History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 28

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 28


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


During the year the Commandant found it his duty to address the men on desertion and the aiding and abetting it, for this offense had become alto- gether too common ; the word in season had its reward, for those employed became steadier, and there was a marked decrease in the number of malcon- tents. On July 21, an interesting series of experiments was inaugurated in regard to the testing of native woods when Puget Sound timber was found to be very much stronger than Eastern oak and Georgia pine, a result scarcely to be anticipated. On October 26th, we find that the Astronomers of the Exploring Expedition erected the Observatory on the highest point of the island, while the year was wound up by a ball given under the auspices of the Dry Dock Company, who it will be remembered retained possession of the dock for some years subsequent to its completion.


It will thus be seen that the new Navy Yard was assuming something like shape; on the fourth day of the New Year, the planting of trees was commenced. Early in the following month three of the forges in the smithery were completed and ready for use, while the basin to admit the


-


252


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


sectional dock was being completed with all speed. On the 7th of August, 1856, this was effected, water being admitted into it, and on the 25th of September the " Warren " was hauled ashore from the sectional dock and basin, which was the first use of the basin and railway. In the following year another test on the relative strengths of different woods was made, on this occasion between teak and Puget Sound timber, the latter of which again carried off the honors.


Space will not permit of entering into a full detail of the yearly occur- rences at the yard ; such, indeed, would but tax the patience of the reader ; suffice it to say, that but few idle days were admitted into the roll of time ; the construction of buildings was pushed with becoming energy, until the works are not to be excelled on any portion of the globe. As the Island looks to-day, it is a credit to all concerned ; the buildings are noble speci- mens of the mason's art; the grounds are neatly laid out and pleasantly wooded ; while the rising ground behind shows that its cultivation has not been forgotten, there being 350 acres under the plough, its produce being entirely used for Government purposes, what others may say to the con- trary notwithstanding.


Since the appointment of Captain Farragut, up to the present time, in- clusive of the present holder of the office, there have been altogether fifteen commandants at Mare Island, as, under :


Commander D. G. Farragut, September 16, 1854 ; Captain R. B. Cunning- ham, July 16, 1858; Captain David McDougal, March 13, 1861; Captain W. H. Gardner, June 5, 1861 ; Captain Thomas O. Selfridge, May 27, 1862 ; Captain David McDougal, October 17, 1864 ; Commodore Thomas S. Craven, September 5, 1866; Commodore James Alden, August 1, 1868; Captain Reed Werden, March 17, 1869 ; Rear-Admiral Thomas S. Craven, April 15, 1869 ; Commodore John R. Goldsborough, January 1, 1870; Commodore E. J. Parrott, April 15, 1871; Rear-Admiral Thomas O. Selfridge, Septem- ber 3, 1872 ; Rear-Admiral John Rodgers, July 3, 1873; Commodore E. R. Calhoun, April 17, 1877.


The Sectional Dock :- On Mare Island, is the first erection of the kind ever attempted on the Pacific coast, and was commenced in the year 1852. It is composed of 11 sections, each 130 feet long and 33 feet wide, each sec- tion standing 6 inches apart. The extreme length of the construction is 325 feet, and is capable of accommodating a ship of 3,000 tons burthen. The dock basin, in connection therewith, is 400 feet long by 150 feet wide. with a proper depth and ways, 350 feet in length. To get a vessel on to the dock, it is first sunk to a sufficient distance, when she is floated on to it ; the water is then pumped out by steam engines, built expressly for the pur- pose, when the entire structure rises ; it is then floated into the basin, being hauled by hydraulic power; the basin is then emptied by means of pump- ing, and the dock sinks on to the floor, where it becomes a fixture.


253


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


The operation of sinking the dock, is to open the gates that are at each end of the main tank; as they fill, they sink, because the combination of wood and iron, of which they are constructed, has made them heavier than water. To.keep them under the command of the dock-master, the floats are set in operation by the machinery connected to the steam engines situated in the houses on top of the frame work. The master speaks not a word, but calls the attention of the attendants by a whistle, and by mystical signs conveys his orders to them, and the dock sinks slow or fast, as he wills, to the depth required. The gates being shut, the buoyancy of the floats keeps it in that position.


The vessel is then floated in ; the centering beams or shores lowered to a level, run against the sides of the ship, each side being adjusted forward or back, till the numbers on each correspond. Then the vessel is in the center of the dock, ready to be raised. The operation of raising the dock is to pump the water out of the sections and keep it level with the floats. As the water is taken out, the dock rises. To effect this, each section has three pumps on each end, each one with capacity to throw three hundred gallons a minute. They are connected to the machinery above by long rods, and run to the pump, on the deck of the section.


When the vessel is in position, ready to be raised, the pumps are set in operation by a sign, and as soon as the sections lighten a little, the floats are started, and they move downwards on the gear posts just as fast as the post rises, so that the floats keep the same depth on the surface. When the vessel is lifted about twelve inches, the bilge-chocks are run under to sup- port her all around. They are large oak blocks, built up, one on top of another, and connected together by iron dogs, so that they can be made high or low, as the shape of the vessel may require. These slide on ways fastened to the deck of the section, and are held to them under water by bended iron clamps, that slide freely. They are drawn under the vessel by rope and chain, worked by the attendants on the platform of the dock. After the bilge-chocks are set the dock is put in full operation. The floats keep it traveling, by the fast or slow machinery, as the pumps discharge the water, causing the dock to rise,' the master governing the operation as he wills, stopping each pump as his judgment dictates and the necessities of the operation requires, till the dock is above water.


The Stone Dock :- Now in course of construction, will be, when finished, the finest piece of workmanship of its kind in the United States. Its dimensions are :


Feet.


Length between inside line of invert and first altar


418.


Length of keel block from inside of caisson . 440.


Length from outside line of apron to outside line of invert. 7.9


Length of invert. 41.


254


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Eeet.


Width of floor


30.


Width of floor on line of keel blocks


58.


Extreme length of dock over all 525.9


Extreme length of invert over all 126.


Extreme length of invert, inside. 114.


Depth of water at mean high tide on invert. 27.6


Depth of water at mean high tide on floor of dock 32.


Width of entrance to dock 78


The cost of this prodigious undertaking was estimated at $2,149,099; the masonry alone being put down at $1,307,877 ; but concrete has been substituted instead of mason work, as was originally intended, whereby, the expense, it is expected, will be lessened by at least twenty per cent. The cost, up to the fiscal year, ending June 30, 1879, will be $1,094,146 73. It is built on the principle of an inverted arch, the pressure being entirely from the outside towards the centre; this design serving the purpose of keeping the floor intact should the contingency arise of water sapping underneath. The concrete work, which is, as it were, the shell of the struct- ure, is quite new to America, the idea having been brought from France by Mr. Calvin Brown, the Civil Engineer of the dock ; while the lining is of dressed granite ; the flooring is composed of granite blocks, averaging five and a half tons in weight, which are placed in position by means of a der- rick, and what is technically known as a "Lewis," an iron pin, which is larger at the bottom end than at the top, having a wedge of iron fitted into it, and fixed in a socket in the block. The strain of hoisting causes this to tighten, making the hold secure, while to disengage it requires but a few taps of the hammer. The blocks, by these simple contrivances, are moved at will, and eventually rested on a thickness of four feet of concrete. In connection with this undertaking, there is a concrete mixing machine, which is fitted at the top with two hoppers, into which gravel and sand are put ; when started, the contents of the two hoppers meet before arriving on the second floor, where another one is met charged with cement; hereafter they shoot down in a zig-zag fashion towards the floor of the dock, mixing as they descend, until it is discharged, amalgamated in proper proportions.


It was originally intended to construct the dry dock entirely of rubble stone work, but this substitution of concrete will be a vast saving to the Government. The building is provided at its upper end with two timber shoots, while its sides will be constructed after the manner of a staircase. When completed the largest men-of-war that float will be able to be repaired at Mare Island ; no little source of pride in itself, yet it is unfortunate that for want of sufficient appropriations by the Government the work can not be proceeded with as rapidly as could be desired, while it is feared that a delay of year after year may have the effect of weakening some portions of the work when nothing but dire catastrophe would result.


255


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Water :- Is supplied to the Navy Yard by the Vallejo City Water Com- pany to the extent of 1,000,000 gallons a month, transmitted to the island by means of a submarine cast iron pipe with flexible joints, a distance of two thousand feet across the bed of the straits. Besides this quantity, which is used in the officers' quarters and machine shops, there are thirteen cisterns, capable of containing 1,500,000 gallons of rain water, while there is a reser- voir, built during the time of Admiral Rogers' command, which cost $35,000 (received over and above the appropriations made during his term of office). It is 680 feet in length, with an average width of 265 feet, a depth of 32 feet, and a capacity at present of only 14,000,000 gallons, which could be considerable increased by further excavation. Connected with the reservoir is a tunnel, to connect with the supply pipe, 600 feet long, which is laid in concrete and will fill all the ditches, which are about three miles in length


Foundry and Machine Shop :- Which comprises the following divisions, viz .: the foundry, machine, boiler, blacksmith, pattern and coppersmith's shops, is situated at the northeast end of the island and is a magnificent con- struction of red brick. The dimensions of the machine shop are 365x55, and contains an upper story which is used as the pattern shop. In the lower story of this building are located all the different appliances requisite to turn out the very heaviest machinery which might be required for naval pur- poses, all of which are put in motion by a condensing engine of eighty horse power. The foundry, forming a wing of this building, has the capacity of making castings of 100 tons, and has room to employ 150 moulders. The floor is 300 feet long by 60 feet wide, and has a depth of 6 feet of moulding sand, which is procured from San Francisco. Within the structure are five cranes, these having a lifting power of 15 tons, while the others are capable of hoisting 25 tons ; there are also four cupolas for melting iron, with the following capacity : two of 40 tons, one of 20, and one of 10 tons ; in connec- tion with these are two ladles of 20 and 10 tons respectively, while there are three ovens, used for drying purposes, with tracks and carriages to match, of the respective measurements of 20x40, 12x20, and 8x15 feet. The foundry is also supplied with ten brass furnaces, while the elevators and blowers are worked by a separate engine of 20 horse-power. When these works were visited moulding for a screw propeller for the U. S. S. "Iroquois" was being made, which, when finished, will have a weight of about 8,000 lbs. avoirdupois. Castings of 8-inch water pipes, for the use of the yard, were being also proceeded with.


The Ordnance Department :- Is in keeping with the other remarkably elegant buildings with which the Navy Yard abounds. It consists of the Ordnance Store-house of 200x60 feet, two stories in height, and built of brick ; the Shell House, also of brick, of one story, and occupying a space


256


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


of 25x28 feet, and two Gun carriage sheds, one of brick and the other of wood, having a measurement respectively of 150x30 and 100x45 feet. In connection with this branch are two magazines, one of one story in height, fire and bomb-proof, 160x50, and the other 100x45, both being constructed of stone and brick, while in addition there are the Filling House and Shell House, each 100x30 feet, and the Gunner's and Watchman's Quarters. The Magazine Reservation alone occupies an area of 22.45 acres, and is situated at the extreme southern end of the island; in the building are included the Filling and Shell houses referred to above, there being also tanks to hold powder and other rooms appertaining to buildings of this nature; the entire structure is covered with a slate roof. The precautions against fire are numerous and ample. In close proximity to it is a reservoir containing one million gallons of water, which would be used if needed to flood the magazine ; in addition, no vegetation of any kind whatsoever is permitted to grow near the premises, for fear of ignition ; no painting is done on any portion of the edifice, lest that the oil should by chance ignite, while a par- ticular costume is worn by the employes, (a long smock-frock and shoes of canvas with soles of chamois leather) so that buttons, nails or like sub- stances may not be hastily struck and cause a spark.


On the Yard there is altogether stored about 500,000 pounds of powder ; 100,000 projectiles (shot and shell) varying from 12 to 400 pounds ; 644 ordinary cannon, howitzers and large guns, the largest size being 15 inches in diameter, the smallest 45 inch or 12-pounder howitzers ; of small arms, i. e., rifles, bayonets, cutlasses, boarding pikes, etc., there are 2,722, all of which are intended purely for the fitting out of United States vessels-of-war.


This establishment is the very perfection of neatness, indeed so are all of the others, and finds continuous employment for thirteen men, while it is the only department on the Yard that has telephonic communication with the office of the Commandant.


Construction and Repair Workshops :- Are of two stories in height, built of brick and cover an area of 400x65 feet. The first of these is used as a block, boat and cooper's shops, with convenient tool-rooms attached. The upper floor of the building is occupied by the office for this department, as also the workshops of the pattern makers and shipwrights.


The Construction and Repair Store Houses :- Are also of brick, of two stories, and occupy a space of 400x65 feet. It is used entirely for the storage of all articles of ship chandlery, with the exception of a small space in the east end of the second story, which is occupied by the store clerks, and the


Bureau of Navigation :- Whose particular duties are to supply such ship's gear as charts, compasses, chronometers, nautical instruments generally,


1


257


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


lanterns, and all lights and flags. In this office are stored the charts of every known survey in the universe, while there are on its shelves a large and complete collection of the best works bearing on nautical lore.


The Smithery :- Is one of the first buildings erected after Mare Island be- came the property of the United States Government, and is thus appor- tioned ; the main structure is 268x55 feet, and has, two wings, each of 145x55 feet. The first named, and the northern wing, is used by the Bureau of Construction and Repair as Blacksmiths' and Coppersmiths' shops, while in the south wing are contained the Blacksmith shop and Gas Works, under the direction of the Bureau of Yards and Docks.


The Blacksmiths' Shop :- Is a marvel of cleanliness and neatness. Its capacity is sixty fires, the forges being all of cast iron with improved water backs. There are three steam hammers in use : the first with 100 pounds of steam has a striking force equal to 30 tons ; the second, under like circum- stances, 10, and the third 5 tons. In addition, there are two hollow fires, or forges ; 4 feet 4 Blooming furnaces with a capacity of 600 pounds per hour ; 2 large cranes capable of raising 30 cwt. each; 1 Sturtevant blower with capacity for 60 fires ; 3 eyebolt steam dropping hammers used for stamping work, the whole machinery being driven by an engine of 24-horse power.


Blacksmitit's Shop, (Yards and Docks) :- There are eight forges with Sturtevant blowers, and here is done all iron work used in the building of ships, houses, derricks, and general work required on the Yard, including horseshoeing.


Gus :- Is manufactured on the Yard from gasoline, a substance which was formerly procured from rosin and fish oils, but now it is the first running from petroleum. The consumption of the oil is about 850 gallons a month, producing 175 cubic feet of gas per gallon, with a quality of light, clear, good, and safe, of fifteen candle power. The manufacture of this gas, on Mare Island, is entirely effected by one man, although there is employment for four ; while he has in his charge the supply of meters, lamps, etc. The works are well supplied with all the necessary gasfitters' tools. The


Store House :- One of the earlier erections, is a brick building of 400 feet in length by 55 in width, and has, besides two stores, a cellar underneath. This erection is divided, the southern half being occupied by the stores necessary for the bureau of provisions and clothing; while the northern end contains the requisite impedimenta for the bureau of steam engineering. Directly east of the above stands the splendid


17


258


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Workshops for Equipment and Repairs :- Also a two-storied building with cellar, and covering an area of 190x55. In the cellar are stored such arti- cles as tar, oil, etc., while the two upper floors are respectively used as a rigging and sail loft. This is without doubt the finest erection on the Yard, built, as it is, entirely of compressed bricks.


The Equipment and Repairs Store House :- Is a brick building two stories in height, of the area of 200x60 feet, and used entirely for the storing of sails, cordage, and general running gear.


Yards and Docks Workshops :- This erection occupies 400x60 feet of ground, is also of two stories, the first being used as a machine shop, lumber, and store room; while the upper is apportioned into joiners' shop, paint shop, and offices.


Iron Plating Shop :- Is a one-story brick building of 200x70 feet dimen- sions, with a wing 58x60. It is erected on the site of the old ordnance building, but is at present unfinished.


Saw Mill :- The main building of this establishment is 150x55, having two stories, with a cellar. There is also a brick wing attached 55x55, one story in height. The cellar and first story of this building are used as the saw mill, and the second as a mould loft.


Timber Shed :- Is a one-story brick edifice 200x70 feet, used for the pur- pose which its name denotes.


The Office Building .- This structure is of most elegant design, and commands an imposing position on a knoll in the centre of the other con- structions. It occupies a space of 130x50 feet; is of two stories in height, of brick, with a cellar, used as a store room, boiler room, water closets, etc. The first story is devoted to the offices of the Paymaster and clerks; Exec- utive officer; Naval Constructor, clerks, and draftsmen; Civil Engineer, clerks, and draftsmen ; Assistant Naval Constructor and Post office. The second story is occupied by the Commandant, clerks, printer, school room, watchman, library, and court room, used temporarily as a chapel.


Marine Barracks :- Is a two-storied brick building of 500x40 feet, wherein are the men's quarters, armory, store room, etc., as well as the residences of the officers of that corps, the Commandant having a house in the reserva- tion, which comprises an area of 24.68 acres, or thereabouts.


Yard Stables :- A two-storied brick building 150x40 feet, the upper portion being used for the storage of grain, hay, etc., while the lower one is divided into stables for mules and horses, cart sheds, etc.


Barn :- Is a wooden structure 150x40 feet.


259


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Naval Hospital :- This noble structure is located on the southern part of the island, near to and on a line with the Marine Barracks, and is a build- ing worthy of a great government. It is 250 feet long, with an average width of 30 feet, with wings and projections, three stories and an attic in height, with Mansard roof. It is an imposing edifice of elegant design, and, from its elevated position, can be seen afar off. The building is of brick, of which one million and a half were required. The walls are of great thickness, and the entire superstructure is of unusual solidity. It is hard finished throughout, and the inside wood-work is of white pine. The whole structure is arranged with special reference to the object to which it is devoted, note having been made of all the recent improvement in this regard, including an elevator, whereby patients and goods are raised and lowered, with ease and comfort, from one part of the building to another. Particular attention has been paid to light and ventilation. Water tanks of large dimensions are placed upon the roof, and a cistern for rain water has been built. In a word, it is all a first-class hospital building should be. To it is attached a stable and gas house. The reservation, in which the hos- pital buildings stand, occupies an area of about 31.21 acres.


In addition to these already-mentioned buildings, there are the officers quarters, including the residence of the Commandant, all of which (five and a half double and one single house) are built on a beautiful avenue some distance back from the water front and parallel with it. They are a few yards from the sidewalk and possess well laid out gardens in front of them; while on the outside of the walk there is a row of magnificent shade trees. The rooms are spacious and have all the modern improvements, including gas, bath-rooms, etc.


Among the other most prominent erections on the yard are the Bishop's derrick, capable of raising forty tons; the railroad track, laid from the foundry to the saw-mill, a distance of about 3,000 feet ; and the Kearsarge column, on the capital of which stands the "fiddle," or figure-head of that famous vessel, while there is a cemetery and light-house reservation, which comprise 6.65, and 4.89 acres respectively.


The following is a list of the naval, marine, and civil officers and attachès of the Navy Yard and Station, Mare Island, on March 29, 1879 :- Commo- dore Edmund R. Calhoun, Commandant; Captain P. C. Johnson, Executive Officer. Commandant's Office :- William R. Cox, Jr., Chief Clerk; C. W. Mornington, Second Clerk; B. F. Calhoun, Writer. Department of Yards und Docks :- Calvin Brown, Civil Engineer; E. A. Willats, Engineers' and Time Clerk; C. C. Hall, Store Clerk; Thomas O'Connor, Writer. Depart- ment of Navigation :- Commander C. J. McDougal, Navigation Officer; Lieutenant-commander, Charles H. Craven; Lieutenants, Leonard Chenery, C. W. Christopher; Master, J. S. Abbott; Clerk, Wm. G. Overend. Depart-


260


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


ment of Ordnance :- Commander C. J. McDougal, Ordnance officer; Gun- ner E. A. McDonald, in charge of magazine; E. J. Overend, Clerk. Depart- ment of Construction and Repair :- Naval Constructor, George W. Much; Assistant Naval Constructor, George F. Mallett; Constructors' and Time Clerk, George W. Simonton; Store Clerk, John A. Day; Writers, John O. Watkins, Herbert Mallett, N. B. Klink. Department of Steam Engineer- ing :- Chief Engineer, M. Fletcher, in charge of department; Chief Engin- eer, Geo. F. Kutz, in charge of stores; Passed Assistant Engineer, James Entwistle; Engineers' and Time Clerk, A. L. Hathaway; Store Clerk, St. Clair Fletcher. Department of Equipment and Recruiting :- Commander, Louis Kempff, Equipment Officer; Boatswain, John Keating; Sailmaker, Thomas O. Fassett; Clerk, A. H. McCobb. Department of Provisions and Clothing :- Paymaster, George Cochran; Paymaster's Clerk, Hobart Ber- rien; Writer, Daniel Hubbard. Department of Paymaster of Yard :- Pay- master, George E. Hendee; Paymaster's Clerk, L. T. Binder; Writer, G. S. Gregson. Department of Medicine and Surgery-Naval Hospital :- Medical Inspector, John M. Browne; Passed Assistant Surgeons, R. A. Mar- mion, Hampton Aulick; Assistant Surgeon, C. H. H. Hall; Apothecary, John G. Taylor: Navy Yard Surgeon, George W. Woods; Apothecary, John R. Whittaker. Marine Barracks :- Major C. D. Hebb, U. S. M. C., Commanding; First Lieutenants, O. C. Berryman, H. G. Ellsworth; Second Lieutenant, Andrew Stevenson. Receiving-ship Independence :- Captain John Irwin, Commanding; Lieutenant-commander, Samuel S. Wilson; En- sign, N. R. Usher; Mate, P. C. Van Buskirk; Passed Assistant Paymaster, Fred C. Alley; Assistant Surgeon, D. O. Lewis; Paymaster's Clerk, John A. Kelly; Boatswain, J. Harding; Gunner, Stephen Young.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.