History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Part 27

Author: Merrill, Georgia Drew, ed
Publication date: 1891
Publisher: Boston, W.A. Fergusson & co.
Number of Pages: 1050


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 27


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108


This lodge, though young in years, has a good record, and has many promi- nent citizens on its rolls. It has now (April 15, 1891,) a membership of 165, is prosperous, and owns its portion of Masonic Ilall, which is paid for. During the last Masonic year it has admitted thirteen members, and conferred the third degree on 11 candidates. Regular meetings are held Wednesday evening after the full moon.


King Hiram Chapter, No. 9, R. A. M., Lewiston.1- In pursuance of a petition presented to Timothy Chase, Grand High Priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Maine, signed by Comps. Alonzo Andrews, Thurston Libby, William White, Levi Bates, Albert H. Kelsey, George Moore, Samuel Soule, J. W. Littlefield, Samuel B. Hutchins, and Joseph Covell, a dispensation was granted November 28, 1854, instituting King Hiram Chapter. Alonzo Andrews was appointed Most Excellent High Priest; Thurston Libby, King; and William White, Scribe. At this time but eight chapters held charters in Maine, and but two had been constituted since 1829. These were at Portland, Brunswick, Wiscasset, Gardiner, Saco, Bangor, Belfast, and Rockland. The territorial limits of King Hiram Chapter extended north to Canada, west and south half way to Brunswick and Portland, and east to the jurisdiction of Gardiner.


The first meeting of the new chapter was held December 15, 1854, at the house of Comp. Thurston Libby, in Lewiston, for organization. Comps. Andrews, Libby, White, Bates, Kelsey, Hutchins, and Covell were present, and the organization was perfected with these officers: M. E. Alonzo Andrews, H. P .; Thurston Libby, E. K .; Wm White, E. S .; A. H. Kelsey, Treas .; George Moore, C. H .; Levi Bates, P. S .; S. B. Hutchins, R. A. C .; Joseph Covell, M. 3d V .; Samuel Soule, M. 2d V .; J. W. Litchfield, M. 1st V. The chapter met December 22 at the office of the Bates corporation, where petitions for


1 Chiefly condensed from the history written by George A. Callahan, P. H. P.


231


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


membership were received from Thos C. Upton, Augustus Callahan, George Webb, Robert H. Rose, Jos. P. Gill, and John G. Cook, who were elected. The chapter was incorporated by the legislature March 1, 1855. January 19, 1855, the first meeting was held in the hall of the De Witt House, which was occupied until the one in Journal Block was leased in 1862. At this meeting the first work was done, Thos C. Upton, Augustus Callahan, Geo. Webb, Robert H. Rose, J. Pearson Gill, and John G. Cook being advanced to the degree of M. M. M. January 26 the P. M. degree was conferred, Bros. Reuel Washburn, Uriah Balkam, and Augustus Callahan being present as visitors. February 2 the M. M., P. M., and M. E. M. degrees were conferred, the first time the latter one was worked. February 16 the R. A. degree was first con- ferred, the candidates being Thos C. Upton, Augustus Callahan, Robert H. Rose, J. Pearson Gill, and John G. Cook.


The chapter asked for a charter, and June 15 the chapter was duly con- stituted by the Most Excellent Puissant General Grand High Priest of the General Grand Chapter of the United States, Robert P. Dunlap, under the charter granted May 3. At this meeting the following were elected members : Thomas C. Upton, Augustus Callahan, Robert H. Rose, Joseph P. Gill, George Webb, Geo. L. Drinkwater, Thomas F. Lamb, Robert Blacker, Samuel H. Wilson, Thomas A. D. Fessenden, Jacob Herrick, Wm Skelton, Geo. W. Chase, John G. Cook. These officers were elected : Alonzo Andrews, H. P .; Thurston Libby, K .; Joseph Covell, S .; Joseph P. Gill, C. H .; Augustus Callahan, P. S .; Thomas C. Upton, R. A. C .; S. H. Wilson, M. 3d V .; Robert H. Rose, M. 2d V .; John G. Cook, M. 1st V .; A. H. Kelsey, Treas .; Geo. L. Drinkwater, Sec .; Robert Blacker, Chap .; T. A. D. Fessenden, S. S .; Thomas F. Lamb, J. S .; Geo. Webb, Tyler.


June 6, 1856, the annual convocation was held. The chapter had now exalted 18 companions. During the second year four companions were exalted. At the annual session of the Grand Chapter, May 5, 1857, M. E. Alonzo Andrews was elected Deputy Grand High Priest, Comp. J. P. Gill Grand Captain of the Host, and Comp. Joseph Covell Grand Master of the 3d Vail. In 1857 two valuable companions removed from Lewiston, Comp. Andrews, P. H. P., and C. C. Niebuhr, Sec. At the Grand Chapter in May, 1858, Comp. Joseph Covell was appointed Grand Master of the 3d Vail, and Comp. J. P. Gill Grand Captain of the Host. March 18, 1859, the death of Comp. Wm White was announced, and the committee appointed to draft resolutions were also directed to prepare resolutions on the death of Comp. Alonzo Andrews, to whom was preeminently due the erection of King Hiram Chapter. January 6, 1860, a preamble and resolutions in memory of the late M. E. Robert P. Dunlap was received from Mount Vernon R. A. Chapter of Portland, and appropriate action was taken. The chapter was represented at the Grand Chapter by A. Callahan, J. G. Cook, and I. E. Libby. Comp. Covell was made a member


232


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


of the finance committee, chairman of committee on grievances and appeals, and Grand Master of the 3d Vail. Comp. A. Callahan was appointed on the committee on warrants and dispensations.


October 26, 1860, it was voted to grant the use of the chapter rooms to Ashlar Lodge for six months, free of charge. February 22, 1861, the death of Isaac HI. Weston was announced. At the Grand Chapter Comps. Gill, Libby, and Joseph Covell were present. June 24, 1862, the chapter participated in the Masonic Centennial celebration at Portland. July 22 a dispensation was granted to confer the degrees upon Colonel N. J. Jackson in less time than required by law. October 31 it voted to rent the hall in Journal Block in connection with Ashlar Lodge. January 30, 1863, a committee was appointed to revise the by-laws. May 29 the death of Comp. Alvarez V. Teague was announced. Comps. Gill and Thurston Libby represented the chapter in the Grand Chapter, and Comp. Covell was Grand Master of the 3d Vail and mem- ber of the finance committee. October 23, 1863, it was voted to grant the free use of the hall to Dunlap Council, R. & S. M. December 18 voted to purchase the organ with Ashlar Lodge. January 22, 1864, A. J. Fuller, D. G. H. P., officially visited the chapter and reported :


This chapter is in fine condition and the work was well done; it is well fitted with regalia, the officers appeared perfectly familiar with their several duties, and the revised work is strictly adhered to. This chapter is doing a fine work and making valuable acquisitions to its members. From the known ability of its officers its success is sure.


March 18, 1864, the fees were raised from $26 to $35. In the Grand Chap- ter, Comps. J. P. Gill and H. H. Dickey represented the chapter, while Comp. Covell was one of the grand officers. This year was one of great prosperity ; 14 members were admitted and 18 companions exalted. The finances were placed on a solid basis, which has continued to the present. The total mem- bership is 48. June 24, 1864, 26 members represented the chapter at the Masonic celebration at Livermore Falls. January 13, 1865, voted to pay $15 towards a new altar. At the Grand Chapter convocation Comp. J. P. Gill was Grand R. A. Captain, Comp. HI. H. Dickey Grand Steward, and Comp. Covell clected member of finance committee. The Grand High Priest said in his address : "April 5 I officially visited King Hiram R. A. Chapter, Lewiston. It is in fine condition and the work was well done." This year 26 members were admitted. June 9, 1865, action was taken toward the establishment of a board of trustees or directors for the general business management of all the Masonic bodies in the city. The chapter was represented in the Grand Chapter by Comp. Aug. Callahan, H. P., appointed Grand Master of the 3d Vail pro tem, Comp. H. H. Diekey Grand Steward, and Comp. J. P. Gill, Grand Captain of the Host. This year 13 brothers received the M. M. degrce, 11 passed the


233


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


chair, 14 received and acknowledged M. E. M., and 14 exalted, 15 signed the by-laws, two were dimitted, and 1 deceased.1


July 6, 1866, the chapter donated $100 for the best interest of the Royal Arch Masons in Portland, sufferers of the late fire. At the session of the Grand Chapter, May, 1867, King Hiram Chapter had M. E. Wm J. Burnham, H. P .; H. H. Dickey, K .; A. L. Dresser, proxy for Scribe ; Comp. J. P. Gill was chosen Grand Scribe; Comp. Burnham appointed Grand Chaplain, and Comp. Dickey appointed on Committee on Credentials. The number of members is now 90, 11 being received this year, three dimitted, and two deceased. Petitions being received from Bethel and South Paris, asking recommendations for the creation of R. A. charters at these places, in December, 1867, it was voted to recommend the granting of a dispensation to the petitioners from Bethel. At the yearly session of the Grand Chapter, Wm J. Burnham, T. M. Varney, D. Harden, and Jos. P. Gill, Grand Scribe, repre- sented King Hiram Chapter. J. P. Gill was elected D. G. H. P., and T. M. Varney appointed Grand Steward. The membership is now 102.


Comp. Albert H. Small died July 28, 1868, "a valued and respected officer," and September 28 died Comp. T. A. D. Fessenden, one of the prominent members and a Mason of much influence. At the annual convoca- tion of the Grand Chapter were present: R. E. Joseph P. Gill, D. G. H. P .; M. E. Theodore M. Varney, Grand Steward; Dennison Harden, King; and H. H. Dickey, proxy for Scribe. J. P. Gill was elected Grand High Priest. October 8, 1869, it was decided to place the funds of the chapter in the hands of the Board of Masonic Trustees. January 14, 1872, it was voted to purchase a photograph album and to request each member to furnish his photograph. M. E. J. P. Gill, G. H. P., presided over the Grand Chapter at the annual convocation, where Carlos Nudd represented this chapter. The G. H. P. reports: " King Hiram Chapter adds to its former reputation. Much to the credit of the presiding and all its officers, it can be said that it is in better working condition than ever before." The number of members is 117. During the year 24 petitions for degrees have been received, and one for membership, five petitions for degrees were rejected, 18 were advanced to the degree of M. M., 15 passed the chair, 16 were received as M. E. M., 15 were exalted, two died, and two were dimitted.


November 11, 1870, the chapter granted consent to the formation of Androscoggin Chapter at Canton. February 10, 1871, M. E. Stephen J. Young, G. H. P., visited the chapter officially and witnessed work in the R. A. degree. April 11 the deaths of Comps. Edw. Bisbee and Edw. G. Hawkes were announced. Clothing and paraphernalia of considerable expense were


I Comp. Joseph Covell died at Prince Edward Island, March 7, 1866, while American consul. He was exalted in Jerusalem Chapter at Augusta, about 1850. His zeal as a Royal Arch Mason was unwearied; and, though residing for several years fifty miles from his chapter, he seldom neglected to attend its regular meetings. He was elected High Priest of King Hiram Chapter in 1858.


234


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


provided this year, enabling the degrees to be presented in a manner much superior to previous efforts. The chapter sent to the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter: Carlos Nudd, H. P .; C. A. Coombs, K .; and F. T. Faulkner, S. M. E. Carlos Nudd was appointed G. M. 1st V. The number of members is now 132. Comp. T. B. Rowell removed from Maine early in 1871, and Comp. David Cowan performed the duties of the C. of H. for the year. This year Comp. Thurston Libby, P. H. P., a charter member, died. Number of members, 134. In the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter this chapter had as members Comps. Isaac G. Curtis and Francis T. Faulkner. R. E. D. G. H. P. J. W. Ballou in his report says :


I visited King Hiram Chapter and witnessed the conferring of the Royal Arch degree in a very intelligent and creditable manner by the scribe, acting as high priest. By a combination of circumstances entirely unusual, the high priest had been called away to another state, and the king to a distant part of our own state, leaving the onerous work pertaining to the work and general management of the chapter to the scribe, Comp. Francis T. Faulkner. And while the companions of King Hiram Chapter cannot but deplore the loss of two such valuable officers as the high priest and king, still they may as well congratulate themselves upon their sagacity and good fortune in clecting an officer so eminently fit for the important duties required of him as the present acting high priest.


September 13, 1872, the chapter recommended the organization of Union Chapter at Mechanic Falls. The Grand King, R. E. Henry L. Paine, officially visited the chapter March 14, 1873. He reports witnessing "work in the R. A. degree, excellently well performed." At the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter M. E. F. T. Faulkner was appointed Grand Steward. Number of members, 144. June 13, 1873, thanks were voted to the retiring H. P. Comp. F. T. Faulkner " for the marked interest he has taken in the chapter, and the highly creditable manner in which he has performed the work and duties of the chair." Although residing 12 miles from Lewiston he was present at every convocation except one. December 12 the chapter was officially visited by Horace H. Burbank, G. H. P. Work was done in the R. A. degree. Seventy- one companions were present, representing 12 chapters. In 1874 permission was asked for a chapter at Auburn, which was granted with a recommendation in favor thereof to the Grand Chapter. At the annual convocation of Grand Chapter Comp. G. A. Callahan was appointed G. M. of 1st V. pro tem. Comp. F. T. Faulkner, G. S., was present. This chapter was represented also by S. Stone and F. E. Sleeper. June 12, 1874, there were 140 members in the chapter. January 8, 1875, the chapter was visited officially by M. E. Horace H. Burbank, G. H. P., who reported: " In the presence of 95 members and visitors the officers of King Hiram Chapter exhibited excellent Royal Arch degree work. . .. I am confident that no superior work can be presented in our jurisdiction." This year the chapter was represented by Comps. Geo. A. Callahan, H. P .; A. W. Larrabee, proxy for K .; F. E. Sleeper, S. Comp. F.


235


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


T. Faulkner was elected Grand Scribe, G. A. Callahan appointed Grand Steward, and Comps. R. E. Paine, E. P. Burnham, and G. A. Callahan were appointed on the standing committee on history.


Twenty years' work under the charter expired with the annual convocation, June 11, 1875. Uninterrupted prosperity has marked the whole period. There are now 140 members, a noble hall, well fitted up, a good financial condition, and a harmony and interest in the work unexcelled by any chapter in the state. November 12 the revision and printing of the by-laws was ordered. Comp. F. T. Faulkner, G. S., and A. K. P. Knowlton, H. P., attended the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter. Frank E. Sleeper, K., was representative in 1876 to the Grand Chapter and was made Grand Steward. Comp. F. T. Faulkner, G. S., was in attendance and chosen Grand King. F. E. Sleeper and A. W. Larrabee attended the Grand Chapter in 1877, where Comp. Sleeper was reappointed G. S. During the year two brothers received the M., P., and M. E. M. degrees, three were exalted, one was dimitted, and one died; 139 members. A. Callahan, Wm J. Burnham, Wm D. Pennell, John Given, Geo. A Callahan were appointed a committee on history in 1878. At the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter there were present Comps. F. E. Sleeper and A. W. Larrabee. Comp. Sleeper was elected Grand Scribe. During the year two candidates received all the degrees and two were dimitted; 140 members. The chapter was represented in the Grand Chapter, in 1879, by Comps. H. H. Dickey, C. H. Jumper, L. E. Timberlake. Comp. Sleeper was re-elected G. S.


The first quarter of a century of the chapter under charter expired June 11, 1880, when 143 were in active membership. During the past year three candidates received the degrees, one member died, and one was dimitted. At the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter were present Comps. H. H. Diekey, C. H. Jumper, L. E. Timberlake, and F. E. Sleeper. The annual con- vocation was held June 10, 1881. No work was done during the past year ; two petitions were received for degrees and one for membership; three were dimitted, and one, Augustus Callahan,' died; members, 141. The expense of


1 M. E. Augustus Callahan, P. H. P., died February 16, 1881. He was born in Andover, Mass., April 12, 1815, and resided there until 1847, when he removed to Lewiston. His business was woolen manufacturing, and he was accounted skillful. January 19, 1848, he became a Mason in Tranquil Lodge. He was elected Worshipful Master in December, 1849. He occupied the East until January 21, 1852, to the entire satisfaction of the lodge. Jannary 11, 1854, he was again elected and occupied the East from that time until 1858. He was not a charter member of Ashlar Lodge, being away when it was constituted, but became a member October 6, 1862. He was one of the first candidates in King Hiram Chapter, his petition being received at the first meeting. He was elected High Priest in 1859, 1860, and 1865. During a short residence in Vassalboro he dimitted, and was elected High Priest of Dunlap Chapter, at China, but again became a member of King Hiram Chapter on his return. He was an officer of the chapter from the first election until his death (with the exception of the time when dimitted), being chaplain and chairman of the finance committee at the time of decease. He was among the first members of Dunlap Council, and was Thrice Illustrious Master. He was one of the early members of Lewiston Commandery, Eminent Commander of that body in 1871, and later,


236


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


the chapter in furnishing the Masonic hall, was $700. The chapter was repre- sented in the Grand Chapter by A. W. Larrabee, L. E. Timberlake, E. E. Pomeroy, and R. E. Frank E. Sleeper, D. G. H. P. Annual convocation, June 8, 1882. Seventeen candidates received the degrees in the past year and one was dimitted, making now 158 members. The Grand Chapter this year made Comp. H. E. Morriscy Grand Steward and re-elected F. E. Sleeper Grand High Priest.


The year opened June 8, 1883, with 162 members. During the year M. E. F. E. Sleeper officiated as Grand High Priest with great satisfaction to the fraternity. He accomplished the revision of the ritual and its excellence must be largely attributed to him and his able assistant, Comp. A. W. Larrabee. M. E. F. E. Sleeper, G. H. P., presided at the annual convocation of the Grand Chapter in 1884, and was re-elected ; Comp. A. W. Larrabee was G. C. of H .; Comp. D. B. Stevens was G. M. of 3d Vail ; Comp. Larrabee was appointed Grand Lecturer, and Comp. Callahan Grand Steward. This year died Comp. H. H. Dickey, P. H. P.,2 a most valued member and earnest and faithful worker, whose life and character gave emphasis to Masonic principles, and March 13, 1885, the chapter voted to act in conjunction with Ashlar Lodge in procuring crayon portraits of Comp. Augustus Callahan and Comp. H. H. Dickey, Past High Priests, for Masonic Hall. February 17, 1887, R. E. Henry R. Taylor, D. D. G. H. P., made an official visit. This year died Comps. Samuel E. May, David Cowan, Charles D. Starbird. Deaths in 1888: March 27, Daniel Allen ; August 5, Arthur Sands ; September 3, Jacob B. Ham. Frank E. Severance also died, date not given. June 13, 1890, officers chosen : G. W. Furbush, H. P .; E. K. Smith, K .; W. F. Wood, S .; Wm J. Burnham, Treas .; John F. Putnam, Sec .; A. M. Edwards, C. of H .; H. B. Warner, P. S .; Samuel Hib-


Prelate. He received the Order of the Red Cross of Constantine, May 5, 1875, was a charter member of Eusebius Conclave, and was its presiding officer at his decease. He was a charter member of Lew- iston Lodge of Perfection, holding the highest office in 1879 and 1880. He was a member of the Chapter of Rose Croix, Princes of Jerusalem, and Maine Sovereign Consistory, S. P. R. S. 32º. He was D. D. G. M. in 1859, held various offices and appointments in the Grand Bodies, but always declined high honors. As a ritualist he probably had no superior. His knowledge was comprehensive and exact, and his attainments in Masonic jurisprudence and history were profound and accurate. He was imbued with the whole spirit of Masonry, and his words and actions were governed by that benign influence. Ile was a firm believer in the Christian religion, and a constant attendant npon divine service. Ile was buried with Masonie honors by Ashlar Lodge.


2 Mr Dickey was born in Amherst, N. H., May 14, 1816. He came to Lewiston in 1854, and com- menced business as a top-roll coverer in the basement of the Hill Mill. He afterward occupied a part of the red shop on Cross Canal, and then a floor in Cowan's Mill. In 1869 he erected the shop on the river bank which has since been ocenpied by himself and son William. He was school agent in the village distriet, while Lewiston was a town ; and in 1874 was mayor. He gave dignity to the office and an acceptable administration. He was a member of the Council of the Scottish rite of the 33º of Masonry, and the only Mason in this vicinity who at that time had attained that distinction. Mr Dickey had been Master of Ashlar Lodge, High Priest of King Hiram Chapter, Master of Dunlap Conneil, Eminent Commander of Lewiston Commandery of Knights Templar, Junior Grand Warden and Grand Commander of the Grand Lodge of Maine, and Grand Commander of the Grand Com- mandery of Maine Knights Templar. He died in May, 1884.


237


MASONIC AND ODD FELLOW SOCIETIES.


bert, R. A. C .; H. G. Ripley, M. 3d V .; W. H. Judkins, M. 2d V .; E. F. Scruton, M. 1st V. This year died Nathan W. Dutton, Sullivan C. Andrews, G. Henry Jackson. The number of members April 1, 1891, was 173. The High Priests from organization have been Alonzo Andrews, Thurston Libby, Joseph Covell, Augustus Callahan, J. P. Gill, Augustus Callahan, Wm J. Burnham, T. M. Varney, Carlos Nudd, Francis T. Faulkner, Geo. A. Callahan, A. K. P. Knowlton, Frank E. Sleeper, Henry H. Dickey, H. E. Morrisey, Charles II. Jumper, A. S. Plummer, D. B. Stevens, F. L. Hoyt, Albert Ring, Frank H. Johnson, H. A. Torsey, G. W. Furbush.


Dunlap Council, No. 8, Royal and Select Masters, Lewiston, was instituted October 19, 1863, at Lewiston, Me, by M. I. Timothy J. Murray, Grand Puissant of the Grand Council of R. and S. Masons of the State of Maine, with the following charter members: Joseph Covell, William Atwood, Gordon R. Gardew, Augustus Callahan, H. H. Dickey, Joseph P. Gill, Aurin L. Dresser, John G. Cook, Dorville Libby. The officers appointed at the first organization of the Council were: Augustus Callahan, T. I. Master: II. H. Dickey, R. I. Master; and John G. Cook, I. Master. At the meeting on above mentioned date the degrees were conferred upon three candidates, viz .: Comps. Levi Bates, Oliver H. Maxwell, and David Cowan.


The membership of the Council now (March 16, 1891,) numbers 238. Present officers: Algernon M. Roak, T. I. Master; Geo. A. Callahan, Dept. Master; Lionel O. Brackett, P. C. of Work; Joseph H. Stetson, Treas .; John F. Putnam, Recorder; Henry A. Torsey, C. of Guard; Frank H. Johnson, C. of Council; Samuel Hibbert, Steward; Charles H. Jumper, Sentinel. The following are the living Past Thrice Illustrious Masters: Theodore M. Varney, Timothy B. Rowell, Warren E. Pressey, M. E. D. Bailey, Chas H. Jumper, Frank E. Sleeper, Chas E. Libby, Wm J. Burnham, Albert W. Larrabee, Archie L. Talbot, Albert M. Penley, Albert S. Plummer, Frank L. Hoyt.


Lewiston Commandery, No. 6, Knights Templar was opened under a dispen- sation by Grand Commander Timothy J. Murray, granted December 17, 1864, to Freeman Bradford, H. H. Dickey, S. D. Wakefield, Aurin L. Dresser, John G. Cook, T. M. Varney, Jos. Pearson Gill, A. B. Jones, F. I. Day, Geo. W. Garcelon, Wm J. Burnham, Jos. Covell, M. E. D. Bailey, David Cowan. Sir Henry H. Dickey was appointed Eminent Commander, Sir Joseph P. Gill, Generallissimo, and Sir David Cowan, Captain-General. January 12, 1865, Sir Knight Freeman Bradford was appointed Prelate and Seth D). Wakefield, Recorder. January 19 these appointments were made: Theodore M. Varney, S. W .; Fessenden I. Day, J. W .; Wm J. Burnham, Treas .; Augustus B. Jones, Sw. B .; Aurin L. Dresser, St. B .; M. E. D. Bailey, W .; Robert M. Sykes, C. of G. The commandery was first officially visited by R. E. Timothy J. Murray, Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Maine, April 27. The first election of officers occurred November 30, when were chosen: H. H.


238


HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.


Dickey, E. C .; Wmn J. Burnham, Gen .; Augustus Callahan, C. G .; Freeman Bradford, Prelate ; David Cowan, Treas .; Seth D. Wakefield, Recorder; T. M. Varney, S. W .; Fessenden I. Day, J. W. At this conclave Lewiston Com- mandery was constituted by Sir Moses Dodge, D. G. Commander of the Grand Commandery of Maine, assisted by Sir Knight Chas F. King as Grand Marshal, after which the officers were installed. Sir Knight I. H. Maxwell was appointed St. B. December 28, and Sir Knights A. Callahan and Jos. P. Gill appointed Trustees. July 4, 1866, a special conclave was held, which was visited by a large delegation of Maine Commandery. March 26, 1868, there were 37 members. September 30, 1868, attended the funeral of Sir Knight Thomas A. D. Fessenden. August 24, 1869, the commandery attended the yearly parade and encampment at Cushing's Island. April 7, 1870, the commandery was officially visited by R. E. C. H. McClellan, Grand Commander, and H. H. Dickey, Grand Generallissimo, who installed the officers elect. September 27 the commandery went to Lisbon Falls to aid in constituting Ancient York Lodge. Edw. Bisbee died March 20, 1871. August 7 attended the funeral of P. G. C. Abner Thompson at Brunswick and assisted in escort duty. In the year ending March 26, 1874, 17 members were admitted, making the membership 96. May 28, 1874, accepted an invitation from Tranquil Lodge of Auburn to perform escort duty at the dedication of its new hall June 24. March 23, 1876, 113 members were reported. February 22, 1877, R. E. Seth C. Gordon, Grand Commander, officially visited the commandery and complimented it highly, and stated that he had never visited a command- ery before where the 17 officers were all present and in their places. April 26 the retiring commander, Sir Francis T. Faulkner, was presented with an elegant gold Past Eminent Commander's jewel. April 18 an official visit was made by R. E. John Bird, Grand C. G. G. Commander of Maine, who said that the manner in which the work was done gave him great pleasure, and that it had been done as nearly correct as by any commandery he had visited. Forty-eight Knights marched out of Masonic Hall Memorial Day, 1878, in a pouring rain to do escort duty for the Grand Army. July 4 the commandery did escort duty for the Lewiston City Government. April 10, 1879, R. E. J. H. Drummond made an official visit, and spoke words of praise and encouragement. May 22 accepted an invitation from Belfast Freemasons to assist in the dedication of their new hall July 4. One hundred and thirty- one members reported March 25, 1880. September 26, 1880, attended the memorial services of President Garfield, at City Hall. R. E. Edward P. Burnham, Grand Commander of Maine, and a large delegation from Dunlap Commandery, visited the commandery December 8, 1881.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.