USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 30
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
4th. The tract hereby conceded is of four (sitios) ranges of large cattle, as set forth by the design relating hereto. The Judge who may give posses- sion will cause the same to be measured according to law, the surplus remain- ing the property of the nation for its own proper use and benefit.
5th. If he shall break these conditions he shall lose his rights to the tract, and it may be claimed by others.
Wherefore, I order that these presents, being his title deeds, be considered firm and valid, that they be recorded in the proper book, and delivered to the party in interest for his security and other uses.
Given at Monterey, November 20, 1844.
MANUEL MICHELTORENA.
MANUEL JIMENO, Secretary.
This grant is recorded in the proper book, pp. 12 se.
JIMENO.
270
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
In a few years more the Mexican Government lost its claim to California' and Bidwell thinking, doubtless that the obligations which bound him not to dispose of any portion of the grant were null and void, began to sell por- tions of the grant. The first sale was made to Jacob D. Hoppe and Lucy Hoppe, his wife, deed bearing date of October 15, 1847. The consideration was $500, and the land transferred was "an undivided one-fourth of the tract of land known by the name of 'Hela Chammac,'" being one league square. The deed was a warranty deed, and was witnessed by L. W. Boggs. It was acknowledged before George Hyde, Ist Alcalde of San Francisco. Numerous other tracts were disposed of by Bidwell, all being undivided fractional portions of the grant. A full list of these transfers will be found in the list of transfers farther on.
After the United States obtained possession of California the titles of Mexican grants began to get a little " shaky," and required, in many instances, a considerable "bracing up." This grant was no exception to the rule, and we find that on the 3d day of September, 1852, John Bidwell brought his claims to the Ulpinos grant before the Board of Land Commissioners at San Francisco for confirmation. The matter was before the commissioners for a long time, and on the 17th day of January, 1854, " Commissioner Thompson Campbell delivered the opinion of the Board confirming the claim." The opinion of the Board is a full and complete review of the case in all its legal and historical bearings, and is well worthy a perusal. The measure- ment of the grant was now declared to be 20,000 varas by 5,000 varas, con- taining four leagues. On September 13, 1854, the United States took the initiatory steps toward appealing the case to the United States District Court. The appeal was filed July 16, 1855, and petitioned the Court for a reversal of the decision of the Commissioners. John Bidwell filed his answer on the 20th of July, 1855, and prayed that the decision of the Board be affirmed.
On the 29th day of October, 1855 the decree of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Ogden Hoffman, Jr., Judge, was filed, confirming the decision of the Commissioners. On the 10th day of January, 1857, Hon. Caleb Cushing, Attorney General of the United States, wrote to Wm. Blanding, U. S. District Attorney, stating that this case would not be prosecuted any farther by the United States. Upon receipt of this letter the United States District Attorney instructed Judge Hoffman to make the final decree of confirmation. This final decree of confirmation was made by Judge Ogden Hoffman on the 21st day of March, 1857. The matter ran along very smoothly for nearly ten years, when a patent was issued by the United States to John Bidwell for the grant. This patent is dated August 9, 1866, and is signed by A. Johnson, President. The num- ber of acres contained in this grant, as specified by the Surveyor General, is seventeen thousand, seven hundred and twenty-six (17,726). So much for the legal history of the grant insomuch as John Bidwell is concerned and the validity of his title to it.
271
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Proceedings in Partition .- From time to time Bidwell had sold to vari- ous parties undivided fractional portions of the grant, until it was in a badly jumbled state, as regards boundary lines. On the 10th day of August, 1855, in the District Court of the Seventh Judicial District, in and for Solano county, one of the claimants, Samuel J. Hensley, entered a suit for partition. At that time the ownership was vested as follows: Samuel J. Hensley, one-eighth ; Sarah B. Gillespie, one-sixteenth ; Chas. R. Bond and J. Tuttle Smith, assignees of C. V. Gillespie, one-fourth ; Alex. G. Abell, one twenty-fourth ; E. H. Board, one twenty-fourth ; Phoebe S. Van Nostrand, one thirty-second ; Charles L. Ross, one-twelfth and one-eighteenth ; D. L. Ross, one-twelfth, also an interest in 2,000 acres claimed by Chas. L. Ross ; I. C. Woods, an interest in 2,400 acres of the interest of Chas. L. Ross ; John Denn, one-eighteenth ; Hiram Grimes, one thirty-second ; David N. Hawley, one thirty-second ; John Curry, one thirty-second ; R. B. Norman, one-six- teenth, including the claim of John Curry ; Samuel Price and Fred. Green, (Price & Co.), an interest in the interest of R. B. Norinan; Mary P. Buckley, two hundred and fifty-four thousandths ; Chas. L. Ross also claimed seven hundred and sixty-four thousandths by virtue of a tax title. It was prayed by the plaintiff that a sale be made and the proceeds equally divided among the claimants. Col. N. H. Davis was the attorney for plaintiff. Due sum- mons was to said claimants issued from the Court. Several of them filed answers, all favoring the idea of an equitable and legal adjudication of the entire matter. B. C. Whitman, of Benicia, was appointed as referee. The referee proceeded at once to make arrangements for the sale. The entire rancho was divided into twenty equal tracts, the measurement being made along the river front, and extending back one league. The sale occurred on the 3d day of December, 1855, in front of the Court House door in the town of Benicia. The purchasers and the amount given for each tract is as follows : Lot No. 1, N. H. Davis, $125 ; No. 2, Josiah Knowles; $141; No. 3, N. H. Davis, $40; No. 4, J. Denn, $225 ; No. 5, C. V. Gillespie, $250; No. 6, A. G. Abell, $275; No. 7, same, $220; No. 8, S. C. Hastings, $200; No. 9, C. V. Gillespie, $145; No. 10, same, $150; No. 11, S. C. Hastings, $185 ; No. 12, J. Wilcoxson, $55 ; No. 13, C. V. Gillespie, $80; No. 14, N. H. Davis, $80; No. 15, same, $50; No. 16, same, $50; No. 17, same, $95; No. 18. Robt. Beasley, $75; No. 19, same, $75; No. 20, same, $75. Total, $2,591, In less than a quarter of a century the value of this land has advanced so much that at a forced sale, similar to this one, it would doubtless be sold for more than $50,000. It is noticeable that the referee was allowed $500 for his services and costs of reference, an amount equal to about one-fifth of the proceeds of the sale, and that amount was taken from the proceeds of the sale. The desired result of the sale was secured, and there has since been no litigation, nor is there liable to be, as the title is almost absolutely perfect.
272
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
In the year 1851 Robt. E. Beasley located on the southern end of the Ulpinos grant and built what was always known as the "twin houses." This was one of the houses which came around the horn in an early day already framed. The purchaser had no idea of the style of architecture of his house when he bought it, and was surprised when he began to con- struct it to find that it was framed as a double house. The site of the house was about 200 yards above the present location of Toland's Landing. Beasley established a ferry at this point, between Sherman Island and the main land, using a flat boat and a chain. Robt. E. Beasley was a peculiar genius ; a veritable Utopian. All old settlers will remember his (locally) famous pronunciamento of peace, issued by him during the war of the Rebellion, in which he supposed he had solved all the questions of dispute, and set forth a plan for the amicable adjustment of all differences between the North and South. Poor Beasley died without seeing a realization of any of his many vast projects, and his body was shipped by express to the nearest cemetery, and no friend followed him to his last resting place.
Development .- For years the land of this township was considered fit for nothing but grazing purposes. It was never dreamed that grain would flourish in any portion of it. Small portions of land were planted in grain about 1862, and it was found that they flourished well. The year 1864 was exceedingly dry and crops an entire failure; but after that the merits of the rich adobe soil became rapidly to be appreciated, and that township now ranks among the first in the county.
RIO VISTA .- Rio Vista is the only town in the township. In the fall of 1857, Col. N. H. Davis surveyed and recorded a town plat on lot No. 3 of Ulpinos grant. The site of this proposed town was situated about one mile below the mouth of Cache slough. It was called Brozos del Rio, (Arms of the River) from the circumstance that it was situated so near three branches of the Sacramento river. The name, however, was changed three years later to Rio Vista, (River View) at the suggestion of Mrs. Dr. Kirkpatrick ; a very appropriate name also. At that time Col. Davis' resi- dence was the only house on the site.
The next building placed upon the town site was a store-house moved from Sidwell's Landing, on Grand Island, and occupied by A. G. Westgate for mercantile purposes. This building stood on the corner of Front and Main streets. This was followed in rapid succession by a butcher-shop by A. J. Bryant, a hotel by W. K. Squires, a blacksmith-shop by Simon Fall- man, a salmon cannery by Carter & Son, a store by S. R. Perry, a drug store by James & Thomas Freeman, (they also had an hotel), a livery- stable by James Hammel, and several private residences, making in all quite a little village.
ford
D.h. Hastways
THE EW ORy
273
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
In the spring of 1858 Colonel Davis constructed a wharf 24x75 feet. John M. Sidwell was the builder. In 1859 the California Steam Navigation Company came into possession of the wharf and enlarged it to 150x48 feet. The magnificent steamers " New World," " Antelope," " Eclipse " and " Sen- ator " were then plying the Sacramento, touching daily at Rio Vista.
Colonel Davis established a post-office in the town, probably in 1858, and that made it a sort of headquarters for all the surrounding country, as there was not an office within twenty miles at that time.
At this time there was an untold abundance of salmon in the river, and hundreds of men were engaged in fishing. As there was no other landing between Sacramento and Benicia, there were thousands of fish shipped from this point daily, and, as a consequence, the town was full of men, and money was spent with a lavish hand.
Everything flourished in the new town for five years, when a circum- stance occurred which was destined to sweep the town out of existence at one swoop. Sometime in the Fall of 1861 it commenced raining, and con- tinued almost incessantly for the fabled forty days and nights. The con- sequence was the water increased to unheard of heights. During the last days of December, 1861, the water rose high enough to sweep away all the smaller buildings in the town, but it was reserved for January 9, 1862, to be the culmination of the fearful tragedy whereby a whole village should be swept out of existence and its people escaping barely with their lives. On that day the water stood twelve feet deep at the foot of Main street. For miles, in all directions, the face of the earth was covered with a wild waste of waters. All day a fearful rain-storm prevailed and a southeast gale swept over miles and leagues of seething sea. The angry waves in their wild confusion dashed against the buildings with giant force, and all were total wrecks long before night. The houseless and homeless people gathered together on the top of a mound a short distance below the town. They brought a few things with them and managed to eke out a most miserable existence for a few days until steamers came and took them off. Those days and nights of misery and privation are, perhaps, among the hardest the early pioneers of California were called upon to undergo; and no in- cident recorded in song or story, either truth or romance, is more replete with pathos than the recital of the scenes and incidents of those eventful days. All that is now left to mark the site of the once thriving village are a few decaying piles which formed a part of the wharf. A few strangers sleep in unknown graves near there. Cattle now graze in peace and quietude where was once the busy mart of trade.
Shortly after this, perhaps in the month of March, 1862, several of the former residents of the old town began casting about for a more secure place whereupon to pitch their tents-a location above the reach of the raging floods and angry waves. A party of four men, consisting of William
18
274
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
K. Squires, S. R. Perry, J. M. Sidwell and Isaac Dunham, went to see Mr. Joseph Bruning, who owned a ranch on the upper edge of the Montezuma hills. Negotiations were at once entered into, and the northeast corner of Mr. Bruning's ranch was the site chosen for the new town. Accordingly Mr. Bruning surveyed and recorded the town plat of "New Rio Vista," in 1862. T. J. McWorthy, who then owned the Gardiner ranch, surveyed and recorded an addition to the town. Main street is located on the line of division of the two ranches, and the town has grown up on either side of it.
The first store was erected by S. R. Perry. This was followed by an hotel by J M. Sidwell, an hotel by Wm. K. Squires, and many other business and private buildings. Many of the people who had lived in the old town settled in the new town, and went on with their former occupations just as if nothing had ever occurred. The new town grew rapidly, and in a short time far exceeded the old town.
The post-office was established at S. R. Perry's store with S. R. Perry as postmaster. The wharf was built by Joseph Bruning in the Spring of 1862. In 1866 the steamer " Yosemite " blew up at this wharf, killing about eighty persons. Of this number about thirty were Chinamen.
The first church building erected in Rio Vista was the Catholic. It was built in June, 1868. The only other church building in town is the Con- gregational, which was erected in August, 1868. The first public school was established in the Fall of 1862. James U. Chase was the first teacher.
The present site of Rio Vista is 64 miles from San Francisco, 50 miles from Sacramento and 25 miles from Fairfield. It lies on the western bank of the Sacramento river, in the eastern part of Solano county. It is in the heart of one of the most prosperous agricultural districts in the State. The Montezuma hills, at its back, is unrivalled for grain, and vast bodies of swamp and overflowed lands lie in front of it extending far away to Stock- ton, all in process of reclamation. These lands will prove, when reclaimed, to be an inexhaustible source of fruit, vegetables, grain, etc.
There are two lines of steamers which land here, going each way, daily, with the addition of an occasional opposition steamer. The C. P. R. R. Company's steamers carry Wells, Fargo & Co's express and the U. S. Mails. The California Transportation Company's steamers run up Old river, and ply chiefly in the fruit trade.
Rio Vista is the present terminus of the Montezuma telegraph, which affords great facility of communication with the markets, and the outside world generally.
The town is supplied with water from the Sacramento river. It is lifted by steam and placed into large tanks situated on an eminence near the center of the town; thence it is distributed through the town by mains and service pipe. The manager of this enterprise, R. C. Carter, is an old pioneer
275
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
of the town. Abundance of water can also be had by boring, and at no great depth.
The great amount of hay and grain grown in this vicinity demand ware- houses with large storage capacity. In the town there are three, with room for the storage of 6,000 tons of grain and 6,500 tons of hay, while at New Town Landing, about a mile above Rio Vista, there are warehouses with a storage capacity of 4,000 tons of grain and 3,500 tons of hay. There are also houses at Toland's Landing, on the river a few miles below Rio Vista, which have a very large storage capacity. A large portion of the grain is also taken to Bird's Landing.
For a statement of the various kinds of business conducted in the town we refer our readers to the business directory. Other matters of importance will be found under their appropriate headings.
F. and A. M .- Rio Vista Lodge No. 208, Free and Accepted Masons, was organized June 5, 1870. The following named gentlemen were charter members : Robert Martin, G. H. Bell, C. A. Pine, Jas. Johnson, G. W. Kynock, J. Pool, Chas. Martell, S. P. Sorenson and J. S. Cook. The first officers were: Robert Martin, W. M .; C. A. Pine, S. W .; Geo. H. Bell, J. W. Following is a complete list of the W. M's from the date of organization to the present time : Robert Martin, 1870; J. S. Cook, 1871; C. A. Pine, 1872; Josiah Pool, 1873; Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, 1874; T. P. Emigh, 1875, re-elected 1876; Dr. M. Pietrzycki, 1877 ; Jas. Johnson, 1878. The follow- ing named gentlemen are the officers elect for the ensuing year: E. C. Dozier, W. M .; J. E. T. Smith, S. W .; W. B. Pressley, J. W .; A. H. Peterson, Treasurer; J. C. Kraus, Secretary. The present membership is 43. The order is in a very prosperous condition.
I. O. O. F .- Rio Vista Lodge No. 180, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized September 21, 1870. The following named gentlemen were charter members : Jas. Johnson, S. P. Sorenson, A. H. Hawley, M. S. Stone, John Davis and Chas. Davis. The following named members have served as N. G's : M. S. Stone, 1870 ; S. P. Sorenson and A. H. Hawley, 1871 ; Jas. Johnson and E. W. Westgate, 1872; J. D. Ingersoll and Wm. Ferguson, 1873 ; J. M. Perry and Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, 1874; Jos. Nevin and J. C. Kraus, 1875; John O'Hara and J. E. Pratt, 1876; J. E. Pratt, (re-elected) and John Davis, 1877; A. H. Peterson and S. Neilson, 1878. Following is the list of officers elect for the ensuing term: Simon Neilson, N. G .; Jerome Emigh, V. G .; J. C. Kraus, Secretary ; S. P. Sorenson, Treasurer. The pres- ent membership is 65.
C. of R. C .- River View Encampment No. 6, Champions of the Red Cross, was organized October 4, 1872. The following is a list of its charter mem-
276
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
bers : J. D. Ingersoll, J. D. Tillery, Wm. Ferguson, Jas. Williams, Mrs. H. W. Stone, S. C. Edwards, Mrs. Emeline Westgate, C. A. Pine, Mrs. M. E. Kraus, J. T. Hadley, R. C. Sidwell, Thos. E. Morgan, Mrs. M. E. Morgan. The following named persons are the officers elect for the ensuing term : J. F. Morey, Com .; Mrs. M. Davis, J. C .; H. H. Hudson, R. S .; Jas. Williams, Treas.
Rio Vista H. and L. Co .- The Rio Vista Hook and Ladder Company was organized October 21, 1871. The following named gentlemen were organ- izing members : S. Craner, R. C. Sidwell, Jas. Donovan, Chas. Scarlett, G. W. Roberts, Chas. Green, R. C. Carter, J. M. Sidwell, W. W. Elliott, Jas. Johnson, Geo. Clarridge and H. Craner. R. C. Carter was the first Fore- man. The company have always been in a very prosperous condition, and the present membership numbers 30. S. Nielson is the present Foreman. he Tcompany, with the aid of the citizens, has supplied the town with 72 buckets, several hooks, ladders, axes, etc., and with their own private means have purchased 500 feet of four-inch hose at an expense of $300, and have lately constructed a building at an expense of $245.
Congregational Church .- The "First Church of Christ in Rio Vista " was organized by Rev. J. H. Warren, Superintendent of the American Home Missionary Society for California, and Rev. S. B. Dunton, Acting Pastor of the Congregational Society in Rio Vista, on the 29th day of May 1869. The following are the names of the original members of the Church: Rev. S. B. Dunton, Mrs. H. W. Stone, Mrs. N. J. Munson, Mrs. Virginia E. Brown. M. S. Stone, Jos. Munson, Dr. L. F. Dozier, Josiah Pool, Dr. S. C. Brown, Mrs. Mary E. Hawley, Jarvis Emigh, Peter H. Hamilton, Mrs. A. E. Pool, Barton Dozier, Margaret Brandon, Neil Cook, Rob't Watson, Mrs. Mary A. Watson, D. McCormac, Mrs. Catherine McCormac, Mrs. Ann Denoville. The following-named gentlemen have acted as pastors since its organization : Rev. S. B. Dunton, acting Pastor from May 29th to November, 1869; Rev. J. J. Powell, elected October 24, 1869, installed March 2, 1870; Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, elected December 29, 1872, installed March 19, 1873; Rev. G. F. G. Morgan, elected May 1, 1875; Rev. G. H. Smith, elected September 24, 1876. The present membership is forty-six.
Congregational Sunday School :- A Sunday School was organized in the Congregational Church on the 11th day of July, 1869. The following is the list of Superintendents and time of election: S. C. Brown, elected July 11, 1869; re-elected July, 1870. Rev. J. J. Powell, elected August 1, 1871; re-elected July 2, 1872; L. L. Palmer, elected July 14, 1873; Rev. A. F. Hitchcock, elected July, 1874; H. S. Vining, elected May, 1875; Wm. Ferguson, elected March, 1876, and still continues in office. The present
277
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
scholarship is about sixty-eight. The Sunday School is ably managed, and there is a considerable interest taken in it by the scholars and teachers.
M. E. Church :- This Church organization was effected in the. latter part of 1877, by Rev. T. H. Woodward, who served as Pastor till September, 1878. Rev. R. E. Wenk supplies the pulpit at present. The membership at present is not very large, but is increasing. They have no church build- ing of their own; as yet, but have a very acceptable place of worship rented. There is a Sunday School connected with the Church, which was organized December 1, 1878, with L. L. Palmer as Superintendent. The average attendance is thirty-five.
Catholic Church :- This was the first church edifice erected in Rio Vista. It was built in 1868. It is in the same parish with the church at Suisun, and the same priest serves at both places. The first priest who officiated here was Rev. Father Auger. He served the church until December, 1872, since which time Rev. Father McNaboe has officiated. The membership is quite large, and the church services well attended. Father McNaboe is an energetic, hard-working man, and is well liked by all his parishioners.
St. Gertrude's Academy :- This Academy for young ladies, under the direction of the Sisters of Mercy, is beautifully situated on an eminence in the pleasant and accessible town of Rio Vista. The location is remarkably healthful, the building new and well furnished with all that contributes to the health and comfort of the pupils. The pleasure-grounds are extensive, and well adapted to healthful exercise. Pupils of all persuasions are equally received. The course of instruction embodies all the useful branches of a solid education. The academy building was erected in 1876, by the munifi- cence of Mr. Joseph Bruning, and was formally dedicated by Bishop Ale- many on the 10th day of December, 1876. There are nine Sisters engaged in teaching, which constitutes a most efficient corps of teachers. The Acad- emy is justly popular with its patrons, and we are sure the time is not far distant when its sphere will be extended so much that new and larger build- ings will be required. We bid it "God speed."
The Public School :- The first school building in Rio Vista was erected during the summer of 1862, on the site of the present building, on a lot donated by Joseph Bruning, for that purpose. The first teacher was James U. Chase, who opened the first school during the fall of 1862. We could find no records until the year 1870, hence are unable to give an authentic list of the teachers who have taught, but the following list is tolerably cor- rect: Jas. U. Chase, Byron Hunt, Mr. Burdell, Miss Mary Burns, Mrs. R. Thrush, Miss Sweetland, Miss Stone, Miss Fannie Davis. On the records which begin with 1870 we find the following-named teachers: Anthony Dozier, M. C. Winchester, H. W. Fenton, *Miss Irene Canright, W. E. Mc
278
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Intyre, Miss V. P. Stevens, *Miss D. M. Stone, Miss Bertha A. Bicknell, *Miss Mary S. Warren, L. L. Palmer, *Miss Mary Linton, *Miss Jennie Robertson, M. T. Sickal, *Miss Florence Sickal. In 1871 the school was graded into Grammar and Primary Departments, and those marked with an asterisk (*) were teachers in the Primary Department. There are at present three grades in the school: Primary Department, Miss Florence Sickal, teacher; Intermediate Department, Miss Jennie Robertson, teacher; Gram- mar Department, M. T. Sickal, teacher.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.