USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 79
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
The Maine Benefit Association was incorporated in June, 1884, under the general law of Maine providing for the organization of charitable and benevo- lent institutions. A question arising as to whether an insurance company could legally organize under this law, the legislature of 1884-5 was asked to grant a charter to the company, which, after most bitter and prolonged opposi- tion on the part of the representatives of the established system, was done, and the act was approved by the governor, March 5, 1885. The company immediately organized and commenced active business in April, 1885. Except- ing the fraternal orders this association was the pioneer in co-operative
647
CITY OF AUBURN.
insurance in Maine, the laws never before recognizing any system of insurance save that conducted on the so-called old line plan. The people of Maine endorsed the new company by giving it a membership of more than 6,000 in five years, and within that time the association paid to the widows and orphans of deceased members more than $300,000. 1,000 certificates were written in 1890, representing insurance of $1,962,000. Milton F. Ricker has been manager from the first. E. F. Packard, the first president, was soon succeeded by Hon. Geo. C. Wing. Wallace H. White is vice-president; N. W. Harris, treasurer; Wallace K. Oakes, M.D., medical director; Geo. C. Wing, A. R. Savage, S. M. Carter, executive committee. The first secretary, S. A. Lowell, resigned in 1890, and was succeeded by N. W. Harris.
Auburn Loan and Building Association was organized June, 1887, with these officers: president, A. R. Savage; vice-president, L. W. Haskell; secretary, Geo. G. Gifford; treasurer, M. B. Watson; attorney, J. W. Mitchell; directors, A. R. Savage, Ara Cushman, Geo. W. Curtis, L. W. Haskell, Geo. W. Bumpus, H. B. Sawyer, Geo. G. Gifford, W. A. Robinson, A. M. Penley. Upon resignation of directors Sawyer and Robinson, W. W. Stetson and C. A. Jordan were chosen in their place. Loan and building associations in Maine are confined to investments in real estate. This associa- tion has assisted its members in building over 80 dwellings, purchasing houses and other real estate, has now an accumulated capital of $94,410.83, and, after four years of business, will have $100,000 assets.
Androscoggin Land Association, capital stock, $50,000, was organized in 1887, with A. R. Savage, president; W. W. Stetson, vice-president ; George G. Gifford, clerk; A. M. Penley, treasurer; A. M. Penley, John T. Spooner, O. N. Leavitt, A. R. Savage, W. W. Stetson, A. M. Tuttle, G. G. Gifford, directors. W. W. Stetson is president.
Lake Auburn Fish Protective Association, organized August 25, 1890, char- tered and reorganized as a corporation in 1891, was the conception of George G. Gifford, and is the pioneer organization of this character in Maine. A weir and house on Townsend brook, and a hatching house at East Auburn, with a hatching capacity of 750,000, were built in 1890; 400,000 trout were hatched and placed in the lake and tributaries, with 30,000 salmon donated by the state. Henry H. Hanson, president; George G. Gifford, clerk; George McCann, treasurer.
The Auburn Aqueduct Company is the outgrowth of a little enterprise started years ago by F. M. Jordan. The first reservoir was a spring near Edward Little High School and it was alike reservoir and fountain-head. Wooden pipes were laid to a few houses and the water was used with satisfac- tion. Later, others desired this supply and the source was changed to Auburn Heights, where abundant springs were found. As Auburn increased in population, more water was needed, and the company changed the source of
648
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
supply to the brook near the city farm, where a dam was built and water carried by iron pipes. The company purchased the right to enter Lake Auburn from the Franklin Company for $5,000; the charter obtained from the legislature contained a provision that the city could buy the plant in ten years by payment of its cost and 10 per cent. on the investment. The time passed and the city lost its opportunity of purchase. At this time Auburn exempted the company from taxation in consideration of water furnished for fire and other purposes. However the first hydrants for fire purposes were put in by the Aqueduct Company voluntarily ; one near Roak Block and another on Court street. A new contract was made in 1883, whereby the company was to enlarge its facilities (among other things to lay a new main to the pumping station on Goff Hill from Turner street, to be 12 inches in diameter, and pass through Turner, Union, and Court streets), and allow the city the use of water at all times. In payment the City of Auburn Water Loan Bonds were issued June 1, 1883, to run 15 years at four per cent., and the contract bound both sides for fifty years. Extensive work and improvements have been done to keep the supply of water adequate to the growth of the city. A 12-inch leading main extends 3,200 feet from Lake Auburn to the poor farm, where it branches into two mains running to the city; one of 12 and another of 10 inches diameter. It is computed from actual tests made by competent engineers in 1888 that by these mains 2,333,000 gallons per day can be delivered to the city. The gravity pressure from the lake is 118 feet at the corner of Court and Main streets, and 71} feet at the Cushman shoe factory. The pressure from the reservoir at the corner of Court and Main streets is 238 feet and at the Cushman shoe factory is 191 feet.
The Little Androscoggin Water-Power Company owns Barker mill and was organized in 1870. The first step was the purchase of 300 acres of land lying on the Little Androscoggin, from its mouth a mile upward on both banks, thus securing ownership and control of the water-power with its fall of 80 feet and capacity of 2,000 horse-power. The second step, taken in 1872, was to cut off the timber and wood and build the dam which furnishes power to Barker mill. This mill was built in 1874 and the company commenced the manufacture of fine shirtings and sheetings, which it has since continued. The original capital stock was $400,000, and the property, consisting of land, houses, canal, dams, gas-works, mill, and machinery, cost $700,000. In 1888 there was a reduction of the stock to $340,000, which was made to cover the entire property, and left the company free of construction debt. In 1888 the company built a stone dam on the upper fall and leased it to the Lewiston and Auburn Electric Light Company for 40 years. The company also furnishes water-power for Hutchins's factory, Parsons's mill, Whitman's agricultural works, Auburn foundry, Auburn pump factory, F. R. Conant's box factory, and other industries. The company employs 275 hands, has 21,776 spindles,
649
CITY OF AUBURN.
and 432 looms, uses 2,400 bales of cotton annually, and produces 3,600,000 yards of 40-inch sheetings. The board of directors now consists of A. M. Pulsifer, W. W. Bolster, R. Wesley Dunn, S. D. Bailey, Elias Milliken, Joseph E. Briggs, S. M. Milliken. President, W. W. Bolster; treasurer and clerk, A. M. Pulsifer ; agent, William Hayes.1
The Lewiston and Auburn Electric Light Company was organized February 21, 1884, for lighting houses, stores, and streets, and furnishing power for machinery. The first officers were George C. Wing, president; F. W. Parker, treasurer ; George C. Wing, H. N. Wagg, F. A. Sawyer, N. I. Jordan, A. R. Savage, directors. The capital stock is $180,000. Present officers: A. R. Savage, president ; Daniel Briggs, treasurer; N. I. Jordan, clerk ; George C. Wing, A. R. Savage, F. M. Jordan, L. S. Ruggles, D. J. Callahan, A. E. Frost, and N. I. Jordan, directors ; F. E. Bisbee, general superintendent. The works are situated on the Little Androscoggin river. About 500 horse-power is used at the works, and in addition to this is employed 100 horse-power on the cross canal, Lewiston. The company furnishes lights for the streets of Auburn, 100 are lights in stores, and nearly 4,000 incandescent lights in stores and resi- dences. Its motors are in satisfactory operation in numerous business houses.
The American Light and Power Company, E. W. Gross, treasurer and man- ager, uses the wooden dam on the Little Androscoggin river near Littlefield's tavern, to supply electric power and light. Estimated power, 1,000 horse- power. The company has 40 miles of wire for lighting and power, five are dynamos, and Brush alternator, capacity 1,000 lights and two 250-horse-power turbine wheels, run five motors, two ten-horse-power motors and one six-horse- power. It has 300 arc and 500 incandescent lights in Lewiston and Auburn.
PHYSICIANS. Those now in practice are J. W. Beede, B. F. Sturgis, A. M. Peables, W. K. Oakes, S. E. Wentworth, C. E. Williams, James Blaisdell (West Auburn), C. E. Philoon, G. B. Andrews, E. S. Coan, allopaths; Mary Bates Stevens, A. Salls, H. C. Hallowell, homœopaths ; D. N. Skinner, eye and ear. Beside those hereafter mentioned A. D. Edgecomb was in practice from 1860 to 1874, R. L. Harlow 1867 to 1885, W. C. Hall 1873 to 1876, Henry Reynolds 1874 to 1882, G. L. Peaslee 1874 to 1884, E. C. Heath (hom.) 1875 to 1883, John H. Blake at North Auburn for 30 years from 1849, C. K. Packard was at West Auburn from 1867 to 1876, and P. Bridgham from 1879 to 1882, and others for brief periods. Dr C. E. Philoon has been in practice since 1885.
Richard Bradford, M.D., a native of Turner and a graduate of Bowdoin in the famous class of 1825, took the degree of M.D. in 1829, commenced practice
1 William Hayes, son of William and Hannah Patterson Boynton Hayes, agent of Barker mill, was born in Lewiston in 1846, is a member of the G. A. R., a Republican in politics, a Congregationalist in religion, and a member of the Sixth Street church. He married Anna W. Ham, May 27, 1876. Their children are Edith H., William B., Mabel A. Mr Hayes has served for 35 years in all the different positions of cotton mill and office, and has been agent of Barker mill since 1879.
650
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
in Turner, and came to Auburn in 1835. In 1845 he relinquished regular practice for homeopathy, which he followed during life. Dr Bradford had a large business, and at the time of his death was the oldest physician in the county, also one of the best linguists. He was a trustee of Lewiston Falls Academy for many years, a deacon and treasurer of the Congregational church, and a devoted Christian. He died December 21, 1875, aged 73 years.
Silvester Oakes, M.D., was born in Temple in 1821, and was educated at Bowdoin, Harvard, and Dartmouth medical schools. After coming to Auburn in 1846, he took a high place in the medical profession, and served several years as trustee of Maine General Hospital. In 1855 and 1885 he was representa- tive; from 1861 to 1866, postmaster. He was a strong Republican. He served in the city council, and refused the nomination of mayor in 1873. The Lewiston Journal said at his death, March 30, 1887: "Dr Oakes was one of the most highly esteemed men of the two cities. He lived a pure, generous life, was public spirited and zealous in good works. He was an active member of the High Street Congregational church. A grand old man has gone."
Wallace Kilbourne Oakes, M.D., son of Dr Silvester and H. Eliza Oakes, was born in Auburn, November 6, 1850. He was graduated at Bowdoin in 1870, receiving his degree of A.B. in 1870, and of A.M. in 1874. He acquired his medical title at Columbia College, New York City, in 1873. He served as Interne at Bellevue Hospital in 1873 and 1874, and became a physician in Auburn in 1874. He is a member of Androscoggin County, Maine, and American Medical Associations, is a fellow of the American Academy of Medicine, ex-member of the U. S. Examining Board for Pensions, medical director of the Maine Benefit Life Insurance Association, was formerly surgeon and major of the 1st Regt. Inf., M. V. M., and is medical officer of the Grand Trunk Railway, and an attending surgeon of Central Maine General Hospital.
William Kilbourne, M.D., was born in 1802, in Fitchburg, Mass. He was dependent upon his own resources, but educated himself thoroughly for the medical profession. He studied with Dr Porter of Thetford, Vt, attended lectures at and was graduated from Vermont Medical College. In 1848 he came to Auburn from Wilton, at once engaged in a large, lucrative practice, and was in the front rank of physicians. At the time of his death he was one of the oldest practitioners in the county, and was highly esteemed. He owned much real estate in Lewiston and Auburn, and contributed to the growth of these cities. He died in July, 1870, and was buried with Masonic honors.
Nathan Coy Harris, M.D., son of Amos and Judith J. (Coy) Harris, was born in Minot, January 25, 1817. He was graduated at the Maine Medical School in 1842, and from 1851 practiced his profession in Minot, Lewiston, and Auburn. Although not in robust health he was a successful and popular practitioner until his death, May 15, 1875. He was a close student, and a
651
CITY OF AUBURN.
great reader and lover of classic literature. He was a member of Maine Medical and Androscoggin County Medical Associations and an early pres- ident of the latter. He married in 1845 Harriet Ann, daughter of W. H. Woodbury, of Minot. N. W. Harris, Esq., is their only surviving child.
Henry L. K. Wiggin, M.D., was born at Wolfeborough, N. H., April 30, 1820, and died at Auburn, August 20, 1875. He came in early life with his parents to Leeds. He received an academic education, and was graduated in medicine from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, in 1847. He located first in Minot. In 1852 Dr Wiggin came to Auburn, and soon was eminent as a physician and surgeon. He was for a few months surgeon of the 17th Me. His medical library was one of the finest in Maine. He was a prominent and liberal member of the Congregational church for 20 years.
Joshua William Beede, M.D., son of Phineas and Hannah L. (Purinton) Beede, was born April 29, 1832, in Poplin, N. H. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy, was graduated at Dartmouth in 1856. He attended medical lectures at Harvard Medical College, and at Bellevue Hospital, New York, where he received his degree in 1864. He located at Auburn, June 30, 1864, and has since been in practice. He is a member of Maine and Androscoggin Medical Associations, and has been president of the latter. He is an attending physician of Central Maine General Hospital. Dr Beede has served as member of the city council, as one of the superintending school committee for eight years, and, in 1890, was secretary of the board of health.
Benjamin F. Sturgis, M. D., was born in Gorham, October 28, 1837, and acquired his medical education at Bowdoin College and Harvard University, receiving his degree from Maine Medical School in 1863. He was assistant surgeon of the 19th Maine in the Civil War, and later was a physician at New Gloucester. He located in Auburn, October 1, 1867. He is an attending surgeon of Central Maine General Hospital, and a member of Androscoggin County and Maine Medical Associations, and has been president of both the latter bodies. Dr Sturgis has been prominent in civil affairs. He has served in both branches of the city government; was mayor in 1884, representative in 1874 and 1875, and state senator in 1877, and has been entrusted with many responsible public positions.
Davis N. Skinner, M.D., son of Jordan and Eliza Skinner, was born in Lewiston, November 17, 1841. He was educated for his profession at Lewiston and Virginia, and received his degree of M.D. at Bowdoin College, June, 1867. Commencing practice at Portsmouth, N. H., he established himself at Auburn, August 1, 1872. He belongs to the Maine Medical Association, and the Androscoggin County Medical Association, of which he was president in 1889, and is an ophthalmic surgeon of Central Maine General Hospital. Dr Skinner devotes himself exclusively to diseases of the eye and ear. In these specialties he is unsurpassed in New England. A valuable volume on "The
652
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Care of the Eyes in Health and Sickness," written by him, was published in 1891.
Andrew M. Peables, M.D., son of James and Margaret M. Peables, was born in Danville, September 7, 1836. He received his medical education at Dart- mouth (N. H.) Medical College and was graduated in November, 1863. He was a surgeon in the U. S. army, and physician in Norway before coming to Auburn in 1873. He is a member and has been president of Androscoggin County Medical Association ; a member and vice-president of Maine Medical Association ; a member of American Medical Association; and is an attending physician of Central Maine General Hospital.
Stephen E. Wentworth, M.D., born in Limington, August 26, 1837, was educated at- Limington Academy and Bowdoin College, receiving his M.D. from Maine Medical School in 1865. He practiced in Lovell and Brownfield, and came to Auburn in 1873. He is a member of Maine Medical and Androscoggin County Medical Associations.
Mrs Mary Bates Stevens, M.D., daughter of Rev. George and Louisa (Prince) Bates, was born in Turner, March 18, 1839. She was educated at New York Medical College and Hospital for Women, New York City, and there received her degree of M.D. in March, 1875. She then established herself as a physician in Auburn. Mrs Stevens belongs to the Maine State Homeopathic Association.
Charles E. Williams, M.D., son of Barnard and Elizabeth A. (Herrick) Williams, was born in Durham, April 6, 1848. His medical education was obtained at Maine Medical School, Portland School for Medical Instruction, and College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, and he was graduated from the latter institution in March, 1879. He began practice at Kingfield, Me, and in September, 1880, located in Auburn. He belongs to Androscoggin County and Maine Medical Associations, has been president of the former, and is an adjunct surgeon of the Central Maine General Hospital.
George B. Andrews, M.D., was born in Paris, May 21, 1862. His medical education was acquired at the University of Vermont and Post-Graduate Medical School of New York City. He received his degree of M.D. from the University of Vermont in 1886. January 1, 1887, he located in Auburn, and is city physician and president of Androscoggin County Medical Association.
Elisha Skinner Coun, M.D., was born in Exeter, January 26, 1843. He studied medicine with Dr David Evans, of Garland, and at the Maine Medical School (Bowdoin College), and was graduated as M.D. in July, 1870. He practiced in Bradford and Garland until coming to Auburn in December, 1887. He is a member of Penobscot County, Androscoggin County, and Maine Medical Associations. He served in the Twentieth Maine from July, 1862, to October, 1863, and in the U. S. S. corps in the Army of the Potomac from October, 1863, to June, 1865.
653
CITY OF AUBURN.
Alfred Sulls, M.D., is a native of Burke, N. Y. He was educated at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and at Cleveland, Ohio, where he received his degree. He has practiced 12 years in Quincy and Marlboro, Mass. He purchased a resi- dence at No. 66 Goff street, Auburn, where he located in 1890. He is a homœopathist.
Frank I. Given, M.D., son of Joseph M. and Mary A. Given, was born in Wales, April 24, 1861. He was educated for his profession at the Medical School of Maine and Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, where he received his degree April 15, 1886. He first practiced in Auburn, and February 10, 1889, located at Hillsborough, New Mexico. He belongs to the Androscoggin County Medical Association and has been its secretary.
HOTELS. Elm House, 37 Court street (see page 605) ; Revere House, 21 Court street ; Park House, 263 Main street. This hotel is finely located, and has been recently refitted and steam heat introduced. L. C. Dunham, proprietor.
LEADING TRADERS. Oscar Holway & Co. have an extensive wholesale trade in flour. Their great store-house is on the line of the Maine Central Railroad, and 14 to 16 employés are required. They are connected with the firm of Jewett, Holway &. Co., who do a large business in grain and feed and sell by the carload.
Wood, Robinson §. Co., paper jobbers, manufacturers' agents, and wholesale dealers in paper, paper bags, twine, tags, etc., 101 Main street. This business was opened in 1882, as C. A. Robinson & Co., but the firm soon took its present title. The members are B. F. Wood and C. A. Robinson. They have developed a large business, and have an ease of outgrowing their accommoda- tions that shows rapid increase of trade.
Hill Brothers, wholesale fancy goods, furnishing goods, notions, etc., Franklin street, rear 57 Court. This business was commenced by Benjamin J. Hill, about 1865, with headquarters in Auburn, and one wagon on the road. In 1875 he located at 39 Court street. In 1880 C. W. Hill became a partner, and the firm took its present name. In May, 1890, the business was removed to their new store now occupied. Several traveling salesmen are employed, and a business of over $100,000 is done annually.
R. W. Hanscom & Co. (wholesale), furnishing and fancy goods, etc., 168 Main street. Ruel W. Hanscom was member of the Boston mercantile house of Pierce, Jordan & Hanscom before the war. In 1864 he succeeded Jacobs & Cole, dry goods merchants in Lewiston, and was in trade there until 1868, when he and Frank Bartlett purchased the store of R. M. Jordan in Central Block. In 1869 Mr Bartlett retired and Mr Hanscom began business as R. W. Hanscom & Co. C. W. and B. J. Hill were for a time his partners. Since 1886 the business has been in Auburn, and since October, 1888, in its present location. A large business is done, several salesmen are traveling, and nearly 30 hands are employed in manufacturing clothing.
654
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
L. S. Ruggles, 114 Main street, wholesale confectioner, commenced trade in 1868, and now has from four to six teams on the road. T. A. Huston & Co., 26 Main street, wholesale confectioners and bakers, have a large trade. E. F. Goss, 48 Court street, is another house in this line.
M. A. Curtis & Co., commission merchants, do an extensive business, and is a branch of a large importing house of Boston. The sale of bananas is a special feature, reaching from $10,000 to $16,000 yearly. This firm is a heavy purchaser of Aroostook potatoes and a shipper of apples. Otis Hayford & Co., Miller street, also deal in produce.
DRY AND FANCY GOODS. F. A. Bartlett &. Son, 46 and 48 Court street, is the oldest dry goods house, dating back to the days before the war, when N. & J. Dingley were in trade. . The firm of J. S. Cobb & Co. was formed with Jeremiah Dingley and Frank Bartlett as members and traded where John Dingley & Co. now do business. Later he was in company with J. O. Foss, P. M. Woodman, and John F. Eaton. By 1877 he was in trade alone and continued to sell dry goods and groceries. In 1880 the dry goods and notions house of Bartlett & Jordan was established at 1 Goff Block, which, in 1884, became F. Bartlett & Son. The business is a leading one, requiring several assistants. The Atkinson House Furnishing Co. located a branch of its business at 106 and 108 Main street in October, 1887, and do a large business in the sale of furniture, carpets, and house-furnishing goods. A. W. Fowles & Co., 87 Main street, opened their fine store April 4, 1889. They occupy the first floor and basement and keep a large stock of dry goods, dress goods, shawls, etc., and employ six salesmen. W. H. Wiggin, 66 Main street, has acquired reputation and business by devoting himself to fancy goods alone and remain- ing in one location since 1872.
CLOTHING, ETC. George W. Cobb, 57 Court, succeeding Haskell & Cobb, carries a stock of clothing, furnishing goods, hats and caps. Ara B. Cushman, 56 Court street, has a finely-selected stock of clothing, furnishing goods, etc. J. H. Twombly & Co., 52 Court street, E. Cornish, 15 Court street, are merchant tailors.
COAL, WOOD, HAY, ETC. H. R. Smith & Son, 212 Court street. The business was begun 20 years ago and has kept full pace with the growth of the city. In 1883 Charles E. Smith became proprietor, and in 1884 was succeeded by the present firm, Hannibal R. and S. B. Smith. Employment is given to from eight to twelve men. Over 6,000 tons of coal is annually sold and a large wholesale and retail business done in wood and hay. H. P. Dorman & Co., Cross Canal, Lewiston, and 144 Main street, Auburn, is another old and reliable house. Bearce, Wilson & Co. do a large business in both cities.
ICE. D. P. Field & Co .- This firm was formed in 1886 by D. P. Field, Hillman Smith, and L. G. Lord, all residents of Auburn. Their chief office is in Lewiston and their operations cover both cities. They employ quite a force and store 5,000 tons of ice.
655
CITY OF AUBURN.
HIDES. S. P. Miller, 140 Main street : F. Penley, 37 Knight street.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.