History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 39

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 39


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


JOHN W. MAY, son of Hon. Seth May, was born in Winthrop, January 21, 1828. He was graduated from Bowdoin College in 1852. He read law with his father in Winthrop, and was admitted to the bar in Kennebec county in 1857. He practiced in Winthrop until 1863, when he removed to Auburn, and continued practice with his father, under the firm name of S. & J. W. May, in Lewiston until 1873. He was admitted to practice in the U. S. Circuit Court at Portland in 1867, was appointed register in bankruptcy in 1873, and held that office until the repeal of the bankruptcy law in 1878. He married, in 1869, Miss Hattie B. Wiggin, daughter of Dr H. L. K. Wiggin, of Auburn. Mr May, while not entirely relinquishing the practice of his profession, has for several years past given his attention to the management of his estate. He is


327


THE COURTS AND BENCH AND BAR.


a gentleman of fine literary tastes, and has written several humorous and other poems, a volume of which was published by him a few years since and was received with marked favor by his friends, for whose pleasure it was printed.


ALBION K. P. KNOWLTON was born at New Portland, Me, December 10, 1829. He fitted for college at Hebron Academy, and was graduated at Colby University, then Waterville College, in 1854. He was principal of Thomaston Academy from 1856 to 1859, and of the Lewiston High School from 1860 to 1863. He was admitted to the bar in 1860, having read law in the office of Fessenden & Frye, and has always practiced his profession in Lewiston. He was judge of the Lewiston Municipal Court from 1872 to 1876, and alderman of Lewiston in 1871, 1886, and 1887. He is Past Master of Rabboni Lodge, F. and A. M., Past High Priest of King Hiram R. A. Chapter, and a member of Dunlap Council and Lewiston Commandery, K. T.


BARTLETT C. FROST, son of Oliver P. and Esther Frost, was born in Leeds. He emigrated from the state several years since and is now attorney- at-law and solicitor in chancery at Phillipsburg, N. J., and has attained prominence in his profession.


HON. MANDEVILLE TREAT LUDDEN was born at Canton, Me, February 17, 1830. He was educated at the public schools and at Maine Wesleyan Seminary. Ile studied law with Hon. Timothy Ludden, of Turner, and grad- uated at the Harvard Law School in 1854. He was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county, August, 1854, and was the first one admitted to the bar in the county after its incorporation. January 1, 1856, he was married to Miss Mary E. Jewett, at Kent's Hill, who survives hin. He commenced practice at Turner with Hon. Timothy Ludden. In 1869 he moved to Lewiston, where he resided until his decease. In 1863 he was elected county attorney of Androscoggin county and re-elected in 1864. In 1867 and 1868 he was elected state senator. He was city solicitor of Lewiston from 1871 to 1881, was a member of the common council and of the board of aldermen, and was elected mayor in 1881. Bowdoin College conferred upon him the honorary degree of Master of Arts, in 1880. Mr Ludden died at Lewiston, September 21, 1882. The appendix to volume 79 of Maine Reports contains a truthful biographical sketch of Mr Ludden, written by his partner, Col. F. M. Drew, from which the following is taken :-


Mr Ludden was an able counselor and a successful advocate. . . . . In his practice, while he was faithful to his client, he did not forget that in the temple of justice he was also a priest to guard its sacred shrine. . . . He was a kind and generous man. How- ever humble or poor, no one ever in vain solicited his services from want of influence or money, and no client was ever oppressed for payment of the compensation he had justly earned. ... But above all these good qualities and virtues, as the heavenly is above the earthly, he was a Christian man . . . respected and esteemed by all who knew him.


HON. WILLIAM P. FRYE, LL.D., son of Colonel John M. Frye, born at Lewiston, September 2, 1831, was graduated at Bowdoin College in the class


328


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


of 1850, and admitted to the bar in Lineoln county at the October term of the Supreme Judicial Court, 1852. He was a member of the legislature in 1861, 1862, and 1867; was mayor of Lewiston in 1866 and 1867; was attorney- general of the state of Maine in 1867, 1868, and 1869; was elected member of the National Republican Executive Committee in 1872, re-elected in 1876, also in 1880; was elected a trustee of Bowdoin College in June, 1880; received the degree of LL.D. from Bates College in July, 1881 ; was presidential elector in 1864; was a delegate to the National Republican Conventions in 1872, 1876, and 1880; was elected chairman of the Republican State Committee of Maine in place of Hon. James G. Blaine, resigned, in November, 1881; was elected a representative from the second district in Maine in the Forty-second, Forty- third, Forty-fourth, Forty-fifth, Forty-sixth, and Forty-seventh Congresses; was elected to the United States Senate, as a Republican, to fill the vaeaney occasioned by the resignation of Hon. James G. Blaine (appointed Secretary of State), and took his seat March 18, 1881; was re-elected in 1883, also in 1889. Mr Frye married Miss Caroline F. Spear, of Rockland, daughter of Captain Archibald Spear. He has been a leading member of the Androscoggin bar from the date of the incorporation of the county, a successful advocate, a brilliant orator, and among the foremost of the Republican leaders in the country, maintaining a high position in the U. S. Senate as a legislator and statesman.


IION. ENOS T. LUCE was born in Wilton, January 27, 1832. The expenses for his education were obtained by his own labors, teaching school and working in a mill. He fitted for college at Farmington Academy, and was graduated from Bowdoin in 1856. In December, 1856, he became principal of Lewiston Falls Academy for one year. He studied law with Hon. Nathan Clifford, of Portland, and Record & Walton in Auburn. He was admitted to praetiee as an attorney January 27, 1859, and became a member of the law firm of Record, Walton & Luce. Mr Walton was elected to Congress in 1860, and retired from the firm. The firm of Record & Luce continued until September, 1862, when Mr Luee entered the army as lieutenant-colonel of the Twenty-third Maine. He was in the army until July, 1863. The next fall he was elected judge of probate. He continued the practice of law, occasionally taking a hand in politics, until 1869, when he was appointed U. S. assessor of internal revenue for the Second District of Maine. In 1869 he was a member of the common couneil of Auburn, also one of the superintending school com- mittee. In 1871 he was appointed judge of the municipal court, Lewiston, and resigned the office of judge of probate. In 1872 he published the Maine Probate Mannal for the use of practitioners in the probate courts. The manual is in use in most of the counties of the state. In 1873 he was connected with the U. S. geological survey of Colorado. In 1874 he moved to Somerville, Mass., and practiced law in Boston until 1881, when he was appointed judge of the


329


THE COURTS AND BENCH AND BAR.


Second District Court of Eastern Middlesex, holden at Waltham, Mass., where he now resides. He has served on the school boards of Somerville and Wal- tham, and for several years has been president of the Waltham Savings Bank. While in Auburn and Lewiston his attainments as a lawyer secured him the respect of the courts, the esteem of his brethren at the bar, and the confidence of his clients, and he was highly respected for his honorable character, and for his interest in and efforts for the intellectual, moral, and material welfare of the two cities. Judge Luce married first, Mrs Phebe L. Adams, of Wilton, who died in 1874; second, Miss Sarah J. Mills, in 1879.


SETH D. WASHBURN, son of Reuel Washburn, was born at Livermore, June 21, 1832. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at Farmington Academy. He studied law with his father and was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county in January, 1861. He married Miss Julia C., daughter of Job Chase, Esq., of Livermore, March 8, 1871. He practiced his profession for about twelve years, when he abandoned the law for agriculture. While he takes a deep interest as a citizen in whatever appears to be beneficial to his native town, he has steadily refused all offices, although frequently solicited to accept them at the hands of his fellow-citizens, devoting himself to the management of his private affairs. He is esteemed by his townsmen and all others who know him as an honorable man.


AUGUSTUS M. PULSIFER, son of Moses Rust Pulsifer, M.D., formerly of Poland, and Mary Strout (Dunn) Pulsifer, was born in Sullivan, June 15, 1834, and was a graduate of Bowdoin College in the class of 1858. He read law with Record, Walton & Luce, in Auburn, and was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county in September, 1860. He has served as chairman of the school board, and as president of the common council of the city of Anburn. He was county attorney from 1870 to 1873, inclusive, and was one of the projectors and a director of the Auburn Aqueduct Company. The Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company was organized by him in 1870, and he has been a director and its treasurer and clerk since its formation. Mr Pulsifer retains his connection with the Bar Association, but his duties as an officer of the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company have so engrossed his atten- tion and occupied his time that he has rarely undertaken the conduct of trials in the courts. He married July 2, 1863, Harriet, daughter of George W. Chase, Esq., of Auburn. They have seven children, the eldest of whom, Jeanie Deane Pulsifer, is an artist ; and the next, James A. Pulsifer, is a grad- uate of Colby University, class of 1888, and of the National Law School in Washington, D. C., class of 1891.


JOHN D. STETSON was born in Durham in March, 1835, and was grad- uated from Bowdoin College in the class of 1858. He taught the Lewiston High School four years, then read law in the office of Fessenden & Frye, and was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county, January, 1860. He


ยท


330


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


commenced practice in Lewiston, remaining there until 1877, when he removed to Red Wing, Minn.


MARSHAL DINEY CHAPLIN was born in Bridgton, October 18, 1836. He fitted for college at the North Bridgton Academy, graduated from Bowdoin College in the class of 1860, studied law with Hon. Henry C. Peabody, of Portland, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar, January, 1864, and commenced practice in Lewiston, where he continued in business until his decease. He came to his death by being burned in his lodging room adjoining his office on Lisbon street in Lewiston, on the night of December 3, 1870. Mr Chaplin was rather retiring in his habits. A gentleman of fine literary tastes and acquirements, his kindly disposition secured him many friends.


EMERY O. BICKNELL was born in Paris, March 30, 1837, was educated at the Oxford Normal Institute and Bethel Academy, and took a special academie course, covering a part of a college course. He read law with Record, Walton & Luce, at Auburn, was admitted to the Androscoggin bar, September, 1860, and commenced practice in Lewiston. In June, 1869, he located in Boston, where he is in practice. IIe was elected county attorney of Androscoggin county in 1866, and held the office three years. He married Margaretta Tracy, June 24, 1868, at Lisbon.


COL. FRANKLIN M. DREW was born in Turner, July 19, 1837, was fitted for college at Hebron Academy, and was graduated from Bowdoin College in 1858. He read law with Bradbury, Merrill & Meserve in Augusta, and was admitted to the bar in Kennebec county April 3, 1861. He had been assistant clerk of the Maine house of representatives in 1860-1, and in June, 1861, he began practice in Presque Isle, Aroostook county. In August he was nominated for county attorney, but deciding to enter military service the nomination was declined. Volunteering for three years' service October 22, 1861, he was com- missioned captain of Co. G, 15th Regt Me Vols, promoted major September 10, 1862, and was mustered out at expiration of service, January 26, 1865, and brevetted colonel U. S. V. for "faithful and meritorious services during the war." Returning to civil life he engaged in the practice of law at Brunswick and in 1886-7 was clerk of the Maine house of representatives. In 1868 he was elected secretary of state and served four years, and in 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875 was U. S. pension agent at Augusta. In October, 1878, he formed a law partnership with Hon. M. T. Ludden in Lewiston (who died in 1882), and has been in practice in that city since, admitting L. G. Roberts, Esq., as a partner in 1891. He was elected judge of probate for Androscoggin county in 1888 and assumed office January 1, 1889. Colonel Drew has been identified with all the movements tending to the betterment of the community and country, has been active in the Grand Army of the Republic and was department commander in 1889; has been secretary of the board of trustees and ex-officio member of the board of overseers of Bowdoin College since 1865; is a


Franklin M.


331


THE COURTS AND BENCH AND BAR.


member of the Maine Historical Society, and is prominent in Christian labors and Y. M. C. A. work.


WILLARD FRANCIS ESTEY was born at North Easton, Mass., August 30, 1839. He was educated in public schools and at Phillips Exeter Academy, where he graduated in the class of 1862, and afterwards read law three years with the Hon. Ellis Ames, at Canton, Mass., and was admitted to practice in the Massachusetts courts in February, 1866, at Dedham; in 1870 was admitted to the bar of the Circuit Court of the United States, at Boston. In 1883 he removed to Lewiston, and was admitted to practice in Maine, in April, 1885, at Anburn, and became a member of the firm of Dana & Estey, Lewiston. He has practiced law at Hyde Park and Boston, Mass., and was a member of the firms of Estey & Andrews and Estey & Terry. From 1868 to 1872 he held the commission of trial justice for Norfolk county, and served on the boards of school committee in Dedham and Hyde Park, Mass., for a number of years. Ile married a daughter of William Withington.


JOHN B. COTTON was born in Woodstock, Conn., August 3, 1841, and soon after his parents moved to Clinton, Mass., remaining until he was 18, when his father removed to Lewiston. He fitted for college at Lewiston Falls Academy, and by the liberality of John C. Bradbury, Esq., of Saco, for whom he was named, he was enabled to pursue his collegiate course at Bowdoin College, graduating in the class of 1865. He read law at Lewiston in the office of Messrs Fessenden & Frye, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1866. Upon the decease of Mr Fessenden, in 1868, he became a member of the firm of Frye & Cotton, and continued in this firm and that of Frye, Cotton & White until 1889, when he was appointed assistant attorney-general of the United States, charged with the defense of the government in the court of claims, and removed to Washington, D. C. He served one term upon the school committee and one year in the common council while a resident of Lewiston. He married a daughter of Mark Lowell, Esq., of Lewiston.


HON. THOMAS HAWES HASKELL was born in New Gloucester, May 18, 1842. He fitted for college at Paris Hill Academy and Norway Liberal Institute, to enter in the fall of 1862; but, being drafted into the army, served nine months in the Twenty-fifth Maine. In the summer of 1863 he commenced the study of law with Hon. Nahum Morrill and continued until admitted to the bar, February 1, 1865. He then became partner of his instructor until he removed to Portland, July 5, 1866, with Hon. Charles W. Goddard, where they continued as law partners until the latter was appointed to the superior bench in 1868, when he joined in professional business Hon. William W. Thomas, Jr, until February 1, 1878; then Hon. Nathan Webb took him as copartner, until he was appointed to the bench of the U. S. District Court in February, 1882, when Edward Woodman, of Portland, succeeded to the firm. They enjoyed a lucrative practice until Mr Haskell


332


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


was appointed to the supreme bench of the state, March 31, 1884. He took his seat upon the bench the next April, in Androscoggin county, where he had been admitted to the bar 19 years before. Judge Haskell served two terms in the common council of Portland, and twice as county attorney for Cumberland county by appointment from the court, and once by appointment from the governor. He is the youngest member of the bench. He is a grand-nephew of the late Chief Justice Whitman, of the same bench, through his mother, and on his father's side is descended from the Parsons family, so well known to the profession in Massachusetts.


CHARLES E. WING was born in Livermore, July 2, 1842. He was educated in the schools of Livermore, and several years of his early life were employed in teaching and as a traveling salesman, in both of which occupations he won success. When 34 years old he entered the employment of his brother, Hon. George C. Wing, with whom he read law, and was admitted to the bar at Auburn in April, 1877. He immediately became a partner of his brother, forming the firm of George C. & Charles E. Wing, with offices in Auburn, and has since been engaged in his profession, devoting himself chiefly to office business, but occasionally conducting (and creditably) causes in court as an advocate. He married, November 11, 1872, Harriet F. Stevens, of Fayette. He is a staunch Republican, but has never sought office.


ADELBERT D. CORNISH, of Lewiston, was born at Lisbon, February 3, 1843. After a thorough preparatory course of study he entered Bowdoin College, remained until the close of his sophomore year, and then read law in the office of Bicknell & Stetson, of Lewiston, and was admitted to practice in April, 1868. Hle was elected city solicitor in 1873 and 1874, was a member of the common council in 1881 and 1882, and was president of the common council in 1882. He was a representative from Lewiston in 1874, and was appointed judge of Lewiston Municipal Court in 1876, which office he has continued to hold by successive appointments.


HON. LIBERTY H. HUTCHINSON was born in Milan, N. H., March 1, 1844. Ile was the son of Edwin F. Hutchinson, then of Milan, afterwards of Auburn, Me. His early life was passed upon his father's farm, in the labors and amid the homely and simple circumstances usually incident to life upon a farm in the more remote and secluded country towns. His carly education was received in the district school. After this preliminary training on farm and in school, and with some experience as a teacher in the district schools, he entered Lancaster Academy, Lancaster, N. H., in August, 1864, where he finished his preparation for college in May, 1867. In the latter year he entered Bates College. He left college in 1870, and immediately began his law studies in the office of Hon. M. T. Ludden. He was admitted to the bar in October, 1870, and opened an office in Auburn, where he remained until July 1, 1871, when he formed a copartnership with Hon. Calvin Record


333


THE COURTS AND BENCH AND BAR.


in Lewiston, as Record & Hutchinson. This copartnership was dissolved in March, 1875, and a new firm organized, composed of Mr Hutchinson and A. R. Savage, as Hutchinson & Savage. W. W. Sanborn, Esq., was at one time a member of the firm, then Hutchinson, Savage & Sanborn. At another time Frank D. Hale was a member of the firm, at which time it was Hutchinson, Savage & Hale. Mr Hutchinson resided in Auburn from 1867 to 1876, and later in Lewiston. He was a member of the superintending school committee of Auburn, and served upon the school committee and in both branches of the city council of Lewiston. He was representative from Lewiston in 1879, 1880, and 1881, and while serving for the third session was speaker. His health soon after failed, and he died September 8, 1882. He married Mary W. Emery, of Clinton, Mass., by whom he had five children, Aunie L., Albert S., Edwin L., Mary E., and Grace.


HON. JESSE M. LIBBY, of Mechanic Falls, was born in Danville (now Auburn), March 28, 1846. He was educated at the Nichols Latin School and Bates College, graduating from Bates in the class of 1871. He read law in the office of Strout & Holmes, at Portland, and was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county in September, 1874. Ile commenced the practice of his profession in Lewiston, where he remained six months, and then moved to Mechanic Falls where he has since continned business. He has held the office of supervisor of schools in Poland, and represented Poland in the legisla- ture in 1878. He was county attorney for Androscoggin county from 1887 to 1891, and at the September election of 1890 he was elected state senator for the years 1891 and 1892. He was one of the corporators of the Maine State Bar Association. In December, 1871, he married Miss Kittie E., daughter of Hon. Luther Perkins, of Poland, Me.


ISAAC W. HANSON was born in Farmington, N. H., May 13, 1846. He was educated at the Nichols Latin School and was graduated from Bates College in 1870. Hfe read law in the office of S. M. Wheeler, Esq., of Dover, N. H., and in the office of Hon. M. T. Ludden in Lewiston. He was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county in September, 1872, and immediately entered upon the practice of his profession at Mechanic Falls. He was elected clerk and treasurer of Poland in 1877, and clerk of the courts of Androscog- gin county in 1879, holding the last named office by successive elections to the present time. He is courteous, competent, and satisfactory as an official. He was married November 29, 1871, to Miss Alice Perkins, daughter of the Hon. Luther Perkins of Poland.


HON. GEORGE C. WING was born in Livermore, April 16, 1847. He fitted for college, studied law with Henry C. Wentworth, Esq., at Livermore Falls, and was admitted to the bar in Androscoggin county in April, 1868. He soon commenced the practice of his profession at Lisbon Falls, where he remained two years, then came to Auburn, and became junior partner of the firm of Morrill &


334


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Wing, which firm continued six years. He married, May 2, 1870, Emily B. Thompson, of Livermore. After dissolving his connection with Mr Morrill, he formed a copartnership with his brother, Charles E. Wing, which still con- tinues. He served as a member of the superintending school committee of Auburn, in 1872 and 1873, and was city solicitor for 1878, 1879, 1880, 1884, 1885, and 1887. Ile was one of the corporators of the National Shoe and Leather Bank, of Auburn, in 1875, since which time he has been one of its directors. He was elected county attorney in 1872, and judge of probate in 1875, re-elected in 1879, and appointed to the same office by Governor Robie for 1884. Mr Wing was chairman of the Republican state committee during the presidential campaign in 1884, and chairman of the Republican state dele- gation to the convention held at Chicago, which nominated Hon. James G. Blaine for President. He was Judge Advocate General on the staff of both Governor Bodwell and Governor Marble, and has been from its organization president of the Maine Benefit Association. He was one of the corporators of the Maine State Bar Association.


HON. ALBERT R. SAVAGE, son of Charles Wesley and Eliza M. (Clough) Savage, was born in Ryegate, Vt, December 8, 1847, and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1871. August 17, 1871, he married Nellie Hale of Concord, Vt. Mr Savage taught school in Northwood, N. H., and Northfield, Vt, studying law during vacations in the office of Carpenter & Plumley, in Northfield. In 1875 he came to Auburn, was admitted to the Androscoggin bar, and commenced the practice of law in Lewiston in partnership with Hon. I. H. Hutchinson. The death of Mr Hutchinson in 1882 dissolved the firm, and a short time afterwards the firm of Savage & Oakes was formed, Henry W. Oakes becoming the junior partner. Mr Savage was a member of the school committee of Auburn in 1881 and 1882: was appointed county attorney in 1881 and elected to the same office in 1882; was judge of probate in 1885, 1886, 1887, 1888; representative to the legislature in 1891, and one of the corporators of the Maine State Bar Association, and is one of its vice- presidents. He was mayor of Auburn in 1889, 1890, and in 1891 was a third time called to preside over the affairs of the municipality, whose interests he had ably and honestly served. Mr Savage is one of the trustees of the People's Savings Bank, Lewiston ; president of Auburn Loan and Building Association, Lewiston and Auburn Electric Light Company, and has been president of the ('alumet Club of Lewiston. Ile is a member of Abou Ben Adhem Lodge, I. (). O. F., and Eureka Lodge, K. of P. He is a prominent Mason, a member of Tranquil Lodge, Bradford Chapter, Dunlap Council, and Lewiston Command- ery. He has been for the past two years Supreme Dictator of the Knights of Honor of the United States, discharging the delicate and responsible duties of the head of an order numbering 150,000 members, with ability, discrimination, and faithfulness. As a man, a citizen, and a lawyer, Judge Savage is widely




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.