History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 31

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 31


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


263


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


Davilla S. Thompson, J. W .; Roswell C. Boothby, Sec .; Stephen J. Burgess, Marshal; David Cargill, Chap .; Clinton Newman, Tyler. April 8, 1890, R. C. Boothby, having been made D. D. G. M., visited the lodge officially and made corrections in the work. May 28, 1890, officers elected: D. S. Thompson, W. M .; R. M. Maxim, S. W .; J. G. Ham, J. W .; R. W. Weld, Treas .; R. C. Boothby, Sec. Public installation June 10, P. M. W. S. Treat officiating. February 18, 1891, the third degree was conferred by the officers of Oriental Star Lodge. April 22 the death of Bro. Sullivan Newman was reported. The lodge June 1, 1891, has 95 members, is practically free from debt, with brotherly love existing among the craftsmen, and the prospect that much benefit will be realized through its labors.


Androscoggin Chapter of R. A. M., No. 34, Livermore Falls, was instituted in 1871 at Canton. A petition signed by 13 R. A. Masons, recommended by King Hiram Chapter of Lewiston, was forwarded to M. E. Stephen J. Young, G. H. P., asking for a dispensation, which was granted January 21, 1871, to Hiram A. Ellis, Charles A. Coolidge, Otis Hayford, Jr, John D. Hodge, R. E. Hathaway, Gideon Ellis, and George W. Moore of Canton, H. T. Gleason, J. H. Gleason, P. M. Edwards, and John H. Ellis of Mexico, H. F. Howard of Dixfield, Wm H. H. Wood of Livermore Falls. The officers named were : Otis Hayford, Jr, H. P .; John D. Hodge, King; John Il. Ellis, Scribe. The chapter was opened January 30, 1871, at Masonic Hall in Canton, which had been erected the previous summer for this purpose, and duly organized, with these officers : M. E. Otis Hayford, Jr, H. P .; ex-Comps. John D. Hodge, King; John H. Ellis, Scribe ; Comps. Henry F. Howard, Treas .; Hiram A. Ellis, Sec. ; C. T. Gleason, P. S .; George W. Moore, C. H .; Charles A. Cool- idge, R. A. C .; C. E. Philoon, M. 3d V .; R. E. Hathaway, M. 2d V .; W. H. H. Wood, M. 1st V .; P. M. Edmunds, Sent. It received its charter, dated May 3, 1871, June 26, 1871, when these officers were chosen : M. E. Otis Hayford, H. P .; John D. Hodge, King; John H. Ellis, Scribe ; Oscar Hayford, Treas. ; Hiram A. Ellis, Sec. October 6 there were present M. E. Stephen J. Young, G. H. P .; Comp. Warren Phillips, G. Sent .; Comp. Dura Bradford as G. C .; Comp. Geo. W. Moore as G. C. of H., and the chapter was duly constituted, after which the above officers were installed by M. E. Stephen J. Young, G. H. P., as were also these appointed officers: Geo. W. Moore, C. H .; Wm H. H. Washburn, P. S .; C. A. Coolidge, R. A. C .; C. S. Brown, M. 3d V .; Wm K. Decoster, M. 2d V .; John N. Read, M. 1st V .; Isaac A. Ellis, S. S .; C. E. Philoon, J. S .; Rev. O. H. Johnson, Chap .; F. M. Mayo, Sent.


August 15, 1872, Masonic Hall, Canton, was dedicated, these taking part : Oriental Star Lodge, No. 21, Livermore ; King Hiram Lodge, No. 57, Dixfield ; Nezinscot Lodge, No. 101, Turner; Evening Star Lodge, No. 147, Buckfield ; Whitney Lodge, No. 167, Canton ; Androscoggin R. A. Chapter ; Grand Lodge of Maine, M. W. David Cargill, G. M .; Grand Chapter of Maine, M. E. John


264


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


W. Ballou, G. H. P. Comp. Gideon Ellis, the oldest member of the chapter, died November 1, 1872. in his 77th year. December, 1873, Comp. Gilbert L. Heald died. January 1, 1876, the chapter had 60 members; the following from this county : Wm H. H. Wood, Frank Garcelon, Elijah and Marshman E. Wardsworth, Roswell C. Boothby, Livermore Falls ; Welcome F. Fuller and Henry Clay Munson, Turner ; Charles Jones, Livermore. Elected officers : June 17, 1872, Otis Hayford, H. P .; John D. Hodge, King; Dura Bradford, Scribe ; Oscar Hayford, Treas .; H. A. Ellis, Sec. June 9, 1873, John D. Hodge, H. P .; Dura Bradford, King; George W. Moore, Scribe ; Oscar Hay- ford, Treas. ; H. A. Ellis, Sec. June 29, 1874, M. E. Dura Bradford, H. P .; W. H. Washburn, King ; John H. Ellis, Scribe; Oscar Hayford, Treas .; H. A. Ellis, Sec. June 14, 1875, the only change is that of Otis Hayford, Sec.


For some years the chapter was prosperous, then interest waxed cold, pay- ment of dues was neglected, only a faithful few preserved its vitality, and the roll of the officers would be very nearly the annual repetition of their names. Things grew from bad to worse as the years wore on. In 1887 the chapter was holding its meetings in the hall of the brick store, as the old Masonic Hall was let and occupied for other than Masonic purposes since the fire of January 28, 1887, and in October a chapter was opened. Finding the old hall not in con- dition to hold said meeting, it was voted to act with Whitney Lodge to see what should be done with the furniture and other fixtures, and to see what arrangements could be made with the lodge to use said hall in common with the lodge; also voted to write for a dispensation to elect officers at the regular convocation in November, having failed to do so at the annual meeting. November 28, Cyrus T. Bonney, Jr, was chosen H. P .; Thos. Raymond, King; A. Delano, Scribe ; James H. Burbank, Treas. Again the chapter failed to elect officers, and August 20, 1888, a dispensation was again asked for, and the visit of some grand officer with whom to consult was requested. The dispen- sation was granted, and September 15 officers were elected, and October 15, installed : Cyrus T. Bonney, Jr, H. P .; Thos. Reynolds, King ; John D. Hodge, Scribe; E. R. Oldham, C. H .; C. M. Holland, R. A. C., with others. Decem- ber 17 a convocation was held in Grange Hall, Canton, under a dispensation, and a counsel was held with the Grand Scribe. At a later convocation 14 members were deprived of membership for arrearages of dues. April 15, 1889, voted 13 to 1 in favor of removal to Livermore Falls.


The first meeting at Livermore Falls was the annual convocation, June 10, 1889. R. C. Boothby was chosen H. P .; B. C. Waite, K .; W. S. Treat, Scribe ; who were installed by M. E. Dura Bradford, P. II. P. June 30, 1890, R. C. Boothby was elected and installed H. P .; W. S. Treat, K .; D. S. Thompson, S. J. G. Ham was then appointed C. of H .; E. Eaton, P. S .; S. E. Perkins, R. A. C .; C. R. Loring, M. 3d V .; E. S. Goding, M. 2d V .; D. C. Searles, M. 1st V. Comp. David Cargill was made an honorary member. November 25


265


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


A. M. Roak, H. P. of Bradford Chapter, by request confers the R. A. degree on several substitutes. There are now (June 1, 1891,) 54 members, seven having been received the past year and one dimitted. In its new home the chapter is in good condition, and bids fair to have a flourishing future. Among its treasures the chapter cherishes a gavel made in Jerusalem ; the head is of olive wood from Mt Olivet, the handle of wood grown on the banks of the Jordan. This was a present from Rev. A. C. Herrick.


ODD FELLOWSHIP.


Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge, No. 62, I. O. O. F., Lewiston, was instituted March 19, 1853, by D. G. M. John Read, assisted by J. B. Ham as Grand Marshal, Ebenezer Ham as Grand Secretary, Stephen H. Read as Grand Treasurer, Ham Brooks as Grand Warden. The petition was signed by Jordan K. Piper, George Webb, E. D. Clark, George Latham, and Charles J. Greene, all residents of Lewiston. It is not known when or where they joined the order. The charter was granted by the Grand Lodge in July, 1853. The lodge was unquestionably instituted in a small hall in the upper part of Jones's Block, which was occupied by them for some time, renting it of a temperance society who controlled it and subsequently leased it. The first officers installed were: Geo. Webb, N. G .; Geo. Latham, V. G .; E. D. Clark, R. Sec .; Charles J. Green, Treas. Geo. W. Farr, Hermon L. Guild, Benj. Dexter, Hanson W. Small, David S. Parker, and James Lewis were elected and initiated at the meeting. This was the first lodge instituted in Lewiston, and entered upon a season of unusual prosperity, additions being made to its membership at nearly every meeting. This prosperity continued for several years; but from 1855 to 1861 the order in the state was suffering much from depletion in member- ship owing, in a large measure, to the imperfect administration of its financial affairs. At that time the relation between dues and weekly benefits was not properly adjusted. During these years many of the lodges throughout the country were financially ruined. The lodge was involved in the general depres- sion, but continued to administer its affairs until September 20, 1858. From that time until October 3, 1859, there are no records of any sessions. It met October 10, 1859, in the hall over Keyes's store. This was on the northerly side of Haymarket Square, the building next to the Frye house. This hall they secured for $25 per annum. Subsequently another room for an anteroom was leased for $5 per annum, which made comfortable and convenient rooms for a short time. The installation of officers, October 21, 1859, was in the hall of Androscoggin Lodge, in Auburn. They were installed by D. G. M. Nahum Morrill, as follows: Geo. W. Farr, N. G .; J. W. Hutchinson, V. G .; E. D. Johnson, Rec. Sec .; George Webb, Treas. These rooms were soon too small, and a committee was raised January 16, 1860, to ascertain if the lodge could procure Cutter's Hall, which was obtained for $55 per year, and January 25,


266


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


1860, it was occupied, holding the first meeting January 30. The lodge did some repairing in the hall, had it lighted with gas, and the floor neatly car- peted. Prosperity was now assured. Accessions were made at almost every meeting. In 1864, owing in a great measure to increase in membership, a committee was appointed to secure a hall better adapted to their needs, and sufficiently large to give them ample accommodations. This reported Septem- ber 28, 1864, in favor of rooms in Central Block. The lodge voted to occupy the rooms, which were fitted up at an expense of $96.68, the carpet being paid for by subscription. These were comfortable and convenient quarters, with sufficient room for work, and the lodge was supplied with ample means to carry on its charitable and fraternal labors. This hall was occupied until June, 1870. On Sunday morning, June 12, 1870, the westerly portion of Central Block, which included Odd Fellows Hall, was destroyed. The lodge lost its furniture, and the most of its paraphernalia. The loss was $800, with an insurance of $500. From June 15 to September 14, 1870, the lodge held weekly sessions in the hall of Androscoggin Lodge, in Auburn. At the first session after the fire, June 15, the lodge chose Geo. A. Callahan, Warren E. Pressey, and Geo. A. Drew to act with a committee of Androscoggin Lodge in procuring and furnishing a new hall. Rooms were found in Union Block. They were completed, fitted up, furnished, and formally delivered to the joint committee, Tuesday evening, September 13, 1870, and were occupied by this lodge on the following evening. The hall was also occupied by Andros- coggin Lodge and Worombus Encampment. At this time Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge entered upon a period of marked prosperity. It has con- stantly increased in numbers as well as influence, and is to-day among the large and strong lodges of the state. Desiring larger and better accommoda- tions, the lodge in connection with Golden Rule Lodge, leased the upper story of Odd Fellows Block for the use of the order in this city. The expense to this lodge in finishing and furnishing was about $1,500, and the members joined with Golden Rule Lodge in the dedication, January 8, 1877, with pride and satisfaction. The hall and adjoining rooms are among the best in the state and are especially adapted to the needs of the lodge. They were occupied for the first time by this lodge, in January, 1877. The lodge has expended for the relief of its members about $27,000, an average of more than $700 per annum. Its membership is 408. In 1872 Geo. A. Callahan of this lodge was elected Grand Master, and filled the office with much satisfaction to the order throughout the state. At the annual session of the Grand Lodge in 1873, he was elected representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, where he acquired a thorough knowledge of the work of the order, and undoubtedly did more than any of his predecessors to perfect it among the lodges of this jurisdiction.


Golden Rule Lodge, No. 73, I. O. O. F., Lewiston, was instituted September 26, 1873, by Grand M. O. B. Whitten, assisted by Grand Sec. Joshua Davis,


267


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


Past Grand Masters Benjamin Kingsbury and J. E. Haseltine. The charter members were George A. Callahan, Silas W. Cook, George A. Drew, George W. Maxfield, Arthur S. Melcher, Fred A. Hall, Eben J. Atwood, Samuel O. Wood, Edwin Wakefield, Ai Brooks, Abel D. Cook, Isaac H. Estes, Milton C. Wedgwood, Wm F. Garcelon, Thos W. Murch, Thos A. Eastman. Eleven of them came from Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge, and five from Andros- coggin Lodge of Auburn. The following were initiated in Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge: George A. Callahan, February 18, 1863; Silas W. Cook, January 31, 1872; George A. Drew, June 19, 1869; George W. Maxfield, February 5, 1867; Arthur S. Melcher, February 19, 1873; Fred A. Hall, February 19, 1873; Eben J. Atwood, May 4, 1869; S. O. Wood, May 21, 1873; Edwin Wakefield, February 27, 1872; A. D. Cook, August 6, 1873; I. H. Estes, May 31, 1871; and the following in Androscoggin Lodge: William F. Garcelon, January 10, 1870; M. C. Wedgwood, October 3, 1870; Ai Brooks, May 17, 1869; T. W. Murch, January 23, 1871; T. A. Eastman, March 25, 1872. The grand officers installed Ai Brooks, N. G .; S. W. Cook, V. G .; S. O. Wood, R. Sec .; Fred A. Hall, P. Sec .; and T. W. Murch, Treas. The charter was granted August 11, 1874. The lodge purchased one- half of the furniture and paraphernalia of Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge, and became joint tenant of its hall, where it held weekly sessions until January 11, 1877, when it occupied its present rooms in Odd Fellows Block. At this session, the first in the new hall, these officers were publicly installed: Thos H. Jordan, N. G .; D. Horace Holman, V. G .; J. G. Elder, R. Sec .; Fred A. Hall, P. Sec .; L. C. Peck, Treas. This hall was jointly fitted up by Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge and this lodge, at an expense of $3,000. It contains a hall for regular sessions, a banquet hall, and several anterooms. The hall was pub- licly dedicated January, 1877, by G. M. Stephen K. Dyer. In his communication to the Grand Lodge, held in Portland, August 14, 1877, the Grand Master said :


January 8, 1877, I visited Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge, No. 62, and Golden Rule Lodge, No. 73, in the city of Lewiston. Assisted by S. P. Getchell, G. M., Chas H. Blake, G. Chap., J. E. Haseltine and J. N. Read, P. G. Representatives, and Past Grands A. D. Smith, O. G. Douglass, and S. W. Cook, I publicly dedicated their beautiful hall, one of the largest and finest in the state, and I congratulated the brethren upon the prosperity that has attended them in thus providing themselves with such a comfortable home. At the conclusion of the dedicatory service we had the pleasure of listening to an able address delivered by Rev. Bro. Bolton, which added much to the interest of the occasion.


The officers were publicly installed by the Grand Master, January 7, 1878. This was the first installation by the Grand Master, and we quote from his annual communication to the Grand Lodge his reference to it :-


January 7, in the presence of a large assembly of invited friends, with the assistance of the Grand Marshal and Past Grands Pressey, Snow, and Cook, I installed the officers of


268


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Golden Rule Lodge, No. 73, at Lewiston. Here I found Odd Fellowship in its most luxu- riant growth. Our brethren here had prepared a rich and bounteous banquet in the commodious anterooms of their beautiful hall, to which at the close of the installation ceremony, all present were invited. The warm greeting the officers of the Grand Lodge received will never be forgotten.


At the annual session of the Grand Lodge held at Auburn, August 8, 1882, Silas W. Cook of this lodge was elected Grand Master and held the position with honor to himself and fidelity to the order. In 1883 he was elected repre- sentative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, and held the office for two years. Geo. W. Goss was elected Grand Master at the session of the Grand Lodge held in Portland, August 9, 1887. He was an able officer and served with much acceptance. In 1888 he was elected representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, holding the office for two years and occupying positions upon important committees. The lodge has expended more than $12,000 in relief of its members, and is in a prosperous condition, with a membership of 256.


Worombus Encampment, No. 13, I. O. O. F., Lewiston .- The warrant for the institution of Worombus Encampment was dated April 25, 1848, and signed by Benjamin Kingsbury, G. P., and Nathaniel F. Deering, G. S. The petitioners were J. C. Lane, S. P. Gorham, Elisha Turner, Benjamin Dunn, Temple Tib- betts, Nelson B. Reynolds, Uriah Read, Levi A. Gould, and William T. Plaisted. The institution took place at Odd Fellows Hall in Auburn, April 27, 1848, under the direction of Nathaniel F. Deering, Acting G. P .; Edward P. Banks, Acting G. H. P .; Wm E. Kimball, G. S. W .; Fred W. Nichols, Acting G. S .; Nathaniel Walker, Acting G. T. After the institution of the encampment these patriarchs were elected and installed: Levi A. Gould, J. W .; Elisha Turner, Treas .; Benjamin Dunn, Scribe; S. P. Gorham, S. W .; N. B. Reynolds, H. P .; J. C. Lane, C. P .; W. T. Plaisted, G .; Temple Tibbetts, S. W .; Uriah Read, T. W. In the evening Geo. W. Foss, Dan Read, 3d, Almon C. Pray, Stephen Blethen, Daniel B. Hawks, and Ai Brooks received the degrees.


The encampment experienced usual prosperity, holding regular sessions until August 10, 1857. Then followed a period of great depression, from which the order throughout the country suffered. It was largely occasioned by the false basis on which the financial principles of the order rested. From the above date until January 26, 1869, no session was held. The charter had not been recalled, having been cared for by some of the members. The few patriarchs who remained in the vicinity were anxious to have the encampment revived, and the officers of the Grand Encampment appointed a meeting for January 26, 1869, and reorganized under the old charter. Not enough of the old members could be found to constitute a quorum, and the grand officers were compelled to initiate new members before the organization could be perfected. The grand officers were: James E. Haseltine, G. P .; C. C. Hayes, Acting G. H. P .; George A. Walden, G. S. W .; Charles H. Rich,


269


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


G. J. W .; George F. Mariner, G. S .; Charles B. Nash, G. T .; N. G. Cummings, G. S. The officers were: Almon C. Pray, C. P .; Geo. A. Callahan, H. P .; John Holt, S. W .; C. S. Emerson, J. W .; J. M. Cook, Scribe ; Frank H. Riggs, Treas. With this new lease of life the encampment commenced a period of usefulness and unremitted prosperity. It has now a large and steadily increas- ing membership, and is bestowing its bounties as well as its charities to those deserving. The past chief patriarchs are : J. C. Lane, S. P. Gorham, N. B. Reynolds, Benjamin Dunn, Geo. W. Foss, Almon C. Pray, Samuel Stetson, Everett H. Jones, Nahum Morrill, Dan Read, 3d, Uriah Read, John Holt, Geo. A. Callahan, J. M. Cook, Geo. A. Drew, Wm F. Garcelon, Hiram Snow, Wm Pulverman, Ai Brooks, J. D. Johnson, S. W. Cook, J. O. Nickerson, C. B. Heath, Frank A. Conant, Thomas W. Murch, Arion C. Peirce, John L. Pea- body, Melvin J. Googin, D. H. Holman, Thomas H. Jordan, Geo. W. Furbush, J. G. Elder, Lewis C. Peck, Albert L. Wells, Geo. F. Turner, Chas HI. Hobbs, John S. Manson, Albion K. Ordway, E. T. Hatch, L. P. Woodbury, Geo. W. Goss, Chas H. Osgood, R. W. Clark, Fred I. Morrell, Fred J. Hodgkins, Everett E. Read, Aubrey G. Lothrop, Thomas F. Palmer, James M. Sherman, Robert W. Keist, Chas O. Morrell, E. O. Carll, J. E. Bailey, L. W. Daly.


Grand Canton Worombus, No. 1, I. O. O. F .- The organization of a military branch of the order was a matter of special legislation by the Sovereign Grand Lodge in 1885. In 1884 a special committee was appointed, authorized to present a plan for such an organization at the next session of the Sovereign Grand Lodge. The plan presented, with slight modifications, was adopted at the session of 1885, a commanding officer elected, and measures adopted to institute cantons throughout the United States. Inspired with the belief that such an organization would give a healthful enthusiasm to the order, some of the members in this community took measures to secure the institution of one at Lewiston. The organization was perfected and a Grand Canton instituted February 16, 1886, by Lieut-Gen. J. C. Underwood, assisted by Lieut-Col Henry A. Cox as aide-de-camp. The officers were Henry M. Sprague, Com .; Chandler H. Barron, Lieut; J. M. Sherman, E .; J. M. Fernald, C .; L. W. Daly, A. The charter members were : Oscar G. Douglass, Leonard P. Woodbury, Geo. W. Goss, Geo. A. Callahan, Geo. A. Drew, Edgar J. Riker, Arthur S. Melcher, John E. Miller, Lewis C. Peck, John Davis, Geo. W. Maxfield, Geo. H. Harmon, Wm H. Roberts, James Cooper, Wm Pulverman, Horace C. Beal, Dennis Harris, Chandler H. Barron, Rendall W. Clark, Fred I. Morrell, Fred J. Hodgkins, Israel B. Merrill, Rendall Dresser, Eben W. Dresser, Chas F. Goss, Benjamin F. Getchell, Henry T. Haskell, John Richardson, John L. Frost, Wm A. Shackford, Geo. W. Monk, Chas H. Foster, Jas S. Randall, Albert B. Nealey, John L. Peabody, Jas M. Fernald, Frank A. Conant, D. Horace Holman, Edwin Wakefield, Edward M. Lowell, Phil P. Getchell, Geo. F. Turner, Henry M. Austin, Byron A. Bearce, Chas


270


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


F. Cornish, Reuben M. Gordon, Chas W. Hill, Lucius C. Robbins, Palmer O. Spinney, Geo. W. Furbush, Albert A. Foss, J. Frank Pickering, Fred Olfene, James O. Nickerson, Robert W. Keist, Jas M. Sherman, J. G. Elder, Herbert A. Cole, Alvah Doten, Jas T. Small, Ivory D. Stevens, Chauncy B. White, Fred G. Payne, Abner Linnell, Edwin O. Carll, John Corrigan, Edwin A. Lane, Aubrey G. Lothrop, Samuel H. Foster, Lorenzo W. Daly, Edwin N. Hutchins, Charles G. Corliss, Melvin J. Googin, Clinton B. Heath, Frank W. Dana, Daniel Guptill, John F. Lamb, Benj. Palmer, Silas W. Cook, Albion K. Ordway, Nahum Morrill, Wm E. Longley, Edward H. Kimball, Geo. W. Metcalf, Everett E. Read, Wm Dixon, Anson O. Wight, Thos Casson, Arthur E. Madison, Geo. L. Read, Henry B. Stearns, Wm A. Haines, Benj. B. Bradford, Anson Gilman, Warren E. Riker, Geo. W. Proctor, Fred A. Hall, Alvin T. Neal, Hiram A. Morrell, Chas H. Osgood, Chester M. Lord, David Williams, David P. Field, Henry H. Hanson, Fred S. Weymouth, Levi Greenleaf, John Harper, William Olfene, Charles Davis, Orrin A. Horr, Geo. H. Harris, Isaiah Merrill, Frank E. Sleeper, Wm H. Newell, Leonard C. Moore, Frank L. Noble, Wm Dickey, Henry A. Torsey, Horace C. Little, Frank G. Ham, Chas H. Hinckley, Wm Entwistle, Jos. H. Day, Chas W. Dexter, Chas S. Crowell, Geo. M. Coombs, Rufus Carr, Sewell H. Bagley, Thomas W. Murch, Marshall Emery, John T. Hale, Thomas F. Palmer. The canton has a drill corps of 34 members and three officers, which has been thoroughly trained, under the direction of Major Brabson. At a tournament at Cincinnati, July 26, 1888, participated in by drill corps throughout the country, they won the sixth prize, which was a banner, valued at $300, a purse of $200, and a gold medal valued at $100.


Sabattus River Lodge, No. 21, I. O. O. F., Lisbon,1 was instituted March 17, 1874, by G. M. O. B. Whitten, assisted by W. F. Garcelon, D. G. M., Geo. A. Callahan, G. S., Daniel Lucas, G. G., I. Hicks, G. M. The charter mem- bers were A. Callahan, J. M. Corbett, Thomas Judd, C. H. Keopka, John Marsden, F. H. Amback, E. M. Shaw, G. L. Stone. The officers installed at the first meeting were E. M. Shaw, N. G .; F. H. Amback, V. G .; J. M. Corbett, Treas .; William Sheehan, Sec. From its organization Sabattus River Lodge has added constantly to its membership, and is socially and financially one of the best lodges of the order in the state. There are 109 members in good standing. The lodge owns its hall building, purchased in 1875, and valued at $2,000, has a paraphernalia second to none in Maine and valued at $500, and has a handsome amount in its treasury, with a large sum in investments. Past Grands - Augustus Callahan, E. M. Shaw, F. H. Amback, Wm Sheehan, N. J. Shaw, G. R. Avery, John Willard, A. H. Macurda, J. C. Moore, N. J. Wedgwood, M.D., A. Wakefield, Wm H. Miles, Frank Miles, Simeon Stone, Harrison Glidden, Thomas Douglass, A. W. Potter, M.D., H. G. Spear, Frank




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.