History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 27

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 27


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


The year 1873 was made memorable in the history of the Vallejo schools by the erection of the new and and beautiful school house now standing on


243


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


the corner of Carolina and Sonoma streets. This improvement was made for additional accommodation for the Grammar and Primary Departments. This work was done under a contract with Mr. Charles Murphy, a citizen of Vallejo, for the sum of $6,500.


It was also during this year that the Board adopted a Diploma to be pre- sented to the graduates from the Vallejo High School. The first graduates receiving this mark of distinction were Misses Maggie Tobin, Mary Mc- Knight, Hattie Dempsey and Mary Long.


On Monday, March 16, 1874, the first election was held under the provis- ions of the amended School Law, resulting in the choice of the following named gentlemen : J. G. Lawton, Superintendent; I. S. Halsey, Secretary ; L. Doe, J. Q. Adams and A. J. MePike, Directors ; G. T. Plaisted, Assessor and Collector; and on the 6th day of April they qualified took their seats, and immediately entered upon the duty assigned them.


Through the kindness and courtesy of the City Trustees, early in the year 1874 the Board of Education was furnished with a very pleasant room in the City Hall to hold their meetings and transact their business.


June 5, 1874, Mr. G. W. Simonton having previously obtained permission of the Board to give an entertainment for the purpose of raising money with which to purchase a piano for the Grammar Department, of which he was Principal, reported $190 as the proceeds of the undertaking. A short time afterward the instrument now in use was secured.


Graduating Class of 1874 - Misses : Mary S. Halsey, Mary Wynn, Etta Foye, Mary Hobbs, Margaret Wakely, Josephine Sundquest, and Margaret Dunn.


Teachers elected in June, 1874 - C. B. Towle, W. F. Roe, Jennie Diekin- son, Dora Harris, Mary Congdon, G. W. Simonton, J. T. Royal, Wm. Crow- hurst, J. S. Congdon, N. Smith, Mrs. C. A. Kidder, Julia Benjamin, Miss C. H. Pinkham, Belle Murphy, Etta Thompson, Mary Tobin, Miss P. A. Frisbie, Mary Foye, Jennie Klink, and D. P. Whitney, janitor.


The Census Marshal for 1874. J. H. Green, Esq., reports : Whole number white children in the township, between 5 and 17 - boys, 800; Girls, 762. Total, 1,562. Colored children-boys, 13; girls, 3. Total, 16. Mongolian under 17 -- 20. Blind-1. Total, between 5 and 17-1,599. Number of children between 5 and 17, who have attended Public school during the year: White-998; Negro, 14. Total-1,012. Number who have attended private schools-263. Number who have not attended any school : White -- 305; Negro, 2; Indian, 1. Total-308.


Number of children native born, and having native parents-865. Nun- ber native born children, having one native born parent-301. Number of children native born, having both parents foreign - 1,292. Number of children foreign born-15.


At a meeting of the Board, held July 3, 1874, a resolution was intro-


244


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


duced to abolish the colored school, and admit the pupils thereof to the graded schools. The question was fully discussed by members of the Board, the citizens present, with one exception, favoring the proposed change. The resolution was adopted; and Vallejo took the lead in the important question by being the first city to admit colored children to the graded schools, and thus conferring upon them equal privileges with the white children. The whole number of children enrolled July, 1874, were 1,011.


On December 30, 1874, Prof. G. W. Simonton, and Miss Belle Murphy, resigned. April 2, 1875, School Director, L. Doe, having removed to Oak- land, tendered his resignation, which was accepted, and David Rutherford was appointed to fill the vacancy. It should here be stated, to the credit of Mr. Doe, that, while acting as a Director, he ever evinced a strong desire to advance the best interests of the Vallejo School Department; always punctual in his attendance at the meetings of the Board, and taking a lively interest in all questions presented. On the 2d of June, 1875, the Board, being in session, much interest was manifested on a proposition to abolish the department of languages. Mr. Halsey moved the adoption of the fol- lowing: Whereas, "It having come to the knowledge of this Board that an effort will be made to induce its members to abolish the department of lan- guages, now in the High School course; and, Whereas, Under the present arrangement, the children of the poorest of our citizens stand on an equality with those more fortunate, securing to them the same opportunity to secure a High School diploma, entitling them to the privilege of entering the State University ; and Whereas, The proposed change would result in a serious drawback to the educational interest of Vallejo, and be looked upon as a step backward in the hitherto onward progress of our city. Therefore,


Resolved, That we deem it expedient, and for the best interests of Vallejo and her citizens, to continue the Department of Languages in the High School course."


The question was discussed by members of the Board, and a number of citizens, including Messrs. J. E. Abbott, G. W. Simonton, Hon. M. J. Wright, C. B. Towle, J. P. Garlick, and County Superintendent C. W. Childs. Many interesting and instructive ideas were presented, all tending to show the deep interest the people of Vallejo feel in educational matters. The resolu- tion was finally adopted, and the department of languages thus continued.


On the 28th of May, 1875, Masters Lewis G. Harrier and Samuel Irving, received their diplomas as graduates of the Vallejo High School. It is worthy of note to state in this connection, that both of these young men were at once admitted to the State University.


The teachers for 1875 and "76, were : C. B. Towle, Principal of the High School ; W. F. Roe, Professor of Languages in the High School ; J. P. Gar- lick, Principal of the Grammar Department; Viola R. Kimball, Second Grammar Department ; Sophia A. P. Kidder, Second Grammar Department ;


245


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Anna R. Congdon, Third Grade Department; Dora B. Harris, Third Grade Department; Beverley Cox, Fourth Grade Grammar Department; Jennie B. Chase, Fourth Grade Grammar Department ; Wm. Crowhurst, Principal of the Primary Department; Mary Wynne, First Grade Primary Department ; Jennie Klink, Second Grade Primary Department ; Etta L. Thompson, Third Grade Primary Department; Lucy Gilman, Third Grade Primary Depart- ment ; Charlotte M. Barry, Fourth Grade Primary Department; Mary G. Tobin, Fourth Grade Primary Department ; J. S. Congdon, Principal of the South Vallejo School ; Mary A. Foye, Assistant of the South Vallejo School ; Nehemiah Smith, Principal of the Orphans' Home School; Fannic E. Smith, Assistant of the Orphans' Home School.


School Census Marshal's Report-1875. Number of children from 5 to 17 : boys, white, 826; girls, white, 799; total, 1,625. Number of colored children from 5 to 17: boys, 4; girls, 7; total, 11. Number of children under 5, 788. Colored, 79. Children in Public Schools, 963. Colored, 8. Children in Private Schools, 331. Children not attending school, 351.


This Board of Education was elected in March, 1876: J. E. Abbott, Super- intendent, ex-officio President. School Directors-John Farnham, C. H. Hubbs, D. Rutherford, A. J. McPike; I. S. Halsey, Secretary.


Committees-On Grounds, Buildings, Repairs, Fuel and Warming School Houses-McPike, Rutherford, Abbott. On Janitors, School Furniture, School Library and Apparatus-Hubbs, Farnham, Abbott. On Teachers, Rules and Regulations, and School Discipline-Rutherford, Hubbs, Abbott. On Finance and Accounts-Farnham, McPike, Abbott.


Board of Examination-J. E. Abbott, City Superintendent, ex-officio President ; C. W. 'Childs, County Superintendent ex-officio ; C. B. Towle, Secretary ; J. P. Garlick, W. Crowhurst, J. S. Congdon.


Teachers-C. B. Towle, Principal of the High School; W. F. Roe, Pro- fessor of Languages in the High School; J. P. Garlick, Principal of the Grammar Department ; Sophia A. P. Kidder, Second Grammar Department ; Viola R. Kimball, Third Grade Department; Dora B. Harris, Third Grade Department ; Hettie Dempsey, Fourth Grade Grammar Department ; Mag- gie Dunn, Fourth Grade Grammar Department; William Crowhurst, Prin- cipal of the Primary Department; Mary Wynne, First Grade Primary De- partment ; Jennie Klink, Second Grade Primary Department ; Ettie L. Thompson, Third Grade Primary Department; Lucy Gilman, Third Grade Primary Department; Charlotte M. Barry, Fourth Grade Primary Depart- ment ; E. P. Fouche, Fourth Grade Primary Department ; J. S. Congdon, Principal of the South Vallejo School; Mary Tobin, Assistant of the South Vallejo School ; Nehemiah Smith, Principal of the Orphans' Home School.


In 1876, the Graduates were Misses: Ida Hobbs, Susan Cheesman, Carrie


1


246


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Frasier, Gemi Martin, Carrie Barbour, Annie Crocker, Hattie Klink, with Masters Edward Lawton, Louis Long and Charles Batchellor.


On September 29, 1876, Mr. Abbott resigned the position of Superin- tendent, owing to pressing business in connection with the Vallejo Bank, and the Rev. N. B. Klink was elected to fill the vacancy.


Graduating Class, 1877-Edward Frisbie, Jr., Thomas Robinson, Thomas Dempsey, John Frisbie, Mary Rowe.


Teachers' Election, May, 1877-High School-C. B. Towle, W. F. Roe. Grammar School-J. P. Garlick, Sarah Farrington, Florence Goodspeed, Jennie S. Klink, Mary L. McKennan, Hettie Dempsey, Maggie Dunn. Primary-Mrs. Sophia Kidder, Mary Wynne, Mary Hobbs, Etta Thompson, Lucy Gilman, C. M. Barry, E. C. Fouche, J. S. Congdon, Alice Blank, A. T. Stiles. Janitors-D. T. Whitney and H. D. Lazell


School Census Report of J. S. Congdon, Marshal, for 1877, was : Boys, from 5 to 17, 745; girls, 733; colored, boys, 1, girls, 4; Indians, boys, 0, girls, 1. Total, 1,484. Number under 5 years of age-Boys and girls, white, 795 ; negro, 2. Native born and parents native, 706; native born and one parent foreign, 384; native born and both parents foreign, 1,149; foreign born, 53. Early in 1878 the Board purchased three additional lots, adjoining the school property, and had the same planted in evergreen trees, and vines. The grounds are intended as play-grounds for the girls and will afford recreation very much needed.


On the 25th day of March, 1878, the indebtedness on the Vallejo school property amounting to $5,000 was paid, leaving the property entirely un- encumbered.


On March 18, 1878, an election for School officers was had, resulting in the choice of J. E. Abbott, Superintendent ; John Farnham, D. Rutherford, D. W. Harrier C. H. Hubbs, Directors; T. W. Chamberlain, Assessor and Collector.


On April 1st the Board was organized, having duly qualified, and I. S. Halsey was elected Secretary.


Graduating Class-1878-Maggie Kavanaugh, Lottie Kitto, John Perry- man, Katie Brew, Maggie Murphy, Emma Frey, George Greenwood, Minnie Engelbright, John M. Williamson, Abbie Dyar, Julia Stotter, Wells Whit- ney, Eunice Hobbs, Lutie Dixon, Charles H. Dexter, Lizzie Cox, Florence Devlin, George Klink, Mary Sundquiest.


The teachers for 1878 were : High School, C. B. Towle, W. F. Roe ; Gram- mar, H. W. Philbrook, Sarah J. Farrington, Annie Klink, Josephine Sund- quiest, Hettie Dempsey, Maggie Tobin ; Primary, Mrs. M. P. Morris, Mary E. Brown, Mary Hobbs, Mary Wynn, Lucy Gilman, C. M. Barry, Mrs. E. P. Veeder ; South Vallejo, J. S. Congdon, Jennie S. Klink.


The Census Marshal's Report for 1878, was : White children from five to seventeen years, 1,481; negro, 7 ; mongolians, 24, showing a total of 1,512.


247


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Add to these 753 children under five years-makes a grand total of 2,265.


The amount of money required to meet the expenses of the Vallejo School department may be gathered from the following exhibit, taken from the Annual Report of the Secretary, for the year 1878: Receipts-Balance on hand at beginning of year $5,122 84. Total received from State and county, $18,681 20. Total, $23,804 04. Expenditure-Current expenses, $17,132 80. Lots purchased, $522 50. Paid off mortgage, $5,000 00. Sundries, $313 08. Balance in treasury, $835 66. Total,$23,804 04.


At this term, 1878-79, there are employed twenty teachers, receiving salaries ranging from $50 to $150 per month. The monthly pay-roll of teachers and school officers aggregates $1,625 83. The session lasts ten months of the year, while the revenue is derived from the State and County, and Special District Taxes, the amount required annually being about $20,000. The value of the school property, including a library of several hundred volumes, many of them standard works of reference, is $50,000, while there is yearly expended, for library books, under the provisions of the State law, a sum of $150. The graduates of the High School in Class 1879 were : James McCauley, Edward E. Kavanagh, A. Lulu Frisbie, Netta Meek, Kate S. Klink, Annie L. Wynne, Helen May Towle, and Louise J. Grinnage.


MARE ISLAND.


Much curiosity has been excited by the peculiarity of name given to this island; the origin of its appellation is related as follows: In former days there was only one ferry-boat on the waters near Vallejo and Benicia, a crude one at that, being made principally of oil-barrels obtained from whal- ing ships, which were secured together by beams and planking; the craft was divided into compartments for horses and cattle, the transportation of . which was its principal use. On one occasion, while the boat was making its way from Martinez, on the opposite shore of the Carquinez Straits, to Benicia, a sudden squall overtook her, causing her to pitch dreadfully. The animals, then on board, being for the most part horses, became alarmed and commenced to kick, causing the weak partitions to give way. The vessel was capsized and the living cargo thrown into the bay. Some reached the shore, while others were drowned. Of the former was an old white mare owned and much prized, by General Vallejo; its capture was effected on the island a few days after the disaster, when the General dubbed the place " Isla de la Yegua," or Mare Island.


The island forms a portion of the eastern side of San Pablo bay, its south- erly end making the intersection of the Straits of Carquinez and Mare Island Straits, the former, which is the outlet of the two largest rivers of


248


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


California, the Sacramento and San Joaquin, and the latter, constitutes the improved front of the Navy Yard, as well as that of the city of Vallejo, on the opposite shore, and also the outlet of the Napa creek, which drains the fertile valley above. The distance from San Francisco is twenty-six miles. The island is 21 miles in length by 0100 in width, and is of an oblong form, having a direction from northwest to southeast, while its area is 876 acres. The upland is diversified into hills and level sloping plains, the shore of the bay presenting vertical bluffs lined with a rocky back until nearing the southern extremity, where it terminates in high, rolling hills, with steep, inaccessible slopes to the water. The highest point on the island is at its southern end, where it is 280 feet in altitude. The soil is, away from the marsh or tule lands, of which there are 135 acres, adobe loam and clay over- lying stratified sandstone and shale ; some good building stone has been found in small quantities, while brick clay of a good quality is to be pro- cured. Small quantities of hydraulic limestone have also been discovered, as has also a few springs of inferior water.


At the northern end of the island there are three large Indian mounds or graves covered over with burnt mussel-shells, upon which nothing will grow. Sometime ago one of these was opened and a large number of skulls, bones, bows, arrow-heads, etc., were found. Each of these mounds has a legend attached to it. They were probably made during the small-pox epi- demic which committed such havoc among the native Indians in the year 1839.


The position of Mare Island is admirably adapted for a Naval station. The straits separating it from the mainland is a quarter of a mile wide, and has a depth of five fathoms. The mean rise and fall of the tide is 4,ยง feet ; while, when the rivers are swollen, the water loses all brackishness. The channel is remarkably direct and easy of navigation, the only defect being a limited shoal called "Commission Rock," which lies at a point nearly opposite the island and about mid-way in the stream. There is deep water, however, on either side of the rock, the deepest being on the side next to the island ; and good anchorage is to be found anywhere, the bottom being of a soft and sticky nature.


The first historical fact in connection with Mare Island, with which it has been possible to become cognizant, is that in the year 1850 it was granted to one Castro by Governor Alvarado, and purchased from him by John B. Frisbie and Bezer Simmons, for the sum of $7,000, who, in turn in 1851, sold it to W. H. Aspinwall and G. W. P. Bissell, in consideration of the sum of $17,500.


By an Act of Congress, dated 30 June, 1851, appropriations were made, and subsequently a contract entered into between Messrs. Dakin and Moody, and Messrs. Gilbert and Secor, on the one part, and the United States Government on the other, for the construction of a floating sectional


249


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


dock on some point on the Pacific coast ; and after inspecting positions of likelihood at Benicia and Racoon Straits, Mare Island was selected as the spot offering the greatest facilities for the purpose desired. The dock, of which the measurements will be hereafter given, was first constructed in New York, and then taken to pieces and shipped in four vessels named the " Empire," " California Packet," "Queen of the East," and "Defiance," and despatched round Cape Horn, all of which arrived at Mare Island in the fall of 1852. At this time the entire sphere of the island was overgrown with wild oats and overrun with wild cattle, horses, mules, and one ass, who stood in loco parentis to the latter ; a solitary squatter occupied a dingy hut among the rank verdure, his principal occupation being the tending of stock ; while on the opposite shore, where now the city of Vallejo rears its head, there were but two or three occupied houses. The shores were not as they are to-day. Silting had not then commenced ; the mud from the mines had not yet been despatched into the bay by way of the Sacramento river, and it was easy for ships to make fast to the shore. Discharging cargo for the doek was first attempted by means of rafts from mid-stream ; a storm coming on, however, caused the vessels to drag their anchors, and thus dis- covered the depth of water in shore, and helped to solve the riddle of land- ing dock stores.


The first party to arrive in charge of stores and machinery for the see- tional dock was that under D. Peekham, who came in the month of Septem- ber, 1852; twenty days later the second detachment consisting of six mechanies arrived with Theodore Dean, Manager and Superintendent in charge. Many of the passengers on the vessels who were meehanies sought and obtained employment at the doeks, among whom are a number of Vallejo's most worthy citizens, while laborers being few and hard to get, their places were principally filled by sailors who proved to be invaluable workmen in unloading ships, rigging derricks and performing dock-work generally. Labor was proceeded with in such earnestness thatthe in fall of the following year the dock was completed. Wages were high, the rate at the time being for first class mechanics $5 and $6 per day, but when vessels were under- going repairs, ship carpenters and caulkers got as much as $9 a day with a glass of grog as an extra inducement to toil. Before the work was handed over to the government the contractors had the privilege of using the dock for a certain number of years which they would appear to have done.


Affairs had arrived at this stage when on August 31, 1852, an Act of Congress was passed authorizing "the Secretary of the Navy to select a site for a Naval Yard and Naval Depot in the bay of San Francisco, the same to be surveyed and a plat thereof to be recorded in proper form, the said Secretary to establish a Navy Yard and Naval Depot on the site and erect a foundry, machine shop, blacksmith's shop, boiler shop, engine house, pattern house, carpenters shop and store houses." The amount of appro- priation being $100,000.


250


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


A Board consisting of Commodore John D. Sloat, Commander W. S. Ogden, Lieutenant S. F. Blunt and W. P. S. Sanger, Civil Engineer, were deputed to make the necessary surveys, eventuating in the selection of Mare Island ; and it was purchased by the United States from. W. H. Aspinwall, G. W. P. Bissell and Mrs. Mary S. MacArthur for the sum of $83,000, on January 4, 1853, and on February 28th of that year Aspinwall and Com- stock bound themselves in the sum of $200,000 to convey the whole of the island to the authorities. The expenses of the Board were deducted from the original appropriation as was also the cost of erecting buildings, making the first layout on the part of the government to be : Cost of Mare Island, amount paid to Aspinwall, Bissell and Mrs. McArthur, $83,000 ; expenses of Board of Survey, $11,508.20 ; erection of building for use of yard, $5,491.80. Total, $100,000.


As has been remarked above the selection of the site for a Navy Yard was the result of an Act of Congress, approved by the President of the United States, of the 31st August, 1852, and on March 3, 1853, another ap- propriation of $100,000 was voted by Congress, for building blacksmith's shop, carpenter shop, store-house and wharf, " Provided, That before this sum shall be expended, the Attorney General of the United States shall decide that the United States have good title to the land upon which the buildings are to be erected." The same Act directs the Secretary to com- plete and carry into execution the verbal contract for a basin and railway in California in connection with the floating dock already referred to, and on August 5, 1854, a further grant of $200,000 was appropriated for the continuing of the buildings mentioned above.


The first Commandant of the Yard was appointed on September 16, 1854, Commander David G. Farragut being the officer chosen. At the time of his assumption of office, the island was a mere grazing locality, there being visible only squatters, one or two humble dwellings, and a few sheds which had been put up by the builders of the sectional dry dock. Arrangements for the occupation were pushed with characteristic vigor by Captain Farragut, and on October 3, 1854, the National flag was first hoisted on its newly acquired property.


In the archives of the Commandant's office is preserved a Log in the handwriting of the officer who afterwards achieved such glory for his coun- try and name at New Orleans, when he caused himself to be tied to the shrouds of his flagship, the " Hartford," and ran the gauntlet of the enemy's guns. The pages of Farragut's diary may become tarnished by time, the ink may fade, but his memory will remain untinged as long as the United States will have a history, and be cherished in the hearts of his country- men in such a manner as is only done for the great and the good.


" September 16, 1854 .- Commander Farragut took charge of the Island, and forthwith ordered all of the squatters off-Vara, Gilbert and Antonio Pintro were their names. Weather clear.


1


251


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


" September 17, 1854 .- Looked around the Island for the localities speci- fied in the plan of the Navy Yard; also engaged in examining the amount of property on the island that could be advantageously used by Govern- ment. Weather clear.


" September 18, 1854 .- The sloop-of-war " Warren " came up to be moored as a store-ship for the accommodation of the Yard. Also employed Vara, who was a carpenter, to put up a flag-staff. Paid $500 for towing up the ship, and $192 for pilotage. Weather clear.


" September 19, 1854 .- Made arrangements to dock the " Warren," and employed three or four more to work on the Yard and fix foundation for flag-staff. Also sent to San Francisco for lumber and other appliances to work with. Weather cloudy.


And so does this interesting relic go on; day by day are the facts re- corded with like simplicity until now it is regarded as evidence, the authen- ticity of which can never be doubted.


The year 1855 began with great bustle; on January 24th, the stone foun- dation for the smithery was commenced, and that for the residence of the Commandant was started on the March following, while on April 26th the annexed entry is found in Captain Farragut's Log: "Received by the ' Napa City,' the copper-plate for the corner-stone engraved with the fol- lowing words, viz., 'This Navy Yard was founded September 18, 1854. Franklin Pierce, President of the United States; J. C. Daffin, Secretary of the Navy ; Charles Smith, U. S. N., Chief of Bureau, Docks and Yards ; D. G. Farragut, Commandant of Yard; D. Turner, Civil Engineer, A Powell, Master Carpenter, R. S. King, Master Blacksmith, Mr. Warner, Master Mason. The corner-stone of this building was laid January 23, 1855."




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.