History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 41

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 41


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


MUCH, U. S. N., GEO. W., the Naval Constructor at Mare Island, is a native of Philadelphia, Pa., and born on 22d June, 1825. Here he re- ceived his primary education in the common schools, and his academical learning at the Stockdale Academy. Here, also, he learned and became proficient in the ship-carpenter's trade. In 1846 he went to New Orleans, thence down to the swamps of Louisiana, cutting live oaks for ship tim- bers. For two years he followed this pursuit, then returned to Philadel- phia, where he married, in November, 1848, Miss Eleanor W., daughter of George W. Barn, formerly of Maryland. About this time he went into business-pertaining to his trade-on his own account, which he con- tinued, at intervals, until 1858, when he was employed in the Navy Yard as foreman of the construction department. On May 17, 1866, went into the regular naval service, and appointed Assistant Naval Constructor ; at the same time received orders to report at Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston, Mass. In 1869 returned to Philadelphia Navy Yard, where he


371


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


remained until April 15, 1871, when he was promoted Naval Constructor, and repaired to the Washington Navy Yard. Came to Mare Island Navy Yard in June, 1873, where he has been an able and efficient officer, at the head of the Construction Department.


MACDONALD, REV. DAVID F., D. D., Rector of the Church of the Ascen- sion, Vallejo, is a native of Rosshire, Scotland, having been born there in the year 1837. He received his early education in Inverness, the capi- tal of the Highlands, and thereafter prosecuted his studies at the Edin- burgh University, at which seat of learning he received the degree of Master of Arts. In 1854 he was sent with Letters Dismissary by the Lord Bishop of Moray and Ross, the present Primate of the Scottish Episco- pacy, to the Bishop of California, and arrived in that State in September, 1855, and was, shortly after, ordained by Bishop Ingraham Kip in the old Trinity Church, in San Francisco, his being the first Episcopal ordination held on the Pacific Coast.


In the following year he was directed by the Bishop to assume charge of the missionary district of Benicia, where he performed service in a tem- porary building fitted up for the purpose. While there Doctor MacDon- ald was the spiritual adviser of Beverly Wells, the first criminal hanged in Solano county. From Benicia he was moved to Coloma, El Dorado county, where he continued his missionary labors for two years, and built a church, and established a congregation at Hangtown (now Placerville). In 1859 he was called, as Rector, to St. John's Church, Stockton, where he labored for two years further, and, on the breaking out of the war, he proceeded to North Carolina, and followed the fortunes of the Southern army, until peace was declared. At this period he was the recipient of a · call to St. James', Olean, Western New York, where he remained three years, and from there was called to Sag-Harbor, Long Island, having charge of the Episcopal Church there for seven years. In 1875 he went to Sharon, Conn., and, at the end of two years, assumed charge of Baxter County School, Arkansas, for one year ; he then went to Dardanelles, in that State, where he erected St. Paul's Episcopal Church, of which he was Rector until 1878, when he accepted a call to the Church of the Ascen- sion at Vallejo. Was created a Doctor of Divinity in 1859. Dr. Mac- Donald married, first, in 1865, Nellie, only daughter of Daniel Judd, of Hinsdale, Western New York, who died in 1869, by whom he has Flora, born in 1866 ; and Katie, born in 1869. He married, secondly, at Trinity Church, New York, August 13, 1874, Susannah, daughter of George W. Whitaker, of the Manor, Oxford, England.


McCUDDEN JAMES, dealer, in wood, coal, lumber and groceries, was born in the county of Fermanagh, in Ireland, in 1837, and arrived in the United


372


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


States in 1853, first settling in the city of New York, where he remained some years, when he came to California, in 1857. In 1861 he opened the Union Hotel in Vallejo, remaining its proprietor for ten years. In 1874 his present business was established, and two years afterwards he first started in the lumber trade. Mr. McCudden is one of Vallejo's most hon- ored citizens ; his election to the Board of Supervisors in 1877 proving the estimation in which he is held.


MCDERMOTT, ROBERT, born in Ireland in 1841, and came to America in 1842 with his parents, who settled in Lower Canada, where they re- sided till 1848, when they moved to Upper Canada. In 1859 he crossed to the United States, and took up his residence in McComb county, Mich- igan, remaining there till 1860. In April of this year he enlisted in Co. A., Ninth U. S. Infantry, and was stationed in the Detroit -Recruiting district for some time, when he went to the North Pass of the Rocky mountains, where he got his discharge under the Minor's Act. He re- mained in that section of the country till the fall of 1863, when he again enlisted in the First Oregon Infantry, and served till the end of the war. Arrived in Vallejo in June, 1867, and purchased the one-half interest of F. O'Grady, in the Empire Soda Works. Married April 19, 1869, Catha- rine Monaghan, a native of Ireland.


McDONALD, T. P., born in Galena, Joe Davies county, Illinois, March 21, 1850, and in 1857 moved with his parents to Nevada county, California, where he remained till 1867, when he came to Vallejo, and entered into - the employment of E. McGettigan, in the wholesale liquor business, until 1875, when he became clerk at the Howards, filling that position till Sep- tember, 1878, when he formed his present partnership with James Ward. Mr. McDonald has been a member of the Vallejo Rifles since 1869; held the office of Second Lieutenant for four years, and was promoted to be First Lieutenant in May, 1877.


McDONALD, WILLIAM, born in Frostburg, Alleghany Co., Maryland, in 1850, and moved with his parents to California in 1854, first settling in San Francisco, where they remained three months, and then accompanied them to Vallejo. In 1867 he began an apprenticeship in the bricklayer's department in the Mare Island Navy Yard, where he was employed till elected City Marshal by the Republican party in 1878. Mr. McDonald's father died in Vallejo, Sept. 19th, 1875; his mother is still living, how- ever, and makes her home with him. He married, May 29th, 1870, Miss Mary Brown, by whom he has two children : Amelia, born April 8, 1871, and William, born February 10, 1875.


373


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


McGETTIGAN, EDWARD, was born in County Doncgal, Ireland, March 20, 1840, and emigrated to America in 1856, arriving in New York in January, 1857. He at once removed to Philadelphia, where he sojourned one year, at the end of which he sailed, via Panama, for San Francisco, arriving there in June, 1858. He lost no time, but went to the moun- tains and engaged in mining in Butte county. In May, 1859, he located in Vallejo. In 1862 he established the Vallejo Brewery in company with A. Murray and James McGarvey, but sold out his interest in 1865. Shortly after this date he opened the Empire Soda Works. In 1874, the Vallejo Brewery was in the market ; he therefore purchased it, changing its name to the Pioneer Brewery, after having first rebuilt and refurnished it.


To Mr. McGettigan, aided by General Frisbie, is due the building of the street-car railroad in Vallejo, whereby real estate was improved to the extent of many thousands of dollars, enhancing thereby the condition of Inany of the poorer class of citizens. He was twice elected to fill the re- sponsible position of City Trustee ; how well he discharged the duties of that office, the records of the corporation can truly attest ; and as one of the Directors of the Saving and Commercial Bank, his true honesty is best told by the valuable services rendered in placing that institution upon a sound and solid basis, rendering that aid, which the general crash de- manded, by surrendering the carnings of twenty years' toil to meet his obligations and perpetuate his honor and integrity as a man and a worthy citizen. Mr. McGettigan is also largely interested with General J. B. Frisbie in the following mines in New Mexico: Consolidated Hidalgo, and Esperanza Consolidated, ventures which bear every promise of being both valuable and fruitful. He married in 1864, Miss Mary A. O'Grady.


McINNIS, J. A., (grocer) was born in Prince Edwards Islands on March 4, 1838, where he remained till 1855, being raised on a farm ; emigrated to Boston, Mass., in 1855, and engaged in working at different occupations till June 7, 1857, at which time he joined the U. S. Navy as a marine and was stationed at the Charleston Navy Yard, making a cruise on the U. S. " Merrimac " to the South Pacific Squadron; stationed there till 1860 ; returned to Norfork, Virginia, and was transferred to Charlestown Navy Yard, Mass .; remained on duty as a non-commissioned officer till September, 1861; transferred to headquarters, Washington, D. C., and joined the Marine Batallion, under Major John G. Reynolds, and joined the expedition under Commodore Dupont and General W. T. Sherman, which left Handon Rose, Virginia, for Port Royal, South Carolina, from which port they sailed in October following on the Ship Transport " Governor." On this voyage, while off Cape Hatteras, they encountered a terrible hurricane, the steamer being wrecked in the gale, losing one


374


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Corporal and six privates, and, after thirty-six hours, without food or drink, the battalion was picked up by the U. S. S. "Sabine." On arriving at Port Royal, the fleet, under Commodore Dupont, bombarded Fort Beauregard and Fort Walker; silenced their batteries, and General Sherman's forces and the Marine Battalion landed and took possession of the forts; remained there on duty till February, 1862; joined an expedi- tion, fitted out at Port Royal, under General Cushman and Dupont, and proceeded to Ferendino, Florida. On arriving there the rebels deserted the fort and batteries, and a portion of the army was landed and took possession of the town, fort, and batteries. The expedition then pro- ceeded to St. Augustine, Florida. On arriving, the rebels retreated, and a portion of the army landed and took possession of the town, fort, and batteries. Returned to headquarters at Washington, D. C., remaining there off duty till December 1, 1862; proceeded then under orders to Brooklyn, New York, and joined a command under Major A. C. Garland and proceeded by steamer for Mare Island Navy Yard, California. While en route from New York to Aspinwall on the passenger steamer " Ariel," she was captured and made prisoner by the Confederate States " Alabama," (Captain Semmes). All the command were made prisoners of war, their armor equipment and military stores being captured and taken on board of the " Alabama." After twenty-six hours Captain Jones of the "Ariel " signed a bond to the Captain of the "Alabama," and was relieved and proceeded on their passage to Panama, and arrived at Mare Island Navy Yard, California, December 28, 1862. Detailed on service at San Francisco till 1864; stationed at Marine Barracks, Mare Island, as First Sergeant till June, 1876, when he left the service and engaged in the grocery business in Vallejo. Mr. M. was elected one of the city Trustees in March, 1878, an office which he now holds.


McKNIGHT, ANDREW, block and pump maker, was born in Liverpool, England, February 11, 1825, where he served his apprenticeship under George Roberts. In July, 1848, he sailed from that port to America, and arrived in upper Canada in October; in the succeeding year removing to New York, which he left for California in February, 1860, arriving in San Francisco March 14th of that year. In June, 1861, he located in Vallejo, where he has since resided, being employed principally on the Mare Island Navy Yard. Mr. McKnight married in New York, Septem- ber 30, 1852, Miss Mary Crawford, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, by whom he has Andrew J., born in Brooklyn, New York, September 1, 1853; Richard, born October 13, 1855; Mary A. C., born November 19, 1857, married to Georgo W. McGill, of Vallejo; Joseph Thomas, born in San Francisco, April 19, 1861, and died April 16, 1862; Elizabeth, born in Vallejo, April 16, 1863; Agnes, born March 25, 1866, and Samuel James, born October 2, 1870.


375


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


McKNIGHT, ANDREW J., was born in Brooklyn, New York, September 1, 1853, and, with his parents, came to California in 1859, residing first in San Francisco. In June, 1861, he accompanied them to Vallejo, where they are now located. Mr. McKnight holds the office of Deputy Marshal of the city of Vallejo. He is unmarried.


McLEOD, JOHN C., was born in Inverness, the Capital of the High- lands of Scotland, on March 19, 1801, but, at the age of three years, he was taken by his parents to Pictou, Nova Scotia, whither they had emigrated. Here he served an apprenticeship to a ship-carpenter, and, when seventeen, sailed on the ship " Harvest Home " to Whitehead, Eng- land, where he completed the learning of his trade, and from which place, in 1823, he sailed for New York City, where he settled. In 1828 he joined the ship " Sampson," a vessel bound for London. At that port he shipped on board the East India Company's ship "Duke of Sussex," in which he made a voyage to Calcutta and Bombay, at which place he arrived during the ravages cominitted by a cholera epidemic in 1832. From Bombay the vessel proceeded to Canton, China, where, having loaded a cargo of tea, he sailed for London; here, in 1833, he joined the schooner " Bonanza," and in 1834 landed at Monterey, California. Here, and at Santa Cruz, Mr. McLeod remained for eighteen months, trading with the Mexicans and Indians in tallow and hides, when the vessel, taking Mr. McL. and his freight on board, sailed for London. From the metropolis of Great Britain he once more returned to New York, and shipped on board the "Champlain" to Liverpool, sailing thence to Canton, China, and Manilla, in the Phillipine Islands, where, securing a cargo of rice, they returned to Canton. From this port our voyager traded to Batavia, in the island of Java, in rice, at the end of which he again returned to New York in 1838. For the next ten years Mr. McLeod passed most of his time in trading between that city and Liverpool, until, in December, 1849, he sailed for Panama in the steamship "Philadelphia." On arrival there he took passage in the "California " and arrived in San Francisco in January, 1850, and at once proceeded to Benicia, where he commenced working at his trade in the employ of the Pacific Mail Company. There he remained until August, 1851, when he went to the Southern mines, prosecuting that life in Sonora and other places for a short time, after which he made for Sutherland's creek, Wood's creek, and other mining localities, until he returned to San Francisco and worked at his trade. This was, however, but for a little while, for shortly after, in 1853, we find him established in a building and repair- ing yard in Redwood City, a business he continued with much success until 1860, when he came to Vallejo and has since found employment on Mare Island Navy Yard. Mr. McLeod married in Jersey City, Novem-


376


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


ber 25, 1842, Mary Farrier, a native of Scotland, who died in Vallejo, March 9, 1878, by whom there are three children living: Mary J., Sarah E., and Isabella.


McPIKE, A. J., is a native of the State of Illinois having been born on February 10, 1832. In the year 1852 he emigrated to California crossing the plains with an ox-team having left his home on March 23d and arrived at Hangtown (now Placerville) on September 22 of the same year. Remained at Reservoir Hill near Placerville during the winter of 1854, organizing and teaching a common school but not meeting with sufficient encouragement he abandoned that profession and took his departure for Sacramento, arriving there in January, 1855, when he in company with two others engaged in the traffic of young cotton-wood trees. His next enterprise was that of freighting from Sacramento to Yankee Jims, Au- burn, Iowa Hill, etc., with a six-mule team. In June of the same year he entered into partnership with three others and contracted to build about four miles of flume on the old Eldora ditch from Michigan Bluffs up Eldora canon, which enterprise was surmounted in spite of many difficul- ties. In May, 1862, Mr. McPike came to Vallejo, but in common with others, in the following October he went to Washoe, arriving in Virginia city on the 23d of that month. At this time he visited all the principal mines and worked in one of the most celebrated, and thereafter took a situation in the wholesale grocery house of Sydnor & Carlyle as salesman, remaining with them and their successors Sloat & Finney until Septem- ber, 1863. The White House was just being completed ; he leased the same and carried on the business successfully for two years, when he sold out on account of failing health, and visited, in August, Plumas county, and there invested in hydraulic and gravel mines. In October he revisited Virginia city where he married, immediately after returning to Genesee, on Grizzly Creek, where he had established his residence. At the time Mr. McPike had taken an active part in local politics and the Democratic party, to which he had always adhered, having been that year successful, he was tendered the position of Deputy Sheriff by the Sheriff elect, James H. Yeates, which he accepted, still retaining his mining interests, but Yeates' election was contested by the Republican nominee, Stephen J. Clark, and given by the Courts in favor of the former, but on appeal to the Supreme Court the decision of the lower Courts was re- versed and Clark installed in the office. In the whole of the transac- tions connected with this case, which at the time created much interest, the subject of this sketch took a prominent part.


In May, 1867, he returned to his mining interests at Genesee and Grizzly Creek, in August of the following year sold out at a great sacrifice, and in September following moved to Chico, Butte county, residing there


·


377


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


until March, 1869. On the 17th of that month he arrived in Vallejo, where he has since resided. From 1869 to 1872 he was employed as book-keeper and salesman to W. Stannus Shellhorn and William and W. N. Stannus, and in July, of the latter year, he was tendered .the position of book-keeper, cashier and collector to the Vallejo City Water Company, a position which he still holds. In March, 1874, Mr. McPike was elected a member of the Board of Education, Vallejo, having again been elected in 1876 ; in this year he was also Secretary to Naval Lodge, of F. A. M., as well as for the Naval Royal Arch Chapter, and is now Most Worthy Patron of Silver Star Chapter, O. E. S., No. 3, and has been agent, at Vallejo, for nearly three years of the Ætna, of Hartford, Insurance Company. In 1876, was appointed, by Governor Samuel J. Tilden, Com- missioner of Deeds for the State of New York, and has received a like position from Governor Grover, of Oregon.


Mr. McPike married, at Virginia city, October 3, 1864, Miss Bettie Hali- day, by whom he has : La Fayette, born on Grizzly ereek, June 25, 1865; Willie, born October 31, 1867 ; Andrew Jackson, born at Vallejo, August 30, 1869 ; Henry, born December 5, 1871. Mrs. McPike died March 27, 1874. He married, secondly, November 3, 1874, Miss Minerva Domigan, of Sonoma, and has: Charley, born January 30, 1876; and Mary M. born, November 20, 1877.


MURPHY, CHARLES, born on Bere-island, in the bay of Bantry, about 1822. At the age of three or four the family moved to the main land, within a mile of the town of Castletown, Berehaven, county Cork, Ire- land. Sailed from Liverpool in the ship " Torilento," and landed in New York in June, 1840; after remaining there some time went to New Lon- don, Connecticut, then returned to New York. In 1844 went to Phila- delphia ; thenee to Richmond, Virginia, and from there to Norfolk, where he sailed in the clipper ship Viola, Capt. Fitzerald, for Chagres, and sailed for San Francisco in the brigantine Soledad, 84 passengers from Norfolk, Va. Went to Sacramento on a sloop, the passage-money being $32; then staged to Sutter's mill, Coloma. Two days after, started for Ford's bar on the middle fork of the American river. Returned to Sutter's post office. Went on a prospecting trip; failed to get anything. Next went to Georgetown ; started for the North Yuba, via Kelly's bar, north fork of American river, and Johnson's ranch, on Bear river. Some time after went on the Gold-lake expedition, where he met his friend Michael Kane, of Front street, feeding on wild potatoes and leeks. In January, 1852, while searching for mules the Indians had driven off, was shot through the arm and laid up three months. On August 28, 1852, with four or five others, discovered and located the Buttes quartz mine; laid claim to 1500 feet. Afterwards engaged in the building business in San Fran-


378


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


cisco; next went to Mare Island Navy Yard and there worked a year: this was in 1859. Next employment was the building of St. Francis Cotholic church, at Vallejo. Lastly, the excavation for the stone dry dock, for which he claims $90,000. The case is set for trial in April, 1880. At present he is attending to his vineyard, about three miles from Napa City, and a farm of 800 acres, two miles distant from the same. Resides at Vallejo. Is married, but has no family.


NORTH, JOHN, dealer in groceries and provisions; was born in Nova Scotia, in the year 1823. In 1841 he first left his home, and was variously employed in different parts of the Eastern States until 1852, when he arrived in San Francisco, and resided there till the beginning of 1853, when he moved to Mare Island and managed a boarding-house, for Seacor, Harmon & Co., continuing there until the winter of 1854, when he again returned to San Francisco and engaged with Jones Coll, in the dairy business, and once more returned to Vallejo, having purchased the interest of Joseph Turner in the Central Hotel, he remaining interested in that establishment for one year. In 1855 he retired from the hotel and pur- chased a farm in the vicinity of Vallejo, for the purpose of rearing stock. In 1865 Mr. North disposed of his ranch, and, accompanied by his wife went to visit their relatives. On arriving at Amesbury, they found that, in the interval between leaving California and arriving at their destina- tion, by a strange fatality, Mrs. North's mother had died in Massachusetts, while his own had departed this life in Nova Scotia-a double stroke of ill-news. Now Mr. North invested in a farm at Wenham, Massachusetts, upon which he resided for twelve months, when he disposed of it and went to Nova Scotia, returning to Amesbury and engaging in the grocery business. In 1869 he again arrived in California, and in 1870 established himself in his present business. Mr. North married in 1865, in St. Louis, Sierra county, Matilda, daughter of Aaron and Elizabeth Osgood, of Amesbury, Massachusetts.


O'BRIEN, THOMAS E., is a native of New York City, having been born there on January 26, 1850. In 1852 he came with his parents to Cali- fornia, and first settled in San Francisco. When five years of age he accompanied them to Vallejo, and in 1871 he went to Sacramento, where he was employed for three years in an auction house, when, in 1874, he returned to Vallejo and opened his present place of business as a furni- ture dealer.


O'GRADY, FRANK, born in Columbia county, New York, in 1848. In the year 1854 he went with his parents, who settled in Rockford, Winne- bago county, Illinois, and followed the movements of the Illinois Central


379


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


railroad till it reached Galena, and from thence to Grant county, Wiscon- sin. In 1861 he removed to California and served his time as carriage- maker, and worked at his trade for five years. Went into partnership in 1870 with his brother, who, having died, he associated himself with R. McDermott, in the Empire Soda Works. Is Captain of the Val- lejo Company of Rifles, National Guard of California.


PEARSON, GUSTAVUS C., was born at Ravenna, Portage County, Ohio, July 17th, 1827, and with his parents went to Chicago, Illinois, arriving early in June, 1832, at the time when an Indian war, known as the Black Hawk War, was at its height. Chicago was an insignificant trading post, guarded by a stockade, called by courtesy Fort Dearborn. There was no harbor or wharf. Vessels that occasionally visited this remote post an- chored some distance from shore, landing passengers and discharging freight with small boats on the sandy beach of the lake, near the outlet of the sluggish stream called Chicago, or Skunk River, by the aborigines. Upon arrival the Pearsons were kindly invited by Colonel Whistler, who was a friend of the family and in command of the fort, to reside inside the stockade. They remained until the arrival of General Scott, with troops, in July of 1832. These troops came by steamer-the first that broke these prairie solitudes with the roar of steam. Cholera made its appearance immediately after, causing an exodus from the place of all who could leave. Mr. Pearson's father took his family to Danville, Illi- nois, one hundred and twenty-five miles south of Chicago, which was the nearest point of safety from Indians, a company of rangers being stationed there.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.