USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 25
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54
15
226
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Empire Soda Works .- O'Grady & Co., proprietors, is a two-storied frame building, standing on the corner of Sonoma and Florida streets, covering an area of 30x40 feet. The first floor is divided into two parts, one being occu- pied as a saloon, run in connection with the business ; while, in the other, stands a soda machine, by Smith, of San Francisco, with a capacity of twenty-five gallons, and capable of manufacturing five hundred bottles of soda water per diem. The reservoir connects with a patent bottling and corking machine, made by John Matthews, of New York. There is also a patent bottle-washer on the premises. The former machine is the only one in the district, a royalty of $75 per month being paid on it; while a charge of about $398 had to be met before the use of it was permitted in the county. In the winter months the consumption of soda is necessarily smaller than in summer ; but seventy-five dozen per diem may be taken as the average out-turn. All kinds of effervescing liquors, such as cider, por- ter, gingerale, and lemonade, are bottled on the works; while they have a good business both in town and country, with every prospect of its exten- sion to the adjacent counties. The present premises have only been occupied since 1866, the original works having been erected fourteen years ago, by E. McGettigan, on the corner of Sonoma and Carolina streets, who has now sold out of the business.
The Vallejo Foundry and Machine Works -Is the first establishment of its kind started in Vallejo. It stands, according to the new survey, at the south-east corner of Block No. 791. This building is situated in South Vallejo, and was erected in August, 1869, by the enterprising firm of Heald & McCormick. In 1874, however, the former gentleman purchased the in- terest of the latter, since when, the business has been carried on by Mr. Heald alone. It is a source of gratification to remark that since the first establishment of the undertaking, it has generally increased in importance, the work turned out being first-class. A specialty is made of Straw Burn- ing Threshing Machines ; while nearly all the rolling stock of the California Pacific Railroad is manufactured on the premises. Every class of machin- ery can be designed and moulded there; the proprietor taking a just pride in securing all the latest improvements in each department of his business. The works employ continuously, a staff of twenty workmen; the capital invested is about $20,000; while a general business is done to the extent of $75,000 per annum. The machinery employed on the premises is of first- class workmanship, and is driven by an engine of 26 horse-power.
Pioneer Sash, Doors and Blind Factory - Situated on Block No. 752, at the corner of Rice and Fifth streets, South Vallejo, was established by the present proprietors, Messrs. D. G. Barnes & Co., in the year 1869, on the premises which they now occupy. This is the only branch of the industry
227
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
in the city, to which it does much credit. The building is of wood. The The capital employed is entirely invested by the proprietors, who employ ten men on the premises. They turn out all kinds of mouldings, and house furnishings, as well as making, for the grape-growing districts of Napa and Sonoma, a large number of wine and water tanks. The machin- ery is worked by a steam engine, made by William Reardon & Co., of Brooklyn, N. Y. This factory is the first of its kind erected in Vallejo; and from the position which it holds, and the easy access it has to communi- cation, both by steamer and rail, in a country which is daily increasing in population, the efforts of the proprietors are being rewarded by a thriving and increasing business.
Solano Brewery-Is located on the corner of Kentucky street, on north half of lots 1 and 2, block 264. It was erected in the year 1870 and is built of brick, the area covered being 42x88 feet. On the ground floor is the Sample Room 40x24, with the beer cellar immediately under it of the same demensions; adjoining the former is the brewing room 40x24 containing the furnace and malt tub. On the second story there is a brewing tub capable of holding sixteen barrels, besides which there is a separate store room built of brick 42x36. The entire premises were constructed by Messrs. Widemann & Rothenbusch, the present proprietors, at a cost of about $24,000. This is the largest brewery in Vallejo and has its principal custom within the city limits.
Pioneer Marble Works .- James Doyle, proprietor of the above works occupies a one story wooden structure measuring 100x25 feet with a yard attached. He employs two men who dress the rough stone into monuments, mantel-pieces and other work of a like nature. The marble used is im- ported in its natural state from San Francisco while the granite is brought from the Penryn quarries, Placer county, in this State. Mr. Doyle no longer works at this branch of industry ; he is Constable for the city of Vallejo. The business was first started in 1862.
Farragut Hall .- This commodious hall was built by the late Admiral D. G. Farragut in the year 1869 on Georgia street. Its dimensions are 50x80 feet ; in the northern or upper end of which there is a stage fitted with all appropriate paraphernalia for theatrical representations, besides five dressing rooms. The original size of the building was too small, so 30 feet were added to it making one of the largest rooms in the county. It is lit by a sun burner gas jet in the center while brackets are placed at intervals along the walls. It is well ventilated and built of brick. All public meet- ings, social and political are usually held here, it having a seating capacity of eight hundred.
228
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The Alert Boat Club was organized July 16, 1872, by A. J. Brownlie, W. S. Risley, Osgood Hilton, Wm. McDonald and A. J. McKnight.
It immediately began operations by electing new members and building their first boat, which was done by the members themselves in the old United States Hotel. The first race rowed was between crews from the Riversides of Sacramento, and the first crew of the Alerts on January 1, 1873, the Riversides entering R. C. Lowell, W. Barry, W. A. Butterfield and H. Thiel ; the Alerts, Jno. Reed, W. S. Risley, James Kane and Wm. Mc- Donald. This race was for a set of racing oars, and was won by the River- sides by ten boat lengths.
The next race occurred the same day between crews of Farragut Boat Club of South Vallejo, and the junior crew of the Alert. The Farragut seating Jas. A. Lamont, A. S. Carman, M. Dozier, Jno. T. Dare, and Alerts, A. J. Brownlie, A. J. McKnight, H. E. Brown and Geo. Gorham. This race was for a set of boat-house colors, and was won easily by the Alerts, beating their opponents one-quarter of a mile. Shortly after this the Alerts sent east for a four-oared paper shell, which arrived in due time and was the only four-oared paper boat on the Coast. With this boat they entered the grand regatta held in Vallejo July 4, 1873.
The first race that day was for the second class four-oared boats. The Alerts and Pioneers entering. The distance was one and a half miles and return, making three miles, which distance was rowed by the Alerts in 22-8, beating the Pioneers badly. Next race for first class single scullers. Wm. Daily of the Alerts being entered against two others of San Francisco. This was won by Daily by half a length, it being the best race of the day. Third race for second class single scullers. W. S. Risley and Austin Steven- son of the Alerts being matched against three other boats from other clubs. The honor of this race also was the Alerts, for Risley won easily, Steven- son also of the Alerts, second. The grand race of the day was for four- oared boats, there being in all seven entries. The Alerts entering J. J Smith, G. E. Taylor, W. S. Risley and Wm. Daily. The Riversides won this race, nearly all the other boats having been swamped in the rough water. The Farraguts of South Vallejo coming in second. Shortly after this a set of champion colors for Vallejo waters was purchased jointly by the Farragut and Alert clubs of Vallejo, and the first race was rowed for these on January 1, 1874. The Farragut boys winning by two seconds or half a boat's length in 21-292.
On June 6, 1874, another race for the colors was rowed by the same clubs. This being won by the Alerts in 21.20, beating the other boat 175 yards.
Nothing more in the rowing line was done until October, 1878, when the Alert Club was represented by A. J. McKnight, Chas. B. Bond, Richard McKnight and A. J. Brownlie at Oakland in the race for the Mckinley
229
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Challenge Cup. Here the Alerts were unfortunate, having made a poor start, a worse turn, and breaking a seat on their road home. They came in third however, making good time.
Thanksgiving day at Vallejo was the scene of another boating contest between the junior crews of the Farragut and Alert Clubs. The Farragut's boat being rowed by Jno. T. Dare, H. D. Lazelle, Chas. Morse and Henry Gedge, and the Alerts by Geo. B. Hanna, Geo. Roe, Lyle Roe and Osgood Hilton. The race was rowed for the honors, and resulted in a complete victory for the Alert boys, they having distanced their competitors and winning in 20-302, the best three mile time ever made on this Coast.
The Alert Club membership is composed of some of the finest young men in the place; in numbers, 28. The Club owns their boat-house which is situated on Georgia street wharf, one four-oared wood shell, one four-oared paper shell, one racing barge, lately built, and launched February 21, 1879. She is a beauty and pronounced (by those who are good judges) likely to be very speedy. There is also in the boat-house two Rob Roy Canoes of Mc- Gregor model and fame. Value of Club property, $1,300.
Present officers : Frank B. Lemon, President; Frank T. Winchell, Vice- President; A. J. McKnight, Secretary ; Wm. McDonald, Treasurer ; Geo. Gorham, Captain.
This Club was not organized for gain financially, but to promote good feeling among its members, encourage boating, and benefit all by the physi- cal exertion necessary in rowing. They do not row for money, but for the honors of the occasion.
The Club appears to be in a flourishing condition and is rapidly increas- ing in numerical strength, while it is growing in the esteem of the people.
HOTELS .- There is no city on the Pacific Coast which is so well pro- vided with accommodation for the traveler as is Vallejo, indeed some of these structures are a feature of the town, while the principal hotel would do credit to a place of double the pretensions. The first hotels, already men- tioned in this work, have long ceased to enfold the weary traveler in their hospitable arms. Some of the original buildings still stand, as it were to mark the course of time, while others have been pulled down to make way for more eligible structures, or been utterly wiped out by the devouring flames which have on occasion visited the city.
Barnard House --. Chief among the present hotels is this elegant build- ing occupying an area of 150x130 feet, on Georgia, the principal business street in Vallejo. It was completed and opened on August 10, 1872, by John M. Staples, the present proprietor of the Arcade House in San Fran- cisco. The Bernard House is a large, square building, containing forty-five bed rooms, a large dining room up stairs, and a restaurant on the ground
230
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
floor. It is fitted with every modern improvement, necessary for the com- fort of visitors, and has two entrances, one on Georgia, the other on Sacra- mento street. The street car passes it on its way to the railroad depot twice a day, and the rate for board and lodging varies from two to three dollars per diem. The present proprietor is Adrian H. Izirar, who is a most popu- lar landlord.
The Howard House, situated on 116 and 118 Georgia street, was com- menced in September and finished in December, 1876. Has a frontage of 50 feet, and can accommodate 150 guests with comfort. It derives its name from Amos Howard, its first proprietor, who died a few months after its completion, the business being now carried on by his widow and her present husband, R. J. Harrington.
In addition to these there are the Sherman House, Washington House, and others, which all find ample patronage from the employes on the Navy Yard.
NEWSPAPERS .- The Vallejo Chronicle was founded by F. A. Leach and William Gregg, the first issue being printed June 20, 1867. It appeared as a weekly edition of modest size and pretensions, and was continued as a weekly until November, 1868, when the present daily was established. In April, 1869, Mr. Leach bought the interest of his associate and became sole proprietor of the establishment. On assuming the full control he began the issue of the Weekly Chronicle, which had been suspended by the daily. The politics of the paper, which owing to the conflicting principles of the two proprietors had before been independent, were changed, and it became independent Republican, and has ever since steadily advocated the views of that party. In November, 1875, the ownership of the establishment was merged into a stock company, incorporated under the State laws ; Mr. Leach, however, still retaining all but a fraction of the stock and continuing in the absolute management and control of the business. March 1st, 1879, feeble and still failing health compelled him to dissolve his connection with the journal, and he sold his whole interest therein to Thomas Wendell, a part proprietor and the editor of the Chronicle for several years preceding. Mr. Wendell, on entering into charge, united in himself the duties of business manager with those of editor. The Chronicle has been a prosperous journal from the date of its establishment and has increased in stability and reputa- tion with its growing years. The circulation of its daily edition is found chiefly in Vallejo and places along the line of the two branches of the Cali- fornia and Pacific Railroad; the weekly edition is found through every part of the interior of Solano, and in Napa and Lake, besides having a very con- siderable circulation among the vessels of the Pacific squadron of the Navy, where its navy intelligence makes it an interesting journal.
The " Solano Daily Times" made its first appearance on the morn-
231
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
ing of September 28th, 1875, in its present form, 12x18, twenty col- umns. It rose from the columns of the Daily Independent. The type, presses, etc., of the Independent had been purchased by George Roe, who, forming a partnership with A. B. Gibson, commenced the publication of the Times. About a month after this A. B. Gibson withdrew from the paper, and George Roe formed a company, which was known as the " Times Pub- lishing Company," and which was composed, besides himself, of W. V. Walsh, H. J. Pelham, and Thad. McFarland. McFarland and Pelham here- after seceded from the Times, which now was issued under the firm name of Roe & Walsh.
In January, 1876, the Solano Weekly Times made its appearance in con- nection with the daily. It is made up of all the reading matter that appears in the daily during each week, and its columns are, consequently, well filled. The Solano Weekly Times is 23x32 in size, of twenty-eight columns, and has a fair circulation in Solano and adjacent counties.
The Vallejo Elevator .- In the year 1867 Mr. G. C. Pearson, a gentleman of Chicago, came to the coast for the benefit of his health, and among other places visited Vallejo, where he conceived the plan of erecting an elevator after the manner of those in use in other grain producing States. Among those to whom he imparted his idea was Dr. D. W. C. Rice, the presi- dent of the California Pacific Railroad, who was so struck with the practi- cability of such a scheme that he became anxious to share in the building and participate in its advantages, suggesting that a joint-stock company should be formed, which was done without delay, it being floated with a capital of $500,000. On investigating the laws of the State, Mr. Pearson found that there was none regulating the storage of warehouses whereby property could be transferred upon endorsement. He therefore drafted a bill, with the idea of regulating such, but it was, unfortunately, never passed by the Legislature, although in each successive session presented to the Assembly. Mr. Pearson thereupon seceded from any participation in the scheme, and returned to Chicago, leaving the plans and specifications in the hands of Dr. Rice. A company was organized, composed of Dr. Rice, with Dr. Ryder, Messrs. Roelofson, D. C. Haskins, J. B. Frisbie, Dr. Spencer, and Messrs. Hudson and Bauchius, of Marysville, who were afterwards joined by I. Friedlander, he having obtained a controlling interest by the purchase of one-fifth of the stock. On his return to Chicago, Mr. Pearson had, not- withstanding his connection with the elevator had ceased, engaged, at the request of Dr. Rice, the services of Mr. Robert Mackie as architect and over- seer of the construction ; and through the influence of Dr. Ryder, Mr. Charles Wheeler, of Oswego, New York, was appointed superintendent. These gentlemen arrived in the summer of 1868, but headway was not made with the building till the following year. The piling was effected in Nov- ember and December of 1868, and the erection commenced on January 4, 1869.
232
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
As far back as 1838 the practicability of shipping grain in bulk was dem- onstrated when cargoes of wheat were shipped from Germany and other countries to the United States, which arrived in better condition than did that in sacks or boxes. There was therefore no reason why such should not be equally practicable in 1869.
" Experience had shown," says Mr. Pearson, " the impossibility of storing large amounts of grain in the old style warehouse, built with heavy timber frames, the toughest oak being inadequate for sustaining the pressure of even the small amount that it was possible to store in the shallow, flat bins of the period. Various materials were tested without success, until the plan was hit upon of using wooden strips, 2x6 to 3x12, resting flatwise, one upon another, and thoroughly spiked together ; any mechanic will un- derstand the impossibility of breaking down or rending asunder a building composed of compartments or bins interlocked or dovetailed together in this manner ; the whole fabric is one piece, possessing relatively more strength. The Elevator building is simply an aggregation of bins resting upon pieces of wood stone-bound together with iron bands and rods; surmounting the bins is a light frame, serving to carry the roof and for operating the mach- inery directly connected with elevating, spouting and weighing grain. Into these bins (which are numbered in all the larger elevators) the grain is bulked, i. e., stored loosely, which not only protects it from destruction by rats and mice, but allows the formation of grades of uniform character, whereby the value is recognized in the market at once by reference to samples. An elevator's capacity consequently depends upon the number and size of its bins. In this respect they vary from one to five hundred, with storage room for 300 tons for the smaller, to 48,000 tons for the larger."
" The Vallejo elevator stands on over 900 piles, of an average length of forty feet, driven through about eight feet of mud and detritus, and into the rocky bottom from four to six feet, forming a secure foundation against settling. To secure it against the danger of careening over from earthquake vibrations, Mr. Mackie had heavy timbers, well spliced together, placed all around the outside piling, and these were firmly tied to the pier clumps or clusters on the inside of the building with heavy iron rods, which are car- ried below high-water mark, or about eleven feet below the top of the piles. A portion of the area was then filled with rock and earth, from eight to ten feet in depth, adjacent to the inside piles, and then raised in a mound form to the centre, where the depth is thirty feet.
It will thus be seen on what a massive foundation this elevator was built. It is never known when an earthquake may be experienced on the coast. Former years have proved what devastation may be caused by one of them, and it is never safe to erect a bulky building of this nature on any but the soundest foundation.
233
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
" The construction of the building is most massive. The first and second stories of the elevator are frame work of 12x12-inch-interspersed with 10x10 timber-Puget Sound timber. The number of posts worked in is 260, which are capped by 12x18-inch timbers, running crosswise the build- ing, a width of 85 feet. These joists are crossed by 12x16-inch timbers, in four tiers, running at right angles the whole length of the building, a distance of one hundred feet, and firmly attached to the underlying tim- bers. Upon this structure commences the third story, or grain bins, which are built up crib fashion, of an oblong form, 10x20 feet, hoppered at the bottom, in which there is a casting with a slide for drawing out the contents when required for shipping. The bins, of which there are thirty-nine, are constructed of 2x6 plank, spiked on each other flatwise to a height of forty feet. Above these is the cupola, forty-two feet in width, with a depth of one hundred feet, running longitudinally through the building, and rising a height of forty feet to the eaves, from the level to the top of the bins. This structure is three stories high, with an attic, in which is the principal portion of the elevating machinery. This is driven by a belt, weighing over 1,400 pounds, from a pully in the engine shaft below. The third story of the cupola is designed for receiving and weighing grain from the cars. The two lower stories are adapted for distributing the grain through wooden spouts, or shutes, to the different bins. The scales for weighing the grain in bulk are of Fairbanks' patent, and the three have cach respectively a capacity of fifteen tons at a draft, and their hoppers will hold five hundred bushels. There are three receiving elevators-or, as they are termed in the Western States, car elevators-and two elevators for shipping. The latter are provided, each, with a pair of 250-bushel hopper scales. There is one elevator, or "leg," on the south side, which is built into the building in a frame, which is so arranged as to be capable of being lowered or raised into barges or schooners for discharging grain. When not in use the foot rests on the wharf, but when employed in unloading, the foot is carried into the vessel to be discharged, sunk into the loose grain, a slide opened, and the the cargo very rapidly elevated by buckets, or cups, attached to an endless belt. These cups will contain about one-twelfth of a bushel, and three hundred and eighty of them pass up in a minute of time; equal to an aggregate lifting capacity of from 1,500 to 1,800 bushels per hour. The grain is received in a garner and weighed out in 100-bushel drafts, which are received in the foot of the distributing elevator and carried thence to the attic, to be distributed to the respective bins, according to the grade of the grain. The method is different in receiving grain from the cars, which are run on tracks into the lower story, opposite the elevators. The grain is rapidly thrown out by steam shovels into a hopper, or sink, from which it runs into the elevating buckets, and thence emptied into the scale of hop- pers for weighing, and then distributed into the proper bins. In discharging
234
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
from the bins, the grain is drawn into the foot of the shipping elevators ; thence carried to the top of the building and weighed in four hopper scales- one of 500, two of 300, and one of 250 bushels-and afterwards discharged through spouts into the ship to be loaded. The whole mechanism and methods of receiving and discharging are very simple and expeditious in operation. The storage capacity of the building will approximate 350,000 bushels, or 10,000 tons of wheat, inclusive of store room for 250 tons of sacked grain. The handling capacity is 35,000 bushels per day, though it can be weighed and run into a ship's hold at a speed of from 8,000 to 10,000 bushels ; equal to 250 to 300 tons per hour. The engine and boilers are located in a separate fire-proof building, 30x35 feet in dimensions, from which rises a smoke-stack, three feet in diameter, to a height of 118 feet. The cylinder of the engine is 18 inches bore and 42 inches stroke. The engine was built at the Union Iron Works, San Francisco. For regulating the running speed, there is attached to the engine one of Scott & Eckart's patent adjustable cut-offs and governor. The steam is supplied by two boilers, 56 inches in diameter and 16 feet in length, containing thirty-five 3-inch tubes each; also manufactured by Booth & Co., which firm manu- factured the shafting, pulleys, etc. There are 200 feet of shafting, ranging from 6 inches down to 24 inches in diameter. Of belting, there are 3,150 feet. The main driving belt is 226 feet long and 20 inches in width, and runs from a 6-foot pully on the engine to a 10-foot pully on the main line of shafting in the top of the building. There are 3,150 feet of belting in service, viz : 226 feet, five-ply, 20 inches wide; 1,200 feet, four-ply, 20 inches wide; 132 feet, four-ply, 18 inches wide; 127 feet, four-ply, 16 inches wide, and 258 feet, four-ply, 8 inches wide. The aggregate total of lineal feet of timber and lumber, used and employed in erecting the elevator, figures up 1,076,000 feet, exclusive of 35,000 lineal feet of piles, used in con- structing the building. The roof is of tin, put on by W. H. Lamb & Co., who also supplied the elevator buckets, hardware, nails, screws, etc. The outside of the building is covered with smooth iron."
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.