USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 29
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
There are at present the following vessels of the U. S. Navy In Ordinary at the Yard, Mare Island: Sailing sloop-of-war "Cyane;" steam sloops-of- war "Iroquois," (old) "Mohican," "Narragansett," "Nyack," "Saco," "Benicia," and the iron-clads "Monadnock," and "Comanche." In commission, are the frigate "Independence," steam-tug "Monterey," and yard-schooner "Freda." There have been built, and are now building, the U. S. side-wheel steamer "Saginaw," and the steam sloop-of-war (new) "Mohican." The first of these was constructed in the year 1859, and was of the following dimensions: Register length, 158 feet; breadth, 26 feet; depth, 11.3 feet, and tonnage, 282 tons; she was wrecked on Ocean Island, in October, 1870. In refer- ence to the loss of this vessel, the following interesting record, which is attached to one of her boats, now suspended in the construction-store, is produced: "Gig of the U. S. S. "Saginaw," which vessel was wrecked on Ocean-island reef, Lat. 28 deg. 36 min. N., Long. 178 deg. 25 min. W., October 29, 1870. This boat was fitted out on Ocean Island, manned by a crew of five, who volunteered to sail to Honolulu, distance 1,600 miles, for the purpose of saving their ship-mates. Sailed November
261
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
18, 1870, arrived off Kanai (one of the Haiwaiian group) evening of De- cember 18, 1870; capsized morning of 19th of December, in surf, while trying to land at Kalihi, Kdai, island of Kanai. Four of the five volun- teers were drowned, viz .: Lieut. J. G. Talbot, drowned; Seaman J. Andrews, drowned; Quartermaster P. Francis, drowned; Seaman J. Muir, drowned; Coxswain W. Halford, sole survivor." Halford, for his heroic conduct, was promoted to the rank of Gunner in the Navy, and presented with a bronze medal by the Government. He is now serving on board of the U. S. S. "Lackawanna."
The steam-tug "Monterey," and schooner "Freda" were also built at Mare Island. Besides these, the following ships have received large repairs there: The sloop-of-war "St Mary's," paddle-wheel "Saranac," steam sloop-of-war "Onipee," "Lackawanna," "Resaca," "Kearsarge," "Pensacola," "Benicia," "Tuscarora," and "Iroquois." The vessels now attached to the Pacific station are: "Pensacola," (fiag-ship), "Alaska," Jamestown," "Tuscarora," "Adams," with the store-ship "Onward" at Callao, Peru.
In the fore-going remarks mention has been made of the "Monadnock." She now lies in honorable retirement in the straits at Mare Island, her sides and turrets showing the marks of having been in many a hard-contested fight prior to having made the risky journey around "The Horn." A new "Monadnock" is now being built, a few remarks on which we append: The "Monadnock," United States double-turretted monitor now in course of con- struction at Vallejo, is an item of considerable historic interest to the county, more especially in regard to its shipping interest. The Navy Department at Washington having, for some reason best known to themselves, granted the building of this craft to private individuals, under the plea that it could be so done at a less cost than if built in any of their own yards, gave the contract to Mr. Phineas Burgess, of Brooklyn, New York, to construct a ves- sel to take the place of the old ship of the same name, bringing into use what- soever portion of her gear as might be found suitable; the work carried on to be under the supervision of the Government Naval Inspector; Mr. Burgess having as his representative Mr. Wm. W. Vanderbilt, for many years con- nected with the service of the Pacific Mail Company, on this coast as well as elsewhere. There were three separate contracts entered into: First, the frames, deck-beams, etc., were to be erected by Mr. Burgess; second, the plat- ing-contract, as it may be called, was to put on the inner and outer skin, com- plete all bulkheads and the iron deck-plating; and third, to place the armor and its backing, to remove the turrets from the old "Monadnock" and erect them on the present ship; to lay wooden berth and main decks, and other- wise to complete the monitor for sea to the approval of the Government Inspector.
The dimensions are as under: Length between perpendiculars, 250 feet; length over all, 263.6 fect; breadth moulded and lower side of armor shelf,
262
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
55.0} feet; breadth, moulded abreast the armor, 50.83 feet; breadth, ex- treme, over armor, 55.10 feet; depth, from bottom of flat keelson plate to top of main deck-beams, 14.8; projection of ram built in hull, 10 feet.
The vessel is to all intents a double one, she having both an inner and an outer skin, the thickness of the latter being & and 5 inches thick, while ? inches is the dimensions of the former. Between these two skins there are 84 water-tight compartments, which will add materially to her natural buoyancy, there being besides three athwart ship water-tight bulkheads, which are more particularly to keep her afloat should any unforeseen dis- aster occur. Her turrets, which are to be two in number, will carry two guns in each, of 15-inch calibre. She will be driven by two pair of compound engines of 500 horse-power each; she will be provided with a twin-screw propeller of 11 feet in diameter ; all her machinery will be below the water line ; her outside armor plates will be 7 inches in thickness of solid iron, and will extend for three feet below the water line; her smokestack is to be armored for a certain distance ; it will also have a telescopic working ; she will be rigged with one mast; her draft will be 14 feet; she will have a freeboard, i. e., there will be exposed above the water 30 inches of plat- ing, and her displacement is calculated to be about 5,000 tons. When ready for sea the " Monadnock " will be supplied with a steam launch, and the other necessary small boats, five in number, and her complement of of- ficers and men will be one hundred and fifty.
Unfortunately work progresses but slowly on this magnificent specimen of naval architecture for want of the necessary Government appropriations ; were such to be made she could be completed in a year, but under present circumstances it is hard to say when she will be launched and ready for sea. Were the work proceeded with, it could not be otherwise than a great boon to Vallejo, for a decided impetus would be naturally imparted to labor, and bring money, that source of all good, into circulation.
In concluding this sketch of Mare Island's admirable Navy Yard, and with it the Township of Vallejo, no more appropriate leave can be taken than by introducing the story of that maritime pioneer which now lies so peacefully alongside the sea-wall of the Arsenal.
The " Independence."-The "Guerriere," 44, the first frigate that had been put into the water, on the seaboard, by the American Government since the year 1801, was launched at Philadelphia June 20, 1814. It was intended that the "Independence," 74, should have gone off the same day at Boston, but she stuck on the ways. She was got safely into the water on the 20th July, however, and was the first two-decked ship that ever properly belonged to the American Navy, the " America," 74, having been given to the King of France while yet on the stocks.
Cooper's Naval History thus gives us the date when the old ship was
263
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
launched, to do her part in showing to the world the American flag, and, if necessary, to protect it from and to resent its insults. She made her first cruise as flag-ship of Commodore Bainbridge, in the Mediterranean sea. She was commanded on this cruise by Captain William McCrane, and then by Captain C. G. Ridgeley, sailing from Boston on July 3, 1815, and fin- ishing the cruise by arriving at the same port on December 7, 1815.
Her second cruise was as flag-ship of Commodore J. B. Nicholson, to Europe and Brazil. Commanded by Lieutenant Alexander Slidell, she sailed from Boston on May 21, 1837, carrying out Mr. Dallas, as the Amer- ican Minister to Russia, and arriving at Cronstadt on the 29th July. After leaving her distinguished passenger with our friends at Cronstadt, she sailed for the Brazil station, stopping a few days at Madeira. Finishing her duty in Brazil, she returned home, arriving at New York March 30, 1840, under the command of Lieut. John Pope.
Her third cruise as the flag-ship of Commodore Charles Stewart, was made in the home or West India squadron. She sailed from New York May 14, 1842, and went to Boston, where Capt. L. Gallagher was relieved by Capt. H. Stringham as Commanding Officer. She then sailed from Bos- ton on September 29th, and made her cruise about the "Indies," returning to New York. Sailing again from that city on June 2, 1843, she visited different ports on the coast and returned to her station, Boston, on Decem- ber 3, 1843.
Her next cruise was to the Pacific Coast, bearing the flag of Commodore William B. Shubrick, and commanded successively by Capt. E. A. Lavalette and Lieutenant R. L. Page. Sailing from Boston on the 29th August, 1846, and stopping at the different ports of the coast, visiting San Francisco several times, and making a safe and successful cruise, she returned to Nor- folk, Va., on the 23d May, 1849.
Her fifth cruise then was made by going a second time to the Mediter- ranean. This cruise she bore the flag of Commodore C. W. Morgan, and was commanded by Captain T. A. Conover, at her sailing from Norfolk on July 26, 1849. During most of the cruise she was commanded by Com- mander George S. Blake, and returned to Norfolk on the 25th June, 1852, under command of Captain William Jameson.
The last cruise the old vessel made was in 1855 as flag ship of Commo- dore William Marvine. Captain W. B. Nicholson was Elect Captain, and Captain Tatnall Commander of the ship. Since then her cruising days are over and she has been used as a receiving ship both at San Francisco and Vallejo, and has often changed commanders. Among them were Captains Carter, Shirley, Phelps, Commander Gherardi and other distinguished officers. She now lies securely moored and comfortably roofed in as a home for old men-of-war's men, some of whom knew her when she was first launched, and raw recruits who take their first lessons in drill.
264
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The old ship although launched too late for the war of 1812 has done good service, especially while on the Pacific Coast under command of Com- modore Shubrick, for the " Independence " crew and officers figured in almost every action with the Mexican towns of the coast, and Cooper gives several instances where the American flag was hoisted on shore in token of victory under a salute from the guns of this vessel.
She was superintended in her building by Commodore W. B. Shubrick, and the solidity of her timbers and knees and their present freedom from rot show the care used and skill exercised in the performance of his duty. Built as a 74, it was found that she carried, on her first cruise, the sills of her midships lower-gun-deck-ports only three feet above water. She was razeed in 1836, thereby making her a 54 gun frigate ; and besides being the first double decked ship that ever went to sea under the American flag, she was the first 74 that was converted in the U. S. Navy.
" She was always called a good sailor and said to behave well at sea. During her cruise in the Pacific from 1846 to 1849 she averaged 140 knots per 24 hours for 400 consecutive days." Her record also says, " Is sure in stays, stiff under canvass, inclined to gripe, and is hard on her cables." (1849-'52) " It has been recommended to dispense with the popo and top- gallant fore-castle, and ten tons of ballast ; to shorten the lower masts, and to do away with the tiller on the gun-deck, as it interferes with the work- ing of stern guns."
The good old vessel is now stationed at Mare Island Navy Yard as a receiving ship, and she is as sound in every respect as she was fifty years ago. Although the new order of ships of war have come into use, there are none that are built more substantially than the "Independence."
The seclusion of Vallejo harbor with its beautiful surroundings, is a fit retirement for this Naval Argonaut of California.
265
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
RIO VISTA.
BY L. L. PALMER, A. M.
Geography .- The township of Rio Vista is situated at the extreme north- eastern corner of Solano county. It is bounded on the north by Maine Prairie township and Yolo county, on the east and south by the Sacramento river, on the west by Montezuma and Maine Prairie township. Its bound- ary line runs as follows : Beginning at a point on Sutter slough where the Yolo county line intersects said slough; thence in a southerly direction along the bank of said slough to its junction with Steamboat slough, a dis- tance of about four miles ; thence southwesterly along the bank of Stean- boat (or Marietta) slough to its junction with Cache slough, a distance of about six miles ; thence in a southwesterly direction along the west bank of the Sacramento river to the intersection of the Montezuma township line, a distance of about twelve miles ; thence north to the intersection of the line with the south fork of Linda slough, a distance of about thirteen miles ; thence easterly along the south bank of Linda slough to its intersec- tion with Cache slough, a distance of about five miles ; thence northeasterly along the east bank of Prospect slough, a distance of about two and one-half miles ; thence east a distance of about one mile; thence north to the Yolo line, a distance of about three miles ; thence east to the point of beginning, a distance of about three and one-half miles. The entire distance around the township is fifty miles. The eastern boundary line extends along the Sacramento river and its tributaries, a distance of twenty miles. The greatest width is ten miles. The township is located in north range four, east two.
Topography .- The topography of Rio Vista Township varies from the lowest swamp and overflowed lands to the boldest hills. The swamp lands lie in the northern end of the township, extending down as far as Cache slough, and comprising several large islands. A narrow belt of the character extends entirely along the eastern side, bordering on the Sacramento river. From Cache slough southward for a distance of from one to ten miles the land is very level, and is termed locally " the plains." The surface of the country, as we go southward from the plains, begins to undulate gently ; and the further south we go the more marked and distinct do the hills become until you reach the very steepest and most abrupt of the famous Montezuma hills. From Rio Vista southward these hills come out to the
266
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
river, presenting bold bluffs, the façade of which is broken here and there with canyons and ravines. The swamp lands are comprised of what is termed " tule lands."
Geology .- The township does not present any marked geological character, yet, as far as its alluvial formation is concerned, is a study well worth the attention of the scientist. The tule lands are of a character similar to all others in the Sacramento valley, viz., an alluvial deposit intermingled with the deposits of decaying vegetation. The formation of these lands has nec- essarily been slow, and it has doubtless taken almost countless years to fill the great basins of the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers from the Granite mountains, from whence the supply must come. This loam extends from a depth of a few feet to nearly 100 feet, and the whole body of it is an hetero- geneous mass. Underneath this, and what once formed the bottom of the great inland sea, lies a stratum of argillacious clay called locally the " hard pan." The formation of the "plains " is a kind of clay, pregnant with alkali. Occasional spots of adobe also appear in this section. The hills are formed entirely of adobe, varying through all the grades of that peculiar soil. The formation of and peculiar phenomena presented by the hills would afford ample matter for a long dissertation.
Character of Soil .- The soil of the swamp districts is a rich loam, alluvial in formation, and very rich and productive. Almost all kinds of grains and vegetables thrive well. The soil of the plains is clayey, and adapted mostly to grazing, with occasionally a small spot fit for cultivation. The hills are entirely adobe, and well suited for growing grain, but of little value for other purposes.
Products .- The products of Rio Vista Township are as varied as the State of California itself. In the warm, rich loam of the lowlands are per- fect hot-beds, and produce almost everything. Grain, vegetables, fruits, berries, &c., do well. On the plains only grain grows to any extent, al- though there are some fine garden spots, where vegetables and fruits thrive with proper irrigation. The hills are adapted almost exclusively to the growing of grain. Wheat and barley are the cereals grown in this town- ship.
Climate .- The climate of the township is quite uniform-being mild, cool and pleasant. The cool and refreshing trade winds prevail during the sum- mer season, which modifies the temperature, and causes the climate to be the most salubrious.
Shipping Facilities .- Probably no township in the State enjoys such extended shipping facilities as this. The Sacramento river extends along its entire eastern and southern boundaries, while Cache, Elk, Miner, and
267
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
other sloughs extend through portions of it. Ships of any burthen can come to the very doors of the farmers and receive their products. The stage of water up the river as far as Rio Vista will accommodate vessels of any size.
Early Settlement .- So much for the general features of the township. We now pass to its settlement. The earliest record we can find of any settlement is that established by General John Bidwell, in 1844. In the case of John Bidwell vs. the U. S. Ulpinos grant, one Samuel J. Hensley testified as follows: "In the fall of 1844 I took Mr. Bidwell on board of a schooner to the land (Ulpinos, or Bidwell grant) with some hands to make a settlement. They remained there and built an adobe house, in which an Englishman, who had charge of the building, remained during the winter. The next season a small part of the land was cultivated, and in the winter of 1845-46 the house was occupied by P. B. Reading and hands." This house was located on the land now owned by Geo. H. Jenkins. The hands spoken of in the above were mostly Indians. There was quite a rancherie of them there during that and the following winter, and they were known as " Bidwell's Indians." During the year 1846, a party of emigrants arrived from the East. As this was before the days of gold, an eligible agricultural location was always sought for by these hardy pioneers-the advance ripples of the great flood-tide of immigration which was so soon destined to flow in upon the great Pacific shore. This party was induced by Bidwell to go down the Sacramento river and spend the winter on his grant, hoping to dispose of portions of it to them in the spring. The winter was a severe one on the poor settlers, and for many days during the rainy season starva- tion seemed to stare them in the face. The Indians were reduced to a fearful extremity also; and, as the days passed wearily and drearily by, their frequent exclamation was "hale-che-muk," which means nothing to eat. For years that name was applied to the Bidwell settlement, and in many of the real estate tranfers on record the grant is mentioned as the Hale-che-muk grant. In the spring of 1847 the party of immigrants left never to return to Hale-che-muk, the city (?) of starvation. Most of them passed over into the valleys on the western side of the county, and some of their descendants remain there at the present time. Perhaps, before going further in this history, it would be well to give the recorded history of the Ulpinos Grant. In 1844 General John Bidwell sent the following petition to Micheltorena, Governor and General-Commandant of the Depart- ment of the Californias, under the Mexican Government :
" MONTEREY, April 30, 1844.
" To His Excellency, the Governor :
"Juan Bidwell, native of the United States, with the most profound respect, presents himself and sets forth :
268
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
" That, having been naturalized a Mexican, and desiring to devote himself to agriculture, he beseeches your Excellency to vouchsafe to grant him the tract known by the name of 'Sillac' or ' Ulpinos,' which tract is unoccupied. It consists of four ranges (sitios) for meat cattle, as shown by the design which he duly annexes, and its boundaries are: On the N. W. unoccupied lands, to the N. E., the " Ulpinos Slough," (Estero), to the S. E., the river Sacramento, and to the S. W. unoccupied lands. Wherefore he prays your Excellency to vouchsafe to accede to this his humble petition, and give orders that said tract be adjudicated to him in colonization, wherein he will receive a grace. He makes the necessary verifications.
" JUAN BIDWELL.
" MONTEREY, April 30, 1844."
J. A. Sutter duly certified that the tract was then occupied. Upon the receipt of the petition, the Secretary suggested to the Governor that it might be well to allow the matter to remain in suspense till such time as the Governor might make a visit to the river Sacramento. Whereupon the Governor so ordered. This evidently did not satisfy Bidwell, for we find that under date of July 26, 1844, the Governor issued the following order : " Let him occupy it provisionally till I go up, when I will dispatch the business." It does not appear whether Governor Micheltorena ever paid that visit or not, but in November, 1844, he issued the following order and decree :
" MONTEREY, November, 1844.
" In view of the petition, wherewith these proceedings originate, the reports and all other things that were brought forward, and were proper to to be kept in view, conformably to the laws and regulations affecting the matter, I declare Don Juan Bidwell, a naturalized Mexican, the absolute owner of the tract known by the name of Los Ulpinos, (here follows bound, ary as above) containing four ranges (sitios) for meat cattle. Let the proper patent be issued, be entered of record in the proper book, and let these minutes of proceedings be forwarded to the most excellent the Departmental Assembly for its approval.
" His Excellency, Don Manuel Micheltorena, Brigadier-General of the Mexican Army and Adjutant-General of the staff of the same, Governor, General-Commandant and Inspector of the Department of the Californias, has so ordered, decreed, and subscribed, which I certify."
Very shortly after the above was issued from the Governor-General, he saw fit to issue to Bidwell a true grant to the rancho in due and legal form. This paper bears date of November 20, 1844. The following is a copy of the translation of that grant as filed in the office of the Clerk of the Board of Land Commissioners in San Francisco :
269
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
" First-class stamp, eight dollars. Issued provisionally by the Customs of the Port of Monterey, in the Department of the Californias, for the years 1844 and 1845.
[SEAL.]
" MICHELTORENA, " Pablo de la Guerra.
" The citizen, Manuel Michelt'a, Brigadier-General of the Mexican Army, Adjutant-General of the staff of the same, Governor, General-Commandant, and Inspector of the Department of the Californias."
Whereas, John Bidwell, a naturalized Mexican, has solicited, for his own benefit and that of his family, the tract known by the name of "Los Ulpinos," bounded at the N. W. by waste lands, at the N. E. by the Ulpinos Pond, at the S. E. by the Sacramento River, at the S. W. by waste lands, the necessary legal steps and investigations having first been duly taken, as provided by the laws and regulations, by virtue of the faculties conferred on me, in the name of the Mexican nation, I have come to grant to him the tract afore- said, declaring the same to be his property, by these presents, letters subject to the approval of the Hon. Departmental Assembly, under the following con- ditions :
Ist. He shall have no power to sell it, to alien it, to encumber it with rent-roll, lien, bond, mortgage or other encumbrance of any kind, nor shall he even have power to donate it.
2d. He may fence it without, prejudice it without, prejudice to the cross-roads, highways and rights of way, he shall enjoy it freely and exclu- sively, applying it to the use or custom which best may suit him, but within one year he shall construct a house which shall be inhabited.
3d. After confirmation to him of the title, he shall solicit from the Judge who has jurisdiction that judicial possession be given to him, by virtue of the grant, and thereby shall be marked out the boundaries, in the lines of which he shall place, beside the corner marks, some fruit or forest trees of some utility.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.