USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 40
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
362
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Colonel, along with his eldest son, en route to the San Jaoquin valley, finally reaching Stockton one week after leaving San Francisco. The description of the city of Stockton, as it then was, is worthy of being quoted : "The inhabitants were employed : some in gambling, others in prayer, and every diversity of occupation. Some of those who were the strongest advocates of temperance, when in the Eastern States, might here be seen dealing out liquor with greater vigor than all the others of
the same profession. Shoemakers by trade would here be lawyers by occupation. The mud was knee-deep, and most of the inhabitants ap- peared as though they liked it too well to brush it off, and to wash their faces or comb the hair, that they considered was a once-a-month job." In this canvass cosmopolitan city, the Hubbs', father and son, purchased a camping outfit of frying-pan, bean-kettle, coffee-pot, cups and plates of tin, butcher knife and other necessary impedimenta and started for the Stanis- laus river, which they reached on the second day, crossing at Hyslop's Ferry and camped at Texas Jack's ranch, where they were entertained by " Big Mouth Bill," "Three-fingered Jack," and others of like kith. Here he located 640 acres of land, three miles above Texas Jack's, opposite Cotton's Ferry, and named it Camp Washington, the ford being called Hubbs' Ford. These acres are now known as the rising town of Oakdale. Here a house of six feet square, composed of rushes, closed in on the eastern and southern sides, was erected; and, though it did not keep out the wild beasts, with which the country then abounded, it served the necessary purpose of a shelter. These two carefully nurtured gentlemen here commenced the veritable hardships of a pioneer's life, trees com- menced to drop under their untiring axes, a vegetable garden was planted and then he sent for his wife and children and went to Stockton to re- ceive them, but the usually trim Colonel was scarcely recognizable in his slouch hat, grown beard and carelessly tied neck-handkerchief. The warm and affectionate heart still was there, however, and as proper arrange- ments as could be made in those days were perfected, and the family pro- ceeded to their home on the Stanislaus, Mrs. Hubbs being the first white lady to cross its waters, where they were received with much joy by their eldest boy. So great a novelty was the appearance of a lady on the Stanislaus, that the news of her arrival spread like wild-fire, and she was visited by hundreds of rough looking miners who, notwithstanding their uncouth exterior, held soft and warm hearts within, and would feel quite homesick in the presence of the fair gentlewoman. While he lived in Tuolumne county, which then swarmed with horse thieves, assassins and outlaws, their house was often the haven where the outraged traveler sought protection, which was always obtained, while in the sketch from which this memoir is condensed, we gather that that desperado, Joaquin Murietta, was, under an assumed name, a constant visitor at his house ;
363
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
judge of the surprise on recognizing the head of the outlaw as the same individual who had so often petted his children and partaken of his hospitality.
In 1850, Colonel Hubbs entered public life in California, as Alcalde, or Justice of the Peace, for Tuolumne; and, in the following year, he was elected to the Senate, by the Democratic party from Tuolumne county, and, in December, 1851, he with his family arrived at Vallejo, then the State Capital, ready to enter upon his Senatorial duties. Col. Hubbs fol- lowed the fortunes of the Legislature on its cruises in search of a perma- nent location; he fought hard against every bill which favored the removal of the capital, as he considered it an unnecessary expense to the State. To him is the credit due of introducing the Bill entitled " Providing Revenue for the support of the Government of this State," one of the most popular bills of the time, although it had some enemies. He was also in connection with the Honorable Frank Soule, the framer of the bill which was enacted and which formed the basis of the existing laws encourag- ing the system of education for the young at general expense, which is so great a pride to the State. Col. Hubbs was President, pro tem., of the Senate, and, while occupying the Chair of that body, performed an act for which, to this day, the citizens of San Francisco feel grateful, for having saved much to her, as also it did to the State, when the first of the bulkhead scheme's bill came up on its final passage. His was the casting vote which was given in favor of the city of San Francisco and against the project of throwing the whole water front of that city into the hands of speculators. Colonel Hubbs was one of the most industri- ou's of Senators, he worked earnestly in the cause of education, for which he was afterwards rewarded by being placed at the head of the Educa- tional Department, State Superintendent of Public Instruction ; but it is not only in this sphere alone in which he shone, the Acts he laid before the House are too numerous to mention in this place, suffice it to say that they were all devised for the benefit of the State. He had at heart the design to enact just and wholesome legislation, that served alike for the best interest of the agriculturist as well as the miner; while he had the forethought to make the foundation for the preparatory necessities of the large influx of population which afterwards found its way to the shores of California. During his tenure of office as State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the number of schools in the State, in three years, in- creased from twenty to three hundred and sixteen, while the advance in attendance was from three thousand three hundred and fourteen to twenty-six thousand one hundred and sixty. Many of his friends desired to renominate him for a second term, while others wished that he should become a candidate for the United States Senate, both of which he de- . clined, favoring an intimate friend, Andrew J. Moulder, to be his successor.
.
364
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
At the death of his wife, which took place on September 30, 1856, Colonel Hubbs retired from public life and, having visited Puget Sound, he set- tled at Port Townsend, Washington Territory, following his profession of attorney and counsellor at law ; he succeeded in building up a large prac- tice and was known throughout the Territory as one of its most eminent lawyers and statesmen. In 1860, he was elected to the Territorial Council, representing the counties of Jefferson, Clalm Island and What- com. In the following year he was chosen President of the Council and, in 1866, he was prominently spoken of as a probable candidate for Congress ; business, however, called him to California, and he ultimately located at Vallejo. While a resident of this city, he was one of its mov- ing spirits, he occupied many positions of trust ; to him is due, in a great measure, the establishment of an Episcopal Church in Vallejo. On Tues- day, November 17, 1874, at noon, he was, to all appearances, well, shortly after he was taken ill, and at five minutes to two, in the afternoon of that day, he died, honored by all ; respected by all ; loved by all, and without an enemy.
Colonel Hubbs married Miss Eliza Hedelius, in 1830, daughter of Capt. Hedelius, who fought with Paul Jones on the Bon Homme Richard, to join whom he ran away from an English University. They leave Paul Kinsey, born near Nashville, Tennessee, on September 20, 1832. He is now a resident of Washington Territory. Anthony was born in Lyons, April 4, 1832 ; is now book-keeper in the State Controller's office at Sac- ramento; Virginia, born in 1841; Charles Henry, born September 17, 1843, now of Vallejo. In 1857 Col. Hubbs married secondly Margaret Gilchrist, at Benicia, by whom he had Bayard Ingersoll, born October 19, 1858, and Helen May, born May, 1862.
HUBBS, CHARLES H., third son of the Hon. Paul K. Hubbs, was born in Pennypack, now a portion of the City of Philadelphia, on September 17, 1843, and accompanied his parents, in the ship "Susan G. Owens," leav- ing Philadelphia May 3d, and arriving in San Francisco October 12, 1849. He first attended Doctor Vermehr's school, then the only one in that city. During the legislative sessions of 1852 and 1853 was Page of the Assem- bly, being Chief Page in the latter year, with Virgil C. Bartlett and Wil- liam Fosbender as assistants. During these sessions he received ten dol- lars a day as compensation, and out of the salary saved, a sum of twenty- five hundred dollars, which was invested for him by his father, the inter- est paying for his schooling and other necessaries. Was educated at the Collegiate Institution, Public School, and High School of Benicia, and in 1857 entered the telegraph service as messenger in the Benicia office. During the fall of the year he came to Vallejo, for the purpose of instructing W. W. Chapman in the art of telegraphy, and in April, 1858, when the
365
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Northern Telegraph was being constructed from Marysville to Yreka, by Messrs. Strong and Hubbard, he accepted a position on that line, being the first operator at Tehama, where he taught Charles Harvey. While there was promoted to be Chief Operator on the line. From thence he proceeded to Horsetown, where he was preceptor in telegraphy to Judge James N. Eby, and after Frank W. Blake at Weaverville, Trinity county, whence he returned home, having resigned his position. He next went to Shaw's Flat and there received propositions to proceed to Napa to open the office of the line which was being extended from Vallejo to that city. This he, however, only held for a few weeks, when he was called by his father to accompany him to Washington Territory. In 1865, when James Gamble, the General Superintendent, was extending telegraphic communication from California through Oregon and Washington Terri- tory, to meet the Collins' line, which was proposed should cross at Behr- ings Straits to Asia, Mr. Hubbs again entered the telegraph service, and was appointed agent at the Swinomish station, which was the office where all the business between the offices north of that station had to be repeated. In 1868 he was transferred to Fort Vancouver, and here purchased a book- store, which business he followed, in conjunction with that of telegraphy and photography. In 1869 he sold out his book-store and proceeded to Stockton, Sacramento, and Marysville, in the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Co., when, in October, 1870, he was installed as Manager of the Vallejo office.
In 1875 Mr. Hubbs was appointed a Notary Public by His Excellency Governor Irwin, and reappointed in 1877. In the following year he was selected by Governor Robinson Commissioner of Deeds for New York.
In 1876 he was elected a member of the Board of Education for Val- lejo Township, and took strong grounds against excessive taxation and in favor of promoting the advancement of the educational interests of Val- lejo, which was appreciated by his constituents, who re-elected him, giv- ing him the largest vote of any candidate who had opposition for office.
HUNTER, JAMES-Is a native of Ireland, but of Scotch parentage, who had moved to the place of his nativity a few years previous to his birth, on March 27, 1827. In 1840 his parents emigrated to America, settling near Cedar Rapids, Linn county, Iowa ; where James was educated in the com- mon schools. On May 1, 1849, Mr. Hunter and his brother left Iowa City, Iowa, crossed the Plains, arrived at Lawson's rancho on the 23d of Octo- ber following. During that winter he prospected for gold at Bidwell's Bar, and meeting with fair success, but left the place the following spring, going to Feather River, where his mining operations were more remune- rative. In 1851 he located on the southeast branch of Feather River, but in the fall of that year moved to Shasta county, Cal., and was the pro-
366
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
prietor of a feed and sale stable. From here he came to Vallejo township, settling on his present farm in the Suscol hills. Here he owns 844 acres of fertile valley land, and in Mendocino county 3,500 acres, as well as a saw-mill and store.
From the foregoing it will be seen that the subject of this sketch is connected, by direct descent, with the best Scottish blood, and came hon- estly by the virtues which have characterized and advanced his private life. He was never actively engaged in politics, but during his long resi- dence and business career in this county, is regarded as an excellent citi- zen, a quiet, energetic business man, enjoying the marked respect and esteem of his neighbors and friends.
Married, by the Rev. Pierpoint, Presbyterian minister, at Petaluma, Sonoma county, Cal., Miss Celia, daughter of Samuel C. Stewart, on Oct. 25, 1858. James William, born Aug. 5, 1859, Flora J. born Aug. 16, 1861, Sarah A. born April 20, 1863, Harry S. born Feb. 4, 1873, Alena Maud born Sept. 12, 1875, are their living children. Maggie Bell, born Oct. 12, 1865, died April 1, 1877 ; Frank Guss, born Jan. 27, 1868, died March 22, 1877 ; John Calvin, born Sept. 19, 1870, died March 23, 1877. These children died of small pox.
JEFFERIS, P. E .- Born in Chester county, Pa., in the year 1828, where he remained till 1846, having learned the trade of carpenter at Union, in that county. He then removed to Wilmington, Delaware, and having resided there for eighteen months went to Philadelphia and engaged in the dry goods business until 1851, when he came to California, arriving in San Francisco on February 8, 1852. In that year he went to Nevada county, and for eighteen months prosecuted mining, at the end of which he returned to Philadelphia and embarked in the furniture business, con-' tinuing it up to the spring of 1854, when he once more sailed for Califor- nia. On his arrival he proceeded to Sierra county, leaving it in the fol- lowing summer for Nevada county, where he commenced the livery busi- ness, which he prosecuted for about fourteen years. On February 8, 1869, he visited Vallejo, but it was not till May, 1870, that he permanently settled in that city, when he obtained employment on Mare Island Navy Yard, at which he was engaged till 1874, when he received the appoint- ment of Foreman House-Joiner, in the Department of Yards and Docks, a position which he still holds. Mr. Jefferis married in Philadelphia, on September 26, 1854, Sarah, daughter of John Hinecle, of that city, by whom he has Ida Florence ; Lizzie H .; Mary L .; and Enos P.
JONES, REV. EDWARD INSKIP, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, December 3, 1844,and came to San Francisco in May, 1850, where he attended the Pub- lic Schools, continuously, till May, 1856. He accompanied his parents to
367
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
San Jose, in 1862, whither they had gone to farm. Mr. Jones attended the "University of the Pacific." at Santa Clara, and taught school over two years, at intervals, between 1862 and 1867. Had ministry in view, and made preparations, while at college and during his teachings, but began the study of law in May, 1867, at San Francisco. Was admitted to the Supreme Court of California in April, 1870, and practiced in that city till September, 1871, at which time he joined the California Confer- ence of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Was appointed to Ferndale, September, 1871 ; to Eureka, September, 1873, and to Vallejo, Septem- ber, 1876. Mr. Jones married October 8, 1876, Theresa I., daughter of A. F. Broderick, of Eureka, Humboldt county, who was born in Colches- ter, Nova Scotia, on March 1, 1861, by whom he has one child, Broderick, born February 14, 1878.
KENNEDY, JOHN E., general merchandise, insurance agent and notary public, was born in the county of Kerry, in Ireland, in 1833. In 1849 he emigrated to America, settling in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1854 he arrived in California, and in 1856 proceeded to Mare Island. Two years later he returned to Boston on a visit, but came back the same year. In 1867 his present business was first established, and he was enrolled a notary public in 1876. Mr. Kennedy was the first assessor after Vallejo received its charter; while he is agent for the Imperial of London, London of London, Northern of Liverpool, and Queen of Liverpool fire insurance companies, with aggregate cash assets of $38,000,000. In 1863 he married Catherine, daughter of John Deermy, of County Tyrone, Ireland, who was born in 1843, by whom he has no issue.
KITTO, SAMUEL, is a native of Cornwall, England, having been born there on April 19, 1830. In 1851 he came to San Francisco, in the ship "Fairlie," of London. On his arrival he at once proceeded to Rich Bar, on the North Fork of Feather River, and began mining, remaining there till 1858, when he paid a visit to Old England, being absent for eight months. He returned to his mining interests in 1859; after which he came to Vallejo, where he has since resided. Mr. Kitto has been a trustee of the M. E. Church since 1869; is also a prominent mover in the Temperance cause, in which he has always taken a deep interest. In 1873 he was elected one of the trustees of the Good Templars' Home for Orphans, a position which he still holds. He married in Vallejo, May 9, 1861, Miss Margaret Carter, a native of Ireland, by whom he has Margaret Loftee, born April 5, 1862; Edward August, born May 29, 1864; Harriet Eliza- beth, born November 27, 1865; Samuel Henry, born October 10, 1868; and Lilian May, born April 30, 1873.
.
368
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
KLINK, REV. NATHANIEL B., pastor First Presbyterian Church, Vallejo, was born in the townhsip of New Scotland, county of Albany, State of New York, on February 5, 1823. His early education was ob- tained in the public schools. He spent three years in the Albany Acade- my, when Dr. T. Romeyn Beck was principal, and entered Union College in 1845, and graduated July 26, 1847. In the Fall of 1848 he entered the Theological Seminary of Princeton, and graduated from that institu- tion in May, 1851. From this latter seminary he went directly to Oneida Valley, where he passed one year in missionary labor. Thence he moved to West Galway, Saratoga County, where he remained until June, 1853, when he was called to the Presbyterian Church of Balston Spa, where he was ordained and installed as pastor. Resigned this charge in 1855, and was then called to the Presbyterian Church in Fairmount, Huntendon County, New Jersey, remaining there until December, 1859, when he re- signed this charge and came to California. He arrived in San Francisco with his family on December 26, 1859, but, remaining there only a few days, at once proceeded to Vallejo, where he has since resided, with the exception of one year and three months, when he was acting-pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Sacramento. Mr. Klink married, in 1853, Eliza- beth, daughter of Timothy Seymour, a deacon in the North Dutch Church, Albany, New York, by whom he has a family.
KLOPPENBURG, DANIEL WILLIAM, was born in Hanover, Germany, November 16, 1822, where he remained till 1840, when he came to America, first settling in New York City. Here he remained till August, 1846, and then joined Colonel Stevenson's regiment, which was bound for California, but was persuaded by his brother not to proceed with it. On August 2, 1846, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and in partnership with his brother opened a saloon in that city, which he continued till April 2, 1849, when he sailed for California, in the steamer "Lewis," of Cincinnati, for St. Louis, Missouri, and thence went to St. Joseph, Missouri, in com- pany with three men who were to be his companions across the plains. On arriving at St. Joseph, however, the party broke up and their impedi- mento sold at auction. Mr. K. reserved to himself one mule, and, having purchased a horse, using the mule as a pack animal, started on horseback to cross the plains to California alone. After three days' travel he over- took a party of Bostonians, and kept in their company until he reached Fort Laramie. Here the whole cavalcade converted their train into one for pack animals, setting fire to the wagons, with such articles as could not be conveniently taken with them, and again started on their journey, he traveling with them till they made Smith's trading post on Bear River, where, seceding from the party, he proceeded alone to Green River, Indian Territory. While pursuing his solitary ride he was taken seriously
369
. THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
ill, and for three days lay in the sage-brush. Fortunately he soon re- covered, and finding his animals had not strayed from his vicinity, he once more was on the move, and when nearing the fifty mile desert at the Sink of the Humboldt River he fell in, by chance, with a single traveler from St. Louis. With him he crossed the weary waste, the two keeping company till they reached the Golden State.
Mr. Kloppenburg first began mining at Wever Creek, near Hangtown (now Placerville), where he continued for a short time, and then went to Sacramento, and there remained till the Spring of 1850, when he moved to Marysville; from thence to Rough and Ready mines, in Nevada County, and here engaged in mining with good success till 1851, when he returned to Marysville and entered into partnership with a Mr. Kennedy, in the bakery business. In the Fall of 1851 he went to Greenwood Valley, El Dorado County, and pursued mining operations till the Spring of 1852, when, in company with others, he took up a claim at Spanish Bar, on the American River, where he worked till driven away by the rainy season. He again commenced the bakery business at Spanish Bar Bridge, which he continued till early in 1853, at which time he went to Michigan Bluffs, in Placer County, and established a like connection at that place, continu- ing it till 1856, when he left for San Francisco. In the Summer of 1857 Mr. K. proceeded to Sacramento, where, on August 3, 1857, he married Margaret A. Harrison. He then returned to Michigan Bluffs, bought back his former business, and in connection with it opened a hotel, which he carried on till 1867, during which time his establishments were twice burned. In this year the subject of this sketch returned to San Fran- cisco and started a grocery, which he managed till 1868, when he removed to South Vallejo, and engaged principally in the draying business. Mr. Kloppenburg is a member of the Vallejo Pioneer Association, and of the Naval Lodge of F. and A. M., No. 83. His children are Annie, Otto and William, and two deceased-Eddie and Etta.
LAMONT, JAMES A., born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, in 1842, July 9th, where he resided for the first six years of his life, after which he was taken by his parents to Little Rock, Arkansas, and remained there two years, thence moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and afterward to Boone county, Kentucky, where he resided for five years. Came to this county with his parents in 1854, where he engaged in farming for several years. In 1865 Mr. Lamont graduated at the Benicia College and Law School, and was admitted to the bar, practiced in Napa and Grass Valley, Nevada county, for a year and a half, when he returned to Nashville, to wind up the estate of his parents, remaining there three years. In 1869 he re- turned, and in September of the following year purchased the interest of J. E. Williston, and became partner in the firm of Egery & Lamont. He
24
370
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
married, in San Francisco, January 17, 1878, Miss Sara D. Barry, a native of New York, who was born in December, 1853, by whom he has one son, James Barry.
MALLETT, GEO. F., Assistant Naval Constructor. Born in the town of Topsham, Lincoln county, Maine, October 23, 1832, where he remained until 1849. He learned his trade, that of shipwright, at Bath, Maine, where he remained until October, 1856, when he emigrated west and set- tled in Berlin, Wis., remaining there twenty months, when he returned East, and on June 5, 1858, he sailed from New York, on the steamer " Moses Taylor," to the Isthmus, where he took the steamer "John L. Stephens," arriving in San Francisco June 28th of the same year, follow- ing his trade in San Francisco and Benicia until November 20, 1861, at which time he came to Mare Island, and on March 14, 1870, he was ap- pointed Foreman Shipwright, when, on January 22, 1872, he was ap- pointed Assistant Naval Constructor, which position he still holds, giving satisfaction to all. Mr. Mallett married his first wife, Mary D. Hilton, in Bath, Maine, January 29, 1854. She was born in Maine in 1826, and died July 26, 1859. Married his present wife, Mary E. Speck, February 22, 1863, by whom he has Mary E., born April 24, 1864; Lena B., born August 13, 1867, and died December 28, 1877 ; Carrie W., born March 31, 1869; George F., born September 19, 1872 ; Levi C., born July 26, 1874, and William H., born September 25, 1876. Mr. Mallett is a member of the F. and A. M. Lodge, No. 87, and also Past Master of same institution, as well as Past High Priest of the Naval Chapter. He was appointed to select the Masonic Cemetery, and has very prominently identified him- self with other orders.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.