History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 24

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 24


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


Vallejo Masonic Hall Association .- At a regular meeting of Naval Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M., held at their hall in Vallejo on April 19, A. D. 1866, the following named persons were elected trustees to organize, incor- porate and manage the affairs of a joint-stock company, for the purpose of erecting a Masonic hall building in Vallejo, and that the names of the Trus- tees be P. D. Grimes, J. M. Rutan, Joseph L. Likins, Philip Hichborn, and Eben Hilton.


The capital stock of the association was $8,000, divided into 320 shares of the par value of $25. The number of trustees, as provided in the Articles of Incorporation, to direct the affairs of the association for three months, was five; and the names of those gentlemen were these above-named.


The annual meeting of stockholders was held on the second Wednesday evening in January, for their election.


At the regular meeting of the stockholders the representation of at least a majority of the stock issued was necessary for the transaction of business. No shareholder could serve as a trustee unless he was a Master Mason in


218


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


good standing, and was a member of some lodge within thirty miles of Vallejo, and the holder of at least two shares of stock.


Dividends of the profits of the association were declared annually, at a regular meeting of the trustees. The By-Laws also provided that a divi- dend of the profits should not be declared to exceed 12 per cent. per annum on the capital stock issued. It was provided that all revenues exceeding 12 per cent. per annum be reserved as a sinking fund for the redemption of the capital stock, and that Naval Lodge No. 87 shall have all the benefit of this sinking fund for the purpose of redeeming the stock of the association.


Naval Lodge, No. 87, by the By-Laws, was to have the full control of the hall, ante-rooms, entrance-hall to the same, and all the upper part of the building, for the term of its existence, to occupy, lease, and rent the same, by paying to the association a monthly rent of twenty dollars, and a free lease of so much of lots seven and eight, at the corner of Virginia and Marin streets, as might be needed for the building and its uses. Three hun- dred and eighteen shares of the stock were issued and fully paid up, and the building was erected in the fall of 1866 by A. Powell, contractor, and A. H. Gunning, architect and superintendent. P. D. Grimes and Eben Hilton, at the election, were chosen president and treasurer, respectively ; and A. P. Voorhees, secretary of the first Board.


At the annual meeting held January 23, 1867, P. D. Grimes, J. M. Rutan P. Hichborn, Eben. Hilton and A. Powell, vice J. L. Likins, were chosen Trustees. The new Board organized by electing the officers of the previous year, who were nominated to fill the same position year by year until 1871. In November, 1870, Mr. P. Hichborn, who was about to leave for the East- ern States, resigned, and at the regular annual meeting in the January fol- lowing, Messrs. P. D. Grimes, A. Powell, A. P. Voorhees, N. G. Hilton and John M. Browne were elected Trustees, Messrs. Grimes, Voorhees and N. G. Hilton being President, Treasurer and Secretary. On January 17, 1872, the same Trustees were elected, save Dr. J. M. Browne, whose place was filled by Alexander Hichborn, the same officers serving as on the previous, year. January 8, 1873, the same Board directed the affairs of the Associa- tion, excepting A. Hichborn, who was succeeded by J. M. Rutan, the same officers officiating. At the elections held on January 14, 1874, and 25, 1875, there was no change in the direction. On January 12, 1876, Mr. Powell gave place to Mr. Charles Daly, while on that of January 19, 1877, Dr. I. S. Halsey was elected in the place of Mr. Daly, no other change being made. An adjourned meeting was convened on February 11, 1878, when the following were elected Trustees : I. S. Halsey, George F. Mallett, J. M. Rutan, John Brownlie and George W. Simonton, Messrs. Rutan, Brownlie and Simonton being subsequently called upon to fill the res- pective positions of President, Treasurer and Secretary, while on January 14, 1879, no change was made save by filling Dr. Halsey's place on the Board by the return of C. T. B. Hallin.


219


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


The Masonic and Odd Fellows Cemetery Association of the City of Val- lejo .- The preliminaries to the incorporation of the above Association were instituted in January, 1875, when Naval Lodge, No. 87, F. and A. M .; Solano Lodge, No. 229, F. and A. M .; San Pablo Lodge, No. 43, I. O. O. F., and Golden State Lodge, No. 216, I. O. O. F., appointed a Committee consisting of the following gentlemen, viz .: George F. Mallett, to represent Naval Lodge; Frank E. Brown, to represent Solano Lodge; Anson Clark, to represent Golden State Lodge, and Sylvester Warford, to represent San Pablo Lodge; authorizing them to select and enter into a contract for the purchase of a tract of land suitable for a cemetery for the exclusive use of Masons and Odd Fellows, to inter the remains of their brethren and their wives and children.


In pursuance with that authority, the Committee seclected a tract of land owned by Ira Austin, containing about fifteen acres, and made their report to the various Lodges, who reappointed the same gentlemen to serve as a Committee, with power to add a fifth member whereby a Board of Trustees should be constituted, with power to enter into and incorporate the Masonic and Odd Fellows Cemetery Association of the City of Vallejo.


In accordance with instructions, the Committee met at the office of S. G. Hilborn, Esq., on February 20, 1875, and appointed Peter D. Grimes as Trustee, after which a Board was organized with the following officers : P. D. Grimes, President ; Anson Clark, Treasurer ; and George F. Mallett, Secretary. On February 23, 1875, the Articles of Incorporation were re- ceived from the Secretary of State, the text of which is given below, stating the object for which the Association is formed, and authorizing Messrs. Grimes, Clark, Warford, Brown and Mallett to serve as Trustees until their successors be elected and qualified.


ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE MASONIC AND ODD FELLOWS CEME- TERY ASSOCIATION OF THE CITY OF VALLEJO.


1. The name of the corporation is the Masonic and Odd Fellows Ceme- tery Association of the City of Vallejo.


2. The purpose for which it is formed is to purchase and hold a tract of land near the City of Vallejo, in Solano county, State of California, and to establish and maintain a cemetery thereon.


3. That its principal place of business is the City of Vallejo, Solano county, California.


4. That the term for which it is to exist is fifty years.


5. That the number of its Directors or Trustees be five.


The annual meeting for the election of Trustees and the transaction of general business is held on the last Tuesday in the month of March, and it is ordained that no person may be a Trustee unless he be a Mason or Odd


220


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Fellow in good standing, or the owner of a lot. Each Lodge is entitled to a vote for the election of a Trustee, a like privilege being also held by the lot owners.


St. Vincent's Benevolent Society .- This Society is formed for the purpose of promoting each other's temporal. and spiritual welfare; for affording spiritual consolation and substantial aid to its members in time of sickness, and securing to them, after death, decent and Christian interment, in accord- ance with the faith of the Holy Catholic Church ; for the performance of works of mercy and charity towards distressed persons of the parish, and encouraging each other, by good example, in the duties of Christian life, and, above all, the exercising of a spirit of fraternal charity. The establishment of this most meritorious association was effected on February 3, 1867, having, for its first officers : John Louis Daniel, O. P., Chaplain ; Michael S. Derwin, President ; Daniel J. Brennan, Vice-President ; John L. Daniel, O. P., Bursar; Michael J. Cunningham, Secretary; the members of the Council, being: James Doyle, Edward McGettigan, Lawrence Walsh, Hugh Cunningham, John Perryman, Daniel Wynn, James McGarvey, John Cron- nin and John Kennedy. The organizers of the St. Vincent's Benevolent Society, were : Lawrence Walsh, Ed. McGettigan, Hugh Cunningham, D. J. Brennan, Thomas Lynch, Patrick Crawley, Thos. Woods, Daniel Hayes, Jas. McGarvey, Edward O'Malley, Peter Lyden, John Leary, Benjamin Martin, Thos. Ryan, Peter Bourke, Robert Casey, Charles White, John Walsh, Henry Buckland, Anthony Murray, W. J. Cunningham, James Doyle, Thos. Gan- non, Thos. Grannen, John Casey, Owen. Behan, H. B. Hendrickson, John Crannin, John McManus, Thos. Hollern, Daniel Wynn, Thos. Kenney, Pat- rick O'Malley, John Mullin, John McGuire, Richard Walsh, John Kennedy, John Perryman, Nicholas Clavo, Richard Palmer, Edward Lynch, Bartholo- mew Turner, Patrick Kelly, Patrick Lynch, John Hurley, Joseph Sullivan, Patrick Murphy, Lawrence Barry, Patrick Crotty, Henry Knowles, John Brennan, Thos. Carroll, Patrick Delehunty, Chas. Cunningham, Angus McInnes, Denis Driscol, Wm. Browier, Wm. Flynn, Michael Sullivan, James Toland, Patrick Tracy, John Wise, James Lane, C. Quinlan Henry McCul- lough, T. J. Baldwin, Daniel Donovan, Lawrence Dempsey. Honorary Members - Michael Derwin, Edward C. Doran, Lieut. F. Harrington, John Drennan, John O'Grady, Patrick Londregan, and Mrs. Lawrence Walsh.


It is gratifying to announce that this Society is in a most prosperous con- dition, financially, and otherwise. The office bearers for the present term, are : P. C. Lynch, President ; M. L. Kelly, Vice-President; John Cunning- ham, Secretary ; Council Members - Robert Couerdale, Patrick Tracy, Charles Barr, James Costello, Hugh Cunningham, Thomas Smith, James McGarvey, Nicholas Clavo, James Mitchell, Timothy Conners, Thomas Reed. The number of active members are 127; Life Members, 1, with 3 Honorary Members.


221


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Vallejo Post Office .- This office comes under the second-class post offices of the United States, and carries with it a salary of $2,100 per annum. It is also a money order office, transacting business in domestic, British, and Italian orders. It receives and despatches seven mails per day : Mails from San Francisco and Sacramento twice a day, and Eastern mails every even- ing. Issues about 2,500 money orders, amounting to about $60,000 a year, and pays about $6,000 in the same time. The first money order issued was dated May 20, 1867 ; while the date of the first one paid was the 27th of the same month. This post office registers on an average 1,100 letters in a twelve-month ; receives about 800 letters daily and forwards nearly the same number; has 400 lock-boxes; while the total receipts for stamps, etc., is in the vicinity of $5,000 yearly. The present officers. in charge of this establishment are M. J. Wright, Postmaster, and W. F. Wright, Deputy, gentlemen of much merit and extreme courtesy. Appended is a list of appointments, obtained from the Post Office Department at Washington, since the establishment of the office at Vallejo: Eleazer Frisbie, January 19, 1855 ; Wm. W. Chapman, March 3, 1857 ; Joseph S. McIntyre, May 28, 1860; Edson J. Wilson, June 28, 1861; Edwin H. Sawyer, January 27, 1864 ; George P. Wescott, June 17, 1864; Edson J. Wilson, Deeem- ber 27, 1865; James E. Ryan, June 5, 1868; Miss Mary J. Falls, April 16, 1869 ; Edson J. Wilson, October 23, 1869; Martin J. Wright, December 10, 1873, reappointed January 25, 1878.


HOMESTEAD ASSOCIATIONS .- Of all the important features necessary to be observed in the progress of a rapidly-rising city, the organization of home- stead associations is one which bears a satisfactory impress, for these, by consolidated capital and united effort, place it within the reach of every industrious person to obtain a tract of land that he can call his own, where- on he may ereet that typical castle which is usually held to be sacred against the aggressions of the outside world. By a payment of a small sum into the capital stoek, and the disbursement of a trifling amount in stated assessments, one and all may, through this channel, which is within the grasp of each and every one, become, in a short time, the possessor of a site for a homestead free from encumbranees of any kind. To the proprietors or shareholders, associations of this nature have always been of benefit ; while the advance of real estate, secured in this manner, has been marked and rapid, the investments in nearly all instances having proved safe and profitable.


The Vallejo Homestead Association was incorporated on April 25, 1867, under the direet auspices of the following gentlemen: Elisha Whiting, George W. Simonton, J. F. Smith, William C. Root, H. B. Bell, M. L. Torn- bohm, and Sanford C. 'Baker; Mr. Whiting being elected President, and Mr. Simonton Secretary and Treasurer.


·


222


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


The capital stock of the Association was $27,000, and was to continue in existence for the term of three years, from and after the date and the filing of the certificate, as above stated.


Each member taking a share of stock paid into the treasury two dollars on each share taken, as a fund for defraying the current expenses of the Association, and five dollars per month, in advance, on each share, to be known as the "Homestead Fund," to be used in the purchase of land and improvements thereon.


At the regular monthly meeting, held July 13, 1867, an election of officers was held, resulting in the returning of E. Whiting, President; G. W. Simon- ton, Secretary and Treasurer, and five Directors, viz : J. F. Smith, H. K. Snow, M. L. Tornbohm, H. B. Bell, and W. W. Skinner, who held office until the annual meeting of the stockholders, which was held on the first Monday in May of each year.


The By-Laws provided for a standing committee of three members of the Board of Directors, to attend to all matters relative to investment in real estate, title, price, terms of sale, etc., and the President appointed J. F. Smith, E. Whiting, and M. L. Tornbohm.


At a meeting of the Board of Trustees, convened on June 24, 1867, it was ordered that the report of the committee on the purchase of land be adopted, viz: "That we purchase of General J. B. Frisbie five full blocks of land situate in the town of Vallejo, and numbered on map of said town, blocks 392, 394, 395, 398, and 399, containing eighty lots 50x130 feet, at a cost of $8.000.


Thirty lots in blocks 396, 397, and 400 were bought on October 12, 1877, at the same rate as first purchase, viz: $3,000, making in all one hundred and ten lots.


On November 9, 1867, the land was distributed among the shareholders by drawing for choice of lots, with the understanding, which was voted in public meeting, that, as the Association had been at the expense of fenc- ing in the property, those drawing corner lots should defray the extra cost of inclosing the same, to the extent of ten dollars.


The lots, when fully paid up, including the outlay of fencing, recording deed, and other incidental expenses, cost the holders $122 25 for corner lots, and for those on the inside $112 25.


Many of the owners, in the fall of 1867 and the following season, built houses and made other improvements, so that in three or four years nearly every lot had its comfortable home, and to-day the property is one of the prettiest in the city of Vallejo.


Vallejo Land and Improvement Company .- This company was incor- porated on the 27th day of October, 1871, with a capital stock divided into 40,000 shares, of $100 each, the whole capital being $4,000,000. The ob-


223


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


jects of the corporation were to purchase, and sell, and convey lands in the county of Solano; to erect and maintain wharves and docks on the same for the purposes of manufactures, trades, business and commerce; to reclaim lands, purchase and otherwise improve the same by buildings, fix- tures and erections, to be placed thereon for warehousing and other pur- poses; to lay out public streets, avenues, boulevards, squares and pleasure- grounds across, over and upon the land purchased, and dedicate the same to the public use. It was then declared that the time of existence of said company should be fifty years, and the following trustees were elected to manage the affairs of the company, viz .: John B. Frisbie ; Faxton D. Ather- ton; Leland Stanford; Milton S. Latham; Alexander De Laski, and E. H. Green; the officers being: President, John B. Frisbie ; Vice President, F. D. Atherton; Secretary, J. K. Duncan; Treasurer, Milton S. Latham.


The first annual report of the company puts forth the state of the associa- tion as being most flourishing. When submitted, on January 17, 1872, their property consisted chiefly of 2,000 acres of land in and near the town of Vallejo, the value of which was estimated at nearly $3,000,000. One thou- sand acres were situated within the town limits, including much in the best localities, and six hundred acres along the water-front. The portion lying inside the town limits was laid out in lots, while the balance was suburban lands, and other tracts of considerable value. At this time the prospects of Vallejo had reached its zenith, and the relapse which has since occurred was not then deemed probable.


Throughout the following years the Vallejo Land and Improvement Com- pany has been on the wane, monetarily speaking. Owing to the declension of trade, and other losses, the association is not in as flourishing a condition as might be expected, yet there is every prospect of its recovering the ground lost. Its property is unquestionably valuable. It owns large ware- houses in most desirable localities, which cannot but prove advantageous in the near future.


The Board of Trustees for the year 1878 are: Hon. S. G. Hilborn, Vallejo; Messrs. E. J. Wilson, A. T. Robinson, Vallejo; Hon. C. Hartson, Napa; and Messrs Edmund R. White, and J. K. Duncan, of San Francisco and Vallejo; while the officers are: President, Hon. S. G. Hilborn; Vice President, E. J. Wilson; Treasurer, Hon. C. Hartson, and Secretary, J. K. Duncan.


Vallejo City Water Company .- Was incorporated in 1870. The present directorship is: Messrs. A. Chabôt, of Oakland, President; Louis Pierce, and J. C. Edgecumbe, Superintendents; J. E. Abbott, Secretary, and A. J. McPike, Cashier, Book-keeper, and acting Superintendent.


The main reservoir of the company is situated near the Napa road, three miles north of the city, being constructed on a portion of 425 acres pur- chased by the company at a sum of $42,000. The dam covers an extent of


224


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


160 acres; it is three hundred feet wide, by forty feet high, with 150 feet at the base, and 100 feet at the apex. Its capacity is said to be 8 or 900,000,- 000 gallons. From this immense receptacle the fluid is conducted to the city through twelve-inch cast-iron pipes, and thence distributed by branch pipes aggregating more than sixteen miles in length. The town is watered by two systems of piping, as follows: On the top of Capitol Hill there is a reservoir which is filled by means of pumping, and thereafter distributed by lesser pipes to those high positions which the water from the main reser- voir will not reach. The pump in use is a No. 8 Hooker, driven by a sixty- horse-power engine, and has a pumping capacity of about 500,000 gallons in the twenty-four hours. Where the pump is located there is yet another reservoir which has a capacity of 200,000 gallons, and is used to feed the dam on the summit of the hill, when there is not sufficient pressure from the main reservoir. The company also supplies the Mare Island Navy Yard with 1,000,000 gallons per mensem, transmitted by means of a sub-marine cast-iron pipe with flexible joints, a distance of two thou- sand feet, across the bed of the Napa River. This water is used for irri- gating purposes, as well as through the buildings and machine-shops, and with- out doubt its acquisition has been a great saving to the government. Be- sides this vast supply, the company provides the railway establishments, the flour-mills, and the steamers which ply to San Francisco, with water. From thirty to sixty ships per annum, after loading with grain, fill their tanks from the company's pipes ere sailing for foreign lands, while the home con- sumption amounts to fully three-fourths of the population.


The elevation of the main dam is eighty feet above the level of the sea; that on the hill is one hundred and fifty feet. In conclusion, there is an admirable system, whereby, in case of fire, connection is made between the Capitol Hill dam and the main pipes, which gives a pressure of 150 feet; besides, in this regard, thirty five hydrants, of the very latest patterns, have been placed at the most convenient street-corners.


Vallejo Gas Light Company-Incorporated July 23, 1867, with a capital of $40,000, under the Directorship of J. B. Frisbie, President, and Harvey W. Snow, Secretary. The Company erected their first buildings on Main street, near the water front, by contract, for the whole of the original cap- ital of $40,000, but these have given place to more spacious offices on Mary- land, between Marin and Sonoma streets. In November, 1871, the capital stock of the Company was increased to $250,000, when a new Retort House was built to contain fifteen retorts capable of yielding 60,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The consumption, however, is about 10,000 feet daily. Gas is distributed through the city in main pipes aggregating about five miles in length, which was first brought into requisition to light the town towards the end of 1867. The present officers are J. K. Duncan, President ; Hon. S. G. Hilborn, Secretary ; and P. B. Fegan, Superintend- ent, who has held the position since the first organization of the Company.


Of Powell


-


THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIER A Astory Leven son Fou Idaw po


225


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Bank of Vallejo-Was incorporated on September 25, 1876, with an authorized capital of $150,000, under the management of D. W. Harrier as President, and J. E. Abbott, Cashier, with Eben Hilton, Joseph Wilson, Thomas Matthews, J. C. Edgecumbe, W. C. Greaves, N. Vanderlip, D. W. Harrier, John Brownlie, Charles Widemann, as Directors. The present management is as follows : W. C. Greaves, President ; S. C. Farnham, Vice- President ; J. E. Abbott, Secretary and Cashier ; F. D. Mead, Assistant Cashier, the Board of Directors being W. C. Greaves, S. C. Farnham, J. E. Abbott, John Wilson, Joseph Wilson, Charles Widemann, G. B. Richart, C. Hallin and O. C. Chamberlain.


The Bank of Vallejo transacts its business in the Bernard Block, situated on Georgia street, where it carries on a general banking and exchange business. Draws on National Gold Bank and Trust Company of San Francisco.


The Vallejo Savings and Commercial Bank .- This Bank was incor- porated on May 3, 1870, with an authorized capital of $300,000, under the management of J. B. Frisbie, President, and Henry Mackie, Cashier, the Directors being J. B. Frisbie, H. Mackie, J. F. Tobin, Capt. C. H. Baldwin, U. S. N., L. C. Fowler, D. C. Haskin and Edward McGettigan. The present management is under E. J. Wilson, President, with J. R. English, Cashier, the Board of Directors being E. J. Wilson, C. Hartson, A. T. Robinson, M. Fletcher, P. W. Dillon, J. K. Duncan and S. G. Hilborn.


The building in which the Bank transacts its business is an imposing structure, standing on the northwest corner of Georgia and Sacramento streets, where it does a general banking and exchange business. Cor- responds with Wells, Fargo & Co., of New York and San Francisco.


Pioneer Brewery, Messrs. Smith, Lessees-Is situated on the northeast corner of Marin and Carolina streets, and was established in 1862 under the name of the Vallejo Brewery, by Edward McGettigan, his partners being A. Murray and J. McGarvey. Under the exigencies of trade the building was brought to the hammer in 1865, when it was bought by Mr. McGet- tigan who rebuilt and put new machinery into it and changed its appella- tion to the Pioneer Brewery, which it now bears. As a brewing establish- ment it ranks second to none in the State.


The main building occupies an area of 60x80 feet, and is one story high, with a basement, in the latter of which is the Malt floor and fermenting tubs, the up-stairs being devoted to the malt kiln, malt mill, hop and sample- rooms, while there is in use a patent refrigerator, one of three on the coast. In connection with the brewery there are the usual out-houses of stables, sheds, and other buildings, all of which are in excellent condition. The beer made by the establishment is a strong and healthful beverage, for which a large sale is found in Napa, Calistoga and the other interior towns, while the home consumption is quite an item, the demand being always on the increase.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.