History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 18

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 18


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


In June next, the Young Ladies' Seminary, of Benicia, will celebrate the 25th anniversary of its foundation. Two of its original Board of Trustees have died - the other seven are still living, and one of them stands before you.


On the 1st of January, 1853, St. Catharine's Acadamy, under the charge of the Roman Catholic Sisters of St. Dominic, was established at Benicia, having been removed from Monterey to this, as the more eligible location. This school for young ladies has been uniformly well attended, and appears to have enjoyed a satisfactory degree of patronage. Everything about it wears an air of comfort, cheerfulness, and prosperity, and it enjoys an ex- cellent reputation. The grounds are extensive and well cultivated, and the buildings commodious.


166


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


In the summer of 1853, the Rev. Charles M. Blake established a boarding school for boys, which a year or two afterwards passed into the hands of Mr. C. J. Flatt, under whose proprietorship it was known as the Collegiate Institute, connected with which some ten years later was a Law School.


In December, 1867, Mr. Flatt disposed of the property to the Pacific Coast Mission, of which the Rev. Dr. Breck was the head, and the school then became the nucleus of what has since grown to be St. Augustine's College, with the history of which this audience should be somewhat famil- iar. The premises have been greatly enlarged and improved, affording accommodations for one hundred boys, which number, however, has not yet been secured, though the institution well deserves them. Not less than fifty thousand dollars have been expended upon the property, which is in a good state of preservation and cultivation, making it an attractive seat of learning. The college owns fifty acres of land within the city limits, which, in time, must constitute for it a valuable domain. The whole is under the special supervision of Bishop Wingfield, who, with his family, has his Epis- copal residence on the premises.


One of the objects of the Pacific Coast Mission was to establish a church school for girls. Accordingly, in June, 1870, the Rev. Dr. Breck purchased a block of land in the vicinity of St. Augustine College, and commenced the erection of the buildings for " St. Mary of the Pacific." A year or two later these were completed, and has ever since constituted the chief ornament of the town. The garden and surroundings of St. Mary's, make it an a tractive spot. The school grew and prospered steadily under the fatherly care of Dr. Breck, until his untimely death, which took place on the 30th of March last, at which time the school was so full that the good Doctor had had it in contemplation to put up additional buildings, in case his health was restored. But it was not so to be, for our all-wise Heavenly Father was then pleased to take him to Himself. As a natural consequence of his death, the school has since fallen off some; but is now recovering, and will doubtless soon enter upon a renewed career of prosperity, under the rectorship of the Rev. John H. Babcock, who, with his wife, have just been placed in charge of the establishment by Bishop Wingfield. By former experience and present in- clination, Mr. Babcock is well fitted for the position and its various duties.


Reference has already been made to the Presbyterian Church, which was founded here in 1849, and abandoned in 1869, for want of adherents. It flourished until 1861 -the first year of the civil war - when it began to decline rapidly on account of dissatisfaction in the congregation at the de- determined political stand taken by the pastor, who was several times a can- didate for office on the unpopular side. Two years before its final abandon- ment, it was supplanted by the First Congregational society, who built, and still possess, a very comfortable house of worship, with a parsonage at- tached. The bell in its tower was cast in 1853, at the P. M. S. S. Co's. works, and was in use there until the works were abandoned.


167


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


The Methodists maintained an organization for a year or two, while Benicia was the Capital of the State ; but thereafter they withdrew from the field, and their insecure little building was blown down and destroyed in a S. E. gale which visited this part of the State, the Ist of January, 1855.


One or two attempts were made in early times to form a Baptist society, but without success.


The Roman Catholics founded their church of St. Dominic in 1851. It has always been sustained liberally by its adherents, and is apparently flourishing. In its tower is a large and very fine-toned bell, equal to some of the best in our city churches. The well-known Father Villarassa is the ehief pastor here. A substantial, two-story edifice, has recently been added to the premises, as a home for the Brothers, and a Theological School.


The first regular service of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Benicia was held on Sunday the 24th of September, 1854, in the court room of the City Hall. Major E. D. Townsend, U. S. A., a lay reader appointed by Rt. Rev. Bishop Kip, read the service and a sermon. On Sunday, the 22d of October, the Bishop himself officiated, and administered the Holy Commun- ion. From this time the services were regularly maintained, and a chapel was fitted up in the Masonic Hall early in 1855. On the 13th of February, 1855, a parish was formed under the name of St. Paul's Parish, to which the Bishop gave his approval on the 22d. The Vestry then organized, electing Paul K. Hubbs, Senior Warden ; Eugene Van Ness, Junior Warden ; the other Vestrymen being John Curry, Joseph Durbrow, C. W. Hayden, J. Howard, and John Taylor. Some of these names must sound familiar here, even at this late day. Col. Van Ness and Col. Hubbs have gone to the eternal world. Gen. Townsend is now Adjutant-General of the United States at Washington, where, also, Mr. C. W. Hayden resides. Judge Curry and Mr. Durbrow are among the honored citizens of San Francisco. Among the others that have since been Wardens and Vestrymen of St. Paul's, may be mentioned the names of Gen. John S. Mason, U. S. A., Hon. E. W. Mckinstry, Dr. Robert Murray, Hon. S. F. Reynolds, Capt. F. F. Flint, Dr. Cooledge, Col. J. McAllister.


The first missionary to St. Paul's Church was the Rev. David F. McDon- ald in 1856. He had then recently been ordained deacon in San Francisco. He is now a D.D .; rector of a church in Dardanelles, Arkansas.


Since his time the church at Benecia has been served with more or less regularity by Rev. E. W. Hager, Rev. James Cameron, Rev. E. G. Perryman, Rev. Dudley Chase, Rev. Henry G. Perry, and Rev. J. L. Breck, D.D. Mr. Cameron was rector from 1860 to 1865, and Dr. Breck from 1868 to 1876. Since the death of Dr. Breck, Bishop Wingfield has accepted and exercised the office of rector.


A church edifice was erected in the fall of 1859, and consecrated in February, 1860. In 1863 it was greatly enlarged and improved by the


168


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


addition of transepts, mainly through the liberality and exertion of the Rev. James Cameron, who, at the same time, presented the church with a very acceptable pipe organ, that is still in use. At the same time a par- sonage or rectory was built and presented to the church by Col. Julian McAllister, now Senior Warden of the Parish. In 1873, under the admin- istration of Dr. Breck, the church was again enlarged by lengthening the nave, and it is now, in its interior arrangements, one of the best planned and most attractive churches in California. Being attended regularly by the pupils of St. Mary's school and St. Augustine College, and a goodly share of the town's people, the congregations are generally large and the services full of interest, being participated in very heartily. It is quite refreshing to one accustomed to the low murmur of our city congregations to listen to the outspoken responses characteristic of this wide-awake assemblage.


There are many other topics that might properly have been introduced into this sketch and have proven, perhaps, more interesting than those actually touched upon, such as the history of military officers and their operations at the arsenal; the barracks and the Quartermaster's department; the pleasant character of the society that for so many years, during Benicia's palmy days, became a distinguishing feature in its history; the visit of Com. Perry's squadron in 1854, after its voyage around the world and its brilliant achievement in causing the ports of Japan to be opened to our commerce ; the many attempts at railroad building that have from time to time been unsuccessfully made and the hopes still entertained of success in the near future ; the many fires that have destroyed once valuable property; the founding and maintenance of manufacturing establishments for cement, leather, flour, etc., as well as personal reference to many friends, once resi- dents, now scattered all over California and other parts of the United States; but it is already too long, and this task must be considered com- pleted.


It has cost much time, application, research, labor, and self-denial, but if it shall have afforded entertainment, instruction, and food for thought to you who have so courteously bestowed upon it your attention, it will not be in vain that the sacrifice has been made."


With reference to the Deed mentioned in the foregoing lecture of Mr Gray, the tenor of it is in a few words: Five miles of land in the Suscol estate was ceded, transferred, and bestowed, freely and spontaneously to Don Thomas O. Larkin and Don Robert Semple, and their heirs and success- ors, by General Vallejo, as per measurement made by Don Jasper O'Farrell: " Beginning at a stone marked 'R. S.' and running N. 76 degrees W. to a


169


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


corner or angle five English miles; from thence in the direction S. 14 degrees W. to an angle one mile, a little more or less ; thence following the sinuosities of the bay, of the straits to the place where the measurement commenced, which, altogether, makes an extent of five English miles ; fol- lowing the turn of the bay, the sinuosities of the land, according to the measurement of plan above referred to." To this gift were attached the under-mentioned provisions : " First .- The grantees were to bind them- selves to found a city to be named Francesca or Benicia, and to divide the land into lots to be disposed of by sale, and establish ferry boats on the Staits of Carquinez. Second .- As soon as the city should contain one hundred families a magistrate or municipal authority shall be named. The ferry boats, together with the landing places, shall belong to the town, and their products used for the establishment of public schools. Third .- Until such hundred families are established the ferry boats and landings to belong to Robert Semple." The deed was executed on May 19, 1847, before Lilburn W. Boggs, Alcalde of the District of Sonoma.


This transaction afterwards proved invalid, the General, it was held, not having a good title to the lands of Suscol ; therefore a new form was gone through to establish the claim of Messrs. Semple and Larkin. Pursuant to an Act of the Legislature of the State of California, entitled "An Act to settle the title of lands in the town and city of Benicia, in the county of Solano, approved February 20, 1866," and in accordance with an Act of Congress, entitled " An Act to quiet the title to certain lands within the corporate limits of the city of Benicia and the town of Santa Cruz, in the State of California, approved July 23, 1866," notice was given to claimants to file their respective claims for lots and parcels of land.


An Act to incorporate the city of Benicia was passed April 24, 1851, bounding the site thus : " And that tract of land lying on the north side of the Straits of Carquinez, as surveyed by Benjamin W. Barlow, Esq., late City Surveyor, and designated by his map now on file in the office of the Clerk of Solano county, the southern boundary shall extend to the middle of the channel of the Straits of Carquinez." Following this the city was divided into two wards. Article two of the Act provides for the election of city officers ; article three apportioned their duties and powers ; article four, their compensation ; article five, the establishment of Recorder's and Jus- tice's Courts. Supplementary to the foregoing, was passed on April 13, 1854, an Act incorporating the city and granting additional powers to the Council; while the water front was ceded to the corporation by Act of the Legislature approved May 3, 1855.


After the survey of the site in 1847 it was laid out in streets and squares, there being twenty lots retained for public uses, besides the City Hall lot and two half blocks for parks, etc. From its start until April 18, 1859, the city was governed by a Mayor and Corporation, when on that date an Act to


170


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


repeal the several Acts incorporating the city of Benicia, was approved, and placed the town under the government of Trustees, who were to be elected to serve, thus: The party receiving the highest number of votes was chosen for three years, the second, for two, and the third for one year; and each following year, one Trustee should be elected for three years. A list of the Mayors has been already given, let us now present one of the Trustees : Those called upon to serve during the first term were George H. Riddell' three years, May, 1859 ; John J. Barry, two years ; C. W. Hayden, one year, Thereafter there ensued a yearly election for a term of three years : 1860- C. W. Hayden, G. H. Riddell, J. J. Barry. 1861 -- S. C. Gray, C. W. Hayden, G. H. Riddell. 1862-T. B. Storer, S. C. Gray, C. W. Hayden. 1863-E. Dan- forth, T. B. Storer, S. C. Gray. 1864-S. C. Gray, E. Danforth, T. B. Storer (resigned), C. B. Houghton, (elected). 1865-C. B. Houghton, S. C. Gray, , E. Danforth, (resigned), J. Hatch, (elected). 1866-E. H. Von Pfister, C. B. Houghton, S. C. Gray. 1867-J. F. Swain, E. H. Von Pfister, C. B. Hough- ton. 1868-C. B. Houghton, J. F. Swain, E. H. Von Pfister. 1869-E. H.


Von Pfister, C. B. Houghton, J. F. Swain. 1870-J. F. Swain, E. H. Von Pfister, C. B. Houghton. 1871-C. B. Houghton, J. F. Swain, E. H. Von Pfister. 1872-James Flannery, C. B. Houghton, J. F. Swain. 1873- John J. Barry, James Flannery, C. B. Houghton. 1874-C. B. Houghton, J. J. Barry, James Flannery. 1875-J. R. Brown, C. B. Houghton, J. J. Barry. 1876-J. J. Barry, J. R. Brown, C. B. Houghton. 1877-C. B. Houghton, J. J. Barry, J. R. Brown. 1873-D. N. Hastings, C. B. Hough- ton, John J. Barry. 1879-James Barry, D. N. Hastings, C. B. Houghton. The office of City Clerk was filled by the following gentlemen: 1850-51- B. D. Hyam and John B. Dow. 1851-54-B. C. Whitman. 1854-56- David F. Beveridge. 1856-57-E. H. Von Pfister. 1857-59-J. W. Kin- loch. Since the election of Trustees one of their number has officiated as Clerk until 1878. The City Assessors were: 1850-51-Stephen Cooper. 1851-53-Singleton Vaughn. 1853-54-H. P. Ammons. 1854-55-H.


Norton. 1855-56-J. W. Kinloch. 1856-58-Peter Wright. 1858-59- H. Norton. From this year up until 1877, inclusive, the county officials assessed, collected, and disbursed the funds. In 1877 E. H. Von Pfister was elected to the office, a position which he still retains. The City Marshals have been : 1850-John S. Brown. 1851-Beebe Robinson. 1852-53- A. H. Estell. 1854-55-A. J. Bryant. 1856-D. F. Beveridge. 1857-58- Luke Bond. From this period until the year 1872 the city was without a Marshal; in that year Jeremiah O'Donnell was appointed. In 1873 he again held the office. 1874-Patrick McNally. 1875-77-A. J. Glover, and 1878-79-F. P. Weinmann. The City Treasurers have been during that period, respectively : Messrs. D. F. Beveridge, Edward Crocker, R. M. Holladay, John J. Barry, with a long interregnum wherein the County Treasurer performed the duties for the city, when, in 1877, the present


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 171


incumbent, John Reuger, was chosen to fill the office. Space will not per- mit of our entering more fully into the names of the other officers who served Benicia, indeed it has been an arduous task, the tracing these we have enumerated. Suffice it to say that among the City Attorneys we find such well-known names as Leslie and Wells; while her Surveyors were Barlow, Patton, and De Hemmecourt.


Mention has, in a general way, been made of the schools of Benicia. We will now present the reader with a slight sketch of two of the principal seats of learning in the city :


THE YOUNG LADIES' SEMINARY .- This school was established in 1852, and was managed by a Board of Trustees for two years and a half. The following named gentlemen served on the Board : Hon. S. Bynam, Hon. S. Cooper, Capt. D. M. Fraser, S. C. Gray, B. W. Mudge, Dr. W. F. Peabody, Capt. J. Walsh, C. E. Wetmore, Rev. S. Woodbridge, E. Crocker, J. W. Jones, D. N. Hastings.


During the latter part of 1854, Miss Mary Atkins became the Principal of the school ; but in January, 1855, the proprietorship and sole management passed into her hands.


For nine years she labored successfully to bring the institution up to the highest standard, and when, in 1864, she was compelled to take a season of rest, she rented the Seminary to Miss Lammond, it then having about one hundred and fifty pupils, and an unequaled reputation for giving thorough training and a solid education.


Within a year Miss Atkins returned to her school, and found so few pupils that much of the work of building up had to be done once more. By untiring energy she re-established it, and it took, again, its place as the first- class school of the State.


In 1865, worn by years of unceasing labor, Miss Atkins retired from teaching. She sold the Seminary to Dr. and Mrs. C. T. Mills. They faith- fully labored to maintain the high position of the institution, and had six years of uninterrupted success. In 1871 they removed from Benicia to Seminary Park, Alameda county, where they had erected large and well- adapted school buildings.


Rev. Charles H. Pope then took charge of the Benicia Seminary, a trust which he faithfully administered for three years, when he removed from the State, and the school came under the principalship of Miss Snell.


In the spring of 1878 Miss Snell organized a school in Oakland, and Miss Atkins, after years of pleasant wandering, full of rich experience, has come back to the old roof-trec.


The following address was delivered by the Rev. Sylvester Woodbridge, D.D., of San Francisco, on October 11th, 1878, at a re-union of former pupils, held for the purpose of organizing a society to perpetuate the history


.


172


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


of the school, as well as making a presentation to Mrs. Atkins-Lynch on her return to Benicia :


" Memory and Hope are two angels that with golden chains bind the past to the future. We cannot afford to lose either. Without the former, our identity of being would cease, our treasures be lost, our responsibility be overwhelmed in the cold waves of oblivion. Without the latter, the future could have no encouragement, nor could we press forward and upward to success, reward, and the crown of glory.


THE PAST.


We cannot live over the past. We would not if we could. What once was vivid in its freshness and novelty would now seem cold and effete. The pleasures that once stirred the pulses to impetuous rebound, would cause them to thrill no more. The pains, then half neutralized by the daily stimulus of duty and zeal, would cling with iron grasp to us till we sank down exhausted.


But when we relegate the past to Memory's bright domain, the sweep of her magic wand spreads enchantment over the scene. The pains become but the foil and the background which serve to set off the successes and the joys, and bring them out in more brilliant colors. There we see the fields of usefulness, where the precious harvests were reaped; there the forms of beauty that 'are a joy forever;' there were awakened the friendships, whose light will endure beyond the shining sun.


THE BENICIA YOUNG LADIES' SEMINARY.


Radiant in the history of this State of California, lighted up by the glory of past years of success and great usefulness, stands this distinguished institution of learning. It began when innumerable and apparently insur- mountable obstacles stood in the way of success. But the need of its establishment, and the pressure of what they esteemed to be duty, rested upon those who felt called upon to engage in the enterprise. Therefore they manfully undertook the task, girded themselves for the arduous duty, made the great and needful sacrifices of money, time and toil, and in the year 1852, the Seminary was launched forth on the perilous seas of California's fluctuating fortunes. Often was the institution near bankruptcy and de- struction. But a kind Providence still and ever interposed, and in nothing more decidedly than when that eminent teacher to whom to-night we render the just honor which is her due, took charge of the Seminary.


THE PREVIOUS TEACHERS.


We would diminish nothing from the respect due to the principals and teachers who had charge of this institution during the earliest years of its


173


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


existence. Mrs. Wells, assisted by an able corps of teachers, took charge at the inception of the work, and toiled faithfully and successfully. Then Mrs. Nevins, whom we are pleased to see present to honor this occasion, and who labored unweariedly at her task. But the difficulties, chiefly pecuniary, and the burden of carrying the institution when there were so few young ladies yet in the State, and so small a proportion of that number seeking a liberal education, was calculated to paralyze the energies of the patrons of the institution. .


MRS. MARY ATKINS-LYNCH.


At the hour of utmost discouragement, Miss Atkins (that was, and she will allow me to recall the name which is so fragrant in our memories) became principal of the Seminary. She took upon herself with daring zeal all the responsibilities of its management and pecuniary liabilities. She became by purchase the owner of the buildings and other property, and boldly went forth to meet the dangers of the way.


Let no one suppose them to have been small. What perils were encoun- tered ; what lonely hours of weakness, weariness and discouragement were passed ; what tears flowed, and saddened prayers were offered, and pangs of disappointment were suffered before the sunlight rose, God only perfectly knows. It is well that the memory, or at least the vividness of the memory is hidden in the sombre shadows of the night of the past.


Then the Seminary began to rise before our people in all its excellence. Miss Atkins' high repute spread abroad. As fast as her means would allow, she surrounded herself with teachers of superior excellence. Classes of young ladies from the best families in the State gathered in these halls, The successful examinations, the fine exhibitions of talent at the Commence- ment exercises, the eclat given by the learning, refinement and superiority of the graduated pupils, placed the Benicia Young Ladies' Seminary in the front rank with the best institutions in America.


And the credit of this is due to Miss Atkins. Her pupils have made their mark in the world, and speak for themselves. They are among the most distinguished women in this State for all that makes women pre-emi- nent in intelligence, position and piety. On this platform I see one lady, (Mrs. Kincaid,) a graduate of this institution, who has made teaching her profession. She is one of the most distinguished and successful teachers in the Girls' High School in San Francisco. Everywhere in the families, the neighborhoods, the schools, the cities of our State, have the instructions and influence of Miss Atkins left an impression, deep, broad and abiding.


Nor is that influence confined to us. Many of the bright pupils who once lent radiance to these scenes, have left the dark earth, guided by that divine faith which led their steps up the heavenly way. The earliest and foremost of the graduates (Mrs. Walsh Ferguson) thus departed in the hope


174


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


of glory. Others have followed her. But last week there was one in San Francisco (Miss Mary Dollarhide) who hoped to have been present on this occasion. But this very week we have been called to follow all of her that was mortal to the house appointed for all living. But it is believed by many that the dead are sometimes permitted to revisit the earth, and though unseen by us, pass through our midst and rejoice in our joy. It is in speaking of the faithful dead that the Scriptures say : 'Seeing therefore that we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses !"' The beautiful dead who have gone up from us may return to hail and applaud our con- tinued zeal and efforts for good.


HOPE.


The Word of God forbids us to dwell amid the former scenes 'Forgetting the things that are past, press toward the mark for the prize' which God from on high is calling to us to attain, Mr. Moody's favorite song is one that it behooves us all to sing :




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.