History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 33

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 33


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


The above history is taken from the county atlas, as no other could be obtained, notwithstanding repeated efforts to get it-indeed such has been the case with the churches of the Catholic persuasion throughout the county.


The Congregational Church, Suisun :- Preliminary steps were taken at a meeting held at the residence of E. P. Hilborn, on October 30, 1876, J. W.


/


296


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Warren, D. D., presiding, for the purpose of organizing a congregation to worship under the Congregational form of religion, at Suisun, when a com- mittee was selected, who appointed to meet on the 5th of November follow- ing, to take into consideration the formation of a permanent organization of that body. Success would appear to have attended their efforts, for we find the 22d day of December of the same year set apart for the holding of appropriate inaugural services, the following churches being represented by their pastors: First Congregational Church of San Francisco; Plymouth Congregational Church of San Francisco; First Congregational Church, Oakland; Congregational Church, South Vallejo; Congregational Church, Dixon; Congregational Church, Sacramento; with J. H. Warren, D. D., Superintendent of American Home Missions. The sermon was preached by J. E. Dwinelle. The first membership numbered seventeen, who were under the pastorate of the Rev. J. W. Brier, Jr. All the services of this church have been held in an edifice erected by the people of Suisun, on Morgan street. In July, 1878, Mr. Brier resigned, when he was succeeded by the Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, the present incumbent. Not the least interesting record in connection with this church is its admirable Sunday School, the classes of which give frequent exhibitions, each of them being attended with more than ordinary success. The first superintendent of the school was C. W. Childs, the present holder of the position being A. C. Wood. The church membership is about twenty-seven, while the number of school children is sixty


Suisun Lodge, No. 55, F. and A. M .:- This lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge on May 4, 1855, the chartered members being J. H. Griggs, Miles Dean, W. B. Brown, C. Manka, S. Maupin, P. O. Clayton, Charles Maul, Sampson Smith, Jacob Cutter, Philip Palmer, D. D. Reeves, John W. Owen, M. A. Long, A. P. Jackson and G. W. Hays. The lodge was instituted in the Armijo adobe, in Suisun Valley, and held a number of its meetings there during the year 1855. Shortly after, however, a move was made by the brethren to erect a lodge building, and the result was that in the Fall of 1855 a neat wooden structure, two stories in height, was erected at what was then known as Barton's Store, in Suisun Valley. The lower story of the building erected was used as a school-room, and the upper story was used by the craft. In 1856 the town of Suisun began to assume some im- portance, and the brethren, after considerable parleying, decided to move the lodge to Suisun, and just at that time Bro. Hiram Rush began the eree- tion of a large brick store-room in Suisun, and the brethren bargained with him to add a third story to his building for a lodge-room for the Order. This he did, the lodge paying all the expenses of the third story, and on its completion Bro. Rush deeded it, the property, with a right of way of ingress and egress. For about twenty-three years the lodge has occupied its present


297


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


hall, and which is to-day one of the most comfortable and suitable Masonic halls in Solano County. The lodge has prospered from the first, and at the present time numbers about seventy-five members. The present officers are: W. G. Davisson, W. M .; J. Frank, S. W .; William Leithead, J. W .; Co. P. Reeves, Treasurer; George A. Gillespie, Secretary; J. B. Richardson, S. D .; John A. Lockie, J. D .; N. Anderson, Tyler.


Suisun Lodge, No. 78, I. O. O. F .:- Was organized September 13, 1858, by C. W. Hayden, D. D. G. Master District No. 15, with John Doughty, D. M. Stockman, J. M. Duncan, A. E. Charles and J. Frank as charter mem- bers. On the night of its institution W. H. Stephens and W. Farmer be- came members by deposit of card, and T. J. Owen, M. Meehan, M. Dinkel- spiel, Albert Knorp and M. A. Wheaton were admitted by initiation. The first officers of the lodge were as follows: N. G., John Doughty; V. G., D. M. Stockman; R. S., J. M. Duncan; Treas., J. Frank; R. S. N. G., M. Dinkel- spiel; L. S. N. G., Albert Knorp; R. S. V. G., T. J. Owen; L. S. V. G., W. H. Stephens; Warden, M. A. Wheaton; Cond., A. E. Charles; I. G., W. Farmer; O. G., Maurice Meehan.


The first meetings of the lodge were held in the second story of the brick building, over J. Frank & Co.'s store, and continued to be held at that place until about the year 1866, when the lodge made arrangements with the Masonic lodge and moved into their hall. In 1872 the lot and building where the present hall now stands was purchased, at a cost, including the improvements for hall purposes, of about $8,000. The new hall was dedi- cated April 26, 1873, P. G. Master Charles N. Fox presiding. This hall is a beautiful one, well ventilated, and with its present furniture, which was recently purchased at an expense of about $1,000, places it among the most pleasant halls of the Order in the State.


From the time of its organization 228 persons have held membership therein, and its present roll, from last report, numbers 113. The following Past Grands have held the appointment of D. D. G. Master for this district: John Doughty, 1860-61; M. Dinkelspiel, 1864-65; Henry Hubbard, 1866- 67; Valentine Wilson, 1868-69. The lodge at present is nearly out of debt, and its assets amount to about $13,000.


The present officers of the lodge are as follows: C. N. Edwards, N. G .; John R. Morris, V. G .; Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, R. S .; H. Hubbard, P. S .; George W. Greene, Treas .; John Henry, Warden;, J. M. Jones, Cond,; J. W. Kerns, I. G .; W. J. Morris, O. G .; George T. Whitley, R. S. N. G .; Fred. Frank, L. S. N. G .; H. Hansen, R. S. V. G .; H. Manuel, L. S. V. G .; Frank Whitby, R. S. S .; William Trudgeon, L. S. S.


Suisun Lodge, No. 49, A. O. U. W .:- This lodge was organized September 3, 1878, the chartered members being D. M. Miller, Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, John Krause, and ten others. The first officers elected to serve were: J. M.


298


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Gregory, P. M. W .; Alexander Dunn, M. W .; H. Robinson, F. W .; S. G. Palmer, O .; O. R. Coghlan, Recorder; A. P. Spence, Financier; John Henry, Receiver; W. N. Bowen, Guide; John Wagoner, I. W .; C. F. Montgomery, O. W. The objects of this Order are too well known to be stated at length. It embraces, in addition to the mutual-aid principles common to many secret societies, an insurance of $2,000 on the life of each member. Its system of mutual aid and life insurance is almost entirely free from the risks and failures of ordinary life-insurance companies. The Order now numbers over 10,000 members in this State, and is rapidly increasing, as it meets the wants of the great mass of men who wish to make provision for their fami- lies in the safest and most economical way.


Bank of Suisun :-- This bank was established February 7, 1876, with an authorized capital of $100,000, under the management of R. D. Robbins president, and W. Wolf, cashier, the directors being R. D. Robbins, C. F. D. Hastings, E. P. Hilborn, W. H. Turner and J. B. Hoyt. It does an ordi- nary banking business, and corresponds with the Anglo-Californian Bank of San Francisco, and J. and W. Seligman & Co. of New York.


Suisun Fire Department .- The history of the Fire Department of Suisun City may not unfairly be said to have commenced March 24, 1860, when the Solano Herald (A. R. Gunnison, editor,) modestly urged the necessity of an organization, and said that " the first step in the matter of preparation is to build two or more cisterns on the plaza, which may be kept always full of water and ready to meet any emergency." "A large force-pump, with hose attached," was considered sufficient apparatus for a beginning. In the next issue of the paper an anonymous advertisement appeared, calling for " a pre- liminary meeting of firemen, April 4th, at Wheaton's Hall," inviting all to be present who "were interested in the matter of protection against fire." At the time specified, as appears by an item of April 7th, a meeting was held and " a committee was appointed to take the matter into consideration, ascertain the cost of cisterns, force-pumps and other apparatus, and report April 11th at Chrisler's Hall. The next week's paper contained an item headed " Fire Wardens," showing that "at a meeting of those interested in protection from fire, Messrs. D. Ballard, D. E. Stockton, and J. B. Lemon, were elected Trustees, to receive the money subscribed by the citizens, ex- pend the same in building cisterns and superintend the construction thereof." Another item shows that " at a meeting of Union Fire Co. No. 1, held on April 11th, John S. Miller presiding, T. J. McGarvey, J. Frank, and P. A. Wood, were appointed a committee on laws, and they thereupon presented a copy of the Constitution and By-laws of Weber Co. No. 1. of Stockton, which was adopted with slight amendments. The first officers elected were: Wm. J. Morris, Foreman; J. C. Owen, Ist Assistant; T. J. McGarvey, 2d Assistant ; D. Ballard, Secretary ; J. H. Marston, Treasurer.


299


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


After a season of struggles sufficient means was finally procured to pur- chase an engine, and it reached town on the steamer Rambler August 22, 1861, escorted by Ex-Chief F. E. R. Whitney, and half a dozen of the "How- ard" boys of the Fire Department of San Francisco. It was manufactured by Hunneman & Co., of Boston, in 1857, and was the last one made by that firm for that city prior to the introduction of the steam engines now in use there. The reception was enthusiastic, and the " boys " had a good time at the "social hop " in the evening. In June, 1862, the paper referred to the needs of the department, and recalled the facts that since the first advocacy of its formation "the company had constructed' two capacious cisterns, furnishing an ample supply of water, at a cost of $400, and purchased an engine at a cost of $1,600, and still owed for 550 feet of hose." September 12, 1862, John W. Owen and his associates in title donated the lot whereon the present engine-house was built. Since its formation, the company has passed through various grades of adversity and occasional prosperity, but since April 8, 1874, when the present foreman, John T. Hammond, was ap- pointed to its leadership, it has been steadily progressing toward perfection and efficiency. It is now out of debt, owning its house, lot and apparatus, and is fairly officered and manned. Five public and two private cisterns in different parts of the town, averaging a capacity of 10,000 gallons each, help to insure the place against devastation by fire.


Suisun and Fairfield Water Company .- Was organized as a joint stock company, with one thousand shares of one hundred dollars each, on April 24, 1866. The officers, after permanent organization, were: Samuel Breck, President ; M. Dinkelspiel, Vice-President ; F. O. Staples, Treasurer ; George A. Gillespie, Secretary, and W. K. Hoyt, Superintendent. There were five directors, from which the above officers were elected, except Hoyt. The re- maining director being D. M. Stockman. The tanks, pumps, etc., were erected on land bought by the company, formerly owned by John Doughty and W. S. Wells, situated about one-half mile from Fairfield. Work was commenced soon after organization and completed March, 1868. There is a large "main" laid from the tanks through Fairfield to the south side of Suisun, a dis- tance of 1} miles, and is made of cement, the smaller ones, leading to dwel- lings, etc., are iron. The present officers are : E. P. Hilborn, President ; Lewis Pierce, Vice-President ; Harvy Rice, Treasurer ; D. M. Stockman, Sec- retary, and Josiah Wing, Jr., Superintendent. The company have erected this year (1879) two new tanks of 10,000 gallons capacity, and one tank- house.


Suisun City Mills .- At the head of the industries of California stands the growing of wheat; second in the catalogue is the manufacture of flour. The latter branch is steadily increasing, to keep pace with the demand, and the rapid progress being made in the cultivation of wheat.


300


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


First among the industries of this town is the turning of wheat into flour. The flouring mill of Suisun is not only an honor to the city, but a credit to the county. Solano county being one of the banner wheat counties of the State, a milling interest has obtained here that deserves more than a pass- ing notice in this volume.


J. G. Edwards and S. C. Reed commenced the erection of a frame mill on the site where the present brick structure stands, May 1, 1854. It was a two-story building, in which were but two run of stone, and was only used as a custom mill. It was run by steam, and did its first work on October « Ist of that year. In order to give place to a larger and better structure, this mill was torn down and moved away in the spring of 1858, a portion of which is now the Roberts' Hotel.


This firm the same spring commenced the erection of what is known as the Suisun City Mills. It turned its first wheel in October of that year. The main structure is 42x52, three stories high. The foundation story or basement is a solid system of stone masonry, two feet thick. The two stories above the basement are brick, with pitch and gravel roof over all. On the first floor is where the wheat is received. There are elevator spouts, screen spouts, and a garner in which the wheat is dampened for grinding, also the line of shafting, which drives the stones above, are located on this floor On the second floor are four run of stone, supported by wooden hurst frames, one wheat garner and one revolving wheat screen. In the third story is where the wheat cleaning is done. There are two smutters, one National cut separator and one suction fan. There are also three hoppers, two for wheat and one for middlings, which feed the stones below. On this floor, but separated from the cleaning room, is the bolting chest and five reels.


To the east and rear of the main building is the engine room, 30x60 feet, built of brick, in which is a forty-horse steam engine, the main shaft of which rests on a solid stone foundation, thereupon hanging a balance wheel weighing one ton.


To the south of the engine room is located the boiler room, in which are two (36) tubular boilers, sixteen feet long.


S. C. Reed sold his interest in this mill to Jerry Marston, in October, 1859, and the enterprise was conducted under the firm name of Edwards & Mars- ton until July, 1860, when Edwards sold to Stockman Bros. D. E. Stock- man sold to Marston in 1866, and D. M. Stockman on August 3, 1867. This firm erected during the year 1866 a warehouse, one and two stories high, of brick, running east and north of the main building. It is 62x110 feet, with a capacity of one thousand tons. The office occupies a portion of this room, and there is also a car track running the entire length of the building to the slough dock, which affords the shipping facilities for the entire building.


Jerry Marston sold to E. P. Hilborn & Co., July, 1872, who are at present conducts the business, with Richard P. Le Gro as manager.


301


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Suisun Glee Club .- This club was temporarily organized at the residence of D. M. Stockman, on June 14, 1878, and took permanent shape by the adoption of a constitution on the 12th of July following, with D. M. Stock- man, President ; T. G. Whitley, Treasurer and Secretary, and J. K. Bateman, Director. The present officers are S. B. Saunders, President ; T. G. Whit- ney, Secretary and Treasurer, and J. K. Bateman, Director. The member- ship is thirty-seven. This club has already rendered the Cantata of Queen Esther, on four occasions, with marked success, and in a manner which would put into the shade towns and societies of greater pretensions ; indeed, so much musical talent is seldom found in so small a compass. Let the Suisun Glee Club proceed !!!


NEWS PAPERS :- The first paper published in Suisun Township was the Solano County Herald. The first number of this paper was issued on the 2d day of October, 1858. This paper had been published at Benicia, having been established there in November, 1855, by Messrs. George and Cellers. At the time of its removal to Suisun it was under the management of Wm. J. Hooton & Co., the late Judge Wm. Wells being the other member of the firm. It was printed in a building on the south side of the plaza. Decem- ber 17, 1859, J. G. Lawton, Jr., assumed control of the paper as editor and publisher, although he had been the editor previously. On the 10th of May, 1860, the management was again changed, Powers & Gunnison assuming con- trol, with Gunnison in the editorial chair. Later in that year E. E. Hatha- way became connected with the business, and the firm name was changed to O. B. Powers & Co. In 1862, H. Hubbard & Co. began the publication of the Solano Press, and continued the publication until September, 1866, when they disposed of their interest to G. A. Gillespie and Woodford Owens. In the fall of 1869 the Press and Herald were consolidated, and a new name given to the paper. It was called the Solano Republican. October 13th, 1875, O. B. Powers, who was the sole proprietor, disposed of the paper to Messrs. C. F. Montgomery and W. N. Bowen. Previous to this the paper had always been a six-column folio. At this time the subscription-list did not exceed one hundred, and the advertising patronage was merely nominal. The size of the paper was increased to a seven-column folio the second issue under the new management. The business prospects of the paper began at at once to get brighter. The subscription-list was increased during the first year to nearly one thousand, and the advertising patronage increased in proportion. In the spring of 1877 a quarter-medium Nonpariel job press was purchased, and a full assortment of job type. In October, 1877, the paper was again enlarged, to a six-column quarto, (8 pages) and in June, 1878, it was again enlarged, to a seven-column quarto, which is its present size and form. Feb. 14th, 1879, the management again changed hands, W. N Bowen disposing of his interest to L. L. Palmer, and the business is now


302


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


conducted under the firm name of Montgomery & Palmer, with C. F. Mont- gomery as editor and L. L. Palmer as associate editor. The Republican is a fearless defender and advocate of the rights of the people, and is a wel- come weekly visitor to nearly every house in the upper portion of Solano county.


The Solano County Democrat, with Thompson & Sinthicun, publishers, was established at Suisun, April 30, 1868. In 1870 it was moved to Vallejo.


The County Hospital .- This building is situated about three miles to the east of Fairfield, the county seat, and covers an area of 30x64 feet. It is a building two stories high, on the first floor there being the office of the physician and drug store, the dining room, general sitting room, and six small wards, and bath houses as well. On the upper floor there are four large wards, while in the rear there is an addition for cook, stewards, and store rooms. It is throughout fitted with every modern improvement, its system of drainage being connected with a creek at the distance of a quarter of a mile. The physicians are Doctors A. T. Spence and W. G. Downing, both gentlemen well practiced in their profession,and much liked in the district.


The Embarcadero :- Time was when the scene was busy on this landing place. Before the railroad came to fly off with the large profits of grain from the upper part of the country, wagons by strings were wont to arrive to start their precious sacks of cereals, boxes of fruit, and hampers of vege- tables to market, on board of schooners, sloops, and steamboats which then plyed to this point. A warehouse of considerable proportions was con- structed for the storage of freight, and all " went merry as a marriage bell." To-day a few regular traders arrive and depart at stated intervals ; while a steamer makes the journey to San Francisco thrice a week. On the wharf are deposited tons of cobble stones, procured in the mountains near Rock- ville, and heaps of marble from Swan's quarries, awaiting shipment to San Francisco, there to be utilized, but, there is not much sign of life, for portions of the warehouse have fallen in and much desolation abounds.


303


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


DENVERTON.


Geography : - Denverton township is bounded on the north by Maine Prairie township, on the east by Rio Vista Township, on the south by Montezuma township, and on the west by Suisun township. It is rect- angular in shape, and is a little longer north and south than east and west. Nurse's slough extends through a portion of the south-west portion. It Is navigable for small craft as far up as Denverton. The western boundary line is the Mt. Diablo meridian line. Hence it lies in range 1 east, and it is in range 4 north, Mount Diablo Meridian.


Topography :- The western and northern portions of the township are comparatively level, but the southern and eastern portions, including a large part of the central portion, is quite hilly. This is especially so of the south- eastern portion, which extends into the heart of the Montezuma hills.


Soil :- The soil in this township is as varied as the State itself. The southwest portion is a salt-marsh, on which the tule thrives. It is not con- sidered productive. Further northward, the soil is alluvial and adobe in sections, and white alkali and hardpan in other sections. The belt of alkali and hardpan extends along the northern portions of it. The eastern and south-eastern portions are almost exclusively adobe, and is very rich and productive. Of course nothing but a short, wild grass ever grows on the alkali land. It is used principally for grazing purposes. There is a gravel belt of very peculiar formation extending through the western portion of the township. It seems to be the bed of some old-time and long- since-forgotten stream, although at present it is not in the least depressed as compared with the adjacent land. The boundary lines of this gravel belt are clearly definable, to a single rod. The gravel ranges in size from a pea to a boulder a foot in diameter. This is an interesting topic for the geologists to discuss.


Climate :- The climate of this township is very similar to Rio Vista. The cold, damp west winds sweep the entire surface of the country, making the weather delightfully cool in mid-summer, while only a few miles to the northward they are suffering with heat.


Products :- Wheat and barley are the only grains which thrive to any great extent in this township. Little or no fruit or vegetables are grown except in occasionally favored spots. The yield of the former is fair on


304


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


most of the arable land in the township, but they are grown with unusual success in the Montezuma hill section.


Schools :- The school interests are represented by two districts, viz : Den- verton and Montezuma. Only one teacher is employed in each of these schools, and the attendance is not very large.


Churches :- The Cumberland Presbyterians have a church building and organization near the location of the Montezuma District School-house. This church organization is the outgrowth of a Sunday school, started in November, 1864, with Mr. Parish as Superintendent. The building was erected in 1870. In 1875 it was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt in 1876. The organizing members were : Mrs. E. D. Carey, Wm. Wight, Mrs. T. R. Stewart, Daniel Barnett, Nancy Barnett, Jas. L. Barnett, Sam'l Barnett. The pastors have been, Rev. D. E. Bushnell, who served till Jan. 1, 1874, and Rev. J. M. Crawford, who has served the church ever since. It is known as the Shiloh church. This is the only church building or organiza- tion in the township.


Towns :- Denverton is the only town in this township. It is located 10 miles east of Fairfield, at the head of navigation, on Nurse's slough, and was formerly called Nurse's Landing. Its name was changed to Denverton in 1858, at which time the post-office was established there. It was so named in honor of J. W. Denver, at that time member of Congress from this district. It contains a few houses and perhaps 50 inhabitants. It is sup- plied with city water-a private enterprize of Dr. Nurse's.


Early Settlement :- The first house erected in the township was built by Dr. S. K. Nurse in 1853. The entire country was then one great stretch of wild oats, reaching to a man's shoulder while on horseback, through which herds of elks, antelope and deer roamed at will. This building was soon followed by a residence erected by D. K. Barry, located about one-half mile to the eastward of Nurse's house. The old house was standing in 1878, on its original site. In 1854 Dr. Nurse built a store-house. He also con- structed a wharf, with 100 feet frontage. It has since been extended to 300 feet. Mr. Stewart and his son Samuel, the Arnolds, Daniels, Cooks, and others, followed in rapid succession, until the land was all taken.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.