USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 100
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The population in 1800 was 710. 85 deaths occurred from 1790 to 1800. The new- comers were : James Alden, 1792. Moses and Benjamin Alden, 1795. Isaiah Bonney, 1792. Samuel Bowing. Wait and Simeon Bradford, 1792, Arthur Bradman. John Brown, 1798. Alden Blossom, 1800. Benjamin Conant,1 1795. Luther Cary, 1798. Zachari Cary, 1800. Benjamin Chamberlain, 1792. Zachariah Chiekering. Jonathan Cushman. Benjamin Evans, 1795. William Hariden. Samuel Irish. Sylvester Jones, 1795. Samuel Kinsley. Isaiah and Cyrus Leavitt, 1796. William, and William, Jr, Loring, 1791. John Loring, 1792. Joseph Ludden, 1791. Levi Lndden, 1796. Caleb Lumbard, 1796. Willard Mason, 1799. William May. Abijah Morse. Samnel Pumpilly. 1792. Bennet Pumpilly, 1791. Dan Pratt, 1799. Elisha Pratt, 1797. Job Randall, 1797. Samuel Roberts. Nathaniel and Jesse Robertson, 1798. Nathaniel Sawtell, 1798. Simon and William Silly. Moses Smith, 1792. John Soul, 1794. Samuel Spear. Moses Swett. Judah Teague, 1798. Abner Thayer, 1791. Robinson Turner, 1793. John Turner, 1798. Ephraim and Charles Turner, 1792. John Turner, 2d, 1796. Daniel Tuttle. Isaae Washburn. Southworth Washburn. James Whitman, 1797. Nathaniel Shaw, 1800.
In 1802 a number of families became residents; among them those of Caleb Brown, John Cobb, Francis Cushing, Stephen Drew, David Hale, David Talbot, Reuben Thorp, David Hood. In 1804, voted (for the first time ) for presi- dential electors ; also to annex the north part of the town to Livermore, and to form a new county. In 1805 the Universalist Society was allowed "to use the meeting-house a portion of the time." From 1803 to 1806 the voting list was increased by James Lara, Caleb Snell, Oliver Pollard, James Torrey, John Streeter, Elisha Sylvester, Simeon Waistcoat, Martin Leonard, Stephen Safford,
1 Benjamin Conant, born in 1756 in Bridgewater, Mass., served in the Revolution, and came in 1795. His wife was Elizabeth Hooper. His sons, Marcus, Benjamin, Hooper, and Hezekiah, passed their lives here. Benjamin,2 born in 1794, died in 1868. He m. Alethea Staples. Children: Alonzo, Leonard, Abigail, Betsey, Benjamin, Clarissa, Hezekialı, Lewis, Oscar, and Ahneda. Hooper, born July 10, 1793, m. Anna Keene. Children: Calvin, Anna B., Lot, Winslow, Lucetta K., and Isaac. Silvanus Conant, born in Bridgewater, May 23, 1747, was a Revolutionary soldier, moved to Turner, where he died June 22, 1828. He had one son, Sylvanus, who served in the War of 1812. Sylvanus m. 1st, Mary Packard, and 2d, Patience Flagg. Children: Everett Q., Edwin A., Mary A. (m. (1) Henry Tuttle, (2) Solon Chase, of Buckfield), Martha J., John A., Horatio G., and Sylvanus M. Benjamin,3 born in Turner. September 5, 1825, settled in Auburn, and, in 1850, formed with Lewis Bradford the firm of Bradford & Conant, which, in 1852, engaged in the furniture business. Mr Conant died in 1885. Anna B. Conant, born in 1818, in. Isaac Haskell, of Auburn. Children: Ellen M., m. S. P. Merrill; Kate F., m. W. E. Holmes; Lizzie H., m. A. M. Peables, M.D .; Frank A .; Annie C .; I. Newton; F. Nelson; Charles S. Calvin, born June 15, 1817, m. Celia Staples. Children: Winslow; Charles S .; Phoebe A., m. James W. Talbot; James A .; Olivia C., m. Wm R. Dill; George C .; Lizzie E., m. C. C. Young; Albion L .; Lois D., m. F. P. Talbot; Henry F .; Hannah A .; Frederick L .; Alonzo L. Everett Q., born April 2, 1809, in Turner, m. Lurania Turner, of Livermore.
813
TOWN OF TURNER.
Dr Timothy Howe, and others. In 1807 the "river road was laid out," and 66 votes were cast for and 33 against "making Maine a state." Up to 1810 many roads were laid out, and large sums for those days were voted for highways. The work of clearing the fields and building a better class of houses and barns had commenced, and some sections had quite a garden-like appearance. In 1810 there were 1,128 inhabitants, and a bounty on crows of 17 cents was voted. In 1811 dangers threatened ; $50 was voted for a powder- house, and in 1812 a committee was chosen to consider "our present alarming situation," and ascertain how best to secure volunteers for the army.1 In 1814 $500 was voted for a bridge across Twenty-mile river. In 1815, petitioned the legislature for permission to divide the interest of ministerial fund. In 1816, voted 75 for, 65 against erecting Maine into a state. In 1819, 151 votes were cast for, 15 against, forming the state of Maine, and Gen. John Turner and Dr Philip Bradford were chosen delegates to the convention to form a state constitution. In 1820, the population was 1,720, 286 families, 287 persons engaged in agriculture, 35 in manufacturing. In 1821 David Talbot and Alden Blossom were licensed as "inn-holders," Cyrus Clark, William Parris, Alden Blossom, and Isaac Chase "to retail strong liquors." In 1822 "voted to indemnify the trustees of the school fund from harm in consequence of a part of the interest of said fund being expended in a common English school."
1823, raised $600 for roads. Men to have $1 per day till the middle of July, from then to December 75 cents, and 50 cents in other months ; oxen 75 cents per day. Raised $500 for schools, $500 for the poor. The poor were bid off at auction, at from 16 to 25 cents a week. 1824, cattle, excepting cows, were prohibited from running at large. Voted the town pay every soldier doing duty at the brigade review, 20 cents in lieu of rations. 1826, raised $1,000 for highways and bridges. 1827, voted to build Meadow Brook bridge. 1828, appointed a committee to see if deeds could be obtained of the burying places. Instructed the high- way surveyors not to furnish liquor to laborers. 1829, raised $300 for a county road near the Androscoggin river. 1830, voted to build a town house. Population 2,218. 1831, located the town house, and raised $300 to build it. 1832, raised $1,000 for schools. 1833, prohibited cattle from running at large. 1834, voted to open a road and build a bridge near Philip Williams's. 1835, accepted the road from Snell's hill to the road from Turner village to Minot. 1836, raised $3,500 for roads and bridges. 1838, bought a town farm. 1839, raised $6,100 for town expenses. Chose a committee for surplus revenue fund. 1840, population 2,479; 1,365 engaged in agriculture ; 192 in manufacture and trades ; 7 in professions ; 1 in navigation ; 13 Revolutionary pensioners ; 1 deaf-and-dumb person ; 5 insane persons ; . grammar school ; 10 grammar scholars; 17 primary schools ; 1,067 scholars between 4 and 21; 10 scholars at public charge ; 8 white persons over 20 years of age
1 War f 1812. - Judge Prince says in his sketch of Turner: "In this war the following served on the Canada frontier one year or more: Capt. Stephen Turner, Isaac Allen, James Allen, James Allen, Jr, Jacob Merrill, William Lombard, Theodocins Merrill, Peter Lombard, John Bailey, Charles Star ies, Josiah Keen, Israel Smith, Jacob Keen, and Barnet Pumpilly. The two companies of infantry, commanded by Captains Seth Staples and Aaron Soule, and one of artillery, Capt. Leonard Richmond, were ordered to Portland in September, 1814, where they served two weeks, when one-half were drafted for 40 days longer. The artillery also remained. Benjamin Jones furnished nine sons.
814
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
who cannot read and write. For the next four years much action was taken concerning roads. 1845, voted to repair or rebuild the bridge near Zebulon Bearce's and alter Lower street. 1846, raised $3,000 for roads and bridges. Chose a committee to prosecute violations of the license law. 1849, voted to accept the road from John Swett's to Samuel Barrell's. Annexed lands of Richard Hutchinson, of Hartford. 1850, appropriated $100 for a bridge across Martin stream. 1851, built a bridge across Twenty-Mile river. Raised $1,200 for schools. 1853, voted to build a covered bridge at Turner village, and to raise $1,000 for that purpose. Voted to build a permanent covered bridge at Bradford's village. 1854, raised $8,900 for town expenses. 1855, voted to build a "Kingpost" bridge near Daniel Russell's. 1856, elected William R. French supervisor of schools. Voted to sell the town farm. 1857, deeded the burying-ground at Turner village to a corporation. Voted to purchase the Martin Harris farm for a poor farm. 1858, voted to pay $2,433 for building the river road. 1859, Charles E. Bradford supervisor of schools. Raised $1,521 for schools.
1860, renewed the marks and bounds between Turner and Auburn, Buckfield, Hebron, and Minot. 1861, chose superintending school committee in place of supervisor. 1862, raised $2,700 for poor and town charges; $1,610 for schools; $5,000 for roads and bridges. Voted to exempt from taxation all manufactories of cotton and woolen fabrics, hereafter erected in town. 1863, opened the county road from Cushing's school-house to Farmington road. Raised $1,050 to build a covered bridge across Twenty-mile river, near Benjamin Briggs's. 1864, raised $450 to build bridge at Keen's Mills.
Action in the Rebellion. - Turner sent 319 soldiers to the Union army; paid $62,445 in bounties ; $1,575 for soldiers' relief; $6,782.11 aid to families. 1861, August 26, authorized the selectmen to provide for volunteers' families, and hire $300 for that purpose. 1862, April 12, voted $300 for soldiers' and sailors' families. July 26, instructed the selectmen to hire $3,000, and to pay $100 to new volunteers within 15 days. Angust 23, voted to pay nine-months' men $20 each when mustered into service; to pay $30 to his wife or to whom he may designate. 1863, November 4, voted to pay $100 to each volunteer under the last call. November 28, voted to pay to each volunteer $250 in addition to the $100. 1864, February 9, instructed the treasurer to hire $800 to pay to soldiers' families. August 6, authorized the selectmen to open recruiting offices in town, and voted to pay $25 to each volunteer or substitute. Instructed the selectmen to solicit subscriptions to obtain volun- teers. August 10, instructed the selectmen to give a town note (not exceeding $20,000) to each individual for amount paid by him to obtain volunteers to fill the quota under the call for 500,000 men. August 20, instructed treasurer to hire $1,000 to furnish aid to families. August 26, voted to pay $300 for one year's service. September 2, to give each man who furnishes a substitute a three-years' note of $300. 1865, January 10, voted $12,000 to fill the quota, and to pay $300 for one year, $400 for two years, $500 for three years. January 17, voted to pay $300 to each drafted person who serves one year. February 11, voted to raise $5,000 additional. March 1, voted to pay $200 to each volunteer under the present call.
1866, voted to fund the town debt. 1867, raised $16,000. 1868, Chose Phillips Bradford and Isaac Teague to superintend the building of Russell bridge. 1870, chose & committee to investigate town affairs. 1873, abolished school districts. Raised $500 for free high schools. 1875, raised $5,500 for roads and bridges. 1877, raised $1,500 for a school-house at Turner Village. Chose Rufus Prince to purchase a hearse, etc., expenses not to exceed $400. 1878, appropriated $10 to Wilson Post for Decoration Day. 1879, directed the selectmen to prepare a suitable landing at Maybury's Ferry.
1880, a hard-fought battle between Democrats and Republicans at annual meeting; elected for first and second selectmen, Democrats, and for third selectman a Republican,
815
TOWN OF TURNER.
after balloting 21 times. 1883, J. T. Cushing, supervisor of schools. Raised $2,700 for schools, and $180.50 for high schools. Voted to buy a road-machine and to open the county road from C. H. Barrell's to F. A. Allen's. 1884, instructed the selectmen to build a school- house in the French district. Money raised, $8,198. 1885, voted to open two new roads. 1886, Elisha Pratt, supervisor of schools. Voted that the centennial committee be allowed $500; also to rebuild the school-house at Turner Village. 1887, raised $3,500 for roads and bridges. 1888, raised $1,600 to pay on town debt. E. V. Stevens, supervisor of schools. 1890, A. T. Gilmore supervisor of schools. Wm B. Bradford, treasurer; Walter B. Beals, town agent. Money raised, $8,825. 1891, raised $10,000 for town expenses.
CHAPTER L.
County Roads and Taverns - Industries, Traders, Etc. - Turner Village - Turner Centre -North Turner - Keen's Mills -Chase's Mills - Bridges - Civil List.
C OUNTY ROADS AND TAVERNS, INDUSTRIES, TRADERS, ETC. - John Keen hung out the first tavern sign in 1792, one-half mile north of Jacob Leavitt's house. Dr Howe says that the first county road was completed in 1806 on the route between Farmington and Portland, the main thoroughfare for nearly 20 years. Upon it the taverns of Joseph Leavitt (the first in town), Gen. Alden Blossom (who was also in trade for years alone and in company with Martin Leonard), Isaiah Leavitt and David Talbot were located. In 1825 a new county road was opened between Farmington and Portland, through North Turner and Turner Village. Isaac Gross opened a hotel at the village in 1835, which he kept for 16 years. Wm S. Young opened one at
North Turner. The same year a county road was located on the route from Concord, N. H., to Augusta. Major Seth Beal opened a tavern on this road near the Androscoggin, and Church Leavitt one at North Turner Bridge. The road from Buckfield to Monmouth, crossing the river at Turner Centre Bridge, was also opened this year. Ezekiel Martin kept a tavern on the county road along the Androscoggin. Mark Andrews was the first trader in town. He kept his goods in his saddle-bags for some years. He and his brother, Samuel, who came in 1779, were soon in company as traders on the farm on Lower street, so long occupied by Rev. George Bates. In 1786 Mark Andrews bought lot 76 in first division, and in deed was called of Berkeley. In 1793 some of the stock was spelling-books, mouse-traps, jew's-harps, fish-hooks, penknives, buttings, tacks, biscuit, gingerbread, and cakes. John Loring opened a store on Upper street in 1792. He afterwards was at the village. William Bradford, here in 1777, was a blacksmith and farmer. Daniel French, 1781, was the first tanner; at first he pounded his bark with a hammer.
816
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Joseph Ludden, 1791, was an iron worker, and the principal blacksmith for years. Aaron Rogers and Caleb Bourne had blacksmith shops at the village in 1818.
TURNER VILLAGE. - Samuel Blake contracted with the proprietors in 1774 to " build a grist and saw mill within one year from October 25th, and keep them in repair for 12 years," he to receive the mill-lot, the preparations already made for building, and £33-6-8 L. M. This mill was built at Turner Village, and destroyed by the freshet of 1785. This was a great loss to the settlers, but they dug out stump mortars in which to crush corn, and a small mill was put up east of " Meeting-house hill," which made meal until the water froze. Samuel Andrews applied a windmill to his mortar. After one year Blake's new mills were in operation, and this power has been in use almost continually since. Major Oliver Pollard owned the mills from 1800 to 1817, when Col Cyrus Clark became owner, rebuilt the saw-mill, and ran it many years. It passed through several hands before it was burned in 1856, when it belonged to Solon Chase and Daniel French, who rebuilt it, and later sold to Charles Blake and Asa Jones. Mr Jones sold it in 1885 to Charles F. Willard, who also bought the tannery of Lucius Dresser (started by him in 1840), and put in a box and lumber mill, where he employs from 15 to 30 hands. The grist-mill, inherited by Gen. Philo Clark, was burned in 1856, and one of the best of modern mills was erected; it is operated by W. B. Beals. Before 1800 a fulling mill was built at Turner Village by David Gorham, who was succeeded successively by Alanson Cary and Isaac Gross. The latter carried it on from 1820 until it was discontinued in his old age. He held many public positions, and was Republican elector in 1856. He died January 12, 1881, aged 85. About 1810 Nathan Cole built oil and carding mills, which were run by several Coles. The oil-mill, later owned by Payne Merrill and Melzar Gilbert, was closed in 1836, and John Donham built a carriage factory on its site, which was burned in 1856, rebuilt, and enlarged for a carriage and box factory. Benjamin W. Knapp, born in Danville in 1837, was the next owner. He is a Methodist and a useful citizen, and now carries on carriage making. Wm B. Bray, George Mitchell, and Hiram Donham enlarged and changed the carding-mill to a tub, churn, and pail factory, which was burned in 1856.
The Turner Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1836 with Job Prince, Major Hiram Clark, Isaac Gross, Gen. John Turner, and Charles Snell, directors; Gen. Alden Blossom obtaining the charter. A large brick building was built, but the panic of 1837 stopped the work until 1840, when Merrill, Cole & Co. began to make flannels, satinets, etc. After passing through several owners Dwight T. Faulkner purchased the property and made flannel until the mill was burned in 1856. In 1862 the mill was rebuilt, and it has been in operation most of the time since. It employs 50 hands and does a yearly business of $50,000. It is the largest factory of the town, and Francis
817
TOWN OF TURNER.
T. Faulkner,' the proprietor, who has had charge of the business since 1862, has often run it at a very small profit in order to help his employés.
F. H. Mitchell & Co. employ 8 to 10 men in making fancy saddlery, and do a business of $5,000 a year.
William B. Bray probably opened the first store in the village. Col Cyrus Clark had a store from 1818 till his death, January 24, 1835. Gen. Philo Clark built a store on upper Main street and conducted trade from 1831 to 1849. Jesse and Hira Bradford, Jason and William Mitchell, Wallace Clark, C. H. Littlefield have traded here, and now Rev. A. N. Jones is in trade at the same stand. His immediate predecessors were F. W. North, L'Heureux Bros., and Henry Hildreth. William Harris was in trade from 1825 to 1837. W. B. Bray, Jr, was in trade from 1823 for some time; his brother Jefferson succeeded him. Jesse Bradford, son of Dura and grandson of Jesse, was a merchant for years. His son, William B., was born in Turner, April 17, 1862, and from a boy has traded in the store he now occupies. He has been town treasurer several years, and does a yearly business of over $15,000.
John Blake has carried on trade alone and with others. William H. French, born in Auburn in 1844, dealer in stoves, hardware, and tinware, has conducted trade for 24 years and been town treasurer three years. Other traders are William L. Bonney, Carlos E. Kempton.2 W. B. Beals has an extensive trade in flour, corn, meal, and feed. A. E. Bradford deals in wool. J. C. Hobbs sells fruit, confectionery, etc.
With its manufactories, its live traders, its hotel, " Travelers' Home," two churches, flourishing Masonic (see pages 245 and 250), Odd Fellow (see page 280), and temperance societies, in the midst of an intelligent community, Turner is a typical New England village and proud of its new bridge, which this year was built in place of the old covered one.
1 Francis T. Faulkner, son of Dwight T. and Elizabeth (Cole) Faulkner, was born in Boston, Mass., March 27, 1834. He is very prominent in Masonic circles, and is undoubtedly one of the best informed Masons in the county. He was made a Mason at West Randolph, Mass., in 1836. He joined Nezinscot Lodge in 1862, was W. M. three years, and has held office nearly all the time since. He has been District Deputy Grand Master and a member of the Grand Lodge, and is a member of Royal Arch Chapter, Dunlap Council, Lewiston Commandery, Lewiston Lodge of Perfection, Princes of Jerusalem, Dunlap Chapter Rose Croix of Portland, Maine Consistory of Portland, Red Cross Knights of Con- stantine, Aleppo Chapter Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Blake Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Turner, and Pokumkeswawaumokesis Lodge of Improved Order of Red Men of Lewiston.
2 Carlos E. Kempton, son of Amasa D. and Lucy C. (Hunt) Kempton, was born March 4, 1846, at East Bethel, Vt. He attended Maine Wesleyan Seminary and Eastman's Business College, Pough- keepsie, N. Y. He has lived in Turner many years. In 1868 he joined Nezinscot Lodge, F. & A. M., and was Master from 1871-1873. He received his chapter degree in King Hiram Chapter, Lewiston, in 1872, and was High Priest of Turner Chapter for seven years from its organization. He is a Republi- can, an active member of the Baptist church, and a worthy and valuable citizen. He is an apothecary, and also has a good stock of fancy goods, paints, and oils. "No man can get a drop of intoxicating liquors at his store." He is an excellent pharmacist and his store is a model of neatness.
818
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
TURNER CENTRE .- Jesse Bradford, Gen. John Turner, and Henry Jones built saw and grist mills at Turner Centre (then Bradford Village) in 1795, on a privilege leased from Joseph Copeland. It was soon burned and rebuilt by Turner and Bradford. Joseph Ludden purchased it after Jesse Bradford's death, in 1829, and operated it thereafter. Mr Ludden and Hartson Bradford also bought the saw-mill. A fulling mill was built here very early by John Haley, later operated by the Bradfords, and still later by William Harris. Anson Gott turned it into a wooden bowl factory. Hosea Cushman had a trip hammer in his blacksmith shop, run by water. These mills were active until swept off by high water in 1845. The privilege then reverted to the heirs of Joseph Copeland and David Hood. The Hood interest was bought by Lyman Eustis and Eland Fuller and no manufacturing is done. Reuben Thorp conducted a pottery of brown earthenware for years from 1802. He died in 1823. Here also Hannibal Thompson made for many years famous spinning- wheels. Leonard Richmond early built a house, a store, and a shop where he made reeds for hand looms. Thomas Additon, Joel Fairbanks, and William Mitchell also made reeds. The Centre has been a good place for trade. Besides Richmond, the merchants have been Samuel Wood, Jesse Hartson, Hira Bradford, Joel Paine, Allen Bonney and perhaps others before Lewis P. Bradford, the present trader, came.
The Turner Centre Dairying Association was incorporated in 1882 for the "manufacture of butter, cheese, and evaporated apples." The industry established by this company is located in a rich valley at Turner Centre, surrounded by splendid hill and valley farms, conducted by intelligent, wide- awake farmers. A cheese factory was located there early in the introduction of the associated system of dairying into Maine. This was successful, and the product had a great reputation. Later the creamery system was introduced and, still retaining the cheese factory, the basement was fitted up, and Edwin L. Bradford began to make butter February 4, 1884. As the excellence of the product became known, the best markets sought its goods. This attracted the attention of the farmers and private dairymen, who also turned their cream into the factory. In 1888 the manufacture of cheese was abandoned, the building remodelled and refitted into a first-class creamery, with all the facilities to carry on a large business. The daily capacity is about 1,000 pounds. $62,000 was distributed last year among the patrons. The business is done under the name Turner Centre Creamery. It has a warehouse on Main street, Lewiston, and sends a large amount of cream to Massachusetts cities. The efficient butter maker, Mr Bradford, has brought good sense, inventive skill, and adaptive ability to the work, and should have a large share of the honor of the success.
L. P. Bradford's store, the Grange Hall, the Universalist church, and some mechanics and lovely homesteads make up a pleasant rural community.
819
TOWN OF TURNER.
NORTH TURNER. - The Keen family has done much to develop this pro- gressive village and its life has been given by their untiring efforts. There are now saw, shingle, carding, and grist mills here, a large chair factory, a canning factory, a well-stocked store, a large brick hotel, and varied industries. Caleb House, Jr, was the first settler in this part of the town, and he located on House's hill, in 1792. At the time of the centennial, four of his children were in the procession, aged 88, 86, 83, and 78 years. Joseph Merrill was the first blacksmith in this part. He died in 1838. Cornelius T. Richardson was the first ironworker in the village, and wrought all kinds of utensils in iron and steel, axes, knives, fine pitchforks, etc. Caleb Gilbert, the first settler within a mile of the village, built a saw-mill on Martin's stream, before 1800. He sold his land (west half of lots 238 and 239) with mill and privilege to John Keen,1 of Sumner, in 1803, for $1,600. Mr Keen came in January, 1804. A grist- mill was soon built. Both were burned; the saw-mill in 1814, the other in 1818. Here the first wooden-bowl factory in Maine is said to have been estab- lished, in 1819, by James Hale ; sold the next year to Josiah Keen. Later a carding and cloth-dressing mill was built by Captain John A. Kimball, and a carriage shop by Essec Fuller2 in 1851. In 1870 J. M. Phinney was cutting boards, staves, and short lumber, and Lewis A. Farrar now manufactures dimension lumber. Lebbeus Keen owns the grist-mill, which is leased to
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.