USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 31
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
The present building was erected in 1875, and is a large, neat-looking structure, being truly an ornament to the town. It is two stories high, with basement. It contains two school-rooms on the first floor, and one school- room and two rooms for library purposes on the second floor. The building is located on a quarter-block 120x120 feet, on the corner of Fifth and Mon- tezuma streets. The location is very good, and is central. The following- named persons comprise the present Board of Trustees: Dr. M. Pietrzycki, Wm. K. Squires and Wm. Ferguson. Dr. M. Pietrzycki is Clerk of the Board.
NEWSPAPERS :- On the 6th day of September, 1877, the Rio Vista Weekly Gleaner made its first appearance, being the first paper ever issued in the town. L. L. Palmer was the editor and publisher. The printing was done in Suisun, at the Solano Republican office, and conjointly with that paper. On the 22d of September, 1877, the Rio Vista Enterprise made its appear- ance. John H. Whitmore and W. A. Bushnell were proprietors and pub- lishers. They put in a news office, type, press, etc. On the 17th of April, 1878, L. L. Palmer opened an office in Rio Vista, putting in a full line of news and job type, news and job press, etc., in which the Gleaner was printed. The Gleaner was continued till February 22d, 1879, when it was discontinued, and the publisher became connected with the Solano Repub- lican at Suisun. The Enterprise continued for three months longer, and issued its last number on May 30th, 1879.
Business Directory :- Following is a full and complete business directory of the town on December 31, 1878: Bruning, Jos., warehouse; Brown, B. B., River View Hotel; Bell, P., tinsmith; Christiensen, M., wharfinger C. P. R. R .; Carter, R. C., water-works; Clarridge, Geo. A., Western Hotel; Craner, S., merchandise; Craner, A. H., merchandise; Currie, John, harness-maker; Chase, Ed., news-dealer; Davis, C., contractor and planing-mill; Davis, John, contractor and builder; Erlanger & Galinger, merchandise; Fiscus, John B., livery stable; Fraser, George, meat market; Fallman Bros., black- smiths; Ferguson, Wm,, wagon-making, etc .; Gurnee, J., saloon; Hawley, R. H., wharfinger C. T .; Hunter, R. C., drugs and medicine ; Hadley, Sam'l T., blacksmith; Halderback, Jos., blacksmith; Ingersoll, J. D., fruit and
279
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
vegetables; Johnson and Emigh, warehouse; Kiernan, Thos., undertaker; Kearney, Jas., boot-maker; Kalber, F., wagon-maker; Kelly, J. A., con- tractor and builder; Lawson, H., saloon; Malone, John A., boot-maker and Manager S. V. Tannery; Matthewson, S. R., vegetables, etc., Merritt, Chas. & Co., drugs and medicines; Miller, Louis, painter and grainer; McGrah, Dan'l, saloon; Nelson, C., saloon; Nielson, S., contractor and builder; Nesbitt, Jos., wharfinger C. S. N. Co .; Ostrander, J. D., soliciting agent; Perry, J. M., merchandise; Pond & Knox, meat market; Peterson, A. H., livery stable; Parker, Miss A. E., millinery, etc .; Pietrzycki, M., physician and surgeon; Palmer, L. L., publisher Gleaner; Roberts, G. W., saloon; Runk, Mrs. L. C., Central Hotel; Stanton, J. C., dentist; Squires, W. K., Squire's Hotel; Stumm, F. I., jeweler; Smith, Jas., saloon; Smith, J. E. T., truckman; Stoll, C. M., harness and saddlery; Sorenson, S. P., furniture; Thompson, Geo., saloon; Whitmore & Bushnell, publishers Enterprise; Westgate Bros., merchandise; Williamson, Wm., flour mill; Weslar, Geo., barber; Whit- man, D. G., plasterer; Wadsworth, Wm., fruits and vegetables; Wilcox, Ruble & Dozier, merchandise.
Official Directory :- Notary Public, M. Smyth; Justices of the Peace, J. D. Ingersoll, Lewis Chase; Constable, James Dobbins; Deputy Sheriff, John B. Fiscus; Postmaster, L. C. Ruble; W., F. & Co's agents, Westgate Bros.
The Future :- So much for the past and present of the beautiful and thriving town; a word for the future and we will close this sketch. The town is so located that it is sure to be prosperous in the years to come. There are natural advantages which but few towns possess. Cheap trans- portation is insured, and that is one great factor in the prosperity of a town. The unbounded resources of the tule lands will always pour a goodly stream of gold into its coffers. The hills will always yield a handsome income for the town. They need more industries. There is no reason why this should not become a great manufacturing center. They have every facility possi- ble. The climate is the most salubrious and healthful. The temperature is universally moderate and mild. Strong winds prevail there during the summer months, which serve to keep the atmosphere cool and refreshing.
1
280
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
SILVEYVILLE.
Geography .- Silveyville township is bounded on the north by Yolo county, on the east by Tremont township, on the south by Maine Prairie and Elmira townships, and on the west by Vacaville township. The Rio Los Putos extends along its northern boundary.
Topography .- The surface of the entire township is almost perfectly level. The land is rolling in places, but not hilly. One is reminded very much, in passing through it, of the prairies of Illinois and Iowa.
Soil .- The soil of this township is alluvial in formation and character. It is a sandy loam, for the most part, with scarcely any adobe in it. It is very fertile and productive, and the finest farms in Solano county are located here. Everything about these farms betoken thrift and prosperity.
Climate .- The climate in this township differs very materially from that in the townships in the southern parts of the county .. Here the sea baeeze is shorn of its dampness and force, and sweeps as gently over the country as a zephyr. Ordinarily the temperature is several degrees higher here than at Suisun. A person will often find a linen coat burdensome in Dixon at 4 P. M., and after a 40 minutes ride on the train arrives at Suisun, and finds that he needs an -overcoat. The wind prevails from the north more here than further south, and this wind is burdened with sultry oppres- sive heat, and also oftentimes with electricity, which seems to oppress and enervate everything. Fortunately these siroccos are not very common. The atmosphere is comparatively free from malarial poisons, and is, on that account, quite healthful.
Products .- The principal products of this township are wheat and barley. Fruits and vegetables do quite well in all parts of the township, though but little more is grown than home consumption demands, except along the line of Rio Los Putos, where are some of the finest orchards and gardens in the State. In this section oranges, figs, dates, olives, lemons and bananas thrive equal to any section of the State, and the quality is said to excel that grown in Los Angeles county.
Early Settlement .- To this township belongs the honor of having the first permanent white settler in Solano county. In 1842 Wm. Wolfskill, then a
281
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
resident of Los Angeles, secured a grant from the Mexican government for a tract of land one league in width and four leagues in length, lying on either side of Rio Los Putos. Some time during the same year he sent his brother, John R., with a band of cattle to take possession of the new grant, accord- ing to law. From this time on, an occasional settler would locate somewhere on the Rio Los Putos, until in 1852 there was quite a neighborhood, with houses, ranging from three to ten miles apart. Upon the outbreak of the gold fever the most practicable road to the mines from San Francisco passed from Benicia to Sacramento, through this settlement. For the accommoda- tion of these travelers, Elijah S. Silvey, in 1852, built a house and stock corral. He at first called his house the " Half-way House". In those early days the trail was not very well defined, and the belated traveler was liable to lose his way and wander about the plains all night. To obviate this, Silvey used to hoist a red lantern high in air every night, so that it might serve as a beacon light to the wanderer, and guide him safely into the haven of Silvey's hotel. The hardy pioneer, Silvey, came to an untimely death by accidentally falling from a porch. His widow still lives on the old site of those early scenes of the early life of California and of Solano county. The next building at this point was a blacksmith shop, built by Messrs. Wm. Dryden & Noble. On Christmas day, 1856, Geo. A. Gillespie began the foundation of a store building. From this time on Silveyville began to assume quite goodly proportions, and reached its zenith about 1865, at which time there were, perhaps, 150 inhabitants in the town. Quite early a post-office was established at this place with E. S. Silvey as post-master. It was called Putah. There was, at one time, a telegraph office there also. But all this is now among the dead past, and another quarter of a century will banish all traces of the town, and only in legend and on these pages will any knowledge of it exist.
The history of Silveyville would remain incomplete without honorable mention being made of a newspaper being published at that place, by Wm. J. Pearce. The type was set and the forms made up in Silveyville, but they were sent to Sacramento to be printed from. The paper was strongly Democratic, and soon after the editor got into a political altercation with one Dr. J. C. Ogburn, a strong Union man, in which Pearce shot the doctor, and was forced to flee the country.
DIXON .- The place to which all the business and houses of Silveyville went was Dixon. In 1868 the C. P. R. R. was completed. Seeing a probability of its completion, and realizing the fact that it was a good point at which to build a town, W. R. Ferguson purchased an acre of land from Thomas Dickson, and built a dwelling-house upon it. This was the first house built in the town. He immediately afterwards erected a stone building. On the 7th day of July, 1868, he opened his store for public
282
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
patronage. The next building was erected by Bernard Greinburg. He used it for hotel purposes. It was called the "Empire." Messrs. Eppinger & Co. were the next to engage in a mercantile enterprise in the town. The second family which located in town was that of Jasper Kattenberg. The town was named in honor of Mr. Thomas Dickson, who donated ten acres for the purposes of a depot and town site. The difference in orthography is accounted for in the fact that the first consignment of goods which came to the town were marked " W. R. Ferguson, Dixon." The spelling being simpler it was at once adopted by all. The present population is about 1,200. It was incorporated by a special Act of the Legislature during the session of 1877-8. It is a beautiful town nestled amid a grove of shady trees, which gives it a cosy and cheerful appearance. It is growing, and evidences of prosperity are visible on all sides.
Free and Accepted Masons .- Silveyville Lodge, No. 201, F. & A. M., was organized June 25, 1869, at Silveyville. It was moved to Dixon September 12, 1871. The following named gentlemen were its charter members : James W. Howard, Wm. H. Wells, H. E. McCune, John P. Kirsch, Walter Ellis, Wm. Killibrew, B. Meyer, Henry Goeffort, J. S. Garnett, Chas. Wolf, C. M. Robinson, Daniel King. The following gentlemen have been honored with the office of W. M., J. W. Howard, W. H. Wells, Jas. A. Ellis, A. Hockheimer, John Sweeney. The present membership is 65.
Royal Arch Chapter .- Dixon Chapter, No. 48, R. A. M., was organized February 9, 1875. The charter members were as follows: J. A. Ellis, A. Hockheimer, A. G. Summers, B. Ethiger, H. Eppinger. J. C. Merryfield, H. Wilcox. H. Goeffort, H. E. McCune, John Sweeney, Geo. C. Mckinley, M. Blum, Wm. Steele, D. Longmire, A. Fraser, J. C. North, J. P. Kirsch, E. M. Tyler, J. W. Sallee. The following gentlemen have been elevated to the dignity of High Priest : Jas. A. Ellis, John Sweeney, H. Eppinger, George C. McKinley. The present membership is 51.
Rebecca Degree Lodge .- Hyacinthe Rebecca Degree Lodge, No. 26, was organized May 26, 1875. The present officers are Jas. K. Vansant, N. G .; Mrs. Sarah McPherson, V. G .; Edward Weihe, R. C .; and Mrs. Nancy Van- sant, Treasurer. The present membership is 70.
I. O. O. F .- Montezuma Lodge, No. 172, I. O. O. F., was organized June 20, 1870. The following named gentlemen comprise its charter members : R. S. Mckinley, D. Mack, J. D. Carey, Wm. M. Bernard, Geo. W. Smith, Thomas Kelley, James M. Clark, John Patterson, T. A. Buckles and R. E. Hewitt. The following named gentlemen have had the honor of presiding as N. G.'s : Wm. Bernard, T. A. Buckles, R. E. Hewitt, J. Kline, A. Kirby,
283
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
R. R. Neirell, J. Fredrickson, V. A. Collins, P. Siebe, I. Rhodes, J. K. Van- sant, W. H. Northcutt, Charles Schirmer, R. C. Christian, A. J. Kasten, Edward Weihe. The present membership is 100.
Knights of Pythias .- Othello Lodge, No. 31, K. of P., was organized June 29, 1875. The following named gentlemen were charter members : E. L. H. Bibby, J. B. Bloom, S. Blum, J. R. Creighton, John Ferguson, John Fredrickson, H. Goeffort, R. D. Hopkins, D. B. Huff, Wm. Johnson, Wm. Johnson, C. W. Johnson, J. O. Johnson, J. D. Johnson, A. Levy, S. G. Little, J. P. Martin, C. J. McCoy, E. Wenfelder, H. A. Ross, E. W. Striplin, Dr. A. H. Pratt, Chas. Schirmer, F. A. Schnitzlein, P. Siebe, Wm. Simms, Wm. Straub, J. Sweeney and H. West. The following gentlemen have been honored with the office of Chancellor : R. D. Hopkins, John R. Creighton, H. A. Ross, Dr. A. H. Pratt, J F. Hamilton, S. G. Little and P. Olmstead. The present membership is about 40.
Independent Order of Good Templars :- Dixon Lodge, I. O. G. T., was organized February 5th, 1870. Following are the charter members: Mrs. Julia A. Ferguson, J. R. Beane, E. H. Beane, J. C. Graves, Thomas Pritch- ard, C. M. Daffield, J. Sullivan, Mrs. A. F. Beane, Mrs. M. Bernard, G. S. Dudley, Mrs. E. Dudley, H. MeGale, Thomas Doody, L. A. Moore and J. F. Cook. The following members have held the office of Worthy Chief Tem- plar: J. R. Beane, Mrs. F. A. Beane, J. M. Dudley, Joseph Kline, H. Ever- ingham, J. H. Peters, W. B. Wyman, Rev. George Morris, W. H. Northcutt, A. R. Storey, M. T. Sickal, J. K. Bateman, W. T. Mayne, Wm. Olmstead, Miss Ella Hoovey, George Martin, and Stewart McBride.
Ancient Order of United Workmen :- Dixon Lodge, No. 50, A. O. U. W., was organized September 11th, 1878. The present officers are: A. J. Kasten, M. W., A. J. Buckles, P. M. W., Charles Donahoe, G. F., Charles Schrivner, O. B. Ethiger, Receiver, J. M. Dinsmore, Financier, A. R. Storey, Recorder. The present membership is 27.
Bank of Dixon :- The Bank of Dixon was organized and incorporated in October, 1873, but was not opened for business until April, 1874. The authorized capital stock is $500,000. The original board of directors was as follows: J. S. Garnett, S. G. Little, James Millar, Ed. Wolfskill, Hanse Rohwer, James Porter and D. B. Huff. The presidents of the bank have been, S. G. Little, James Millar, J. C. Merryfield. The cashiers have been, Ed. Wolfskill, H. B. Sheldon, G. W. Wyman, A. J. Kasten and Robert Harkinson.
The Dixon Fire Company :- This company was organized October 15th, 1872. Their present aparatus consists of one Babcock engine, hooks, lad-
284
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
ders, and other appliances necessary to make them a very efficient depart- ment. The following gentlemen have acted as foreman: J. Fredrickson, W. A. Dashiel, E. Weihe, H. Eppinger, W. S. Hinman, George King, Owen O'Niel, George Frahm.
CATHOLIC CHURCH :- This church building was erected in 1868, by Rev. Father Auger. It is located on Second street, between A and Mayes streets. It is a frame building, 48x32, with a seating capacity of 140. From floor to ceiling is 16 feet. The ceiling is hard-finished, walls wains- coted, and finished with redwood tongued grooved and painted. The pastors who have served this church are, Rev. Fathers Auger, McNaboe, Powers, Moore, Ward and Nugent.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South :- Was organized in Solano County, in the town of Suisun and vicinity, in the year 1852 or 1853. Afterward a society was formed near the present site of Vacaville. This was called the Vacaville circuit.
A neat and substantial stone church was built at Rockville in 1858.
In 1861 the M. E. C. South built a college known as Pacific Methodist College, at Vacaville. Its first president was Rev. J. C. Stewart. After the first year Rev. W. T. Luckey, D. D., was elected president, which position he held for eight years.
Rev. J. R. Thomas, D. D., LL. D., was the next president. In 1871 this college was removed to Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, where it is now located.
Three years ago a beautiful church building was erected at Elmira. The church at Vacaville was destroyed by fire in 1877, where it was rebuilt a few months thereafter.
In the Fall of 1878 a church was purchased in Dixon, and a minister was sent by the conference to fill the pulpit. There are at present three min- isters actively engaged in the work, residing in the county. Rev. J. C. Simmons presides at the present time.
M. E. Church-Dixon and Binghamton .- In the month of March, 1858, a few persons living in and around old Silveyville desiring to worship God according to Methodistic belief and forms, organized themselves under the direction of Rev. J. W. Leach into a methodist class, which numbered twelve persons, viz .: J. W. Leach, preacher in charge; John A. Leach, Marian Leach, Ellen Proxil, Emily West, Charles West, Charles K. Seeley, Solena Seeley, John J. Reed, Joseph Reed, E. B. Reed and Wm. Reed. At the close of the year, these twelve had increased to upwards of thirty souls. They held their meetings in a school house about one mile and a quarter north of Silveyville. This was the rise of methodism in this place and its increase
.
285
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
for the first year. From 1859 to 1863, the society was without any regu- larly appointed minister, and it was with difficulty it maintained its exist- ence ; only two persons, namely, Charles and Emily West are left from the original twelve; during this period of struggling without a pastor. They worshipped in a hall over a saloon in Silveyville and were strengthened from time to time by the labors of Rev. Father White and Rev. Henry Howlit.
In 1863, J. W. Murphy was appointed to the work. He found the small band badly scattered, but, by indifatigable effort, made quite an increase in the society. He was a man of robust constitution, fiery disposition, radical in views, plain spoken-a man for the times. He was succeeded in 1865 by Rev. A. P. Hendon, who was regularly appointed to the work. A. P. Hendon reorganized, gathered in others of like faith and entered upon the field with renewed vigor. The result was success; methodism became a settled fact in this place during his pastorate. In 1866, under his management, a fine church edifice was erected in Silveyville, at a cost of four thousand three hundred dollars. A. P. Hendon was a young man of rare qualities, tall, slim and gaunt, rather eccentric, positive and thoroughly de- voted to his work. He was followed by Dr. Morrow, who, by his personal character and pastoral qualifications, endeared himself to the hearts of all. The work under him, flourished and, at the close of his two years' labor, there were ninety-eight persons connected with the church. The following year the circuit was divided, W. S. Corwin was stationed at Silveyville and S. L. Hamilton appointed to Binghamton ; little is known of the growth or struggles of the society this year, save that there was some increase in the work. Geo. Larkin succeeded W. S. Corwin in 1869. Bro. Larkin, owing to difficulties that arose in the church, did not finish the year. S. L. Ham- ilton, of Binghamton, filled the pulpit of Silveyville the last part of the year. In 1870, Bro. G. R. Belknap was appointed to Silveyville and I. B. Fish to Binghamton. The M. E. Church was moved by Bro. Belknap from Silvey- ville to Dixon, a flourishing town on the Central Pacific Railroad, three miles southeast of Silveyville, where it now stands. In 1871, the two parts of the work that had been divided were again united, and J. M. Hinmin was appointed to take charge. He labored for one year and left only forty- six on the entire work in full fellowship. He was succeeded by J. H. Peters in 1872. There was an increase during this year of twenty-nine. J. H. Peters remained on the work for three years, doing faithful service and building up the society in all its departments, at the close of his pastorate he reports seventy-seven members in full connection. Arnold was appointed his successor in September, 1875. Bro. Arnold, on account of ill health, retired before the close of the year and S. Snidery sent to complete the year. W. T. Mayne was placed over the circuit in 1876, and built an addi- tion to the parsonage with $1,000. The work proving too hard for him, at the close of the year the circuit was again divided and T. H. Woodward
286
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
was appointed to Binghamton in connection with Rio Vista; during this year the M. E. Church South was organized out of the M. E. Church, Dixon, which drew heavily upon the original society. The following year the two fractions of the work were again united and T. H. Woodward was appointed to take charge of the entire field. The work looked discourag- ing, but a sweeping revival broke out during this year, Rev. J. W. Ross was present holding meetings day and night for three weeks ; again the society sprang to its feet and persons were added daily to the church. The society at the present numbers about 100, and owns about seven thousand dollars worth of property in Dixon. Sabbath school was organized in 1863 and now numbers about seventy. Alex. McPherson is the present Superintend- ent ; Trustees : Judge Merryfield, J. M. Dudley, N. Eams, E. L. Mann, J. M. Bell, D. S. Stuart and W. R. Ferguerson.
Dixson Baptist Church. - This church was organized at Pleasant Retreat school house, Vaca Valley, Solano county, October 19, 1856. Its constituent members were: Rev. Daniel King, Rev. Joseph Roberts, William G. Fore, Thomas C. Maupin, H. E. McCune, Lewis Huchinson, Sidney C. Walker, Mrs. E. Roberts, Mrs. Susan King, Mrs. H. M. Fore, Mrs. A. R. Maupin, Mrs. M. J. Walker, Mrs. Sarah J. Williams, Mrs. Barbara B. McCune. Rev. J. Roberts preached a sermon from I Peter, 2, 4, 5. " To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God and prec- ious. Ye also as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priest- hood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." The text seemed a truly prophetic one, and, together with the earnest ser- mon, was attended by the Divine blessing to the little band of humble be- lievers, which, like a river of life, clear as crystal, has never ceased to flow, The church had the ministerial labors of Revs. Roberts and King, until June. 1857, when the latter was chosen pastor, in which relation he was held with much love and esteem until the time of his death, which occurred at Dixon, October 3, 1877. This venerable servant of God was thus the leader of this church for more than twenty years, and was an example to them in faith, in perseverence, in well-doing, in sacrificing for Christ and his cause. In the organization Lewis Huchinson was chosen Secretary and Sidney Walker Deacon.
The school house was used as a meeting house until January, 1860, when the Hall of the Academy in Vacaville, the property of Rev. Mr. Anderson, was obtained as a meeting place for one Saturday and Sunday in each month, for the sum of fifty dollars per year. The church held its meetings there until March 1861, then moved to the Dry Slough school house, which then stood near the present Batavia. In this place, regular monthly meetings were held. At the meeting of the church, held April, 1861, a report of a com- mittee, consisting of H. E. McCune and T. S. Bayley, of the Baptist Church, and Rev. Mr. Fairbairn and Mr. G. B. Stevenson, Esq., of the Presbyterian
287
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Church, O. S., together with one outside party, whose name we do not find, submitted a report, consisting of a written agreement to build a meeting house at Silveyville, to be owned and used jointly by the two denominations. This report was adopted by both churches, and work of building went on. This house was dedicated on the third Sunday in November, 1861, Rev. Dr. Peck, of the Presbyterian Church, and Rev. D. King, of the Baptist Church officiating. These denominations held this property in partnership, with great harmony, until May, 1868, when the Baptists bought the half interest of the Presbyterians, and became sole proprietors of the property. This was the home of the Baptist Church, where their labors were greatly blessed, until October, 1876, when the church dedicated its brick building at the town of Dixon, where it still holds its meetings.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.