USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 63
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
Harrison Rose, son of Bradford and Mercy (Keene) Rose, was born in Greene in 1815. Bradford Rose was born in Taunton, Mass., and came to Greene in 1789. He located on lot 213, on the Androscoggin. His wife, daughter of John and Jerusha (Blake) Keene was also born in Taunton, and came when very young, in June, 1777, with her father's family, to Turner. The land journey was made in an ox-wagon, with a horse hitched behind. June 8, 1800, Bradford Rose and Mercy Keene were married. Their children were Jane, Alden, Rebecca, Mercy, Polly, John, Roxania, Emerson, and Harri- son. Harrison Rose has been one of the representative farmers of Greene. He married Lottie F. Gould, and his residence, Maplewood Farm, is one of the pleasant homes of the town. He is a Democrat in politics, a Universalist in religion, was chairman of the board of selectmen for several years, and a member of the legislature in 1861. He was in early life interested in military matters, was captain in the militia, and served in the bloodless Aroostook war. Simeon Rose came from Taunton about 1790, and settled in the northwest part of the town, and had seven children. Simeon and Ginefill lived and died in Greene. Hazael lived in Leeds, and Humphrey moved to Turner. Alanson and Solomon, grandchildren of Simeon, Sen., subsequently occupied the farm where he settled.
John Allen, a native of Pembroke, Mass., born in 1760, emigrated to Turner about 1786, and was the first collector of the town. He had been a soldier in the Revolution. In 1790 he moved to Greene and settled on lot 207 on Clark's mountain. He died in 1834, aged 74. His mother was cousin of President John Adams. His children were John and Jairus, who lived in Turner, Thomas in Freeman, Gaius went to Vermont, Isaac to Auburn, Ichabod died when 28, Sewall died when 19, Benjamin resided on the farm adjoining his father, and was born March 17, 1797, and died July 7, 1884. He was selectman and assessor for many years, representative several years, and was captain in the militia. He married Mira Blake, of Turner. She died in 1872, aged 69. They had two sons and seven daughters. Sewall, the eldest, studied medicine, married Lovisa Additon ; Benjamin E. lives on the homstead; Charlotte married Captain George T. Howe; Cynthia married Duane Mower; Lydia B .; Fannie married Dr Lewis Beal; Louisa A., married John M. Robbins, of Lewiston: Sabrina; Myra D. married David Libby. Benjamin Evans Allen was born
517
TOWN OF GREENE.
in Greene, July 9, 1842; he married Lucinda R., daughter of Andrew J. Harris, in 1884. He is a Universalist and a Democrat, a member of the Grange, and tills the ancestral acres.
Elisha Keen about 1790 settled on a farm on the river. He had seven sons and six daughters. Elisha and Lincoln lived in Auburn, John at Keen's Corner, Samuel and Blake in Turner, Abiathar in Leeds. S. W. Mitchell married a daughter and occupied the old homestead.
William Sawyer came from Wells about 1791, arriving, as he informed Oliver Mower, at evening with his wife and money enough to buy a gallon of molasses and a pound of tea. The next morning he purchased on credit of Jacob Stevens a bushel of corn and a piece of pork. The corn he took upon his shoulder and carried some six or eight miles to mill. With his bushel of meal, piece of pork, gallon of molasses, and pound of tea, he began house- keeping. From this modest beginning he became an independent farmer. His son, Captain Thaddeus Sawyer, who inherited his property, was a very intelli- gent man. Nathaniel L. Sawyer, son of Captain Thaddeus Sawyer, was born in Greene about 1815, and was graduated from Bowdoin in 1838. His natural abilities were of a very high order, and as a writer of prose and poetry he exhibited great originality, strength of thought, and vigor of style. He was admitted to the Kennebec bar, and practiced law a short time in Gardiner. He died of consumption in Greene in 1845. John E. Sawyer, son of Captain Sawyer, has been a farmer in Greene. It is through his efforts that we are enabled to give so full a history of the Calvinist Baptist church.
Zebedee Shaw came from Middleborough, Mass., about 1790, with his parents, and located on lot 176, cleared his farm and made his home. He was one of the early selectmen and held many town offices. He married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Rackley. Their son, Samuel, was born December 16, 1800, and died February 22, 1868. Samuel was a farmer and carpenter. His son, Roscoe V. Shaw, born March 27, 1831, married Emma Deane. Mr Shaw was a farmer on the home farm. He died May 26, 1881. Truman M. Shaw, son of Roscoe V. and Emma (Deane) Shaw, was born in Greene, November 14, 1866, and educated in Greene and Lewiston. He married, September 27, 1887, Annie S. Additon ; he is a Methodist and a Republican, and occupies and conducts the farm where his ancestors settled a century ago.
The Harris brothers, John, Silas, Moses, and Barron, came to Greene prior to 1795. They were sons of Lawrence J. Harris. [See history of Lewiston.] John had three sons: John; Joseph, who was a seafaring man, and married Cynthia Record; Jedediah, who went West. Silas had five sons: Nathaniel, a popular school teacher, a farmer, and merchant; he died in Greene; Silas, William, Aretas, and Josiah. Moses Little Harris, born December 25, 1772, was a man of great business ability. In connection with farming, he had a tannery, manufactured harnesses, and kept goods for sale, acquired wealth,
518
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
and died December 1, 1820. He was captain of the militia. He married Rachel Hooper, who died March 18, 1869, aged 95 years. They had four sons: David H., Moses, Henry S. (he married a daughter of David Thompson; their three daughters were fine school teachers), Andrew J.
Captain Andrew Jackson Harris, son of Moses L. and Rachel (Hooper) Harris, was born in Greene, January 22, 1815. He was educated at Greene and Lewiston, and resides on the extensive homestead farm. He married, December 18, 1840, Lucy Ann Greenwood, a member of the celebrated family to which belonged Rev. Dr Greenwood, once the pastor and noted preacher of King's Chapel, Boston. Mr Harris is of the famous Judge Story line. Their children are Lucinda R. (married Benjamin Evans Allen), Rev. Moses II., Greenwood (a farmer), and Andrew Jackson (a carpenter and shoemaker). Captain Harris has been selectman of Greene, and captain of militia for many years. He attends the Universalist church, is Democratic in his political views, a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Patrons of Husbandry.
Rev. Moses H. Harris, A. M., D. D., was born in Greene, May 14, 1845. Hle fitted for college at Edward Little Institute, Auburn, and engaged in merchandising in Lewiston with success. He was an original member of the Bates Street Universalist church of Lewiston, and was baptized by immersion in the Androscoggin river -the first of this faith in Lewiston to receive the rite in this form. He then prepared himself for the ministry, graduating with honors in 1870 at St Lawrence University, Canton, N. Y., and, July 3, 1870, became pastor of the First Universalist church of Brattleboro, Vt. He organized churches in various places in Vermont and New Hampshire, for eight years was secretary of the state convention, and his successful labors wrought a marvelous change for good in the church work of the state. During his pastorate, which ended in 1879, he received 337 members. He became pastor of the first Universalist church of Worcester, Mass., October 5, 1879. Here he built up one of the largest congregations and Sunday schools of his denomination, cleared off a church debt of $28,000, and, in 1884, as an off-shoot of his society, formed the Second (All Souls) church, with a church edifice built and paid for. In 1888 he received the degree of A. M. from a New York college. In 1890 he received a unanimous call to the Church of the Redeemer in Chicago, III., and commenced his labors there May 4, 1890. In June, 1891, St Lawrence University conferred upon him the degree of D. D. Dr Harris was trustee and director of the Universalist Publishing House, Boston, from 1871 to 1881; member of the executive board of Massachusetts Universalist State Convention eight years; trustee of Dean Academy (Franklin, Mass.) eight years; and was on the Board of Visitors of Tufts Divinity School. He is a prominent Free Mason and an Odd Fellow. He married in 1871 Zelia E., daughter of Ambrose Willson, of Canton, N. Y .; she is a graduate of the Col- lege of Letters and Sciences and of a French college in Montreal. Few men
519
TOWN OF GREENE.
of his years can show such results from their labors. He stands very high in his denomination.
Daniel Wilkins came from Dracut, Mass., about 1792, and located in the Harris neighborhood. He deserved his prosperity as he was an industrious and frugal farmer. He had three sons, David, Daniel (who married a daughter of Seth Herrick), and Enos, who succeeded to the homestead (Scott and Frank Wilkins are the present owners); his daughter married Eliphalet Coburn. David Wilkins settled on lot 143, and was a successful farmer, having his father's characteristics. He was called to his country's defense in 1812, to which he heartily responded, and was stationed at Bath. His daughter Araxine, married, February 28, 1867, Marshall Sawyer, son of Isaac and Eleanor ( Wes- cott) Sawyer, of Gorham. Mr Isaac Sawyer, born March 22, 1794, was a soldier in 1812, and stationed at Portland. Marshall Sawyer was born at Gorham, February 22, 1818. He was educated at Foxcroft and Charleston academies, and became a teacher. He came to Greene in 1869, and now owns and resides on the David Wilkins farm. His children are Alice M., a teacher and book-keeper; Edward P., entry clerk for Milliken & Co., Portland; Annie M., Lyndon W., John M., and Mary E. Mr Sawyer is a member of the Con- gregational church of Garland, and is a Republican in politics.
John Moulton, the first of the family in Greene, located on lot 102. The Moultons are of Norman origin, and the name was originally de Multon. As early as 1635 several of the family emigrated from England to America. John Moulton tilled the land where he settled in Greene, and was an industrious farmer, and died at the age of 86. His son Joel, born September 27, 1809, followed the vocation of his father, married Elizabeth Given, born in 1810, who died aged 80; Joel Moulton was 63 years old at the time of his death. Their son, John W. Moulton, was born in Greene, January 12, 1849, and has always resided in town. He married Mary C. Hill; they have a daughter, Clara Ella Moulton. Mr Moulton is an agriculturist, a Republican, a Free Baptist, and a good and useful citizen.
The Stetsons are descendants of Cornet Robert Stetson. [See sketch of Professor W. W. Stetson.] Batcheler Stetson, of Hanover, Mass., emigrated to New Gloucester, and in 1791 moved to Greene, and settled on the place now owned and occupied by Reuben Stetson. He married Margaret Nash, of New Gloucester. Their children were Hannah, Deborah, Turner, Caleb. Batcheler Stetson served through the Revolutionary War, and in the battle of Bennington received a charge of powder in his face. He died in 1825. Turner Stetson, born in 1788, died in 1847. He married Thankful Lombard, who was born in 1795 and died in 1848. He was a farmer, and lieutenant in the militia. His son Reuben Stetson, born March 25, 1813, followed the sea, was mate for six years, and is the only survivor of the crew that took the Stevens exploring party to Mexico and Central America. Subsequently he conducted his farm.
520
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
He married Christiana, daughter of David Thompson, a very amiable lady. He is a Republican and a Universalist. Their children were: Rev. Herbert Lee Stetson, D. D., born in Greene, October 16, 1847. When 16 he attended Edward Little Institute, Auburn, and later Monmouth Academy. His course of study was interrupted by seasons spent in teaching. In 1868 he entered Colby University. He removed to Illinois in 1871, was ordained at Griggs. ville, September 16, and was in charge of the Baptist church for three years. He added many to the church, and through his instrumentality a meeting-house costing $15,000 was built. From 1874 until 1878 he attended Morgan Park Theological Seminary, and was graduated as B.D. He was then called to the Baptist church of Logansport, Ind., and remained 10 years. He was an editor of the Indiana Baptist five years, and for three years was on the board of trustees of Indiana University. In 1886 Dr Stetson was awarded the degree of A.M., and in 1888 the degree of D.D. by Franklin College. He was ealled to the pastorate of the First Baptist Church of Des Moines, Iowa, in 1887, and subse- quently was one of the executive committee of Des Moines College and teacher of the scriptures. His services led to his unanimous election as president of the college in March, 1889, which was accepted. The endorsements of his especial fitness for the position were many. General T. J. Morgan, president of the State Normal School, Providence, R. I., said: " I believe Mr Stetson has many and peculiar qualifications for the position -good sense, energy, scholar- ship, executive force, teaching power, and that which underlies all else, high personal character." The students recognize in him a true friend and coun- selor, and his untiring labors for their interest are highly appreciated. Prof. W. R. Harper, of Yale, who had been closely associated with him several years, wrote: "Eleet Rev. H. L. Stetson president, and give him full swing. Should this be done and provision made for the expenses of the next three years, the institution at Des Moines within five years would stand in the front rank of western institutions." William Wallace (see Auburn). Clement Skolfield, born June 10, 1853, has been a teacher and a lawyer in Illinois, and conducted a wholesale business in Indiana. Since 1884 he has resided on the home farm. James Henry, born May 27, 1855, died May 2, 1884. He was a farmer and a very successful teacher, greatly esteemed and beloved.
Benjamin Parker came from Freeport about 1800. Of his sons, Benjamin was an active business man, and according to Oliver Mower was the originator of the business of Greene Corner. He erected the house and barn at the Corner, now owned by Adelbert I. Clark, more than 80 years ago; he also kept tavern, a store, carried on blacksmithing, ete., and went West about 1813. Ireson settled in town. Edward died in the War of 1812. Ingerson, it is thought, died at sea. William married Hannah, daughter of Deacon John Larrabee. The farm on which he settled lies on the river, and is unsurpassed for ease of culture and produetiveness. He had seven sons
521
TOWN OF GREENE.
and four daughters. He held office in the militia, and died September 15, 1856. Ingerson, the oldest, had a large and valnable place adjoining the homestead. Anslem C. was in trade and died in 1850. Ammi L. graduated at Bowdoin College in 1838, was a contractor, died in Auburn in 1883. William S. married Mary A. Jack; he was killed in the gale of July, 1870, while gathering hay. Alfred and Albion went to California, where they passed many years. The daughters were Almira, who married John Townsend ; Jane married Jones Bradbury ; Mary married Lincoln Jack; and Lois, John Staples. Ingerson Parker, oldest son of William and Hannah (Larrabee) Parker, was born October 8, 1808, in Greene, and was educated in his native town. He was a farmer and school-teacher, served as selectman, and one of the school committee for many years. He married first Pamelia Parker, second, Ann W. Whitman. He died February 6, 1881. Earl Byron Parker, son of Ingerson and Pamelia P. Parker, was born in Greene, March 4, 1839. He was educated in Greene, Lewiston, and Auburn, and Hebron and Peru academies, and has taught 30 terms of school. He is a farmer and a lawyer, studied with Calvin Record in Auburn, and was admitted to the bar in April, 1866. He is a Baptist and a Republican. He and his brother, Horace Scott Parker, born in 1843, occupy the homestead of their father; another brother, Benjamin, died in 1867.
John Parker, son of William, and grandson of Benjamin, was born in Greene, June 17, 1820, and has always lived on the place owned by his father, which he occupied and conducted with his brother William S. until his death by falling of the barn in 1870. This barn was 100 x 40 feet, and when built was the largest in the county. John Parker is a farmer and makes specialties of good hay and fine stock. He is a Baptist and Republican. He married, in . 1850, Mary S. Thompson, of Topsham. They have had these children: Corris A., John S., Clinton T., John H., Almira J., Minnie R., Isaac N., Myrtle M.
Captain Jacob Royal Parker, son of Benjamin, Sen., was born in Freeport, January 18, 1798, and died November 1, 1874. He was an enterprising, frugal, and prosperous farmer. He moved from the river road and for several years was an inn-keeper at Greene Corner, where he was a popular landlord. He married Lois Robinson, born March 2, 1807, died August 11, 1889. Captain Parker was captain of militia in the War of 1812. His sons were Anslem and Charles, who settled in the West; Thatcher, who resided in Boston, but after- wards in the West ; Horatio died in the West; and Almeron Bodge Parker, who occupies the homestead, and is an agriculturist. He married, November 8, 1859, Eliza Ann Howe. Their children are Ralph A. Parker, A.B., teacher; Jacob L., clerk; Horatio P., and Edith S. Mr Parker is a member of the Baptist church, and a Republican in his politics. Jacob R. Parker's daughters were : Harriet, married Dr H. K. Wiggin; Ann M. (Mrs John Merrill); Alice (Mrs A. B. Crosby) ; Mary and Lois, who married successively Henry Curtis, of Auburn ; Henrietta (Mrs Charles Osgood).
522
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
James Lamb came in 1800 with three children, and his son, Major Merrick Lamb, was born in Greene that year. James Lamb subsequently moved to Leeds. Major Lamb was the only tanner in town. His sons were Thomas F. and Alonzo W.
Samuel Chadbourn came from Wells about 1800, and was particularly useful as a carpenter and joiner. Jacob K., his son, settled in Greene, was the father of John, who reared a large family of sons, who were men of good habits, and inherited the mechanical skill of their great-grandfather.
Thomas Longley (son of Jonathan Longley, born in Waterford, September 7, 1767), was born in November, 1784, and came to Greene about 1804. He was a fine-looking man, courteous and pleasing in his manners. He drove the first stage from Portland to Augusta, and was the first mail contractor on the "back route " from Portland to Augusta. He conducted staging for more than 20 years, was an inn-keeper over 30 years, and a very popular man. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married Esther Parker, of Freeport. She possessed rare qualifications for a landlady, and as a dairy woman she excelled. She made a cheese weighing 380 pounds, which she presented to Governor Fairfield. Mr Longley died November 5, 1859; his wife's death occurred in 1864. Their children were: Benjamin, who founded Longley's express, lived many years in Portland, then went to New Orleans; Samuel, a good farmer and citizen, a resident of Greene; William M .; Josiah P., a merchant in Lewiston; Cordis, a fine machinist, worked on the first ironclad monitors; Nancy, who married A. K. P. Mower, of Greene; Mary married Peter Moriscy, of Lewiston.
William M. Longley was born in Greene, June 9, 1820, and attended school there and at Monmouth Academy during the principalship of the celebrated Dr True. He resided in Portland a few years and was clerk in the office of the Eastern Express Company. Since his return to Greene he has been an agriculturist and an orchardist, and in 1859 he erected the best dwelling-house in town, which he occupies. In 1864 he was chosen one of a committee of two to recruit the balance of the town's quota of soldiers, and was instrumental in filling the various quotas of the war. Republican in politics, he represented Greene in the legislature of 1869, and has served as selectman and as chairman of the board. He is a Baptist in his religious views. He married Emeline R. Sawyer; their son, William Willis Longley, was born March, 1851, and died June, 1859.
William E. Longley, son of Samuel and Delight B. Longley, and grandson of Thomas, was born July 25, 1838. He is a farmer, a Free Baptist in his religious affiliations, a member of the G. A. R., and served his country three years as a soldier. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. William E. and his wife, Augusta M. Longley, have two children, Burton L. and Ada M.
John Thomson, a native of Wales, who came to Plymouth, Mass., in the "good ship Ann," in May, 1622, was the first of the family in America.
523
TOWN OF GREENE.
Joseph Thompson, born in Falmouth, in 1756, and afterwards a resident of Lewiston, was a lieutenant in the Revolution. His son, David Thompson, was born in Lewiston in 1785, married Lydia Stackpole, and settled in Greene. Their children were Nehemiah, Jane S. (Mrs Harris), Hannah W. (Mrs Furbish), Mary W., Christiana (Mrs Reuben Stetson), Rachel D. (Mrs Little), James H., Elizabeth S. (Mrs Fillmore), Phebe M. (Mrs Farrar), James H. Mr Thompson died December 29, 1874. James H. Thompson was born in Greene, November 12, 1822, and was there educated and has always been a resident of the town. He married, in 1858, Bethiah J. Buker. Their children were Arabella M. (Mrs Davis Sanborn), and Nellie J. (Mrs Milan Sanborn). Mr Thompson is a farmer, on the west shore of Lake Sabattus, a Universalist, a Republican, and belongs to the Masonic brotherhood. He went to California in 1850, where he remained until 1855, and was successful.
Captain John B. Hooper, and brother, David, lived on the farm formerly occupied by their father, Captain David Hooper, of Freeport, who came to Greene about 1807. He was a man of great physical power ; led a sea-faring life, and was more than ordinarily obliging as a neighbor, and gentlemanly and honorable in his intercourse with his fellow-men. They carried on carriage. making and repairing. George W., a son of David, was born in 1849 and died in 1883. He possessed very original ideas and great inventive skill, took much interest in the raising of bees, and imported some from Italy. The Hooper force-pump, now in such extensive use, was his invention, the only one of many experiments that came to completion. Hooper pond perpetnates the name of the family.
The Weymouth family was formerly in some strength here. Daniel Wey- mouth was quite prominent in affairs during the war of 1861-5. He lived where Silas H. Harris resides, on the shore of Lake Sabattus. His son, John W., resides on the Pacific coast. Joel Weymouth, son of Thomas, who lives in the east part of the town, and his son, Jethro, are the representatives of the family in town.
The Hill Family, of Greene, is descended from Joseph Hill, Esq., of Wells. In August, 1705, the Indians attacked his house, shot and wounded him severely, then struck Mrs Hill on the head with a tomahawk and scalped her, and left them for dead. They recovered, however. Mr Hill died in 1743, and Mrs Hill in 1737. Their grave-stones are ,in a good state of preservation in the First Parish cemetery at Wells. Mrs Hill's death was caused by the falling of the lid of a chest which struck her on the head, forcing the silver piece, which she wore as a protection over the wound, into her brain. This historic pair had Nathaniel, born in 1708; from him descended Nathaniel Hill, born in Wells in 1769, who moved to Greene in 1808 with his son Tristram, born June 26, 1806. Mr Hill settled on lot 104. He was a mill-wright, shoemaker, and farmer, a very useful man in the community, and served as constable for many
524
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
years. He died in 1847, aged 78. Tristram Hill married Christina Sprague, who died October 7, 1887, aged 70. Mr Hill was a school teacher and farmer, a justice of the peace for many years, selectman several times, represented Greene in the legislature, was a member of the school committee, and for several years was a wool merchant. He died December 2, 1877. Byron G. Hill, son of Tristram and Christina (Sprague) Hill was born in Greene, October 26, 1840, where he has since resided, with the exception of three years' service in the army. He was educated at Greene and at Maine State Seminary, Lewis- ton. In 1865, he married Octavia H. Lowell. Their children are : Arthur C., Walter S., Clarence B., Annie M., Lester S., Dora M. Mr Hill has been one of the superintending school committee for many years ; is a Baptist in his religious views, and clerk of the church, a zealous Republican, and a member of the G. A. R. He occupies and conducts the Hill farm, which from its elevated position commands a fine and extensive view. W. Scott Hill, brother of Byron G., is a prominent and successful physician of Augusta.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.