History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc., Part 26

Author: Munro-Fraser, J. P
Publication date: 1879
Publisher: San Francisco, Cal., East Oakland, Wood, Alley & co.
Number of Pages: 556


USA > California > Solano County > History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. > Part 26


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54


The above technical information has been in the main taken from the Vallejo directory of 1870, but, as many of the figures therein given were incorrect, the present ones quoted were supplied by Mr. Luke Alvord, who was foreman on the building during its erection.


On the afternoon of the 16th of September, 1872, the Vallejo elevator was no more; it fell with a terrific crash, carrying with it some 4,000 tons of wheat which were stored inside, and 1,000 more upon the wharves around the building, all being the property of I. Friedlander, the Grain King. The total loss was estimated at $100,000. The cause of collapse is by some asserted to be on account of defective piling, while others declare that the catastrophe was the result of the two lower stories not being properly ' braced, i. e. up to a distance of 25 feet from the base of the building. For


235


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


several days prior to its collapse, the elevator had evinced decided symptoms of settling. Doors had become cramped, crackling sounds had been heard all over the building, but this gave no cause for alarm; yet down it went in one confused heap, happily taking with it no human lives.


Carquinez Cemetery .- This beautiful plot of ground, like many others for a public purpose, was donated to the City of Vallejo by General John B. Frisbie in 1857, and contains twenty-five acres. It is situated on the sum- mit of the rising ground, and is on the direct road to Benicia. A road run- ning through the center divides the grounds equally and is apportioned, the eastern half to the Catholic and the western half to the Protestant. The government of the burial-ground is vested in Trustees and a Superintendent.


Militay Organization .- Vallejo boasts one company of Rifles, composed of a fine body of men who are in every way capable as citizen soldiers. The time was when there mustered in its ranks many men who had served in the war of the rebellion. These have in a measure given way to not less worthy successors, who have brought the standard of their corps to a high state of perfection. Captain Frank O'Grady may well feel pleasure in his command, and. California be proud of this portion of her National Guard.


VALLEJO FIRE DEPARTMENT .- Among the many institutions in the United States in which her sons may truly feel a just pride, none are more prominently brought forward than are her fire companies. Every city or town, however small, boasts of its brigade, who, whether paid or from love, give their energies at the first stroke of the fire alarm to save life and prop- erty. The Fire Department in Vallejo was established in the year 1865, the inaugural election having been held on December 4th of that year. At this meeting, and for the following years the officers elected were: Chief En- gineer, William Aspenall ; January 10, 1868, Chief Engineer, Philip Hich- born ; January 10, 1870, Philip Hichborn was elected Chief Engineer ; Jan- uary 12, 1872, Alexander Hichborn was chosen Chief and John L. King, First Assistant Engineer; May 4, 1873, Joseph Edgecumbe, Chief, Van B. Smlth, First, and John Welch, Second Assistant Engineers ; May 9, 1874, O. L. Henderson, Chief, Gilbert Clayton, First, and B. D. Egery, Second As- sistant Engineers ; May 7, 1875, Van B. Smith, Chief, Thomas McDonald, First, and George Gorham, Second Assistant Engineers; May 16, 1876, William McGill, Chief, E. J. Colby, First, and J. F. Nugent, Second Assist- ant Engineers ; May 3, 1877, Van B. Smith, Chief, J. J. Smith, First, and R. W. Burton, Second Assistant Engineer ; May 20, 1878, William Beards- ley, Chief, Daniel Skully, First, and Steven Price, Second Assistant En- gineers ; May 2, 1879, Steven M. Price, Chief, Daniel Skully, First, and Peter Wright, Second Assistant Engineers.


236


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


San Pablo Engine Company, No. 1 .- This company was organized on February 23, 1865, under the following officers, who were elected at the first meeting, held on the above mentioned date: Foreman, John King; First Assistant, H. P. Soames; Second Assistant, Edward Fitzmorris ; Treasurer, F. S. Carlton ; Secretary, Laurence Ryan ; Financial Secretary, John Kennedy. The location of the Engine is at the Masonic Hall, on Virginia street. It is of the fourth class and weighs, exclusive of supplies, 3,700 pounds. The boiler is M. R. Clapp's Circulating Tubular Patent, made of the best material and of sufficient strength to bear twice the pressure usually required. Steam can be engendered from cold water in from four to six minutes from the time of the lighting of the fires. The boiler is covered with German silver, and banded with the same substance and Princess metal. The cylinder is fitted to a bed-plate which contains all the steam passages, thus preventing leaky joints and condensation of steam. It is fitted with self-adjusting packing, requiring little or no atten- tion from the Engineer. The steam cylinder, steam chest and bed-plate are cased in German silver and Princess metal. The main forcing-pump is double-acting, and made of a composition of copper and tin and highly polished. It is so constructed that it can be taken apart or put together in a few minutes if required ; there is also a circulating valve for the purpose of feeding the boiler when steam is cut off. The large copper air chamber is of Princess metal, with a nickel-plated water pressure attached. The steam cylinder is eight inches in diameter, and eight inches stroke; the pump is 45 inches in diameter and 8 inch stroke ; the forward wheels are 4} and the rear ones 5 feet high. The engine is thoroughly equipped with tongue rope, hose-brake lamps, headlight and all the paraphernalia for ordinary use. The hose cart is two-wheeled and carries 500 feet of car- bolized hose, and is in good condition. The officers of the Company are: Alexander Hichborn, Foreman ; J. W. Van Meeter, First Assistant; Alex- ander Morrison, Second Assistant ; James Topley, Treasurer ; T. S. Gilbert, Secretary ; J. W. Winters, Engineer; Louis Rosine, Stoker. There are fifty-eight members in good standing. The Engineer, Stoker and Secre- tary are permanently employed; these, together with the Foreman, two, Assistants and fifty-one members constitute the entire Company.


VALLEJO SCHOOLS-Early Beginnings .- During the summer of 1855, a Mr. Wilmott, a Methodist minister, solicited subscriptions to raise funds for the erection of a building to be used jointly as a church and school house. Admiral Farragut was then in command of the Navy Yard, and Isaiah Hans- com, Naval Constructor. The paper wss circulated among the men on the yard and one thousand ($1,000) dollars subscribed ; many of the men giving a day's pay. General J. B. Frisbie donated two lots on Virginia street, between Marin and Sonoma. The building was soon erected, most of the


237


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


work having been contributed by the different mechanics in town. Miss Frost, a relative of Mr. Hanscom, opened a school in this building the same summer, and continued it for several months. The church people desiring to plaster the room requested the school to vacate, and it was therefore moved into the old building, now standing on the corner of Maine and Marin streets, and known as "Smith and King's blacksmith shop." (It is not known whether this teacher was paid in full by tuition bills, or in part from public money).


Miss Frost was succeeded in 1856 by Mr. George Rowell, who, afterwards, in the fall of that year, moved into an old building known as the " Virginia House," now standing on Sonoma street, near Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1857 a public meeting was called, to see what action should be taken rela- tive to building a public school house. Responding to the call the people assembled at the old State House, then standing near where Eureka Hall is now located (afterward burned), and General J. F. Houghton was chosen moderator. At this meeting it was voted to build a house, and money was raised by subscription to pay for the same. Three lots were donated by General J. B. Frisbie, on Carolina street, at the corner of Sonoma, James Newbert being the contractor and builder. The original building was about forty feet square, with ceiling some fourteen feet high. At about this time there were several teachers, who succeeded each other at short intervals ; a Mr. Farmer, Miss Coyle, Miss Casson, Mr. Mason, Mr. N. Smith. Up to this time, spring of 1858, we have been unable to learn whether the teachers were paid in part with public money or entirely by tuition bills, but there is reason to believe some public money was received as early as 1857. Mr. E. M. Benjamin, now of San Francisco, was one of the trustees, and em- ployed Mr. Newbert to build the house in 1857.


In the fall of 1859, or spring of 1860, Mr. Fred. Campbell (now Superin- tendent of Schools, Oakland) took charge of the public school and remained until the spring of 1861. In June of that year Miss Root, now the wife of Hon. S. G. Hilborn, taught for one month, when Mr. Isaiah Hurlburt entered the school as principal, and Miss Root as assistant ; they remained until June, 1862, when they were succeeded by Mr. Atchinson and wife, who remained about one year. Mr. J. E. Fliggle then took charge of the school, assisted by Miss Casebolt, who remained until the spring of 1864, when Miss C. resigned, and Miss Alice Pickle was appointed in her place; they continued the school up to September 5, 1864, when Mr. Geo. W. Simonton took charge as princi- pal and Miss Sophia A. Simonton, now Mrs. Harris, as assistant. Prior to 1864 there had been several boards of trustees. E. M. Benjamin was one of the first. J. W. Farmer, E. J. Wilson, A. Powell, M. J. Wright, and others, but there is no data to fix either the date or order. Mr. Wright, however, was a trustee in 1864.


At the time Mr. Simonton entered the school there were two rooms in the


238


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


school building, the one built by Mr. Newbert for the principal, and a small room some twenty feet square, added subsequently for the assistant. There were at this time in both rooms about seventy scholars.


The school was ungraded and its entire management left to the principal. During all these years and up to about 1867 the salary of teachers had been paid, in part at least, by rate bills, levied pro rata on all the children. From 1864 to about 1871 the increase of children in public schools was very rapid, and it was with great difficulty the trustees could furnish sitting room for the children. Taxes were levied on the people and paid cheerfully, to build school rooms. In 1867 there were five rooms, with as many teachers, packed with children, each having from seventy to one hundred and twenty, fre- quently compelled to sit on the stage, on boxes or stools, for whole terms.


Present Results .- No city in the State has shown more interest in the matter of education than Vallejo. Her people have ever been alive to the importance of giving the rising generation a liberal education. From 1867 to 1869 the influx of population was so great that the school trustees found it very difficult, with the limited means and accommodation at their com- mand, to provide rooms and school furniture for the constantly increasing pupils. In 1869 the board of trustees, viz .: J. G. Lawton, M. J. Wright and I. S. Halsey, determined to submit to the people the question of taxing themselves for the purpose of raising money to build a new school house, and, to their credit be it recorded, the proposition was carried by a large ma- jority and the tax was levied. Plans having been advertised for those pre- sented by Messrs. Hoagland & Newsome, of San Francisco, were approved and the contract for constructing a large, commodious three-story building was awarded to J. W. Newbert, a citizen of Vallejo, for the sum of $14,000.


With a desire to extend the efficiency of the school department, J. G. Lawton, acting under instruction of the trustees, prepared a special school law for the city of Vallejo, providing (among other things) for a Board of Education, to consist of a superintendent and four school directors, naming the following gentlemen, who should serve until the next charter election viz .: J. G. Lawton, Superintendent and ex-officio President of the Board; M. J. Wright, Secretary; E. M. Benjamin, B. T. Osborn and I. S. Halsey, Directors. The law was passed by the legislature; and signed by the gov- ernor March 25, 1870. The gentlemen above named having been clothed with the proper authority, entered at once into the work assigned them, and labored assiduously for the promotion of the educational interests of the city. On the 6th of July, 1870, the new school-house was turned over to, and accepted by the Board; and although the third story remained un- finished, still the accomodation afforded greatly relieved the pressing de- mands upon the department. The following description will convey a very correct idea of this beautiful structure: The building is forty-eight feet


239


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


front, by sixty-eight feet deep. Ells eight feet wide. Single story, rear wing, 14x30} feet. It is three stories high, with Mansard roof, all inclosed in rustic style. Two wings, each eight feet wide, set out at each end of the building, furnishing broad entrances and stairways; these wings are sur- mounted with observatories. The centre of the building rises to a higher elevation, and upon its crown rests a turret, which serves both as a ventil- ator and belfry. The class-rooms are lighted from the front by four double, oval-topped windows, and the side elevations are equally well provided with large windows. The first floor is four feet from the ground, and the first and second stories fourteen feet six inches high, and the third fourteen feet. On the first floor, three large school-rooms are arranged for, each having entrance from the wings. Iron columns support the upper floors, and plat- forms for teachers occupy convenient positions. In the rear are two private rooms for teachers; halls. wash-rooms and wardrobes. The second story is also conveniently partitioned off, affording four good-sized class-rooms. The general style of building is neat, with no excess of ornamentation. Prior to the building of this house, the trustees were compelled to hire rooms in various and unsuitable parts of the city, paying therefor heavy rents; the colored school being in one of the rooms of the United States Hotel. On July 9th, 1870, the Board adopted the classification and course of study in use in the public schools of Providence, R. I., with such modifications as were deemed proper by the Board. The following corps of teachers was employed to teach under the new and improved system: G. W. Simonton, principal of the High-school, W. F. Roe, and Isabella Murphy, assistants; A. W. Dozier, principal of the Grammar department, with William Crow- hurst, Miss Lawrence, and J. McFadden, as assistants; Miss Sophia Simonton, Miss Mary Turtelott, Miss Foye, Miss Delia Sweatland, Mary C. Hall and Miss Rutherford, teachers of the Primary department, and Miss Wundenburg, teacher of the Colored school; W. M. Cole, Janitor.


The salaries paid at this time were from $50 to $150 per month, aggre- gating, including Superintendent, Secretary and Janitor, $1,151 per month. The regulations adopted by the Board provide for a ten-months' school, divided into two terms of five months each, with a mid-term vacation of one week. The school-money received from the state and county was found inadequate, and to make up the deficiency, the following schedule of rate-bills was adopted, payable monthly: "High-school department, each pupil, $2 50; first and second grade, Grammer, $2 00; third grade, Gram- mar, $1 75; fourth grade, Grammer, $1 50; Primary department, $1 00. At the end of the first month after the adoption of this order, viz .: from Jan. 4, to Feb. 15, 1871, the teachers reported to the Board, collections amounting to $543 70. At the end of May, 1871, the following teachers were elected for the next term: G. W. Simonton, W. F. Roe, and Miss Julia Benjamin, for High-school; A. W. Dozier, Misses Sweatland, Tourtelott,


240


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Benjamin, Murphy, and Mrs. C. A. Kidder (nee Simonton) Misses Kate Hall, Anderson, Rutherford, Foye, and Wm. Crowhurst, principal of the South Vallejo school; and Miss Mary Tobin, Etta Thompson, and Miss Watson, teacher of the colored school.


On the 15th of September the following gentlemen, having been elected by the people as provided in the new City School law, were duly qualified, and took their seats as the second Board of Education of Vallejo: Rev. N. B. Klink, Superintendent; I. S. Halsey, Secretary; Luke Doe, J. H. Green and E. H. M. Baily, Directors. The newly-elected members entered at once into the good work begun by the previous Board, and the Vallejo schools soon became famous throughout the adjacent counties, many pupils being sent here for instruction, and large numbers of most excellent teach- ers making application for positions as instructors.


The first question of importance presented to this Board for its considera- tion related to the finances of the department. The school-money received from the state and county was only sufficient to maintain the schools for eight months. A special tax of thirty-five cents on each $100 valuation on the assessment-roll was therefore provided for in the special law before- mentioned, to make up the deficiency. This tax was assessed and collected by the county officials, in the same manner and at the same time of assess- ing and collecting the state and county taxes, and without cost to the school- fund. This arrangement worked well, and gave great satisfaction to the public; but, unfortunately, the State Board of Equalization the next year decided that all such laws throughout the state were unconstitutional, and issued an order restraining County Assessors and Collectors from assessing or collecting township and district taxes. They further promulgated this principle in the matter of taxation, viz .: "That all taxes levied and col- lected for township and district purposes must be assessed and collected by officers elected by the people to be taxed." This rendered a revision of the Vallejo School Law necessary. The matter was referred to the Secretary of the Board with instructions to procure legal assistance and so revise the Special School Law as to secure the assessing and collecting of the usual special tax. On the 5th of January, 1874, J. G. Lawton, Esq., presented the revised law to the Board, which, after some modifications, was approved, and the Secretary instructed to forward it to the Hon. J. L. Heald, member of assembly, by whom it was introduced for legislative action; on the 25th day of February following it was signed by the Gover- nor, and has ever since been the school law of Vallejo township. The changes made related more especially to the matter of including the entire township of Vallejo in the school district, and making provision for the election of a township Assessor and Collector as required by the order be- fore-mentioned, emanating from the State Board of Equalization.


At the close of the school year ending December, 1871, Messrs. Gregory,


AM Sulley


NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY


Ast - Lene : Fem Min Tất tra ban


241


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


Hilborn, Lawton, Ashbrook, Dr. L. C. Frisbie, and Rev. C. E. Rich, assisted the Superintendent, Mr. Klink, in making the usual term-examination, and the report made by these gentlemen was highly creditable to teachers and pupils, and quite satisfactory to the Board. On January 2, 1872, the Board adopted a course of study, rules and regulations, and had the same printed in pamphlet form for gratuitous distribution among the people. During this year, Mr. Simonton, the principal, obtained permission of the Board to give a number of public school entertainments, for the purpose of raising money to purchase a suitable bell for house No. 1. His efforts were successful beyond expectation, and the fine bell thus secured to the school department has ever since been ringing out notes of praise to all who par- ticipated in this worthy object. The cost of the bell was $325.


The teachers elected for the term beginning January, 1872, were the same as last term, with the exception that Mrs. Kidder resigned and J. McFadden was elected and assigned to the South Vallejo school.


On the 23d day of April, 1872, Mr. Simonton, after so many years of faithful service in the cause of education, was compelled to hand in his resignation on account of failing health. After several ineffectual attempts on the part of the Board to induce him to continue, his resignation was finally accepted on the 7th of May, 1872. After accepting the resignation of Prof. Simonton, the following resolutions were unanimously passed by the Board:


" Resolved, That it is with unfeigned regret we are called upon to part with our late Principal, G. W. Simonton, he having filled that position for years with honor to himself, profit to the children of Vallejo, and the per- fect satisfaction of the Board.


Resolved, That the thanks of this Board are due, and are hereby tendered to him for many valuable suggestions, and his unremitting efforts in assist- ing us to arrange and perfect our present school system.


Resolved, That we cordially recommend him to all interested in educa- cational matters as a gentleman in every way competent, and worthy of their entire confidence and esteem."


On June 11, 1872, the following teachers were elected for the term com- mencing July next :


C. B. Towle, Principal of the High School; W. F. Roe, Teacher of Lan- guages ; Miss Kate Hall, First Assistant in the High School; Miss Julia Benjamin, Second Assistant, High School; Miss Mary Tourtelott, Third Assistant, High School ; A. W. Dozier, Principal of the Grammar Depart- ment ; Miss F. A. Frisbie, Miss Delia Sweatland, Mrs. C. A. Kidder and Miss J. Belle Murphy, Assistants ; Wm. Crowhurst, Principal of the Primary Department ; Miss C. F. Barney, Miss Etta Thompson and Fannie Watson, Assistants ; J. A. McFadden, Principal of the South Vallejo School; Miss Mary Tobin, Assistant.


16


242


THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.


On July 13, 1872, a petition having been received from a number of citizens residing near the Orphans' Home asking the Board of Education to open a public school in the Home building, and the consent of the officers of that institution having been obtained, it was agreed to by the Board, and Prof. N. Smith was elected to teach the school, all to be under the same rules and regulations governing the Vallejo Public School.


It may here be interesting to give the amount of money disbursed the past school year as appears from the Secretary's report dated June, 1872. Sal- aries, $13,745.45 ; interest on Mackay's note, $750; interest on money bor- rowed to pay teachers, $510.40; repairs and improvements, $1,020.39; school supplies, $691.99 ; school furniture, $354.25 ; rents, $337 ; insurance, $264.35 ; grading and constructing sidewalks, $175.40; fuel, $148.33; water, $114.80 ; printing, $121.25 ; incidentals, $129.55 ; library, $50 ; expressage, $20-total $18,433.16.


The receipts for the same year were from the following sources : Balance in Treasury at beginning of the year $69.36 ; received from the State Fund, $4,741.35 ; received from the County Fund, $7,842.65; received from the District Special Tax, $4,234.29; received from the City Special Tax, $2,415.21-total $19,302.86.


On July 13, 1872, the death of E. H. M. Baily one of the School Directors was announced and suitable resolutions of respect and condolence passed by the Board.


On November 4th following, Mr. F. Carlton having been duly appointed School Director by the Superintendent to fill the vacancy in the Board occasioned by the death of Mr. Baily, he qualified, and took his seat.


January 20, 1873, the Board of Education elected the following named teachers to act as City Board of Examination : N. B. Klink, President ; C. B. Towle, W. F. Roe, Melville Dozier, Wm. Crowhurst, A. W. Dozier and W. H. Fry, County Superintendent.


The following teachers were elected for the term beginning in January, 1873: C. B. Towle, Principal of High School ; W. F. Roe, Professor of Languages ; Miss Kate Hall, Assistant in High School; A. W. Dozier, Prin- cipal of Grammar Department; G. W. Simonton, Second Grade; Miss Delia Sweatland, First Division, Third Grade ; Miss Julia Benjamin, Second Divi- sion, Third Grade ; Miss P. A. Frisbie, First Division, Fourth Grade; Miss Isabelle A. Murphy, Second Division, Fourth Grade; Wm. Crowhurst, Principal of Primary Department; Miss Etta L. Thompson, Second Grade ; Miss Mary Tourtelott, Third Grade; Miss Jennie S. Klink, Assistant in Third Grade ; Mrs. C. A. Kidder, Fourth Grade ; Melville Dozier, Principal, South Vallejo; N. Smith, Principal Orphans' Home; Miss Jane Anderson, Colored School.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.