USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 35
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
315
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Early Settlement :- The first settlers in this portion of Solano county, as has been mentioned elsewhere, were the two Spaniards, Vaca or Baca, and Peña, who, having received a grant from the Mexican government, settled here in the year 1841. In accordance with the provisions of all the grants of land of those days, these early pioneers commenced the erection of houses, the tilling of land, the planting of trees, and the rearing of stock. Adobe residences were constructed, wherein they dwelt; while others were erected in far off corners for the shelter of their herders and laborers. Fol- lowing the Vaca and Peña families, were Albert Lyon, John Patton and three others who came with them, namely, J. P. Willis, and Clay Long. These men entered into, the then, only occupation which offered itself, that of stock-raising. Two or three years later there arrived J. H., W. B., and Garard Long, who were shortly after followed by Marshall M. Bayse. This was in the year of '49. In 1850 there came Dollarhide and his three sons. Up to this year there had only two women arrived in the valley, they being the wives of Messrs. Lyon and Hollingsworth; though where the latter family located we have been unable to trace. In 1848, Hollingsworth, and a companion named Newman, while on their way to the mines, were mur- dered by Indians. The bodies were shortly after found by one of the Messrs. Longs and a party, while on a prospecting tour, and by them decently buried. Hollingsworth's family remained in Vaca valley for ten or twelve years after his death, when they broke up and removed to various parts of the State. Settlers, after this era, would appear to have arrived more rap- idly.
In 1851, J. P. Long brought with him the first flock of sheep that had ever crossed the plains to this State. They were three thousand in number · -he started with ten thousand head-which he drove to Vaca valley. Mr. Long remained in the township until 1854, when he returned to Missouri, and in 1859 went to Texas, where he follows farming, besides having a large cotton plantation.
In 1852, Edward McGeary, John Fisk, Mason Wilson, McGuire and his family, J. G. Parks, W. R. Miller, Richardson and S. W. Long, and W. A. Dunn and family, located in the township, and affairs partook of a settled appearance. The wonderful fertility of the district had been tested, and the rank growth of vegetation was fast falling before the arts and sciences of agriculture and commerce.
Let us glance at the Vacaville township of to-day !
As viewed from the head of Pleasants' valley no more picturesque land- scape can be found throughout the length and breadth of the Golden State than that stretching to the southward. This glorious glen, though compara- tively prescribed in breadth is possessed of a soil of the richest kind of al- luvial sediment, formed mostly from the debris of the adjacent mountain sides. Within the scope of vision there is nought to be seen but one
316
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
vast orchard and vineyard, arriving at a perfection which could only, in less favored spots, be attained by the tenderest care of forcing and training. Passing below the above-mentioned natural conservatory, the eye wanders over the wider and more extended Vaca val- ley. Here the orchards become less large and vast fields of grain present themselves-" long fields of barley and of rye," as Tennyson hath it; though on this occasion the latter cereal gives place to wheat, a prospect which brings with it rare content, content to the eye, as it rests on the limitless expanse of green, and content to the mind as the thought is flashed back of the number of hungry mouths and eager hands which will be fed and aided by the produce of these fields, in every quarter of the habitable globe.
The first settler in Pleasants' valley was J. M. Pleasants, who located there in the year 1851. Mr. Pleasants has some eight hundred acres of val- ley and hill land, that along the banks of the creek being well adapted for the growing of fruit and vegetables, while back towards the hills the soil is admirably adapted for the cultivation of grain. The hills offer abundant pasturage. Mr. Pleasants has here a very fine orchard. To the south of his lands lie the Pleasants' valley school, while at no great distance is the mill lately erected by him. The motive power is oxen working on a tread- wheel. Five of these animals are now used, but these have been found to be inadequate to perform the required task; the power, therefore, will shortly be augmented by the addition of others. Everything is ground in this mill, from barley to XXX flour.
The residence of W. J. Pleasants is situated on the opposite bank of the creek to the mill in the midst of a splendid orchard and fine grounds. This gentleman is the possessor of one thousand and fifty acres of magnificent valley and hill lands.
As a criterion of what can be done in the matter of fruit trees and grape vines, we would here enumerate the numbers of each that a few of the prin- cipal growers have on their lands: John Dolan, Sr., has about ten thousand vines and about one thousand each of peach and apricot trees ; M. R. Miller has one hundred acres in fruit and vines alone ; L. W. Buck has one hun- dred and fifty-six acres on his ranch, ninety of which he has in cultivation, where he has twenty-seven thousand vines of choice varieties, fourteen thousand having been set out this spring (1879); twelve thousand cherry trees, as well as a large number of apple, peach, and apricot ; he has also one hundred and twenty-five orange and lemon trees in a most flourishing con- dition, with every prospect of a speedy maturity ; while W. W. Smith has as many as four thousand cherry trees in a prosperous condition. In addi- tion to this particular line of cultivation, as we have already mentioned, there are several large farms throughout the district, that of Dr. W. J. Dob- bins, which contains about fourteen hundred and ninety-five acres, being
317
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
among the largest. In May of this year a visitor to the district writes : " The crop prospect in that section is simply immense. The grain crop could not look better, and, judging from the present outlook, there will be a heavy yield this year. The outlook for fruit is very encouraging indeed. The trees are fairly groaning under their burden, and we noticed limbs which had broken off, owing to the amount of fruit on them. We were informed that from one hundred to one hundred and fifty tons of fruit were shipped daily from Vacaville during some months of the year. This will give a person some idea of the amount of fruit grown in that section."
VACAVILLE .- On August 21, 1850, Manuel Cabeza Vaca deeded to Wil- liam McDaniel nine square miles of land, the consideration for which was that MeDaniel should lay out a town site on one of the square miles, name it Vacaville, and deed M. C. Vaca certain lots in said town, as well as pay the sum of three thousand dollars. Here follows the document : "Deed of Manuel Cabeza Vaca to William McDaniel. August 21, 1850. Considera- tion $3,000. Doth grant, bargain, sell and convey unto second party, all his right, title and interest in and to a certain tract of land in the County of Solano, and known and described as follows: The point at which the boundary of this tract of land was found is one mile and a half a mile due north of the point where the county road crosses the water beach or arroya deougua about one mile and a half east of said Manuel Cabeza Vaca's Rancho, thence due west to the base of the mountains in a southerly direc- tion three English miles, thence due east three English miles, thence due north three English miles, thence west to the place of beginning. So as to include three English miles square or nine square miles of land, and it is hereby agreed that the said McDaniel is to lay off on any one mile square of said land a town to be called Vacaville, and 1,055 of the lots in said town are to be deeded to him, the said M. C. Vaca, said lots to be average lots. his
Signed, MANUEL X CABEZA VACA. mark [SEAL]
Witness : L. B. MIZNER.
Acknowledged August 21, 1850, before B. D. HYAM, N. P.
Recorded August 22, 1850.
William McDaniel, on August, 1850, deeded to L. B. Mizner, an undi- vided half interest in this tract of land. They laid out a town site about the centre of the township and in accordance with the deed of M. C. Vaca named the place Vacaville, deeded to him two hundred lots on October 16, 1850. The town was surveyed by E. H. Rowe and a plat thereof duly recorded on December 13, 1851. So much for the birth of the town of Vacaville. The first building was erected in 1850 by William McDaniel ; the second one put up was a rude edifice used as a hotel by James McGuire.
318
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The first store was opened by E. F. Gillespie on block No. 16, it being a small tool-house owned by Mason Wilson. The following year he removed to a building he had erected on block No. 20, having previously purchased the entire block. The stone building is still standing and is the property of M. Blum. The first death which occurred in the township was in the year 1852, it being that of a stock-raiser named McGuire, who also kept a house of entertainment in the village. The situation of the town is very beautiful, surrounded as it is by such extensive farms ; it is a most ex- cellent point for trade, the places of traffic of all kinds doing a thriving business. About two years ago Vacaville was laid low by a fire which to- day leaves no traces. The business houses are located on either side of Main street, west of the Ulattis creek and embody all the variety of stores required for the center of a largely populated district.
Vaca Valley and Clear Lake Railroad Co :- Chief among the interests of the town, and which adds considerably to its prosperity is the railroad which now extends from Elmira to Madison in Yolo county passing through Vacaville and Winters. In the summer season this line does a prosperous business in freight and passengers. At present its managers are busily en- gaged in supplying the C. P. R. R. with gravel for ballasting their track. The road was incorporated and built in the year 1869 from Elmira to Vaca- ville to accommodate the shipping of fruit and vegetables. In 1876 it was extended to Winters, Yolo county. In 1877 it was incorporated as the Vaca Valley and Clear Lake Railroad Co., and extended to Madison, Yolo county, making the entire distance now laid about thirty miles. The officers are : President, A. M. Stevenson ; Treasurer, T. Mansfield; Secretary, E. Allison ; General Superintendent, G. B. Stevenson ; General Freight Agent, T. Mansfield.
CHURCHES. Baptist Church :- The Baptist Church of Vacaville was organized in the chapel of the California College with seventeen constituent members. Mr. P. C. Dozier was elected church clerk; Professor M. Baily being requested to fill the pulpit when no other preacher was provided by the church. Ministers from abroad filled the duties until February, 1873, when Rev. J. B. Saxton was appointed pastor and W. J. Sandefur, church clerk. Mr. Saxton resigned his charge in August, 1877, as did also Mr. Sandefur, since when the following gentlemen have officiated as church clerk : Prof. Kelly, J. T. Wallace, C. C. Bateman, M. Young and J. Donald- son. On October 13, 1877, the Rev. S. A. Taft, D. D. was elected to the pastorate and served for several months. In January, 1879, the Rev. W. Gregory, D. D. was called to the pulpit and is the present incumbent. The following have been the Deacons since the organization of the church : Professor M. Baily, elected February 8, 1873, Messrs. Brier and Walker, elected February 9, 1878, and J. Donaldson on March 16, 1879.
319
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The Church of Seventh-day Advents :- In December, 1877, there came to Vacaville B. A. Stevens, who commenced a series of lectures which resulted in the organizing of a church community under the above doctrine, consist- ing of between fifty and sixty members. This congregation has been ever since kept up by the indulgence of the members. There is no resident pas- tor, but occasionally the pulpit is supplied from San Francisco or elsewhere.
The Christian Church :- This church was organized in 1855 about two and a half miles from Vacaville with eleven members, but shortly after they moved into the town. Before this, 1874, their membership numbered two hundred. The first pastor was the Rev. Mr. McCorkle who remained with his congregation for two years when he was followed by various preachers, the last being Alexander Johnson. The value of the church property is $1,500.
Davis Hotel :- This house is situated on the northeast corner of block No. 14 and fronts Main street. It was built by Mason Wilson in 1858 and finished in October of that year. The main building is 30x65 feet, two stories, of brick ; there is an L 18x45 feet, two stories high with a kitchen extending east which is 12x16 feet, all of brick, while the establishment contains thirty rooms as well as a large double parlor. The building cost $14,000 including fixtures. On April 20, 1874, it was purchased by E. S. Davis, when his brother, J. F. Davis, took charge of it and has been the proprietor ever since. To the west and rear of the hotel is a garden with neatly laid out walks, ornamented with flowers and beautified by shade trees, while to the east of the property, and having the same owner, is a grove of Eucalyptus trees fronting Depot street, forming a favorite resort for picnics and such like.
California College :- This institution was started by Professor Anderson, of San Francisco, in the year 1855, as a private school, the building being one of the earliest erected away from the city of Benicia and the rising town of Vallejo. This school Professor Anderson maintained until the year 1858 ; it was a frame building, but his undertaking having been crowned with a certain amount of success he, in the meantime, erected a building of brick 50x80 feet as a College, while attached to the principal erection, at a distance of about 75 feet, a temporary structure was built two stories in height. There was also constructed a boarding-house of brick for the female department, and other houses in the grounds, for the males. The building, as originally erected by Mr. Anderson, was situated on the south side of Ulattis creek, on block No. 8.
In the year 1861, or, possibly later, the Rev. J. C. Stewart, by dint of ex- treme labor, received an endowment from the people of Solano, and the ad-
320
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
jacent counties, to the amount of $20,000, which, with the interest on this sum, was the Pacific Methodist College started by the Pacific Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Its first President was the Rev. J. C. Stewart, who would appear only to have served a year. The next President was the Rev. W. T. Lucky, D.D., an office he maintained until the spring of 1865. During his regime, though, it was then reported for political reasons, the college was burned. This did not, however, interfere with the pros- perity of the school, for on the destruction by fire of the principal edifice, a temporary use was made of a tent until after the exhibitions. The fol- lowing term was commenced in a boarding-house arranged for the purpose, whre they continued until the completion of the present building, which is of brick. Considerable delay was caused, however, in the attempt to con- struct the edifice of concrete ; this was a failure, from the consequences of a storm which washed all the necessary amalgamations away. The loss to the M. E. C. S., was considered to be between five and six thousand dollars. Almost immediately thereafter, a brick building of 60x90 feet was in the the course of construction on an elevation of land overlooking the town that had been originally owned by Mason Wilson, who had exchanged it for other property to the M. E. C, S., and which was completed in the year 1866 at a cost of $25,000. Shortly after the erection of the new college, Dr. Lucky resigned the presidency and was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Gober, who held the position for one term and was in turn succeeded by Rev. J. R. Thomas, D.D., LL.D., who held it until 1871, when the College was removed to Santa Rosa, in Sonoma county.
The College then would appear to have changed hands, as will be gleaned from the following excerpt from the report of C. L. Fisher, Chairman of the Committee on Education, at the fourteenth anniversary of the Pacific Baptist Association held at Petaluma, Sonoma county, in October, 1871 :
" On the first day of December, A. D. 1870, we came into the possession of the well known college property of the Southern Methodist denomination at Vacaville, Solano county, California, valued at $25,000. By the payment of $4,000 on the 3d day of November, A. D. 1870, this property was formally accepted by our denomination through an Educational Convention duly called for that purpose ; who also at that time elected a Board of Trustees, to whom was intrusted its future management and control, and who adopted a Constitution and By-Laws for their guidance. Being thus at once put in possession of a property valuation sufficient to enable us to secure a college charter under the laws of our State, on the day of the present month such charter was duly received under the name of " California College."
" On the 4th day of January, 1871, by the election of the aforesaid Trustees, Professor Mark Bailey, of Petaluma, assumed the Presidency of the College and opened its first session with fourteen scholars. Since that
Robert Thehy
NEW YORK
321
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
time its cause has been onward; its influence widening; and under God's blessing, with the fostering sympathy and encouragement which is due from us as a denomination, its success assured."
A settlement made by Rev. J. E. Barnes, and appended to the report quoted above, shows the amount received up to May 16, 1871, to be $2,971 38. Of this amount there was paid to teachers, agent, and inci- dental expenses, $1,193 15, leaving a balance of $1,778 23 to be paid on notes given for the purchase of the college.
As is seen, Professor Mark Bailey, who was the first President, held his office until the spring of 1873, when Dr. A. S. Morrell, of Kentucky, was elected. In November, 1875, he was superseded by the election of T. W. G. Green, who held office until May, 1877, when Dr. S. A. Taft, of Santa Rosa, was chosen President until 1878, when the present Principal, Dr. U. Gregory, was elected.
Endowment :- In April, 1873, at a convention held at Vacaville, there was subscribed the sum of $3,700, a large portion of which was given by the residents of the town for the purposes of endowment, which, in the same summer, J. B. Saxton, on the same plan, increased by $6,000, when the financial work was handed to Dr. Morrell, who swelled the amount by $4,000.
The institution has in money and remunerative land $20,000, as an en- dowment. A valuable farm of 255 acres, within two miles of the college, has been given by Deacon Lankershim, of the Metropolitan Church, San Francisco. The Trustees have authorized the President to raise a fund of $3,000, the semi-annual interest of which is to be applied in the purchase of books for the college library, which now contains about 2,500 volumes. The Degrees of Master of Arts and Bachelor of Arts are conferred.
21
322
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
GREEN VALLEY.
Geography :- On June 27, 1866, the boundaries of Green Valley town- ship were finally ordered to be as under: Commencing at a rock mound on the crest of hills in section 34, township 4, N. R. 3 W., established by R Norris for a boundary between Napa and Solano counties ; thence northerly along the boundary line of said counties, to the north line of township 5, N. R. 3 W .; thence east along said township line to the dividing ridge running to the peak called "Twin Sisters;" thence southerly along said divide to Suisun creek, passing on the line of A. Blake and William Brown's land ; thence down said creek to the south-east corner of Hiram Macy's land ; thence south to the north line of section 16, township 4, N. R. 2 W .; thence west to Cordelia slough ; thence down said slough to the north line of sec- tions 31 and 32, township 4, N. R. 2 W .; thence west along said north line to the boundary line of Solano and Napa counties.
Topography :- This picturesque valley lies to the eastward of the Suscol hills, four miles east of Suscol valley, is six miles in length, one and a half in breadth and derives its name from a large portion of it being green the year round; it is watered by the Green Valley creek which rises in the south-west corner of township 5, N. R. 2 W., and runs in a south-easterly course for about eight miles and finally empties itself into Cordelia slough at Bridgeport.
GREEN VALLEY :- This is without doubt the acme of perfection as regards scenery, no finer could scarcely exist anywhere. Starting from Bridgeport and taking a northerly direction, following the creek as it meets us with many a babble and rush, we enter the narrow gorge which brings us into Green Valley proper. To the left are the bold and well defined mountains which separate Solano from Napa county; to the right are those which mark the boundary of Suisun valley, while in front is a prospect of ravish- ing beauty of hill and glade, interspersed with wooded knolls and shady ravines, which almost defy description. On either side are well laid out grounds having residences placed in the midst of gardens gladdening the eye with every color of flower and foliage, while on the hill sides appear acre upon acre of grape vines, arranged with the regularity and perfection of extreme nicety. After passing through what may be termed the throat of the vale, the scene extends into a wide amphitheatre of untold glory ; at the upper end are the famous Green Valley falls developing a prospect
323
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
which repays any amount of fatigue and toil. From either hand the speak- ing rills pour their murmuring waters into the parent stream, after purling down the mountain sides in many a beauteous rapid and cascade; shady pools give promise of rare sport to the followers of the gentle art, high rocks suggest the lair of snakes and other creeping things; wild flowers n inaccessible spots add quietude to the scene, while the swooping hawk high over head acts as a terror to the merry songsters as they flit in frightened excitement from branch to twig and back to branch again. Our feeble pen can give no semblance of an idea as to the beauty of this scene ; appreciation can only be attained by seeing it for oneself.
Grape Growing Interest :- This enterprise was commenced by John Voly- pka, an Austrian, who located a farm at the foot, or near the foot of the " Twin Sisters " mountain in the spring of 1858, planting a vineyard at that date and commencing the manufacture of wine in 1863. In the fall of 1860 Henry Shultz planted out a vineyard, being joined by his brother in the fall of the year, the firm now being C. Shultz & Co. They have on their grounds a wine cellar 38x100 feet in dimensions in which are about twenty- five casks with a capacity of from five to thirteen hundred gallons each. In the cellar there are also ranged pipes and barrels, making the entire capacity in the vicinity of about ten thousand gallons. S. F. Jones, the largest manufacturer, settled in Green Valley in the year 1860, where he has erected a very complete cellar capable of containing fifty thousand gallons, and having all the necessary appliances appertaining to an estab- lishment of this nature. From Mr. Jones we learn many most interesting facts connected with the making of wine. He has ninety acres laid out in vines from which he distills about six thousand gallons per acre when crops are good. Henry Brown also commenced the business in 1863. The foregoing are among the more important names interested in the develop- ment of this special trade ; there are, however, many others, but want of space precludes our mentioning all, save those of the principal manufacturers.
CORDELIA :- Next to Benicia this is the town of longest life in the county. Originally it was situated in Green Valley, about one-half mile north of the present town of Bridgeport, on the old stage road between Sacramento and Benicia. As far back as the year 1853 there was a post office established here, but it was afterwards removed to Rockville and thereafter to Bridge- port. The place, which now only exists in name, has been the scene of many of the meetings of the early county conventions, but the require- ments of the times, plus the railroad, have absorbed it.
BRIDGEPORT :- The successor to the glories of the above described town is a station on the California Pacific Railroad situated about fifteen miles
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.