History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 51

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 51


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


KORNS, LEVI, was born February 16, 1829, in Pennsylvania ; and at the age of one year, moved with his parents to Holmes Co., Ohio, where he was educated. Emigrated to California, on January 5, and arrived at Sacramento February 27, 1852; thence to Marysville, where he remained one year farming ; from here he went to Oregon ; but after a stay of only nine months returned to this State, and engaged in farming at Yreka, where he also worked in the mines five years; and in the fall of 1858 visited his native State. In September, 1859, he came back to California and located in Vaca valley. Purchased his farm of one hundred and twenty-five acres, known as the " Bunker Hill " ranch, in 1870, on which he now resides. Mr. Korns married, August 21, 1878, Mrs. Hattie Thomp- son, of Fredonia, N. Y., who was born May 25, 1841.


LONG, S. W., was born in Versailles, Kentucky, March 17, 1822; and when still young moved with his parents to Clay county, Missouri. In 1846 he enlisted and took part in the Mexican War, under Captain O. P. Moss, Col. Doniphan, and General Taylor, in Company C, Ist Regiment


462


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Mounted Volunteers. In the following year was discharged ; and return- ing home, he remained there until 1849, when he started across the plains for California, arriving at Sacramento on August 7, 1849, having per- formed the long journey in four months, and meeting with neither let nor hindrance on the way. Mr. Long passed one year at the mines at Long's Bar; and in March, 1850, he came to Vacaville, where he has since re- sided.


MARSHALL, R. C., received his education at the Western Reserve Col- lege, at Hudson, Summit county, Ohio, and, after a term of three years, he taught school for six. In 1850, he emigrated to California and reached El Dorado county, where he engaged in placer and quartz mining. In 1855 he was joined by his family and settled in Grizzly Flat, where he resided until 1858, when he moved to Vacaville on a visit, but during his stay his residence at Grizzly Flat was consumed by fire; he, therefore, did not return thither but remained in the vicinity of Vacaville. Mr. Marshall was born in Weathersfield, Trumbull county, Ohio.


MORTON, HENRY, born in Genesee county, New York, January 4, 1839. Came to California, June, 1864, by sea and the Isthmus of Panama, landing in San Francisco, but soon after proceeded to Vacaville, where he is engaged in farming.


PENA, DEMETRIO, is, without doubt, one of the oldest settlers in the county ; born in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1826, he accompanied his parents to California in 1840 and arrived in Los Angeles, where they re- mained one year, and, in 1841, came to Vacaville. His father, in com- pany with Manuel Vaca, took up ten leagues of land in and around Vaca valley, including the site of the present town of Vacaville. In 1844, the subject of this sketch, in company with his father, moved on his present rancheria in Lagoon valley, comprising 800 acres. He married, in 1849, Miss Inez Berryessa, of Sonoma, by whom he had a family of twelve children, there being now alive : Neavis, David, Juan, Seto, Isabella and Frederica.


PLEASANTS, WILLIAM J., born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, May 31, 1834. His parents went to Missouri in 1835 and followed farming until 1849, when they emigrated to California, arriving first at Bidwell's Bar, in 1849, and, in 1850, they moved to Pleasants' valley, Solano county. He married, December 3, 1857, Miss Nancy Hopper, by whom he has eight children, four sons and four daughters : Sarah Alice, born Nov. 11, 1858; Ansal Putnam, born Feb. 6, 1861; Emma Belle, born Mar. 18, 1863 ; Lydia Tolitha, born Feb. 28, 1865; Wm. James, Jr., born June 30, 1867 ; Laura Frances, born Dec. 16, 1869 ; Thomas Royal, born Aug. 5, 1872; Russel Mason, born Dec. 18, 1874.


463


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


ROGERS, JAMES ROE, was born in Kentucky, November 14, 1826, and, at the age of fourteen, moved with his parents to Missouri, where he remained until Spring of 1850, when he emigrated to California, making the trip across the plains with ox teams. He first settled in Sacramento, where he bought a hotel on the road leading from that city to Bear river, Grass valley and Nevada. This business he followed until early in 1857, when he left for Poor Man's, Nelson and Hopkins' creek, on Feather river, and from there to Middle Yuba, where he worked until the Fall, whence he proceeded to the southern mines. In the Spring of 1853, he paid a visit to the State of Missouri, once more crossing the plains in the Fall of the following year and located in Santa Rosa valley, Sonoma county, en- gaging in stock raising. In the Fall of that year he purchased a farm of five hundred acres in Elmira township, on which he now resides. Mr. Rogers married, first, in Sacramento, September 15, 1853, Miss Mary Ann Williams, she died June 4, 1865 ; and, secondly, January 14, 1866, Miss Laura C. Church, of Dixon, who was born June 15, 1844. His family consists of six children, four by his first and two by his second wife; their names are: Ann Eliza, born October 9, 1854, died January, 1857 ; Commodore Perry, born February 17, 1857 ; Seldon M., born April 26, 1859 ; Zilla N., born September 25, 1861; Celia May, born May 30, 1873; and Bertie Agnes, born January 16, 1876.


SCARLETT, J. E., was born May 8, 1853, in Iowa, and at the age of seven years, moved with his parents to Oregon. In 1862, came to this county with his father, W. W. Scarlett, and settled in Suisun valley. In 1874, returned to Oregon and remained one year, when he returned to this State and county, and entered the Baptist College, at Vacaville, which in- stitution he attended for three years. He then went to Los Angeles, where he engaged in the butchering business, for a short time; thence to Bakersfield, where he engaged in same business until 1879. On April 1st, 1879, he returned to this county and settled in Vacaville, buying out James Rogers, in the butchering business, and entered into partnership with Geo. F. Wooderson, where he still continues the business.


SEAMAN, H., was born in Prussia, October 12, 1826. In 1837, emigrated to United States, and lived in Ohio until 1852, when he emigrated to California, crossing the plains, and landed at Sacramento in July of the above year, where he resided for seven years, running a hotel the major portion of the time. In January, 1859, came to this county, and settled upon the present farm he now owns, comprising 2,200 acres, in Putah canon, about four miles west of Winters. Married Miss Eilen Ryan, August, 1865. She was born in November, 1834, in county Lim- erick, Ireland. Has had one child, John Henry, who was born August 19, 1867, and died March, 1874.


464


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


SMITH, W. W., born May 11, 1832, near Glasgow, Barren county, Ken- tucky, where he received his early education, and at. the age of twenty moved to Abingdon, Illinois, where for five years he worked at the trade of cooper. Next entered the Abingdon College, but after two and a half years was obliged to relinquish his studies on account of sickness. In the spring of 1864 he emigrated to California, first settling in Napa city, June Ist, of that year, where, in the following fall, he purchased the farm known as the Spring Garden Nursery; he also bought the farm now owned by Henry Bassford, but continued to reside on that first named for ten years, with the exception of one year which he passed on that in So- lano county. In the fall of 1873 he acquired the tract of land on which he now lives, which comprises one hundred and sixty-five acres, about one-half of which he has set out in fruit trees. He married, March 12, 1857, Miss Matilda C. Marshall, who was born in Knox county, Mo., by whom he has had three children, two of them, Genevra, and Rosa Ophelia are still living.


STAHL, J., was born March 14, 1844, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, on September 10, 1864 ; entered the army, Company G, 93d Pennsyl- vania Volunteers, was in the battles of Petersburg and Sailors' Run, and remained until the close of the war, 20th June, 1865, when he returned home to his native State. In August of the above year he went to Illi- nois, and worked at his trade (wheelwright) until the fall of 1866, when he returned to Pennsylvania, and remained but a short time. Emigrated to this State, making the trip by water, in 1866, landing in San Francisco on November 6th. He went directly to Amador county, and worked on a farm until spring opened, when he went to San Louis Obispo, at which place he remained but a short time. Came to this county June 16, 1867. In the fall of 1869 he returned to the place of his birth; thence to Illi- nois, where he spent the winter, and in the spring of 1870 went to Texas, remaining a short time; thence to Missouri; thence to Iowa, and in 1871 returned to California, and settled in Vacaville, this county, where he still resides and follows his trade.


THISSELL, G. W., born April 25, 1829, in Morgan county, Ohio, where he was educated, and learned the trade of carriage-making, which he fol- lowed until he left his native State, March, 1849, when he started for California. He stopped in Mashaska county, Iowa, with his brother Ezra, until March, 1850, when he set out on his long trip across the plains with an ox-team, and landed at a town known at that time as Hang- town, and is now known as Placerville, October 16, 1850, where he fol- lowed mining until May, 1851, when he established a hotel, and in July was one of the parties who formed a company and commenced the second tunnel that was ever run in the State, after which he found very rich


465


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


diggings, taking out as high as $125 to the pan. Followed mining, in connection with the hotel, until 6th of January, 1852, when he returned to native State, and from there to Iowa, when he married Miss Asberrene Chambers, May 8, 1851, who was born February 5, 1831, in Bartholomew county, Indiana. In March, 1853, again emigrated to this State, re-cross- ing the plains with ox-teams, and again settled in Hangtown, and fol- lowed same business as in 1850-1 until July, 1855, when he came to this county and settled in Suisun valley, and followed farming. In July, 1857, took up his abode in Pleasants' valley, settling upon the present tract of land upon which he now resides, comprising 165 acres, adapted to fruit-growing. Has 6,000 fruit trees, most of which are apricots ; also 10,000 grape vines, all foreign varieties. Has a family of six children, as follows : Mary E., born June 6, 1852, on the loop fork of the Platte river ; John N., born November 29, 1856 ; George W., born April 25, 1858; W. E., born July 4, 1861; Sarah E., born July 15, 1865; Minnie L., born, May 23, 1870.


TROUTMAN, GEORGE W., born in Hardin county, Kentucky, March, 1836, where he received his education. At the age of eighteen went to Illinois, and until the spring of 1855 followed farming, when he emigrated to California, and settled in Sierra county, there working in the mines until August, 1861 ; he then came to this county and purchased a tract of land, between Vacaville and Elmira, which he worked till the spring of 1866, next moving to Vacaville, and from there on to property bought by him in Gibson Canon, where he resided from 1874 to 1876. He after- wards disposed of this tract and purchased an adjoining piece on the south, containing ninety-three acres, upon which he now has his residence. Married May 15, 1872, Miss Essie Gamble, who was born in Beloit, Rock county, Wis., in December, 1854, and has one child living, Susan Irean, born July 22, 1875.


WOODERSON, G. F., born in Bangor, Maine, October 10, 1849. When fourteen years of age he left school and entered the Provost Marshal's office, under Captain Elijah Low, as clerk, remaining there until the close of the war, when the office was abolished in November, 1865. He then went into the employ of Ricker & Ireland, dealers in and importers of crockery, where he stayed until October, 1868, when falling into ill-health he went to the north of Vermont, sojourning there until July, 1875, when he came to California and settled in Vacaville, going into the employ of Gates & Long, butchers, until October, 1877, when he, in partnership with J. R. Rogers, bought out the firm, and have since carried on the business. Married Miss Susan B. Pease, August 1, 1872, at Coaticooke, Canada, who was born April 25, 1856. Had one infant, who died at the age of three years.


30


466


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


MAINE PRAIRIE.


ELLIOT, GEORGE T., is a native of Genesee county, New York, and born October 12, 1834. His father died when he was but two years old, and at the age of eleven he was sent to reside with James Relya, in the pineries of Allegany county N. Y., who agreed to give him an education. Young Elliot was furnished with an abundance of work, but no school- ing, which did not accord with his inordinate love for knowledge. For three years he was subjected to this treatment, but, during the time, man- aged to master Dayball's Arithmetic, by diligent application during his leisure moments, and after the toils of the day was over, and many times midnight found him at his studies. Returned to his native county-being only fourteen years old-engaged in farming during summers, and at- tending schools during the winter, and in 1854 graduated at the Warsaw Academy, in his native State. After traveling in Upper Canada, and all the Western States, finally settled near Rockford, Winnebago county, Ills., where he was engaged as clerk in a store, having full charge of the business, until he was obliged to seek other employment on account of over work and ill health. After regaining his health he taught school two terms. Moved to Cheshire county, New Hampshire, in 1855, taking charge of a wooden manufacturing establishment for one year. Married here Sarah L. Trowbridge, on March 12, 1856. She was born December 24, 1838, at Swanzey, Cheshire county, New Hampshire, and is a grad- uate of Mount Cæsar Seminary. Mr. Elliot moved near Watertown, Jef- ferson county, Wis., where he was appointed Deputy Sheriff, and in con- nection with the duties of his office, taught school in winters, also studied law. In 1859, went to Columbia county, Wis., where he farmed and taught school. After one year he returned to Cheshire county, N. H., taking charge of a blooded stock farm, remaining until April, 1861, when he emigrated to this State, making the trip by steamer, settling on the Wolfskill grant in this county. In June, 1864, he took a claim in Maine Prairie precinct, six miles from Maine Prairie, where he has since main- tained a continuous residence, and engaged in farming and stock raising. Although he pre-empted only 160 acres, he now owns about 1200 acres of land. He has taken an active interest in the political affairs of the county, making his first speech at a primary election in old Washington Hall, at Silveyville, in 1863. In 1872, during the Greeley campaign, he lectured in several counties through the State, under the direction of the county committee. In 1876, addressed large audiences in the counties


467


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


down the coast for Hayes. Has lectured on temperance, and made speeches all through this county. Has been Deputy Grand W. C. T., and in that capacity lectured in many of the counties of the State, as well as before the district session of the Grand Lodge, in Yolo county, in 1877. Has practiced his law profession in Maine Prairie for the last three years. In every position which, in his eventful life, he has been called to fill, Mr. Elliot has been successful in the highest sense. He has left an untar- nished record and unspotted reputation. As a business man he has been upright, reliable and honorable. In all places, and under all circum- stances, he is loyal to truth, honor and right, justly valuing his own self- respect, and the deserved esteem of his fellow men, as infinitely more valuable than wealth, fame, or position. None excel him in unselfish devotion and unswerving fidelity to the worthy recipients of confidence and friendship.


Hattie Eleanor, born Aug. 12, 1857, George Albert, born June 15, 1860, died January 25, 1876, John F., born February 25, 1863, Chas. R., born Sept. 6, 1866, Joseph D., born May 20, 1870, and died July 10, 1870, and Harold E., born October 18, 1874, are his children.


TUCK, J., born in York county, Maine, January 22, 1823. When about seven years of age he went with his parents to Niagara county, New York, where he lived about seven years. His parents then died and he went to Lawrence county, Michigan, where he made it his home, but was in Ohio a portion of the time until about eighteen years old. He then went to Illinois and farmed and run a threshing machine for five years. From here he went to Dodge county, Wisconsin, and farmed for about four years when he went to Appleton and engaged in grocery and lumber business until the fall of 1851, when he emigrated to California via Panama. In January, 1852, he settled on the Vaca grant, about two miles east of Vacaville, where he lived for about four years, and then settled on his present farm about two and a half miles south-east of Batavia. He married Ella Eugle August 21, 1869. She was born in Indiana, December 13, 1840. Frank E. and Geo. C. are their children.


468


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


RIO VISTA.


BEGUHL, HENRY, was born in the State of Mecklenburg, Germany, where he received his education. At the age of twenty-one he sailed in a Ger- man ship as carpenter, this being his trade, which he followed for three years. He left the ship in New York City and came to California in January, 1852, and stopped in San Francisco about six months, thence proceeding to Redwood City where he worked at his trade until 1855, then purchased a fourth interest of the sloop " Caroline," of which he was in command till 1859, when he sold his interest and left for San Francisco. Married February 6, 1859, Miss Amelia C. Jurgensen who was born in Holstein, Germany, July 26, 1836, and the day after, coming to Solano county, he settled on a quarter section where the Shiloh church now stands, but sold out in the following June and moved upon the ranch, containing 640 acres, where he now resides, four miles west of Rio Vista. When Mr. Beguhl first located there was only one house between him and Sacramento. He has owned real estate in the county since 1855. His living children are Lena A., born November 7, 1859; Mary E., born January 4, 1863; Johannah A., born October 29, 1865 ; Henry J., born August 19, 1867 ; John P., born November 1, 1869; Minnie M., born April 10, 1873 and Bertha C., born August 10, 1875.


BROWN, D. B., was born in Exeter, Penobscot county, Maine, April 22, 1848. When six years old his parents moved to Wilmington, North Carolina, remaining there till the breaking out of the rebellion, when they emigrated to this State, settling at Oroville, Butte county, in the winter of 1862, where the subject of this sketch attended school. After clerking in a hotel at Marysville for some time he went to the mountains of Yuba county, working in a saw mill, afterwards engaged in mining one year or over, after which he went to San Francisco, attending Heald's Business College, graduating in 1867. He then followed clerking for a period of two years, a portion of this time being in the employ of the Merchants' Forwarding Line and Meeker, James & Co. of San Francisco. He then went to Benicia in the employ of J. G. Johnson, J. W. Jones and J. Hoyt ; from here he went to Collinsville in employ of T. P. Hooper, where he remained for two years, and then went to Emmaton and stopped two years ; thence to Antioch, clerking ; then to Vallejo, and from there to Isleton, Sacramento county, and built a saloon which he conducted about one year and then took up his abode in Amador county and clerked in


469


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


store for some time, and then came back to Isleton, and from here to Rio Vista where he rented River View Hotel which he runs at the present time. Married September 18, 1878, Miss Sarah A. Pease, who was born September 26, 1852, in Columbia county, Wisconsin.


BRUNING, JOSEPH, was born in Vichtee, Grand Duchy, Oldenburg, July 18, 1822. When about twelve years old he went to the city of Amster- dam where he was employed as clerk in a general merchandise store for about six years, after which he followed the sea for twelve years. In 1850 he came to this country and landed in San Francisco and immedi- ately went to the mines on Yuba river. He then went to San Francisco and engaged in the hotel business which he followed until 1858, when he came to this county and settled on the Los Ulpinos grant, the present site of Rio Vista, where he has resided ever since, carrying on farming on a large scale. Has also several large and commodious warehouses. Mr. Bruning married Miss Gertrude Blase April 25, 1855. She was born in Osnabrick, Germany, July 25, 1829.


BUTLER, N. C., born in Tennessee, January 16, 1826. When about eighteen months old he moved with his parents to Morgan county, Illinois, where they lived for three years, and then moved to Warren county where they lived until 1839 when they emigrated to Iowa City, Iowa, where his father built the second house ever erected in that city. He died Novem- ber, 1845. N. C. remained there until 1850 when he crossed the plains to California, arriving at Washington on the Yuba river September 26th of the same year, leaving his mother at Iowa City who is still living at the advanced age of 76. The subject of this sketch mined at Washington for about one month and then went to New Town where he mined until March of the next year. He then went to Bidwell's Bar on Feather river where he mined for about two months and then engaged in merchandis- ing at Little Grass Valley for about three months. He then mined on the Alabama Bar on the Yuba river until September. He then mined for about one year at Sucker Flat. He came to this county in fall of 1852 and settled in Suisun valley, two miles west of Suisun, on 80 acres of land, where he farmed for one year. He then went on to the farm commonly know as the Lewis Winn place, situated in the upper end of Suisun valley, where he farmed for one year. He then bought 80 acres adjoining the first farm that he lived on when he first came to the county, where he farmed until 1856. He then bought 33 acres of R. H. Water- man about two miles north of Fairfield where he lived until the fall of 1859, when he moved to Fairfield where he made a business of training horses, and held the office of Constable for four years. In the fall of 1869 he moved upon the farm where he now lives, about eight miles north-west of Rio Vista. He owns and farms 320 acres of land.


470


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Mr. Butler married Miss Paulina Barker in December, 1853. She was born in Estill county, Kentucky, April 18, 1825. Their children are Mary E., deceased, Arthur W., Henry W., Leathie J., Mary E., Lulu B. and John H.


CARTER, ROBERT C., is a native of Reding, England, and born Feb- ruary 3, 1834, emigrating to America with his parents in 1841, the family taking up their residence in Brooklyn, New York, where the sub- ject of this sketch was educated in the public schools of that city, and where he resided until March, 1852, when he came to California, remain- ing in San Francisco until 1859, when he came to old Rio Vista, in com- pany with his father, Robert Carter, who had come to this State. They carried on a fish cannery, it being the first one operated on this coast. This business they followed until their buildings were swept away by the flood of 1862. The subject then moved to Rio Vista and conducted a small cannery business until 1865, when he opened a tin store. In 1875, he originated and carried out the plan for supplying his town with water from the river. Married, February 3, 1865, Miss Susan Davis, of New York City, and born May 13, 1838; have one child living, Robert D., born January 6, 1866.


CURRIE, ALEXANDER, was born October 30, 1844, in New Bruns- wick, where he was educated and followed farming; emigrated to Cali- fornia, settled in Solano county in October, 1868. He purchased at that time 160 acres of fine farming land, located seven miles west from Rio Vista. Although, when he came to this place there were no farms among the " hills," and all among these hills and down the valleys, as far as the eye could reach, wild oats grew in profusion, but now how changed ! All around are well-kept farms, groves and fruit trees. Mr. Currie com- menced life on this farm with one dollar in money, but now he has a beautiful home, showing what perseverance and determination will do. Mr. C.'s father and mother came with him to this country ; his father, John Currie, was born May 17, 1792, and died January 3, 1875. His mother was born March 16, 1806, and died July 12, 1875.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.