USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 5
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The Anasagunticooks were a numerous and powerful tribe, and their hunting-grounds covered the entire valley of the Androscoggin. The Canabas tribe were located on both sides of the Kennebec river, where they had several important villages. The Wawenocks occupied the coast between the Sheep- scot and St Georges rivers. They were very accurately described by Captain John Smith, whose intercourse with them was frequent and undisturbed. It was from this tribe that Captain George Weymouth secured those he carried to England, and from this same tribe the perfidious Hunt-the companion of Captain John Smith in 1614-kidnapped some twenty-seven and carried them to Spain and sold them as slaves. The Penobscots were unquestionably the most numerous and powerful. They inhabited the country on both sides of the Penobscot bay and river. In the summer they occupied the land near the sea, but in the winter they retired to the interior. They were most numerous near the falls-Oldtown -where they now reside. It is not a little remark- able that this tribe, now numbering about five hundred persons, still occupies their ancient abode, and although surrounded by American people and insti- tutions and also under the care of the state, yet they retain their language and religion, and most of the habits and customs which have come down through the centuries, and in all probability will retain them for centuries to come, or until the tribe becomes extinct. The Passamaquoddies were found in the eastern part of the state, their tribal home being near the lower Schoodic lakes. Their present number is about five hundred. They adhere with great tenacity to the religious forms taught them by the Jesuits. The estimated population of these tribes in 1615 was 31,600. It was supposed these tribes could muster 8,800 warriors, distributed as follows: Sokokis, 900 warriors; Anasagunticooks, 1,500 warriors ; Canabas, 1,500 warriors; Wawenocks, 1,100 warriors ; Penobscots, 2,400 warriors ; Passamaquoddies, 1,400 warriors.
We are in possession of very little information in relation to the Anasagun- ticooks-or Androscoggin Indians, as they were subsequently called -before
46
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
King Philip's war, in 1675-6. At Brunswick falls they had an encampment or place of resort and a fort. Here was the great pass between the eastern and western tribes, and during the Indian wars they frequently met at this camping-ground and planned their cruel and barbarous attacks upon the defenceless settlers. At Lewiston falls they frequently rendezvoued, and at an early day had a fort of considerable magnitude. There was a large encamp- ment at Canton, covering the fine interval of that region. Owing to their location they were less disturbed in their hunting and fishing and suffered less by the encroachments upon their territory than any other tribe ; but notwith- standing this freedom from interruption, none were more hostile or vindictive towards the colonists. The Androscoggins were the first to "dig up" the tomahawk and the last to " bury " it.
Hardly had the first alarm of King Philip's war reached the scattered and defenceless settlers before a party of this ferocious tribe came to the plantation of Thomas Purchase, in Brunswick, but they did only a little " Mischief save plundering it of strong Liquor and Ammunition, also killing a Calf or two with a few Sheep, but no more than what they eat, and spoiling a Feather-bed, by ripping it open to turn out the Feathers, contenting themselves with the Case, which they might more easily carry away." " but as they went away, told those of the House, that there were others coming after, that would deal far worse with them, which within a short Time after came to pass." Mr Purchase and his "sons were absent, but one of his sons who returned while the savages were plundering the house, was obliged to flee for his life." Shortly after-September 5, 1675, -they destroyed his buildings and cattle, and the family fled to Massachusetts, but never returned to occupy their possessions.
The Anasagunticooks were very active during the war and quite a number of their warriors joined Philip's forces in Massachusetts, and "Sundry of them," says Hubbard, "came short of Home." It was their purpose to unite all of the tribes in a crusade against the whites, and to accomplish this design, sent representatives to the Sokokis in order to induce them to enter heartily into the war, making it one of extermination. Philip was killed August 12, 1675, and in the following winter an armistice was made with the Indians in the western part of Maine; but this did not include the Anasagunticooks or the Canabas. During the early part of 1676 some of the sagamores visited Abraham Shurte at Pemaquid and complained of the treatment received from the colonists. Shurte assured them that justice should be done, and then referred to the happy peace which had been made with the Sokokis and other Indians, which might become general if the Anasagunticooks and Canabas would assent to it. The sagamores seemed pleased with the interview and soon after sent a "runner" inviting him to meet them in council at " Tecon- net." Captain Sylvanus Davis was associated with Shurte, and they proceeded
47
ABORIGINAL TRIBES AND HISTORY.
at once to Teconnet. "We come now," said the agents, "to confirm the peace, especially to treat with the Anasagunticooks. We wish to see Squando, and hear Tarumkin speak." He then said: "I have been westward where I found three sagamores wishing for peace ; many Indians unwilling. I love the clear streams of friendship, that meet and unite. Certain, I myself, choose the shades of peace. My heart is true, and I give you my hand in pledge of the truth." The professions of Tarumkin and the other chiefs did not secure peace, and the war was more terrible and sanguinary, if possible, than before. Peace did not come to the disheartened and enfeebled colonists until the winter of 1678. At that time Massachusetts appointed commissioners to treat with Squando and the Anasagunticooks. They met at Casco and on April 13, 1678, signed articles of peace.
The close of the war was the occasion of universal joy, though the memo- ries of the struggle caused extreme sorrow. Almost every family bore the marks of grief, as there were few who had not lost friends or property, and many had been bereft of both. The terms of peace were generally considered disgraceful to the English. The losses sustained in life were extremely pain- ful. About two hundred and sixty were known to have been killed or carried into captivity from which they never returned, and nearly one hundred and fifty were made captives and subsequently released.
There had been only ten years of peace when King William's war broke out with all the horrors so well known, and dreaded, in savage warfare. The sagamore of the Anasagunticooks, Tarumkin, had been succeeded by Worombee, who, in 1684, had granted large tracts of land on the Andros- coggin to Richard Wharton of Boston, but now he was loud in his protesta- tions against the encroachments of the whites. As in Philip's war, so now this tribe was ready to renew the conflict with the colonists, and made their first attack at North Yarmouth, August 13, 1688. The war was prosecuted by the Indians with remarkable vigor and cunning, accompanied by all the cruelties peculiar to the savages. The natives of the Androscoggin had exhibited so much ferociousness and inhumanity, that the Government at Boston determined to send an expedition, under the command of the celebrated Major Church, to destroy Worombee's fort at the upper falls of the Andros- coggin. He arrived here September 14, 1690. We give an extract from Church's account of the attack and capture of the fort, as follows:
" The same day [September 13] we advanced up the river towards Amascogg, on the southwest side of the river, altho the way was extream difficult; yett it was a more obscure way; the enemie useing to march on the N. E. side. We marched that day above the middle falls [ Lisbon falls ] about 20 miles; there it began to raine hard; where we encamped and built fifty tents, and lay there that night; and at break of day put out our fires and marched as soon as twas light: It being the 14th instant and the sabbath day,
48
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
the souldiers marched briskley and came within sight of the fort about 2 of the clock in the afternoon ; then we turned into the woods, and fetched a circum- ference, and waded over a little river not much above the knees; and in short time came to the westerly branch [ Little Androscoggin ] of the Great River, and there left our baggage and those men that were tired, and made them up 40 men to guard the Doctor; and looking over the brow of a hill by the river, cspied two English captives and an Indian, moving towards the fort; ran after them, and soon took the English but the Indian got clear. Then I feared he would informe the fort: gave order, that all with one consent should run throw the river and not mind any other forme; but he that could gett first to the fort, if they had opportunity, to offer them peace. If they would not accept to fall on, and by that time they were well entered the rest would be come up; also I gave order for 2 companies to spread between the woods and the fort to prevent the escape of the enemie that way - all which was attended to. We were very wett running throw the river, but got up undiscovered to the fort till within shott; few Indians we found there, but two men and a lad of about 18; with some women and children; 5 ran into the river, 3 or 4 of which were killed. The lad of 18 made his escape up the river to another place where there was corn [Canton Point ] about 40 or 50 miles up, after- wards we were well informed. We killed 6 or 7 and took eleven. Lodged in the fort that night. Only one of our men was wounded in that little scirmish. We made use of noe other firewood but the fort all the time we were there. Munday being the 15th instant, we having examined the Indians and the English captives, made search for corne and other plunder. We found a prety deal of corn in barnes under ground, and destroyed it; also we found guns and amunition a prety deal, with beaver and we took 5 English captives, viz .: Leiut. Robert Hookins his widow of Oyster River; Benjamin Barnards wife of Salmon Falls; Ann Heard of Cochecho; one Willises daughter of Oyester River, and a boy of Exeter." " We left two old squaws that were not able to march; gave them victuals enough for one week of their own boiled corn, and a little of our provisions, buried their dead, and left them clothes enough to keep them warme, and left the wigwams for them to lye in, -gave them orders to tell theirc friends how kind we were to them, -bidding them doe the like to ours; also, if they were for peace to come to goodman Smalls att Barwick within 14 days, who would attend to discourse them. Then we came away with our own 5 captives and 9 of theirs, and waded throw the river, and returned in that day and one more to our vessells at Macquait."
The war lasted for ten years. The commissioners, who negotiated the treaty, desired that the resident missionary among the Anasagunticooks should be removed " lest the treaty, if made, would be violated as heretofore through their instigation." The treaty was the same as that of 1693, with additional articles, and was ratified January 7, 1699.
49
EARLY TITLES, OCCUPANCY, ETC.
The Anasagunticooks, during the period of Queen Anne's War, were not so prominent as they had hitherto been. It was not far from this time that the French induced many of them to retire to Canada, and with a few Wawenocks and Sokokis Indians, formed the St Francis tribe. Gradually they became reduced in numbers by removals to the settlement on the St Francis, and in a few years only a small number of the once powerful tribe that occupied the valley of the Androscoggin, remained. They undoubtedly engaged in subsequent wars, and were generally included in the treaties, but were rarely present when the treaties were ratified. Many years have passed since the last wandering Anasagunticook occupied the valley where they were once so numerous, and the name is known only in history.
CHAPTER V.
EARLY TITLES, OCCUPANCY, ETC.
The Cabots-Mary of Guilford -English Claims -Norumbega - Bartholomew Gosnold and Other Discoverers-Acadia - French Claims and Occupancy - Captain Weymouth -- Grants by James I- North Virginia - Plymouth Company -Captain John Smith - New England -Sir Ferdinando Gorges and Captain John Mason -Province of Maine -Laconia- First English Settlements- Kennebec and Other Patents - Plymouth Council -The Twelve Grand Divisions-Resignation of Plymouth Patent- William Gorges-New Patent of Maine - Gorgeana-Settlement under Gorges - Massachusetts Claims and Proprietorship.
1 HE English claim to North America was based on its discovery by the Cabots in 1497 and 1498, yet the first Englishmen to set foot on its shores were part of the crew of the Mary of Guilford, a vessel com- manded by John Rut, which, with the Samson, sailed from Plymouth, England, June 10, 1527, in search of the northwest passage. They sailed toward Newfoundland where a great storm left only the Mary of Guilford to continue the search. From Newfoundland she sailed southward, returning "by the coasts of Newfoundland, Cape Breton, and Norumbega,"1 often entering the ports, landing men and examining the country, and reaching England in October.
1 At this time Norumbega, or Arambec, was the name given sometimes to Maine, and sometimes to the whole tract along the ocean from Nova Scotia to the river later called the Hudson. When and by whom first applied is now unknown. It appears on a French map of 1534 as Anorobagra, as Nurumbega on one of 1550, and may be shown perhaps on earlier ones. M. André Thevet, a French
50
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
In 1602 Bartholomew Gosnold sailed along the shores of Maine and gave so good a report of its resources, that in 1603 wealthy Englishmen fitted out the Speedwell (fifty tons), commanded by Martin Pring, and the Discoverer (twenty-six tons), for a trading expedition to America. Leaving Milford Haven, April 10, a few days after the death of Queen Elizabeth, a prosperous voyage brought them, June 7, to what we know as Penobscot bay. They coasted westward until they came to the Piscataqua, but finding no Indians to trade with they went south, secured valuable cargoes and sailed home in August. Pring made a second voyage in 1606, and in these voyages, accord- ing to Gorges, he made a perfect discovery of all these eastern rivers and harbors, and took to England the most accurate account of the coast which had come to that country.
Henry IV of France granted to Pierre de Gast, Sieure de Monts, a royal patent, November 8, 1603, of all American territory between the fortieth and forty-sixth degrees of north latitude, under the name of ACADIA. In 1604, under the pilotage of Samuel Champlain, who had explored the St Lawrence river the year before, he visited Nova Scotia, and by him St Croix was named, and a residence made for the winter on the island. The next May (1605) they sailed westerly, erected a cross at Kennebec, taking possession in the name of the king, passed along the coast to Cape Cod, returned to St Croix, and constructed a fort and established a settlement at Port Royal (Annapolis). This was the basis of the French claim so tenaciously held to this territory.
The same year (1605) the English reached out for occupation of this coast. A vessel commanded by George Weymouth was despatched (nominally by some enterprising English gentlemen) to discover a northwest passage, but doubtless the English government looked for his occupancy of territory " for the crown." Leaving the Downs March 31, on May 11 he reached America near Cape Cod, sailed north, and shortly thereafter was on the coast of Maine. Possession was taken of the country, and a valuable commerce was begun with the Indians, " for instance, one gave forty skins of beaver, sable, and otter, for articles of five shillings' value." An altercation arising, Captain Weymouth seized and carried to England five of the Indians-four of them persons of
cosmographer, says that in 1556 he sailed along the entire coast of Florida and visited the coast of Norumbega. He describes a river "which we call Norumbegne and the aborigines Agoncy, and marked on some charts as the Grand River [this is generally considered to be Penobscot bay], and upon its banks the French formerly erected a little fort about ten or twelve leagnes from its mouth, which was surrounded by fresh water, and this place was named the fort of Norumbegue." He further states that some pilots would make him believe that this was the proper country of Canada, but he told them this was in 43º N. and Canada was in 50 or 522. Richard Hakluyt in his " Discourse of Western Planting," written in 1584, considers Norumbega to extend along the coast withont definite limits, in a southwestern direction from Cape Breton. Milton immortalized its name in " Paradise Lost," and many fabulous descriptions of its capital, The Lost City of New England, are given in the January (1877 ) number of the Magazine of American History. Eben Norton Horsford, in his book, " The Dis- covery of the Ancient City of Norumbega," claims to have discovered its actual site on Charles river, above Boston.
51
EARLY TITLES, OCCUPANCY, ETC.
rank. The voyage was financially successful, awoke an interest in the settle- ment of the New World that never abated, and was the means of establishing the English colonies to which the United States is the successor. But from this unprovoked and ill-advised seizure of the natives sprung much of the hatred of the English among the aborigines, and the later long and bloody wars with them arose from the distrust and revengeful feelings into which this arbitrary and cruel act changed the unsuspicious friendship and hospitality with which Weymouth's men were greeted.
In 1606 a belt of twelve degrees on the American coast, embracing nearly all the soil from Cape Fear to Halifax, was set apart by James I for two companies under one "General Council of Government." One, North Virginia, included the land from the forty-first degree of north latitude to the forty-fifth ; the other extended from the thirty-fourth to the thirty-eighth degree. 1
The northern portion was granted to the Plymouth Company, formed in the west of England. The king retained the power of appointment of all officers, exacted homage and rent, and demanded one-fifth of all the gold and silver found, and one-fifteenth of all the copper for the royal treasury. "Not an element of popular liberty was introduced into these charters ; the colonists were not recognized as a source of political power; they were at the mercy of a double-headed tyranny composed of the king and his advisers, the Council and its agents."
A new charter was given to the Council of Plymouth, November 3, 1620, granting the lands between the fortieth and forty-eighth degrees of north latitude, from sea to sea, as "New England in America." All powers of legislation, unlimited jurisdiction, and absolute property in this tract were given by this charter. This charter is the foundation of the numerous subsequent patents by which New England was divided, and its settlements and colonies located and limited. The name originated with the celebrated Captain John Smith, who, during the years from 1605 to 1616, was the greatest American explorer. He made a map of the American coast from Cape Cod to Penobscot in 1614, called it " New England," and wrote a brief history of the land. The name came into favor with the sovereign, and has been indelibly stamped upon this section of America.
1 The English settlement of Maine antedates by more than thirteen years that of Massachusetts. May 31, 1607, eighteen days after the sailing of the Jamestown colony, two ships, commanded by George Popham and Raleigh Gilbert, sailed from Plymouth with one hundred and twenty persons to found a colony. This they did at the mouth of the Kennebec, where the name has been commemorated by Fort Popham. Their Episcopal minister, Richard Seymour, by prayer and sermon dedicated the spot and inaugurated their government. They fortified the ground, erected a fort of twelve guns, built a village of fifty houses, a church, and a thirty-ton vessel, the Virginia of Sagadahoc, the first ship built in America by Europeans. By various disheartenments the colonists became discouraged; they dispersed, and the colony ceased to exist.
52
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Sir Ferdinando Gorges and Captain John Mason were prominent members of the Council of Plymouth. A man of intellect and courage, a most brilliant naval officer, and a leading spirit in many prominent historical events in England. Gorges had always a desire to create a new nation in the barbaric lands of America. He had been associated with Raleigh in founding the settlements in Virginia, was president of the first Council, and it was through him that the exploration and map of New England were made by John Smith. Fitting out several expeditions which came to naught, he at last became associated with Captain John Mason, a kindred spirit, who had been governor of Newfoundland.1 The meeting of such men struck coruscant and rapid sparks of enthusiasm. In quick succession they secured various charters, which were intended to, and really did, cover most of the territory now in New Hampshire and Maine.
A patent was given by King James to Gorges and Mason of " the country between the Merrimac and Kennebec to the farthest head of said rivers, and sixty miles inland," and all islands, etc., within five leagues of the shore, which the indenture says "they intend to call the PROVINCE OF MAINE." This has been erroneously stated to be the grant of Laconia, but, as General Chamber- lain says, "The true Laconia grant was in 1629, and embraces the river and lake of the Iroquois (Champlain), and the lands bordering on these waters ten miles on the south and east, and still further west and north towards Canada."
An association or mercantile organization formed by Gorges, Mason, and leading merchants of prominent English cities, sent many ships and some emigrants in 1622 and 1623, and established trading stations at Piscataqua, Monhegan, and, particularly in 1623, at Saco, where for fourteen years Gorges had attempted to establish a settlement. But the exclusive privileges granted to the Plymouth Council caused great complaint, especially in the jurisdiction over fisheries, and Gorges was summoned before the bar of the House of Commons, and called upon to deliver his patent. He made an able defence, and the king, although requested by the House, would not recall the Charter of the Plymouth Council. Public sentiment was so strong that it checked for some time the spirit of colonization, and the Council suspended active operations.
In 1624 Gorges procured a patent of 24,000 acres at Agamenticus, now York, and individually began its settlement. In 1626 the New Plymouth colonists erected a trading-house at Penobscot, and the next year (1627) obtained from the Plymouth Council "the first Kennebec patent." March 19, 1627, the Council granted a patent to six associates, who joined twenty
1 The first grant of territory by the Plymouth Council was to him. It embraced " the lands between Merrimack and Naumkeag, from their sources to the sea, including all islands within three miles of the coast." The territory was named Mariana, and the grant was dated March 2, 1621.
53
EARLY TITLES, OCCUPANCY, ETC.
others with them, and March 4, 1628, obtained a royal charter by which it became the colony of Massachusetts Bay. Its patent covered the lands between the lines a league southerly of the river Charles, and northerly of the Merrimack. January 13, 1629, the Kennebeck or Plymouth patent was granted. Mason and Gorges agreed this year to make the Piscataqua river their line of division, and the Plymouth Council, November 7, 1629, granted Mason the territory west of the Piscataqua in the Laconia grant as New Hampshire.
In 1630 was granted the Lygonia patent, forty miles square, which extended to the Kennebunk river west, and Harpswell on the east. This was signed for the Council by its president, the Earl of Warwick, and Sir Ferdinando Gorges.1 March 2, 1630, the Muscongus patent, extending "from the sea between the rivers Penobscot and Muscongus to an unsurveyed line running east and west so far north as would without interfering with the Kennebeck or other patent embrace a territory equal to thirty miles square." This later was the " Waldo patent," so called from the then principal proprietors. In 1631 "the Pejypscot patent" of 1,500 acres on the north side of the river was granted to Richard Bradshaw, to include "lands not formerly granted to any other." The last grants of lands by the Plymouth Council in the territory now the State of Maine were made in 1632. They were: First, the Pemaquid patent. This extended " from the sea between Muscongus and Damariscotta rivers (includ- ing the Damariscove islands and all others within nine leagues of the shore) so far northward as to include 12,000 acres and one hundred acres for each person brought by the proprietors within seven years and who reside here three years." Second, the Way and Purchase patent, including a tract on the river Bishoppscotte (Pejepscot), the Androscoggin and all that bounds and limits the mainland to the extent of two miles. 2
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.