USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > History of Androscoggin County, Maine > Part 73
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108
598
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
worth thousands of dollars) he was only paid $1,500 for it. From the time of his arrival until 1876 he was by his energy, ability, and the multiplicity of his enterprises preeminently the leading spirit of the place. He established the mercantile firm of E. Treat & Son, now conducted by W. S. Treat, and in many and widely-varying directions he helped forward every effort to develop the village. He built at his own expense the last mile of the railroad into Livermore Falls, to fulfill his prophecy that " the whistle of the locomotive should be heard in the village in a twelve month." He paid the bills and collected the costs from the company by law. Originally a Whig, he became a Democrat on the death of the Whig party; but aside from holding the office of selectman, justice, etc., took no political positions. He was a man of positive character, yet had a friendly interest in all that made him universally popular. He was a strong Universalist, and was the chief one in originating the first society and in building the meeting-house. He died June 24, 1879.
RESIDENCE OF CHAS. L. CUSHMAN, AUBURN, ME.
ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY
(Western Division).
TOWNS FROM CUMBERLAND AND OXFORD COUNTIES:
Auburn, Danville, Poland, Minot, Durham, Turner, Livermore.
AUBURN. BY W. A. FERGUSSON.
CHAPTER XXXIV.
Auburn -Indian Occupancy -Territory -Title-Surface-Soil-Early Settlers and Lots-Incorporation - Action and Growth-Goff's Corner -Early Settlements-Stores and Traders-The Carpet Factory -First Teacher - First Hotel -Increase in Values - Business Houses in 1851 - Formation of Androscoggin County-The Great Fire - Auburn Village Corporation - Auburn Village in 1859- East Auburn - West Auburn -North Auburn-Stevens Mills - New Auburn.
A UBURN, the legal center of the county and possessor of the county buildings, is a city of energy and progress, of rapid and beautiful growth, of stirring manufacturing activity, of artistic and beautiful homes, of thoroughly American people. There is no fairer city in all the breadth of Maine. There is no city where all the certain elements of constant and steady development exist to a greater degree. There is no city with a higher reputation for those qualities which make an enjoyable residence, where temperance, morality, and culture walk hand in hand with thrift and intellect, science and wealth. Extending for miles along the west bank of the Andros- coggin, it has the most charming of locations, giving beauty of situation as well as natural commercial advantages. All of the centers of civilization in its limits have elements of beauty ; diversified and picturesque scenery of lake and mountain view, with surroundings of hill and vale to satisfy an exacting artist. And then the wealth and richness of the grand old elms and other trees that shade so many of the streets, roadsides, and picturesque homes ! It is a place to please and attract a stranger and give just pride to its people.
600
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Throughout the whole valley of the Androscoggin in the days of Indian occupancy there was not a more lovely section than that immediately adjacent to the falls and the junction of the Little Androscoggin with the main stream. The massive pines formed a vast forest-a perfect paradise of game-which stretched for miles away. The streams and spring-fed Lake Auburn swarmed with fish. In charm of nature and beauty and advantage of location for aboriginal life this place was unsurpassed. Here the fierce and warlike Anas- agunticooks kept the capital of the valley region, had their principal village, and maintained fortifications. Their fleet of canoes, their skin tents with the smoke issuing from the opening in the top, their inclosure surrounded by sharpened stakes hewed by their stone axes or prepared by fire, with their forms arrayed in the dignity of paint and feathers, presented a sight of barbaric splendor. But that life long since passed away. Only the old chroniclers tell us of its existence in a line or two gleaming out in local coloring, and tradition conjures up a shadowy semblance of the wild reality. The very site of their fort is problematical. The old annalists tell of its capture in 1690, and one account states that some of the Indians in fleeing from pursuit concealed them- selves back of West Pitch, and, suspecting this to be their place of refuge, the whites fired into the falling water, with the result of a dead Indian plunging into the stream beneath. The traces of Indian occupancy have been frequently found in skeletons, weapons, stone implements, and not many years ago the hills of their corn fields were easily discerned. In grading the streets some years since 10 or 12 skeletons were exhumed, buried in a sitting posture, with wampum and weapons.
Auburn extends about 12 miles along the west side of Androscoggin river, its greatest length being nearly 15 miles, with an average width of 4} miles. Its area is over 50 square miles, one-sixth water. It is surrounded by Turner on the north, Lewiston on the east, Durham on the southeast, New Gloucester on the southwest, Poland and Minot on the west and northwest. It includes the east half of the original town of Minot and the town of Danville, originally Pejepscot. The title to the Minot portion comes from Massachusetts through the Glover and Bridgham purchase, and that of the Danville portion from the Pejepscot Company. The first white settlements were on the hard wood high- lands away from the river, and that part now most thickly populated was left untouched many years. Auburn is connected with Lewiston by two public and two railroad bridges, and has the best of shipping facilities. The conditions for farming, gardening, fruit-raising, and stock-breeding within its limits are excellent ; the rural population is intelligent and enterprising, and the two cities afford excellent home markets.
The surface is undulating, without mountains, but hills and glens introduce mountain features into the landscape. From the elevations, some of them several hundreds of feet above the bed of the Androscoggin, a panorama is
601
CITY OF AUBURN.
presented extending to the White Mountains in the west, easterly across the Kennebec, south and southeasterly to the Atlantic, and northerly to the region of mountain and pine. Lake Auburn, formerly Wilson's Pond, is a lovely sheet of water four miles long, and two miles wide in its broadest place, of clear and pure water. It is the natural reservoir from which the city is supplied with water, and its shores are sought as a summer resort and for cottages. Taylor Pond is a smaller body of water of 577 acres southwest of Lake Auburn. Little Androscoggin river winds through the city for several miles, rushes over rapids and a fall of 70 feet, and empties into the great river at the foot of the hill where it pleases us to think was located the historic fort captured in 1690 by Major Benjamin Church, and at the place where Edward Little, Esq., chose his last resting-place and was first buried.
Auburn is noted for its valuable farms and wealthy farmers. The stock farm of B. F. & F. H. Briggs has a national reputation, is one of the leading farms of the state, and the only farm on earth owning a full brother or sister to two trotters with records better than 2.11: Warrener, full brother to Sunol 2.10g, and Sadie L., full sister to Nelson 2.10. Grenadier, one of their yearling colts, trotted a half mile in 1891 in 1.481. Daniel Lowell, E. R. Given, P. W. and Wallace R. Dill, I. T. Waterman, Ansel Briggs, Henry Merrill, J. R. Learned, Horace B. Richardson (stock and market gardening), I. V. McKenney (market gardener) have much capital invested in their farms. Among other successful farmers are Z. T. Newell, the capable superintendent of the city farm, Seth Briggs, J. H. Moore, J. W. Ricker, S. G. Tribou, George H. Dilling- ham, C. H. Record. Charles L. Cushman is paying attention to the breeding of fine horses, and his stable and stock attract many visitors.
Early Settlers and Lots .- From a plan of "a tract of land lying in Poland containing about 18,000 acres including the lands disclaimed by the proprietors of Bakerstown, with each settler's lot thereon with their names wrote in red," surveyed in August, September, and October, 1798, by Philip Bullen according to a resolve passed by the legislature of Massachusetts, February 7, 1798, we take these names of the early Minot (Auburn) settlers. 11,1653 acres were then laid out to actual and prospective residents, 7,694 remaining unoccupied.
Commencing at East Auburn the large lot 48 containing the outlet and mills and stretching nearly to the Androscoggin was occupied by Samuel Berry. Going around Lake Auburn by the south and west we find the lots in this order: William Briggs No. 49, Arauna Briggs 59, Wm Briggs, Jr, 60, A. Dwinell 23, vacant 24, Wm Woodward 65, Elijah Record 64, John Todd 63, Squire Caswell 62, Samuel Jackson 61, James Packard 36, Joel Simmons 33, Joseph Daws 32, Cushing Daws 31, Job Caswell 28, Isaac Washburn 23, Nicholas Bray 22, Nathan Niles 21, John Staples 16, Simeon Caswell 15, David Head 103, [These last three include the head of the lake.] James Willis 5, Edward Packard 46, Jacob Packard 45, Alnathan Packard 38, Elijah Fisher 40, vacant 18. No. 49 on the Androscoggin is vacant ; this commences at the Danville line, runs 120 rods along the Androscoggin and 280 back from the river along the same line. Going up the river the lots above this are in
602
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
consecutive order A. Dwinell 55, Caleb Lincoln 58, Joshua Taylor 54 and 58 back of the first, Thomas Taylor 53 and 57 in the rear. On 53 is the mouth of the outlet of Lake Auburn. Next is Benjamin Pettingill 52, Philip Peasley 51, [The Taylors, Pettingill, and Peasley were here in 1795.] four vacant lots 21, 20, 19, 16, Thomas Little 50, John Dilling- ham 44, Elijah Record 43, 42, Wm Francis 41, joining Turner. Back of Francis on the north line 11, 4, 3 were vacant; then came Wm True 1, Daniel Briggs 9, and 2 in north corner vacant. Just north of Elijah Fisher's lot 40 were Nathaniel Ingersol 8, Zibe Eaton's heirs 13, and the west part of 14 Isaac Allen. The east part of 14 was settled by Amos Harvey. North of Eaton and Allen was B. Beals 12, north of Ingersol was 9, occupied by T. Abbott and Wm Francis; north of this Nathaniel Ingersol also owned lot 10. The tier of lots west of these last going toward A. Packard's 38, were Abel Allen 5 and 6, Lemuel Nash 7, Alexander Monroe 39. Abel Allen has another 6 laid out back of 5. South of this is Jeremiah Dillingham 7, Isaac Dillingham 8, Jacob Leavitt 47.V West of these and south of Wm True 1, are John Dillingham 2, Wm True 3, George Tow [n]send 4 to James Willis 5. West of 2, are Gershom Holmes 10, Joseph Johnson 11; south of 11 are Asa Haskell 12 , and Samuel Bowens 13. West of 4 is Zenas Whitman 14, and following south on the curve line next to 2 is Noah Harvey 1, Elijah Bates 18, Noah Bates 17, Dimon Perry 19,1 Rogers Terrell 20, Timothy Bailey 24, Israel Bailey 26, Timothy Bailey 24 again, Henry Jackson 25, Benjamin Clifford 30, Isaac Nason 68. James Jewett 69 stretches along and abuts on Taylor Pond. Perez Andrews 27 is between B. Clifford 30 and Job and Wm Caswell 28 and 34. Aaron Dwinal 29 is southwest of Andrews 27, and towards Lake Auburn from 29 is Zechariah Chickering 35 and Benjamin Noyes 71, who also has another 71 appar- ently a corner of the large James Parker lot 70, lying just southwest and touching the head of Taylor Pond.
East of Parker's lot is 37 settled by Christopher Young and Abiel Lapham. South of Jewett 69, between Taylor Pond and the curve line are John Downing 72, Henry Sawtel 74, Nehemiah Sawtel 75; next below 74 and 75 is Israel Bray 73; east of Bray is 28 vacant, and Seth Chandler 29. Michael Welcome 73 comes next on the curve line, following this line Daniel Jumper 82, Moses Emery 83, Ephraim Chubb 84, and 78 vacant brings us to the Little Androscoggin. Down this stream are Merrow 35 and 77 vacant, Widow Sarah Emerson 86, Thomas Bailey 87, 92, [He is said to have built Nason's mill in 1780.] Benjamin Thombs 93 and 38, Jonathan Emerson 91 adjoining Danville, and David and Nathaniel Small 94 on Danville line north of the stream. [This settlement dates to 1780. In 1786 John Nason owned a mill, and besides these here given Daniel Moody, Daniel Libby, and Samuel Starbird lived here in 1791.] Benjamin Coombs 89, Samuel Bailey 90, vacant 72, lie along the Danville line south of 91. Lots 71, 73, 74, T. Little 75 and 76, lie in the corner south of the Little Androscoggin. Wm Cordwell 78, Stephen Safford 77, James Hodgkins 80, Samuel Downing, Jr, 79, James Manuel 85, Thomas Downing 81, Samuel Downing 81, Varney on 31, vacant lots 32 and 34, T. Little, Z. Eaton, and W. Harris 30 are west of Taylor Pond. On the shore of the pond next below 32 are B. Thomb and Stephen Rowe on 33. The outlet of the pond lies on 70 vacant. Down the outlet we find Dwinel 66, Noah Hersey 69, Thomas Seabury on 67, N. Hersey and N. Eveleth on 68, Jacob Stevens 97, Elias Merrill 98, Joseph Lamb 100. Next to 49 on the Danville line Joseph Welch has a small narrow lot 101. This is nearly surrounded by 48 which also joins 49. Further back on Danville line are 47, 46, T. L. 45. Between Taylor Pond outlet and the Little Andros- coggin are these other lots: Nathan Nason 95, John Nason 96, Nathaniel Ingersol 44 and 37,
1 Perryville takes its name from him. He resided there many years until he was killed by being thrown from his wagon while loading hay. Among his children were Isaac, Noah, Ruhamah (Mrs Abram Allen), Rachel, Bethiah (MIrs Levi Perry), David B.
603
CITY OF AUBURN.
B. Thomb 43, B. Thomb and J. Boyd on 40, Pulsifer & Nason 36, and 34, 39, 41, 42 vacant. East of Taylor Pond on its shore are S. Row 65, Asa Whitmarsh 64, 62, W. Harris, Zibe Eaton, T. Little 63. Next to 62 toward Danville is E. Welch 61, next M. Collier and Deacon Perkins on 60; next toward Danville is 59 marked T. Little; "Sold to John Ran- dell," and next to this we find Moses Allen and J. Goff on 51. Lot 50 is marked S. Row and west of 50 and 51 is the large lot of Elias Merrill 99. Between 49 [the location of Anburn eity proper] and West Auburn we find these lots and owners. Elijah Hackett and E. Washburn 52, David Davis 53, James Perkins 54, Nathaniel Ingersol 27, George Curtis 25, John Gowell and Moses Allen 67, John Lowering. East of 53 and 54 are Henry Frost 56 and Samuel Berry, Jr, 57, while north of these are Darius White on 26 and Jonathan Nash on 22.
These are the "old families," and many of their descendants are living in the Auburn of to-day.
The Town of Auburn was incorporated February 24, 1842, from "all that part of Minot lying easterly of the curve line (so called)." The first town meeting met at the Congregational meeting-house at West Auburn, March 7, 1842, the call being signed by Elisha Stetson, John Smith, William B. Merrill, Benjamin Given, Charles Little, Thomas B. Little. Auburn paid Minot $1,000 to equalize the expenses of bridges. In 1843 15 school districts were estab- lished, in 1845 a town house was located at Young's Corner, in 1848 a town farm was bought, price $950; it was sold in 1852, and in 1854 the selectmen were authorized to purchase another. In 1854 there were 12 votes cast for Lewiston as the county seat and 778 for Auburn. This year Elm, Hampshire, Pearl, Pine, Oak, Willow, and Summer streets were laid out. In 1855 a com- mittee was chosen to purchase a lot and build a town house in Lewiston Falls ; $4,000 were appropriated to do this, and it was voted to call it Auburn Hall. Town reports were ordered printed. In 1856 the Stetson farm was bought for a town farm ; price, $1,800. Up to March 1, 1857, the amount of selectmen's orders from the organization of the town was $33,883.50; there was credited, in addition, on treasurer's books, $6,654.62 = $40,538.12. The assessments during this time were $38,203.76, and the town then owed $14,275.63, with resources of $9,569.35. In 1856 cast 268 votes (all cast) for a state prohibitory law; School, Pickard, Back, Pleasant, and Railroad streets were located, and that part of Danville north of Little Androscoggin river was annexed to Auburn. The growth was rapid now, and in 1861 school district No. 18 was united to No. 9, which voted to hire $3,350 to buy a lot and build a school- house. In 1863, on the question of allowing soldiers in the field to vote, 687 votes were cast, all in favor. As the wealth and importance increase, expenses rise. In 1865 $3,200 was voted for schools, $1,500 for poor, $1,200 for expenses, $4,000 for interest, $4,000 for roads, etc., and $20,000 to pay debts. In 1866 Auburn Hall was completed at a cost of $17,106.69, and the town authorized a loan of $12,000 to pay its building expenses; for digging the cellar and building the three brick stores on the ground floor, Increase B.
604
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Kimball and Charles R. Jordan are leased these stores for 45 years for one dollar a year. This year the town voted to fund its debt. In 1867 Danville was annexed to Auburn, and in March the town voted to fund the debt of Danville, and to purchase the fire-engine, etc., of Auburn village corporation. In 1868 the town cast 215 votes for, 606 against incorporating the city of Auburn. In 1869 another vote was had, 452 in favor, 365 against.
In tracing the growth, development, and prosperity of the various hamlets that became business centers, we take first that locality now the city proper. The oldest settlement in this part of the town was made on Merrill Hill, in 1789, by Jacob Stevens, Benjamin True, Jabez Merrill, Levi Merrill, and Daniel Merrill, all of Turner. Two years later all but Mr Stevens sold their betterments to Elias Merrill, of New Gloucester, who here provided a home for his large family of sons, many of whose descendants are now residing in the city.
GOFF'S CORNER. In the village that clustered around Goff's Corner two towns contributed. The line between Minot and Danville commenced " at the highest rock in the Androscoggin at the Falls," passed diagonally across Court street just north of the Elm House, and bisected the residence of Ara Cush- man. The first clearing was made in 1797 by one Marr, near the junction of Main and Court streets. He sold his claim to Joseph Welch, whose log house was the first permanent building. The second was a frame house built by Mr Dillingham in 1798 near the Falls on Foundry brook, where he erected a grist- mill. The next house was a log one, built nearly opposite the Edward Little house by Solomon Wood. The growth for 20 years was slow. By the coming of Edward Little in 1819 an element of prosperity was introduced. In 1822 Jacob Read removed a small building from Lewiston on the ice to the site of Goff Block for the first store, and also opened the first public house. James Goff became Read's partner in merchandising, and bought store and goods in 1823. In 1823 the toll-bridge across the Androscoggin (superseding the ferry that had done duty since 1812) was completed, an accomplishment of great advantage to "Pekin," as the village was called. The toll-house stood on the site of Bradbury's livery stable, and the rates of toll are preserved. James O. Emery was toll-taker, but soon was succeeded by John Smith. Foot passen- gers 2 cents, horse and wagon 10 cents, chaise 16 cents, four-wheeled phaetons 32 cents, sheep 1 cent, oxen 4 cents. Mrs Charles Clark says : " In 1826, besides James Goff's store, Stephen Lowell had a small store on the site of Robinson's drug store ; Edward Little, Esq., a law office nearly opposite Goff's store on the river side. Barker Brooks had a blacksmith shop south of this. Just below Mr Little's office Orra Raynes had a millinery shop, and below Goff's store was Jonathan Raynes's building, shop, and house. This stood where Mechanics Savings Bank stands. Jacob Read's tavern was next. It had one and one-half stories, and a busy place it was. Daniel Welch and Manning
605
CITY OF AUBURN.
lived lower down. These were all the buildings. In 1826 the Edward Little residence was built. Joseph Winslow lived some ways above the Elm House, James Goff on the site of Auburn Hall, Godfrey Lane above Winslow's. The Robinson store was built in 1831 by Thomas and Josiah Little. In 1835 it was sold to James Goff, Jr, who sold to Rev. Mr Stone, who kept a general store." In 1833 there were two merchants, James Goff and J. D. Dickinson. In 1835 Edward Little built a carpet factory on the brook near West Pitch. Thomas B. Little was agent and a flourishing business was done until it was burned about 1840. From 1845 to 1848 C. P. True & Co. (of which A. C. Denison was the chief member) did an annual business of from $75,000 to $100,000 near the bridge, their store standing nearly on the site of Bradbury's stable. They bought enormous quantities of clover seed, pork, etc., keeping many four-horse teams busy in hauling them to Portland.
As early as 1826 the Minot part was large enough to support a school, and the old red school-house, which stood until 1854, was built opposite "the patch " clay bank. The street then went past the site of the carpet factory. Turner street had not been located and the ground was covered with thick bushes. Some of the teachers were Robert Martin, Joseph, Sarah, and Mary Frye, Charles and Harriet Chase. From 1826 to 1848 religious services were held here. The first teacher at Goff's Corner was Orra Raynes, the first milliner. She married Joseph D. Davis, the merchant, and is living at an advanced age, in her quaint brick house with its garden of old-fashioned flowers, on Court street, next to Auburn Hall.
Maine Hotel .- This stands on the site of one of the first frame houses. It was one and one-half stories high when built by Zebina Hunt before 1818, but used as a dwelling until purchased for a tavern by Jacob Read in 1822. Hunt was the ferryman for many years. Elisha Keene bought Read's hotel in 1829. Edward Little bought it to stop the sale of liquor, and leased it in 1841 to James F. Davis, who later became owner. He enlarged the house, named it Maine Hotel, and conducted it with great success for 30 years. It was always the stopping place of the stages, and a temperance tavern.1 Since Mr Davis's occupancy there have been several landlords.
Elm House was built in 1830 by Josiah Little as a residence. He set out the elms which gave the hotel name, and a fine flower garden surrounded it. In 1836 John A. Briggs bought it, and in 1845 it was made a public house by Joel C. Lane. He was succeeded by several others before William S. Young took possession in 1853. September 1, 1867, W. S. & A. Young, nephews of William S., succeeded him until 1877, then W. S. was proprietor 11 years, L. C. Dunham and then A. B. Latham followed for brief periods. The new
1 James F. Davis was son of Joseph Davis, of Danville. He was a blacksmith at Goff's Corner in 1831, from 1839 to 1841 a merchant in the Thomas Little store. He was one of the earliest Odd Fellows.
606
HISTORY OF ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.
Elm House, one of the most convenient hotels in Maine, was opened by its former popular landlords, W. S. & A. Young, August 22, 1891.
Increase in Values .- Some idea of the development of Auburn may be given from the increase in the value of land. In 1821 Jacob Read owned ten acres of land between Goff's Corner and Maine Hotel. It was covered with bushes and unproductive, and when a man offered him a horse for " them ten acres " Mr Read thought the offer high enough but did not trade. Mr Read, in 1823, sold James Goff one-half acre including the corner for $100. About the same time he sold one-half acre fronting Main street to Jonathan Raynes for $100. In 1831 Mr Read bought the lot now occupied by the Y. M. C. A. building for $50, and built the Auburn House. In 1875 the Y. M. C. A. paid $4,500 for the property. The Lewiston Journal in 1876 says this of the rapid rise in value of real estate in Auburn : "Charles Clark states that Edward Little received $6,000 of the Water-Power Company for a large tract of land in Lewiston and Auburn. The land now owned by the Little Androscoggin Water-Power Co. was sold for $40,000. Now the company sells 50 x 90 feet lots for from $500 to $800. 40 years ago all the land between Elm, High, and Court streets was offered for $1,500. Now it is worth $500,000. 28 years ago Kimball & Dingley paid $800 for a 25 x 68 foot lot where the store of Dingley & Brewster stands. Now worth $3,500. 25 years ago a lot on Pleasant street, valued at $2,500 was sold for $300. F. M. Jordan 27 years ago paid $250 for the lot he sold to the Grand Trunk Railway in 1873 for $6,000. Mr Hersey gave $350 26 years ago for the Benjamin Dunn lot, now worth $4,000. Ten years ago Thomas Vosmus paid $250 for a lot on Laurel street, now worth $1,000. Charles Dunn paid $600 in 1862 for his brick-yard. The property is valued at $10,000. N. B. Reynolds asked $800 in 1868 for 72 acres south of the Little Androscoggin property on the river road, now worth $13,000. H. R. Smith gave $600 for 72 acres next north of Mr Loring, now worth $4,000. Judge Goddard 20 years ago paid $700 for all the land on the hill east of Judge May's. He has sold over $9,000 worth, and has a $2,500 slice left. Charles Ingalls 25 years ago paid $800 for a lot now valued at $3,000. Mr Jordan paid $325 17 years ago for the lot next south, now worth $2,000." These are not isolated cases, but all through the city proper a similar, and, in some cases, a greater increase is shown down to 1891.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.