USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 105
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
851
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
colonel. He was a Universalist and a Free Mason, and few men were more widely known or more highly respected. He was prominent in promoting the Androscoggin Railroad. His son, Augustus, lived in Livermore. George Byron Strickland, a descendant of Rev. John Strickland and of one of the early families in Livermore, is a native of the town. His parents were Capt. John and Julia A. (Sawin) Strickland. George B. is a Democrat, though not a politician, and has served his townsmen as clerk, selectman, and member of the school committee for several years. He is now engaged in farming.
February 28, 1795, the " Plantation called Livermore lying on both sides of the Androscoggin river and bounded as followeth, viz, beginning at a Hemlock tree standing in the North-east corner of Turner on the westerly side of the Androscoggin river thence running North 60° west in the Northeasterly line of said Turner 2 miles 210 Rods to a Birch tree thence North 4 miles 240 Rods to a Hemlock tree being the North-westerly corner of said Livermore thence North 65° East 3 miles and 100 rods to Androscoggin river thence East across said river 2 miles 260 rods to a birch tree in the Northeast corner of said Liver- more thence south 7 miles 250 rods to Androscoggin Pond thence southerly by said pond about one mile and an half to an Elm Tree standing in the southerly line of said Livermore thence West in said southerly line about 2 miles and 190 rods to Androscoggin River, thence Northerly by said river to the first mentioned bound " and containing 30,220 acres, was incorporated into a town called LIVERMORE.
Rev. Paul Coffin, the faithful missionary, made several visits and records thus in his journal in these years: 1797. Sept. 8. Livermore. Crossed the river and rode seven miles to Dea. Livermore's. Rode three miles to Mr Morse's and preached from Jerem. 7:22, 23. This Morse is an admirable smith for shoeing horses, and cured a lame foot of my horse. In this town are Messrs. Williams and Robertson, Baptistic preachers, and Mr Hillman, a Methodist one. Sabbath. Sept. 10. Livermore. Preached at the house of Nath. Perley, from Matthew 1:21., and Psalms 141:2. This Perley is son of Rev. Perley of Gray, and married to a daughter of Rev. Strickland of Turner. A son of said Strickland has married a daughter of said Perley. Both families live in vicinity. Was treated very well by both, and seemed at home. Rev. Strickland kept Sabbath with us. Baptized Isaac, child of Hastings Strickland and Sally. Jay and Livermore have about 100 families each. 1798. Aug. 27. Sat out for Livermore through part of Hartford. Aug. 29. Called at Samuel Atwood's in Livermore and gave instruction and Hemmenway's sermon. Put up agreeably at Dr Hamblin's in Livermore. Aug. 30. Livermore. Dr. Hamblin. His wife, house and situation are all agreeable. Visited David Learned's family and being unwell, spent the day with this pleasant and serions couple. Gave them instruction and Hemmenway's sermon. She is quite modest and obliging, and gave me a successful cordial for my cholic. Preached at Dr Hamblin's from 2d Timothy 3:14, 15. Gave instruction, and a Psalter and primer to Daniel Lovewell's wife. Invited by the wife of Abijah Munroe to put up with them for the night. He had just sprung his net on six dozen pigeons, and took them all. To take a whole flock is a common thing with him. This is near my friend Morse, the excellent blacksmith, near Turner. Aug. 31. Livermore, Friday. Grasshoppers were hurtful here, and in several other places between this and Windham. This town has about
852
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
130 families, two-thirds grown in three years; much divided, having many Baptists, and two of them ministers, and one Methodistical preacher. They are superstitious, ignorant and predestinarian. Preached at Morse's to a small audience from Acts 17:30, 31. Returned to Munroc's and put up for the night. He and his wife are sensible and agreeable. Saturday. Sept. 1. There were in this place six pairs of twins under five years. The road from Rocomeco through Livermore to Turner is pretty straight about fifteen miles, and makes Livermore look much better to me than it did last year. Went to Deacon Livermore's and put up at that good house. He and son have about 50 excellent cattle, many sheep and horses and an orchard. Their house is large and high, of four rooms and two chimneys. They have four barns and as many sheds. From the Deacon's to Jay meeting house is 6 miles, to Sandy river 17, to Portland 63, to Turner 15. Sept. 2. Sabbath. Livermore. Preached at the School-house from Luke 2:13, 14 and Matthew 5:23, 24. Then rode to Jay, by Squire Richardson's over Noyes ferry, about eight miles. 1800. Sept. 9. Hartford. Livermore. Rode to Dr. Hamblin's of Livermore, visiting by the way, Messrs. Ames, Toland and Parker. Spake much with the Doctor, who seemed to suppose, as others also told me, that he had lately experienced the new birth. He is much of a predestinarian Baptist. He said, we regular clergy, teach people to do their best, and then, by 50 or 60 years they may arise to a ray of hope. He was evidently for that quick despatch which pleases many, and perhaps deceives thousands. Visited Mr Bartlet, and Major Learned. Mrs Learned only, was at home. She is, in person and behaviour quite engaging, attentive, decent and industrious. Her husband is beginning to trade. Has sold this summer goods to the amount of $500. His prospects are good. Sept. 10. Wednes- day. Livermore. The season was now happy and the grass green. Rode to my friend, Jonathan Morse, the excellent blacksmith. Preached from Acts 17:30, 31. His wife was the woman killed by the fall of his brother's house, 15th Aug. 1799. Put up with Abijah Monroe for the night. Sept. 11. Thursday. Livermore. Fayette. Still good weather for corn. A Mr Bemis of Livermore has this year raised 200 bushels of rye and his corn is believed to be 500. Dea. Livermore had a most thrifty and bearing orchard.
Nathaniel Perley, son of Rev. Samuel Perley, a descendant of Allen Perley, early of Ipswich, settled before 1797 near Turner line. He was prominent in affairs, a justice for many years, and was universally known as Esquire Perley. He died in 1844. His son, Nathaniel, succeeded W. H. Brettun, Jr, as a merchant about 1852, and was in trade until after the Civil War, when he removed to Illinois, where he died. Samuel. F. Perley, son of Nathaniel, Jr, succeeded his father in merchandising and was in trade for quite a number of years. He married Sarah D., daughter of William H. Brettun, Jr. They have one child, Bessie B. Mr Perley is a Democrat, a Universalist, a successful business man, and has been in town office nearly 20 years. His records as clerk are models of clearness and legibility.
Capt. Simeon Waters, with wife, Betsey (Marble) Waters, of Sutton, Mass., settled in Livermore, March 16, 1802, and he commenced work as a saddler. He was a farmer, also, and had one of the largest and best farms, situated on the southerly side of Waters's hill. He was the second captain of the Livermore company of cavalry; represented Livermore in the legislature of Massachusetts in 1806, 1808, 1809, 1810, 1812, 1814, 1815, 1816, and 1818, and
853
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
served often as a town officer. He died March 27, 1866, aged nearly 95 years. Among his children were Clarendon, who lived on the old farm until his death ; Brooksa, Almira, Cordelia, Abigail, Simeon, and Emeretta. Clarendon Waters was prominent in the Universalist church, a Republican in politics, a partici- pant in the town affairs, selectman of Livermore, and a good and practical citizen. His widow survives him.
Deacon Ira Thompson, who married Sophia Drew, of Kingston, Mass., was born at Middleboro' in 1780. [The Thompsons were pioneer settlers of that town, prominent in the militia, and in the administration of the town affairs. The first of the name came to Plymouth in 1635. Capt. Asa Thompson com- manded the oldest militia company in Massachusetts. Jacob Thompson was elected town clerk of Middleboro' in 1706, and served 37 years; and for more than a century the name Thompson appears on the list of selectmen, John Thompson being chairman of the first board in 1674. Editor.] Mr Thompson came to Livermore in 1803, and by energy and perseverance developed one of the finest farms in the section, and resided here until his death in 1857. He was a good citizen, and for over 30 years a deacon of the First Baptist Church. His sons were: Ira D., a farmer in Livermore; Arad ; Erastus ; Job D., who occupied the homestead, and Charles O. The family is represented in town by some of its prosperous farmers and respected citizens.
Israel Washburn, a son of a Revolutionary soldier (who was a member of the convention that adopted the first constitution of Massachusetts), was born in Raynham, Mass., November 18, 1784. He emigrated to Maine in 1806; taught school at first, then became a ship-builder and merchant at Richmond. In 1809 he purchased of Artemas Leonard his farm and store, established himself as a merchant, and made his home at the "Norlands," until his death in 1876. As merchant, magistrate, town officer, and representative many years, he was intimately connected with the town's affairs. A man of rare intel- ligence, affability, and great conversational powers, with a retentive memory, he was one whom it was both an honor and a pleasure to know. His wife was Martha, daughter of Lieut Samuel Benjamin, who was born in Livermore, October 4, 1792, and died May 6, 1861. She possessed a strong natural intellect, great energy and decision of character, a sweet and amiable disposi- tion, a heart and hand ready for every good work, and an unostentatious piety. She inculcated in her children all that was most noble and valuable in life. As Hon. Hannibal Hamlin said : " Rome in all her glory never produced such a mother as the mother of the Washburns." Children : Israel (LL.D.), born June 6, 1813, died May 15, 1883, was educated for the bar, and settled at Orono, December, 1834. He continued in practice until about 1860. He was a member of the legislature in 1842, and representative from the Penobscot district in the 32d, 33d, 34th, 35th, and 36th Congresses of the United States. He resigned January 1, 1861, having been elected governor of Maine in 1860.
854
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
He was re-elected in September, 1861, and declined a subsequent election. In 1863 he was appointed by President Lincoln collector of the port of Portland, and held that office for many years. He was a Universalist and a president of the board of trustees of Tufts College. In 1874 he published "Notes Historical, Etc., of Livermore," an exhaustive work, of which we have made extensive use. His surviving children are Israel H., a retired officer of U. S. Marines, Ada, and Maud. Algernon S., was a merchant in Boston, and after- wards a banker in Hallowell, where he died in 1879. His son, John, is at the head of the reorganized Washburn-Crosby Company at Minneapolis. Elihu B., studied law, went to Illinois in 1840, and commenced practice at Galena, where he married Adele Gratiot. (Their son, Hempstead, is the present mayor of Chicago. Another son, William Pitt Washburn, was born in Washington, D. C., April 22, 1854. He makes the Norlands his summer residence.) In 1852 he was elected representative in Congress and was continued in this office till March, 1869, being at the time of his retirement the oldest member by consecutive elec- tions. In March, 1869, he was appointed secretary of state, but soon resigned to accept the office of minister plenipotentiary to France. He was in Paris as , minister during the siege by the Prussians and the reign of the Commune, and did most admirable service. He died at Chicago in 1887. Cadwalader C. (LL.D.), was a lawyer, and settled in Mineral Point, Wis., about 1841, and later removed to Madison in that state. He was a member of the 34th, 35th, 36th, 39th, and 40th Congresses; was a major-general in the Civil War. In Novem- ber, 1871, he was elected governor of Wisconsin. He died in Arkansas in 1882. Martha married Col Charles L. Stephenson, a native of Gorham, and resided in Galena, Ill. Charles A., graduated at Bowdoin and later became a publisher and editor in Californa. He was an elector at large from that state in 1860; in 1861 was appointed U. S. minister resident at Paraguay. He was recalled at his own request in 1869. He was author of a history of Paraguay, and of other works. He died in New York in 1889.
master, and afterwards an extensive lumberman, and a captain in the navy in
Samuel B. was a ship-
the Civil War. He died in 1890. Mary B. (dec.) married Gustavus A. Buffum. Frank W. and Charles G., their sons, are prominent lumbermen of Louisiana, Mo. William D. graduated at Bowdoin in 1854, studied law, and subsequently was extensively interested in timber lands and mill property in Minnesota. From 1861 to 1865 he was surveyor-general of Minnesota, and has been president of Minneapolis & St Louis Railroad, a member of Congress from Minnesota, and prominent in the wonderful development of the water- power at Minneapolis, and connected with the immense flouring mills at that city, as well as in various official and financial relations. Caroline A. married Dr Freeland S. Holmes, surgeon of the Sixth Maine, who died in service in September, 1863. Her home is in Minneapolis. This one family has given to the nation four members of Congress from four different states, one secretary of
855
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
state, two foreign ministers, two governors of two different states, one major- general in the U. S. army, and one captain in the U. S. navy.
Capt. Otis Pray settled here about 1810, and was extensively engaged as a mill-wright, and had the reputation of being a superior workman. He became captain of the Livermore cavalry, and in his later years cultivated the well- known farm south of the Norlands church, which he had occupied more than 60 years. He was an honored citizen, and died in 1874, aged 85 years. He was brother of Gen. Publius R. R. Pray. His sons were Albert C. and Otis A. Captain Pray's brothers, Publius and Ephraim, came with him, and resided here for many years (see page 847).
Samuel Morison settled here about 1810. He moved to Bangor in 1835. Of his sons, Samuel B. was a graduate of Bowdoin, and after practicing some years as a physician, moved to Bangor and was U. S. pension agent; Dorillus was a wealthy man in Minneapolis, where he was mayor; H. G. O. also became a prominent citizen of Minnesota. Russell S. was a merchant of Bangor.
John Smith came from Brentwood, N. H., in 1816, and engaged in tanning near the Falls and did a profitable business. He married Mary Sanborn, of Acton. He was one of the first directors of the Androscoggin railroad, and a prominent and generous member of the Baptist church of Livermore Falls for 58 years. After a life of unostentatious usefulness, he died April 26, 1880, aged 94. Caleb Smith, son of John and Mary (Sanborn) Smith, was born in Livermore, March 2, 1818. Mr Smith continued the business of his father as a tanner and currier, and has a farm of 500 acres, which he conducts with his sons, Samuel, Franklin B., and Charles B .; another son, Horace, is in the shoe business in Portland, Ore .; Wallace died in Livermore. Mr Smith married Fannie W. Winslow, a native of Jay. He is a Republican in politics, and represented his district in 1873, is a Baptist in his religious affiliations, and an esteemed and valued citizen.
Naphtali Coffin, Asa Bartlett, Thomas and David Rich, Jacob Bemis, Jesse Kidder, George Chandler, Col Josiah Hobbs, Benjamin Winslow, Perez Ellis, James Timberlake, Solomon Edes, Capt. Charles J. Baker, Isaac Fuller, Ichabod Boothby, Thomas and Hezekiah Bryant, Isaac Hamlin, Samuel Beals, David Whitman, Elisha Chenery, William Thompson, Rufus Hewett, James Walker, Ebenezer Hinds, Jr, Isaiah Keith, Apollos Jones, Staey Knox, J. Basford, Samuel Hersey, Eben Keith, Dea. John Elliot, Dea. Benjamin True, Daniel Briggs, John Bigelow, Col Bartholomew Woodbury, Ephraim Child, David Read, John Sanders, Peter Humphrey, Joshua Campbell, Col William, Robert, James, and Samuel Morison, Lieut Israel Paul, Benjamin, Daniel, and Didymus Edgecomb, Joseph Meserve, Joseph Merrill, and others were valuable additions to the town in the early part of the century, most of them from Massachusetts. The route generally used by them on their way was by sailing vessels to Hallowell, by wagons or sleighs to the end of the road at Androseoggin pond. There they embarked in the primitive boats or seows to cross the pond, go down Dead river, and up the Androseoggin to the ferry above the "rips." The first ferry, at "Tolla-Walla," was soon abandoned and Hillman's Ferry (then called Fuller's)
856
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
was established. One was in use for a time below the Falls, and one at Lieutenant Benja- min's, which was discontinued about 1835, and Strickland's Ferry, then Norris's, was put into use.
Deacon Livermore, the first settler and a large proprietor, from whom the town was named, was a wise man of wealth and drew about him other settlers of worth and means. Many of the settlers came from Cambridge, Watertown, Waltham, others from Worcester and Bristol counties, and Martha's Vineyard. Those from the vicinity of Boston were familiar with orcharding and Liver- more early became noted for the quantity and quality of its fruit. "From Bristol and Worcester counties came those whose descendants made known the town in Boston markets for its excellent cheese." In elements of intelli- gence, education, and strong mental powers few of the towns of Maine had such valuable possessions in their settlers, and their descendants have done honor to the town in the highest positions of public, political, and commercial life in the land.
CHAPTER LIII.
Excerpts from Town Records- Early Mills-Early Traders and Tradesmen -Liver- more Village - North Livermore -Livermore Centre-Farmers -Revolutionary Soldiers - Early Militia - War of 1812-Civil War -Ecclesiastical - Physicians and Lawyers - Education - The Norlands - Washburn Memorial Library -Civil List.
T HE FIRST TOWN MEETING was held April 13, 1795, at the house of Deacon Elijah Liver- more. Samuel Hillman was chosen town clerk and treasurer; David Learnerd, Sylvanus Boardman, and Pelatiah Gibbs, selectmen; Pelatiah Gibbs, constable; James Norton, Elisha Smith, William Lindsey, David Morse, Samuel Sawin, Reuben Wing, Abraham Fuller, surveyors of roads; Thomas Chase, David Morse, Elijah Stephens, surveyors of lumber; Ransom Norton, sealer of weights and measures; Thomas Chase and Isaac Lovewell, fence viewers; Elijah Stephens and Abijah Munroe, hog-reeves; and James Delano, pound-keeper. July 28, £50 were voted for roads, £10 for schools, £15 for the poor, paying town officers, and other charges. Elisha Williams, Samuel Benjamin, and Ransom Norton were chosen to form school districts. Roads were accepted from Turner, from Jay to Fayette, from E. Stephen's ferry, from Deacon Livermore's to New Sand- wich, from the road to Turner's Mills to Chase's Mills, from the Turner road to Chase's Mills, from Littleborough to Benjamin's Mills, from Samuel Sawin's towards Fuller's and Learnard's Ferry, and from Turner road towards Deacon Livermore's. 1796. January 11, Sylvanus Boardman was chosen delegate to vote against the division of the county of Cumberland. This meeting was held at the school-house. March 7, Thomas Chace, Samuel Benjamin, and David Morse were chosen school wards. Voted that the east side of the river be a school district, and that " Nezer Daile, Nathaniel Perley, Ransom Norton, Thomas Choolege, Samuel Benjamin, and Thomas Wing divide the west side into six districts." April 4, first election of state officers. Increase Sumner received all the 40 votes cast for governor. 1797. April 3, voted to build a pound within 50 rods of James Delano's house. May 10, voted unanimously to ask for the separation of the district of Maine. November 5, voted to petition the General Court to divide Livermore into two towns, and make the river the dividing line between the counties of Cumberland and Lincoln. 1799. April 1, voted to raise $800 for highways. 1801. September 29, Cyrus Hamlin was chosen delegate to a convention at Paris to consider the propriety of
857
TOWN OF LIVERMORE.
erecting a separate county. 1803. April 4, voted to raise $130 for hiring preaching. Voted that the assessors take the minds of the inhabitants respecting what denomination each one will pay his money to. 1804. In March voted to be annexed to the county of Kennebec if disunited from Cumberland. April 2, David Learned, Elijah Livermore, and Jesse Stone were chosen a committee to petition to sell the ministerial and parsonage lands. May 8, voted that any [religious] society in town have the consent of the town to get incorporated.
1805. May 6, voted to give 25 cents for crows' heads, this year. November 25, voted Col David Learned to remonstrate against dividing the county into half " shiers." 1807. April 6, 83 votes were cast in favor of the erection of Maine into a separate state, and 54 against. October 2, voted to raise $150 for military stores, and " to build a Powder house of Brick and stone on the Isaac Lovell nook." Voted that Mr Sylvanus Boardman be accepted as the town's minister and put in possession of the remaining part of the right of land granted to the town, he giving security for the payment of $450, to be divided between the Methodist and Universal societies, and indemnifying the town with respect to the use of ministry land or any other ways to support him. 1808. May 2, votes for the reconsideration of the settlement of Elder Boardman 54, votes for the settlement 45. 1813. April 5, voted to petition Congress to have the post route continued from Livermore to Farmington. 1814. April 4, voted to divide the money arising from the ministerial fund amongst the male inhabitants who are 21 years and upwards, and Ira Thompson, Abel Munroe, and Simeon Waters were chosen a committee to do this. 1815. March 6, the selectmen were instructed to procure cartridges and balls sufficient for all the training soldiers in town and deposit them in the magazine prior to the first Tuesday in May next and give notice thereof to the several commanders and companies. 1816. Yeas 124, nays 20, on the separa- tion of Maine. Benjamin Bradford and William H. Brettun were chosen delegates to a convention at Brunswick concerning the separation. 1818. May 4, voted to take a new ceusus for dividing the interest of the minister fund-money and chose Baley Hathaway, Theodore Mastin, and John Turner to represent the Baptist church; William Morison, Abel Monroe, and Nathan Soule, the Methodist; John Griffith, John Leavitt, and Jonathan Bryant, the Universalist. 1819. July 26, voted that the select- men agree with the several ferrymen to ferry the voters on the east side of the river at the expense of the town when going to and from town meetings. September 20, Benjamin Bradford and Thomas Chase, Jr, were chosen delegates to the constitutional convention at Portland. December 20, Livermore cast 76 votes for the adoption of the constitution, and 2 against it.
1820. April 3, William King had 111 votes for the first governor of Maine, Mark L. Hill 15, John Howard 4, Ezekiel Whitman, Merchant Philbrick, and Thomas Chase, Jr, 1 each. 1822. September 9, William H. Brettun & Son, Samuel Morison, Israel Washburn, Davis Washburn, Elisha Pettengill, John S. Stone, Abijah Munroe, and John A. Kimball were licensed as retailers of liquors. 1823. April 7, Isaac Fuller was allowed $5 for placing plank on the edge of the river at his ferry to make it safe passing at this season of the year. September 8, voted to assess $300 upon District No. 7, to build a school-house. 1826. April 3. This meeting was held at the Baptist meeting-house instead of the Methodist, the usual place of meeting, and voted the September meeting be at the Baptist meeting-house. 1827. March 6, voted to give the Methodists $6 a year for the use of their house for town meetings. March 1, 1833, the $200 (interest from the ministerial fund) was divided: The Universalist Society (west side) received $45; Universalist (east side), $23.66; First Baptist, $36.65; Second Baptist, $7.42; Third Baptist, $25.52; Methodist (west side), $26.91; Methodist (east side), $21.34; Freewill Baptist, $9.74; Elder Hayes, $3.72. 1837. March 24, voted to receive the public money and to apply it in payment for the farm recently purchased. 1840. September 14, voted not to divide the town.
1843. March 6, the town consented to the incorporation of East Livermore. September 11, the public property of Livermore was divided between Livermore and East Livermore. 1846. March 2, voted that the selectmen employ a physician, in whom they have confidence, "to vaccinate all the inhabitants of the town with Kine pock, who may be willing." 1847. May 24, the selectmen were directed to procure a new hearse, etc., and ascertain the cost of a hearse-house. 1852. February 4, refused to loan the credit of the town to the Androscoggin Railroad. 1855. May 1, Clarendon Waters was appointed liquor agent. 1858. June 7, Livermore gave 111 votes for the Prohibitory Law and one for the License Law of 1856. September 13, Jolin Saunders, Zebulon Goding, Nathaniel Perley, and Wm Child, with a majority of the selectmen, were made a committee to purchase a town farm. 1859. March 7, voted that the selectmen be instructed to regard the Second Advent Christians and Spirit- ualists as religious societies and entitled to their just proportion of said interest of the ministerial fund. 1860. March 19, the selectmen were authorized to purchase the Phineas S. Gibbs farm for a town farm, at a price not exceeding $700. September 10, for governor, Israel Washburn, Jr, had 211 votes, and
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.