USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 103
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
833
TOWN OF TURNER.
accommodate the multitude. The order of exercises in the great tent was : Centennial March, by Norway Band; prayer by Rev. E. Martin ; singing by chorus of 100 voices, Albert E. Bradford conductor; address of welcome by Dr J. T. Cushing; historical address by Rev. W. R. French, D.D .; singing ; poem by Mrs Caroline W. D. Rich, of Auburn, granddaughter of Joseph Leavitt, one of the first settlers; dinner in a large tent on the grounds; address by Hon. Washington Gilbert, of Bath; music; address by Hon. George A. Wilson, of South Paris; music; short speeches by residents, former citizens, and guests; (among these were Hon. E. B. Washburn; ex-Governor Merrill, of Iowa; Dr Pearl Martin, of Medford, Mass .; Clarence Hale, Esq., of Portland; Col F. M. Drew, of Lewiston; ex-Governor Sidney Perham, of Paris; Dr Kendall Newhall, of Rhode Island; Solon Chase; Daniel Lara, of Auburn; Hon. Rufus Prince;) singing; music.
PHYSICIANS. - Dr Daniel Child was the first one in town. He came from Woodstock, Conn., in 1781, settled on Lower street, and was a very skillful physician. He died in 1802. Dr Luther Cary was born in Bridgewater, Mass., in 1761. He served his country for four years, enlisting at the age of 14. He then became a physician, and came to Turner in 1798, and settled near the south end of Lower street. He was a man of high character and a successful practitioner. He had a large family. One son, Hugh, lived and died on the home farm. Dr Cary was several times president of the Medical Society of Maine, in 1805 was appointed judge of the Court of Common Pleas for the county of Oxford, and he was made president of Oxford County Tem- perance Society at its organization in 1829. He died in 1848 of old age. Dr Timothy Howe, born in Hillsborough, N. H., in 1778, moved into Turner about 1804. He subsequently removed to Brettun's Mills, Livermore, but returned to Turner, where he died in August, 1848. He was a man of fine education, and wrote a history of Turner (unpublished), from which we have gleaned much of value. Dr Philip Bradford was born at Turner Centre, July 15, 1789. After attending the town schools, he studied at Hebron Academy, then attended lectures in the medical department of Dartmouth College, where he received his M.D. He located in Turner. He was a successful practitioner, and practiced also in Greene and Leeds, and other towns. He enjoyed the confidence of the public, both as a man and physician. He died June 24, 1863. Dr Henry D. Irish was born in Buckfield in 1821. He studied medicine, and located at Turner Village, December, 1847. He was energetic, persevering, and persistent in a remarkable degree. He was one of the leading physicians at the time of his death, January 16, 1871. Dr H. L. Irish, his son, commenced practice in the village in March, 1875. He was graduated from a medical school in New York City, and is a successful practitioner. Dr William H. Jewett located in Turner Village, and was a resident physician through life, except a term of service as surgeon in the Civil War. He was a faithful
834
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
physician. He died August 26, 1879. Dr Elbridge G. Edgecomb, son of Ben- jamin and Sarah Edgecomb, was born in Livermore, August 17, 1814. He was graduated at the medical department of Bowdoin College, and received his degree in 1845. He practiced successfully in Readfield and Foxcroft, and located in Turner in 1866, where for a quarter of a century he has attended to the ardnous duties of his profession. Dr Richmond Bradford opened an office here, but soon removed to Auburn. Dr Roscoe Smith, a native of Peru, was educated at Maine State College and Bates College. He attended medical lectures at Brunswick and Harvard. He located in Turner in 1871, and by attention to his professional duties soon acquired a large business. He m. Ellen, daughter of Hon. Reuel Washburn. He owns and conducts a stock farm, and served his country in the Rebellion. He is a temperance worker, a member of the G. A. R., and a Mason, and is the present representative from Turner- Livermore district. Dr John T. Cushing, son of Charles and Sarah R. Cushing, was born in Turner, September 30, 1831. He attended college at Kent's Hill, studied medicine at the University of Michigan, and in 1864 received his M.D. from the University of Iowa, Keokuk, Iowa, and was principal of an academy in Georgia for four years. He married Hortense, daughter of James Sullivan Hale. He was a surgeon during the Civil War, and at its close located in Huron, Ohio, as a physician. He served on the school board and in the city council, and was mayor of Huron for several years. He returned to Turner in 1881, and has represented his town in the legislature, and held other offices of trust. He was appointed special agent of the United States to collect statistics of recorded indebtedness in Maine for the eleventh census, and in November, 1890, was appointed to an executive office in the division of mines and mining in the U. S. census bureau. He is a Republican in politics. He is a skillful physician and surgeon, and has been vice-president of Erie County Medical Society, of Ohio, and a member of Ohio State Medical Society, and Androscoggin County Medical Society. Oliver A. Sprague, M.D., son of Virgil H. and Julia R. Sprague, was born in Greene, January 6, 1864. He acquired his medical education at Maine Medical School, and Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, where he received his degree, March 11, 1889. After some practical experience in New York City hospitals, he returned to Greene, and September 1, 1889, located in Turner, and is enjoying a good practice.
Lawyers. - Ezekiel Whitman came in 1799. William K. Porter, of Bath, practiced here 16 years, dying in 1834. He was succeeded by Charles Andrews, Timothy Ludden, Mandeville T. Ludden, and Barzilla Streeter, who were here for a few years. The present lawyer is E. V. Stevens. (See Bench and Bar.)
Governor William Bradford was born in Yorkshire, England, March, 1589, and died May 9, 1657, in Plymouth, Mass., whither he had come in 1620 in the " Mayflower." He was governor of Plymouth Colony 31 years. His oldest son by his second wife, Mrs Alice Southworth, was William, who
835
TOWN OF TURNER.
was deputy-governor. William's third wife was the widow of Rev. John Holmes. Their son Ephraim m. Elizabeth Brewster, of Duxbury. Of their children, Ezekiel (born in Kingston, 1728, died in 1816), married Betsey Chandler (born in Duxbury, 1728, died in Turner, 1811), and came to Turner about 1782. Six of his sons were also settlers here. His children were Ephraim, m. Judith Moulton; William, m. Asenath Mason in 1776, lived on the Calvin McKenney farm ; children, William and Asa. William, Jr, m. Chloe Phillips. Their married life continued over half a century. He was a great lover of music, a strong temperance advocate, and a liberal supporter of the gospel. He died in March, 1860, aged 83. His only son, Gen. Phillips Brad- ford, was born September 28, 1816, and died in Auburn, July 24, 1889. He m. Mary B. Bird, of Auburn ; their children were Rose (Mrs A. S. Daggett) and Commander Royal B. Bradford, U. S. N., who took a four years' course at the Naval Academy, was an honor man in his class, and now commands the U. S. S. Bennington. It was mainly through his efforts and those of Mellen Bray, Esq., of Boston, that a fine monument was erected in the Upper street burying-ground to the memory of Ezekiel Bradford and his wife. Gen. Brad- ford acquired the rank of brigadier-general in the militia. He cultivated one of the finest and largest farms in town. He was conversant with town affairs, represented Turner in the legislature in 1866 and 1867, was a Mason for many years ; Deborah m. Barnabas Winslow ; Jesse m. Judith Weston, and erected a large house and a lumber and flour mill at Turner Centre ; Rebecca m. William True ; Chandler m. Sarah French. Their oldest son, Benjamin, settled in Livermore as a physician. Another son, "Major" Seth, lived on the river road and has descendants1; Ezekiel m. Mary House, and settled at the north end of Upper street. His daughter Betsey m. 2d, Dr Philip Bradford, Sarah m. Royal Whitman, Nancy m. W. B. Bray ; Martin m. Prudence Dillingham. He had a farm of 500 acres. Among his sons were Martin, Freeman, and Richmond ; Philip mn. Polly Bonney ; Betsey m. Daniel Briggs, of Minot.
Philip C. Bradford, son of Dr Philip Bradford and a great-grandson of Ezekiel Bradford, was born on Elmbrook Farm, where he now resides. At the age of 20 he went to Winthrop. He was in trade several years. For 15 years he was connected with the Winthrop Mills Company as stockholder, director, and agent ; for 20 years he was a director in the National Bank of Winthrop; was a member of the legislature of 1862 and 1863. After nearly 40 years' absence, in 1886 he returned to his old home in Turner. He is a Universalist in his religious preferences and a Democrat in his political affiliations.
William B. Bradford, son of Jesse and Celia (Whitman) Bradford, of Turner, is a descendant of Gov. Bradford. His great-grandfather Jesse and grandfather Dura were natives of Massachusetts. Capt. Dura Bradford was
1 Six of the daughters m. prominent men: Justus Conant, Aaron Dillingham, Luther Bailey, and Horace Cary, of Turner; Elisha Stetson, of Auburn; and Reuel Toner, of Sweden.
836
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
captain of the Turner Artillery in 1812. Mr Bradford deals in general mer- chandise and has been in trade many years in the store formerly occupied by his father. He is a Congregationalist in his religious views, a Republican politically, and has been town treasurer three years. He is a member of Blake Lodge, I. O. O. F., and now P. N. G .; also a member of Nezinscot Lodge, F. & A. M.
Major-General Alden Blossom, son of Sylvanus and Martha (Alden) Blos- som, was born in Bridgewater, July 1, 1776. He came to Turner in 1800, where he married Lydia D., daughter of Moses Stevens, in 1803. They had a large family of children ; a son, George W., occupies the homestead on Upper street. Gen. Blossom was a useful man in the community. He was a trader, kept tavern, was postmaster for 25 years; was first a Whig, later a Democrat ; was high sheriff for eight years of Oxford county ; was interested in matters tending to further the prosperity of the town; a prominent Free Mason and a Congregationalist. He died in 1863. Family tradition says that he received 13 commissions from governors of Massachusetts and Maine. His daughter, Narcissa, married Daniel, son of Dan and Deborah (Jones) Pratt, of Taunton, who settled in Turner in 1799. Dan Pratt served in the Revolution. The surviving children of Daniel and Narcissa (Blossom) Pratt are Sarah (Mrs E. M. Leavitt, of Auburn), Susan (Mrs M. W. Turner), and Judson A., the only descendant of Dan Pratt living in Turner.
David Hale came early from Connecticut and purchased and settled on one of the original school lots of the town, which he purchased in 1803 for $1,100. His wife was a Kingsbury and a devout member of the Congregational church. They had two sons, Dr David and James S., and three daughters, all born in Connecticut. Dr David Hale settled at Livermore Falls, where he practiced medicine until his death. He has a son living in Iowa, and his granddaughter lives on his homestead. James Sullivan Hale inherited the lands of his father and added largely to them during his active and industrious life, and brought the whole into fine condition. He was a man universally esteemed, bore the title of "Squire," and was active in Congregational church circles. He died in December, 1880, and his wife (Betsey, daughter of John Staples) in Decem- ber, 1881. They had five children: Eugene, Hortense (Mrs J. T. Cushing), Frederick (dec.), Augusta (Mrs George Gifford), Clarence.
Hon. Eugene Hale was born in 1836, received the educational advantages of the schools of Turner and Hebron Academy, studied law with Howard & Strout in Portland, where he was admitted to the bar. When he was 21 he began the practice of law in Orland, but being soon offered a position as partner of a prominent lawyer of Ellsworth, he removed thither and became the junior partner of the firm of Robinson & Hale. Mr Robinson soon died, and Mr Hale succeeded to his large practice, and from that time has had a law office in Ellsworth. He has been county attorney of Hancock county several
837
TOWN OF TURNER.
years, member of the lower house of the state legislature several terms, member of the national House of Representatives for ten years, was elected U. S. senator in 1881, re-elected in 1887, and now holds the office. He married a daughter of Hon. Zach. Chandler, of Michigan, and has three sons.
Hon. Job Prince was born in Buckfield in March, 1795. He was educated at the public schools and at Hebron Academy. He began life on a farm in Turner in March, 1819. His principal business was farming. In the War of 1812 he served a short campaign in the Mass. militia. In May, 1818, was commissioned captain of militia; major, November, 1820; aid and orderly officer of the sixth division with the rank of major, February, 1822. As evidence of the estimation in which he was held by his fellow-citizens it may be stated that he served them acceptably in all the principal town offices; was for many years a trustee and treasurer of the ministerial and grammar school funds of town ; trustee of the county and state agricultural societies ; member of both branches of the legislature and executive council; president of the state senate in 1839; county commissioner and judge of probate; assistant assessor of internal revenue; justice of the peace and dedimus justice from 1832, and for 37 years justice of the quorum throughout the state. He was the first vice-president of Oxford County Agricultural Society in 1842-3-4, and its president in 1845-6. He was resorted to for surveying land, drawing deeds and bonds, and other legal instruments, held justice courts for the trial of many causes, acted as claim agent in procuring 42 Revolutionary pensions and 347 land-warrants, and administered on 91 estates. A record of a more useful life it would be hard to find. He died May 1, 1875.
Hon. Rufus Prince, son of Hon. Job Prince, was born July 11, 1825, and died March 27, 1891. He was educated at the district school and Westbrook Academy. He was selectman, member of the school committee, and town moderator of Turner, a county commissioner of Androscoggin county for two terms, county treasurer of Androscoggin, and served upon commissions and appointments from probate and insolvency courts, where he did almost as much business as many attorneys at law. In 1865 he was a member of Governor Cony's council. In 1866-67-68 he was a member of the state board of agriculture. In 1872 he represented Turner in the legislature, and in 1878-79 was a member of the state senate. From 1867 to 1880 he was a member of the board of inspectors of prisons and jails. For nearly 15 years he was trustee and president of the Androscoggin County Agricultural Society. He assisted to the development of that society until the beginning of its joint exhibition with the Maine State Agricultural Society. In 1873 he was elected president of the Maine State Agricultural Society, and again in 1874-75-76. He was elected president of the Association in 1877. He was again elected in 1879 and re-elected each year until his death. In 1889 he was elected Worthy Master of the Maine State Grange. For six years he had been lecturer
838
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
of the Turner Grange, and had also been master of that Grange. He was a strong temperance man, a devoted member of the Universalist church, presi- dent of the Maine State Universalist Convention for three years, and president of the Maine Universalist Sabbath School Convention for two years. His character was unimpeachable, for it was full of strong points upon a Christian side. He had a peculiarly agreeable manner and a soft and pleasant voice. No one ever approached him without receiving a welcome, and no one ever left him without appreciating the great kindness and patience of the man. Nobody appreciated or admired him more than the men who knew him best. He had an immense number of friends among the plain people of the state, and had he lived would have been a formidable candidate for the Republican nomination for governor at the next state convention.
Gen. Philo Clark was born in Minot, July 8, 1804, and died June 20, 1884. He came to Turner in 1817, and in 1825 succeeded his father in trade for many years. He was for a long time deputy sheriff of Oxford county, once sheriff, and in 1845-50 state senator. He was vice-president of Oxford County Agricultural Society in 1848-9, and its president in 1850. For many years he was unanimously chosen moderator at town meetings, and held many town offices. A strong Democrat, he was a standing delegate to county, district, state, and national conventions. He acquired his title of general in the militia, and made a splendid officer, having a grand physique, a fine military bearing, and a powerful voice. He was a Mason for 58 years.
Solon Chase is a native of Turner. His father, Isaac Chase, came to Turner from Standish about 70 years ago, giving his name to Chase's Mills. His wife was Eunice, daughter of Rev. Nathaniel Chase, of Buckfield. The life of their son, Solon (born January 14, 1823,), was uneventful until he was about 50 years old, when "he got the 'Greenback ' religion and felt a call to preach." For the next 10 years he was a prominent figure in the political world, "stumping" nearly every state in the Union, and "Solon and them steers" were household words with thousands who had never listened to his rough and ready wit and original sayings. He was nominated in 1876 as member of Congress for the Second District. 520 votes only were cast for his party. At the next Congressional election he received 9,000 votes. He was also a popular editor of Greenback newspapers. When the Greenback agitation subsided, Mr Chase returned to his farm, and its management has since divided his time with his duties as postmaster.
Leonard Swett, Esq., was born in Turner, August 11, 1825, served in the Mexican War after graduating at Waterville College, and in 1848 became a lawyer in Illinois, where he and Abraham Lincoln formed a strong mutual affection. When Mr Lincoln became President, Mr Swett was given charge of many important causes for the government. He was one of the most eloquent men of the Northwest, and in his practice defended 20 persons charged with
839
TOWN OF TURNER.
murder, securing the acquittal of 19. He delivered the oration at the unveiling of the statue of Lincoln in Chicago in 1887. He died in 1889.
Joseph Henry Hooper, son of Jacob and Deliverance Hooper, of Marble- head, Mass., was born in Augusta. Mr Hooper was a partner in the firm of Walter Corey & Co., of Portland, Me, for 18 years, and afterwards a member of the firm of E. A. Hooper & Co., of Boston, Mass. He married, August 14, 1854, Miss Clarinda Morton Lindsey, of Turner, a granddaughter of Isaiah Leavitt, one of the earliest settlers of the town, and the farm on which Mr Hooper passed most of the last six years of his life was a part of the original Leavitt farm, which formerly extended from the hill to the river, and was first occupied by Isaiah's eldest son, Alvin Leavitt. Mr Hooper died May 29, 1889. He was a member of Turner Grange, a Republican in his politics, and a Universalist in religion.
Walter B. Beals was born in Turner, December 22, 1856. He is a son of Leonard M. Beals, who was born in Leeds, August 1, 1831. His maternal grandparents, Martin Leonard, born March 14, 1778, and his wife Hannah Stetson, born April 5, 1784, were among the early settlers from Bridgewater, Mass. Martin Leonard was engaged in trade with Alden Blossom at one time. Hle moved from Turner to Leeds 78 years ago. Laura (Bradford) Beals, mother of W. B. Beals, was born in Turner, and is a daughter of Asa Brad- ford, and a lineal descendant of Gov. William Bradford, through his great- grandson, Ezekiel. In politics Mr Beals has always been a Republican. In religion he is a Universalist. He is a miller and dealer in flour, grain, and feed. He was town agent for eight years ; chairman of Republican town committee six years ; collector of taxes. In 1885 he was appointed by Gov. Bodwell, county commissioner for Androscoggin county, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Henry Bonney, and elected to the same office in September, 1888, for the term of six years. He is a charter member of Blake Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 110, its first recording secretary, and later its presiding officer. He is a member of Turner Grange, P. of H., a charter member of Major Leavitt Lodge, No. 74, Knights of Pythias, and its Master of Exchequer.
840
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.
HON. JESSE DREW.
T HE Drew (Drewe) family of England descend from an early noble Norman, tracing the line through centuries. Members of the family accompanied William the Conqueror to England, participated in the memorable battle of Hastings (1060), and were granted lands in Devon, Here- ford, and elsewhere, enrolled in the Doomsday Book. According to a preamble to the Drew pedigree, given by the King of Arms, "The ancient and knightly family of Drew of Devonshire are lineal descendants from Richard, Duke of Normandy, grandfather of William the Conqueror. (Descendants of this line are now residents at Drewscliffe, Devon; a younger branch was transplanted to Ireland.) On the escutcheon is an ermined lion passant gules, langued and armed. The quarterings show intermarriages with the Cliffords and other noble families. Crest : a bull's head erased sable ; in his mouth three ears of wheat, or. Motto: Drago ; nomen et virtas arma dedit." [Editor.]
Hon. Jesse Drew, son of Stephen and Anna (Bisbee) Drew, and descendant of John Drew, the emigrant, of Plymouth in 1660 (who was son of William and grandson of Sir Edward Drew of England), was born in Turner, September 21, 1808, and died in Lewiston, August 31, 1890. His father bought in 1803 a part of lot 224, ministerial lands. His early life was passed in Turner. He married (1st) Hannah T. Phillips, who died August 27, 1852. Children : Hannah G. (died young); Franklin M.1 (m. January 2, 1862, Araminta B., daughter of Gen. Merrill Woodman, of Naples, a lady prominent in church and benevolent works) ; Delphina M. (dec.); Ann P. (Mrs Robert II. Perkins) (dec.) ; George E. (m. Edna Flint). Mr Drew married (2) Clara B., daughter of Gen. Joel Wellington, of Monticello. She died October 27, 1867. Children : Gertrude H. (dec.) ; Morrill N. (county attorney of Aroostook county four years, and now member of the Maine House of Representatives). Mr Drew was a Democrat until the Republican party was organized. He was deputy sheriff and jailor of Oxford county many years and active in affairs. About 1853 he removed to Aroostook county, engaged in trade at Caribou, and dis- played the same energy in this new field. His services were called for in shaping the political character of the county, and he was efficient all through the Civil War in enlisting and caring for soldiers. In 1865 he was appointed collector of customs at Fort Fairfield for the Aroostook district and displayed high ability in the conduct of the office, which he held for 16 years. He was a prominent citizen of the state as well as of Eastern Maine, served in the
1 See page 330.
841
TOWN OF TURNER.
legislature, and probably no man in Maine had a wider acquaintance with prominent men. In religion he was a Universalist, but his friendliness extended to all who loved the right, and in social life he was the soul of kind- liness and honor. He was loyal to his trusts, his country, and his God, and his extended circle of friends will long remember his pure nature, his remark- able knowledge of men and events, his quaint humor, his keen and alert sagacity, and his warm friendships. Judge Whitehouse writes of him: " He has been a conspicuous figure in the history of the state; I never knew one of greater sagacity. He has been a successful man, and an honest, kindly, good man." Chief-Justice Peters says: "He was a lovable man, full of goodness and sympathy for many friends. I shall miss him in my mind for long time to come, and could never forget him and his many personal kindnesses."
842
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
LIVERMORE.
CHAPTER LII.
Situation -Soil -Incorporation - First Meeting and Names of Proprietors - Extracts from Proprietors' Records- Something Concerning the Earliest Settlers - Early Bound- aries - What Paul Coffin Writes of the People-Other Settlers, Etc.
S ITUATED between the hills of Oxford and the rolling lands of Kennebec, Livermore partakes of the characteristics of both. It has high hills, Hamlin's (or Mount Sier), Fuller's, and Waters' or Lovewell's, from which extensive and beautiful views are obtained, and, without being rough, is picturesque. It was at first heavily wooded with pine, hemlock,-maple, beech, birch, and oak. The original growth has been cut off; but the area of second growth is increasing. There are many noble elms. While in portions the land is rocky, there are sections quite free from stones, and the soil is a sandy loam, as in the valley of the Androscoggin and near the village. The river is broken by falls or rapids in three places, near the line of Jay, at Roccomeka, and at the Rips in "Tollawalla." It has several fertile and beautiful islands. At Strickland's ferry is a view of surpassing beauty. The soil is generally strong and productive, and there is scarcely an acre of waste land. Requiring more labor than the valleys of Kennebec and Penobscot, it yields equal returns. Apples and dairy products are the more noticeable sources of income, while other crops average with other towns. There are four ponds: Round and Long in the northerly part, separated by a few rods only ; Bartlett's, near the centre, and Brettun's in the southwest part. There are several streams; two furnish a fair supply of water in ordinary seasons for grist and saw mills, and (in their day) furnished it for carding and clothing mills. There are excellent powers on the Androscoggin river, one at Livermore Falls, and another a short distance above. Livermore is 20 miles north of Lewiston, 25 west of Augusta, and for some time after its settlement bore the name Port Royal, and, for a brief space, Liverton. Livermore is surrounded: east by East Livermore and Leeds, south by Leeds and Turner, west and north by Oxford and Franklin counties. At incorporation, February 28, 1798, there was about 400 population; in 1800 there was 863; in 1810, 1,560; in 1820, 2,174; in 1830, 2,445; in 1840, 2,745. For population and valuation since, see page 18.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.