USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 19
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
' More to follow, always more to follow !'
It is consumate folly always to be dawdling over what might have been. The past is gone. Nothing can recall it. The present and the future, un- der God, are ours.
It was a most noble suggestion to bring back to this school the person who at an early day made it so famous. She comes indeed under better auspices than before. She is no longer alone, but with her much esteemed and honored husband (Mr. Lynch) she brings accumulated force and courage to her grand task. It seems to us that there is almost everything to encourage and hope for in this renewed undertaking. Certainly the field is very different from what it was formerly. Schools for young ladies, distinguished for the character of the teachers and their elegant adornings, are numerous. The public schools are aiming at the most thorough training of their pupils. But this Seminary, under the experienced, skillful 'and kindly direction of Mrs. Lynch, need not fear to enter into competition with any or all of them. Her reputation goes before her, and is known of all. The many superior ladies, graduates of this school, who adorn California society, are her stand- ing advertisement.
We tender to the citizens of Benicia our hearty congratulations for the great acquisition to this Young Ladies' Seminary of its eminent former principal, and to Mr. and Mrs. Lynch our best wishes and prayers that they may secure the triumphant success they justly deserve."
175
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
OFFICERS OF GOVERNMENT AND INSTRUCTION FOR 1879-80 ARE
MARY ATKINS LYNCH, Principal ; MARTHA HATHAWAY, Latin, Litera- ture, History and Geography ; FRANCIS C. BAUMAN, Mathematics ; ANNE C. CRAIG, Natural History, Elocution and Drawing ; A. ROGER, French ; JOSEPHINE ABELE, French, German and Piano ; F. CORBAZ, Piano ; SUSIE I. MORGAN, Singing ; HARRIE H. RIDDELL, Painting ; ELIZA E. CROCKER, Matron ; LAURA LAMME WHITE, Assistant Matron and Teacher of Sewing.
THE COLLEGE OF ST. AUGUSTINE-Was founded A. D. 1867, and in- corporated in 1868. It is under the Rectorship of the Rt. Rev. J. H. D. Wingfield, D.D., LL. D., and is governed by a Board of Trustees and a Board of Instructors; is located at Benicia, California. The buildings oc- cupy an elevated site and command an extensive view of the Straits of Carquinez and the beautiful hills beyond, with Mount Diablo on the left and San Pablo Bay on the right. The grounds are sixty acres in extent, a portion of which is tastefully laid out and decorated with flowers, orna- mental trees and shrubberry. Having been erected expressly for Academical purposes, the buildings are strictly adapted to the needs of the students, being commodious and inviting, well ventilated and heated. In the domestic arrangements every care is taken to unite the culture and comforts of a Christian home with the strict discipline of a school. Attention is paid to the personal habits and manners of the Cadets. They sleep in single al- coves, in dormitories, under the charge of Teachers and Military Officers. The Teachers and Cadets meet as one family in a commodious Dining Hall, and attend Divine Service daily in the College Chapel.
It is designed in this Institution to combine with moral and mental education a thorough course of Military instruction, consisting of daily ex- ercise in Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery Tactics, in which every Cadet is required to participate. In all the routine of duties, each Cadet is subject to a system of regulations, designed to make him prompt, systematic, and gentleman-like. This Military Discipline, by its thoroughness and impar- tiality, is eminently fitted to perfect the physical man, and to give habits of quick obedience, order, politeness and manliness.
The spacious parade-ground affords a superior and attractive place for drill and physical recreation, while a large building, erected for the Eulexian Literary and Dramatic Society, and for an Armory, with Gym- nasium attached, furnishes the Cadet with unusual advantages of in-door exercises.
In the work of instruction, the Rector is aided by a Corps of Experienced and Competent Professors and Teachers, who devote their time exclusively to the business of the College.
Each Instructor has been selected because of his peculiar fitness for the Department to which he is assigned, and is held responsible for the faithful
176
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
discharge of his duty to his classes. In order to satisfy himself of the proper advancement of all Cadets, the Rector frequently examines the respective classes.
The College Session consists of Two Terms of Twenty Weeks each.
TRINITY TERM begins on the Thursday after the 28th of July, and closes on the Thursday next before the 23d of December. After a vacation of
. four weeks, the EASTER TERM begins on the second Thursday in January, and closes on the Thursday next after the first Wednesday in June.
Punctual attendance on the first day of the term is imperative. To insure high standing, the Cadet must answer at the roll-call at 7 o'clock on the evening of the opening day. No alcoves are reserved, the first on the ground has the first choice in the Dormitory to which he may be assigned.
Every Cadet, on his arrival, shall immediately report himself to the Rector, the Commandant of the Corps, and the First Sergeant.
No furloughs are granted after entrance. Patrons are urged not to ask permission for Cadets to leave the College for any cause. Under no cir- cumstances can any Cadet be received for less than a term. He is expected to remain at least one Session of two terms, during which period his whole time and energies are required. New Cadets will be admitted at any time ; and, after the first. month will be charged from date of entrance to the end of the term.
No visitors are welcome on the Lord's Day.
There are, besides these two Academies, the School under the Catholic clergy, and the College of St. Mary.
While on the subject of schools, we would here draw attention to what has been done for the education of the yonng of the county in the past thirty years.
If there is one man more than another to whom praise is due for the present educational prosperity of the State, and therefore of Solano county, in which he was especially interested, that man is the late Hon. Paul K. Hubbs. From the first arrival of this accomplished statesman in California, he strove manfully and ardently to systematize its educational interests. He served for a long time as the head of that especial department in the State Legislature, and it is worthy of note that during his tenure of that responsible office, in three years, the number of schools in the State in- creased from twenty to three hundred and sixteen, while the attendance rose from three thousand three hundred and fourteen to twenty-six thousand one hundred and sixty. This was more than twenty years ago; what are the school statistics of the county at present !
On the 30th of June, 1878, the number of first grade schools in Solano county were twenty-six; second grade, thirty-eight ; and third, seventeen. Of these one school-house is built of brick-that at Benicia, formerly the
Geolo A Kinder
177
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
State Capitol, and fifty-two of wood, while four new school-houses have been erected in the last year. These schools are taught by eighty-one teachers, of whom fifty are females and thirty-one males, the former having an average monthly salary of $63.52, and the latter $91.16; eighteen of these preceptors hold life certificates. In the year ending, as per above date, two schools were maintained less than six months, twenty-four for more than six and less than eight, while twenty-one were continued for eight months and over. Within that period fifteen certificates were granted to male, and thirteen to female teachers, and twenty applicants rejected, while there were twenty-three certificates renewed. Five students from Solano were at that date attending the State Normal School, and in regard to the county's division there are forty-eight districts, three of them being fractional, and in one of these the school-house is situated without the limits of the county. The rate of county school-tax levied to October, 1877, was 25 per 100. County assessment roll of taxable property for 1877, $9,022,101; amount received from county taxes, $23,- 157 59; amount received from poll-tax, $3,771 85; cash drawn from un- apportioned County Fund for Board of Examination, $244 55; cash drawn from unapportioned County Fund for postage, stationery, etc., $25. The value of the school lots, houses and furniture to that date was $98,600; cash in hand in various districts on June 30, 1878, $16,809 67 ; received from State Apportionment School Fund, $36,119 89 ; from County Appor- tionment in total, $28,355 55; from City and District Taxes, $4,212 47, and from miscellaneous sources, $945. Teachers' salaries have been paid to the amount of $49,443 92; fuel, rent, etc., $9,151 08; libraries, $1,397 61; apparatus and other necessaries, $138 10, and sites, furniture, etc., $9,675 43. Thus it is seen to what vast proportions the educational in- terests of one county may spring in what is not quite half a life-time.
SECRET SOCIETIES, ASSOCIATIONS, ETC .- All cities, how small they may be, have each their lodge, brotherhood or guild; as is natural, Benicia is not without such representation; indeed she would appear to have been one of the first to whom was extended the right hand of brotherly love.
Benicia Lodge No. 5, F. and A. M. - Has a history of rare mark. On June 5, 1849, certain Master Masons received from the Grand Lodge of Louisiana, permission to congregate into a Traveling Lodge, to be held in California. A Lodge, under this Dispensation, was opened by L. A. Besan- çon, one of the original number, who appointed D. B. Hyam, W. M .; James H. Saunders, S. W .; and L. B. Mizner, J. W., the officers in the original Dis- pensation of that rank, being permanently absent. The first meeting of the Lodge was held and officers appointed, on March 6th, 1850. On application, a Charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of California ; on the 26th of
12
178
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
November, of the same year, the first officers appointed, being D. B. Hyam, W. M .; L. B. Mizner, S. W .; and Alexander Riddell, J. W. The number of members on the roll are now about forty-five; while the officers for the current year are : W. M., George Poor; S. W., Murdoch McArthur ; J. W., Louis Weinmann; Treasurer, John Reuger; Secretary, Charles Spalding ; S. D., William R. Campbell ; J. D., John Mounce ; Marshall, F. P. Wein- mann ; Stewards, F. D. Blake, and Edwin Esty ; and Tyler, T. Sage. The Trustees are : R. Westerby, T. Mckay, and V. Newmark. It meets on the Wednesday of, or preceding, the full moon; and we are happy to say that this old institution flourishes, it having a cash-balance on hand, as well as owning the hall wherein the craft meet, and the lot on which it has been erected.
Benicia Chapter No. 7, R. A. M .- This Chapter received its Charter on May 1, 1855; the members applying, and whose names appear on the parchment, being Charles French, John L. Sanborn, Thomas Farmer, Wil- liam McGuffick, Thomas Brownlee, Henry Hook, B. Robinson, J. C. Stone, R. N. Woode, H. Wheeler, John Tucker, and Sydney Maupin. The first officers who served after the institution of the Chapter, were: John L. Sanborn, High Priest ; Charles French, King; and Thomas Farmer, Scribe. The present office-holders are : High Priest, Timothy Sage; King, Thomas McKay ; Scribe, Murdoch McArthur; Treasurer, John Reuger; Secretary, Charles Spalding; Captain of Host, George Poor; Prin. Sojourner, Wm. R. Campbell; Roy. Arch. Captain, L. B. Mizner; Master, 3rd. Vail, E. H. Von Pfister ; Master of 2nd Vail, Joseph Green Johnson; Master of Ist Vail, Archibald McDonald; Guard, Robert Steuart. Past High Priest, Timothy Sage. The members on the roll at present are twenty-three in number ; while they meet on the Tuesday of, or preceding, the full moon.
Solano Lodge, No. 22, I. O. O. F .- This, another of California's first organized Lodges, was instituted by Right Worshipful Grand Master, S. H. Parker, on April 8, 1854, having, for its Charter members, George H. Rid- dell, Paul Shirley, Charles W. Hayden, George Leviston, and John S. Brown. The first officers who served, were : George Leviston, N. G .; Paul Shirley, V. G .; C. W. Hayden, Secy .; and T. B. Storer, Treas., who, on being installed, at once held a meeting, and conferred degrees upon several applicants. The number on the muster-roll of the Lodge now, is sixty-two ; while the officers in the different chairs, are; N. G., Dr. V. Newmark; V. G., (vacant) ; Sec- retary, Charles Spalding ; Treasurer, S. J. Filer; W. Warden, Willaim Fox; Conductor, H. A. Booth ; O. G., William Kuhland ; I. G., A. P. Whit- man ; R. S. to N. G., D. E. Roberts ; L. S. to N. G., John Binnington ; R. S. to V. G., Daniel Cameron ; L. S. to V. G., Joseph Roskilly ; R. S. S., Fred. Fried ; L. S. S., George Roskilly. Trustees, J. R. Brown, A. P. Whitman,
179
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
William Kuhland. This Lodge owns its hall wherein the brethren meet ; and we are happy to announce that it was never in so properous a condit- ion as it is to-day. Meetings every Monday evening.
INDUSTRIES .- Without doubt the industries of Benicia are centred in its tanneries, of which there are three of extensive proportions in operation, giving employment to nearly three hundred men. The day has gone, when in the workshops of this, then thought to be the rising city of the Pacific coast, the noise and bustle of manufacture was heard. The works of the Mail Company, which used to pay out as much as $60,000 per month in wages alone, have long ago been abandoned ; and Mr. Westerby, the present proprietor, who has lately acquired the property, is now hunting the tule for old chains, for many years hid by mud and rushes. Ditches have ceased to be dug, or streets to be graded; and but for its tanneries, this fair city, which once had such fair prospects, would be a city of the dead indeed.
The Pioneer Tannery .- This establishment, as its name signifies, was the first tannerry started in Benicia. About eleven years ago, J. R. Brown and Thomas Mckay decided to try the experiment of running a tannery at this place. They started in with four tan vats, and only a few hundred dollars in money, but with a whole fortune of pluck. By hard work, superior skill, and close attention to business, they made the enterprise a success from the start, when failure was prophesied from all quarters ; and now the Pioneer tannery is one of the most important in the State.
It has a reputation that extends to Boston. The buildings and yards occupy between four and five acres of ground. They have two currying shops that are 35x45 feet in size; a beam house that is 75 feet long by forty wide; a splendid wharf, with a building on it, 75 feet long and two stories high, that is used as a warehouse, drying-room, and bark-shed. They have other buildings, consisting of numerous bark- sheds, bark-mill, engine house, boarding house, etc. The machinery of the establishment is run by a 15-horse power engine. They have here all the latest improved machinery, consisting of a glassing jack, roller, slicking-off machine, etc. Some idea of the amount of capital required to run this place may be formed from the fact that they have on hand between eight and ten thousand dollars' worth of tan bark alone. Some thirty men find steady employment here. The tannery is producing now six hundred sides per week. The manufactures of this establishment consists principally of sole, harness, buff, shoe and polish leather. Mr. Alexander Chisholm, shortly after the tannery was started, was taken in as a partner, and in July last, he and Mr. Mckay bought out Mr. Brown's interest, and the tannery is now owned and run by Mckay & Chisholm, who were both almost raised tan- ners. They give their personal supervision to the mechanical department, which may in part account for the success of the institution.
180
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The Benicia Tannery .- Some five years after the starting of the Pioneer, Mr. Robert Stewart started a tannery near it. After a year or two's proprietorship, he was succeeded by Messrs. Moore & Cummings. The new firm had hardly got in good working order, when the whole establishment, in a few short hours, was destroyed by fire. This was a severe blow to the young men composing the firm; but Mr. E. Dan- forth, an old resident of Benicia, having confidence in their business qualifications, skill and enterprise, furnished them means to build and conduct the tannery now owned and run by them at the foot of First street. The establishment occupies two acres of land for its buildings, yards and sheds. The currying shop is 40x60 feet, and three stories high, connected with which are drying-rooms, bark-mill, beam-house, etc., nearly 200 feet in length. Near this building is an immense bark shed, which holds between five and six hundred cords of bark-worth $10,000- which is laid in every fall to carry over to the next season. They have also warehouse room for storing leather and material used in the manufacturing. They make eighteen different kinds of leather here. They have between thirty and forty hands, and have between fifteen and twenty thousand dol- lars invested in stock all the time. Their monthly pay-roll for wages amounts to about $2,000. They manufacture about 3,000 sides per month. Mr. Chas. Moore attends to the business department, and Mr. Frank Cum- mings to the mechanical department. The latter gentleman is a manufact- urer of some twenty years' experience in the Eastern States, where he acquired a thorough and practical knowledge of making all the finer grades of leather ; such as glove kid, Russia, pebble goat, shoe, buff and leather for hand satchels or bags. To him for the skill, and to Messrs. Brown & McKay for the enterprise, is the State indebted for adding these to the wealth of California manufactures. The manufacture of the hand-bag leather has led to the establishment of a manufactory of those articles in San Francisco, and Messrs. Moore & Cummings have the orders for the leather. Mr. Cummings, when he arrived in California, went to nearly every tannery and sought to introduce the manufacture of these fancy leathers, and especially buff leather, which was at that time extensively shipped to this State. His efforts were fruitless until he met with Messrs. Brown & McKay, who were clear-headed enough to see the advantage and profit of making that leather in California, and had the pluck to run the risk of the experiment. The result was all that Cummings claimed, and all Brown & Mckay expected. It soon gave to Benicia the reputation of being the hub of the tannery interest of the State. The Benicia tannery has a large amount of its leather made up into boots and shoes in San Francisco, and they intend that as soon as it can be accomplished, to have that manu- facturing done in Benicia. The different varieties of leather manufactured at this tannery were displayed at the Mechanic's Fair in a very attractive
181'
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
manner, and was examined by a large number of experts who pronounced the display in the highest degree creditable to the exhibitors. The manag- ers of the institution awarded them the Grand Medal for the finest display in their line of goods. On the Ist of January next there will be a change in the firm's name, the new firm will be composed of Mr. C. J. Moore, F. Cummings, and Mr. E. P. Danforth, who will own equal interests. Success to them.
Brown's Tannery .- Mr. J. R. Brown some months previous to selling out his interest in the Pioneer Tannery had started a small tannery near the old establishment on his own responsibility and after settling up with his old partners immediately went to work to put his small establishment on an equal footing with his neighbors in facility and capacity. He erected new buildings, put in a steam engine, bought more land, and soon had an establishment that was creditable to Mr. Brown's enterprise and a substantial addition to the manufacturing interests of Benicia. The main building is 100x30 feet in size with three floors. A short distance from it is the bark mill, also a beam house. Mr. Brown gives employment to some twenty hands, and is now manufacturing from 75 to 100 sides per day. Dan. Chisholm, a practical tanner of great experience, is the foreman. The production of this tannery is principally sole, harness and light leather. The machinery of the estab- lishment is run by a fifteen horse-power engine and the steam is furnished by a thirty horse-power boiler. Both were built by J. L. Heald, of Vallejo.
The engine is a beautiful piece of mechanism. About one-half of the pro- duction of the tannery is bought from the city tanneries partly tanned and is finished here. Since the Ist inst. he has increased the size of his beam house, and has a force of carpenters at work increasing the number of his vats. Mr. Brown is not only an enterprising and successful tanner, but is a most valuable citizen. He is at present one of the City Trustees, and ever on hand to give his personal aid and time to assist any project of public character or enterprise of benefit to Benica.
Pacific Cement Company-P. Martin, proprietor and manager, was estab- lished in 1864 and is situated on blocks 35 and 36 in the city of Benicia. The establishment is comprised in seven buildings, viz .: Kiln-house, mill- house and warehouses, with cooper's shops, etc. The machinery used is worked by a steam engine of twenty horse-power, with a capacity of turn- ing out 140 barrels of cement a day. The material used is obtained from within a circuit of six miles ; it is easily procured and of the first order, the quality of the cement, when mixed, being asserted to be equal to that of the best Rosendale. There is a capacity for the employment of fifty men on the works, while every facility for shipment, in regard to wharves and warehouses, are to be found on the premises. The company owns a schooner of its own which plies between the works and San Francisco.
'182
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Benicia Brewery .- The Benicia Brewery stands on lot sixteen, block twenty, and is the adobe building erected by Major Stephen Cooper in 1847, and used first by him and after by Von Pfister as the California Hotel. In the month of August, 1855, the structure was purchased by John Reuger who started a brewery, a portion of the materials and machinery being brought by him from Marysville where he had previously engaged in the business. The structure has, since its abobe days, been considerably im- proved by brick and wooden additions, making now a main building 62x46 feet of two and one-half stories, with necessary cellars. The front portion of the first floor consists of six rooms, used as a saloon and for dwelling purposes, the second floor has five sleeping rooms, and the third is the air drying-room for malt. Besides these there are in other buildings, the malt house, the granary, brewing room and beer cellars. On the floor above the brewing room is a beer kettle of fifteen barrels capacity, a crushing mill for malt, and the beer cooler. Mr. Reuger's establishment is one well worthy a visit, while his business, we are informed, considering the times is fairly prosperous.
HOTELS .- The old original hotels mentioned in these pages have long since made way for others, but with no marked success, it is to be presumed in regard to the number of guests or the returns to their tills; mayhap the railroad may do some good; if it should, time will tell. To-day the hotel proprietors would not seem to be reaping a golden harvest ; in olden days affairs were different in the matter of houses of entertainment. In 1849, when Capt. Von Pfister was proprietor of the California House, he paid his cook $150 a month, two stewards $125 each, a dishwasher $65, a house- keeper and bar-tender $100 each, while with a rental of $500 per mensem, he cleared, for eleven months, a free sum of $1,000 for each month. In 1852, Tom Maguire, the present lessee and manager of Baldwin's Theatre in San Francisco, arrived in Benicia and built a gorgeous " gin mill " near where the Solano Hotel now stands, indeed the place is now the barber's shop. This saloon was at the time the finest in the State ; two large bars were kept constantly at work, while the attractiveness of the establishment was materially enhanced by the presence of a noble band of music-these were the days of reckless squanderings and riotous living.
Solano Hotel-Is the principal hostelry in the city where the traveler will receive every attention to his wants, and be courteously treated by the host, F. P. Weinmann. The building was owned and carried on as a hotel by his father before him, and to-day the establishment receives most of the patronage which comes to Benicia.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.