jackson as to prevent the opening of a highway, and the people of the respective towns, in their intercourse, are obliged to pass through a portion of Maine. Kiarsarge, in the south-west cor- ner of the town, has an altitude of 3,400 feet. Upon the summit of this mountain is a commodious house for the accommodation of visitors. The views from this mountain are grand and very ex- tensive. In the north-west corner is Baldface Mountain, 3,600 feet high. Teams can be driven nearly to its summit. From the crest of this mountain the Tip-Top House on Mount Washington can be seen, also the ocean.


Ponds and Streams. There are several ponds in town, the princi- pal of which is Mountain Pond, · with an area of about one hundred acres, high among the mountains, entirely surrounded by the prime- val forest. Trout have been taken from this pond weighing six pounds.


There are several considerable streams, well stored with trout, and affording abundant water power.


Employment. Agriculture and lumbering are the principal occu- pations of the inhabitants. There is a clothes-pin manufactory which has just commenced business on an extensive scale.


Resources. Agricultural pro- ductions, $65,661; moncy at inter- est, $1,300 ;. mechanical labor, $3,200.


Churches and Schools. Congre- gational, Rev. E. B. Pike, pastor ; Methodist, Eliphalet Weeks, min -. ister. There are six schools in town. Average length of schools for the year, fourteen weeks.


First Settlers. Chatham was granted to Peter Livins and others, February 7, 1767.


Boundaries. North by White Mountains, east by Maine, south by Conway, and west by Bartlett and Jackson. Area, 26,000 acres; improved land, 3,848 acres.


Distances. Ninety-two miles north-east from Concord, and forty north from Ossipee.


Railroads. Twelve miles by daily mail to Fryeburg, in Maine, on the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad.


CHESTER.


ROCKINGHAM COUNTY. Chester formerly included the present town of Auburn which was set off in 1845. The soil of the larger por- tion of this town is excellent, and some of the large ridges are sur- passed in fertility by but few in the State. There are also some very valuable meadows. There are many fine farms under high culti- vation.


93


CHESTER.


Streams. There are several small streams, the largest of which is a branch of Exeter River, called the Branch.


Minerals. Plumbago, in consid- erable abundance and of good quality, is found here. Sulphur is also found in small quantities. The prevailing rock is granite and gneiss.


Employments. Agriculture is the principal employment of the people ; but, for a few years past, a few have been extensively engag- ed in the lumbering business. There have been annually sawed 1,300,000 feet, valued at $20,300. Shoe business is an important branch of industry; J. Underhill manufactures about 24,000 pairs annually, valued at $30,000. About 30,000 pairs of shoe stock are brought from out of the State to be made into shoes, valued at $37,000.


Resources. Annual value of ag- ricultural productions, $76,604; value of mechanical labor, $25, 300; stocks, bonds, and money at interest, $17,500; deposits in sav- ings banks, $47,309; stock in trade, $2,800; from summer tour- ists, $3,000.


Summer Resorts. The pleasant village in this town which stands chiefly on a long street, with beau- tiful dwelling houses on either side, surrounded with spacious, shaded grounds, has solicited the attention of the lovers of New- Hampshire summer scenery for a number of years, and it has now become quite a resort for summer tourists.


Churches and Schools. There are three churches in the town. Baptist, Joseph Stores, pastor ; Congregational, 200 members,


-


Charles Tenney, pastor; Metho- dist, Rev. James Adams, pastor. There are ten school districts, and eleven schools. Average length of schools for the year, seven weeks.


Library. Ladies Library Associa- tion, 400 volumes. People can have access to the library by paying twenty-five cents quarterly.


First Settlements. Chester is considered one of the old towns of the State. In 1719, about eighty persons, chiefly from Portsmouth and Hampton, formed an associa- tion, for the purpose of securing a tract of land in the "Chesnut Country," (so called) and stationed three men upon this tract, to hold possession until they should procure a lawful title. After considerable difficulty they obtained a grant of land, ten miles square.


Immediately the settlement was commenced by several persons from Rye and Hampton, among whom were Samuel Ingalls, Jona- than Goodhue, Jacob Sargent, Ebenezer Dearborn, Robert Smith, E. Colby and S. Robie, who con- tributed largely to the permanent success of the enterprise. On the 8th of May, 1722 the township which had hitherto been called Cheshire, was incorporated under its present name, and comprising an area of over one hundred and twenty square miles. If Chester had retained her original area, she would have had at the present time a population of nearly 6,500. In 1750, the south-west portion of the town, with a part of Londonderry, was set off, and forms the pres- ent township of Derry. In 1763, that part of the town called Charm- ingfare, was incorporated by the name of Candia. In 1765, another


94


NEW-HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.


portion was cut off, and incorpora- ted under the name of Raymond. In 1822, a portion of Hooksett was taken from Chester. In 1845, that portion of the town known as Long Meadows, was incorporated under the name of Auburn. Several garrison houses were kept in town until 1749, to guard against Indian depredations. In June, 1724, they took Thomas Smith and John Carr prisoners, but they soon made their escape, and arrived safe at a gar- rison in Londonderry, in three days after they were captured.


First Ministers. Rev. Moses Hale (Presbyterian,) settled in 1730, removed in 1734; Rev. John Wilson, settled in 1734, died in 1779. In 1740, a Congregational church was incorporated, and the Rev. Ebenezer Flagg was the first minister; he died in 1796. Rev. Nathan Bradstreet, was his suc- cessor, and so continued until 1818.


Boundaries. North by Candia and Raymond, east by Fremont, south by Sandown and Derry, and west by Auburn.


Distances. Seventeen miles west from Exeter, and twenty- three south-east from Concord.


Railroads. Six miles to Derry station on Manchester and Law- rence Railroad, six miles to Hamp- stead on Nashua and Rochester R. R.


CHESTERFIELD.


CHESHIRE COUNTY. The western border of this town is washed by the Connecticut river for a distance of six miles. Nearly the whole space, the hills rise abruptly from the river-side, affording but very little interval land. But it is con- sidered one of the best farming towns in the county, the uplands


being well adapted to grazing, and the production of corn, oats, barley and potatocs. It has the reputation of producing more fruit than any town in the county.


Ponds and Streams. Spafford's Lake is a beautiful sheet of water situated in the north part of the town. Its waters are remarkably clear and pure, its bed being a white sand. There is a beautiful island in the lake, of an area of six acres, affording a delightful retreat. On its east side issues a stream, called Patridge's Brook, sufficiently large for a number of manufactories. Cat's Bane Brook furnishes many good mill sites.


Mountain. West River Mountain (Wantastiquel) lies partly in this town and partly in Hinsdale. It is supposed to have been once sub- ject to a volcanic eruption. Lava in considerable quantities, can now be found near the (supposed) crater. A trembling motion is often felt, and a deep rumbling is heard in the mountain, by those living near its base. The first settlers, believing the crater bed to be a silver mine, made an excavation of nearly one hundred feet, prin- cipally through a solid rock.


Villages. Chesterfield has three villages very plasantly situated in different sections of the town. At the center there is an academy, which was opened in 1794. Fac- tory village is a busy place. There is one store, one hotel, one tan- nery, two saw mills and one large bit and auger manufactory.


Employments. The larger por- tion of the people are engaged in farming; but there is considera- ble manufacturing done in the town. The capital invested in manufactories, is over $ 40,000,


95


CHICHESTER.


principally consisting in augers and bits, $ 50,000; leather, 5,500 sides ; lumber, 940,000 feet; wheel heads, 20,000 annually manufactur- ed, and all valued at $ 85,000.


Resources. Annual value of productions of the soil, $ 145,200; mechanical labor, $ 30,200; money at interest, $ 20,000; deposits in savings banks, $ 43,413; stock in trade, $ 14,000; professional busi- ness, $ 10,000; summer tourists, 2,000.


Churches and Schools. Metho- dist, Rev. Noble Fisk, pastor; Congregationalist, no pastor. And two other churches with no per- manent pastor. There are fifteen schools in town, average length for the year, nineteen weeks.


Hotels. Spafford House at Fac- tory village, and Lake House at the center.


First Settlers. Chesterfield was granted to twelve persons by the name of Willard and fifty-two oth- ers February 11, 1752 and originally called "Number One." The first settlers were Moses Smith and William Thomas, who, with their families, came up the Connecticut in canoes, in the fall of 1761. Their chief subsistence through the win- ter and spring of their first year in the wilderness, consisted of salmon and shad of which there was a great abundance in the river, and deer, which were numerous in the forests.


First Minister. Rev. Abraham Wood, Congregationalist, ordained in 1772, died in 1823.


Boundaries. North by West- moreland and Keene, east by Keene and Swanzey, south by Winchester and Hinsdale, and west by Brattleborough and Dum- merston Vermont. Area, 29,439


acres; improved land, 19,450 acres.


Distances. Sixty-two miles south-west from Concord, and eleven south-west from Keene.


Railroad. It is eleven miles to Keene station on the Cheshire railroad.


CHICHESTER.


MERRIMACK COUNTY. Chiches- ter is a good farming town, the soil, in most parts, being rich, abundantly repays the cultivator for his labor. The surplus products of the farmer find a ready mar- ket in Concord, Pittsfield and Sun- cook. Many farmers in this town have become quite wealthy by their industry.


River and Pond. The east part of the town is watered by Suncook River, which furnishes some good mill sites, and flows through some fine interval. Pinkfield Pond is in Chichester from which flows a small stream south-west into the Suncook.


Bear Hill. In the north part of the town is the highest eleva- tion. It is under a high state of cultivation and very productive.


Indians. On the banks of the Suncook were the plantations of the Penacooks, a powerful tribe of Indians, who once resided in this vicinity. Chisels, axes &c., of stone, are frequently discovered.


Employments. The people are principally engaged in Agriculture. The manufactured goods consist of 2,500 clapboards; 550,000 shin- gles; 270,000 feet of boards 25,000 pairs women's boots and shoes; carriages &c. (See tables).


Resources. Productions of the soil annually valued at $ 85,000; from mechanical labor, $ 10,700; stocks, bonds and money at interest,


1


e


96


NEW-HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.


$ 17,500; deposits in savings banks, $ 60,055; stock in trade, $ 4,500.


Churches and Schools. There are three churches; Advent, no pas- tor; Congregationalist, Rev. Mark Gould, pastor; Methodist, Elder Samuel Beede, pastor. There are six school districts and six schools ; average length for the year, nine weeks. Langmade High School fund, $ 5,000.


First Settlers. Nathaniel Goo- kin and others obtained a grant of this town in 1727. The first settle- ment was commenced by Paul Morrill; in 1753.


First Ministers. Rev. Josiah Carpenter, ordained in 1791, dis- missed in 1827.


Boundaries. North-east by Pittsfield, south-east by Epsom, south-west by Pembroke, and north-west by Loudon and Con- cord, Area 11,978 acres.


Distances. Eight miles east from Concord.


Railroads. Suncook Valley at Epsom station, Pine Ground vil- lage.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.