History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 94

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 94


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


1 His sister Mary (Mrs Ebenezer Ayer) also settled in Minot.


766


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Maria married Charles Henry Moody, of Minot, November 19, 1865, and died November 28, 1876, leaving two sons, John Marshall and James Edwards.


In 1810 Eliab Washburn, of Belchertown, Mass., came to Minot in the first wagon ever seen in this vicinity. About 1817 Joseph Washburn made one for himself, and some for sale. No wheels were used here before that date. James E. remembers hearing old Mr Sampson say : "Some men will tell how much they can mow; others how much they can rake; but the main thing is to get the hay on to the sled." In January, 1811, at the age of three months, James W. Washburn rode to New York City, with his parents, in a sleigh which his father had made the previous year, and on which he had put a canvas top, painted black. This sleigh is still in use, though the canvas top was laid aside on coming home from that journey. They were two weeks in reaching their destination, and three weeks coming home. The sleighing was poor on the way home, and one set of steel runners was worn out and another procured on the way. In 1820 David Lyon, with his wife, a sister of Mrs Joseph Washburn, came from New York City to Minot in a chaise. It was the first covered wheeled vehicle seen in this locality, and attracted much attention. Mrs Eliab Washburn, of Minot, was a woman of some education, and wrote for publication. She was good at drawing and possessed of considerable ingenuity. When the color of figures in her dress offended her taste she painted them over, and when Joseph's hat gave out, and there was no money to buy another, she made him one of paper and blackened it with soot. In pleasant weather Joe hoed his corn in as good looking a hat (at a little distance, at least,) as any boy wore, but when a rain came on he tucked it under his arm and ran for the house.


Minot was early found on the side of temperance. April 7, 1828, Rev. E. Jones, William Ladd, and Josiah Little were appointed a committee to draw up some resolutions on the subject of temperance, but even the foremost in the cause for a time went feeling their way along. At a temperance meeting held in Minot Centre meeting-house in 1829 the president, Rev. Elijah Jones, stated that he had not fully made up his mind that total abstinence would be best. It was not long, however, before he did arrive at that conclusion. Another minister used to say that he "thought men ought to have a little rum when mowing on a wet meadow." At one time when Esquire Noyes was about to raise a small farm building he sent for Joseph Washburn and his sons to help. When they reached the place he said: "I've bought some rum, and it's generally customary to take it after the building is raised ; but there are only a few of us, and it'll make us a little stronger to lift, so I guess we'll drink it now." Still another neighbor, while making a speech at a Fourth of July temperance meeting, said : "I think cider does me good. My blood is natu- rally sluggish, and cider kind of enrages me."


767


TOWN OF MINOT.


Voters in 1800. - John Allen, John Atkinson, Peris Andrews, Daniel and John Alden, Capt. John, John, Jr, Samuel, Joseph, Willard Bridgham, Stephen and Ichabod Benson, William B., Israel, Israel, Jr, Daniel Bray, Edmond and David Bayley, Jonathan Bartlett, Gideon Bearce, Benjamin Butler, Daniel, Calvin, Shephard Bucknam, Benjamin Clifford, Merrill and Edmund Chase, John Campbell, Squire and Job Caswell, William Child, John Carr, William Chipman, Joshua, Isaac, Thomas Crooker, William Cordwell, Joseph and Cushing Daws, Zadoc Dean, Jacob, Aaron, Amos, and Jonathan Dicinal, Lt Samuel, Samuel, John, Thomas Downing, Zebulon, Jr, Davis, Simeon Dennen, Moses, Moses, Jr, Emery, John and Samuel Glorer, John Gowel, John Goodwin, James Goff, Moses and Elijah Hackett, William and Nathan Haskell, John Hodge, Hatevil Hall, John and Joseph Herrick, Benjamin, Joshua, Joseph Hutchins, Nathan Hanson, Edward Hawkes, James and James, Jr, Hodgkins, James Hill, Moses and Joseph House, Henry Jackson, Job and Benjamin Lane, Michael Little, Joseph and John Leech, Abiel Lapham, Ichabod King, John Q. and Seth Keith, Reuben Merrow, Samuel and Samuel, Jr, Morgan, Elias and Jabez Merrill, Isaac, Uriah, Nathan, John, Richard Nason, Nicholas Noyes, William Numan, James Perkins, Levi Perry, James and Alpheus Packard, James Parker, Moses, Moses, Jr, Richard, William, William, Jr, Pottle, Samuel Pulsifer, Diminick Row, Jesse Rice, Dennis Ryan, Samuel and Levi Shaw, Samuel and William Swett, Jacob Stevens, David and Nathaniel Small, Lt Nehemiah Sawtell, Stephen Safford, Seth Sampson, Benjamin Toms, David Trull, John True, Samuel, Samuel, Jr, Davis, William Verrill, Solomon Woolcott, Michael Wilcome, True, John, Isaiah, William Woodman, Eliab, Manasseh, Joseph Wash- burn, Davis Woodward, Stephen, Stephen, Jr, Samuel, Joseph Ycaton, Christopher Young, John Coy, George Erskine, James Jewett, Isaac Britt, Moses Snell, Moses Judkins, Thomas Brown, Aaron and James Bird, John and George Townsend, Thomas Knowlton, Nathaniel Daily, Samuel Andrus, Ichabod Runnels, Joseph Currier, Samuel Knight, Benjamin Peterson, Simeon Noyes, Benjamin and Philemon Hubbard, Nathan Cutler, James Harlow, Jonathan and Lemuel Nash, Benjamin, Parker, Alphens Drake, Thomas Lombard, Charles Ford, John Gardner, Robert Hillburne.


The early settlers had great trouble in securing titles to their land, not knowing of whom to obtain it. Some were ejected from their holdings, some after long and expensive litigation held under the homestead act, others again bought peace and possession by paying a high price. For full statement of the controversy, see Bakerstown.


768


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


CHAPTER XLV.


Town Records, Happenings, Etc. - Minot in the War-Civil List -Churches - Schools - Physicians.


OWN RECORDS, HAPPENINGS, ETC .- 1802, April 5, the first town- meeting was held in the school-house near Levi Shaw's, warrant issued by Nathaniel C. Allen, Esq., of New Gloucester, to Nicholas Noyes, of Minot. First selectmen, Nicholas Noyes, Win Briggs, and John Chandler; first treasurer and town clerk, Chandler Freeman; committee to settle accounts with Poland, Doctor Jesse Rice, Ichabod King, and Samuel Shaw. May 3 meeting was held at the house of Deacon James Perkins. Voted to raise a sum of money for the use of the destruction of the crows; 12 cents and 5 mills on the head ; the selectmen shall receive the heads and burn them, and give orders on the treasury for the bounty. Voted to buy two palls to cover the dead. Voted to raise $50 for the use of the town. 1803, May, voted to build a pound near Nicholas Noyes's ; that the poor shall be put up at vendue; not to build a meeting-house, and not to send a representative. 1804, April 6, at the Con- gregational society's meeting-house, " Voted to build a bridge near Nason's mills with Poland." T


1806, December 29, First town meeting in the Centre meeting-house. Samuel Verrill was chosen to succeed Chandler Freeman as town clerk. 1809, at the first meeting to choose representative, there were 34 candidates. Doctor Seth Chandler had 112 votes out of 303. There seems to have been no political division. The town was almost wholly Democratic. 1812, political divisions begin between Democratic and Federal parties. 1814, April 4, Jacob Hill, Esq., (the first lawyer) was chosen town agent. "Voted to choose a committee to go to Dr Snell (then living at Winthrop), for advice for the disorder (typhus fever), increasing in the town." In May, Godfrey Grosvenor removed to Minot from New Gloucester, and in June William Ladd removed from Portsmouth, N. H., to Minot. About this time, many influential men changed their politics from Democratic to Federal. July 4, an oration at the Centre meeting-house by Wmn Ladd, and a public dinner in a grove near Marshall Washburn's. 1816, May 20, voted on separation of Maine from Massachusetts, ayes 89, noes 108. September 16, chose Godfrey Grosvenor and Wm Ladd delegates to the constitutional convention at Brunswick, if there should be five-ninths of the voters of Maine in favor of a separation. 1819, July 26, voted on the separation question, ayes 100, noes 95. Chose Chandler Freeman and Asaph Howard (Democrat) delegates to a convention for forming a constitution for the State of Maine. December 6, voted to accept the constitution of Maine, ayes 57, noes 13. 1820, April 3, Asaph Howard (Democrat) chosen representative to new General Court at Portland. May 26, a remarkable snow-storm, apple trees in blossom, sleighs out. August 24, a fast on account of the extra- ordinary drought. October 9, first hard frost this year. 1825, May 5, a violent snow-storm. 1826, May 15, heat at 90 degrees at 5 P.M. 1827, June 23, Universalist Society formed. 1828, December 9, ground open and ploughing done.


769


TOWN OF MINOT.


Statistics of Minot, 1825.1-School-houses 20. Grist-mills 6. Fulling mills 2. Bark mills and tanneries 3. Carding machines 2. Number of inhabitants (by census of 1820) 2,525. Number of families 402. Social libraries 4. Number of acres of land 34,760. Meeting-houses 4. Post offices 4. One Congregational society, Rev. Elijah Jones. One Baptist society, Elder G. Ricker. One Methodist society, Rev. Moses Emery. One other Congregationalist, partly in Hebron, destitute. One other Baptist, partly in Hebron, Elder G. Tripp. One or two Free Will Baptists. One tract society, one missionary society, Con- gregational. One tract society, Baptist, two associations, auxiliary. Two foreign missions, one Sabbath school society. One lodge of Free Masons. One lawyer, three ministers, four physicians, and four or five men of liberal education. three tavern keepers, about ten shop


keepers. 1830. - Taxable polls 494. Inhabitants 2,908. 25 paupers; expense of their


support $530.07. Dwelling-houses 392. Barns 424. Stores for sale of merchandise 8. Tanneries 3. Work-shops and out-buildings over $20 value 169. School districts and school-houses 22. Grist-mills 6. Saw-mills 9. Clapboard machine 1. Shingle machines 5. Sugar-box machines 1. Clothing mills 2. Acres of tillage land 1,211. Tons of upland hay cut 2,652. Acres of pasturage 4,061. Barrels of cider made 892. Horses and colts 477. Horned stock over 1 year 2,802. Sheep, native, merino, and mixed, 1 year old 6,686. Meeting-houses 4. Over 200 members of the United Congregational church. There has. been another Universalist society formed since the first. There is no regular Universalist preaching. About 80 male members, including those out of town. About 85 members of the Methodist church. A number of Free Will Baptists. No Quakers or Roman Catholics, no professed infidels.


1836, April 23, the selectmen fixed the territory of the several militia companies. Hiram Churchill, Robert Martin, William B. Merrill, and John Townsend were the com- manders. 1837, voted Daniel Briggs, Jr, agent to receive the surplus revenue, and Nathan L. Woodbury, Daniel Briggs, Jr, and William Lowell, Jr, to loan in sums not exceeding $100. William Ladd, Daniel Briggs, Jr, and Moses Emery were chosen to remonstrate against the admission of Texas into the Union. 1841, April 20, dividing the town on the " curve line," the vote was yeas 226, nays 222. September 20, the representative was instructed to oppose the division of the town. 1842, January 10, at a special meeting called to consider the division of the town, a motion to procure the formation of a new town from the eastern part of Minot and a part of Danville was voted down, 157 to 111. Voted to oppose the annexation of a part of Minot to Danville, and action was taken to oppose the division. February 12, one more attempt was made to gain the town's consent but defeated 305 to 216. 1843, November 26, " voted to insist upon prohibiting the sale of all ardent spirits in violation of the laws of this state."


1844, November 24, the line between Minot and Auburn was perambulated. November 11 voted to build a town-house near Atkinson's Corner, the selectmen to purchase a site and make contract to build the house inside of one year, and to use the old town-house in any way they might think best. 1845, March 7, the selectmen were instructed not to license any persons to sell spirituous liquors except for medical and mechanical purposes. Voted to receive Jabez C. Woodman's books for a town library, the town clerk to keep the library and lend out one book at a time to any voter, to be returned in five weeks. 1846, March 30, Daniel Freeman, Asa Bearce, Jr, and Isaiah Woodman were chosen to purchase a town farm. 1847, March 1, $600 was voted toward paying for the town farm. 1848, March 13, $500 raised towards the town farm. 1849, March 12, voted to enforce the law in regard to the sale of liquors and the maintenance of bowling alleys. 1851, April 7, a vain


1 Given by William Ladd.


770


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


attempt was made to move the town-house to Mechanic Falls. 1853, February 15, "Voted to instruct our representatives and request our senators to oppose the petition for a new county. 1854, October 2, for shire-town Auburn had 255 votes, Lewiston 27, and Danville 2. 1856, September 8, Hannibal Hamlin had 260 votes for governor, Samuel Wells 129, and George F. Patten 11. 1858, June 7, Minot gave 156 votes (all cast) for the prohibitory law. 1859, October 24, the line between Minot and Hebron was perambulated. 1860, March 12, the selectmen were instructed to sell the town farm and property connected therewith, at a fair price.


1865, September 11, voted to fund the town debt, payable in equal installments from one to ten years with annual interest. 1867, June 3, Minot voted unanimously, 114 votes, for another amendment to the liquor law. 1869, March 8, the selectmen were authorized to sell the town house. 1872, March 11, voted to exempt manufacturers' buildings costing $5,000, whose annual production shall be $25,000, from taxation for 10 years. 1873, Sep- tember 8, S. W. Shaw, Marshall Jordan, and L. B. Attwood were chosen to co-operate with the supervisor in establishing a free high school. September 8, Nelson Dingley, Jr, had 192 votes for governor, Joseph Titcomb 105, Benjamin F. Butler 2. 1879, March 10, voted $25 for Decoration Day expenses. 1880, November 4, the Hebron and Turner lines peram- bulated. November 13, Oxford town line perambulated. 1883, William Lord, aged 93, died. He was a pensioner of the War of 1812 and the oldest man in town. 1884, Septem- ber 8, voted 241 for, 51 against, the prohibitory amendment to the constitution. 1888, March 5, the selectmen were instructed to build a lock-up at Mechanic Falls, either alone or in connection with the town of Poland. 1891, voted to raise $3,000 in money for high- ways, $2,000 for schools, $500 for culverts and bridges, $25 for Memorial Day, $1,500 for poor, $600 for town officer's bills, $500 for text-books, $800 for a free high school, $1,000 to pay indebtedness, $800 to pay interest, $1,000 to build a bridge at Hackett's Mills in conjunction with Poland.


Minot in the War. - The call to arms met with a prompt response. The 212 men credited to the town come from 206 men, six re-enlisting; 133 were residents of the town. Nearly $50,000 was paid out for expenses, $43,590 going to pay bounties. 1861, June 1, the town voted $50 to defray expenses of raising a company at Mechanic Falls; also to aid families of any citizens of Minot who enlist in the company, and that if any soldier from Minot die in service, his body be brought home at the town's expense. 1862, July 23, voted $100 additional bounty to the state bounty to fill quota. August 23 voted a bounty of $20 to fill the town's quota of nine-months' men, and $80 additional bounty if the quota be filled by enlistment. September 8 voted to furnish supplies to soldiers' families, and to pay $100 bounty to fill quota. 1863, March 2, voted $500 to furnish aid to the families of volunteers ; also to pay no more bills for bringing home deceased soldiers. November 21 voted to pay $305 bounty, and to pay drafted men $100 bounty. 1864, March 7, ratified the doings of the selectmen relating to bounties and recruiting. August 20 voted to give a town note for $300 for the bounty in the last call for troops. 1865, January 2, selectmen were authorized to fill the quota for the town's best interest, and to hire the money, and February 14 they were authorized to pay the same bounties to drafted men as to volunteers -$300 for one year, $400 for two years, and $500 for three years.


CIVIL LIST. - Among the early selectmen were Nicholas Noyes, Michael Little, Amos Hersey, Isaac Crooker, Enoch Perkins, Willard H. Woodbury, Otis Nelson, N. L. Woodbury, Edwards E. Hawkes. Chandler Freeman was the first town clerk. He was succeeded in 1806 by Samuel Verrill, and he in 1833 by John B. Lane. 1836-John B. Lane, clerk; Barnabas Hackett, Enoch Littlefield, Win Crooker, selectmen. 1837-John B. Lane, clerk; Daniel Briggs, Jr, Barnabas Hackett, Asa Bearce, Jr, selectmen. 1838-John B. Lane, clerk; Calvin Bridgham, Asaph Howard, Enoch Little- field, selectmen. 1839-Peter Noyes, clerk; Daniel Briggs, Asa Bearce, Jr, Wm Lowell, Jr, selectmen.


771


TOWN OF MINOT.


1840-Peter Noyes, clerk; Daniel Briggs, Win Lowell, Jr, George Ricker, Jr, selectmen. 1841-Peter Noyes, clerk; Asa Bearce, Jr, George Ricker, Jr, John B. Lane, selectmen. 1842-Peter Noyes, clerk; John B. Lane (Wm Lowell from November), Asa Bearce, Jr, Albert Valentine, selectmen. 1843-Joshua Parsons, clerk; Asa Bearce, Jr, Peter Noyes, Win Crooker, selectmen. 1844-Joshua Parsons, clerk; Asa Bearce, Jr, Isaiah Woodman, Ezekiel Verrill, selectmen. 1845-Joshua Parsons, clerk; Asa Bearce, Jr, Isaialı Woodman, Samuel F. Waterman, selectmen. 1846-Joshua Parsons, clerk; Wmn Parcher, Gerrish Bridgham, Jacob Dwinal, selectmen. 1847-Wm Lowell, clerk; Peter Noyes, Nathaniel Cushman, Win Dale, selectmen. 1848-Wm Lowell, clerk; Peter Noyes, Nathaniel Cushi- man, Joseph Bucknam, selectmen. 1849-Wm Lowell, clerk; Joseph Bucknam, Asa Bearce, Jr, Roscoe L. Attwood, selectmen. 1850-Albert Valentine, clerk; Asa Bearce, Jr, Sullivan Woodman, Alexander B. Dwinal, selectmen. 1851-Wm Lowell, clerk; Wm L. Bonney, Sullivan Woodman, George Deane, selectmen. 1852-Josiah Carr, clerk; Calvin Bridgham, Jonathan C. Hawkes, Cyrus King. 1853- R. W. Carr, clerk (J. A. Bucknam from July 18); Jason Hall, J. D. Pulsifer, Charles Moody, selectmen. 1854-A. B. Dwinal, clerk; Jason Hall, Charles Moody, J. E. Washburn, select- men. 1855- A. B. Dwinal, clerk; Joseph Bucknam, Isaiah Woodman, William P. Bearce, selectmen. 1856- A. B. Dwinal, clerk; Joseph Bucknam, William P. Bearce, S. W. Shaw, selectmen. 1857-O. B. Dwinal, clerk; William P. Bearce, Stillman W. Shaw, William Moore, selectmen. 1858-O. B. Dwinal, clerk; Stillman W. Shaw, Joseph Bucknam, Jason Hilborn, selectmen. 1859- O. B. Dwinal, clerk; A. B. Dwinal, Jason Hilborn, Thomas Cushman, selectmen. 1860-Gideon Bearce, clerk; Joseph W. Chase, Samuel D. Hodgkins, Edwards G. Hawkes, selectmen. 1862- Gideon Bearce, clerk


A. B. Dwinal, Joseph W. Chase, Samuel D. Hodgkins, selectmen. 1861-Gideon Bearce, clerk; Joseph W. Chase, William P. Bearce, John W. Clark, selectmen. 1863-Gideon Bearce, clerk; William P. Bearce, Sullivan Woodman, Jason Hall, selectmen. 1864 - Gideon Bearce, clerk; Sullivan Woodman, F. H. Cobb, Benjamin Verrill, selectmen. 1865-Gideon Bearce, clerk; William P. Bearce, Jacob T. Chandler, Luther B. Atwood, selectmen. 1866- Lyman M. Cousens, clerk; Joseph Bucknam, Stillman W. Shaw, Sullivan Woodman, selectmen, 1867 -Lyman M. Consens, clerk; Stillman W. Shaw, Sullivan Woodman, Edmond L. Bailey, selectmen. 1868 - W. B. Bucknam, clerk; William Lowell, J. T. Chandler, Edmond L. Bailey, selectmen. 1869-Gideon Bearce, clerk; William Lowell, J. T. Chandler, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1870-Gideon Bearce, clerk; William Lowell, S. J. M. Perkins, William A. Tobie, selectmen. 1871-1872-1873-1874 -Gideon Bearce, clerk; William Lowell, S. J. M. Perkins, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1875-Gideon Bearce, clerk; S. J. M. Perkins, Oliver B. Dwinal, J. W. Hodge, selectmen. 1876-Gideon Bearce, clerk; S. J. M. Perkins, E. L. Bailey, J. W. Hodge, selectmen. 1877-1878-Thomas B. Swan, clerk; Oliver B. Dwinal, Gideon Bearce, Marshall Jordan, selectmen. 1879-Thomas B. Swan, clerk; Marshall Jordan, Gideon Bearce, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1880 - Thomas B. Swan, clerk; Marshall Jordan, John Richardson, George B. Atwood, selectmen. 1881- W. B. Bucknam, clerk; Gideon Bearce, P. R. Cobb, N. P. Downing, selectmen. 1882-3-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; Gideon Bearce, P. R. Cobb, N. P. Downing, selectmen. 1884-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; Gideon Bearce, N. P. Downing, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1885-1886-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; Gideon Bearce, F. M. Woodman, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1887-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; R. P. Rounds, O. N. Bailey, John H. Foss, selectmen. 1888-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; S. J. M. Perkins, F. H. McDonald, E. L. Bailey, selectmen. 1889-1890-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; S. J. M. Perkins, F. H. McDonald, A. R. Giddinge, selectmen. 1891-C. H. Dwinal, clerk; F. H. McDonald, S. M. Bean, A. C. Pulsifer, selectmen.


Congregational Church.1-The first record we have of public worship in Bakerstown was in 1784, at the house of Chandler Freeman. His father, Joseph Freeman, and wife came that year and conducted religious services. The inhabitants of Minot generally attended. In 1786 Rev. Mr Foxcroft of New Gloucester, Rev. Mr Gilman of North Yarmouth, and Rev. Mr Williams of Falmouth occasionally preached. In 1791, through the efforts of Rev. Wait Cornwell, missionary from Connecticut, the first revival was promoted ; and September 8 the first Congregational church was gathered, with 39 mem


1 We are indebted to Miss Lizzie E. Washburn for valuable assistance in preparing this article.


1


772


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


bers: Joseph Waterman, Joseph Freeman, Jonathan Chandler, James Shaw, Job Cushman, Isaac Cushman, Nathaniel Chandler, Samuel Pool, John Row, Noah Harsey, True Woodman, Jonathan Gurney, John Chandler, Chandler Freeman, Amos Harsey, Thomas Gurney, Joseph Bradbury, John Millet, Moses Bradbury, James Harsey, James Dunham, Benjamin Bradbury, Isaac Allen, Rebecca Chandler, Ruth Chandler, Olive Shaw, Anne Washburn, Mary Row, Mary Bradford, Mercy Harsey, Rebeckah Bisby, Caroline Freeman, Eunice Bradbury, Ruth Seabury, Elenor Bradbury, Mercy Chandler, Ruth Harsey, Abigail Pool, Salley Cobbet. The council met at Mr Jonathan Brad- ford's, Rev. Samuel Foxcroft and Peleg Chandler of New Gloucester, Deacon John Southworth of North Yarmouth, Rev. Alfred Johnson of Freeport, and Rev. Wait Cornwell composing it. 1791, November 30, the first church meet- ing was held at Chandler Freeman's. Joseph Freeman and Moses Bradbury were chosen deacons, and Noah Hersey "leader in the worship of singing." 1792, May 12, Deacon Joseph Freeman died, aged 65, and his son Chandler was chosen. 1793, December 11, Rev. Jonathan Scott came from Nova Scotia, and held religious services for some months, but went back in May, 1794. During his stay he persuaded the people to build a church, going from house to house, and into the forest to assist in felling the timber, and in June, 1794, a meeting-house was built near Reuben Chandler's residence, afterwards S. A. Thurlow's. In September Rev. Mr Scott came again, and in October promised the people in writing that he would settle among them. His salary was $3 for each Sabbath's preaching, but nothing for expenses. In 1795, May 1, Rev. Mr Scott arrived with his family, and by a covenant dated April 18, 1796, 98 persons agreed to his support, and gave him a call to settle as pastor. This call, accepted May 28, was on a salary of £65 and the land allowed for the first settled minister. (The land was never obtained.) Mr Scott said : "Know for certainty that I never shall nor will enter any law process against you as a society, or any individual of you, on the strength or bond of that covenant, and I do hereby forever put it out of the power of my heirs, administrators, or assigns to do it while I live or after my death." He was installed July 27; council : Rev. Samuel Eaton of Harpswell, Rev. Tristram Gilman, North Yarmouth, Rev. Alfred Johnson of Freeport.


1804, September 8, the proprietors held a meeting " for building a meeting- house near the centre of the town of Minot." September 27 the town voted " not to build a meeting-house in the centre of the town, and not to build two meeting-houses." November 27 the town consented to the incorporation of a Congregational society ; ayes 54, nays 29. 1805, May 29, the East meeting- house was raised, and July 3, the Centre meeting-house was raised. Mr Scott had always opposed the building of the latter, and it was only after repeated solicitation that he consented to make the prayer, which gave great offense to the proprietors of the house. In July Mr Scott requested a dismission, and




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.