History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 34

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 34


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


Etcetera :- In 1866 Dr. Nurse erected a fine brick store building. In 1867 he built a brick warehouse, 60x160 feet, with a storage capacity of 2,500 tons. The post-office was established in 1858, and Dr. Nurse ap- pointed postmaster ; he has held the office without interruption ever since, thus making him an incumbent for 21 years. He is probably the veteran


Isaac Hobby


THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIER 3 Abc. Len and T Fol ions


305


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


officeholder in Solano county, if not in California. In 1875 Dr. Nurse con- structed a telegraph line, connecting Denverton with Suisun. In 1876 this line was merged into the Montezuma Telegraph Company, of which Dr. Nurse has always been president. In 1870 the Good Templars erected a building for lodge purposes. The lodge has thrived and sustained a good membership at that place for a great many years. Nurse's Slough is the intended outlet of the drainage canal which it is proposed to open from the head of Cache slough to the head of Nurse's slough. The canal will pass diagonally through Denverton township, but Maine Prairie and Rio Vista townships would be the ones who would reap the benefit of this.


Denverton Lodge, I. O. G. T .:- Was organized November 16, 1866, with twenty-three charter members. The dedication took place in Dr. S. K. Nurse's hall, where they continued to meet until 1870, then in the School- house in Denverton until after the erection in November, 1871, of their new hall. The charter officers were Judge J. B. Carrington, W. C. T,; Mrs. S. K. Nurse, W. V. T .; and Miss E. D. Kerry, Secretary.


20


306


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


MAINE PRAIRIE.


Geography :- Maine Prairie township is bounded on the north by Silvey- ville and Tremont townships, on the east by Yolo county and Rio Vista township, on the south by Rio Vista and Denverton townships, and on the west by Elmira township. It is located in range 2 and 3 east and 5 and 6 north, M. D. M. Linda slough, an offshoot from Cache slough, and quite a stream of water, forms the line of division between it and Rio Vista township on the south. Prospect slough, another offshoot of Cache slough, is the boundary line between it and Rio Vista township on the east; Cache slough, from its intersection with Prospect slough, extends in a northwest- erly direction through the township for a distance of about ten miles ; near the head of Cache slough it branches, and the north branch is known as Bounds slough; Cache slough is navigable for small vessels and light draught steamers.


Topography :- The entire surface of this township is almost a perfect level. The southeastern portion of it is tule land, which, as you pass north- ward or westward, passes off into a vast level plain.


Soil :- We are sorry that we cannot say as much in favor of the soil in this township as in some others in the county. Of course the tule land is the usual rich alluvial soil of that class of land, but the most of the other land is composed of alkali soil and " hard pan," as it is called, old " salt licks," and " buffalo wallows," are numerous in that class of land. There is some adobe, and it is the most productive of all the land except the tule. A number of years ago the most of the land bordering on the tules on the west side of them was entered by settlers in small tracts from 80 acres to 640. In less than five years every settler had found out his mistake and had left for a more productive section, and to-day their deserted houses dot the plains, a sad faced finger-board pointing to blasted hopes and wasted fortunes. Where those hardy pioneers hoped some day to see happy homes and prosperous families, there is nothing but desolation. All these farms have been bought up by persons for sheep ranges.


Climate :- The climate of this township is milder than that in Rio Vista on its south, yet not so warm as that in Tremont on its north. Being so level the winds have a fair sweep across the vast stretch of plain and moor. The barrenness of these plains causes the heat to reflect to a great extent, and rising from the earth it mollifies and tempers the cold damp sea breeze,


307


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


making it one of the most delightful zephyrs. But on the other hand, when the north wind blows, it converts it almost into a veritable sirocco. In common with the entire county, it is very healthful.


Products :- The principal products of the township are wheat and barley. A considerable number of the farmers in the township are engaged in dairying on a limited scale. The yield of grain is seldom very great to the acre. Fruit and vegetables grow but very indifferently in all parts of it, except in the tule land.


Early Settlement :- Maine Prairie Township was mostly settled in the Fall of 1861, and in the years 1862 and 1863, it being included in what was known as the Lucco grant, which was previously in litigation but finally decided in favor of the United States, was immediately opened as publie land for entry, the survey being made in the Summer of 1862. Among the earliest settlers in this vicinity were Mr. J. F. Brown, J. B. Jameson, Sherman Brown, who came in 1861, Albert Bennett, D. B. Brown, James Curk, H. N. Bentley, in 1862. The above-named are nearly all of the first comers that remain until the present time, very many having remained but a few years, others coming to take their places. The carly settlers being mostly thorough-going Ameri- can citizens, they thought the first thing to do was to establish schools and have a place for meeting; so a school district was petitioned for, taking in all vacant territory, it being about ten miles square, known as the Maine Prairie School District; since which time the districts of Binghamton, Morn- ing Light and Enterprise have been carved out. A subscription was at once started, and some six or seven hundred dollars was received, with which two school-houses were enclosed and made to answer the purposes of school-room and church, free to all denominations, one at what is now Bing- hamton, and one at Maine Prairie Landing, George King (now of Dixon), J. B. Jameson and Albert Bennett being the trustees. For several years all efforts in this direction were heartily seconded by the older settlers who were carrying on business at Maine Prairie Landing-Mr. J. C. Merrithew, John N. Utter, Widow Lewis (the hostess of Maine Prairie Hotel), Deck & Co. (Mr. Deck, H. Wilcox, W. D. Vail), J. & Charles S. Cushing, merchants. On the completion of the C. P. Railroad the main business of Maine Prairie was cut off, the thousands of tons of grain and other products being trans- ported by rail to market, instead of being shipped by water at the landing.


Mr. W. D. Vail at present carries on the business of warehousing, lumber- yard, etc.


Captain James A. French has a large and well filled store. F. W. Petrus carries on blacksmithing in all its branches; also owns a farm, a mile or so out of town, which he farms.


The Widow Lewis keeps the only hotel in town.


The public school at present is taught by Miss Lizzie Furgerson.


308


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Formation of a Military Company :- During the Summer of 1863, when the country was in great excitement growing out of our civil war, our patriotic and loyal citizens thought it advisable to organize a military company. Many were more than anxious to enroll themselves as soldiers, subject to the call of the State. The company was speedily formed, under the laws of California, and enrolled as a company of the State militia, receiving the name of "Maine Prairie Rifles," on the 19th day of September, 1863, Leland Stanford then being Governor, and William C. Kibbe Adjutant General. About sixty men were enrolled at the organization, subsequently numbering seventy-two. At the first election of officers Albert Bennett was elected captain (still residing at Maine Prairie); John Low (now of Capaz Valley), first lieutenant, A. S. Hopkins (now of Sacramento) and James Bingham other lieutenants. Binghamton was chosen as the headquarters of the com- pany. It was soon decided by the company to build an armory, resulting in the erection of a brick fireproof building, about 35x50 feet, one story high. The many meetings of the company for drill, target practice, picnics and other things which grew out of the formation of the company, had a most salutary and happy influence in binding the whole community together in that harmony and good feeling for which Binghamton has been so noted. The company continued in a healthy condition until disbanded. The "Maine Prairie Rifles," together with about half of the companies of the State, were disbanded under the administration of Governor Haight; Albert Ben- nett, having been the captain of the company during its existence, being from time to time almost unanimously re-elected. The company sold its armory to Mr. D. L. Munson, who was engaged in merchandising, he fitting it up for a store, adding another story for a public hall. The building was subsequently sold to the school trustees for a school-house-the former school-house having been destroyed by fire-the lower story being fitted for school purposes, the hall being for public use. Mr. F. M. Righter is the the present efficient and popular teacher.


Lodge of Good Templars :- Was organized at Binghamton, June 9, 1863. Mr. H. N. Bentley and wife, Jos. Bingham and wife, O. Bingham, and G. W. Frazer and wife being among the charter members. It became a large and flourishing lodge, numbering, at one time, about one hundred and twenty- five members. It has continued from its organization until the present time without a break-nearly sixteen years. At present its membership is about thirty.


The late H. N. Bentley was one of its most efficient and earnest workers. A book containing the names of those initiated, from the organization until now, is kept, showing at present nearly four hundred names.


·


309


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


The M. E. Church of Binghamton :- Was organized about the year 1865. There had grown to be, during the two previous years, quite a large and flourishing society, under the name of "Union Service," as the christian population was of almost all denominations. A large Sunday School, in the, meantime, had developed.


The M. E. Church, with its accustomed shrewdness and tact, made the first organization as a church. Nearly all fell in with the new order of things, and thus was permanently established the M. E. Church of Bing- hamton, always having a good influence on the community at large. The Sunday School was carried on without being especially under the control of the M. E. Church until November 11, 1866, when a resolution was adopted "to reorganize and place the school under the especial care and supervision of the M. E. Church." Mr. Geo. C. Mack, now of Westminster, Los Angeles county, was chosen Superintendent.


Binghamton and Dixon, at present, constitute the circuit ; T. H. Wood- ward, preacher in charge.


Protestant Methodist Church :- About the year 1865 an organization of the Protestant Methodist Church was made at Maine Prairie Landing. Among its movers were Rev. T. New, Rev. G. B. Triplett, and Revs. Dunton and Graves, and a few others. The enterprise entirely failed in a year or two. ·


Cumberland Presbyterian Church :- About the year 1871 a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was formed at Maine Prairie Landing by Rev. Mr. Bushnell, then of Suisun, now of San Jose; continuing his ministrations until his removal to San Jose, since which time Rev. J. Naff. Crawford has afficiated as pastor.


The town of the township is known by the township name-Maine Prairie. It is a shipping and trading point at the head of navigation on Cache slough. It lies eighteen miles north-east of the county seat. In the year 1859 Capt. Merrithew, in company with J. H. Utter, located on the south bank of the slough, and began a general merchandise, grain, and lumber business. The following year, 1860, H. G. Deck, H. Wilcox, and W. D. Vail formed a co-partnership, known as Deck & Co., and began a general merchandise business on the north side of the slough, opposite Mer- rithew & Utter. In 1860 a hotel was built by George King, and other houses rapidly followed until quite a little village was built up; but the flood of 1862 swept things here as at Rio Vista. There was nothing left to mark the site of the town. The water stood twelve feet deep in the streets, and as deep for miles in every direction, which was lashed into a seething sea by the howling south-east storm winds, sweeping everything from existence, and blotting the town out of existence in its relentless fury.


310


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


As soon as the waters had subsided most of the settlers came back again ; but, while some rebuilt on the old site, many preferred to go farther up the slough where the land was a trifle more elevated. Accordingly Mrs. Rebec- ca Lewis surveyed a town plat on her ranch about one-fourth of a mile above the old site. This new town received the name of Alton, being so named by a pioneer settler in the town, Mr. S. R. Perry, a former resident of Alton, Illinois. The first business conducted in the town was by Cushing Bros. (C. S. and J. H.) They were dealers in general merchandise. Perry & Co. were the next to locate here. The firm consisted of S. R. Perry and Wm. C. Palmer, both now residing in Rio Vista. They carried a full stock of general goods, also dealt in grain and lumber. They built a handsome brick store building, also an extensive warehouse, both of which stand to-day. as mute witnesses to the fact that " The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglee." The buildings were erected before the railroad era in California, and there was no more promising point for a business of that nature in the State. The grain from all the valleys, away to the north and westward, centered there for shipment, and the amount shipped from there yearly was exceeded by no place in the State except Stockton. The year of 1863.was an uncommonly bountiful one, and in the fall the grain came teeming forth from all directions in enormous quantities. One team is reported to have drawn 36,800 pounds of wheat, at one load, from Putah creek. During this year there were 50,000 tons of grain shipped from this point alone. It is said that it was a common occurrence to see 180 wagons in town with grain in a single day. But it might be of interest to note that during the following season only one load of barley was brought to the town. This was a dry year, and a hard one, too, it proved for the farmers of California. Mrs. Lewis built a hotel there during the year, and continues to this day to dispense rest and refreshments to the weary traveler who chances to stray so far away from the line of ordinary travel. The post office was established in 1862, Capt. J. C. Merrithew being appointed postmaster. A branch office of the Western Union Telegraph Company was established there in 1870. Since the days of railroads the town has been on the down grade. The immediate surrounding country would support a town of any size, and the outside supply was shut off, of course, by the railroad. The town looks old; the buildings are unpainted, rickety, and dilapidated. A general air of lonesomeness and desolation seems to pervade the place, and a stranger is glad to get away from the place. It is a good shipping point, and the time may come when it will regain some of its pris- tine glories, but this is doubtful.


311


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


MONTEZUMA.


Geography :- Montezuma township is bounded on the north by Denver- ton township, on the east by Rio Vista township, on the south by the Sac- ramento river and the bay of Suisun, and on the west by Suisun township.


Topography :- By far the major portion of this township consists of large, steep hills, known as the Montezuma hills, from whence the township derives its name. To one traveling over the level plains of the northern townships, these hills seem like small mountains, and it is a great surprise to strangers to learn that they are cultivated. On the southern and western borders there is a belt of swamp and overflowed land, but it bears a small relation to the entire township.


Soil :- The soil of the Montezuma hills is mostly adobe, and it is unex- celled for growing grain, but is of little use for other purposes. The marsh soil is alluvial, but as it is a salt-marsh, it is good for but little except pasturage.


Climate :- The trade winds sweep over this township with great force, bearing with it more or less dampness. It is very healthful throughout, even on the marsh land. The climate cannot be called delightful, although it is in California, but is doubtless preferable for many reasons to warmer sections further north.


Products :- The principal products are grain and hay. Wheat and bar- ley thrive magnificently on these hills, while the growth of wild oats is still luxurious wherever they have a chance. Fruits and vegetables do not thrive. very well; the adobe soil is too stiff and cold for vegetables, while the strong winds destroy the trees.


Industries :- The principal industry of the people is farming, but the fishing for salmon, and canning the same has of late years assumed consid- erable proportions. There are two canneries located at Collinsville, and one on Chipps Island. The three combined have a capacity of about 60,000 one-pound cans a day. They afford employment to about 300 men, and about 250 more are engaged in catching the fish.


Early Settlement :- Among the first houses built in Solano County was one erected in this township. It was an adobe, and still stands, and is occupied by Mr. L. P. Marshall. This house was constructed in 1846, by L. W.


312


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Hastings. He was a Mormon agent, sent into California to seek an eligible site for the location of a colony of Mormons. He chose this point, at the head of Suisun Bay, and near the junction of the two great rivers of the country-Sacramento and San Joaquin-and laid out a town site. Owing to the fact that there was no timber land conveniently located, the Mormons refused to settle there. Bayard Taylor, in his "Eldorado," mentions the "Montezuma House," as it has always been called, as "the city of Monte- zuma, a solitary house, on a sort of headland, projecting into Suisun Bay, and fronting its rival three-house city, New-York-of-the-Pacific." Hastings established a ferry between the site now occupied by Collinsville, and the Contra Costa side of the bay, for the accommodation of travelers passing either way. This was probably the first ferry ever established on the Sac- ramento or San Joaquin rivers. Hastings remained at this place about three years, but when - the gold-excitement broke out he went into the mines. In the winter of 1853, L. P. Marshall and his sons John and C. K., arrived from the States with a band of cattle. In passing down the Sac- ramento river they came upon the adobe house built by Hastings, and were glad to take shelter in it from the storms. The house was in a very dilapidated condition, but was easily repaired, and served well the purpose. of a shelter. In and about the house they found numerous appliances for the manufacture of counterfeit coin, such as crucibles, dies, copper, etc. It is supposed that a band of counterfeiters had found the place deserted, and taken possion of it. It is possible, however, that Hastings had used them in coining money to be used by the Mormons when they arrived. Hastings had a sqatter's claim to the premises, which was bought by John Marshall for his father (the latter being at the time absent from the State) who gave, as a consideration, two mules and six head of cattle, all valued at $1,000 The second house built in the township was a frame-building, erected by F. O. Townsend, in 1853. It was located on what is now known as the Kirby farm. Lucco laid claim to all the land in this and Denverton town- ship as a Spanish grant, but he failed in establishing his claim, and in 1855 the land was declared to be Government land, and open for pre-emption.


COLLINSVILLE :- Collinsville is the only town in the township ; it is a ship- ping port on the Sacramento river, just at the de bouchure of that stream. In 1859, C. J. Collins pre-empted the land where the town now stands. In 1861, he surveyed a town plat and built a wharf and store; previous to this time the steamers, which plied the Sacramento river, had never stopped at this point. The embryotic town was christened for its projector-Col- linsville. Some time during the same year a post office was established here, and Geo. W. Miller was appointed the first Postmaster. In 1867, Mr. Collins sold his property to S. C. Bradshaw, and he changed the name of the place to Newport. The old Californians well remember Newport and the


313


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


enterprise displayed by its proprietor in the disposition of town lots, and, perhaps, a few at the East have cause to remember him also; huge maps of an extensive town plat were placed into the hands of agents, who visited all the principal Eastern cities, and sold and resold lots covering all the swamp land in that section ; excursions were gotten up in San Francisco, and a person paid a certain amount ($10, we think) for a round trip ticket, which included a claim to a town lot in the flourishing (on paper) town of Newport. At the end of about five years, the property again changed hands, E. I. Upham becoming the owner ; he changed the name back to the original, and so it continues to this day. Mr. Upham is an energetic man, and he has made quite a business and shipping point out of the town; two lines of steamers stop there, going each way, daily ; it is connected with the outside world by the Montezumna telegraph.


Schools and Churches :- There is only one school house in the township ; this one is situated near the town of Collinsville ; strange to note, there is not a church in the township. Here is a broad and fertile field for some zealous missionary.


It is also the chief salmon fishing ground in California, and large num- bers are shipped daily to San Francisco. At certain seasons of the year there are vast numbers canned for export to various parts of the world.


The village has two hotels, three saloons, billiards, etc., two stores, post- office, telegraph office, and an agency of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express.


The first salmon canning establishment in California was erected here by A. Booth & Co., who afterwards discontinued and was succeeded by E. Cor- ville & Co. who have carried on the business for two years. Other canneries have since been erected and are now conducted by the Sacramento River Packing Co.


.


314


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


.


VACAVILLE.


Boundaries :- In the last apportionment of Solano county into townships on June 27, 1866, that of Vacaville is ordered as follows: Commencing at the N. E. corner of section 18, township 5 N., R. 1 E .; thence west on sec- tion line to S. W. corner of section 3, township 5 N., R. 1 W .; thence north to the N. E. corner of section 3, township 5 N., R. 1 W .; thence west on the township line to the boundary line of the Armijo rancho at the N. W. cor- ner of said township; thence north and west, following said boundary to the county line at the S. E. corner of Napa county; thence northerly along the boundary line between Napa and Solano counties to Putah creek ; thence down said creek to a point one mile W. of Mount Diablo meridian; thence south on section lines to the S. W. corner of section No. 1, township 6 N., R. 1 W .: thence east two miles; thence south to the place of beginning.


Topography : - The area of Vacaville township is 66,790 acres, and is diversified into mountains and valleys of the finest soil in the county. A spur of hills extends from its boundary, and runs nearly north to the Putah creek, the range having a general average. of three miles in width; the slopes, benches and valleys being renowned for early fruits and vegetables. West of these hills lies Pleasants' valley, which extends to the above men- tioned creek; also famed for its particularly genial climate and growing properties, it sending the first fruits and vegetables into market from any part of the State. The great Vaca valley, formerly known as the Ulattis, lies to the north-east of that of Suisun, is five miles in length, and one and a half broad : it runs between two ranges of hills of considerable altitude, and opens into the Sacramento valley. It, and its two off-shoots, Lagoon and Pleasants' valley, are the admiration of all travelers. This township is also well favored as regards streams; for we find that the Sweeny creek rises in the Vaca hills, six miles north of the town of Vacaville, flows in a north-easterly direction for the distance of eight miles; thence in a south- easterly course to the vicinity of Maine Prairie, and empties into Cache slough. There is also the Ulattis creek, which rises in these hills, about five miles west of the town, and after flowing in an easterly direction finds its way into the west branch of Cache slough; and the Alamo creek, which rises about four miles from Vacaville, as also the Pleasants' valley creek, which flows in a north-easterly direction through the valley of that name, and discharges itself into the Rio de los Putos.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.